Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 13, 2014 9:48 PM

Jun 2010
They saw fit to include scenes from an opera, Tosca, but having the characters actually sing their lines was beyond them, I suppose....more importantly, the depicted scenes doesn't actually happen in Tosca, although they do include a brief bit of the actual libretto from the end of Act I and then from the middle of Act II. Oh, well, I shouldn't take it so seriously.

apatch3 said:
...I am loving this series, it doesn't have the same uncultured sex appeal of a lot of anime nowadays - Mine Fujiko is a sex symbol but she's classy and sophisticated!

I wouldn't say trading sex for favors from a slightly thuggish middle-aged man (and even failing to get what she wanted out of it) is very classy or sophisticated. I'd say her reactions to Zenigata's treatment elsewhere in the episode actually are, though.

To say she's classier and more sophisticated than most anime sex symbols is to say nearly nothing, though; most anime sex symbols are squealing schoolgirls.

Eucalyptustree16 said:
This is not in accordance with the Zenigata from First Contract.

Lupin III just really doesn't do connections between different stories. The whole idea of First Contact, to give the characters a history, wasn't a great one to begin with.

Nitre said:
I don't like this new portrayal of Zenigata. To me he was always aiming only to catch Lupin. His character didn't strike me as one who would do that sort of stuff with Fujiko, looking at it from his appearances in the movies and the previous series.

You've hit on the core of his character; he wants to beat Lupin. Isn't everything else open to manipulation? It's not as if his character is really consistent; sometimes he's a total buffon and sometimes he's quite canny. And so this series gives us a less Boy-Scout-ish Zenigata who's actually kind of corrupt and seems to want to beat Lupin (perhaps simply by shooting him) out of pride in his own power rather than "because it's the right thing to do".
May 5, 2015 11:58 PM

Jan 2012
Gotta admit having Zenigata bang Fujiko felt rather jarring. :D Never took him for that type. That aside good bait and switch and reveal at the end. Those brief memories Fujiko had seemed suspicious though...
Nov 3, 2016 3:22 PM

Feb 2012
That blood scene, classic.

I really doubt the fire's hot enough to melt/burn the jewels... if the mask is gold, it would deform it but it's the material (in regards to the gold not the embedded jewels) that's important though.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 29, 2016 8:59 PM

Jan 2013
Decent episode, Fujiko sure acts different episode to episode.
Mar 2, 2017 5:17 PM

Feb 2016
Troll episode. Zenigata nonchalently gets Fujiko, and Fujiko in this series sees it as nothing more than a job. Meanwhile, Lupin will probably try an entire lifetime and never get it. Not that Lupin is complaining or has his hands tied, I get the feeling that he only chases Fujiko out of boredom. The funny thing is, sex means nothing to Fujiko, which may subconsciously imply that she wants Lupin to chase her forever compared to simply doing it.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jun 1, 2017 12:33 PM

Jun 2014
I thought Fujiko fucking Zenigata was super hot, this series really loves to go all out, damn.
:3
Oct 23, 2017 2:11 AM

Dec 2012
WTF! Who is fucking Fujiko?
Dude got on high heels.
I can't believe it was him. smh
Lupin's note.
LMAO at the horse taking Fujiko.
Lupin grabbing that oppai.
That laugh.
A real phantom of the opera?
She fainted.
She doesn't have a stand-in. *looks in the distance* LAWD JESUS! Fujiko oppai.
Damn you, Zenigata. How dare you grab Fujiko's booty?
Fujiko's her replacement?
He grabbed her booty again. Grr....
You tell him Fujiko.
lol at Lupin.
Bees.
Nora?
lol at the chili blood.
Dat face. Yikes.
lovers?
She burned her own face. smh
She threw it in the fire.
Tonight...they dine together.

lol at the complaints.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 9, 2017 9:06 PM

Feb 2015
Dark_Kain said:
The problem here is not Zenigata getting laid with Fujiko, honestly Fujiko used her charm on Zenigata at least a dozen of times among all the mediums, with mixed but usually positive results; never actually getting in bed, but yeah it's not so impossible.
Nor is Zenigata having an unlikeable assistant (nothing unheard of in the manga too).

