Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jun 26, 2012 9:01 AM

May 2011
I had a feeling everything was working out too well for him. I'm bittersweet towards being right, though. This stupid arc is going to be prolonged then. *sigh*
Jun 26, 2012 10:36 AM

Feb 2010
BananaPeel said:
Instead of exploring all the technicalities of the situation.. What was the motive to kill?

Ive been thinking about this too...

I've enjoyed this episode, and I look forward to further investigation of this arc!
Jun 26, 2012 10:39 AM
Mar 2012
Interesting char dev between Oreki & Irisu, and the "Queen" changing Oreki's perspective (or lack of motivation).

So most evidence was in ep9, and in ep10 Satoshi's observant details + Mayaka's film tech. I assumed the cameraman & lighter (flashlight) were the filming crew so weren't part of the story, but nice surprise.

Oreki's theory's either wrong or incomplete, like Eru's uncle mystery as someone mentioned. Following might be spoiler but it's just me pulling some details...
Haba mentions rope is needed, strong enough to hold a person's weight, but not necessarily used the way Haba suggests. Maybe hold an equally heavy object etc.

Someone mentioned 2 deaths were planned (i forgot who), but the meeting memo reveals alot (Mazui translated the script but not the memo)

From Mazui script: "his arm is badly wounded." Hongou didn't plan for a severed arm or placement of the key, so theories based on positions between body, arm & key is irrelevant.

Memo (not translated, I can't read JP but they share some Chinese characters, apologies for any bad translation):

No. 31 murder weapons:
刺殺=stab - 10 (these imply votes i think, by majority, Kaitou was stabbed, so the arm is a distraction?)
撲殺=generic kill, usually in context of "slaughter of infected livestock or disease"
- 3 votes
sounds like a SPOILER but it's from the dictionary:
絞殺=twist tight, wrap around, "to use a rope to kill someone"

oil & fire? - 1
fall off from high ground? - 2

Adds up to 24 students. The top two are stab (in Kaitou's chest, supposedly defending with his arm) & "rope" (next death).

Death number:
one - 6
two - 10
invalid - 1

So majority was 2 deaths. It's a bit weird one person voted "invalid", maybe Hongou was ill that day?
Jun 26, 2012 10:40 AM

Oct 2011
BananaPeel said:
Instead of exploring all the technicalities of the situation.. What was the motive to kill?

They've been ignoring him... really something like this was mentioned in this episode about cameraman.
And this is why mystery is weak here - if reason would be given or some informations about it, than one could think about it (like in that yukata thing where it was helpfull).
Jun 26, 2012 11:33 AM

Jun 2012
It's hard enough to try and figure out a mystery over the course of a few episodes. But when you are introduced to 6 generic characters all splitting ways in a rather complex building in like 3 minutes...it's a real chore to try and figure it out. That's why I liked the camera angle. Some might call it cheap, I'd call it elegant. Looking forward to seeing the outcome.

Thoroughly enjoying this arc so far. Irisu is a nice addition to the cast and Houtarou is starting to get out of denial. I like the interaction between those two, blunt and to the point. Also completely loved that vile look Satoshi gave. Changed my score from 7 > 8.
Jun 26, 2012 12:47 PM
Jun 2012
I think I'm going to have to subscribe to the 7th person theory especially since someone pointed out that the narration did say 7 people were in the group.

Also, there's a lot of people who have been saying that it's hard to tell if Glasses Guy or Quiet Girl took the master key when leaving the office because of the camera cut, but is it possible that the cut was precisely used by the Cameraman to hide his taking the master key? As far as I could tell, the camera was at the back of the group when leaving the room.

The more I think about this, the more I have to agree that Oreki's theory is correct, but still incomplete.
Jun 26, 2012 12:56 PM

Oct 2011
My favorite episode so far. Oreki's theory made perfect sense to me and I really thought that was the end of it; the ending surprised me in a good way. This arc is turning out to be quite the thrill.

Jun 26, 2012 1:07 PM
Jun 2012
Alright so there's a cut just after they retrieve the keys from the office and there's also a cut just before they go to look for Kaitou - in both cases the cut is entirely unnecessary and camera is lagging behind the main group after the cut.

My theory is that the Cameraman took the master key during the first cut and returned it during the second cut. This resolves the part of Oreki's theory that involved the Cameraman having to traverse the entry hall and possibly having been seen by Glasses Guy. There's still no reason for the rope, but the Cameraman still needed to follow after Kaitou, which still might have got him seen if he'd taken the direct route.

