Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 28, 2011 6:04 AM

Jun 2010
This episode caught me off guard
Beginning was like :)
then it was like (0_0)
Jan 28, 2011 6:57 AM

Dec 2009
Huuuge atmosphere change .... in a good way ... still ... i think i'd prefer being brainwashed to not give a damn about anything ... <3.
Jan 28, 2011 7:44 AM

Nov 2007
Yumekichi11 said:
cleo said:
Or she's the real Nessa? After all, doppels are based upon humans.
Could very well be. If so then I would like a explanation for doppel Nessa other than a data safe.

Same here. My guess for now is that it has to do with human-Nessa(?) being a priestress (so she can't be with her family), but we'll have to wait and see.
I also want more explanation on how LM have so much knowledge.

alwaysbored said:
still ... i think i'd prefer being brainwashed to not give a damn about anything ... <3.

But that brainwashing is stopping people from caring about humanity. It stops people from wondering whether a world without normal human interaction is ok.
In that respect I agree with LM's ideology. But their methods...
Jan 28, 2011 8:17 AM

Jun 2009
Wow that was awesome! Didn't expect that. Looking forward to the next episode!

Jan 28, 2011 8:22 AM

May 2007
Well we took a left turn in the last 5 minutes didn't we. Lost Millennium didn't seem that trustworthy but I guess they were right.

Did they really kill one of the comic reliefs?
My anime list
Jan 28, 2011 8:41 AM

Jan 2009
oh wow their is blood on this anime XD
Jan 28, 2011 8:57 AM
Nov 2008
Ok, I'm sidestepping my original claim of "if Miyazaki did Dennou Coil" and instead replacing it with "if Miyazaki did The Matrix". The ANN preview guide wasn't kidding when they said "if you're going to steal, steal from the best" XD

I'd probably but this at 2nd best show of the season, right behind Madoka. The world has just gotten more and more fascinating with each episode. And I'm still confused enough that I want to know so much more, particularly after that ending!
Jan 28, 2011 9:07 AM

Jun 2009
Wow, I certainly didn't expect Fractale to turn this way; that was one hell of an abrupt mood change.

And I liked it.
Slice-of-life Fractale was boring me. This is beginning to become interesting, that plot twist was just what it needed. I’m all for this kind of approach from now on.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Jan 28, 2011 9:29 AM

Dec 2010
Finally we get to see some direction this is going. If they keep that up, this series could turn out great. They went a bit overboard with the violence though, didn't fit so well with the childish characters.

And Hanazawa Kana does a great job with Nessa's voice. Reminds me of Yui at times.
Jan 28, 2011 9:46 AM
Mar 2010
Just something that kind of got me at the end, the "real" Nessa called Phryne her sister, and isn't O Nes Sama (or something to that effect) sister in Japanese? And could that perhaps be why Nessa is calling her self Nessa? because she's getting o ne sama wrong? Both words are quite alike. Edited for spelling :)
Jan 28, 2011 10:07 AM

Oct 2010
well i wasnt expecting this :)
lets hope the series keeps on going in the way it is
Jan 28, 2011 10:30 AM

Nov 2007
Definitely enjoyed this episode the most until yet! It was a nice change of pace and I'm hoping they'll keep it that interesting!
Jan 28, 2011 10:48 AM

Jun 2009
That was great episode! The last few minutes were really shocking. I totally didn't expect to see blood in Fractale. Can't wait for next episode.
Jan 28, 2011 10:53 AM

Nov 2008
One has to ask the question - just where did the rebels get their assault rifles and ammo? They didn't just grow them in their kitchen gardens.

And assuming that the data dump that we got was correct and the Fractal system has been in place for a thousand years, just how would the weapons still work, let alone all of the "ancient technology" in Granites Villiage?

So far the story has been trying too hard to be pseudo-Ghibli and is skimping way too much on self-consistancy.

Right now I'm betting that this will be more of a remake of "Zardoz" than "Nausicaa"... the signs are all saying, "Take an extra dose of Suspension of Disbelief booster"...
Jan 28, 2011 10:58 AM

Mar 2008
Football said:
Me at the beginning of Episode 3 - "Aww man Fractale is such a whimsical adorable calming show."

I had that every time I watched Fractale.. even saying it had a sort of CLANNAD feeling (Calm, drama etc.)

But then...

Me at the ending of Episode 3 - "Did those grannies just get mowed down in a hail of semi-automatic gunfire?"

Thate came up :'3.