The irreconcilable problem for me is Zenigata trying to kill Lupin.
This is so wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start.
Seriusly, what the hell?
Zenigata would never ever fanthom to fantasize to kill Lupin.
It goes against every form, style and concept I had of the character up to this day.

Even worse: for me the whole premise of any Lupin III series up to this day has always been the (humourous, ironical, nonsensical) duel of wits in a whimsical game of Cop and Robber, where Lupin and Zenigata involve every other character just because they are having too much fun trying to beat the other (Zenigata being obviously at the receiving end most of the time).
Should one of the two die, the end of their game would be fruitless and meaningless to both of them.

In a series with Fujiko as the main character I would have no qualms if the duels between Lupin and Zenigata were less relevant to the plot.
But it is an entirely different matter if the premise of the series is crushed.
Differences in style are acceptable and even laudable, but this goes against all my expectations.

And yet the part-prequel-sorta-continuity-reboot nature of this series gives hope that Zenigata could change his nature during this series to meet the usual premise at the last episode.
Or something...

Obviously this is a problem for fans of the old series and newcomers wouldn't care, still Mine Fujiko to iu Onna to this point has been carefully respectful of all the old series' thematics just to betray the most important one...

Zenigata has had no qualms over killing Lupin in various past iterations. Mystery of Mamo being the biggest one off the top of my head.

Dark_Kain said:
The problem here is not Zenigata getting laid with Fujiko, honestly Fujiko used her charm on Zenigata at least a dozen of times among all the mediums, with mixed but usually positive results; never actually getting in bed, but yeah it's not so impossible.
Nor is Zenigata having an unlikeable assistant (nothing unheard of in the manga too).

The irreconcilable problem for me is Zenigata trying to kill Lupin.
This is so wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start.
Seriusly, what the hell?
Zenigata would never ever fanthom to fantasize to kill Lupin.
It goes against every form, style and concept I had of the character up to this day.

Even worse: for me the whole premise of any Lupin III series up to this day has always been the (humourous, ironical, nonsensical) duel of wits in a whimsical game of Cop and Robber, where Lupin and Zenigata involve every other character just because they are having too much fun trying to beat the other (Zenigata being obviously at the receiving end most of the time).
Should one of the two die, the end of their game would be fruitless and meaningless to both of them.

In a series with Fujiko as the main character I would have no qualms if the duels between Lupin and Zenigata were less relevant to the plot.
But it is an entirely different matter if the premise of the series is crushed.
Differences in style are acceptable and even laudable, but this goes against all my expectations.

And yet the part-prequel-sorta-continuity-reboot nature of this series gives hope that Zenigata could change his nature during this series to meet the usual premise at the last episode.
Or something...

Obviously this is a problem for fans of the old series and newcomers wouldn't care, still Mine Fujiko to iu Onna to this point has been carefully respectful of all the old series' thematics just to betray the most important one...

Zenigata has had the intent to kill Lupin multiple times in previous iterations. Mystery of Mamo being the most notable instance off the top of my head.

Also, to the guy who quoted that shitty neogaf post: that's pretty hilarious in retrospect since they acknowledge that exact contradiction as a main character arc. And also, just don't quote anything from neogaf and expect to be taken seriously.
Dec 27, 2017 7:52 PM

Jul 2009
Okay episode. I think Zenigata doing Fujiko kinda spoils the fun really. Fujiko would use her charms and sex appeal, but only to tease and not really go "in" if you know what I mean ;)

Also Zenigata killing Lupin doesn't really fulfill's Zenigata's desire. Which is to actually capture Lupin with his on hands. I mean yeah in other mediums he tried to kill him, but it would even satisfy him more if he actually captures Lupin.

Also, if they already know Lupin is coming. Shouldn't they have a better security :P

I know it's fiction and all. But with tech nowadays. I doubt Lupin can pull of stuff like this. But that's why we enjoy the works :)

Lol Lupin misses Fujiko's boobs.

Can't wait for the next one!
Dec 27, 2017 8:21 PM

Jul 2009
Also forgot Zenigata vs Lupin was funny as hell. Especially Zenigata Where Thou at?!?!

