Forum Settings
Forums

Funimation and VIZ Media Provide Free Anime Via Hulu

New
Sep 24, 2008 6:16 AM

Feb 2008
A major US video streaming service Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/) opened a free Japanese anime channel on September 23rd. Funimation, VIZ media and GONG are providing their licensed titles. Three series "NARUTO", "DEATH NOTE" and "Mushihi" are already available. Hulu is going to provide "Ikkitousen", "BLEACH", "Basilisk", "BLACK BLOOD BROTHERS", "Kiddy Grade", "Tsukuyomi -MOON PHASE-". "Peach Girl" and "School Rumble" for free. These anime are only available to US users.

Crunchyroll has been vigorously encouraging anime distributors to provide free anime, but Funimation and VIZ Media oppose to Crunchyroll's business model, which allows the illegal user-uploaded materials. Their deal with Hulu may have an intention to restrain Crunchyroll.

Source: Anime! Anime!

Edited=============
VIZ Media announced that they will provide "NARUTO", "DEATH NOTE", and "BLEACH" on a P2P video streaming service JOOST (http://www.joost.com/). The animations will be the original version aired in Japan, not the edited ones for the TV airing in US.
JOOST official blog says they keep on collecting anime, and aim to become the largest legal "original version" anime sharing web site.

dtshykSep 25, 2008 4:33 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 24, 2008 6:55 AM

Feb 2008
John Oppliger (Anime Nation) also is also worried about Crunchyroll. He pointed out one of the reasons for the sharp decline of US anime industry is
Ask John said:

Mixed messages regarding tollerance for anime piracy from industry mastheads including Gonzo, ADV Films, and Media Blasters that authorize online anime distribution through websites including YouTube and Crunchyroll that continue to tacitly advocate anime piracy

Source: Ask John thread
Sep 24, 2008 9:23 AM

Nov 2007
Well, good news, I guess. Maybe I'll look at these shows that people keep talking about without having to spend any money or having a nasty devil bothering my conscience
Sep 24, 2008 9:26 AM

Dec 2007
I've been wanting to see some of these series for awhile but since I have no money this is a good opportunity.

#NBHNC
Sep 24, 2008 9:33 AM

Jul 2008
I think this was an excellent decision on their parts. Anime needs more exposure to the U.S., the audience is out there but it has to be found.
Sep 24, 2008 9:34 AM

Mar 2008
dtshyk said:
A major US video streaming service Hulu opened a free Japanese anime channel on September 23rd. Funimation, VIZ media and GONG are providing their licensed titles. Three series "NARUTO", "DEATH NOTE" and "Mushihi" are already available. Hulu is going to provide "Ikkitousen", "BLEACH", "Basilisk", "BLACK BLOOD BROTHERS", "Kiddy Grade", "Tsukuyomi -MOON PHASE-". "Peach Girl" and "School Rumble" for free. These anime are only available to US users.

Crunchyroll has been vigorously encouraging anime distributors to provide free anime, but Funimation and VIZ Media oppose to Crunchyroll's business model, which allows the illegal user-uploaded materials. Their deal with Hulu may have an intention to restrain Crunchyroll.

This is a good idea, can't wait to see it this Friday. (Check out the latest entry in my blog on MAL to find out)

By the way, what is the website address for Hulu?

EDIT: GOODAMNIT, IT'S THE FUCKING SUBS!!!
KidRyanOct 6, 2008 5:21 PM

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Sep 24, 2008 10:13 AM

Dec 2007
Good news but I wish it was available to the UK as well.
Sep 24, 2008 11:00 AM

Oct 2007
This is a good idea, can't wait to see it this Friday. (Check out the latest entry in my blog on MAL to find out)

http://www.hulu.com/
Mai Waifu~ Louise

I love her with all of my heart and soul~ <3
Sep 24, 2008 11:02 AM

Mar 2008
Saito-kun said:

http://www.hulu.com/

Thanks alot, I needed to know that ^_^.

*saves link to favorites*

Sep 24, 2008 11:56 AM

Aug 2008
duowolf said:
Good news but I wish it was available to the UK as well.

Yup, to bad it's not available in Europe.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 24, 2008 12:33 PM

Jul 2007
Super important question: sub or dub?

ilu Mathes. thanks for awesome Beato sig. <3
ilu mah_marina. thanks for awesome Beato icon. <3
Sep 24, 2008 12:38 PM

Jul 2008
atlantiza said:
Super important question: sub or dub?

From the Hulu.com site when you go to Death Note and Naruto's page:

Availability Notes:
Streaming rights to the dubbed version of this series aren't available at this time, but we will continue to pursue both dubbed and subtitled versions of all anime series.

I'm too lazy to check the rest, but they are both subbed.
FactorSep 24, 2008 12:42 PM
Sep 24, 2008 2:18 PM

Oct 2007
Hulu has anime? o_0 news to me..
Sep 24, 2008 3:34 PM

Jul 2008
This is a good idea on the industry's part, hopefully we can see an increase in the market size.
Sep 24, 2008 3:39 PM

Jul 2008
The ads every 10 minutes is a small drag, but I'm glad that I finally found a place to watch Mushishi in good quality. I think this was a good idea on their part.
Sep 24, 2008 6:39 PM

Jul 2008
Yay. They also have Speed Racer and the recent-ish Astro Boy, both dubbed.

Sometimes it doesn't seem to work on my computer though. That is to say, Speed Racer was fine but not Astro Boy (video and sometimes audio skipping, my poor ole computer using all its resourses). I'll try again later.
Sep 24, 2008 9:43 PM

Apr 2008
dtshyk said:
These anime are only available to US users.