Also, as a side note, when the Quiet Girl says she has a bad feeling just before entering the building, I'm pretty sure she's talking to the Cameraman.
Jun 26, 2012 3:28 PM
Apr 2009
Interesting episode, but I get distracted by something.

At some point Oreki sais that the actors are looking directly at the cameraman to show that it really was a cameraman there, but that would work if they were told to do that in the script or if the actors knew already that the cameraman was going to be the 7th character.

Probably a plothole or it's written in the script ( well if i remember correctly they don't show all the script, just the part when they open the door and they see Kaitou dead). But wouldn't that make it obvious that there was a 7th character and it was the cameraman ?

I'm starting to believe all of this is a setup.
Jun 26, 2012 4:40 PM
Mar 2012
i knew it!

nah i didn't even have any idea that there was a 7th person..

first of all it was pretty cheap to say the 7th person was indeed the cameraman and the culprit...
why? because in the whole course of movie, nobody talked to him,

duh? even if there are consistencies like the 7th person holding the flashlight, camera angle problem all leading to the cameraman as the 7th person

i still can't digest the fact that nobody in the group talk to this sneaky character, hell if he is hated by everyone but it's actually plain stupid rather than clever...

so in conclusion, i think oreki failed big time, and i'd say there was no 7th person...
Jun 26, 2012 5:00 PM

Apr 2011
gophercg said:
Someone mentioned 2 deaths were planned (i forgot who), but the meeting memo reveals alot (Mazui translated the script but not the memo)

From Mazui script: "his arm is badly wounded." Hongou didn't plan for a severed arm or placement of the key, so theories based on positions between body, arm & key is irrelevant.

Memo (not translated, I can't read JP but they share some Chinese characters, apologies for any bad translation):

No. 31 murder weapons:
刺殺=stab - 10 (these imply votes i think, by majority, Kaitou was stabbed, so the arm is a distraction?)
撲殺=generic kill, usually in context of "slaughter of infected livestock or disease"
- 3 votes
sounds like a SPOILER but it's from the dictionary:
絞殺=twist tight, wrap around, "to use a rope to kill someone"

oil & fire? - 1
fall off from high ground? - 2

Adds up to 24 students. The top two are stab (in Kaitou's chest, supposedly defending with his arm) & "rope" (next death).

Death number:
one - 6
two - 10
invalid - 1

So majority was 2 deaths. It's a bit weird one person voted "invalid", maybe Hongou was ill that day?

From Commie's translation, the lines after the vote tallies were 'Knife suggested (Hongou has final say)' and 'Two persons suggested (Hongou has final say)'. (Commie also has a typo on that page: 'How many murderers' should be 'How many murders'.)

ElessaR88 said:
Interesting episode, but I get distracted by something.

At some point Oreki sais that the actors are looking directly at the cameraman to show that it really was a cameraman there, but that would work if they were told to do that in the script or if the actors knew already that the cameraman was going to be the 7th character.

Probably a plothole or it's written in the script ( well if i remember correctly they don't show all the script, just the part when they open the door and they see Kaitou dead). But wouldn't that make it obvious that there was a 7th character and it was the cameraman ?

I'm starting to believe all of this is a setup.

Yeah, it's odd that they're not paying more attention to the script rather than the movie. If the goal is to figure out Hongou's intentions, then what was filmed is pretty much irrelevant, and likely to be full of red herrings (like the chopped-off arm). Looking at the script would have to be the easiest way to find out if the actors looking toward the camera was intentional or just crappy acting.
Jun 26, 2012 8:09 PM

Aug 2011
Well, I would be disappointed if the mystery was solved like that, so I'm glad about the rope being the unsolved item.

I thought the seventh character wasn't anything shocking considering the clues put in place. Like they said, it would have been more than obvious for the disconnected solo person to be orchestrating the murder. However, I think there is no excuse for the boring nature of the film. Even if it was mostly from a point of view shot of a character, there are ways to spice up the flow of it like many handy cam films have done.

Although, it seems like most of the audience was entertained anyways so who cares.
Jun 26, 2012 10:42 PM

Sep 2010
very fun episode, mayaka is pretty cool ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2012 10:57 PM

Nov 2011
ClementIV said:
Wow, Satoshi is jealous? I wonder why, I don't think that it is because Oreki "gets" the girls, so I'm curious.

