3It was OK
3.1%
2Disliked it
1.2%
1Hated it
1.2%
Average 4.6
161 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 29, 2008 4:16 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Funny how Reinhard and Yang thought the exact same plan of kamikaze fortresses to win the battle early on. Both of them really need to go toe-to-toe to see who'd come out on top. However Yang would definitely need reinforcements before that matchup could happen. Reinhard still has much more manpower at his disposal.

Genius seems to be contagious when it comes to Yang. Julian showed some promise with his strategy. Even Merkatz was impressed. That ought to earn him a nice promotion.

The Alliance representative to Phezzan is a complete fool. After getting tricked by Kessellink the first time, how is it he's once again swayed by the very same lies? I'd maybe understand if Kessellink tried to change his story and attack at a different angle but he went back to spewing the same 'Yang Administation' garbage. Well at the very least it will be much harder to pull Yang off the front lines again. I don't think any other politicians will want to have to grovel on their knees like Negroponty had to.
tainteddonutSep 7, 2008 5:39 PM

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Sep 5, 2008 2:40 AM

Feb 2008
It's good to see Merkatz has proven to be a worthy alley for the Alliance and Julian will probably be awesome later on. Yang's been kind of a lone warrior for awhile, unlike Reinhard. So it'll be nice to see Yang build up a "cabinet" of his own.

This battle was probably the craziest yet, but "Yang the Magician" did come through!
Oct 19, 2008 8:39 AM

Aug 2008
I think that it would have been better had Reinhard controlled the fleet to take Iserlohn. Muller seemed to be the only one competent enough to really lead that group. Wonder how Reinhard will take this defeat and how it could effect him politically.
Feb 2, 2009 6:34 AM

Jan 2008
This fortress face-off has been the best battle of the show so far. Every single step taken was logical and there was no cartoonish villain hijinks, everyone was generally cooperating with their superiors in trying to win the conflict, and it was topped with great ideas and visuals.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 13, 2009 1:45 PM

Jan 2009
I'll admit this has been one of the best battles I've seen so far, but that first fight where Yang had everyone in an Oroboros formation remains my favorite. Julian was able to form a strategy as Yang would and Merkatz helped excecute it excellently. The things Yang mentioned regarding the Empire's options were on the mark and sadly for them, it was ineveitably Kempf's actions that brought on such a huge loss... but really there were many variables that kept them from winning from assumptions to jumping to conclusions. Overall, a great battle, but again at the cost of so many lives.
Dec 1, 2009 2:02 PM

May 2009
I was expecting the Empire to win, and succeed in capturing or destroying Isherlohn. But I was wrong. The Alliance was a lot more capable than I had thought, and Julian helped out a lot. Awesome battle.
Jan 2, 2010 9:22 AM

Apr 2009
Julian and Merkatz pwn
Mar 28, 2010 5:02 AM

Nov 2008
Um... how was Geiersburg suddenly destroyed so easily when before the same attack caused negligible damage? Is its stern, if it has such a thing, vulnerable? Or was their defeat a result of distraction? I hope I missed something, because I refuse to believe blowing up an engine would render the entire fortress defenseless. Even if it did, it seems an obvious enough strategy that someone should have thought of it before Wenli's return. I mean, if it were a video game, the engines would have been my first target. Honestly, I sometimes feel the characters are only intelligent and resourceful when the story needs them to be.
EzekielMar 28, 2010 5:07 AM

Mar 28, 2010 5:23 AM

Oct 2007
Ezekiel said:
Um... how was Geiersburg suddenly destroyed so easily when before the same attack caused negligible damage? Is its stern, if it has such a thing, vulnerable? Or was their defeat a result of distraction? I hope I missed something, because I refuse to believe blowing up an engine would render the entire fortress defenseless. Even if it did, it seems an obvious enough strategy that someone should have thought of it before Wenli's return. I mean, if it were a video game, the engines would have been my first target. Honestly, I sometimes feel the characters are only intelligent and resourceful when the story needs them to be.

