Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 13, 2008 7:26 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
the thing that Woolfwood was unforgivable.Oh and that guy have the same weapon as woolfwood
Oct 19, 2008 4:07 PM
Apr 2008
I think the guy at the end was another one of Knives partners.
Oct 31, 2008 8:39 PM

Aug 2008
why i'm supposed to agree with Vash and feel sorry for the deaths of these murdering psychos is beyond me... though it is cute he believes in such drivel, makes him who he is :)
Aug 4, 2009 9:49 PM

Jun 2009
I think they are going to depart as friends now on the further episodes and will do as of their purposes here
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 15, 2009 3:18 PM

Feb 2008
Poor Vash, this ''you can't save both spiders and butterflies'' stuff keeps coming back to haunt him.

Knives was totally right about that..

Sep 19, 2009 7:13 AM
Apr 2008
Interesting episode, but Vash's peaceful mentality is starting to get on my nerves.

Also this episode had some of the worst animation I've ever seen in anime; anyone else see Wolfwood's cigarette smoke just hanging in midair?

Oct 14, 2009 11:52 PM

Mar 2009
First off. (The way Vash found that controller thing on the kid's ear was amazing!)

Second.,
I think Vash is like the nicest person ever.
But that kind of stuff could of gotten him killed, now what wolfwood did wasn't cool, but you never know that guy could of shot Meryl if he wanted to..Or even Vash.
Overall, this anime keeps me excited to see what happens next. this episode was good aswell..

Nov 17, 2009 4:38 PM
Jan 2009
I love the random appearances of the black cat.
Dec 6, 2009 8:09 AM
Oct 2009
Vash is starting to piss me off...he doesnt even want 2 kill beasts and Demons...does he know a animal died for the steak he ate a while ago..does he know by letting those evil monsters live more ppl are going to suffer...nobody dies? every1 lives? thats pokemon world......Vash's logic=FAIL Knives+1,priest+1
Feb 18, 2010 7:12 PM

Dec 2009
Secura said:

Me too but I don't recall seeing it in this episode. Perhaps I'm wrong this would be the first.

Yeah I was a little surprised he was unwilling to kill the worms too. Though somehow I found it funny. Still he was in a mexican standoff with the fourth gung-ho gunman. Seems the enemy succeeded in splitting up Vash and wolfwood. Shame. Maybe the ending of this series Vash finally does kill someone. Knives obviously has a death wish.
Such junk...
Apr 13, 2010 5:36 PM

Jul 2009
yeah, I thoug
RyanMortos said:
Secura said:

Me too but I don't recall seeing it in this episode. Perhaps I'm wrong this would be the first.

Yeah I was a little surprised he was unwilling to kill the worms too. Though somehow I found it funny. Still he was in a mexican standoff with the fourth gung-ho gunman. Seems the enemy succeeded in splitting up Vash and wolfwood. Shame. Maybe the ending of this series Vash finally does kill someone. Knives obviously has a death wish.
yeah, I had thought he wouldn't mind it and that kind of annoyed me. This episode had some things out of place IMO... and Zazie only lived for a short time. It seems like all the Gung Ho Guns have such varying backgrounds, but Trigun doesn't go further into them.
Jun 19, 2010 4:24 PM

Feb 2009
Lol the blackcats this time were being thrown! awesome!

Good episode, I think we saw 2 extremes in this episode, Vash's exaggerared believing and Wolfwood's non-exitant cold-blooded way. The thing is Vash is optimistic and Wolfwood is realist, Wolfowood probably got so pissed at Vash's way of doing things that he shot the kid. This was a nice episode and I can't wait to see where all this leads.
Jun 24, 2010 6:23 PM

Mar 2009
I agree with what Wolfwood did. Vash is funny, but I hate the not-killing part of him. It's just annoying.
Jul 2, 2010 11:43 AM

Jul 2009
AlexSadist-sama said:
I agree with what Wolfwood did. Vash is funny, but I hate the not-killing part of him. It's just annoying.

