Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2012 7:05 AM

Jan 2012
I don't know much about legal and illegal shit but I want to know that is downloading anime from Torrent in the limits of law?
I think that animes don't have a copyright because they appear for direct downloading on countless sites. So they are in public domain (if there is such a thing), or not. Or maybe English dubs have a copyright?
Give your opinions.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 18, 2012 7:10 AM

Dec 2009
it isn't about opinions.

Downloading anime torrents is illegal.
Jan 18, 2012 7:12 AM

Aug 2011
Any tv show/movie/music that is downloaded via a torrent is illegal, that includes anime.
Jan 18, 2012 7:12 AM

Aug 2010
inb4 SOPA
Jan 18, 2012 7:13 AM

Nov 2011
There is no opinion. Downloading anything that's copyrighted for free is illegal
Jan 18, 2012 7:21 AM

Nov 2011
Just imagine you made a movie and sold it to public for 1 dollar.
Then there are 100 people want to buy your movie.
Suddenly, someone copied it and shared it to everybody else for free.
Instead of possibly getting 100 dollars, you got 1 dollar instead.

This what happens when it's not managed by written law.

"Life is always a continuation of unpreparedness" - Evangline A.K. McDowell
Jan 18, 2012 7:42 AM

Dec 2010
What a perverse public domain consideration - AFAIK the public domain has no relevance to whether there has been a breach of copyright.
Jan 18, 2012 7:51 AM

May 2010
Oh yeah it's illegal

You really shouldn't worry about it if you're downloading something you can't otherwise get, though

And even if you do, well, tough shit for whoever created that information
Jan 18, 2012 8:01 AM

Jan 2012
If downloading anime from torrent is illegal then why is it available for direct downloads?
You don't have to pay for downloading animes directly, is it not similar to torrent? Please reply I'm just curious.
OutlawImmortalJan 18, 2012 8:08 AM
Jan 18, 2012 8:03 AM

Sep 2010
Soulja said:
If downloading anime from torrent is illegal then why is it available for direct downloads?

all anime downloads, in any form way of shape (even streaming) is illegal.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2012 8:10 AM

Dec 2011
Of course it is illegal, the companies don't get the money they deserve if you little whelps keep on downloading your anime. Err, just like me. xD
Jan 18, 2012 8:13 AM

Jun 2009
well, it's clearly illegal.
but, personally I don't think it's a bad thing. for me, downloading something free from net actually like tasting a food sample. if it's good you gonna buy it, if not you won't buy it. "as simple as that"
Jan 18, 2012 8:22 AM

Jan 2012
Leonard93 said:
Soulja said:

As far as my knowledge goes, illegal data is only available on file sharing sites like torrent, 4shared etc.
Let us take the example of the site realitylapse,com, this site has a database of many animes. If direct downloading was illegal, as you say, then this site must have been blocked or stopped or whatever. Illegal data is only available under the shield of file sharing systems.
I am not damn sure, maybe I'm wrong. Please reply.
Jan 18, 2012 8:40 AM

Nov 2011
Soulja said:
Leonard93 said:
Soulja said:

As far as my knowledge goes, illegal data is only available on file sharing sites like torrent, 4shared etc.
Let us take the example of the site realitylapse,com, this site has a database of many animes. If direct downloading was illegal, as you say, then this site must have been blocked or stopped or whatever. Illegal data is only available under the shield of file sharing systems.

Ask those in America whether SOPA had blocked it or not.
I'm pretty sure it will be blocked sooner or later.
Just remember OneManga's case, the site was forced to remove all their manga titles due to legal issue.

Jan 18, 2012 8:50 AM

Dec 2009
Innoxious said:
Just remember OneManga's case, the site was forced to remove all their manga titles due to legal issue.

Which was a damn shame. Damn good site.
Jan 18, 2012 9:10 AM

Nov 2008
Leonard93 said:
Soulja said:

Unless the website is called Crunchyroll, NicoNico, Hulu, AnimeNewsNetwork or is the site of a licensor such as Funimation or The Anime Network (Sentai Filmwors). Streaming and "download to own" are legal on those sites. You may have to pay for subscriptions depending on the service. Some are free, but are ad-supported.