It has been long time since I watch this series, but IIRC before Yang arrives Kempf lowers geiersburg atmosphere a little bit, resulting in the heavier gravity around geiersburg, thus hardening its defense(or something like that).
Mar 28, 2010 6:53 AM

Nov 2008
Either I lack the intelligence to comprehend what Kempf said or these subbers have once again misinterpreted important dialogue. For the sake of pride and time, I'll assume the latter and take your word for it.

Mar 28, 2010 9:30 AM

Oct 2007
Pretty much sure that is bootleg sub. I suggest you to get CA sub
Mar 28, 2010 10:47 AM

Nov 2008
Thanks for persuading me. I intended to stick with this batch, since the AV quality was great and I had already downloaded it all a few days ago. But I now realize the horrid grammar, among other distractions, just wasn't worth it.

Mar 28, 2010 1:08 PM

Mar 2008
This show is based on dialogue, if you watch these subs you'll miss all the things that make LoGH so interesting. :(
Mar 28, 2010 2:03 PM

Nov 2008
If my memory (of last year) serves me right, there wasn't anything deeply wrong as far as plot goes. It was still coherent in the grand scheme of things. There were just some mistakes here and there, like Lohengramm referring to Mariendorf by her first name or coup d'etat being translated to "political changes".
EzekielMar 28, 2010 2:08 PM

May 1, 2010 10:17 AM

Apr 2009
tainteddonut said:
Funny how Reinhard and Yang thought the exact same plan of kamikaze fortresses to win the battle early on.

I thought the same thing. The way they worded it so differently was especially funny xP

Beatnik said:
This fortress face-off has been the best battle of the show so far. Every single step taken was logical and there was no cartoonish villain hijinks, everyone was generally cooperating with their superiors in trying to win the conflict, and it was topped with great ideas and visuals.

Couldn't have said it better myself. LoGH amazes me more and more with each episode.

If Julian grows up to be as magnificent a commander as Yang, I sense great future for the FPA. In addition to (hopefully) Yang's intelligence and scheming skills, he is much more focused and devoted to the military than Yang is, and at the same time not as proud as Reinhard (not to mention there would be no devil incarnate Oberstein at his side).
Well, we'll see.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jun 24, 2010 1:35 AM

Jul 2008
ShinRA said:
Pretty much sure that is bootleg sub. I suggest you to get CA sub
Omfg. I'm going to go shoot myself now. I wondered why think kept using various euphemisms for coup d'état when they were CLEARLY saying that in the audio.

BEGINNER
Jul 22, 2010 9:19 AM
Jun 2010
Wow epic episode. Julian's plan, the execution, the fortress's explosion at the end.

What's the "usable space in the corridor" part ? never heard of something like that in space.

Aug 8, 2010 7:46 AM

Jan 2009
supersayen said:
What's the "usable space in the corridor" part ? never heard of something like that in space.

I think he meant that the corridor was full of alliance ships.

Overall I didn't like this battle very much. Sure Yangs strategy of aiming at the engines was good. But everybody could have thought of that. It didn't need a Yang...
And it sucked how the frtress just blew up after 1 shot. If I remember correctly last episode it was just meager damage.
The ship ballte was also shit. When The empire fleet was inside the ring of the Alliance it looked like they almost passed them with full speed. And then on Yangs whim the Alliance fleet suddenly used the SUPERBOOSTER and blocked the Empires way... sure
It seems like this anime is forcing the outcome of the fights in a way thats convenient to the story. They've shown much better fights before.
Aug 16, 2010 10:16 PM

May 2010
No, you guys are misunderstanding what Yang did. He aimed at the engines on the left side to cause the fortress to careen leftward and miss Iselhorn (if your right engines are the only ones firing, you end up careening leftward). Then afterwards he took out the fortress with a close range shot from the main weapon. The shot was more effective because unlike the previous episode, the gravity wasn't raised (the ships needed to evacuate, so the gravity couldn't be raised), and somehow in a not really well-explained manner the increased gravity was causing the previous shots to be absorbed.

