Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 1, 2007 4:10 AM

Apr 2007
Episode 13 didn't disappoint for those who saw the preview at the end of 12. Because of what Chagum did, and Balsa's fighting, a former opponent of Balsa recognized her, and challenged her to a duel, in order to save his pride.

By threatening to kill the first person to cross the city gates every morning, he forces Balsa to meet him at the gates for the duel. After defeating him, Balsa kinda goes berserk, and runs off, because she thinks she killed him (though she did not). A little bit of a cliffhanger there.

Another great fight, though too short in my opinion.
Jul 5, 2007 5:58 PM

Jan 2007
Great episode. The fight, though short, was awesome. It was cool to see Balsa all riled up like that. It wasn't as epic as ep3 but i'll take what i can get. Next episode seemded interesting, looking forward to it.
Jul 5, 2007 8:23 PM

May 2007
I really enjoyed the fight between Balsa and Kalbo. The part where they jump off the cliff was cool. Balsa back flips off while Kalbo jumps after her.

I thought that Kalbo's tactics were cowardly at first, but then it's mentioned that Balsa did those same things in the pass. Damn tactics...

Did anyone notice Kalbo in episode 12? I made the comment that one of spectators might suspicious of Balsa in the episode 12 discussion thread. Not quite right, but still a heck of a guess.

There wasn't enough closure for this episode. Balsa is till mad, which left me worried for her. It's good that she didn't kill Kalbo, instead completely breaking his psyche. Poor guy. He trained for so long to defeat her only to lost his ability to rationalize.

Anyway, as Faust says, next episode looks interesting. We get to see the Shaman again and hopefully we'll see how Balsa cools off, with or without the teacher's help.
mild_evenJul 5, 2007 9:13 PM
Jul 5, 2007 8:49 PM

Apr 2007
I loved this episode. Balsa can be a scary opponent when she's angry enough. I thought she had broken her promise to not kill when she slashed at Kalbo. I hope she doesn't slash at that young boy who was trying to catch up to her though. She still looked pissed.

I wonder if leaving Kalbo alive is wise though. Will he turn around and rat on Balsa/Chagum now that he's been thorougly defeated? Or will he just disappear since his pride has been shattered? I'm hoping it's the latter since the last thing they need are more of the emperor's elite guards on their tail again.

I can't wait for the next episode. It looks like it'll be an interesting adventure for the shaman.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jul 6, 2007 3:30 AM

Apr 2007
i love how detailed this anime is, the fight were abit short for my taste too, and its kinda scary imagining Balsa has that dark side. "RAWR IMA TIGER" @@
Jul 6, 2007 5:46 AM

Oct 2006
Like Faust said this wasn't as "epic" as the first episode but it sure was great.
Maybe the saying doesn't literally apply here but... "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"... Getting on Balsa's wrong side is not a wise idea...

There's one thing I didn't get honestly... When she defeated Kalbo I was 100% sure she had cut him down... I mean, there was a dark colored area that gave me the "blood" idea.
So when he gets up without a scratch I was pretty surprised... Was it some kind of mysticism...? or did she ripped his cloths only... I dunno..

Either way, next episode looks promising. Can't wait to see Torogai in action again :)
KayrhandrosJul 6, 2007 8:38 AM
Jul 6, 2007 8:09 AM

May 2007
Kayrhandros said:
There's one thing I didn't get honestly... When she defeated Kalbo I was 100% sure she had cut him down... I mean, there was a dark colored area that gave me the "blood" idea.

I'm guessing it was more for "effects" like when Balsa appeared to be a tiger.
Jul 6, 2007 8:40 AM

Oct 2006
mild_even said:
Kayrhandros said:

yeah I guess... but it still makes me wonder... since Balsa is such an experienced fighter she should have known that she hadn't killed him. But then again, maybe she was to pissed to notice... heh.
Jul 6, 2007 4:04 PM

Jun 2007
Kayrhandros said:
mild_even said:
Kayrhandros said:

yeah I guess... but it still makes me wonder... since Balsa is such an experienced fighter she should have known that she hadn't killed him. But then again, maybe she was to pissed to notice... heh.

Yep anger clouds the mine and boy was she ANGRY!

