Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 17, 2011 2:15 AM

Oct 2010
This show was really lacking and I feel like they could have done so much more with the plot because it really wasnt that terrible of a story
It bored me to death sometimes and it wasnt really hitting me emotion wise like some other good romances have.
Matsuri was really the only thing that kept me watching
A very dissapointing 7/10 for me
May 22, 2011 11:09 PM

Jul 2010
well i guess its a happy ending....for aono, hopefully she will move on and be happy

Aug 26, 2011 8:47 AM

Jan 2011
I was expecting somewhat of a "happy" ending...you know when they all live happily together.

Overall i really like this anime, interesting turns here and there. Some parts have rooms for improvement. Looking forward to reading the manga.
Sep 23, 2011 12:27 AM
Feb 2009
This is one of those shows that makes me wonder if it could have been amazing in better hands. A story with interesting ideas but weak delivery. Not a bad anime but very underwhelming. I expect it will fade as quickly from my memory as Yorito did from Mana's.
Feb 14, 2012 5:54 AM

Oct 2010
Happy ending was out of the question when Aono went all Yandere. A fitting ending for a decent story.
huh?
Mar 30, 2012 12:29 AM

Mar 2012
Well at least Aono bacame friends again with Koroyi and Mana, that way she can live without being alone.. Good ending, but it was kinda sad..
Jun 8, 2012 4:22 PM

Jun 2010
There's a decent story in here. Pretending to be a straight romance than turning into a action-drama that's more about two girls than the male lead (and killing off the couple to leave the one girl the only survivor) is fairly interesting but the way it plays out is kind of boring. Spending half the series on romance strikes me more as wasting time than anything else since there's not even incremental moves toward what turns out to be the real story. Too many of the supposed highly-charged scenes are disposed of with cliche executions.

So what it really feels like is the first half of a romance series stitched to the second half of a supernatural action-drama. No work is done to bring the series to where it eventually climaxes which doesn't make a lot of sense in retrospect. Matsuri knew the "real" Yorito so why isn't she surprised to meet his double centuries later, bearing the same name? Maybe she just forgot what he looked like, but that makes for a pretty boring story.
FronzelJun 8, 2012 4:32 PM
Aug 1, 2012 8:20 AM

Jun 2011
You know this is a good anime when someone who abhors sad endings - especially the loss of memories among friends - actually watched through the end (despite being spoiled) and enjoyed it thoroughly. I still feel sorry for Mana, though. She kinda got left hanging after her last meeting with Yorito.

I'll admit I watched the first seven episodes over the period of a year. The show just got started way too slow. But once I got into the last four episodes, my rating jumped from a 6/10 to a 9/10. If the whole thing had been like the last four episodes, this would certainly be a 10/10 for me. As it is, I'm giving this a 9/10 for the slow start and plot holes.
GenomaxAug 1, 2012 8:26 AM
'I met many people. We were separated. And then reunited. This tune contains all those feelings.'
- Nanaka Yatsushiro, Myself;Yourself, Episode 13
Aug 14, 2012 10:47 AM

Mar 2012
This serie was fine so 6/10... fine.
Aug 25, 2012 4:02 PM

Jun 2012
Zel said:
Meh, didn't like it... it could have ended better... I didn't really want Aono to be the one to become a human, I wanted that girl who was with Takeshi to be the one.

Me too, same here. :\

My happiness is his unhappiness, and his happiness is my unhappiness.
-- Sankarea
Jan 2, 2013 2:01 AM
Jan 2013
Nequam said:
FTW with quote at bottom. Annoying brother-loving bitch should not have turned human. And how does turning human solve her loneliness problems + she gets some portion of Mutsurui`s personality blah.

Also about why they didn`t just sit next to window with angle rays away, I thought about the obvious promise part. But...obviously they can be hit with photons, so I guess ultraviolet radiation from the sun... But they could of just stood behind UV glass or something. Plothole there.

I also hated the magical everyone forgets X guy ending, except for the guy, the loli and her.

Plus if she only collapsed three months ago from overusing her powers... what the hell was she doing all this time before that. Going to school?

How are Yaka created in the first place besides Yaka turning dead people into Yaka. Why wasn't the protagonist turned into a Yaka.. I mean he died right, so that stupid Aono could of lived with him forever when he first died instead of being an art thou romeo juilet then going haywire trying to make a mummy version of him.

So what if he's a empty shell? Why can't you just live happy with Aono and Matsuri? Yeah you're made out of magical paper, but you don't have to be Yorito.

Agreed power to control paper is awesome, should've stayed demon. Turning her into a human gets rid of the person she hates Matsuri, and the mere shell of her dead brother allowing her to move on and live a normal life unlike the Bearded lolicon who can't have a happy end because she can never be his wife & she will outlive him, after he dies then she will be faced with loneliness forever.