They've mentioned usable space before too. I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but it seems like the only two spaces the ships can go through between the empire and the alliance are the iselhorn corridor and Phezzal. The reason why is still a mystery, but I hope they explain it a bit better later on. We've still got nearly 80 episodes for them to explain it in, I wouldn't get too anxious ;)
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 17, 2010 3:36 AM

Sep 2008
Seabury said:
and somehow in a not really well-explained manner the increased gravity was causing the previous shots to be absorbed.

I dont really remember, but was it because the gravity made the liquide shield 'thicker' that it become stronger...?
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 13, 2010 1:35 PM

Jan 2010
that was expected from yang...but you could see he hated himself for doing this :(
so the FPA got the corridor...i kinda expected this

but boy what a massacre...the scene with the guy wich cut one of the soldiers' hand was especially disturbing

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 22, 2010 6:56 PM

May 2010
Inb4Reinhardfacepalms
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 16, 2010 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
cool julians picking some stuff up from yang.
Apr 6, 2011 8:36 AM

Feb 2010
Best battle I've seen in LoGH so far, I geniuely feel compelled to voice my thoughts. The confrontations of two super power, Thor Hammor and Vulture's Claw, was icing on the cake. Kempf's strategy was good but it relies heavily on two elements, timing and ignorance of his enemies, one which was rather uncontrollable. He's capable of being premise on timing, however, he fail to gauge the competency of his enemies. Needlessly to say, he took a risky venture and it backfires on him. It was still impressive because the Empire's fleet manage to stay reasonably cool-headed despite their search for glory of Iserlohn's conquest. It's not like he's so irrational and ignores his advisors or his subordinates disobeying orders and act recklessly on their own ( their did it once though, trying to intercept Yang's arrival ).

I like the mind games and assumptions made in this battle. Nice to see Julian stands out as a bright protege, Yang's was brilliant in his counter measures for the collisions too.
Aug 7, 2011 12:12 PM

Mar 2009
Heheh, can't wait to see Reinhard's reaction when he learns of this.

Great episode and all but I felt annoyed that among all veteran officers of Iserlohn, Julian was the one who saw through the enemy's tactics. I would have preffered that it was Murai, Merkatz or someone else. I don't think Julian should be able to decipher complicated grand scale combat situations as easily as this, despite the fact that Yang Wenli is his guardian.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 7, 2011 9:16 PM
Jun 2011
That was a crushing defeat. I'm surprised that Kempf wouldn't have been instructed to crash the Geiersburg into Iserlohn as his mission objective. Maybe that's Reinhard allowing his Admirals to come up with their own strategy, but it definitely didn't work in this situation.
Sep 19, 2011 7:18 PM
Jul 2010
Great ending to the best battle thus far. This is the first time we've seen each side with their share of strengths and weaknesses, as well as both sides lacking a top-level commander.

Kempf and Muller made a good effort, but they simultaneously underestimated and overestimated Yang's camp. In the beginning, when the reinforcements had yet to arrive, they were too wary of "Miracle Yang". The chance for quick victory passed. By the time reinforcements arrived for the Alliance, the Empire was overextending itself, assuming enemies would fall for every ploy.

If Muller had been allowed to crowd the Iserlon Corridor, I wonder how his 3000 ships would have fared against Yang's 5000. Kempf's restrictions may have saved Muller's life.
Oct 25, 2011 1:26 PM

Mar 2011
Loved hearing about the kamikaze tactic. Quite a rash plan.

