Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 15, 2011 9:53 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Continuation from last ep.

Nyanko-sensei's youki's too strong that other youkais awakened.

A human woman using youkai's power worked under Suwabe-san's character.

Natsume helping Akira-san's character sealing. Suwabe-san's character is interested in Natsume and Nyanko-sensei and abandoning the woman.

So they invested about who Natsume was... they might know about yuujinchou?

Yay~, Kogitsune is returning next ep!!
tsubasaloverAug 15, 2011 9:58 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 15, 2011 11:09 AM

May 2010
I loved this episode! ^_^
And I can't wait for next week! The little fox boy is coming back~ x3
Aug 15, 2011 11:37 AM

Apr 2008
I liked this episode. Hopefully, Matoba will appear in the last episode.

they might know about yuujinchou?

Nope, they don't know about the book of friends.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Aug 15, 2011 11:56 AM

Nov 2008
Considering all the fuss about this episode coming from people during last week's discussion I was expecting something more from this.

I though that Natsume would get some new powers or get help from some of the powerful youkai he has helped in the past. But it was still a good epsiode, first time I've seen sensei injured and looking like that when he wanted to eat Motoba.
Aug 15, 2011 12:12 PM

Feb 2008
hmmm i think the manga was better.....his escape was even more awesome. the animation just did it a more annoying way i think. or maybe i am confusing it with a different chapter.
Aug 15, 2011 12:28 PM

Jul 2010
I guess Sensei has a kinda crazy, dark side. I like how Natsume's able to calm him down when that happens. Good episode, I'm really enjoying my Mondays now haha :) but I feel bad for that woman. I didn't really like how Natori treated her, I mean, she was so close to that youkai. But I love Nyanko-sensei and Natori, they're HILARIOUS :D. Whenever Nyanko-sensei goes into youkai form, I can't help but think of Kakashi :3
Aug 15, 2011 1:22 PM

Nov 2009
Well Natsume did grow some balls back from this ep but still is way to fragile.
Aug 15, 2011 1:46 PM

Sep 2008
I guess his libido was not large enough to protect Natsume.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2011 2:02 PM
Oct 2009
So they did it like that crow was her shiki? I see... I wondered why they'd killed him 2nd season though they didn't have to, but it proved useful. = /
Seems like we will have another filler next week? Again. Pisses me off.

But sensei was great >_> Will we see him like that one more time?..
MoireAug 15, 2011 2:17 PM
Aug 15, 2011 2:03 PM

Mar 2010
I wanna see that whole matoba clan destroyed so bad.
Aug 15, 2011 2:08 PM

Jul 2011
Only for this season, I HATE YOU SO MUCH BRAINS BASE.
That is all.

Inn said:

THIS. SO MUCH.
Wouldn't the next ep should be the culture festival in his school n Natsume being lovey dovey with the injured sensei? And there's Hinoe, cobihige n chuukyuu. I'd prefer them much more than that shota youkai. Plus, I never did like that Kogitsune brat, it'd be better if he was a girl.
sakaAug 16, 2011 7:41 PM
Aug 15, 2011 2:24 PM
Apr 2011
Inn said:

All Natsume is good Natsume.
I appreciate it.
Aug 15, 2011 2:27 PM
Oct 2009
Fujosee said:
Only for this season, I HATE YOU SO MUCH BRAINS BASE.
That is all.

I think I do understand you.

Fujosee said:

Wouldn't the next ep should be the culture festival in his school n Natsume being lovey dovey with the injured sensei?

Yes! It should be! And if sensei will be all happy and healthy next ep, I won't forgive them. Ever.

Onii said:

I appreciate it.

This season fillers've gotten better, but I still don't like them much. And I don't think now is the time. More importantly, I believe 3rd season is the last one and it would be great if they could cover more manga.
MoireAug 19, 2011 6:02 AM
Aug 15, 2011 2:51 PM

Jul 2009
Inn said:
Fujosee said:

Wouldn't the next ep should be the culture festival in his school n Natsume being lovey dovey with the injured sensei?

Yes! It should be! And if sensei will be all happy and healthy next ep, I won't forgive them. Ever.