Though I'm not sure if any of these will be availible in India (Crunchyroll is your best bet, by the way. Their streaming licenses tend to cover cover more regions geographically than the others)
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Jan 18, 2012 9:11 AM

Oct 2011
If anime wasn't so damn expensive (well, I dunno about other countries, but here in the NL it is) I would buy it. I am currently saving money, but once I have saved enough I can start spending money again, and I think the first thing what I'm gonna is buy some anime. I do some times feel a little guilty when I watch anime which didn't cost me anything.
I see dead people.
Jan 18, 2012 9:14 AM

Sep 2010
Sir_Lexa said:
Innoxious said:

Which was a damn shame. Damn good site.

New and better sites will always pop up.

Doubt SOPA will pass almost everyone is against it anyways even Google is against it so yeah....

All downloads are illegal unless you get them from I-Tunes.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 18, 2012 9:15 AM

Feb 2005
The question should not be whether or not something is illegal, but whether or not someone can get you and punish you for it.
And if they can't then do what you want, 'cause a pirate is free...
Roloko said:
All downloads are illegal unless you get them from I-Tunes.
Uh, or any other legal download place of course.
Jan 18, 2012 9:19 AM

Nov 2011
Roloko said:

New and better sites will always pop up.

This is also the reason. The internet is considered "infinite" and it is just impossible to check every single website. They mainly block those popular ones which got into top ranks of visited website.

Someone can simply make a website and share all anime titles he/she has. Initially, he shared the link to maybe 10 people. Those 10 people will definitely share the link to more people and eventually it will get bigger and bigger if the site is good.

Jan 18, 2012 9:21 AM

May 2008
Yes it is illegal, but so far they cant do much about it so get all your downloads in before SOPA hits japan.
Jan 18, 2012 9:33 AM

Jan 2011

And finally, OP.
Soulja said:
I don't know much about legal and illegal shit but I want to know that is downloading anime from Torrent in the limits of law?
The correct way to classify it is that 1: you're consuming stuff you have not paid for. Since you do not own a right to view the anime (let's call it X), the very fact that you watched X makes it illegal. But law isn't easy:

Torrent-> Peer to peer. It's not easily tracked. The number 1 block: ISP. Of course some ISP are corporate lovers or whatever, and will sell you out like nobody's business. But there have always been cases where ISP said no.

Soulja said:
I think that animes don't have a copyright because they appear for direct downloading on countless sites.
That would simply suggest that the 'countless sites' have a license and a right to stream/upload them, through a contract signed with the original creator(s). I don't think all of the 'countless sites' are that legal though. Major corporations would definitely make sure their asses are covered, but not so for small groups.
Soulja said:
So they are in public domain (if there is such a thing), or not.
I don't know of any anime in public domain. For a work to be in public domain, the general rule is that it is old. 100 years old should be good enough(exact dates can be checked with googling) and I think anything 200+ years old, in terms of the creative work itself, is public domain.
Soulja said:
Or maybe English dubs have a copyright?
Dubs are near worthless in terms of creative content as far as I know, as they are always shipped with original material. You don't find a 'dub' of audio voice files... So the copyright they carry would be tied in with the original material.
Soulja said:
Give your opinions.

Anyway, there are issues(and non-issues) with this:
1: Peer to peer means ISP trouble: would your ISP sell you out?
2: Generally, anime requires distribution(like everything else). This means there's an official distributor, which means an official contract. If anime X is made by Ytgasgmk company in Iceland, and they don't really care what happens in Uganda, then if you're in Uganda, you probably don't need to worry so much since no charge can be filed, unless Ytgasgmk company makes a presence in Uganda and has a distributor there, who will be quite interested in file-sharing and suing file-sharers.

Perhaps not quite applicable to the US, but if you're really in Uganda, there's probably not much that can be done against you to watch the anime.

The AGC also has to approve, and there has to be a plaintiff. This is what makes a judicial system a system: you can't have nobody suing somebody, and you can't sue without going through the legal system.