Pretty much this. Vash is too naive, as as said previously he doesn't seem to care that the food he eats once were living beings. Also, seems like we get some of Wolfwoods past in the next episode from the preview. Should be interresting considering so many of the bad guys seemed to recognize him.
BrustablettJul 2, 2010 11:50 AM
Jul 2, 2010 1:20 PM
Mar 2010
wouldn't let him kikll the worms, even xD
Aug 19, 2010 2:29 PM
Aug 2010
Well, In think Vash could have killed that huge worms. They might have killed Vash and his friend.

I wouldn't be sure if what Wolfwood did was right or wrong. We don't know for sure if that kid was a monster or not.

But I must say that Vash has beautiful dreams but they aren't realistic :( Sad but true. I think that Vash shouldn't be so naive and start to think like a realist. This is a thing which I don't like about him.
Sep 1, 2010 5:17 AM

May 2009
Vash has a strange mix of naivety and hopeless optimism, which is admirable and annoying at the same time. Wormwood... err, I mean Wolfwood is the more realistic out of the two. I kinda like his way of doing things. With Vash, it becomes very irritating the way he tries to "save both the butterfly and the spider", with the fake, awkward smile. Maybe that kid was a demon in the true sense of the word or just a good killer but that wasn't the reason Wolfwood shot him. He shot him because like he said, it would have been Vash otherwise. Also, I like the way Wolfwood has been using his weapon in the past few episodes. In the first few episodes, he just used it as a carrier for his little guns.
Nov 6, 2010 3:14 PM

Mar 2009
Now this anime is getting really serious.
Vash and Wolfwood are polar opposites, Vash is the naive idealistic dreamer and Wolfwood is steeped in hard cold reality. Both are vaild, but while Vash's naivety is easy to put down, I hope he never loses it. Which is what I expect him to have for the rest of the series.
Still, despite their different way of seeing things, it hurt to see Wolfwood walk away. Maybe after this confrontation both will reconsider their points of view and reach a compromise-they do make a great team.
Dec 8, 2010 12:39 PM

May 2010
Vash will always live in the shadows of Kenshin
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 2, 2011 10:23 PM

Jul 2009
Confucius said:

Lol...I keep thinking of Kenshin while watching Trigun. Watching Vash is getting irritating. Just think of all the people he could have saved in the past if he had killed just a few. To make up for this, he better kill Knives in the end.
Jan 13, 2011 12:10 AM

Sep 2010
UfGator11 said:

Lol...I keep thinking of Kenshin while watching Trigun. Watching Vash is getting irritating. Just think of all the people he could have saved in the past if he had killed just a few. To make up for this, he better kill Knives in the end.

I agree, the concept of not killing anything at the beginning of the series was cool, and all good, but now its just annoying. In this episode he bitched about the "kid" (demon) getting killed, which I thought was dumb, and I think the only reason they did that, was to refer to the beginning of the series when the exact same scenario happened on the ship.
Feb 23, 2011 3:38 AM

Aug 2009
Vash sure is doing his best to annoy the hell out of me. So now I know that killing monster worms is a no-no. And while we're at it, to y'all folks out there: try not to step on those little fragile leaves of grass while walking. After all, they're alive and their suffering will hunt you for the rest of your lives.
And Wolfwood, how could you? How could you save everyone's friggin' ass? mattaku...
Okay, rant mode off now. But I have to say that while Vash's principles were commendable and contributed to the charm of his character in the beginning of the series, at this point they're just vexing and idiotic.
metamorphiusFeb 23, 2011 3:51 AM
May 25, 2011 11:11 PM

Oct 2008
4 more episodes left.. wonder how it will all end.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Aug 23, 2011 2:33 PM

Nov 2007
This episode reminded me of the moie tremors. They're graboids! Haha.
Jan 31, 2012 1:51 AM

Jun 2011
With such a half-baked resolve, I wonder if Vash really has what it takes to kill Knives. Knowing him, he'd probably try to end things without killing anyone.
Mar 5, 2012 7:43 AM

Feb 2010
wolfwood did what he had to do.

Vash's yearn for "love and peace" is admirable and has gotten him this far, but how is he going to handle Knives w/o hurting him???
Mar 19, 2012 5:11 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Vash has to learn that sometimes you have to break some eggs to make an omelette.

