Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2011 11:25 PM

Nov 2006
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
so yeah, i watched the at-x broadcast. the quality was kind of yikes; i hope that was just the capper/encoder failing and it the dvd version looks as vivid as the sample caps on the site do.

the "animation" is really, really bad. i don't even know if this is a style or if it's just... bad. it was distracting and all i could do was focus on how awkward it looked.

the voice work is amazing though; kimura ryohei and toyonaga toshiyuki are as adorable as ever.

the random japanese and english text that would appear helped me out in a few places! i now know 危機感 and 臨時! i thought the effect in general was cute.

i'd say i'd like to see another episode to explain the whole alien thing, but ... unless it's actually animated i kind of don't want to. ┐('~`;)┌
Nov 17, 2011 3:50 AM

Oct 2007
I loved it! Probably also because of the strange animation! It remembered me the first season of Saiyuki, or some episodes of Kare Kano ^o^
I think animation is really a good thing about this anime because it's more art than "normal" anime. If it was like most of animes, I would probably enjoy less than I did.

I also liked the vivid colors (my DL file had vivid colors) and even much more the seiyuu!

I didn't understand everything from the first viewing so I watched it again (and again in the train ^^) ! Now I think I understand everything but... it was too short! As windy said, a lot of thinks aren't explained about aliens... and Kakashi! I wish it were a 1h30 movie!

I like it a lot but I really don't think I can recommend for everyone, even without the reaaaally small amount of BL/shounen-ai hints. If you don't like "special" animes, it's probably not for you! yet, it's only 28mn, so...
amayihNov 17, 2011 4:07 AM
Dec 2, 2011 7:30 AM
Nov 2011
Oke,it looks interesting,but where I can watch it fuul OVA? I can't find it anywhere :/.
Dec 12, 2011 3:58 AM

Aug 2010
Wow that was quite entertaining, I actually quite like the art style and aliens all look funny :3 I agree about it being short though
The BL/Shounen-ai looked more like a best-friends or bromance lulz Arikawa with Toyonaga as seiyuu was a brilliant choice XD it totally fits the character (and it reminds me of DRRR's Ryugamine lol)
I thought the drama part near the end was well done, the special effects were quite cool too; I kinda teared up a bit ._. Poor Kakashi, couldn't sleep cuz of that terrible dream and finding out the "terrible" truth from Shiro D:
Overall it's a nice change of pace from your normal anime but the plot, art style, and animation might not be for everyone
Dec 15, 2011 7:57 PM

Apr 2008
I actually really, really liked the animation. I thought the unique visuals were beautiful; the scene with Kakashi on the roof at night was gorgeous. *_*

Plot-wise, it wasn't the best ever (one or two parts kind of made me smh XD), but it wasn't bad. Though, yeah, the whole "Aliens! Aliens everywhere!" thing could have been explained more...

And agreeing with everyone else, the voice actors were awesome. :D

So in all, I quite liked it. (:
Jan 10, 2012 7:31 AM

Feb 2009
amayih said:

I think animation is really a good thing about this anime because it's more art than "normal" anime. If it was like most of animes, I would probably enjoy less than I did.

Yes, I think that the animation is the best part of it. Maybe because I'm already used to it and somehow in love with different art styles... Is like reading some Nakamura Asumiko's work, I like how the art fits the story with those long bodies or Kobato Mebaru's art for the facial details...
Anyway, It was a nice OVA. "Yaoi-tasted" totally doesn't fit this... I mean, it isn't even BL-flavored, more like good friends or bromance. The story was good, I guess the aliens aren't the most important thing of it, it concentrates Kakashi's insecurity and how a person can feel lonely and not realize what is around her. What the world is giving... "The world isn't kind with me". So why you look so happy sleeping right now? Baaaka.
About the seiyuu: TOYONAGA = LOVE. Same seiyuu for Shun from Kimi to Boku, daaawwh, so cute.
Don't know, it was a fun and the animation was good... 7/10.
loeyJan 10, 2012 7:35 AM
Feb 13, 2012 11:21 AM
May 2007
I pretty liked how this ended, honestly I was moved. Saw its director's interview before and had to give it a try. Pretty art. I also wonder if the ending song is anywhere to be released in full version. Hopefully in an album/single by Shikata-sama soon.
Feb 27, 2012 11:57 AM

Mar 2009
I guess it was Okay... 6\10
I particularly enjoyed the work of seyuu since the drawings didn't need much attention or rather the colors were too vivid. As for the story it was sweet - cute... but I guess the topic of "I am alone and nobody needs me - no you are not !" is a bit too old fashion but still cute.