It's because Oreki has a defined skill (solving mysterious) but he chooses to not acknowledge it saying he was, "Just lucky." Compared to Satoshi who says he has no talents

Also I don't think Irisu actually has any interest in Oreki. Remember what Satoshi said about her in Episode 8? People around her just end up being her pawns. I believe she's putting on an act just to get Oreki to solve the problem so they can continue filming.

...I'd be a bit disappointed if they do end up together though.
Jun 27, 2012 3:41 AM

Dec 2011
I don't know if someone said this already but what if the rope wasn't used for the movie anyway?
Jun 27, 2012 4:54 AM

Oct 2010
Tomodachi5 said:
Also I don't think Irisu actually has any interest in Oreki. Remember what Satoshi said about her in Episode 8? People around her just end up being her pawns. I believe she's putting on an act just to get Oreki to solve the problem so they can continue filming.

I see, she might be tricking the viewers like me indeed however I think Oreki at least got something for her. The lips + roses is something + the pink part. Surely it amounts to at least having a keen interest in perhaps her lips? Which may lead to love but that depends on how things turn out. Will Irisu not be around after the filming or will she have more appearances in the future?

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jun 27, 2012 7:24 AM
Dec 2009
The Rope is for Haba to hang himself after the movie, because he's an ass.
Jun 27, 2012 8:20 AM

May 2012
I was already so impressed by Oreki's genuis conclusion and happy that audience was amazed by it.. but that rope was a bummer..

Jun 27, 2012 8:43 AM

Jun 2012
What about this scene?

It was the preview in ep 8 and it was in ep 9, i feel like this might be some sort of clue, and there were other deaths too but i don't know, just felt like i should put this up here
Jun 27, 2012 9:31 AM

May 2012
kuroria098 said:
What about this scene?

It was the preview in ep 8 and it was in ep 9, i feel like this might be some sort of clue, and there were other deaths too but i don't know, just felt like i should put this up here

i have never seen this picture before????

Guts, known as the Black Swordsman, seeks sanctuary from the demonic forces attracted to him and his woman because of a demonic mark on their necks, and also vengeance against the man who branded him as an unholy sacrifice. Aided only by his titanic strength gained from a harsh childhood lived with mercenaries, a gigantic sword, and an iron prosthetic left hand, Guts must struggle against his bleak destiny, all the while fighting with a rage that might strip him of his humanity.
Jun 27, 2012 11:44 AM

Jan 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
Tomodachi5 said:

I see, she might be tricking the viewers like me indeed however I think Oreki at least got something for her. The lips + roses is something + the pink part. Surely it amounts to at least having a keen interest in perhaps her lips? Which may lead to love but that depends on how things turn out. Will Irisu not be around after the filming or will she have more appearances in the future?

Yeah...Uhhhh.....Let's hope this theory of yours is wrong....At the very least I hope you're wrong. If something like this happens, then i will regard this series as trash and disregard ever watching another episode of it again. I will give it a bad rating, and move on to the next one. Anyone get's in Chitanda's way and succeeds then this show is utterly horrible and not even worth my time in watching it.
Jun 27, 2012 2:31 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Ahri said:

Yeah...Uhhhh.....Let's hope this theory of yours is wrong....At the very least I hope you're wrong. If something like this happens, then i will regard this series as trash and disregard ever watching another episode of it again. I will give it a bad rating, and move on to the next one. Anyone get's in Chitanda's way and succeeds then this show is utterly horrible and not even worth my time in watching it.

I'm not worried. I believe Chitanda is actually a demon and she has utterly possessed Oreki. She is capable of destroying any who try to interfere. He is doomed with no hope of escape.
Jun 27, 2012 3:52 PM

May 2012
That was a rather good episode ^_^
I think Oreki made some simple mistakes for one reason... He used too much energy
Jun 27, 2012 4:33 PM

May 2012
interesting fact: in all 3 episodes related to the movie mystery, in the end the phrase "why didn't she ask Eba?" shows
wich in my opinion means that the next episode would be about the reason why Irisu senpai asked for Oreki's help insted of asking Eba
...... idk
Jun 27, 2012 8:09 PM

May 2011
paladin2050 said:
kuroria098 said:
What about this scene?

Those were just mental images from the "CIAO" girl explaining her theory. She wanted them to do a supernatural gore horror film.