Haha, lolz definitely! :)
Aug 15, 2011 4:50 PM

Jun 2011
Natsume was so awesomesauce when he jumped out the window and escaped.
And yay for the fox kid coming back next ep!
Aug 15, 2011 4:51 PM

Dec 2010
Well that was rather anticlimactic. I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't keep up the development from season two and instead went back to the episodic way.
Aug 15, 2011 5:22 PM

May 2010
"I'll stop you!" Yeah, Natsume, you sound SOOO intimidating.
Aug 15, 2011 5:33 PM

Oct 2010
OMG I so T_T @ the following,

Nyanko sensei!!!!!!! Poor poor thing. That Matoba bastard shit head! D:

Other than that, I really ROFL at Natori fighting with Nyanko as follows,

notice Nyanko's face? ROFL!

Few things I noticed,
  • The stick of that witch had some symbols in the spoiler
    and I really wonder of their meaning or signification. Could it be her staff?

• Nyanko sensei was kick ass with his transformed shape in the spoiler
    but unfortunately that piece of shit Matoba not only scrapped Natsume on the side but worse of all got Nyanko sensei badly. What a fucker TBH.
    Since it was obvious he used Nyanko as bait.

• Was it me or the blood looked like sperm in the spoiler
    I swear the shape is like that.

• That monster’s appearance was scary in the spoiler
    and notice how he hits the girl here, well technically her bones should be broken somewhere. It’s a huge impact with his weigh.

• Was surprising was that Matoba guy getting that monster in the spoiler
    euh? One shot arrow and the monster is vaporized. Sounds like a quick over 9000 to me.

• The ending was perfect with Hiiragi/Natori/Natsume and Nyanko recovering in the spoiler
    particularly the last pic of Natsume thinking that he is different is something I realized since the beginning of this series why? Oh silly all, he is the only one who has a Friend’s Book with names in it so it makes him unique and always to be different. Guess Matoba guy is aware of Natsume’s grandmother.
About preview, well certainly this guy looks interesting and of course long time no see this girl since last season. Most of all it’s the person in the spoiler
that kid is so MOE! It will be a nice episode where you can screw the world and indulge yourself in the Natsume calm world. Well I hope it will be a calm episode. Best episode so far. Best of best!
Yumekichi11Aug 15, 2011 6:07 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Aug 15, 2011 5:35 PM

Nov 2010
I've always found the two-episode arcs to be rather weak compared to the single episode arcs, but this one was one was at least better. I only vaguely remember that black-winged youkai from the flashback, so more of an explanation of what happened before would have been good.
Aug 15, 2011 5:39 PM

May 2009
Onii said:
Inn said:

I appreciate it.
This. I don't even notice what is filler and what isn't because all episodes are great, including this one. With Matoba being involved it felt like this episode had more main plot and was more serious than usual.
Aug 15, 2011 8:01 PM

Mar 2008
I love Natori. After all the trauma Natsume has been through in his life, now that he has found a family that loves him, he needs a good role model.

I got a bit excited when I heard the beginning of the preview that the fox has grown, but five seconds later we're back to token shota.
Aug 15, 2011 8:04 PM

May 2009
At least Natsume is getting a little better at defending himself.
That Matoba clan gets under your skin - easily.
Aug 15, 2011 8:13 PM

Apr 2009
Well, in the manga, I think there were only like, 2 or 3 chapters dealing with Matoba and that forest youkai, then immediately following that was the cultural festival chap. So as much as I enjoyed the Matoba arc, I'm glad we're back to the episodic NY that we all know and (most of us) love.
Plus, there's a high chance that Matoba will appear again in some later chapter/episode. ;) *cross fingers*

Notes on this ep :
I don't have a lot to say about this ep. It was probably the most action-packed in the season (or in the 3 seasons). We got to see that side of Natsume that we rarely see. That was great.
lol. Natori vs. Nyanko-sensei was hilarious.
Also, it's pretty funny the way Natsume would punch youkai then say 'sorry' after. That is so typical of him.

Not so excited for next episode. I prefer that cultural festival story. Much, much more exciting than the fox kid. [Also, isn't that where Natsume dresses up in a costume?]

Aug 15, 2011 8:38 PM

Mar 2009
Damn, I hope Nyanko-sensei gets angry more often.

Also, loving Matoba. This show needs more examples of the different ways youkai are used.
Aug 15, 2011 11:11 PM

Jul 2011
Inn said:

I think I do understand you.

Thank you :)

Inn said:

Definitely! =_=
Sensei...;__;

Inn said:

This season fillers've gotten better, but I still don't like them much. And I don't think now is the time. More importantly, I believe 3rd season is the last one and it would be great if they could cover more manga.