Quiet Waters have Deep Grounds - a Dutch saying. (Stille wateren hebben diepe gronden)

Meaning: What you see at the outside doesn't say anything of the inside.
Jan 28, 2011 11:40 AM

Oct 2010
That was a drastic change from the regular flow of the show so far. I was really shock when i saw them shot down the old lady(priest) and then Butcher was killed and i was like \( ´ Д`)/
I like the animations of people dying (ya i just said that). They did way more than random beams of light hitting people, and people falling to the ground. It was just the right amount of details needed to create an impact.
Amazing Episode overall
huh?
Jan 28, 2011 11:53 AM

Sep 2009
I was just thinking that this show had some cross-demographic appeal to both kids and adults, albeit for the completely inappropriate naughty jokes...until the last five minutes. Well, goodbye beautiful and charming show, hello grannies getting blasted into smithereens.
Jan 28, 2011 1:01 PM

Aug 2010
Daha, dancing the flavor was funny, and the comments of those outside watching too :')

Jan 28, 2011 1:13 PM

Aug 2010
Shit just got real in Fractale. Between this and Madoka, the shit:real ratio is skyrocketing.
Jan 28, 2011 1:37 PM

Sep 2010
Shit just got real. Totally wasn't expecting this.
Jan 28, 2011 3:16 PM

Mar 2010
When I first started watching this I figured it was just going to be some boring repetitive comedy bs show. This was ... different.
Jan 28, 2011 3:35 PM

Apr 2010
The hypnotising thing i already predicted from the first episode... when he looked at the light and stuff... so it wasn't shocking or anything...

The amount of deaths... were quite shocking.

This episode was awesome... but something is still bothereing me... is it... the "Fractal" system or the "Fractale" system? The voice actors call it "Fractal(Furakutaru)"... which is a word, whilst Fractale as far as i know isn't a word... and In Japanese in the OP sequence it says in Katakana "Furakutaru" NOT "Furakuteru" Which makes me think what is the name really? Or are UTW Subbing it wrong? Or the anime is called Fractale but the system described for plot in the anime is called Fractal? So which one is it?
Jan 28, 2011 5:28 PM

Dec 2008
I was not expecting to see a massacre at the end of this show! Did I really just witness old ladies getting mowed down in a hail of gunfire?
Enri makes me sick!!
Nessa is just adorable!!
Jan 28, 2011 6:27 PM

Jan 2011
Great episode! Especially when compared to the first two. For me, the show finally got interesting and now I can't wait for next week. [=
Jan 28, 2011 6:53 PM

Mar 2010
So far, Fractale felt like X'amd + Dennou Coil on a steroid in many ways. Anyway, great episode and I really loved it.

Jan 28, 2011 7:01 PM

Jan 2009
Wow what an episode, some questions were answered and I honestly didn't expect to see scenes of extreme violence in this anime, I mean old ladys getting shot and giant holes in people O_o!!! Really good episode though and a really good anime.
Jan 28, 2011 8:53 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Yes, FINALLY some blood AND decent SF plot.

We need more series of Black Lagoon caliber.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 28, 2011 10:32 PM

Jul 2010
Shit got real; this and Madoka is getting serious...

Jan 29, 2011 2:11 AM
Mar 2010
Oh, it's just a brainwashing ceremon-
Did not expect all the cruelty and the gore from this series.
I guess this is the time when you say, "Shit just got real!"
Jan 29, 2011 4:22 AM

Nov 2007
CRAZEH247 said:

This episode was awesome... but something is still bothereing me... is it... the "Fractal" system or the "Fractale" system? The voice actors call it "Fractal(Furakutaru)"... which is a word, whilst Fractale as far as i know isn't a word... and In Japanese in the OP sequence it says in Katakana "Furakutaru" NOT "Furakuteru" Which makes me think what is the name really? Or are UTW Subbing it wrong? Or the anime is called Fractale but the system described for plot in the anime is called Fractal? So which one is it?

The name of the anime is Fractale, as that's the adress of the official site:
http://fractale-anime.com/
But I also got the impression that the system is called Fractal and not Fractale.
Jan 29, 2011 5:56 AM

Apr 2009
So Fractale = Shitty version of the Matrix. And Clain = Pussy version of Neo.
Jan 29, 2011 7:05 AM

Sep 2007
Ok, now that was what I was expecting from this show!

Jan 29, 2011 8:00 AM

Jul 2010
woo. phryne is involved in brain washing. never thought her sister is the one controlling those star machines but phryne sad face in the end and why she stole that key and ran away. maybe she's against all these things?
Jan 29, 2011 8:39 AM

Dec 2008
Fractale just reminded me why I generally wait until about episode 3 to give a rating to any anime.

I don't usually say this but I can't really sum up my feelings towards this episode except with the phrase, "Shit just got real."

I hope Fractale keeps this stuff up!
Jan 29, 2011 10:16 AM

May 2008
Ok, such a drastic change in the plot and in the atmosphere I was shocked. But it was a great plot twist and now I like this show more and more.

CRAZEH247 said:

I think there's no need to construe it so seriously it's just simply Engrish. They pronounce english words in another way so even if they say "Fractal" it's Fractale.
Jan 29, 2011 10:20 AM

Jan 2011
blood and death are not what i expected

in eps 1, Phryne fell into the cliff also did not die...

anyway this eps did make me like the show more
Jan 29, 2011 11:32 AM

Apr 2010
sayami said:

Yeah but Fractal is an actual word whilst Fractale isn't

And also... what i think is... that the ANIME NAME is "Fractale" whilst in the plot of the anime, the system's name is "Fractal" which to me makes much more sense.
Jan 29, 2011 12:33 PM

