Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2011 10:34 PM

Feb 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good first episode. Better than I thought it would be....

Kawaii outfits <33
Mar 7, 2011 1:04 AM

Sep 2008
Looks like being a precure runs in the family, well, at least concerning the grandma.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 7, 2011 1:11 AM

Sep 2008
Looks like being a precure runs in the family, well, at least concerning the grandma.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 7, 2011 1:12 AM

Sep 2008
May 3, 2011 6:46 AM

Nov 2008
zakenna lol
Mar 8, 2012 7:39 PM

May 2010
That was actually adorable. I am successfully hooked into a really long franchise!
“Money can't buy dere”
Feb 28, 2015 10:43 PM

Jun 2014
This is pretty cool! I should have started watching this sooner! I saw an episode or two of this on TV about six years ago or so, but they took it off the air. I'm glad that I can now watch it in its entirety.

Jan 10, 2016 6:49 AM

Jan 2016
And thus begins my mission to watch everything Pretty Cure, movies included.

I have to say, the first episode wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. It was actually pretty adorable. Both mains seem to be likable enough, and the action, while not great, was alright. Definetly a good first impression.

Also, the Villain seems to be David Bowie from Labyrinth, which is the best thing ever.

Edit: Oh, and i really like the intro too. Its actually quite catchy.^^
PlagueDoctorDJan 10, 2016 7:35 AM
May 5, 2016 10:06 AM

Nov 2011
why am i doing this to myself
Jun 20, 2016 10:01 PM

Nov 2012
Decided to give this franchise a chance on a whim,recently been hating every show I've started so hopefully this will be a nice change of pace.
Jan 7, 2017 2:46 AM

Jan 2010
I am watching Futari wa Precure. I never thought I'd live to see the day.

The brains and brawn duo. Superstitions. Popularity issues. Boyfriend issues. Collectable gems. Collectable cards. Fancy gadgets. An easily manufactured pouch for them to go into. All the colors of the rainbow, bright and bold, in spite of the main characters being black and white. Mascots. A transformation scene that must have lasted a good minute or two. Grand speeches about defeating evil and calling out attack names. A set up for a monster-of-the-week scenario. Shouting into the sky only for the camera to zoom out, highlighting the supposed absurdity of the situation. It's been so long since I've watched a magical girl show, especially one that's not some sort of parody or twist on the concept. It's almost refreshing in a sense, but goodness gracious.

This was made back in 2004, but I'm actually surprised by two things: the level of self-awareness the show has for a few magical girl cliches such as the previously mentioned battle speeches, and the fact that the girls aren't straight up magical. In fact, the first thing they did was attempt to fight hand-to-hand, and they were doing quite well. From the analogy I've been made aware of, if Nanoha is Gundam, then Pretty Cure would be synonymous with Dragon Ball Z. That's the mindset I'm going into the franchise with, and while I'm not expecting adrenaline-powered action scenes, I'm curious to see where that reputation came from.
Apr 26, 2017 10:23 PM

Nov 2011
Well that was thoroughly amusing.

Cure Black and Cure White's starting dynamic is almost the opposite of what I thought it would be. I figured Black would be a lot more assertive and aggresive with White being more subdued and submissive, but it turned out that Honoka/White just rolled with everything and took to it while Nagisa/Black was basically dragged into it kicking and screaming.

The way they fought felt genuine in that you could their inexperience was conveyed well: The way Black ran up to Pissard and tackled him, for example, is something you might expect of someone who actually has no idea how to fight in the first place.

I'm curious about the cards since none of the later Precures I've seen had anything like that. Maybe they'll get some sort of magical abilities from them? This iteration in particular has that Sailor Moon x Dragon Ball rep though, so it's hard to say how that will factor in.

