Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2011 8:07 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Darn it!
Kiriya turned into a human, losing his memories in the process. I guess I should be happy for him, but I can't help but feel depressed for Honoka; it really feels like she loves him.
It was sad to see Mipple and Mepple closing their lids, going into slumber too.

I hope something happens in the sequel...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 18, 2011 5:37 PM

Mar 2009
Great ending!

I finally finished it, it only took me 396 days! LOL!

It was awesome how Poron got the new power and everything, but I wish there would have been a new attack!

Still, the story end nicely, and I like how they let Grandma drop another little hint, but, I wish they would have elaborated on why she had a Card Commune(Mipple?) when she was younger.

But, hopefully they'll continue more on that in the sequel.

HawthorneKitty said:
I hope something happens in the sequel...

I'm sure the Kiriya thing was a setup for the sequel.

8/10

Urahara Out!!
Mar 31, 2011 2:00 PM

Feb 2010
It was good and def had some high points.... but to me, it lost some steam (especially right before the end) and many of the filler episodes were so boring I'd find myself losing interest. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy filler a lot of the time and I know it's kinda a staple in long-winded series, I just have seen many other series do it better.

It excels in terms of many of the 'good' characters (Mipple, mepple, popo-boy, keeper, old man who forgets everything, the dongo-lady, friends at school..etc), the various settings, and the simple storyline, but it fails when it comes to a villains that are kinda stupid (totally thought Dark King was a building before he moved around episode 25-26... o_0), barely any 'level ups' or progress, and animation.

I would say it should be watched by any Mahou Shoujo fan (such as myself..) but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't rewatch it.

Will I be watching the next season if this show? Probably... but I'll need a break in between.

Despite it's short comings its cute and pink and uplifting... a 7/10 for me!
Dec 16, 2014 6:57 AM

Jul 2009
Porun ex Machina is the way i felt like this series ended really...still an enjoyable series though :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2015 1:09 AM

Jun 2014
Well, Futari wa Precure has come to an end. Glad to see that light triumphed over darkness in the end.

When Mipple & Mepple closed their lids, and went to sleep, I nearly burst into tears. The only other series that made me cry was Nurse Angel Ririka SOS.

This is a great magical girl Anime, and I highly recommend it to all fans of the genre. I'm mostly an old school Anime fan at heart, but it appears that Precure is the light that shines at the end of the tunnel, in a world where I typically have trouble finding good modern Anime.

I give Futari wa Precure a 10/10, and I'll definitely be checking out the sequel, "Max Heart," and the rest of the Precure franchise in the near future!

Jun 25, 2015 12:28 PM

Apr 2012
The first half of the series was great, but second half was atrociously boring: Porun is slap worthy, the three bad guys are awfully repetitive (vs the various shapes of Zakenna of the week + interesting vilains), the plots themselves are more or less rehash of the first half (except maybe choir/play but those have been seen elsewhere).

There is no real emotion or purpose in this half and the plot just drags for on and on. You can say the same thing about the final episodes, no immersion at all. Even the rainbow storm animation was more boring and said with more boring lines than the marble screw/pulsar. Not watching the sequel but might still give another entry in the franchise a shot.

(8+4)/2=6
EratiKJun 25, 2015 12:32 PM
Jul 6, 2016 3:17 PM

Nov 2012
Alright series,repetitive sure but I enjoyed it mainly due to how likable Nagisa and Honoka were.

Overall I'd say 6/10 (maybe 7/10 if I overrate it a bit).
Jul 13, 2016 5:55 PM
Jul 2015
The series was at it's weakest when it focused more on the side characters, and it shown it's brightest when it focused the most on the main duo and the villains. There was repetition, but mostly I stopped being bothered by that a long time ago. Ultimately this show did have moments of brilliance, and in general I loved the time I spent with it. I especially enjoyed the final nine episodes, I basically binged them.

The show also had some great fight scenes. Not every fight was great, but I think there were some that were spectacles of animation.

8/10 for me. Onto the sequel, but I'll probably finish Sailor Moon R first.
May 9, 2017 7:13 AM

Nov 2011
I had mixed feelings toward this series even beyond the halfway point before I made up my mind on what I thought of it, and those thoughts never really changed or felt challenged afterwards: that this is a wholly average, yet enjoyable series.