As for looking at the sky, they could stand in the shade and look towards it, i think they did a couple times, but its not the same as standing out in the open sun under the bright sunny sky.

Don't remember why she collapsed(creating Yorito?) but she was probably wandering around like Matsuri.

Yorito died, but Matsuri couldn't find his body so she couldn't turn him into a Yaka and Aono died afterwards through suicide which is when Matsuri steeps in and saves her out of selfishness of not wanting to be alone forever, but that plan backfired and Aono ending up hating her for it. Aono being unable to live without Yorito created a fake "mummy" version of him. Don't know what you mean by RomeoxJuilet?

I would also have preffered the fake Yorito to end up living with both of them, but after he found out he was a fake there were very few options left to him accepting it and realizing the emptiness within or deny it until he goes insane. Made props to Sakai Yuji from SNS for not going insane. If Aono wasn't a crazy bitch they could've have lived together, but she wanted her fake all to herself and her fake wanted her to be happy and Matsuri wanted to right the wrong she created when she saved Aono.

As for the ending it was either Harem end(Yorito/Matsuri/Aono) or second best possible end(the bittersweet ending which did occur). The other possiblites were closed off, the loli didn't want to sacrifice another person, and Aono sure wasn't gonna sacrifice herself for Matsuri or the loli.

I'm with you guys, but i can't really see any good end to this story(cept for harem always in favor of harem) so all in all i think it ended as it should have. 8/10
Feb 17, 2013 4:17 PM

Jan 2013
A good ending. Much different then what i thought going in.

I have to give this an 8/10 because not once was I bored watching it.

This was just shy of being really good, for some reason the saddest scenes never quite made me cry.
Apr 13, 2013 6:13 PM

May 2012
Quite a nice ending, great action and a sweet conclusion to everything! In the end Aono san did manage to live a nice life and had the opportunity to meet old friends!

A nice ending to this anime, the anime it self sure changed a lot from where it started with different concepts all nicely put together in an action but still sweet filled anime!

I definitely had a great watch! 8/10
Apr 13, 2013 11:25 PM
Mar 2013
Here's my take on the ending.

I wish there was more romance in the story, extend it to 24 eps, and fill in some plot holes along the way to make things clearer. It was a 'great' anime, but it could have been so much more.

Now I actually talk about the ending....

I was hoping for a everybody lives, but of course that's not the case. Aono was a traumatized protagonist who felt guilty about Yorito's death. She wanted to die afterwards, but Matsuri revived her. So in the end, Yorito finds out that he's not real and Matsuri also feels guilty about what she's done and so they both decide to let Aono live her life, since she was the one who was suppose to live (according to the flashbacks). Like others have said, it's a bittersweet ending. Aono tried to relive the past, Matsuri wants to change everything back, and Yurito wants Aono to live happily. Not a everybody lives situation, but a everybody 'wins', situation. Matsuri's guilt for Aono's unhappiness is no longer there, Yurito wanted Aono to live a happy life and move on, and Aono was finally able to forget her past. I really do love and hate this ending at the same time. Although the plot is executed badly, I give this anime a 8/10.
Jul 14, 2013 6:17 PM
Jul 2012
I don't really like the ending much to be honest. There were too many parts that were gone to waste.

But before that, I agree with the comment above that there wasn't enough romance in the series. There were a few things they could have gone on to explain and explore to fill plot holes and help us bond with the characters. (I wasn't attached enough with the characters to feel sad that they're gone though that might be just me.)

Now as I was saying;

I didn't like the ending too much and feel it could have been handled better given what they have done so far with the rest of the series. It took his "although they look the same, no two skies are the same..." mentality and threw it out the window along with the scene where Matsuri was telling Yurito that he is who he is. That, in my opinion was a missed opportunity. It would have been better if he has to struggle on with his existence after knowing the truth and ultimately confront his sister about it. It definitely would have more character development that way, and would have put Yurito back into the spotlight as the main protagonist instead of having him feel almost like a side character in the last episode.

But that's just me ranting about how I wanted this series to end. And with all said and done, its not that bad an ending and the series is still worth a try with it.
Jan 30, 2014 11:24 PM
Jan 2014
At least they're happy now, somewhere in heaven. right?

idk if its just me, but i like endings where both the protagonists die so you get the kinda "they're happy in heaven" kinda idea at the end

i'd say 9/10
KibbleruJan 30, 2014 11:27 PM
Jul 4, 2014 2:32 PM
Feb 2014
This series was decent. I feel like another studio could have done a better job with delivering the punch at the end though. It feels as though they built us all up to that disappointment of an ending.

In the end, I probably won't remember Sola other than a show with a bitchy female heroine, an eternal lolicon (lol), and plot holes big enough to sink the show (which in my case, it did).