Don't say it's the last one....;A;
I demand season 4 >.>
FujoseeAug 15, 2011 11:31 PM
Aug 15, 2011 11:21 PM

Jul 2011
shiine-chan said:

Plus, there's a high chance that Matoba will appear again in some later chapter/episode. ;) *cross fingers*

I hope so! I want more of him! Matoba's intentions definitely not pure, but my villain-loving heart screams that he's a great, great character that I should love. He's probably one of most awesome villains you've ever seen., lolol

shiine-chan said:
Not so excited for next episode. I prefer that cultural festival story. Much, much more exciting than the fox kid. [Also, isn't that where Natsume dresses up in a costume?]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't that excited with the next ep. :)
Natsume in a frilly apron, and his hair...adfghsdfhdhhkl, I wanna see that animated!
Aug 16, 2011 12:00 AM

Nov 2007
Natsume should just seek help from Misuzu and pawn the whole Matoba clan. Those bastards. Treating lives as tools. /raged

A very good episode. And 9001/10 for Sensei going scary mode. I was hoping for something grand, but it seems he takes Natsume more seriously than biting the head off from stupid Matoba.

Fox kid returns. Doesn't matter whether it would be a filler or not, anything goes for Natsume. Yet to see an episode that I didn't like!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Aug 16, 2011 1:28 AM
Oct 2009
Fujosee said:
shiine-chan said:

I hope so! I want more of him! Matoba's intentions definitely not pure, but my villain-loving heart screams that he's a great, great character that I should love. He's probably one of most awesome villains you've ever seen., lolol

I also hope Matoba's "We shall meet again" wasn't just talking.) With him show really gets more intriguing. And, thinking about it, there are only three or four stories including festival before Matoba's next appearance in the manga. Well, it might not be like this in the anime as BRAINS BASE showed us already, but let's believe = )
Fujosee said:

Natsume in a frilly apron, and his hair...adfghsdfhdhhkl, I wanna see that animated!

I don't mind seeing Taki's crossdressing too :)
shiine-chan said:

Also, it's pretty funny the way Natsume would punch youkai then say 'sorry' after. That is so typical of him.

He never changes as Natori said) And I want to see something like Natsume and youkai working together to break another Matoba's nasty plan or two. ^^
Aug 16, 2011 2:23 AM

Oct 2010
i agree, they should stick a little more to the manga............
there are hardly any manga with 4 seasons (only the REALLY popular ones) and i doubt Natsume will get another one (even if it should)
plus, they really should stop picking random chapters from the manga. grrrr!!!!
can't they follow the chronological order of the chapters?!
Aug 16, 2011 2:35 AM

May 2009
Watching Natsume return clutching Sensei like that tugged at my heartstrings. Hard. Seriously, though, how do some people manage to casually hurt others just to get what they want?

Hiiragi waiting for Natori was another highlight. She's so amazing. And with this, I guess there's no more reason to question Natori's motives?

Oh Matoba. I hate the man. I absolutely love the character - or more like, his existence in the series. And I hate myself a bit for liking him so much. I hope he returns once more this season.
Aug 16, 2011 2:59 AM

Apr 2009
Inn said:
I also hope Matoba's "We shall meet again" wasn't just talking.) With him show really gets more intriguing. And, thinking about it, there are only three or four stories including festival before Matoba's next appearance in the manga. Well, it might not be like this in the anime as BRAINS BASE showed us already, but let's believe = )

:( Well, we're already halfway through the 3rd season of the anime. I hope they set aside another 2 episodes at the end for Matoba's next appearance. That was such an awesome chapter in the manga.
Fujosee said:

~Kyaaa. Me too! I knew I saved a pic of it somewhere on my hard drive. *searches for it*
Ah here it is.
shiine-chanAug 16, 2011 8:57 AM

Aug 16, 2011 6:30 AM

May 2008
Just 24 more minutes of disappointment... baw :|
I didn't enjoy the season 3 episodes before this one, but this was just anticlimactic... and actually, just kind of boring :C

I'm not looking forward to next week either, annoying filler is annoying. This wasn't even in the manga was it? Or did I just forget...

I feel so alone in my complaining about season 3... =n=;
Aug 16, 2011 7:59 AM
Oct 2009
Wistaire said:

I'm not looking forward to next week either, annoying filler is annoying. This wasn't even in the manga was it? Or did I just forget...