The show developed a good bond between Nagisa and Honoka and fleshed out their respective personalities quite well. This extended to the fairies also, which is more noteworthy in Mepple's and Popo's cases because I didn't like either of them at first. The villains' personalities and motives fluctuated a lot in quality, but overall I thought they were quite serviceable.

The plot was a lot more shaky and was the overall low point of this Precure iteration. Although there were definitely highlight episodes in relation to the plot, the big picture always felt very simplistic, and while that in itself isn't a bad thing, the straightforward nature or the villains' goals (regardless of their motives) combined with the repetive feel this iteration had at times made the majority of the plot aspect feel lackluster. I do caveat that the ending was still pretty great and surprisingly bittersweet though.

Regarding themes, this is the first Precure I've encountered that was so theme-light, which unfortunately also contributes to its non-standout nature. There's a vague idea of never giving up and keeping hope that is conveyed, but little more.

And as for the action, the Precure claim to fame, it was serviceable and on occasion well choreographed, but rarely ever well animated. For as much as I've seen Futari wa Precure hailed for the Cures getting their hands dirty with the action, I can't help but think those claims are somewhat exaggerated.

All of that being said, aside from some of the repetitive aspects there's very little I could point to that the series actually did "wrong", and the characters carried it pretty well enjoyment-wise. All things considered I will probably think of Futari wa Precure as my baseline for the mahou shoujo genre going forward. This show is the line where, if a mahou shoujo isn't at least doing this well, I'm going to start levying criticisms more heavily.

Still, if you can handle the repetitive aspects in Futari wa Precure you can probably handle them in, say, Sailor Moon as well, and Sailor Moon gets much much better than this series does when it gets good, so if given the choice I would rather relegate this series moreso to people who are already mahou shoujo fans or those who really want the historical context. It's just not standout enough to recommend to most people outside those categories.

One last thing I'd like to say: Even within the Precure franchise there are iterations better at pretty much anything you could want from a mahou shoujo, be it great characterization, a great plot, great thematic development, or just great action. As such I'd ask that others don't base their views of the franchise as a whole on this first installment.

So, overall, 6/10. Hopefully the second season will be at least par to this one.

Edit: I ended up posting a reworded version of this post as a review. If anyone who reads this generally agrees or thinks this perspective would be useful for would-be watchers, please check it out.
TripleSRankMay 9, 2017 5:26 PM
Sep 2, 2017 7:17 PM

May 2010
I agree with 6/10. There was a lot this series did right, but it ended up getting bogged down. Main problem in my mind is that the story was way simpler than the characters. The way they built the dynamic between Honoka and Nagisa was about as impressive as any series I've seen, and the final trio of villains were interesting in their ulterior motives and random moments of personality. Then they clash and it's the most generic good vs. evil shit possible. "We can't lose because we have friends"... umm, yay?

Remembering the good moments of this series, I guess I'm ready for Max Heart. I'm not expecting much based on the reviews, but this series had enough charm that I am optimistic for the sequel.
“Money can't buy dere”
Nov 5, 2017 12:10 PM

Jan 2010
It's been almost a year since I started watching Futari wa Pretty Cure, and it was a year well spent. I've only heard of reactions regarding this series prior to watching, where it was compared to the likes of DBZ for its actions scenes. But, rather, I think it's more of its tone. It's definitely oriented towards a younger demographic, so there are no surprises that the good guys should win at the end. There aren't too many complications or twists, and it's most certainly a straightforward show that attempts to portray itself as some combination of happy-go-lucky adventuring and a cash grab with its large amounts of easily marketable accessories and characters.

But, it also manages to be extremely entertaining, if not outright impressive with how it conducts itself in key moments. There was definite effort put into this series, and it's evident in how it manages to pull of its fun daily ongoings, its critical action scenes, its moments of reprise and reflection, its dire moments of near-defeat, and even now with its sentimentalness. Cheesy as hell, bright and colorful, lots of stock footage, transparent attempts at selling toys, love and friendship everywhere, and with intent at trying to change the magical girl formula, it instead remains content with actually strengthening the formula by doing everything as per its genre, but in ways that feel refined and accentuated. Nothing is surprising, but because of that, the ways things are led into and performed were done with that expectation, so the effort was placed in the actual execution. I think that's why Futari wa Pretty Cure was great for me.