*Sigh* Hopefully I can find a series that sets us up and delivers well. Sadly, those are hard to come by nowadays.
Jul 13, 2014 9:50 PM

Sep 2013
Usually when an anime end with a tragic or bittersweet ending, I get a sinking feeling. I didnt feel that in this anime. There are still stuffs that arent properly explained.

What I know:
- Original Yorito is human and his sister is Aono.
- Aono is supposed to be sacrificed to Matsuri but sacrificing humans is just a ritual that doesnt really do anything.
- Aono commit suicide and was brought back to life by Matsuri as a yaka.
- Aono has a serious brother complex.

What I dont understand:
- If Matsuri is a yaka then she must've been once a human too. If she was once human, wouldnt that mean she already saw the blue sky before?
- Why did the people forget Yorito; his existence erased, its not like he's a creation of God, he's just a paper.
- What the fuck are yakas?

It was an enjoyable anime, I especially liked the slice of life aspect of the show. While not really the best in explaining stuff and the character and story needs more development, I think its an ok anime. 7/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 27, 2014 5:27 AM

Sep 2011
I felt like this show could have been much better, but I still enjoyed it, mainly thanks to Matsuri :) I'm giving it a 7/10.

I would have preferred 2 endings over this a lot more:
- Somehow Yorito can be turned back to human or Yaka (through sacrificing Aono) and he and Matsuri live together forever :P But I guess that's wishful thinking...
- Matsuri simply kills Aono (without sacrificing herself) and then Yorito dies as well. After that Matsuri obviously now wanting to live alone again sacrifices herself to turn Mayuko back to human. And if possible she could have turned back to her normal age, so she can be together with Takeshi :P And everyone is happy :D
Nov 26, 2014 9:33 PM

Dec 2013
Originally I would have given this series a 9 or 10, but because of that ending I had to bump it down to an 8. I mean, seriously? Aono gets the happy ending after being a psycho brocon bitch? I call Bullshit!

This was a beautiful series, and the story was told really well, but that ending really pissed me off. I hated Aono, she was a mad woman. Living centuries just to do an origami brother and live happily ever after, pushing others away for some scraps of paper, trying to kill the one person who saved her life and wanted to really be her friend because she got her own brother killed and obsessed over him for centuries? Yet she gets turned human and suddenly everything is okay and all fairy tale ending? That's a crap cop-out. Bittersweet, my ass. There was another option to end it, with the same bittersweetness without playing this cop-out crap for the "villain" of the series.

It was impossible to end without the characters dying, but they didn't have to go out the way they did. Instead of the "turning human" crap- Matsuri and Yorito could have killed Aono as the sun came up and the three of them lie down under the sun and die together. That would have been the ending this series needed, and would have been a true masterpiece.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Feb 16, 2015 9:11 PM
Sep 2014
Show started with annoying MC and i almost dropped it beacause of that. But, since im masochist i tortured myself those first few episodes. But, once the story started develop i started to like it more and more. I expected it will be romance type of anime but it seems i was wrong. Ending like this was expected once they revealed true form of Yorito, but, it was good. Im glad it ended how it is, neither happy nor sad end, right in the middle. But, i am glad Aono got to live. (she kinda reminded me to Yin from DTB)
Apr 14, 2015 4:41 AM

Apr 2015
For me, this Anime is a heavenly masterpiece. It's so underrated. I wasn't disappointed at the ending. It has a nicely executed ending. Very good soundtrack too.
Sep 4, 2015 3:10 AM

May 2014
Bittersweet
8/10
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Dec 30, 2015 3:16 PM
Mar 2012
no idea why it sat in ptw... maybe the sol or supernatural.
I did enjoy the calm very slow pacing SOL, just pleasant watching animu sky before sleep. Some romance was nice.
Yorito started as another passive mc copy, plus some jerk behavior esp coldness toward the ill sister, and toward Mana.
Later it makes sense, since Aono's a crazy brocon yandere who hadn't accepted Yorito's death.
Matsuri's interactions with Yorito was quite cute. Most comedy was well done, esp episode 4.5 and all scenes with Mayuko.
I really like the last episodes. I knew someone get's "sacrificed" since Mayuko foreshadowed it, but was very unpredictable how and who. Yorito developed, facing the truth, making a choice to open sister's eyes. Aono grew likable after 1yr timeskip, embodying the two personalities who died for her humanity, and apparently accepting of Yorito's death. Aono has great fashion sense.

Plot can be real slow, with unexplained small details. Their house disappeared, so was it Aono's paper house? It's huge so probably explains why she depleted her Yaka powers 4 months ago (when they moved to town). Why did Takeshi throw the sheath at Matsuri? How did he jump to the tower, impossible if he's not superhuman? Matsuri's fall made a giant splash, but she fell on the ground, not ocean. Yorito hears explosion afar, then LEAVES the bike & Mana, & runs for quite a distance. He should know biking is faster.
Aono controlled Yorito's actions to kill Matsuri, but when he pins her down, she couldn't order him. Guessing Aono had no Yaka power left.