Julian is a beast too now. Nice stuff.
Jan 9, 2012 8:11 AM

Jul 2009
Remember that both fortresses had a layer of fluid metal on them, and since gravity is responsible for generating tides it's no wonder that it got thicker = better armor. But with one or more engine blown up on Geiersburg, it must've gone crazy and possibly uncovered lower, not so endurable layers of armor.
orzel286Jan 9, 2012 8:14 AM
Feb 6, 2012 7:52 AM

Aug 2010
That was a nice conclusion to the battle. It was obvious that the FPA were going to win once Yang arrived to the scene, but I never expected it to end with that kind of massacre.

Very good episode. I'm looking forward to see how Reinhard responds to this.
Jul 5, 2012 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
Its slightly disconcerting how Yang and Reinhard's thoughts are so similar sometimes.
Nov 13, 2012 5:24 PM
Mar 2011
Most of my questions were answered here, but really, I can't remember any mention of how gravity affects the armor, and using that without mentioning it is stupid. Or maybe I am forgetful.

Anyway, I still don't get how couldn't the large Imperial break through the small Yang ships blocking their way. I know they were pursued, but would breaking through really have slowed them down too much? Up till now breakthroughs were done pretty quickly by small fleet beigh pursued through a large one.
TogopNov 14, 2012 12:16 PM
Nov 15, 2012 12:06 AM
Apr 2012
Togop said:
Most of my questions were answered here, but really, I can't remember any mention of how gravity affects the armor, and using that without mentioning it is stupid. Or maybe I am forgetful.

It's pretty simple really when you think about it. Much like the gravitational pull of the moon causes the tides on Earth, the high gravity and relative closeness of Geiersberg caused a high and low tide on Iserlohn's liquid metal shell - in this case the "high tide" submerging the Thor Hammer, and the "low tide" being severe enough to cause a bald spot on the rear of Iserlohn that the Imperial fleet could penetrate through. In addition, since Geiersberg also has a shell of liquid metal (though not to the extent of Iserlohn), the gravity of Iserlohn also strengthened Geiersburg's armor via a high tide of liquid metal.
Nov 16, 2012 10:28 AM
Mar 2011
fdsfgs said:
Togop said:

It's pretty simple really when you think about it. Much like the gravitational pull of the moon causes the tides on Earth, the high gravity and relative closeness of Geiersberg caused a high and low tide on Iserlohn's liquid metal shell - in this case the "high tide" submerging the Thor Hammer, and the "low tide" being severe enough to cause a bald spot on the rear of Iserlohn that the Imperial fleet could penetrate through. In addition, since Geiersberg also has a shell of liquid metal (though not to the extent of Iserlohn), the gravity of Iserlohn also strengthened Geiersburg's armor via a high tide of liquid metal.

Why should I apply real physics here when it doesn't seem to apply in so many other cases. For instance, when you blow up the drive of something it doesn't stop instantly in real life, but in LoGH it seems to (I'm refering to a later episode here).
Nov 17, 2012 12:02 PM

Sep 2008
I cant remember, but they don't actually explain the thing, but refer to it (the liquid armor thing) when they carry out the strategy. Been two years since I saw the anime, though
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 28, 2013 11:46 PM

Jun 2013
Wonderful battle! They all die lol
Jul 29, 2013 11:49 PM

Jul 2008
I'm getting slightly annoyed with these asspull predictions. These "I totally know what the enemy will do even without any cues at all" are getting out of hand. I don't mind them doing it once in a while, but it gotten to the point that Yang Wenli can read minds and the future. Now, Julian is doing it too. *facepalms*
Sep 16, 2013 6:07 AM

Nov 2009
Well that didn't go well at all. I can't believe they F'ed up that badly. Although if the intention of Reinhard's was to smash the two fortresses in to eachother I guess it would be easy for him to use the technology and do that with something else, equally large. He could just warp it in on Iserlohn.
May 5, 2014 2:31 AM

Apr 2008
That was way too one sided. You'd believe top admirals on the Empire's side would be more competent than this. Also, when Yang shot at one or two engines of Geiersberg, couldn't its crew just adjust the output of other engines to make up for that loss? And why didn't THEY shoot the Vulture's Claw into Iserlohn? Too many holes left in this episode just to make the Alliances win so much more perfect.
失われた翼を探して
Jul 2, 2014 7:49 PM

Apr 2012
Julian = Yang 2.0

Yang is just too stronk. Also watching those troops desperately evacuate at the expense of others was quite disturbing.

