Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Oct 26, 2012 8:05 AM

Apr 2009
dankickyou said:
Real life tv shows? Doesn't that mean reality shows? If yes, then anime is defenitely better.

Thread maker should've been a little more clear -_-. "Real life TV show" is not something you use to label Game of Thrones or Firefly.

Anyway, they're both equal IMO.
Oct 26, 2012 8:16 AM

Apr 2009
I will admit to a short-coming of live-action TV shows though: episodic.

This is usually the viewers fault, not the makers. It's a lot easier to get viewers if there is no central story (House, The Mentalist, CSI), so they can become a fan at anytime if they like it. Some episodic shows can be good though, such as Person of Interest & Arrow. But most of them have very little character development.

I am a HUGE fan of mystery. It disappoints me greatly that most of them are shit like CSI & Law & Order. They care more about using fancy equipment and really cheesy lines to solve a cases, rather than build good characters like Monster or Dexter does.
Oct 26, 2012 9:22 AM

Sep 2010

This is usually the viewers fault, not the makers. It's a lot easier to get viewers if there is no central story (House, The Mentalist, CSI), so they can become a fan at anytime if they like it. Some episodic shows can be good though, such as Person of Interest & Arrow. But most of them have very little character development.

Every episodic show can be could.
Character development only matters when a character needs to change. In a lot of live action shows the characters are already fully developed and all that's left to do is showcase the characters' habits, attitude, personality, etc.

I am a HUGE fan of mystery. It disappoints me greatly that most of them are shit like CSI & Law & Order. They care more about using fancy equipment and really cheesy lines to solve a cases, rather than build good characters like Monster or Dexter does.

Where is the mystery in Law & Order and CSI? If you are a huge fan of mystery then you should be able to locate the error in your confirmation bias against those two shows.

Oct 26, 2012 9:24 AM
Oct 2012
JavierR said:
I haven't touched my tv in months, but when I do it's going to be when the NBA season starts up again. Even then, bulls games don't come on in new york. So I'm still going to be on my laptop all day.
YEA THATS MY BOY DROSE BABY...when he comes back :)
Oct 26, 2012 9:29 AM

Apr 2009
Anime_Name said:

Where is the mystery in Law & Order and CSI? If you are a huge fan of mystery then you should be able to locate the error in your confirmation bias against those two shows.

Are you trying to say they're not mystery shows? It's just that week after week it's just case o]f the week with a bland villain and characters who act like complete robots. It gets boring after the first 1000 times.
Oct 26, 2012 9:54 AM

Sep 2010
MagnumBookworm said:
Anime_Name said:

Are you trying to say they're not mystery shows? It's just that week after week it's just case o]f the week with a bland villain and characters who act like complete robots. It gets boring after the first 1000 times.

They are both crime shows, which is a very close cousin to the mystery genre but should not be confused for one another.

It's funny to say something gets boring after the 1000th time when we are talking about TV shows that thrive on people watching week after week. You'd think that if your observation of them getting boring were anywhere near true that those shows and their spinoffs would not have lasted as long as they did.

Oct 26, 2012 10:01 AM

Apr 2009
Anime_Name said:

They are both crime shows, which is a very close cousin to the mystery genre but should not be confused for one another.

No, they're are police procedurals, which are sub-genres of the mystery genre.

http://www.cuebon.com/ewriters/Msubgenres.html

It's funny to say something gets boring after the 1000th time when we are talking about TV shows that thrive on people watching week after week. You'd think that if your observation of them getting boring were anywhere near true that those shows and their spinoffs would not have lasted as long as they did.

You're one of my favorite members here, and you resort to using popularity to defend shitty shows? Very disappointed :(.

We might as well say that Twilight is better than Goodfellas, since it is much more popular.
Oct 26, 2012 10:16 AM

Sep 2010
No, they're are police procedurals, which are sub-genres of the mystery genre.

Which means there are enough differences for an new genre classification. Again, what you expect out of straight mystery shows is not the same as what will be found in TV shows that are about criminal investigation.

You're one of my favorite members here, and you resort to using popularity to defend shitty shows? Very disappointed :(.