Mar 2009
Wow! This episode was pretty interessing. The ep 1 was normal. Not so good. But ep 2 and this was really really awesome. And Phryne was appaer again. She is Nessa's sister? 0.0 I want know more about them. I wait for the next episode! *.*

Jan 29, 2011 1:23 PM

May 2008
CRAZEH247 said:
sayami said:

Yeah but Fractal is an actual word whilst Fractale isn't

And also... what i think is... that the ANIME NAME is "Fractale" whilst in the plot of the anime, the system's name is "Fractal" which to me makes much more sense.
Well, yeah, you have a point there. Though I still think it's just a fabricated word which is not seriously mean anything to the plot line just a name for that system. Even if it has a meaning or not I doubt the real word "Fractal" has anything to do with the whole story. Maybe it was choosen because it sounded somewhat scientific and matched the atmosphere.
I even doubt that they did pay attention to the difference between the two word, when they created the story.
Jan 29, 2011 2:25 PM

Aug 2008
Absolutely love it so far. The setting, the artwork, the characters, and the animation are fantastic. Hard to choose between this and Gosick as a Winter favorite.
Jan 29, 2011 3:48 PM

Nov 2009
There was... blood. NOOO BUTCHER!

Amazing episode. They made exposing the system actually exciting, and the first half was really funny at times. (i was laughing so hard when they were spying on them dancing)
Jan 29, 2011 9:10 PM
Nov 2009
why brainwash people to be like that
Jan 29, 2011 10:05 PM

Nov 2009
wow this is great, and yea i think nessa is her doppel but nessa has a personality and it seems like her sister is a brainwashed tool or something. phyrne looked kind of disgusted by her
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 29, 2011 10:16 PM

Sep 2008
This is pretty much what I was hoping this anime would turn out to be. Not disappointed.

5/5
Jan 29, 2011 11:10 PM

Jul 2009
Whoa. Did not expect that.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jan 30, 2011 12:09 AM

Jul 2008
What. The last few minutes of this episode took me completely by surprise.

BEGINNER
Jan 30, 2011 2:31 AM
Jan 2011
Wow. So-fuckin-brilliant. Even though I was expecting some killing at the end, I never would've thought of it being that way- that bloody way. First impression of these Lost Millenium guys: they might actually be the good ones, I kinda like them. Well, now I am really intrigued about what is coming up.

So, Nessa: she can't be touched by people who "hate" her. Interesting. The word there is kirai, so I'd rather think of it in terms of "dislike" and, in this case, just "not like". When Clain couldn't touch her, why was that? He was scared of her smile. Just scared, not hating her. He was even concerned about the fact of not being able to touch her. He started getting depressed after leaving her, and it was only when she came back that he realized that he was not just missing her, but also the fact that her presence made him happy. That's when he got back his smile. And wasn't that what Phryne was talking about in the first ep?

Smiling, then, is one big key to solve this puzzle. Still, there are many unanswered questions to try an hypothesis. But there's another one. That song Clain was listening to in his iPod, at the very beginning. That very same song that stop Phryne from escaping from that LaMe trio and made her smile, that very same song both Phryne and Nessa sung. It seems to go down deep in Clain's history. He being the chosen one to keep Nessa, what has that song to do with? Maybe something back in his baby days, those taped and then projected in his bedroom. Clain smiling, being happy, interacting with other people and actually caring about them. Was that the cause for leaving Nessa to his care? Was it for him to recover this happy-gregarious- human feeling? Unlike LM guys, seeing dead bodies falling down and blood splattered all around made him really sick. And that's quite a difference. He cares about things like truth, freedom, happiness, human beings and relations, like apparently LM does, but he's also very fond of order and peace. Could that be the way Phryne wants to make things to be, the world to be opened by Nessa- that is, to be opened by Clain with the aid of Nessa?
Jan 30, 2011 2:59 AM

Aug 2010
Really enjoyed this episode. Wasn't expecting that shootout to occur but, goddamn, it was awesome.
Jan 30, 2011 11:19 AM

Jul 2009
Wow, awesome episode. Loved the carefree ness at the beginning, but the end was just WOW. Really didn't expect everyone to start dying
Nessa is awesome. Seriously. Except she's actually a clone of an actual priestess ... who is Phryne's sister?! O_O Wow, that kind of sucks lol >_<
Anyways, the whole brainwashing thing really is kind of like society anyways. Freedom and all that? Yea, pretty deep :P
Jan 30, 2011 12:46 PM

Aug 2008
I'm glad this episode clarifies some points I had; Nessa being confirmed as a doppel and why those people are after Clain and Nessa. Good timing too because I was thinking of dropping this if it doesn't pick up the pace soon.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fractale Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

stevewiess01 - Jan 20, 2011

137 by ka7eMARU »»
Feb 6, 2023 7:29 PM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ariamachi - Mar 31, 2011

204 by luminality »»
Nov 23, 2022 3:04 AM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DL21 - Feb 24, 2011

94 by luminality »»
Nov 22, 2022 5:16 PM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

-Angy- - Feb 17, 2011

78 by luminality »»
Nov 22, 2022 7:53 AM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

confusedmuse - Mar 17, 2011

74 by badabass »»
Feb 4, 2022 6:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.