Mar 3, 2012 9:24 AM

May 2010
Man, I've been trying to find where to watch this for months and I finally found it. XD
I liked it. The animation style is very unique and interesting. The ending reminded me of Summer Wars. :P The Akiko Shikata song was pretty, too. ^_^
7/10
Mar 25, 2012 2:18 AM

Jan 2010
Animation is great ! ♥
Akiko Shikata in the end ! WOW ! ♥

but the beginning is so boring :(

all in all : 6/10 ))

Now I'm waiting 2nd OVA =))
not bad...))
Mar 25, 2012 7:08 PM

Oct 2010
I really liked it! !
(。・ω・。)

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Mar 30, 2012 3:26 AM
Sep 2011
The visuals look really appealing with its vibrant colours and the unique character designs and the art direction is well handled in general .

The only thing that annoyed me a bit was Arikawa's flamboyant behaviour and the emphasis on his "cute" personality and the melodrama in the last part.
Aug 20, 2012 7:11 PM

Dec 2008
The story, the quirky animation, and the seiyuus...I LOVED everything about it. Even made me shed a few tears.

EDIT: Just watched the English dub and I was really hoping that J. Michael Tatum would have been the one to do the voice of Shiro. Still, it was just as wonderful and when I first watched it one year ago!
Hannah_AnaFeb 19, 2013 4:12 PM
Sep 26, 2012 6:50 PM

Dec 2009
I see great ideas, but they are hindered from flourishing due to poor execution. The questions of fighting the aliens, his past and so on could've been much better. Instead, it went the "GET TOUCHED AND CRY NOW" route that utterly failed for me.

As for the art, it was new to me. It didn't feel very alive, though.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Oct 29, 2012 6:16 PM

Feb 2012
Despite it being so short, i got the story pretty easily. While the art style wasn't favorable in some parts, i loved how it was done. The colors, animation, movement...it all fit, even if others thought it looked weird. I personally really liked it.

9/10 because i heard this was pretty lacking in the cast department, so considering that this turned out really well. Not to mention i wasn't really expecting anything when i began watching the first few minutes. The last half really made a 180 for me. I will probably be buying the DVD for this.
Jan 25, 2013 2:18 PM

Mar 2009
I did liked the animation, but that wasn't the main reason, in such a short time it tells many things about the characters you fell in love with them faster & what's going on, filled with such emotions, that many other movies in two hours can't do. I think is a very very sweet and beautiful story. Curious characters and animation, is a nice message at the end.
Aug 25, 2013 12:20 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
This was beautiful ;_; although the plot was kind of ambiguous, like you don't know anything much about the aliens, just that they need to fight them and the only who can do it is Kakashi, it was still really good. The whole alien thing I guess would be symbolism for people who really are "alienated" (though yes uchuujin only means the noun alien and not like in English), or people who are different. I think that's what it's supposed to signify, the pain of someone who is alone (or thinks they are alone) and all the insecurities one feels in that kind of situation. The whole "what if I don't get any messages" was really sad, and I laughed how it was all just because he didn't pay any phone bill.

