Forum Settings
Forums

Is anime distracting you from the pop culture in your own country?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 29, 2011 12:34 PM

Dec 2010
I have completely given up on Hollywood. Last US movie I watched was Avatar and it was one of the worst films I've ever seen. Every trailer I see on TV is even more generic and mind-numbing than the last. Will probably make an exception for Star Trek 2 though ;). British films are all about gangsters and/or people being miserable, and life can be miserable enough without having to watch it on screen. As for TV shows, I've not discovered anything worth watching from america in years now. I'm just watching the same stuff as usual (House, Supernatural, Castle, etc) and some british stuff (Doctor Who, Luther). And BBC news. TV seems to be in severe decline just as Hollywood was 10 years ago. And don't get me started on the music industry. Only things I have real interest in these days is video games (still plenty of potential there), Formula One, and anime. The only part of anime I'm beginning to lose interest in is Shonen, so things look good there. Rant ends.
Oct 29, 2011 12:47 PM

Feb 2009
My main hobby is cinema and my greatest passion. I have these anime phases that can go for months, but Ill eventually go back to movies. I've been watching up to the silent era.

I also like American TV Drama. Shows like Lost, Dexter and Breaking Bad are among my top rated entertainment.
Oct 30, 2011 9:52 AM

Jul 2009
I understand some of the refrences made in pop culture, but i prefer anime and animated movies (such as ice age) but other than that i try to stay away from pop culture stuff because most of it IS trash like Jersey Shore. (Seriously who ever thought of that show needs to be fired IMMEDIATLY)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2011 9:55 AM

Jun 2011
I never was of fan of that stuff, even before anime. I've hardly seen any popular movies/TV shows, and don't know most of the bands out there.

Only before anime, it was video games that were the distraction.
Oct 30, 2011 9:58 AM

Nov 2007
I can remember asking people what a movie is about an instead of getting a detailed synopsis, or even a basic on, all I get is a list of who's in the movie. And half the time I have no idea who these people are unless they're super popular like Will Smith or something. I just really don't care about actors.

Though oddly enough I can remember Asian actors and voice actors pretty well....
Oct 30, 2011 7:25 PM

Aug 2009
Nope. Anime comes in only when I'm not in the mood for any other form of entertainment.
Oct 31, 2011 5:39 PM

Jul 2010
Sort of. I've never held much interest in American TV shows ever since my middle school years, and that's over ~7 years ago. If I ever do watch any American TV shows, I watch it online. Most of the TV shows I watch now are either Korean, Japanese, or British.
Nov 1, 2011 12:32 AM

Jan 2011
Popular culture is distracting me from popular culture.
I can only hear so much about which stranger some other stranger is dating before I want to hang myself.
I don't know any of these "celebrities", so why would I ever care about their lives?

My reaction to everything that happens in pop culture:

VinterNov 1, 2011 12:35 AM
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Nov 1, 2011 6:35 AM

Mar 2010
Vinter said:
Popular culture is distracting me from popular culture.
I can only hear so much about which stranger some other stranger is dating before I want to hang myself.
I don't know any of these "celebrities", so why would I ever care about their lives?

My reaction to everything that happens in pop culture:

OMG LOL
Nov 1, 2011 10:06 AM

May 2009
Well, I don't have a TV in my dorm room, so it effectively stops me from watching shows. And I don't usually seek them out online unless they're on Netflix, so no, I don't think anime is stopping me lol. It's just my own indifference or laziness.
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/angelfire892&sclick=1">
Being sane is over rated :)
Nov 1, 2011 1:42 PM

Feb 2010
MomoDestro said:
First I have to say this is my opinion. The good cartoons also died out during that time as well.

well actually Avatar the Last Airbender is pretty good. and im hoping the new sequal Legend of Korra is good when it airs. but other than that yea wtf is all this other shit like flapjack.
Nov 1, 2011 1:44 PM

Oct 2009
It did for quite some time, yes. I spent a lot of time watching Anime compared to how much I watched regular tv, and even movies for that matter. Lately however I've been into a few things on tv, such as Misfits since it's returned. Hell yes.
Nov 1, 2011 3:20 PM
Sep 2011
I don't really watch tv anymore. I can deal without it! I only use the computer to watch anime and I think the shows on tv are pointless!!