As much as I remember it was not, and I'm supposed to have a good memory.)
About this season... I don't like changes in Natsume's look (and other characters too; this is not Durarara) and I don't like how they treat manga. Couldn't they simply (haha; not so simply may be) make it 26 eps and show what manga has to tell now? Following the right order, of course. Natsume Yuujinchou isn't just episodic heartwarming manga anymore, is it?.. What about showing Natsume's feelings more?
But it is still better than other shows for me, so I'm grateful.
Aug 16, 2011 8:32 AM

Sep 2009
Am I the only one who got Saber vibes from Hiiragi this episode?
Aug 16, 2011 10:15 AM

May 2010
That's the first time I saw sensei got really angry and I thought he is gonna go rampage !!
Aug 16, 2011 11:13 AM

Oct 2010
shiine-chan said:
Fujosee said:

~Kyaaa. Me too! I knew I saved a pic of it somewhere on my hard drive. *searches for it*
Ah here it is.
Well since there is a fandom here, then I shall say that should this be animated. I shall make 1 or 2 avatars of Natsume like that or 1 t o2 GIFs for fans like you. Probably to put in my Hall of Fame for males.

Will this part really be animated?

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Aug 16, 2011 12:21 PM

Apr 2010
Nice and interesting episode.
I wonder what the Matoba clan has planned for Natsume seems like there are really interested in him and his grandmother.
Aug 16, 2011 4:07 PM

Feb 2009
Jeez Natsume is getting way too popular around these parts, now he get Motaba after him now. Poor woman, I think Motaba used it as bait just because she was too attached to his youkai.

I am surprised the Matoba's clan is not aware of the the book of friends existence as many youkai knows about it, I think that greedy Matoba would get wind of something like that sooner than later.
MaxCrazy7Aug 16, 2011 4:12 PM
Aug 16, 2011 8:29 PM
Jul 2018
Gonna listen to this op on repeat when it is released <3
Aug 17, 2011 4:11 AM

May 2009
MaxCrazy7 said:
I am surprised the Matoba's clan is not aware of the the book of friends existence as many youkai knows about it, I think that greedy Matoba would get wind of something like that sooner than later.

I doubt he doesn't know about it. He only learned Natsume's name while he was leaving with Nanase. And after hearing he's Reiko's grandson, Natsume's 'interesting' factor increased in Matoba's eyes.

Then again, if Matoba knows, Natori - who comes from a more prestigious exorcist clan - should also have heard of Natsume and the Book of Friends. He never mentions it, though. Ooh, one of the reasons I still question Natori's motives, even if for the most part I think he's a friend rather than foe. Not to mention, he's so fabulous.
Aug 17, 2011 6:57 AM
Oct 2009
Athena said:

I doubt he doesn't know about it.

He doesn't. Really. Youkai aren't crazy to talk about the Book with humans, they have instinct for self-preservation too. Though I think Matoba or/and Natori will find out for sure. What will happen then? I'm dying to know ^^
MoireAug 17, 2011 7:03 AM
Aug 17, 2011 7:37 AM

May 2009
Inn said:
Athena said:
I doubt he doesn't know about it.

He doesn't. Really. Youkai aren't crazy to talk about the Book with humans, they have instinct for self-preservation too. Though I think Matoba or/and Natori will find out for sure. What will happen then? I'm dying to know ^^

Manga information? It's a major relief if he doesn't. I really should read the translations instead of waiting for scanlations.

And I do agree with your reasoning, but why does he know about Reiko then? Unless he knows her from a non-youkai source... But he clearly know she's famous among youkai - and knowing how the Matoba clan does things, he'd probably be glad to weed out information from the youkai about this famous, not-from-an-exorcist-family human.
Aug 17, 2011 8:30 AM
Oct 2009
Athena said:

And I do agree with your reasoning, but why does he know about Reiko then? Unless he knows her from a non-youkai source... But he clearly know she's famous among youkai - and knowing how the Matoba clan does things, he'd probably be glad to weed out information from the youkai about this famous, not-from-an-exorcist-family human.

If you read scanlations you should know Matoba has suspicions, but that's all for now - from ch.44 to 54 there wasn't anything concrete about it.
And there is nothing clear about Reiko. I think youkai could talk about strangely powerful human, but they did it without mentioning Yuujinchou. She had troubles communicating with humans but still she had a daughter and both women kept surname Natsume (and if you read translations you'll know something about Takashi's parents). Reiko is full of mysteries and I doubt we will find out anything significant anytime soon :(
P.S. In the 2nd season Nanase-san said she heard from youkai about beautiful and strong Reiko. But that's all, I think.
Aug 17, 2011 8:53 AM

May 2009
Inn said:
If you read scanlations you should know Matoba has suspicions, but that's all for now - from ch.44 to 54 there wasn't anything concrete about it.
And there is nothing clear about Reiko. I think youkai could talk about strangely powerful human, but they did it without mentioning Yuujinchou. She had troubles communicating with humans but still she had a daughter and both women kept surname Natsume (and if you read translations you'll know something about Takashi's parents). Reiko is full of mysteries and I doubt we will find out anything significant anytime soon :(
P.S. In the 2nd season Nanase-san said she heard from youkai about beautiful and strong Reiko. But that's all, I think.