Aug 4, 2007 1:17 PM

Apr 2007
great ep!
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Mar 7, 2008 10:58 PM

Oct 2007
The old smithy made the ultimate sword after all... one that can sever fate, but does not kill...
Jan 12, 2009 3:15 AM

Jul 2008
That's very much more like it, the fight was so fluid and emotional. And Kalbo was shown just how insignificant he is.
Feb 7, 2009 2:25 AM

Jul 2008
God damn, I'm trying to decide not to piss off more, Balsa or Motoko from Ghost in the Shell SAC.
Apr 7, 2009 11:24 AM

Feb 2009
Aw man she's so scary when she's mad, someone going to that woman bad side is signing your death warrant!
Jun 14, 2009 11:52 PM

Nov 2007
Intense action scenes, loved how they depicted her as a tiger in some of them.
Jul 27, 2009 2:48 PM

Jun 2008
Great episode.
So that's the ultimate sword, heh.
Sep 2, 2009 6:12 PM

May 2008
That was a BRILLIANT cliffhanger. The most original I remember seeing.
Sep 16, 2009 12:42 PM

Jul 2009
This show has been filled with very original ideas - it's fantastic! Loved the scene of Balsa as a tiger!

And was it just me, or did the stone-shooter look a bit like Ozzy Osbourne?
Oct 14, 2009 1:56 AM

Jul 2009
great episode

especially the fighting althought it was short it was amazing
Dec 5, 2009 9:26 PM

Jan 2009
Very good episode, almost liked the lead up to the fight better than the fight itself.
Mar 28, 2010 8:58 PM

Sep 2008
ah... it took a while to read through all those replies and I was surprised at how no one picked up on the fact that this battle tied back into episode 8 and the swordsmith's dream until FINALLY Ralonzo pops in to say something about it.

Balsa definitely cut that guy down. But whether its a bit of magic (it could be - this series certainly does have it's fair share of spells and illusions) or something else I don't know.

The point is that like Kenshin with his sakabato, Balsa doesn't want to use her weapon to kill... and the smith said that with someone like that he could forge a weapon to sever the bonds of fate. Surely you noticed that when he popped back up his hatred was gone. He couldn't even remember Balsa much less want to continue the fight.

I really don't want to compare this anime to other series, but this entire episode reminded me of Rurouni Kenshin and his battle with the Broom-headed sword collector. Pushed to the edge of breaking their vow not to kill or allowing an innocent to be cut down, both Balsa and Kenshin make that move to kill - and both nearly return to their killer pasts until someone points out the fact that their weapon prevented any actual deaths.

I loved it... but it has kind of been done before. At least the fighting and art in SnM is much more realistic and beautiful than RK.

Also have to mention that I LOVE the music for this series. I wind up whistling the calmer songs throughout the day, but the battle music is also incredible.

One last thing - the packdriver kept ticking me off. Balsa goes out of her way to keep these people safe and all he can think is "so what? We never asked her to." - what a jerk. At least the woman has more sense and is actually grateful...
Jun 3, 2010 12:40 AM
Feb 2008
Fionartan said:
ah... it took a while to read through all those replies and I was surprised at how no one picked up on the fact that this battle tied back into episode 8 and the swordsmith's dream until FINALLY Ralonzo pops in to say something about it.

Balsa definitely cut that guy down. But whether its a bit of magic (it could be - this series certainly does have it's fair share of spells and illusions) or something else I don't know.

The point is that like Kenshin with his sakabato, Balsa doesn't want to use her weapon to kill... and the smith said that with someone like that he could forge a weapon to sever the bonds of fate. Surely you noticed that when he popped back up his hatred was gone. He couldn't even remember Balsa much less want to continue the fight.

I really don't want to compare this anime to other series, but this entire episode reminded me of Rurouni Kenshin and his battle with the Broom-headed sword collector. Pushed to the edge of breaking their vow not to kill or allowing an innocent to be cut down, both Balsa and Kenshin make that move to kill - and both nearly return to their killer pasts until someone points out the fact that their weapon prevented any actual deaths.

I loved it... but it has kind of been done before. At least the fighting and art in SnM is much more realistic and beautiful than RK.

Also have to mention that I LOVE the music for this series. I wind up whistling the calmer songs throughout the day, but the battle music is also incredible.

One last thing - the packdriver kept ticking me off. Balsa goes out of her way to keep these people safe and all he can think is "so what? We never asked her to." - what a jerk. At least the woman has more sense and is actually grateful...

Hmm I didn't think about the whole weapon thing. It does make sense considering Balsa seemed to not realize the guy was still alive and a trained warrior like that would've known. One can argue that the lack of sleep, anger and stress clouded her judgement.

But again great point. I honestly kinda forgot about that episode. It was probably the 2nd weakest one in my opinion.