I am arguing that if something is successful then that something must be doing whatever it does right. If a show gets boring, it gets canceled. Plain and simple. Having the opinion that a show bores you is one thing and declaring that a show is now boring is another.

We might as well say that Twilight is better than Goodfellas, since it is much more popular.

You might but I'd then accuse you of making a straw man.

Oct 26, 2012 10:17 AM
Jul 2012
whitesox123 said:
JavierR said:
I haven't touched my tv in months, but when I do it's going to be when the NBA season starts up again. Even then, bulls games don't come on in new york. So I'm still going to be on my laptop all day.

Drose we still can keep up without him! but we need him for the playoffs thats for sure
Oct 26, 2012 10:19 AM

Apr 2009
Anime_Name said:

I am arguing that if something is successful then that something must be doing whatever it does right. If a show gets boring, it gets canceled. Plain and simple. Having the opinion that a show bores you is one thing and declaring that a show is now boring is another.

Then Firefly, by your definition, is boring?
Oct 26, 2012 10:26 AM

Sep 2010
MagnumBookworm said:
Anime_Name said:

Then Firefly, by your definition, is boring?

If only boring shows get canceled, yes.

Oct 26, 2012 3:52 PM
Oct 2012
JavierR said:
whitesox123 said:
JavierR said:

Drose we still can keep up without him! but we need him for the playoffs thats for sure
i know we can but im still a bit unsure since we got of korver,brewer, and ASIK for watever fukin reason but drose should come back half way through the season to get us ready for the playoffs. but im not trying to be pessimistic here but miami might fuk us again so idk
Oct 26, 2012 4:07 PM

Sep 2008
Ah look it's another thread full of narrow-minded weaboos how unexpected...
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 26, 2012 4:11 PM

Jan 2012
None.
Real TV doesnt satisfy me any more >.< xD

Oct 26, 2012 4:36 PM

Aug 2012
I like both real TV shows and anime. It's the excellent storylines I'm after. I can highly recommend 'city hunter' Korean live drama show. It is amazing.... a real masterpiece. This show would keep you at the edge of your seat.
A house is made from bricks and stones but a home is made from love alone!
Oct 26, 2012 5:17 PM

May 2009
LOST was some competition in its running days
Oct 27, 2012 1:15 AM

Oct 2012
damn. if any were close to awesomeness to anime chars . that would be MacGyver lol. haha. well prison break is a very good show however, start to get boring from season 3..
Oct 27, 2012 7:49 AM

Jul 2012
winnie39 said:
I like both real TV shows and anime. It's the excellent storylines I'm after. I can highly recommend 'city hunter' Korean live drama show. It is amazing.... a real masterpiece. This show would keep you at the edge of your seat.

I agree, I like shows where they dont just rush in, and you dont know the characters all ready, and they actually tell you a background story or something thats why I like

1. Macgyver
2. Heroes
3. Invasion
4. Star trek
5. Legend of the Seeker-This one was great

I plan on watching surface/Revolution
Oct 28, 2012 9:09 AM

Jun 2008
Just started Dexter (yes I know the first season was aired like 5-6 years ago).

Enjoying the hell out of it. Anti-heroes at his finest. I can't believe the show has so many seasons now for an anti-hero drama. Can't wait where it will lead. Love the character-focus instead of episodic nature. Each episode builds on the character more than isolated cases.

Also started Arrow, but it look like it's heading to fail. The action is pretty well executed for a TV show though. I was surprised at that. But the premise is not believable at all. I'm fine with a guy in modern age shooting arrows as a vigilante but the guy is killing goonies but leaving the boss alive? Comic logic is astounding sometimes.
TachiiOct 28, 2012 9:13 AM
Jan 2, 2013 4:22 PM

Jul 2012
I like other things besides anime

MiraniaJan 2, 2013 4:28 PM
Jan 2, 2013 4:29 PM
Jun 2011
Not a fan of American LA shows. TV budget for live-action is laughably bad. Just compare any sci-fi or fantasy anime to Firefly or Game of Thrones. Animation is such a better medium for those things since you can utilize the setting more. Half the time I wonder why Game of Thrones is fantasy for how little they even utilize the setting; compared to say Berserk or Fairy Tail with their fantastic adventures and such. I'd rather watch a kiddy cartoon about Superman than Heroes.. at least the cartoon can have him use his powers where Heroes seemed to always shy away from them using them too much due to lack of budget.
Jan 2, 2013 4:31 PM

Apr 2011
A little off topic but I just dislike how everyone associates anime with hentai and thinks you're a pervert for watching anime.... But in reality, TV shows have sex scenes and generally have just as much, if not more, sexual references in them.