That's what bothers me, though. The Matoba clan isn't the 'live and let live' type - for some reason I have a mental image of Matoba torturing a youkai into spilling the beans about Reiko. I mean, they love owning powerful things, but yeah, I suppose knowing she's dead and useless would make them lose interest. But I don't know.

Right, that was the nudge I needed to read the translations. Thanks! ^^
Aug 17, 2011 11:38 AM
Oct 2009
Athena said:

That's what bothers me, though. The Matoba clan isn't the 'live and let live' type - for some reason I have a mental image of Matoba torturing a youkai into spilling the beans about Reiko. I mean, they love owning powerful things, but yeah, I suppose knowing she's dead and useless would make them lose interest. But I don't know.

But if they knew about the Book back then they had many years to lay their hands on it. It doesn't seem like the Matoba clan was softer decades ago... who knows though.
And Reiko somehow knew how to create the Book or chase away that ayakashi from Fujiwara's house. Where did she learn all that, being not-from-an-exorcist-family human? Another mystery.
Aug 18, 2011 8:24 AM

Apr 2008
Athena said:

Right, that was the nudge I needed to read the translations. Thanks! ^^

I seems reasonable to assume that they can't have asked youkai about the book of friends, because they didn't know it exists to begin with.

And I doubt they are this sort of people who are eager to engage themselves in conversation with youkai.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Aug 18, 2011 10:53 AM

May 2009
Inn said:
But if they knew about the Book back then they had many years to lay their hands on it. It doesn't seem like the Matoba clan was softer decades ago... who knows though.
Lain666 said:
I seems reasonable to assume that they can't have asked youkai about the book of friends, because they didn't know it exists to begin with. And I doubt they are this sort of people who are eager to engage themselves in conversation with youkai.

I'm assuming Matoba found out about the book while trying to figure out who Reiko is. And I never suggested conversation - I said torture.
And as for not finding the book all those years ago... Well, they lost the Natsume trail after Reiko died or moved out of town or something.

Obviously I could be wrong, but Matoba's fascination with the Natsume name seems a bit excessive if all they know about Reiko is that she's strong and beautiful.

And as Inn pointed out, Reiko seems too skilled in exorcism if we were to assume she didn't come from one. So maybe she did? But then why would Natsume's relatives be so creeped out by him seeing invisible things if Reiko did come from a family exorcist well enough to be known by other clans? Maybe she was a prodigy?

I'm sure there are more ways for Matoba to know about Reiko besides hearsay from youkai and her being an amazing exorcist, but right now those seem most likely to me.

Straying too far from the episode? Sorry.
Aug 18, 2011 4:59 PM

Jun 2009
Great episode~

… Although, I’d say I was expecting quite a bit more. I did like Natsume’s escape; he’s everything but threatening [“… I’ll stop you!” oh yes, Natsume. Everyone will run away in fear, youkai included, lol.] but he managed to stand on his own and look for the powerful ayakashi without help, at least. Well, I guess it is fine as long as Matoba appears once again.

Ah, Nyanko-sensei and Natori’s bickering will never grow old for me.

Oh, Kogitsune next week~! That little boy melts my senses and heart ♥
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Aug 19, 2011 12:21 AM

Jul 2011
Shinee-chan said:

Ah here it is.

With that hairstyle, he kinda reminds me of Saki (Fake king/Fake Luca) from Hiiro No Isu (another manga by Midorikawa-sensei)..Only Saki is more cold and badass. He's like...a badass version of Natsume. :))
I'm getting off topic. I'll shut up now

Aug 19, 2011 8:02 PM

Dec 2010
I the first thing i thought about the blood was sperm. o-o
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Jul 25, 2011

200 by AndoRa27 »»
May 2, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 4, 2011

152 by APolygons2 »»
Apr 23, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 22, 2011

81 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 5, 4:03 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 19, 2011

114 by Pockycrusader »»
Sep 27, 2023 5:47 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2011

81 by dio9_by »»
Sep 24, 2023 2:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.