Anyways, I think this director is really good at capturing the feelings of her characters and executing it, especially through the unique animation style. I was able to connect with Kakashi and so it was a tearjerking experience. Then again, I expected that since I loved the Ningyo one and the Robotics one.
Sep 25, 2013 3:35 PM

Apr 2013
I watched this because the art looked pretty and I wasn't disappointed in that aspect.It was unique,colorful and it worked really well.
The voice acting and the soundtrack were good too.
But the plot is pretty silly if you ask me,and there's a lot of things that need answers (How did Arikawa know he's the one that can defeat aliens?along with others things already mentioned here).Some of the drama was a little forced but there was still a lot of cute moments too.
All in all it was okay,6/10.
SalxerSep 25, 2013 3:38 PM
Nov 22, 2013 4:12 PM

Jul 2012
Enjoyable. Really great animation and art. Very creative and good atmosphere. Plot was a bit on the weak side, but still enjoyable. 7/10
Apr 19, 2014 7:12 AM

Aug 2013
I actually expected it to be about fighting some hardcore strong aliens or something, but I understand what they were going for... and it really did touch me... I loved it, I watched the English dub and it was pretty good... this was... really, really sweet... the art threw me off a bit at some points.

9/10... I'll remember it for a while.
Sep 19, 2014 10:47 AM

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:
Enjoyable. Really great animation and art. Very creative and good atmosphere. Plot was a bit on the weak side, but still enjoyable. 7/10
Jan 13, 2016 10:11 AM

Mar 2014
TFW a one woman production looks better than your average Studio Pierrot anime
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 8, 2017 4:41 PM

Jan 2015
Interesting visuals is pretty much the only thing this OVA has going for it. Everything else is completely vapid. This reminded me of Hoshi no Koe, an other clusterfuck made by a single person, except the art was the opposite (aka extremely bad) but the theme, while handled terribly, was actually worthwhile.

Funnily enough, this work reminded me a bit of Scott Pilgrim. That Shiro guy reminded me of the roommate Wallace with his demeanor, speech and appearance. Oh, and the gay-ness, can't forget that. Anyway.
Except Scott Pilgrim was actually enjoyable since, while it made no sense either, it never took itself seriously. Somehow this show is completely oblivious to this issue and plunges head first into a wall.
Jan 20, 2018 2:45 PM

Oct 2015
My last ova of the four and I must say it wasn't better than those three since it had little romance.

But I am glad Kakashi is not alone in his quest of fighting aliens. I didn't understand the message behind his alien fighting, but I still enjoyed nonetheless. I wish though it was longer to get an in depth sight on the situation.

but 8/10 nonetheless ( a bit biased though), because I loved the art and was entertained a bit.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 17, 2018 2:47 AM

Jun 2011
when Kakashi said that the world is nice.. my kokoro, the feels..

I don't know which one I like better, alien or magician so far, probably alien because it doesn't have forced shounen ai.

Again, the issue with this is that it's too short, but it's amazing job well done if it's done by 1 person. The visual is once again, very nice.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 22, 2022 8:17 AM

Oct 2019
Very interesting style. I would've really enjoyed it if it actually had any plot or substance rather than just being "HEY LOOK AT THIS COOL UNIQUE ANIMATION". If anything actually happened, this anime would be very good. But instead it just covers up its poor story with unique, flashy visuals. The art isn't even that good, and the sound is a bit annoying, especially at the beginning, so the unique presentation is pretty much the only thing it has going for it.

Also am I the only one who finds the way they end every sentence in "-ssu" extremely irritating?
evilturkey5May 22, 2022 8:24 AM
Apr 7, 2023 10:43 PM

Mar 2012
i watched this one after watching the ningyo one and liked it better, i think?
the art style here seems more gritty, but i yhink the visuals go pretty well with the theme of this one. i also liked this story better and don't think this one has as many problems with pacing as the second one had.
it's short and sweet, with themes that pretty much everyone can relate too, loneliness, it hurts.
to me this was a pretty metaphor about fighting your demons and that's pretty much why he was the only one who could fight the aliens. his fears were his demons.
the song jn the end is pretty cue, and i loke the fact that it wasn't about romance. that would be a little bit too much to be believable.
i read this was made by just one person in six months and that's pretty impressive.

More topics from this board

» The deeper meaning

serina7 - May 15, 2022

0 by serina7 »»
May 15, 2022 9:38 AM

» This anime was done by a single person

DocJangarly - May 23, 2012

4 by marti_sk »»
Dec 26, 2020 12:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.