EDIT: Summarily:
Baman said:
The question should not be whether or not something is illegal, but whether or not someone can get you and punish you for it.

3: The exact legal details regarding every creative work is always the license. Downloading Katawa Shoujo is perfectly fine: it has a CC-BY-NC-ND license. GNU Public V3 is even broader, if I'm not wrong. Unlicensed work is as good as public, though the assumption is that all works' rights are reserved by their owners, so there's no 'unlicensed work' anywhere except for old works in public domain.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jan 18, 2012 9:35 AM

Aug 2011
Illegal or not, the chances of you getting caught for downloading torrents doesnt go above 0.1%.
Jan 18, 2012 9:37 AM

Jan 2011
piperz said:
Illegal or not, the chances of you getting caught for downloading torrents doesnt go above 0.1%.

The problem is that there WERE cases of people chasing the end-consumers.

As far as I know it was terribly non-profitable, and a massive waste of time.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jan 18, 2012 9:40 AM

Nov 2008
piperz said:
Unless you live in the US and attempt to download one of the big shounen series like One Piece. Funi actually caught 1,337 people doing just that. But yes, the chances of being caught are still quite low, even in that situation, and you shouldn't have to worry in the slightest if you live in India, as Funi can't do anything to people who don't live in the US.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Jan 18, 2012 9:42 AM

Nov 2011
Zmffkskem said:

The obvious judgement to make is that the movie sucked, and that the person should get out ASAP of the industry.

Inception has 8.8 rating in IMDB, ranked 13 in top 250, and it's in the top 10 of most pirated movie in Torrent.
Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield 3 are in the top 10 most pirated game in 2011.
I'm not sure how you conclude your judgement.

Jan 18, 2012 10:06 AM

Jan 2011
Innoxious said:
Zmffkskem said:

The obvious judgement to make is that the movie sucked, and that the person should get out ASAP of the industry.

Inception has 8.8 rating in IMDB, ranked 13 in top 250, and it's in the top 10 of most pirated movie in Torrent.
Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield 3 are in the top 10 most pirated game in 2011.
I'm not sure how you conclude your judgement.

I didn't know that 99% of those who consumed Inception were pirates. Great source of information.
Derpderp.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jan 18, 2012 10:57 AM

Dec 2010
Zmffkskem said:
Jack_Rav said:
What a perverse public domain consideration - AFAIK the public domain has no relevance to whether there has been a breach of copyright.
Anything in the public domain can't be copyrighted, though. ... I think?
No, you're probably thinking of confidentiality.

As an aside, there are 4 pre-reqs to gaining copyright status (at least in the UK):

1) Recorded in material form (ie. made).
2) Originality.
3) Sufficiently connected to (the UK).
4) Not excluded.

The fact that the infringed material is in the public domain is not a defence to infringement either. /wigmode
Jan 18, 2012 11:10 AM
Mar 2011
Leonard93 said:
Soulja said:

in japan streaming is legal
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 18, 2012 11:27 AM

May 2008
TenkaseiRyo said:
Leonard93 said:
Soulja said:

only when animu is under license. XD'
Psyche_IzayaJan 18, 2012 11:37 AM
Jan 18, 2012 11:59 AM
Mar 2011
Adorkable_Izaya said:
TenkaseiRyo said:
Leonard93 said:
Soulja said:

a hell of alot of anime is on Nico Nico
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 18, 2012 12:26 PM

Sep 2010
Soulja said:
Leonard93 said:
Soulja said:

Thats cause those are for mass-uploading of all kinds of content, they just dont screen if whatever is being uploaded is 'legal' or not.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2012 12:27 PM

May 2008
TenkaseiRyo said:
Adorkable_Izaya said:
TenkaseiRyo said:
Leonard93 said:
Soulja said:

a hell of alot of anime is on Nico Nico
some of them were taken down though..;
Jan 18, 2012 12:37 PM

Aug 2009
]
Sir_Lexa said:
it isn't about opinions.

Downloading anime torrents is illegal.

That is not entirely true.