It's also nice to see since the current voice of Zenigata is Spike from Cowboy Bebop.
Feb 17, 2018 9:24 AM

Feb 2014
This is not Zenigata i know what they did him :(
May 3, 2018 10:00 AM

Oct 2015
Really weird to see Zenigata do Fujiko.Totally unexpected lol
Dec 8, 2018 7:30 PM

Oct 2017
Absolutely hated this episode. I was loving the series right up until they ruined Zenigata, he acted out of character and I have to give this 0 out of 5 stars.

:( don't care how nice the art is, zenigata was not portrayed well in this and his assistant is dumb.

If i'd written that episode, Fujiko would have spiked Zenigata's drink with some absinthe or something, and then she'd *maybe* shake her chest around in order to 'seduce' him. Which would amount to Zenigata bumbling over towards her and falling into a trap she had laid for him, like a big bin, which she would shut the lid on as he went to sleep.

Slapstick prideful and honest Zenigata > Crude moody and sleazy 'Benigata'

(I have decided that this episode featured Zenigata's twin brother, Benigata who is very bad)
LeeLambDec 8, 2018 7:41 PM
"Give up now Lupin and accept my cuffs"
Mar 30, 2019 2:36 AM

Oct 2012
Was pretty weird opening
I don't think Zenigata will ever succumb to Fujiko's femme fatale
Knowing Fujiko is a thief and he used to chase her all the time before Lupin came

They get screwed over twice and still continuing the acting & singing
Now that's a professional right there

Haha there's something special with Oscar (Kaji Yuki) calling Fujiko (Sawashiro Miyuki) pig woman (Buta Onna)
I'm pretty sure that's those two flirting xD

Lupin is still alone without Goemon or Jigen
On the other hand Zenigata got a underling who love Zenigata a bit too much :P

Not Zenigata I knew, he'll never shoot Lupin with real bullets :(
"Signature removed"
Jun 20, 2019 1:31 PM

Apr 2009
DoomCraft said:
I didn't like this episode at all. The plot was predictable and poorly resolved and the way Mine Fujiko was presented really bothered me. Before this episode she seemed a strong woman who isn't afraid to embrace her sexuality in order to seduce and manipulate the men around her. In this episode all she did was nail the inspector to get out of prison, despite this still being pushed around and groped by him, getting groped by Lupin and insulted by Oscar, all the while being clueless about everything. It was such a tasteless portrayal that I think this episode alone might seriously hurt my overall score of the show.

Definitely agree with you. Tasteless is a good word, I'm wondering whether to keep watching at all.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Sep 4, 2019 2:03 PM

Sep 2011
I can't believe Zenigata had his way with Fujiko. lol He was really condescending about it though, and the groping was uncalled for, to say the least. Oscar was really rude too, with the "pig-woman" and the "worthless", but I guess he is just jealous. Welp, Lupin appeared again, and even a Ghost of the Opera showed up.

It was a nice episode I guess, it's kind of sad that they had to go through all this to remain together though. People should have accepted their love, it's their business after all. But welp, the truth about "Aiyan" is out in the open, and I guess they can live in peace now. Fujiko remembered something while staring at the "river of oblivion" too. I wonder what's up, it was kind of eerie.
Jan 7, 2020 4:30 PM

Nov 2016
Damn lol, Zenigata got some action.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 4, 2020 1:17 PM

Nov 2017
I thought this was written by a woman?....

Zenigata fucks Fujiko? How the fuck does that make sense?

Like I get it female liberality and sexuality, let your freak flag fly, but she's naked in the episode before this cuz of Goemon's sword. Like how childish and horny can you be?

This is a great example of when ecchi becomes inappropriate. Ecchi is the whole plot. Like I get it female freedom and the freedom to fuck your way around and to the top...but Zenigata was always a good guy. Him fx Fujiko is just nonsense.

At first I thought it was fake but she throws his boxers at him. Like wtf?

If I was Lupin I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole for a million years, she fx the detective? Like that pairing doesn't even work. This series is less about her being a thief and lot more about her being an absolute slut with a rocking body.