Is it just me or do Milly and Wolfwood have a little thing for one another?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 7, 2012 11:55 PM

Mar 2011
Talk about being inspired by Tremors.
Apr 17, 2012 2:01 PM

Feb 2012
So Vash's continuing goal is to save "butterflies" from "spiders." But when it came to the choice between his own life and Zazie's, he implicitly chose Zazie's life, before Wolfwood interfered -- is he so burdened by his past sins (which aren't even entirely his own) that he still views himself as the spider?

And lol at this line:

"I hate children. They get weepy, depressed, and brush their teeth when told..."
Jun 12, 2012 4:48 PM
Jul 2018
I can understand not killing people, and I can understand not killing your average animal, even when both are trying to kill you. But when you have an arm cannon and there's big jesus sandworms destroying a city, there's something you're supposed to do.

I wonder what's gonna go on with Wolfwood now?
Jan 9, 2013 6:39 AM

Jan 2012
I think Woolfwood did the right thing. Age has nothing to do with being evil. Anyway, nice episode.

Jan 11, 2013 7:02 AM

Dec 2010
gswelcome said:
why i'm supposed to agree with Vash and feel sorry for the deaths of these murdering psychos is beyond me... though it is cute he believes in such drivel, makes him who he is :)

You are not. I myself do not agree with Vash, even though his way of doing things make him who he is.

There was no telling if the kid would forgive Vash, anyway.

As the end is near, we're finally seeing characterization. I finally like this show even if it had to become so harsh for the purpose.

UfGator11 said:
Confucius said:

Lol...I keep thinking of Kenshin while watching Trigun.

My thoughts exactly, lol.
Mar 3, 2013 9:04 PM
Apr 2011
Scribbly said:

Also this episode had some of the worst animation I've ever seen in anime; anyone else see Wolfwood's cigarette smoke just hanging in midair?

i noticed this as well lol. cigarette smoke's movement depended on him talking. i also thought the animation of the last episode felt cheap as well. oh well.

Brustablett said:
he doesn't seem to care that the food he eats once were living beings.

this is, IMO, a false equivalency. i think you can justify killing an animal to eat it if you do so humanely. being a vegetarian on this planet is presumably not an option as there is so little plant life. actually, now that i think of it, what do cattle eat, then? this is a fucked up ecosystem lol. also, if you want to get Really Hippy, plants are technically life as well, they just (we presume) have less capacity for pain and suffering than animals, but we have no real way of knowing if this is the case. any way you slice it, unless you are able to derive your energy from sunlight as those on the bottom of the foodchain do, you must end life to sustain life.

also, my assumption is that these worms are not normally a threat to humans as they immediately stopped attacking and left when he destroyed the device on the boy's head. vash didnt want to kill innocents that were being controlled against their will.

ALSO, it seemed like vash was in the process of diplomacy at the end. his words were clearly having an effect before wolfwood stepped in and cut the negotiations short. definitely wasn't a black and white "wolfwood was right, vash was wrong and an idiot idealist" situation at all, which is likely what the creators intended.

it's supposed to be morally ambiguous and was also clearly a call back to the scene on the ship where the captain had to make a snap decision and chose to jettison the dude pointing the gun at Rem.
MaxVdubMar 3, 2013 9:11 PM
Jul 13, 2013 7:01 AM
Oct 2011
MaxVdub said:
Scribbly said:

i noticed this as well lol. cigarette smoke's movement depended on him talking. i also thought the animation of the last episode felt cheap as well. oh well.

Brustablett said:

this is, IMO, a false equivalency. i think you can justify killing an animal to eat it if you do so humanely. being a vegetarian on this planet is presumably not an option as there is so little plant life. actually, now that i think of it, what do cattle eat, then? this is a fucked up ecosystem lol. also, if you want to get Really Hippy, plants are technically life as well, they just (we presume) have less capacity for pain and suffering than animals, but we have no real way of knowing if this is the case. any way you slice it, unless you are able to derive your energy from sunlight as those on the bottom of the foodchain do, you must end life to sustain life.

also, my assumption is that these worms are not normally a threat to humans as they immediately stopped attacking and left when he destroyed the device on the boy's head. vash didnt want to kill innocents that were being controlled against their will.