Spirited Away is a masterpiece !!
Nov 1, 2011 3:30 PM

Apr 2008
Very much so, I tend to forget about western TV, bar 5 or 6 shows.

Nov 13, 2011 9:10 AM

Nov 2010
I never paid any attention to that stuff XD. Anime isn't affecting it for me.
Nov 13, 2011 2:15 PM

Nov 2011
I watch what I want to watch. I read what I want to read. I play what I want to play. Where or when it's from or how popular it is doesn't really bother me.
Nov 13, 2011 2:24 PM
Aug 2011
I try to avoid watching TV, because most of the time there is nothing to watch (especially in the afternoon, which is apparently reserved for spanish, turkish etc. soaps)...and I don't miss it (if I want to watch a movie, tv series or documentary, I can just download it from the internet). As for pop culture of my country, I really try to avoid it, 'cause frankly, more than half of it is crappy...and somehow I don't care if I'm left behind, at least when this matter is concerned.
Nov 13, 2011 5:54 PM

Apr 2011
icelandic pop culture ... hah! don't make me laugh ...
I stopped watching icelandic tv yeeears ago ... I hate sports ... I hate singing &amp; talent competitions and reality shows ...
I hate every piece of pop culture except the 80s,american sitcoms &amp; anime ^^
Nov 13, 2011 11:28 PM
Nov 2011
Yes, it is. But, it's more like voluntary distraction for me. I mean, I voluntarily don't watch TV nowadays because mostly crap comes on that, which is comparatively far worse than anime. The same goes with movies, though, I do check out some classics here and there.
Nov 14, 2011 1:02 AM

Jul 2011
I enjoy anime more than I do the standard tv line up, perhaps that has to do more with the fact I've watched tv for over 20 years, and anime on a regular basis for less than a year. That being said, I do enjoy going to the movies, although the quality of movies in general leaves something to be desired. The big screen though, surround sound, *shrugs* I have always been fond of the experience.

As far as tv goes, outside of espn, the history channel or discovery channel, there are very few things I care to see. I do watch Game of Thrones, The Big Bang Theory, House, and I absolutely love Dr. Who. Outside of that though, I just don't find much of anything on that interests me, as reality tv in general has never appealed to me and that dominates a lot of pop culture at the moment.

When I think about it though, the quality hasn't really changed, culture has changed naturally, but in the 80's my parents thought a lot of what I watched was garbage, now I find most of what is on garbage. It's merely history repeating itself....or I'm just getting old.

Nov 14, 2011 2:34 AM

Mar 2010
I do watch tele and movies now but I'm much more selective than I used to be. The majority of my viewing is Anime but I'm more than happy to settle down to a good film of tv show.
Nov 14, 2011 2:48 AM
May 2007
Living in Japan has done that to me all together lol. But when I was watching anime since 5th grade, little by little it did distract me from what was going on on American TV. Then all of a sudden shit like American Idol and Survivor hit the air waves and I stopped caring all together.
Nov 14, 2011 11:47 AM

Sep 2011
I wouldn't exactly say distracting, but yeah because of watching anime all the time, I hardly switch on the television. I do watch a lot of movies but only in theatres. Television seriously sucks and nothing good comes so we can watch anyway! It's been like more than 3 years I guess since I've watched some proper show on tv. It doesn't matter anyway!
Nov 14, 2011 3:08 PM

Apr 2008
I'm not trying to sound like a Special Snowflake or anything, but I see myself as almost a walking piece of pop culture repellant. My favorite celebrities are either old or dead, the majority of music I listen to is either from long before I was born or another country, and I don't catch up on a lot of popular programs on TV. I mainly use my TV to stream movies from Netflix, anyway, and whatever TV I do watch is either the news or whatever's on the cooking or free movie channels, and even then I watch more anime than TV.