...I mean this is filthy. Morally and everything. The story wasn't even there this ep.
DarkInsomnia57May 4, 2020 1:22 PM
May 28, 2020 11:13 AM

Mar 2018
What the hell is wrong with Fujiko? I'm dropping this.
Jul 16, 2020 5:03 PM

Oct 2015
totsan did it. This episode is like the antithesis of almost all part III. It ended suddenly and with no real conclusion-

And fujiko was treated for what she actually is don't cry about it.
HamazuraJul 16, 2020 5:22 PM
Jan 3, 2021 5:20 PM

Nov 2012
Oscar feels like an unnecessary addition to this, his character might just be a homage to Oscar from Rose of Versailles but his comedic relief moments are beyond annoying.

I don't mind the changes in Zenigata mainly cause I've never been a big fan of him. This hardboiled slightly corrupt Zenigata who does questionable things is the most interesting I've found him in a long time. Only thing that seemed weird was the "matter of blood" thing he mentioned which makes it seem like he only after Lupin cause it some blood ties kind of thing.

More of Fujiko's past shown, she was likely forced into child prostitution (like the ED hinted) so that explains why she so fine with being naked and using sex if the situation calls for it, cause it like second nature to her at this point in her life.
Jul 25, 2021 7:53 PM
Mar 2019
AHH Zenigata sleeping with Fujiko I read about this. Thought it was gonna be more explicit.
I wonder if Lupin will find out about this in a future episode. that would be funny.
that white outfit Fujiko was wearing I seriously thought she was gonna use to outfit for a spy mission.

The ghost's mask looks like the mask from Phantom of the Paradise (1974)
Interesting that it got a little psychological in the river of Oblivion.
Sep 28, 2021 5:07 AM
Apr 2015
Ston3_FreeN7 said:
Alright, so Zenigata doesn't want to kill Lupin even in the manga? If so, then yeah, I hope things develop to the rivalry (which Zenigata clearly enjoys) that was portrayed in the first series.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeDec 25, 2021 3:01 PM
Nov 10, 2021 9:23 AM
Apr 2015
Also, remember in the manga when one of the Fujiko Mines was Zenigata's college girlfriend?
Nov 11, 2021 4:34 AM
Apr 2015
So, from what I gather, 'The Woman called Fujiko Mine's Zenigata has an element of Humphrey Bogart's screen persona (gritty, hard-boiled). In the rest of the franchise, he's more like the real life Bogart (sensitive, cried easily).
Nov 24, 2021 3:45 AM
Apr 2015
Also, Zenigata was a little bit sexist towards Melon Ganimard in Part 2 Episode 28.
Jan 30, 2022 3:21 AM
May 2018
Fujiko sleeping with Zenigata is OOC for both of them. Through all the Lupin series, movies and specials all Fujiko does is woo in people without ever actually having sex. There are rare scenes of her and Lupin getting intimate but even iwith the most handsome rich guys she's trying to swindle she never goes beyond a kiss and being like "get me that shiny thing, then we will do it", so the fact that she has sex with the ugly, poor Zenigata instead of just smashing a vase on his head right before doing it or something, it just doesn't make sense. On the other hand, Zenigata is always portrayed as inexeperienced when it comes to women and will get frozen up by a kiss on the cheek. It's funny how this series is written by a woman yet she makes Fujiko a bigger slut than all the other Lupin series combined.
Sep 1, 2022 8:41 AM

Apr 2016
Fujiko was basically a thing this episode barely doing anything unlike previous episode when she was at least more proactive.

The story could have been more entertaining if the forbidden love felt some urgency and not just a Prima Donna and a old stagehand but then if theatre people are over dramatic about the simplest thing I can imagine the opera crowd is not any better.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

octal9 - Apr 19, 2012

57 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 8, 2:10 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Apr 11, 2012

65 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 8, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

samuraitastic - Apr 4, 2012

141 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 5, 9:40 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

m0xxxy - Jun 28, 2012

83 by removed-user »»
Jan 23, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

busterbeam - May 9, 2012

57 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 1, 2023 2:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.