EDIT: Ah, the director Daisuke Nishio did in fact did a lot of work with DBZ, going so far as directing a number of its movies. Also, in that regard, a big difference between Futari wa Pretty Cure and other magical girl shows I've seen is the use of hand-to-hand combat. It accomplishes the same thing as magical blasts and fancy weaponry, but it certainly makes the fights feel a lot more personal. As in, it puts the characters in direct danger, making the fights feel more tense and the stakes feel more higher. It's not much, but it might what makes the show feel unique in that regard. The girls are putting themselves directly in harm's way, so when they win a fight, it feels a lot more well earned. That, and the show seems self-aware a of the time, calling itself out on being corny or absurd during, say, heroic speeches where the characters explicitly state that they're doing or about to do something cliched. It's definitely built off older magical girl titles, but it doesn't stray so far from the formula as to become something else. Again, it stays true to its roots, and I definitely appreciate that.
ShockedNov 5, 2017 1:11 PM
Jan 2, 2019 3:25 AM

Mar 2014
I really liked this show. It makes me sad that the new Precure lacks the "badassness" from this one. So many awesome fights and so many fun slice of life moments... I think that sums it up. I just couldn't help but to have a big smile on my face at the end of each episode. I really like Nagisa's and Honoka's chemistry, how the show deals with Nagisa's worries and their friends problems. Everything felt pretty natural.
There were a few problems though, specially in how the conclusion to the fights were handled, but I eventually just accepted it.

Overall, this was one of the most fun and entertaining shows I've watched, with some awesome action scenes. Definitely not for everyone, but definitely for me.
Kaidu-Jan 2, 2019 3:35 AM
Jan 2, 2019 11:23 AM

Jul 2015
The part with Kiriya is what really hit the ending to me, so happy that seeing the Precure succeed made him push forward to also try to reach his dream of becoming a normal human, now he has a family!

And this is my fourth completed Precure after Heartcatch, Princess and Smile (with Hugtto being close to end), this was the pretty clear "worst" so far mostly due to its very repetitive nature, a similar issue I had with the first half of Heartcatch... but yeah, Nagisa and Honoka are awesome and I enjoyed seeing their friendship grow as the episodes passed so I still had a very nice time.

The action was nice, I liked most of the villains (Dark King is alright as I feel most big baddies are so far, just being bad, but the rest were either good or funny like the muscle idiot from early on), overall a very solid watch, 8/10 from my part.

Let's see what Max Heart has for us, I haven't exactly seen much love towards it but I hope I have a good time nonetheless.
Feb 14, 2019 12:41 PM

Feb 2016
As the first PreCure I watched from start to finish, I loved Futari Wa!
The finale was very sad but I'm also glad Honoka and Nagisa were able to move on! RIP Kiriya, but at least he's living a happier life as a human being now.

Can't wait to start Max Heart!
Mar 19, 2020 10:30 AM
May 2019
Incredibly average and repetitive, especially the transformation scenes, which I ended up skipping almost every time. Still a decent show, however.
Aug 9, 2020 1:06 PM

Sep 2016
Damn it, this actually managed to make me cry a bit, especially the part with Mipple and Mepple. I honestly really love this season, it's probably my second favorite season so far after Suite. (9/10)

Also, I'm really curious about what they are gonna do with the whole Kiriya reincarnating as a Human in Max Heart.
May 31, 2023 10:27 AM

Apr 2023
It took me 79 days but I've reached the finale! It felt a bit underwhelming to me, I liked the Jyaku-king battle from halfway during the season, the one that included Queen, a lot better.
Honoka and Nagisa are a good team though and I love how their friendship only got stronger and stronger throughout the season.

Mepple and Mipple saying farewell like that made it sound like they were dying and that kind of confused me, and it also made me sad. They didn't even get to say anything to Pollun :(

I can't wait to start my next PreCure series!
Mar 5, 7:11 PM

Dec 2022
final battle was ok, but hey it's the first Precure season wasn't expecting too big a spectacle.
real nice wrap up with the song and Kiriya though, in that regard a satisfying conclusion

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 5 Discussion

Sasuke10271994 - Aug 9, 2010

14 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 16, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 21 Discussion

MusashiRose - Mar 9, 2011

14 by ILOVEMEIKO »»
Mar 30, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 47 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Mar 13, 2011

7 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 5, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 46 Discussion

MusashiRose - Mar 30, 2011

8 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 5, 12:35 AM

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 45 Discussion

ScrewBall - Aug 7, 2010

7 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 5, 12:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.