Herein lies the problem. >_>

...Otherwise, that's pretty neat~
Sep 24, 2008 11:23 PM

Apr 2008
babynaruto1 said:
Goddamnit just use Google. Whenever someone says to go to a website, you Google it. 95% of the time whatever you're looking for will come up.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Sep 24, 2008 11:25 PM

Apr 2008
Gin-iro said:
ads every 10 minutes

Oh, fail. I was going to watch Hitchcock Presents on Hulu but now, screw them, I'm going to torrent it.
Sep 24, 2008 11:27 PM

Mar 2008
hmm, this is quite good.
~Friendship is so sweet that it can cause tooth decay~

~Respect the losers, cause without them, there'll be no winners~
Sep 25, 2008 12:06 AM

Aug 2007
Umandsf said:
Well, good news, I guess. Maybe I'll look at these shows that people keep talking about without having to spend any money or having a nasty devil bothering my conscience

I agree with my devil when he says to DL more anime.

This is alright, but ads every 10 minutes? Thats pretty stupid.
Sep 25, 2008 12:27 AM

Nov 2007
Hulu only for US T_T
Hooray for Crunchyroll.
Sep 25, 2008 3:01 AM

Sep 2008
They're right about the Crunchyroll part, this is a great thing for streamers, since I download from fansubbers, I don't care tho'.
Sep 25, 2008 4:16 AM

Jul 2007
WAIT... subbed anime online? Good job. Unfortunately I live in Canada. It's certainly a good thing that they're extending some ridiculous copyright laws over here as well so that we can share these kinds of things.

I just hope I don't get sued for linking websites in the future.
asandariSep 25, 2008 4:22 AM
Sep 25, 2008 10:20 AM

Mar 2008
LoveWifeLunch said:
babynaruto1 said:
Goddamnit just use Google. Whenever someone says to go to a website, you Google it. 95% of the time whatever you're looking for will come up.

Maybe I choose not to Google it, huh? Maybe I want to interact more with people online, ever thought of that?

*Ends this discussion*

Sep 25, 2008 2:16 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AWESOME!:D

THEY'VE FINALLY REALIZED HOW IMPORTANT WE HAVE ON THEIR BUSINESS!!!
Sep 25, 2008 3:18 PM

Jul 2007
More free, legal anime is ALWAYS a good thing! There's even a few series I want to see that got put up~

oh, these little earthquakes
Sep 25, 2008 9:43 PM

Jun 2008
Interesting, just getting ready to watch School Rumble as a matter of fact.
Oct 5, 2008 11:24 PM

Sep 2008
To bad I never stream anime, but this site seems good to promote anime and for the people who think its wrong to download or stream licened anime.
Oct 6, 2008 8:09 AM
Feb 2008
why are people saying they hate the ads? ads are the only way they can make money and still give us something "free". plus, the ads are only 10-30 seconds long. some people just get on my nerves when everything doesn't go their way all the time.

oh and i think its good they are fighting crunchyroll. yes they do have mods to check on uploads, but they can only take something down when a mod logs in, right? so until that mod logs in, their is illegal anime streaming--not good.

most of us torrent or watch streaming anime nowaday but change is for the better, even if it is discouraged at first.
Oct 6, 2008 12:21 PM

Dec 2007
Plate said:
Gin-iro said:
ads every 10 minutes

Oh, fail. I was going to watch Hitchcock Presents on Hulu but now, screw them, I'm going to torrent it.

OH NO! I have to sit through a 30 second ad like everyone else has to when these shows air on TV! Oh, woe is me! The website hates me! I'm gonna use the illegal option just to stick it to them for this one insignificant complaint!

Man, grow out of your diapers. It's one ad about every 10 minutes for a 25-minute show. Big effin' deal. I think it's a great idea. The ads are there so the site can still, I dunno, run? Some people have no patience.
CCZillaOct 6, 2008 12:58 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2008 3:27 PM

Sep 2008
The day I have to pay for anime is the day I stop watching.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Guidelines!
Oct 6, 2008 11:40 PM

Aug 2007
CCZilla said:
Plate said:
Gin-iro said:
ads every 10 minutes

OH NO! I have to sit through a 30 second ad like everyone else has to when these shows air on TV! Oh, woe is me! The website hates me! I'm gonna use the illegal option just to stick it to them for this one insignificant complaint!

Man, grow out of your diapers. It's one ad about every 10 minutes for a 25-minute show. Big effin' deal. I think it's a great idea. The ads are there so the site can still, I dunno, run? Some people have no patience.

Hardly anybody cares anyway. Do you seriously think everybody on this site has watched anime legally?
Oct 7, 2008 6:34 PM

Jun 2008
If we did...Nah, it's impossible.There's NO way.
Oct 9, 2008 3:12 PM

Mar 2007
Well hulu is a kick ass site since this is the legit way i can watch Heroes and other NBC shows whenever i want and they have a 720p stream also. Its streaming but you can hardly see any difference even when you see it on a 42" HDtv.

also, theeres little dots on the bottom for advertisments at the most, they're 19 to 30 seconds long. and for fucks sake what is so important in your life that you cant give up a few seconds of your time to help watching show's "legally'" get their due pay?

i swear kids these days...
looking for free stuff and they still bitch about it.
ungrateful little... (expletives)

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Oct 9, 2008 3:38 PM

May 2008
dtshyk said:
These anime are only available to US users.

Well aren't I special.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 23, 2009 12:42 PM

Feb 2008
Hulu is going to charge its user on 2010

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354672,00.asp#
Oct 23, 2009 12:58 PM

May 2009
But I don't use Hulu. Shit sucks.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
12 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

30 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.