Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2011 6:36 PM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was....pretty damn hilarious. It was terrible, yet so absurd and badly made that it was quite amusing to watch.

My favorite part was when the "rebels" were charging into the inner palace, bent on doing, errr terrible things, to the girls. So damn unfitting, and then seeing the girls with the cannon aimed at the entrance. Boooom, best animation in the movie.

Pretty much had to turn my brain off to enjoy this. I'm sure a kid would enjoy it well enough though, if you can look past the implied ALMOST MASS RAPE, or the scene in the hay o_e I seriously choked when I read the narration at the end.

Jan 24, 2013 1:18 PM
Oct 2008
The problems here are two fold: it tries to fit too much story and character development into too little time and it has a real problem with establishing the right tone [shifting rapidly between lighthearted fun and serious drama, sometimes within the same scene]. I do appreciate what it was going for, though, and it was far more engaging than I really expected it to be at the outset [intended on watching just a bit of it at first, but wound up watching the whole thing in one go]. With a bit more time and more coherent direction, it really could have been something special.

As it is, I did enjoy it, but not enough so that I'd ever really consider rewatching it later.
Oct 25, 2014 3:21 AM
Dec 2011
this tell us a good lesson... as the EMPEROR himself said having enemies inside is the real danger... because of that a young great king died before he could reform the ministers and do good deeds to people actually before he could do anything.

, i feel for him i really do the only good thing in his life is GINGA and her true love for him and his pure love for GINGA i love this story... at least the kings wishes is carried out by ginga and the emperor son so their love,hopes and dreams lived on by their son :3
Apr 10, 2015 12:39 AM

Jun 2014
I wasn't too impressed by this Anime. It started off good, and when Ginga first got into the palace with the other girls, there was some interesting comedy and storyline there.

Unfortunately, this Anime to me, took a turn for the worse towards the end. The only other girl who is just as interesting as Ginga dies, the prince suicides, and almost everything that happens after is mostly narrated, and not shown.

I liked the art style and animation, and if the end was better, I would've given it a higher score, but I was left somewhat disappointed. Not even the Ghibli style could save it, probably because it's not a Ghibli production.

May 3, 2015 6:53 PM

Mar 2012
People have recommended this for me because it's supposedly an "feminist" history. While it it quite true, they forgot to say that it was damn shitty. The worst part is that it could have been awesome if not the terrible direction and meh animation (voice acting is also not that good either). And also, who the hell tought that it was a good idea to create an animation that involves an attemped mass rape for children? The fact that they just pretended that it did not happen also made it worse....
Orio94 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was....pretty damn hilarious. It was terrible, yet so absurd and badly made that it was quite amusing to watch.

My favorite part was when the "rebels" were charging into the inner palace, bent on doing, errr terrible things, to the girls. So damn unfitting, and then seeing the girls with the cannon aimed at the entrance. Boooom, best animation in the movie.

Pretty much had to turn my brain off to enjoy this. I'm sure a kid would enjoy it well enough though, if you can look past the implied ALMOST MASS RAPE, or the scene in the hay o_e I seriously choked when I read the narration at the end.
My toughts exactly.
Aug 26, 2015 2:32 PM

Mar 2010
wow -_- depressing ending. Honestly didn't think the movie would end this way lol.
StardewAug 26, 2015 2:39 PM
Aug 5, 2017 4:24 PM

May 2012
Damn a bit of a sad ending to be honest, but to be honest I did actually enjoy the movie quite a bit. It had an interesting start and nice progression just the ending isn't the happy ending I was expecting! It also reminded me a bit of old Ghibli especially in terms of character design.

Quite liked it in general to be honest.
Sep 18, 2018 1:19 PM

Jun 2015
That old lady rocks.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Nov 23, 2019 6:20 PM

Jun 2015
I seriously choked when I read the narration at the end.
Well, fitting.

The movie looks good but it tries to include way too much while not developing it either and yet it feels quite long considering the pacing it maintains throughout.
Mar 16, 2020 10:11 AM

Dec 2008
Ginga: gives gun to an already desperate and ready to die emperor
Emperor: kills himself
Ginga: *surprised pikachu face*

bruh
Aug 21, 2020 9:21 PM

Jan 2010
Okay, going to bullet point this since my thoughts are all over the place...

• I was initially confused about the setting, as it seemed like China, but there were some Japanese-esque names and locations mixed in. They might be similar word and characters used in between the languages, I was trying to figure out the cultural context for half the film.
  • I don't know why the Emperor decided to choose Ginga as his first wife. He mentioned that he chose her through the professor, as she apparently had some sort of special personality quirk and worldview, but the Emperor just wanted someone to confide in? He recognized that Ginga was still a child, so I'm unsure if a child would make a good person to discuss political court issues. Plus, she didn't show any particularly aptitude in studying or refinement. If she was just chosen because she struck the Emperor's fancy, that's fine, but it makes the first half of the film a bit superfluous.
  • The rebellion was started out of boredom? They brought up issues offhand, but apparently the issue was they were poor, oppressed, but primarily didn't have anything better to do, so they just rebelled for the heck of it? I mean, when they were rushing into the palace, they seemed more concerned with looting and finding women.
  • How'd the rebel army get so uniformly well equipped? I'm guessing there are military soldiers mixed in, but they showed up so suddenly and in such large numbers.
  • I'm not really feeling sympathy for the Emperor since no actual governing was actually shown. For all I can tell, they spent a couple of months focused solely on getting the Emperor a wife without doing anything in terms of taking care of the country.
  • Why are the consorts fighting off the rebel army? Is there no military or palace guards?
  • All the talk about a woman's role in this society, especially in the court, seemed to set up for the women to rise up and subvert those roles, but it just seems so clumsily done since, by the end, they were still prizes for the rebels. I can't make arguments toward this representation due to the cultural and temporal context of 17th century China, but as a Japanese film made in 1990, it seems like a bad interpretation with how the film attempted to introduce stilted comedy and weird dramatic moments like that one random death of Koryun.
  • This is particularly true for Ginga, who is written to mistake free-spiritedness with entitlement. I don't know how a poor girl from the countryside managed to get such a lofty personality, willing choose to become a caged bird of the court, and lament on how it didn't turn out how she imagined. By the end of the film, she's apparently a competent commander of the consorts defending the palace, as well as apparently in love with the Emperor? I'm not really sure honestly. I guess they care about each other? The development was so sudden that I can't be certain.

At the end, I'm guessing this film wanted to be a historical drama about a young girl in the court of royalty, but there were so many elements mashed together, along with half-baked themes, that made for a disjointed story. Some of the animation was nice at least, but seeing as the director previously made Dallos seven years prior with even better animation, I can't give Like the Clouds, Like the Wind much credit.
Dec 30, 2021 11:52 AM

Aug 2017
I, for one, enjoyed Ginga's seiyuu. She doesn't have many roles in anime, but I loved the way she pronounced "s", haha. The movie itself could benefit from being longer and providing more background to some characters and setting, but even with its flaws I enjoyed it enough. There were some funny moments (e.g. when the old woman started talking in a fairly unique way), although the more serious parts weren't particularly well contrasted with the overall tone of the movie (there's no blood despite all the violent acts, and some scenes aren't as emotionally impactful - like Tamyuun's death).
Feb 11, 12:41 PM
Dec 2022
A moving story. Lovely vintage animation.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.