ALSO, it seemed like vash was in the process of diplomacy at the end. his words were clearly having an effect before wolfwood stepped in and cut the negotiations short. definitely wasn't a black and white "wolfwood was right, vash was wrong and an idiot idealist" situation at all, which is likely what the creators intended.

it's supposed to be morally ambiguous and was also clearly a call back to the scene on the ship where the captain had to make a snap decision and chose to jettison the dude pointing the gun at Rem.
My main problem with Vash's idealism is that in embracing his Idealism he tends to forget that in his case his life is NOT just his own. This is because If Vash died who would stop Knives? In this you can argue that Wolfwood killed Zazie not just to save Vash but to save every human being on the planet. When Rem risked her live only her own life was at stake not anybody else's

Also while I agree with Vash in PRINCIPLE that is killing is ALWAYS wrong, it is one of the core principles of both Christianity and Buddhism after all. It is sadly sometimes a NECESSARY wrong.

Finally I think this episode shows just how pragmatic Wolfwood is. As shown in this and other earlier episodes he CLEARLY loves children, yet we saw here that he was willing to kill one if he thought it was necessary. You know it has to tear him up inside, but he does it anyways because he feels it was what had to be done.
animaliaJul 13, 2013 7:08 AM
Dec 18, 2013 9:32 PM

Aug 2013
That planet is definitely really shitty.

Mmm, I'm not sure which side to take on what Wolfwood did. On one hand, it was a kid, and Vash seemed to be in control, even more, he cried during is sleep calling for is daddy. On the other hand, he was pointing one of is gun directly at Meryl (which could represent an hostage and the other to Vash). He may be a little kid, but what he did was clever, I'm not sure the gang of Levato are even human, they all have strange power.

Morally, it isn't justified to shoot on a little kid. In a context where multiple life are threatened, it may be justifiable.

Anyway, it was a good episode. The ending was quite shocking.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 20, 2013 6:39 PM

May 2012
A slower episode but still action packed and even quite dramatic especially that ending!
Feb 10, 2014 1:11 PM

Dec 2013
animalia said:
MaxVdub said:
Scribbly said:

Brustablett said:

My main problem with Vash's idealism is that in embracing his Idealism he tends to forget that in his case his life is NOT just his own. This is because If Vash died who would stop Knives? In this you can argue that Wolfwood killed Zazie not just to save Vash but to save every human being on the planet. When Rem risked her live only her own life was at stake not anybody else's

Also while I agree with Vash in PRINCIPLE that is killing is ALWAYS wrong, it is one of the core principles of both Christianity and Buddhism after all. It is sadly sometimes a NECESSARY wrong.

Finally I think this episode shows just how pragmatic Wolfwood is. As shown in this and other earlier episodes he CLEARLY loves children, yet we saw here that he was willing to kill one if he thought it was necessary. You know it has to tear him up inside, but he does it anyways because he feels it was what had to be done.

I think Wolfwood did the right thing, but I still respect Vash's code. It takes more courage and more resolve than anyone else in this show has demonstrated. That being said, that kid was a "demon" (whatever that means in this show) and not a regular Child and that should not be ignored, he might be an adult that just maintained the appearance of a child. Yes Vash objecting to the killing of those worms was annoying, but in the end they didn't have to kill any of them anyway.

Still I respect Vash's code because it works for him and it inspires others. People can hate on Vash's beliefs all they want, but the fact is he's survived for over 100 years practicing these beliefs. That being said I'd like to see Vash permanently injuring more vilans like Kenshin would. Also Vash could really use some more effective weapons like a taser or some sort of bullet that can electrify an enemy. Also he aught to use rubber bullets more, that way he could shoot someone in the head or something and not kill them.

In the end I believe the world needs Wolfwoods and Vashes. Practical people willing to dirty their hands only when absolutely necessary and only with careful thought. And Idealistic people, willing to risk their lives to push the boundaries of what is considered "possible", people who inspire others towards a higher level of love and peace towards each other.
Love and Peace!!!
Feb 20, 2014 10:08 PM

Dec 2010
Meritas said:
gswelcome said:

You are not. I myself do not agree with Vash, even though his way of doing things make him who he is.

There was no telling if the kid would forgive Vash, anyway.

As the end is near, we're finally seeing characterization. I finally like this show even if it had to become so harsh for the purpose.

UfGator11 said:
Confucius said:

Lol...I keep thinking of Kenshin while watching Trigun.