As for the packdriver can you blame him? This weird woman with a spear follows you around and sorta gets you involved in some personal grudge. I'm sure the resentment he felt was a natural reaction for most people. The teacher was someone who was obviously more educated and caring as well as more experienced so she could be a bit more understanding then the young guy who's just trying to survive.

Definitely liked the art. Pretty solid animation and some intense looking facial expressions. I enjoyed the whole rock shooting to keep her awake and the damage that was caused to the tree through the night. This show does well with the whole attention to detail thing.

very intense episode!
Aug 2, 2010 5:49 PM

Jun 2009
Handicap match, that kid irritates the horse tamer.

I didn't appreciate Kenshin series, but I remember the one thing about the sword which a little resemble Balsa's spear, "the sword had killed thousands of lives" and he want to atone for his sin, kinda like Balsa - fighting without killing anyone.
ZinvyAug 2, 2010 5:53 PM
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 4, 2010 6:22 PM

Dec 2009
A nice fight for this episode, and it was interesting to see how far Balsa would actually go to protect Chagum. Even if it broke her promise.

It was interesting to see that in a way the guy actually did die; forgetting her name and what she had done.

Aug 26, 2010 2:28 PM

Sep 2008
Ralonzo said:
The old smithy made the ultimate sword after all... one that can sever fate, but does not kill...

Ahh... I didn't think of that, but you're probably exactly right! :D First time seeing her back in action with her spear, so we haven't seen that "ultimate weapon" being used until now... and it is indeed awesome!

Spectacular animation throughout the fighting scene (and in general of course). The tiger thing freaked me out for a second, haha (I'm so lame, I know :P ).

This show just keeps getting better and better. Love it! The cliffhanger was horrible! (<-- And by that, I mean it was an outstanding one, since it made me want to watch the next episode ASAP.)
Sep 1, 2010 11:43 PM

May 2010
How on earth can he not remember her name?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 1, 2010 8:38 AM

Oct 2010
I can add nothing more. I like hearing Balsa finally scream, sounds even more intense because she usually goes by calamity and silence. And the coloring of the clouds! The music! The way the camera kind off dramatically shake after the final blow! The original cliffhanger! Quality, there is always. Quality.

Yep, and it was back to the old smithy again.
Dec 13, 2010 2:56 PM

Aug 2008
Don't really care for swearing not to kill anyone ever. Some people just need to have a bad case of dead, sparing everyone is just a way to allow evil to go unchecked. Now if Balsa wants to kill as little as possible than I can agree with that. But no one ever? Bleh. Honestly I'd like to see her adjust her vow to my suggestion even though I'm sure i will never happen. This man threatened to kill passerby after all but I'm sure letting him go (who by the way could rat her and the prince out to the Emperor) is the correct thing o do right? Honestly...

I did love the fight though, it was an amazing experience and a nice change from the dialogue episodes we've had lately. I don't mind the talking if its interesting but we need SOME action as well and I'm glad some has now appeared.
Dec 23, 2010 8:32 AM

Aug 2009
This episode really took this show from ok to awesome for me!
Jan 4, 2011 6:44 AM

Oct 2009
Loved this episode! Balsa went berserk and i loved it! Though she was pretty scary :S
Loved how they presented Balsa as a Tiger and the camera angles, background scenery, music, everything was just beautiful!
Mar 7, 2012 12:04 PM

Aug 2010
Powerful episode.

That was great.
Apr 18, 2012 1:47 AM
Aug 2010
Baww don't kill people!!!

HE WAS GOING TO FUCKING MURDER HER WHAT DO YOU WANT HER TO DO?

Aug 17, 2012 9:24 PM

Jul 2011
Balsa! :D
I initially thought she somehow wiped his memory or something.

Her voice still irks me a bit. I still find it a tad bit low. :(

Oh and I knew that annoying voice was familiar - Usopp!

Edit: 2016. Yeah, I definitely missed the point about the smithy when I first watched this. I like the imagery and emotion shown in this episode - a rare sight coming from Balsa. However, Kalbo is a bit too one dimensional for me, feels like a filler character (he's anime original I believe, but still).
MirorinJan 22, 2016 10:19 PM
Jun 4, 2013 3:58 PM

Jun 2012
Holy crap that battle was so intense
Jun 28, 2013 3:12 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Balsa sure was pissed. I liked how we saw what the teacher saw, a tiger fighting against the man. I think it was pretty obvious that the man wasn't cut down...at least I didn't see any blood? The dark part where the spear struck down I think was meant to be the shadows of the his torn shirt, despite the fact that shadows wouldn't be that dark in that situation. The audience is supposed to be misled that she did kill him, but paying attention to details in that 1 or 2 seconds, you could tell he didn't die. He fell down because he was too shocked.
Aug 20, 2013 4:40 PM