Sorry for a little off topic :O.

And I only like anime more because we can't have really action-ey and exploding scenes like in mech anime. It's also not as easy to recreate entire war scenes between countries or armies in TV shows as it is to draw them in anime...
Jan 2, 2013 4:33 PM

Jul 2012
Akidomaru said:
sci-fi or fantasy anime to Firefly

try legend of the seeker, the core(movie) might like them.
Jan 2, 2013 4:41 PM

Sep 2012
Anime vs Real life TV shows.

LOL, The Wire solos.
Jan 2, 2013 4:42 PM

Sep 2012
i stopped watching tv quite a while back since (here in australia atleast) its absolute utter shit, absolute add filled, rerun heavy shit. internet is superior for anything i wanna watch because i can find what i want on youtube or download it and skip all that shit, only thing worth watching on tv were documentaries, and i have youtube for that.
so i wont judge anime series compared to tv series (although from what little i did watch, tv series didnt really compare for me)

but ill diverge on the original topic a bit, when it comes to anime movies vs live action movies, lately i havent been able to take many live action movie seriously, hunger games was the worst thing i have ever seen, ever, TDKR was simply eh, looper was decent, and i enjoyed dredd 3d, but when i compare it to anime movies, anime always comes out on top. Hollywood appears to have a creative bankruptcy. anime movies can do things live action movies never could. and it shows, judging by all these live action adaptations/ripoffs/planned ripoffs coming out.
Jan 2, 2013 5:09 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
With the best anime? None. There are good ones like CSI, LOST, House MD, Breaking Bad, New Girl, ect, that can at least compete with the average-to-good anime.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jan 2, 2013 5:09 PM

Jan 2012
Skins,The Inbetweeners,Misfits,Supernatural,House,Friends,How I met your mother,Lie to me,Californication,etc
Jan 2, 2013 5:13 PM

May 2012
Tachii said:

Enjoying the hell out of it. Anti-heroes at his finest. I can't believe the show has so many seasons now for an anti-hero drama. Can't wait where it will lead. Love the character-focus instead of episodic nature. Each episode builds on the character more than isolated cases.

Also started Arrow, but it look like it's heading to fail. The action is pretty well executed for a TV show though. I was surprised at that. But the premise is not believable at all. I'm fine with a guy in modern age shooting arrows as a vigilante but the guy is killing goonies but leaving the boss alive? Comic logic is astounding sometimes.
I remember when the show came out but I think the quality has dropped so much... the cat-mouse game between dexter and hughes or whoever the black dude was was pretty good stuff.
Jan 2, 2013 5:18 PM

Jan 2011
Akidomaru said:
The fact a terrible sitcom like Friends is #1 pretty much invalidates that list.

Friends is the best don't know what you're talking about.
Jan 2, 2013 5:23 PM
Oct 2012
meh dont really care for any tv shows. only thing i watch is sports(and anime of course)
wot123Jan 2, 2013 6:15 PM
Jan 2, 2013 6:06 PM

Aug 2012
Tachii said:

I never watched Dexter (well, i actually did a few random episodes and it is good stuff). So i was wondering, is there any anime like that? Indeed the 'hero' concept in dexter is awesome. Would like an anime like that.

I do like Friends, it is the show that makes me lol the most (then i found out about Gintama, but that's another story :D). Also Dr.House; that god-like feeling that comes from House himself as a character, must love it. Still, the one that probably would be the most entertaining for me would be Big Bang Theory.

All this is good stuff, but i don't watch them; i prefer anime and wouldn't trade it for anything. I study physics, but i prefer Steins;gate over BBT ; if i want to laugh, Gintama will work out better than Friends; if i want a 'policial' series, instead Criminal Minds or CSI i stick with Detective Conan; if i want to see people pulling out special tricks out of their a*ses i can watch naruto/fairytail/onepiece which make me enjoy myself more than Heroes; and so on.