Fun episode. It definitely has that oldschool mahou shoujo vibe to it.
TripleSRankApr 26, 2017 10:32 PM
Jun 16, 2017 11:27 PM
Nov 2015
The sequence before the OP is kinda EPIC isn't it!!!! passing each other by without realizing their fates are intertwined, plus, they're both competent girls!!! And it's done so fast, no fuzz, just really concise.
I musta seen it before!!! THE OP SOUNDS SO FAMILIAR
Jun 16, 2017 11:28 PM
Nov 2015
Is that a bit of jazz/ swing in the soundtrack??
Jun 16, 2017 11:55 PM
Nov 2015
Not been this fuwa fuwa happy for an OP and ED since CCS's first OP and ED!!!! the voice of the singer is so retro, like from back in the 90s.
Yukishiro's voiced by seiyuu of Li Meiling!!! And how the hell is Mepuru voiced by Seki Tomokazu?
Other than that, pretty standard ep.
OH, the best thing is Yukishiro, she's kinda mature, so positive, takes thing as it is, don't question much. Hahaha and so smart!!
Sean_NessmanJun 16, 2017 11:59 PM
Jun 16, 2017 11:58 PM
Nov 2015

Yes, lol. I thought they would end the fight by Fuzakenna or sth
Nov 5, 2018 5:35 AM

Jul 2015
After the amazing ride I had so far with Precure (Hugtto, Heartcatch, Princess and Smile, all of them amazing) it's time to finally go for the original!

I remember watching a bit of this as a kid, and I definitely recognized both OP and ED songs.

Pretty good first impression, when it comes to the character introductions and the comedy I think it did a great job getting me interested, on the other hand the transformation scene was far from impressing me in comparison to newer ones, and while the animation of the fight was nice looking, it felt a bit too slow in the movements.

With that said, I'm definitely interested on watching more, I hope I get to love this version as much as the others so far!

Apr 7, 2019 3:40 AM

Apr 2013
AC/DC vs Kiss?

Also, the Kiss guy is like a stormtrooper... it's like the make-up blinds him.

TyranthApr 7, 2019 3:51 AM
Jul 22, 2019 8:40 AM

Jan 2013
The aesthetics are unbelievable when it comes to their magical clothes. I stan.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Oct 5, 2021 9:39 AM

Dec 2020
i actually really love the art style, this reminds me of a lot of cartoons id watch when i was little. cant wait to watch more
Feb 6, 2022 2:51 PM

Jun 2014
Here to mark my first foray into the franchise, too! (^o^)/

It's adorable how hard the magical phones date the franchise, but on the other hand, I like recalling what it used to be like when I was little - I can imagine the toys were a lot of fun, a cross between an interactive phone and a Tamagotchi, perhaps?
Jun 22, 2022 8:24 PM
Jul 2018
YAY!! Great first episode :3 So far, Nagisa is my fav (bit biased cuz she plays lax owo)
The sidekicks are absolutely adorable!!! so are the outfits :D
Plus, the ending song is SOOOO catchy, I have listened to it many times!!
Aug 5, 2022 2:34 AM

Dec 2021
Nah MAL, with the way he says it, it's definitely spelled PISSard, not Pisard, even the fansub I'm watching spells it that way. Anyway, good first episode, though those sequences are WAY too long.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Oct 28, 2022 9:38 AM

May 2018
Lmao I thought they were swiping their credit cards to transform xD

rip Zakenna
Jul 25, 2023 6:46 PM
May 2023
mepple and mipple are super cute
Jan 14, 11:06 AM

Jan 2022
Fine first episode.
I'm glad they pointed out the Math thing. I was watching Cat's Eye, and they had 2 or 3 episodes where they had this word in English written on documents, to make it look legit and all, but they mixed up the l and r (since, you know, Japan), so it would be something like Fire instead of File. Disapointed me, made me laugh at the scene, and feel bad for them, but then it was repeated. Anyways, this was the opposite; I'm happy the equation was wrong on purpose.
Nothing really caught me in this episode, and I doubt I'll really get into Precure, but it wasn't bad.
The cards made me think of Dinosaur King or Psima Illya.
Feb 1, 11:49 PM

Dec 2022
man this captured the time period so well with the LaX stick and the attitude towards having flip phones sheesh boy I regret not watching a lot of anime as a kid looks like I just have to watch it all now
Mar 4, 6:59 PM

Sep 2021
This is an exciting start to the Precure franchise! I can’t get over Pissard’s name though, poor guy 😭

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 5 Discussion

Sasuke10271994 - Aug 9, 2010

14 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 16, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 21 Discussion

MusashiRose - Mar 9, 2011

14 by ILOVEMEIKO »»
Mar 30, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 49 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Mar 13, 2011

17 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 5, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 47 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Mar 13, 2011

7 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 5, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 46 Discussion

MusashiRose - Mar 30, 2011

8 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 5, 12:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.