Aside from that, I'm well aware of what's going on in my country's pop culture scene. I'm just not a part of it for some odd reason. I see it as both a blessing and a curse.
Nov 14, 2011 3:13 PM

Jan 2010
My own country? lolno.
Baman said:
Norway doesn't have any pop culture worth looking out for.

^ that

But pop culture in the US is distracting me from anime, so..
Nov 14, 2011 3:15 PM

Mar 2011
Yes. somewhat. :/
Nov 14, 2011 3:26 PM

Jan 2008
Nope. These days I prefer the College Football(GO BUCKEYES!), the NFL, and the NBA over anime.
Nov 14, 2011 3:49 PM

Aug 2011
I can't really say it distracted me from pop culture.
Back in grade school, it was the thing specifically the anime, Fushigi Yuugi.
My friends and I would even pretend that we are the characters.
Then in high school, I got addicted to Kaleido Star. Who can blame me? I mean it's really good. It got me distracted for a very considerable short time from my studies bt I got over it easily.
Fast-Debrid
download in 50 file hosting services like
Megaupload, Fileserve, MegaVideo, Hotfile, Rapidshare...
Nov 14, 2011 5:16 PM

Aug 2009
American pop culture = a steaming pile of mediocre dog crap. I don't need an excuse to distract me from it.
Nov 14, 2011 8:09 PM

Jul 2010
I wouldn't say it's distracting me, it's just that TV these days are getting ridiculously stupid! I'm just not into anything that's "mainstream"
There's never anything good on. I only watch Degrassi (even though that show is from Canada but I love that show)
So I'm just watching a bunch of old shows whenever I had time.
Nov 14, 2011 8:20 PM

Jul 2010
I have this some problem. I only watch T.V now for things like south park, when I used to watch TV a lot years ago.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2011 9:57 PM

Nov 2010
Pretty much, but it's like i paid any attention to the pop culture in my country to start with.
Nov 14, 2011 10:24 PM

Sep 2011
I could care less about my nations pop culture. In my opinion, it's bland, sexist, boring, and ignorant.. I'm not really into any of it. Thankfully. People should be more focused on actual news than pop culture. But I know that isn't going to happen any time in the near future.

I'd rather watch anime or read a book than vote for the next crappy American Idol.
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Nov 15, 2011 1:14 AM

Nov 2011
My country is boring as hell. All we have are corny TV dramas and dances.
Nov 15, 2011 4:17 AM
Sep 2011
There is nothing to be distracted from. There is most crap on TV anyway and music on the radio sucks so hard. I really don't care about all them American and Swedish TV-shows and music. Nothing is better then anime and j-pop anyway. ♥
Nov 15, 2011 4:49 AM

Jun 2010
Since I started watching anime, I forgot what TV is. XD no... really... like... I am watching anime and then I go out, whole day&gt; puf! Only thing that I watch on TV is The Vampire Diaries.
Tell the victims to kill eachother.
Nov 15, 2011 8:38 AM

Sep 2011
I don't even know what Swedish pop culture is... O.o
Nov 15, 2011 8:51 AM

Nov 2009
dakotasapphire said:
Yes, I have to admit, for the past year or so, I have not been watching regular television. I sometimes turn on the Television and look for a good show on demand and watch it, or a movie on tv. But I never watch reguluraly and I have not been able to understand refrences to a lot of things people talk about that have to do with pop culture( You know, American Idol, Jersey Shore, all that crap? and other things on Tv like football?). Do any of you guys have the same problem, or have you been keeping up to date with pop culture?