If its public domain it is not illegal to download a anime torrent.Of course the only anime that is probably public domain are something like these.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6857/Momotarou_no_Umiwashi
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6654/Namakura_Katana
http://myanimelist.net/anime/7485/Urashima_Tarou
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5813/Urashima_Tarou_%281931%29

If the creator/copyright holder has given permission to download anime for free then it is not illegal to download a anime torrent.
Jan 18, 2012 12:40 PM

May 2011
this thread is full of lols

listen to ezikialrage, he knows what hes talking about
Jan 18, 2012 12:48 PM

Aug 2011
Unless you buy an anime or watch it on TV, it's illegal.
Jan 18, 2012 12:51 PM

May 2011
Tiago97 said:

not entirely true, because again, you can watch anime on hulu/youtube legally. (its the same medium as tv)
Jan 18, 2012 1:04 PM

Mar 2010
Hexis said:
Tiago97 said:

not entirely true, because again, you can watch anime on hulu/youtube legally. (its the same medium as tv)

watching anime on tv means the company has gotten the copyright holder.
while 80% of the time, youtube or other streaming sites doesn't. that is why youtube staff take them down and suspend its users from uploading them again.
vongola1314Jan 18, 2012 1:12 PM
Jan 18, 2012 1:10 PM

Sep 2010
youtube prolly not legal.
Jan 18, 2012 1:17 PM

Dec 2009
vongola1314 said:
Hexis said:
Tiago97 said:

while 80% of the time, youtube or other streaming sites doesn't. that is why youtube staff take them down and suspend its users from uploading them again.

There's official youtube channels... I think.
Jan 18, 2012 1:18 PM

Jul 2011
If you don't own anime you downloading via torrent then it's illegal.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Jan 18, 2012 1:26 PM

Jun 2007
Obviously illegal but that's not going to stop anyone from doing it.
Jan 18, 2012 1:56 PM

Dec 2010
ezikialrage said:
]
If its public domain it is not illegal to download a anime torrent.Of course the only anime that is probably public domain are something like these.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6857/Momotarou_no_Umiwashi
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6654/Namakura_Katana
http://myanimelist.net/anime/7485/Urashima_Tarou
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5813/Urashima_Tarou_%281931%29

That's probably because the copyright expired, rather than it being in the public domain per se. If it is in the public domain to a prevalent extent, it's probably because the author gave permission (barring expiration of copyright) for the anime to be torrented/whatever. By saying because it's in the public domain authorises infringement appears somewhat to be putting the cart before the horse.
Jan 18, 2012 2:09 PM

Jul 2011
Leonard93 said:
youtube prolly not legal.

If you watch on Funimation's youtube channel it is.
Jan 18, 2012 2:40 PM

Jul 2010
indeed it is

Jan 18, 2012 3:00 PM

May 2011
vongola1314 said:
Hexis said:
Tiago97 said:

same for youtube. while yes users can upload copyrighted material, that stuff is taken down. BUT companies can give permission just like TV. for example funimation has an official youtube channel where you can watch their stuff legally
Jan 18, 2012 3:06 PM

Dec 2009
Hexis said:
for example funimation has an official youtube channel where you can watch their stuff legally

If you're from the US that is. Another example of Funimation's bullshit.
Jan 18, 2012 3:21 PM

Jul 2011
Sir_Lexa said:
Hexis said:
for example funimation has an official youtube channel where you can watch their stuff legally

If you're from the US that is. Another example of Funimation's bullshit.

I'm in Australia yet I still watch anime on Funimation's channel?
Jan 18, 2012 3:32 PM

Sep 2011
I think there are a lot of conflicting statements in this thread.

Rather than saying "X is illegal" "Y is illegal unless Z" and so on. It would be better to cite the actual laws so that we can look them up to check if it's true or not.
Jan 18, 2012 3:33 PM

Dec 2011
Or just do what we've all been normally doing. I don't think this thread is going to stop or change anyone's regular habits.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9072 by animeboilolz »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

13 by epidemia78 »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 11 minutes ago

0 by ST63LTH »»
11 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

52 by LNW_R92CP »»
11 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

25 by Miyamotodex23 »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.