But this is just how i work, i don't blame who prefers tv shows over anime (in fact, all my friends watch them instead anime).
Jan 2, 2013 6:35 PM

Nov 2012
Favorite shows.

1. Clannad series, Cross Game
2. The Wire (HBO series)
3. Monster, Avatar: The Last Airbender
4. Baccano!
5. Code Geass R1, Death Note Season 1
Jan 3, 2013 4:17 AM
Apr 2010
SunInSplendor said:
Favorite shows.

1. Clannad series, Cross Game
2. The Wire (HBO series)
3. Monster, Avatar: The Last Airbender
4. Baccano!
5. Code Geass R1, Death Note Season 1

On a side note, is Cross Game actually that good? I loved all of the animes on that list, but i havent seen Cross game yet.
Jan 3, 2013 4:22 AM

Dec 2011
The only show I watch besides anime is Game of Thrones.
Jan 3, 2013 4:28 AM

Oct 2012
It depends on enjoyment. I prefer some anime over some TV shows and I prefer some TV shows over some anime
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jan 3, 2013 4:31 AM

Jun 2012
I'm so addicted to anime at the moment it's nearly impossible for me to answer this. And I also think the gap between Anime and American TV shows is just way too wide for me to compare. All that aside, Dexter, House MD, Supernatural, Fringe, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, The good Wife and so many other shows of tremendous quality with great characters and story.

@Pokecenter Even though I haven't seen it, from what I hear Monster and Dexter have A LOTTTT in common
Jan 3, 2013 4:36 AM

Nov 2008
I think I'd rank The Sopranos above Legend of the Galactic Heroes. But it's a tough choice.

Jan 3, 2013 4:42 AM

Nov 2011
Akidomaru said:
Not a fan of American LA shows. TV budget for live-action is laughably bad. Just compare any sci-fi or fantasy anime to Firefly or Game of Thrones. Animation is such a better medium for those things since you can utilize the setting more. Half the time I wonder why Game of Thrones is fantasy for how little they even utilize the setting; compared to say Berserk or Fairy Tail with their fantastic adventures and such. I'd rather watch a kiddy cartoon about Superman than Heroes.. at least the cartoon can have him use his powers where Heroes seemed to always shy away from them using them too much due to lack of budget.

LOL Game of Thrones budget is WAY higher than any anime series and it utilized its setting better than Berserk did. The costumes. Awesome. In Berserk everyone wore plate armor which would have bankrupted the whole country. GoT actually had costumes that made sense. Plate armor for knights and men-at-arms, maille for proffesional soldiers, leather for the common militia.The Setting. Awesome. From The Rus inspired North to the medieval South, to the Arabic influnce in the East. Fairy Tail doesnt compare. The action in Fairy Tail and Berserk consists of reuse animation, stills, and flashing lights. Showing its obviously limited budget. The final battle in GoT part 2 had hundreds of men in costume fighting at once. And I Love Berserk. You obviously are a confirmed weaboo.

Game of Thrones S1 budget is 60 million USD good luck finding an anime that cost more.
dankickyouJan 3, 2013 4:52 AM
The Art of Eight
Jan 3, 2013 5:37 AM
Aug 2012
Think the list of live action shows that I have absolutely loved would run a bit longer than my anime equivalent.

Hmm Babylon 5 vs LoGH........tough. Need to re-watch Bab5 :) And Twin Peaks S1 over everything (still my favourite TV show of all time).
Jan 3, 2013 5:47 AM

Aug 2011
Game of thrones, but seriously they are 2 different things, its like comparing drawings with photographs, there are limitations to live action shows, but they are more realistic and often reflects our daily day life, while the other is for fantasy pleasure
kek
Jan 3, 2013 5:49 AM

Dec 2012
I no longer watch TV lol

Jan 3, 2013 6:07 AM

Aug 2012
GianPacayra said:
I no longer watch TV lol

TV? What's that?