Ikaros000 said:
That was a rather good episode ^_^
I think Oreki made some simple mistakes for one reason... He used too much energy

Right, too much blood rushed to his penis when he was thinking about Irisu praising him with her charming smiles.
Jun 27, 2012 8:45 PM

Jul 2011
Hmm I have two theories, either haba just made up a lie to make his theory more concrete or This episode was to build up Houtaru's confidence only to shoot it down shortly after.
Jun 28, 2012 6:19 AM

Jan 2008
Ahri said:

It is because of people like you i have no faith in MAL's overall rating system....

Jun 28, 2012 9:16 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Synrite said:
Ahri said:

It is because of people like you i have no faith in MAL's overall rating system....

I don't have an issue with what Ahri@ says above. Oh, I'd not share his opinion that the show would be trash as a result, but for me bottom line is if you don't like a show then you should give it a bad rating. That's what the point of the rating system is. A lot of people just disagree on what number represents a bad rating.

Personally, I also would be disappointed, and possibly drop my rating a point or two, if suddenly a love triangle developed here, unless maybe it were done in a very interesting way.
Jun 28, 2012 1:36 PM

Nov 2007
NO chitanda?! ehhhh~ and i also want fuku and Ibara. :D

about the episode, maybe being called special is a new thing to him so he kind of forgot the rope part., or no? like the hyouka mystery, maybe its just incomplete or inaccurate? oh well, whatever.
i just don't like the fact that Hotarou was cheered up by someone other than the members of classic club. Haha.

About the rope part, weeee. forgot that one.. so maybe that was the reason Haba really showed his disgreement, or maybe that was just his ego?!.

About the reactions of the three. hmmmnn.. interesting. :) i wonder how Hotarou will face it? Haha. i want him to go back as laid back person. :))
Jun 28, 2012 2:27 PM

May 2012
Cirris said:
paladin2050 said:
kuroria098 said:
What about this scene?

Those were just mental images from the "CIAO" girl explaining her theory. She wanted them to do a supernatural gore horror film.

oh i remembered it's the third theory on episode 9
sorry i wasn't interested in her theory cause that girl is maaaaaad

and if something happen and Houtarou loved Irisu
i will be so happy cause Irisu better than Chitanda

Guts, known as the Black Swordsman, seeks sanctuary from the demonic forces attracted to him and his woman because of a demonic mark on their necks, and also vengeance against the man who branded him as an unholy sacrifice. Aided only by his titanic strength gained from a harsh childhood lived with mercenaries, a gigantic sword, and an iron prosthetic left hand, Guts must struggle against his bleak destiny, all the while fighting with a rage that might strip him of his humanity.
Jun 28, 2012 2:32 PM

Jun 2012
I personally thought the "cameraman did it" was an asspull. The only saving grace was that the theory's probably wrong.
Jun 29, 2012 9:43 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
shadowtsunami said:
So let me get this straight up to this point, after solving Chitanda's problem with trying to figure out why she cried. They are now solving how this movie is supposed to end?
Well, that is one way of looking at it.
Jun 29, 2012 1:39 PM

Jan 2012
Synrite said:
Ahri said:

I cannot believe how many times I've stated that my ratings aren't professional. That being said....I don't go by ratings when watching anime anyway....Because that means i would be taking other people's opinions into account and it'd feel like i was being told what to do by them.

However, don't take what i was saying literally. I probably would end up not finishing the show because of it, but i wouldn't give it a bad rating. I just wanted to make clear the sheer disdain i would feel for this series if that happened. Besides, Chitanda is a much more interesting character than that plain girl in my opinion.

I don't mind the love triangle, but as long as Oreki knows that he belongs to Chitanda, then i'm all good. Yes. Don't kid yourself. He is Chitanda's >_>.
Jun 29, 2012 4:04 PM

Jun 2010
I'm quite proud I was suspecting the cameraperson since the first screening. But that's because I'm a hopeless fan of Agatha Christie (guess that makes me even more of a Christian than I already am ^^), so I've learnt whom to suspect (not just everybody, but everybody and the rest). I thought maybe the movie was actually about people making a movie or something like that - though they would switch to better acting upon discovering the body if that was the case. Oreki's explanation for the culprit's behaviour fits too, even if it's a little bit vague.

I really really like the twist at the end of this episode. I'd think the prep guy just made the rope thing up to support his own theory - but if it made a cliffhanger, there must be more to it. And I like the fact Oreki won and lost at the same time. His character was about to become too perfect with him accepting himself as talented (love this character development!) - but then he failed. Sure, he managed to make a great ending to the movie but he still failed to figure out how it was supposed to go. I like that, I really like that.