Also Yang and Reinhardt are way too like minded in terms of tactics. Actually they aren't exactly incompatible when it comes to political ideals either.

Aug 5, 2014 1:42 PM

Nov 2013
Best battle yet, all the commanders were genuinely listening to the ideas of their charges, no asspull victory, god this feels good. This series is exceptional.

Julian's ideas being put into practice make me nervous for what's in future for him.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 4, 2014 8:38 PM

Mar 2012
Dam, this is the first time the Empire's gotten wrecked that badly. Usually happens to the Alliance lol.
Dec 22, 2014 4:03 PM
Nov 2013
dareck said:
That was way too one sided. You'd believe top admirals on the Empire's side would be more competent than this. Also, when Yang shot at one or two engines of Geiersberg, couldn't its crew just adjust the output of other engines to make up for that loss? And why didn't THEY shoot the Vulture's Claw into Iserlohn? Too many holes left in this episode just to make the Alliances win so much more perfect.

So this!!!!

Honestly, they keep whining all the time MAINTAIN YOUR DISTANCE! So you don't get annihilated by Thors hammer. Yet all those ships could just flawlessly fly in close enough to blow up the engine without the Vulture's claw doing anything? They won't fire at Iserlohn? Even when it's firing at them!! The whole point with all the mutual destruction talks was that they were supposed to fire back too. I mean seriously, how the hell could the ships get so close? the only explanation I could think of was them being reluctant of blasting their own ships, but that's impossible with all of them being already in or around the base. Such a cheap way to make big explosions and you're all buying it cause pretty fireworks?

And that too, these weren't some arrogant nobles full of themselves that were sent. Just horrible, enjoyed it thus far but this upset me sooo much. If anyone can honestly fill the holes above, i'd appreciate it.

Vexper said:
Best battle yet, all the commanders were genuinely listening to the ideas of their charges, no asspull victory, god this feels good. This series is exceptional.

Julian's ideas being put into practice make me nervous for what's in future for him.

Are you high? They had a stalemate and superior force then suddenly a kid saw through their tactics and Yang asspulled idea to blow up the base out of nowhere without it fighting back at all. The series WAS exceptional is the correct phrase.
InquisitionerDec 22, 2014 4:07 PM
Dec 24, 2014 4:52 PM

Sep 2008
Its been ages since I saw this show so correct me if I'm wrong, but you're talking about Thors hammer not firing while they fly in and hit the engines right? if I remember correctly, there was a delay in the shots of thors hammer, and they took advantage of that delay.
Feb 22, 2015 4:18 PM

May 2012
Oh boy this episode was even more epic! Really amazing development, looking forward to see what's next!
Feb 26, 2015 5:03 PM

Aug 2014
That battle was awesome. It was kind of BS that they just stopped using Vulture's claw. They could have destroyed Wenli's fleet with it and they could have kept bashing Isherlohn.
May 24, 2015 10:30 PM

Aug 2014
I love that Julian is becoming a mini Yang. With him being exposed to real battles and among many more commanders we can only see his abilities improve even further.
May 27, 2015 4:54 AM
Nov 2014
Pretty epic episode, really liked how Yang and Reinhard both had the same thought to ram the fortress against each other lmao. I don't think Reinhard will like the outcome of this battle though, huge lost for the empire.
Jun 27, 2015 4:09 AM

Dec 2013
Julian FTW. Another great episode. Funny how Reinhard and Yang were both thinking of the same thing.
Nov 1, 2015 10:17 AM

Jan 2014
A great episode. One of the best so far.
I like how everyone had interesting and intelligent ideas.
Müller <3
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.