Now I just have a giant display to hook up to my laptop. Or sit there.
Jan 3, 2013 6:21 AM

Feb 2012
dankickyou said:
Akidomaru said:

LOL Game of Thrones budget is WAY higher than any anime series and it utilized its setting better than Berserk did. The costumes. Awesome. In Berserk everyone wore plate armor which would have bankrupted the whole country. GoT actually had costumes that made sense. Plate armor for knights and men-at-arms, maille for proffesional soldiers, leather for the common militia.The Setting. Awesome. From The Rus inspired North to the medieval South, to the Arabic influnce in the East. Fairy Tail doesnt compare. The action in Fairy Tail and Berserk consists of reuse animation, stills, and flashing lights. Showing its obviously limited budget. The final battle in GoT part 2 had hundreds of men in costume fighting at once. And I Love Berserk. You obviously are a confirmed weaboo.

Game of Thrones S1 budget is 60 million USD good luck finding an anime that cost more.
Damn im 2 hours late. I was just about to flame the hell outta of this ass. Anime has more budget than GOT LOL.

I prefer TV shows over anime like Dexter, Merlin, Fringe, How i met Your mother etc. Adventure Times way better than 99% of anime out there.
Jan 3, 2013 6:42 AM

Nov 2011
IceBurn said:
Damn im 2 hours late. I was just about to flame the hell outta of this ass. Anime has more budget than GOT LOL.

I prefer TV shows over anime like Dexter, Merlin, Fringe, How i met Your mother etc. Adventure Times way better than 99% of anime out there.

Yeah. That guy is crazy. Pretty much all of his posts on this forum condemns anything non-anime and hail anime like some Godsend medium that will save humanity.

He probably thinks Btooom is objectively better than LOST too.
The Art of Eight
Jan 3, 2013 6:44 AM

Aug 2012
Riiken said:
I'm so addicted to anime at the moment it's nearly impossible for me to answer this. And I also think the gap between Anime and American TV shows is just way too wide for me to compare. All that aside, Dexter, House MD, Supernatural, Fringe, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, The good Wife and so many other shows of tremendous quality with great characters and story.

@Pokecenter Even though I haven't seen it, from what I hear Monster and Dexter have A LOTTTT in common

Really? thanks. I added it recently to my PTW list, my interest on it keeps growing.
Jan 3, 2013 7:41 AM

May 2010
I like some real life tv shows like Supernatural, Lost, Game of thrones, Big Bang theory...
but I don't really watch tv anymore
Jan 3, 2013 9:52 AM

Apr 2012
That depends. In drama, anime wins. I think the peak of live-action television drama is seasons 26 and 27 of Doctor Who. But even these can't compete with something like Utena, because live-action is so restrictive, you can barely play with the look of the thing, you have to include all sorts of irrelevant details just to look realistic, you can't change the proportions of your cast and so forth.

In comedy, there's no anime which can quite match the likes of Monty Python or Yes Minister. Because using subtle visual cues isn't nearly so useful, animation is far less of an advantage, and the quality of personnel behind those shows takes precedence.
Jan 3, 2013 10:01 AM

Jan 2013
Minus a very few shows like maybe two a week or so, I have no use for TV at all.

I get my anime on DVD and the Net, as if anyone in my area shows it, minus CN which even then shows old stuff or never finishes a show for the most. And I get all of my news online and from papers as frankly all the mainstream networks arn't trust worthy at all.
Jan 3, 2013 10:02 AM

Nov 2012
sometime i watch animalplant but nothing else
Jan 3, 2013 10:19 AM

Apr 2012
MagnumBookworm said:

What exactly makes live-action TV shows necessarily episodic? Non-episodic things like I Claudius or Edge of Darkness are frequently hailed as amongst the very best of live-action television.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Do you like anime about any sport or sports anime in general?

RobertBobert - 4 hours ago

14 by TheMechaManiac »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Which real life underdog story would you like to see getting an anime adaptation the most?

Lincompoop - 1 hour ago

4 by SuperAdventure »»
7 minutes ago

» Does "being an otaku/weeb" still have any meaning in 2024?

thewiru - 5 hours ago

35 by thewiru »»
7 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Yesterday

38 by ryzxgum »»
33 minutes ago

» Do you think secondary rival is more interesting than main rival?

m_alhafidz - 11 hours ago

8 by Fringilla_Vigo »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.