No, I don't keep up with ridiculous shows like American Idol or Jersey Shore. In fact I have never watched an episode of either. I don't watch sports and I really don't care for reality tv except for America's Got Talent (I got suckered into watching that by my room mate). I don't think that I don't keep up with Pop Culture because of Anime though. I just have never really been into shows like that. Actually, thoughout most of high school I didn't have a TV. Besides who needs TV when you got Netflix? lol
Nov 15, 2011 12:55 PM
Mar 2008
I haven't had cable TV since college. It's mostly because I'm not home enough to justify the cost of cable. Its such an unnecessary expense for me. I use Hulu if I want to watch "TV". My current shows are

American Horror Story
The Office
Parks &amp; Rec
Grimm (good so far)

...that's it. Most of what else I watch is anime. &lt;3 I also spend time playing video games, my freelance design business or art.

I really have no interest in Pop Culture though. Anything like E! or trash magazines...I can't stand. Who cares about celebrities??? I don't need any more useless information shoved into my head. @_o
Nov 15, 2011 1:03 PM

Nov 2009
mellow-osity said:
I haven't had cable TV since college. It's mostly because I'm not home enough to justify the cost of cable. Its such an unnecessary expense for me. I use Hulu if I want to watch "TV". My current shows are

American Horror Story
The Office
Parks &amp; Rec
Grimm (good so far)

...that's it. Most of what else I watch is anime. &lt;3 I also spend time playing video games, my freelance design business or art.

I really have no interest in Pop Culture though. Anything like E! or trash magazines...I can't stand. Who cares about celebrities??? I don't need any more useless information shoved into my head. @_o

I agree, I can't stand any celebrity shows like TMZ. I don't keep up with any celebrities, I couldn't even tell you who is the lead singer of my favorite band lol.
Nov 15, 2011 1:05 PM

Dec 2010
Animeski said:

Nanne Gronvall is my reproach.
Nov 15, 2011 1:18 PM

Jul 2011
I haven't watched TV for what a long time, there's nothing on that interests me anyway, and if there is I forget when it's on and I forget to record it :/
Nov 15, 2011 1:24 PM

Feb 2010
I can count the times I've watched TV in the last 4 years on one hand. That's not only because of anime though, and I watch TV series on the computer (only a select few though). But I definitely know what you mean, and I'm glad about it, because I really don't care about knowing any of it in the first place. Although it can make me unable to participate in certain (pointlessly irrelevant) conversations, it's a price I'm willing to pay.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 15, 2011 1:35 PM

Aug 2011
What pop culture? That bullcrap that goes on TV every day? Like "Morangos com Açucar" (literally Strawberries with Sugar)? Not worth my time. I'd rather watch stuff I like.
Nov 15, 2011 2:00 PM

Sep 2011
So.. In conclusion, a majority of people on MAL would rather watch anime than bother to keep up with their pop culture.

Who could blame them?
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Nov 15, 2011 2:55 PM

Apr 2009
I watch the news and the occasional program with my family, I'm watching the morning show as I type :P

But other than that I watch anime at night (usually 9.30) and during the day I play video games, walk my dog or go to work.

There is nothing wrong with watching tv , but I find anime and games more entertaining.

But one thing I have NO idea about in pop culture is popular music. I hate it, absolutely hate it. But I do love me some hipster Japanese stuff that no one has heard of !
Nov 15, 2011 3:19 PM

Nov 2011
Anime is all i watch and manga is all i read during my free time. The only thing i watch on my TV is the news and english dub anime that happens to come on.
Nov 15, 2011 3:20 PM
Oct 2010
Animeski said:

A contradiction in terms.
Nov 15, 2011 3:28 PM

Jul 2011
Animeski said:

Sweden eh? i come from a fucking island in the middle of nowhere...
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Nov 15, 2011 4:28 PM

Sep 2009
No, I'm still aware of pop culture here. And it's mostly shit so I'm not missing much.
not a job creator

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.