My thoughts exactly, lol.

except kenshin was pure drivel and nobody died. at least we get to see both sides with priest. instead of self righteous spouting from a former assassin....
Mar 4, 2014 2:29 PM

Aug 2012
...very bad episode. Animation was awful and everything else was as bad.
Sep 2, 2014 1:36 PM

Jan 2014
Not even the worms? Wolfwood is better off without him.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 3, 2014 1:40 PM

Jul 2013
Yes, it was exactly like Tremors ... did not see that episode headed that way.

I didn't think the kid would turn out to be in that gang or that Wolfwood would kill him D:
Feb 23, 2015 9:03 PM

Mar 2014
Blazed88 said:
except kenshin was pure drivel and nobody died. at least we get to see both sides with priest. instead of self righteous spouting from a former assassin....

Ah, but Kenshin did have the same dynamic. In that series, Saito Hajime was the realistic combat pragmatist filling the "Wolfwood" role as the counterbalance to Kenshin's idealism. Remember, "Swift death to evil?" And Saito did kill some of his opponents in the series, normally when Kenshin wasn't around to stop him.

In Trigun's case, though, Vash's mindset comes across as even more idealistic than Kenshin's. Kenshin, as another poster mentioned, still fought to win when forced into battle and was prepared to permanently disable his opponents if necessary in order to eliminate them as a threat. Most of the time, Vash doesn't even seem willing to go that far.
Apr 20, 2015 3:45 PM

Sep 2014
I agree with the priest

Vash's ideals are ridiculous. He's never going to find peaceful fantasy land because it doesn't exist
Jun 15, 2015 7:58 AM
Oct 2011
DaydreamHero said:
animalia said:

I think Wolfwood did the right thing, but I still respect Vash's code. It takes more courage and more resolve than anyone else in this show has demonstrated. That being said, that kid was a "demon" (whatever that means in this show) and not a regular Child and that should not be ignored, he might be an adult that just maintained the appearance of a child. Yes Vash objecting to the killing of those worms was annoying, but in the end they didn't have to kill any of them anyway.

Still I respect Vash's code because it works for him and it inspires others. People can hate on Vash's beliefs all they want, but the fact is he's survived for over 100 years practicing these beliefs. That being said I'd like to see Vash permanently injuring more vilans like Kenshin would. Also Vash could really use some more effective weapons like a taser or some sort of bullet that can electrify an enemy. Also he aught to use rubber bullets more, that way he could shoot someone in the head or something and not kill them.

In the end I believe the world needs Wolfwoods and Vashes. Practical people willing to dirty their hands only when absolutely necessary and only with careful thought. And Idealistic people, willing to risk their lives to push the boundaries of what is considered "possible", people who inspire others towards a higher level of love and peace towards each other.

Thanks for your rseponse.
Mar 12, 2016 2:46 AM

Aug 2015
The ending was great sadly the rest of the episode and the animation was mehh.
Jun 8, 2016 7:45 AM

Jan 2013
Vash value life but not his own personal well being....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNfYmPkBWzk
xxxholic on self-worth. Great Anime!

Vash trying to do the good old naruto talk no Justsu on the demon kid who kill countless people....
Wolfwood not taking risks on the emotional unstable demon kid. GG!
BornWithCHeeSeJun 8, 2016 11:12 AM
Sep 17, 2016 9:34 AM

Feb 2013
That kid was an enemy.
Oct 28, 2016 3:34 PM

Mar 2015
Wolfwood is the only reasonable person in that world full of psychopaths and pacifists.
Nov 1, 2016 12:09 AM

Dec 2013
I saw the twist with the kid coming tbh

Loving Wolfwood right now.
Nov 23, 2016 3:33 PM

Jun 2011
I hate children but Zazie's kind of illogical.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Trigun Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kie_ - Sep 9, 2008

68 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 23, 6:35 PM

Poll: » Trigun Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kie_ - Sep 8, 2008

55 by nightjasmine »»
Apr 22, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Trigun Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kie_ - Sep 8, 2008

67 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 19, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Kinda disappointed

Tomi3b - Apr 5

44 by SafeEntity »»
Apr 18, 12:59 AM

Poll: » Trigun Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Cero - Jul 2, 2008

72 by PSX_Aloe »»
Apr 14, 5:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.