Overall I think comedy & unusual characters are its best points. Sae is always funny. Kid characters aren't annoying, as the bratty Mayuko's treatment of Takeshi makes sense once it's known she's an adult & they're a couple, not father-daughter. Koyori's the most modest, mature & caring animu kid I've seen.
I like how they made "sora" enjoyable as a niche theme. End was beautifully symbolic, how the sky represents Yorito, Mana confessing to Sora, Aono's description of the sky & knight sky how Yorito connects everyone here, and Mana embodying Yorito's love of photographing skies.
gophercgDec 30, 2015 3:22 PM
Jan 23, 2016 1:40 PM
Jun 2014
SO now they corrected a problem that didn't really need correcting. And on top of that chose that vile, lying bitch to become human again. Well, that might be a bit harsh, but she was definitely not the one of the three who deserved to become human again.
Apr 11, 2018 10:42 PM

Aug 2014
Bittersweet ending indeed. But I dont get why Aono is okay with being alone now. Seems like she did a 180 after turning human. So, was it that being a Yaka made her delusional or something?
Oct 17, 2019 12:36 PM

Sep 2019
Even tho I wasn't enjoying this anime at first but later on it became good (after the plot twist when we realized that the protagonist is made by aono a imposter of her real brother). And the ending is quite acceptable ahh it was ok ending.

But

Why didn't they explained why takeshi have that katana where did he learned to use super human strength and skills? I was confused at that part because I was interested in him more then other characters so it is bugging my mind to Know these things.

I would give this 5/10 ok looking point.
Oct 17, 2019 12:38 PM

Sep 2019
Ankylar said:
Bittersweet ending indeed. But I dont get why Aono is okay with being alone now. Seems like she did a 180 after turning human. So, was it that being a Yaka made her delusional or something?
they really didn't explain a lot. It was a shame that we won't gonna know anymore.
Jan 21, 2020 11:36 PM
Jan 2020
I know this is pretty old but to all of you who think aono is the villain, read the manga or watch series again. Aono was wronged when all she wanted to do was die by her brother's side. Then she brought him back to life not wanting to be alone which is the same thing matsuri did with aono. Matsuri is by far my favorite character but all aono did is protect what she cherished most. Who wouldn't have done the same if given the power to somehow resurrect a loved 1? I would for my sis. And how did aono get a happy ending? She had to live without her brother and her best friend from youth after they both died. Aono was the real victim, after matsuri becoming the 1st yaka in the 1st place. I love matsuri and there were somethings about aono I didn't like but I wish this could've ended different. Or at least had a continuation to the series where both matsuri as well as yorito returned somehow. I mean where did the tomato juice come from at the end? It could've kept going. The person that should've been hated was yorito for being so weak and naive. The 3 of them could've lived happy together but he was 2 weak
Nov 3, 2020 2:46 PM
Apr 2020
Neutral ending.. I guess I'll give it 8/10.
Jun 30, 2021 1:40 PM

Oct 2010
sad ending but we need those from time to time, I respect that the story was consistent from the moment that Matsuri told us that the sword needs a yaka's blood to revive a yaka and the first stabbed yaka will die. It happened exactly like that, Matsuri died and Yorito faded away.
I also liked the fact that Yorito promised Matsuri that he'll take her into to open sky but that promise was never fulfilled, we got out Aono ending, she was a decent girl, bit too troubled but the story was ok with her.
7/10 overall, I loved the first episodes but I kinda wanted a simple romance between Matsuri and Yorito.
Jun 3, 2022 9:19 AM

Nov 2012
Man, got this in my list but cant remember anything about it, gotta rewatch it soon!

My Candies:

Dec 18, 2023 4:38 PM
Dec 2021
Amazing Riemann Stieltjes anime, Would love another season of it.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » sola Episode 6 Discussion

zanmato666 - May 14, 2007

39 by Saku33 »»
Apr 10, 10:49 AM

Poll: » sola Episode 8 Discussion

Faust721 - May 27, 2007

42 by Killerkat198 »»
May 15, 2023 2:10 PM

» Why is this series so underrated

SakurasouBusters - Oct 18, 2013

12 by Quintessence »»
Feb 7, 2023 9:22 AM

Poll: » sola Episode 2 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Apr 15, 2007

45 by Auliaramadhana12 »»
Oct 16, 2021 12:33 PM

Poll: » sola Episode 10 Discussion

Sukotsutsu - Jun 11, 2007

40 by Rob7 »»
Jan 12, 2021 9:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.