THAT SCENE WITH SATOSHI, HOLY CRAP, I WAS WAITING FOR THAT SINCE EPISODE 1! I KNEW THERE'S MORE TO HIM THAT MEETS THE EYE (same for all the other characters really) NOW I DEMAND MORE OF HIS CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!
Jun 29, 2012 5:57 PM

Jun 2008
Synrite said:
AnimeMangaVicki said:
Now i am really wondering why they didnt just ask Eba cuz she is Hongo's best friend so she could've easily asked Hongo about it.

Why didn't goku ask the dragon balls to wish that all villains in the universe just died, or that him and his friends can be all powerful gods?

Why didn't misaki from Kaichou wa Maid-sama! just come out and tell everyone she is a maid and worked it out?

Why didn't lelouch just walk up to the emperor and tell him to kill himself, or just take advantage his powers quicker?

Why didn't inuyasha and kogome take better care of the jewel shards and instead lost them after every ten episodes?

They all had there reasons for not doing what they did and if you want to enjoy watching anime you should just learn to understand that there may be unforeseen reasons for characters actions and just go with it.

Hmm...

All of the questions you put pretty much have easy decent answers and they don't need any leap of faith simply because you watch anime that's unrealistic. Maybe you thought those questions show discrepancies but they don't you just failed to see the obvious. The question put about Hyouka still hasn't got a decent answer though and is a disparity if a non logical answer is given on why they couldn't simply ask her.
Jun 29, 2012 6:10 PM

Nov 2011
A really good episode.
It kind of surprised me that he got the ending wrong. I actually asked myself where did the rope go in all of the cameraman situation. Guess I'll find out in the next ep :P
I really like where this anime is going, a really interesting story even though there's no actual continual story.

by the way, am I the only one who was going nuts when Chitanda started to hiccup?
That was some godamn overflowing cuteness xD
Jun 30, 2012 2:13 AM

Oct 2008
The lack of Chitanda in thi ep saddens me :(
Jun 30, 2012 11:01 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, I was totally ok with that being the resolution for the mystery. The 7th man theory was already somewhat presented in the previous episode, so it wasn't that big of a surprise. I had completely forgotten about the rope part. Just when I thought this arc was over, there is still more to it. Should be interesting next episode to probably see how it was really supposed to happen.
Jul 1, 2012 8:14 AM

Sep 2011
this bothered me tbh

Satoshi my precious plz have some self worth :( <3
Jul 1, 2012 9:27 AM

Jul 2010
anyone here who thought that hongou might have commited suicide?
Jul 1, 2012 11:33 AM

Sep 2007
I actually like that there was little Chitanda in this episode. I find her really annoying at times (every time she get curious in fact). I think this show would be a lot better if they didn't use her as Oreki motivation. Its like she does a buch of annoying shit untill he gives up and goes with. I like how Irisu got Oreki to get to work a lot better then anything Chitanda has done.
Jul 1, 2012 11:35 PM

Apr 2011
chaelmi said:
anyone here who thought that hongou might have commited suicide?

His hand was cut, so...

nope
Jul 2, 2012 5:12 AM

Aug 2011
Hotarou... BAKA!!! I didn't even forget the rope!! ¬¬
Jul 5, 2012 7:00 AM

Jun 2009
Satoshi's look bothered me a bit. He mentioned before (if I'm not mistaken) that he is jealous of Houtarou. It's understandable but I hope this jealousy won't cause any problems in the future. :/
Jul 8, 2012 3:53 PM

Sep 2010
I never really understood the rope thingy from last ep, and I still don't do.
Jul 9, 2012 10:36 PM

Mar 2011
My guess was the cameraman as well, woot! However, it seems like it was the wrong deduction.
Jul 10, 2012 1:41 PM

Dec 2009
Oh man, I also forgot about the damn rope O_o

And I thought Houtarou's answer seemd perfect... Well that is why I am not a master detective xD

5/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 20, 2012 8:14 PM

May 2010
It ws Tobi
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 27, 2012 12:59 AM

May 2012
I thought the props guy said that Hongou didn't use everything she ordered.
So that would mean the rope is irrelevant.
Aug 1, 2012 9:56 PM

Aug 2010
DAMN! Watching this pretty late in the morning just to find a shocking ending! My mind was blown at the critical mistake to this big mystery! O___O
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.