Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2011 8:48 AM

May 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Umibozu is just a big softie underneath the grim exterior, isn't he? Good to see the guy again, he's one of my supporting characters.
Oct 23, 2012 4:21 PM

Jan 2012
Mokkori-chan! Seems like the first two part story in this series, should be interesting. Episode was funny in general and Umibouzu was a welcome addition
Apr 22, 2016 8:47 AM

Oct 2014
Did no one notice the useless detailing whenever Umibozu sat the chair/bench completely bent downwards XD

No one can beat his mettle anyway.

Also like Umibozu just took out the bullets using what kind of new force?
*muscle release, bullet edition*

also new OP
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov 14, 2017 4:48 AM

Jul 2010
Meh, I liked the previous OP way more.
Dec 5, 2018 12:52 PM

Sep 2011
Oh, the new OP is nice, and it features Saeko prominently too!

So, this Umibozu is appearing for the third time. I didn't care about him enough to care about this episode, but this changed now. He finally feels like a character with substance: he now has a past, and someone to protect instead of just being, I don't know, one-dimensional.

But why do I feel this might end up spoiling me a whole another book/anime? I hope it doesn't happen. Looking forward to the conclusion, it's the first time they divide a case in two episodes like this.
Feb 12, 2019 6:50 AM

Oct 2012
Awww new OP, I'll miss the "Ai yooo kienaide" :(

Kaori, didn't you remember few episodes ago where Ryou pranked him to dress like a baby or something like that? xD

Ryou, please suppressed your inner Kenshiro :P

Wait a minute? Snake? Snakeee? Snakeeeeeee?

I want to participate in that giveaway! Where do I sign up? xD
"Signature removed"
Nov 25, 2019 4:33 PM

Nov 2016
Umibozu, (literally) hard shell, but soft core.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 10, 2020 6:58 AM

May 2016
First part episode I just know this gonna be a good one.
Jan 28, 2021 4:16 AM
Jul 2020
Never have I been more terrified, and hungry, for some KFC after Colonel Umibozu chasing Ryo in hot and hilarious pursuit. This one definitely embraced the inner Looney Tones style of violence that I have grown to adore about this classic anime. Also, I can't believe I actually miss Kaori's hammer after seeing the damage Umibozu can pack if Ryo tries his usual antics.

And I actually got and left the room when I saw Umibozu flex and pop out those .38 caliber slugs saying, "I'm done"...this show is just too much...fun and awesomeness. Only downside was the new intro that is a clear downgrade from the unbelievable cool and beautiful first one but at least they kept the awesome closing "Get wild and tough'.
Apr 20, 2021 5:27 AM
Mar 2021
New OP, woo! And quite a memey episode, to think of it.

Come to think of it, Snake was more of a background character in this episode, while Ryo was outright the villain here. Umibozu asked him to protect Maki, but Ryo immediately started going towards the "let's take advantage of her", and only due to Umobozu and Kaori's enormous effort and pure chance was he stopped.

Shame on you, Ryo!
Jul 10, 2021 1:57 PM

Jun 2020
Gosplan14 said:
New OP, woo! And quite a memey episode, to think of it.

Come to think of it, Snake was more of a background character in this episode, while Ryo was outright the villain here. Umibozu asked him to protect Maki, but Ryo immediately started going towards the "let's take advantage of her", and only due to Umobozu and Kaori's enormous effort and pure chance was he stopped.

Shame on you, Ryo!

True, half the time the real villain in the show is Ryo, especially to modern eyes XD

Is that Sumi Shimamoto voicing Maki? The long black puffy hairstyle reminded me of Kyoko Otonashi and now that I think about it the voices are very similar...
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Jul 10, 2021 2:36 PM
Mar 2021
BritishBlitz87 said:

True, half the time the real villain in the show is Ryo, especially to modern eyes XD

Is that Sumi Shimamoto voicing Maki? The long black puffy hairstyle reminded me of Kyoko Otonashi and now that I think about it the voices are very similar...

Imo, the best episodes of City Hunter and its later seasons are those where Ryo's mokkori urges are either restrained or downplayed for storytelling reasons or when they're foiled in often absurd ways like in this episode

And yup! That's indeed the same voice actress as the Manager of Maison Ikkoku!
Jan 17, 2022 5:26 AM

Nov 2017
Hm, new OP. Alrighty then! Gonna miss the old one, fer sure!

This might be the first two-part in the series. Let's go!
Oct 15, 2023 8:11 PM
Dec 2022
A new OP song and it rocks even after all these years since its release in the late '80s.

We get to know the new recurring character - Umibozu - a professional sniper. He is also a sweeper like Ryo making both rivals of sort. He is the perfect anti-mokkori foil to Ryo when trying to protect Maki. LOL

A two-part story..

More topics from this board

Poll: » City Hunter Episode 3 Discussion

aero - Sep 18, 2009

17 by Fortress_Maximus »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » City Hunter Episode 2 Discussion

aero - Sep 17, 2009

20 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Apr 24, 2:59 PM

Poll: » City Hunter Episode 48 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 17, 2012

11 by ANDy342 »»
Apr 24, 8:18 AM

» When does the main plot start?

DigiCat - Jan 31

4 by leekyg »»
Feb 25, 5:02 AM

Poll: » City Hunter Episode 43 Discussion

EZSPECIAL - Dec 4, 2012

9 by ANDy342 »»
Dec 13, 2023 11:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.