Jan 2012
Woah, that really was an awesome episode!! The teacher bringing up the whole tiger talk was interesting, and seeing as to how it could've related to Balsa (if she hadn't have had the people she has around her) it really was nice to hear.
Her fight with Kulba was epic, Seeing Bulsa so riled up was a first.
tingy said:
Balsa sure was pissed. I liked how we saw what the teacher saw, a tiger fighting against the man. I think it was pretty obvious that the man wasn't cut down...at least I didn't see any blood? The dark part where the spear struck down I think was meant to be the shadows of the his torn shirt, despite the fact that shadows wouldn't be that dark in that situation. The audience is supposed to be misled that she did kill him, but paying attention to details in that 1 or 2 seconds, you could tell he didn't die. He fell down because he was too shocked.

Tbh, i was thinking more that her striking him down was some kind of metaphorical reference to how she destroyed this mans 'false ego' that he had attained ever since Balsa and him crossed paths??
Meh, I'm sure there was some deeper meaning, though i guess your right, since even Balsa seems to think that he 'died'
Though if Balsa did, why she wouldn't be as harsh as to leave a dead body? She might know but is just pissed at the dude for not letting her sleep...
Nov 14, 2013 9:32 PM

Dec 2012
Fionartan said:

I feel that was the true meaning to take from the fight. That Balsa's spear no longer takes lives, but severs the will to fight.

Great episode, the fight was hella intense and I loved the transition of Balsa emerging from the bamboo as a tiger. I don't mind these side stories and I can't really remember when the main story picks up again in full force, but I hope the remaining detours remain as strong as this.
Feb 15, 2014 6:45 PM

Nov 2009
It almost seems like she is Kenshin at this point, and should she kill again she would turn back in to someone who kills left and right . . . I got the same feeling aside from the fact that when Kenshin thought he killed someone he was a lot . . . calmer, and had yellow eyes all of a sudden. Anyways, I'm kind of hoping the plot picks up again, since this has the potential to be a 9 unless it gets swamped down with fillers. (Not that I hate the fillers)
May 19, 2014 12:20 AM

Jun 2013
Since I'm in a country where basketball is more prominent, and we have a football team which is kind of.. nothing. Our best player is Stephan Shrock. I think he's a sub at Eintracht Frankfurt, so yeah, nothing too special.

I support Netherlands right now as my dad has lived there for some time and I have seen a match of them (against Austria at Eindhoven last 2011)
Jan 15, 2015 12:01 AM

Jan 2013
Amazing episode, a bet Balsa knew she handed killed him.
Mar 17, 2015 12:57 AM

Nov 2013
Well speak of the devil we get some action!

Who the hell is that Karbo guy anyways? I can't remember where I saw him for the life of me.

Whoa Balsa was so fucking savage this episode!

Finally another spear fight! Only took 10 episodes for it to happen for fuck's sake!

Wow she traumatized that man. Jesus Christ.

Balsa calling herself a tiger ruined the seriousness. I know they were trying to go for the metaphor with her and the tiger but I feel like this episode would have been better with all the tiger metaphors.

Great episode anyways.

8.5/10 Doesn't live up to the epicness that was episode 3 but it was still really good aside from some flaws.
FunnyRatmanMar 17, 2015 1:06 AM

Sep 24, 2015 5:08 PM

Mar 2012
I love how fluid the fights are and the scene were Balsa was shown as a tiger was amazing. Also, her refusing to kill her opponents reminds me of Kenshin.

Confucius said:
How on earth can he not remember her name?

Losing to her twice pretty much caused him to have a mental breakdown. Something was already off about him due to how obsessed he was at getting revenge on Balsa, losing to her and not getting killed yet again was the final shove to push him over the edge.
Dec 19, 2015 6:08 PM

Jun 2011
I kind of have mixed feelings about this episode. Or rather, I don't know what I think about it, haha. The fight was really intense though.
Aug 3, 2016 9:52 AM

Jul 2010
That was GREAT episode!
Nov 5, 2016 3:16 AM
Aug 2012
Great episode! Balsa's expressions and overwhelming will and power absorbed me, but I guess I have an idea why she didn't kill him: because the has a new weapon and the true blade cuts not the body but your enemy's soul. That was exactly what she did - he is no longer that person that he was before- he has lost his soul and sanity
Nov 27, 2016 5:16 AM
May 2012
Wh-What the hell just happened -.-
Kalbo is bald in my language, though haha.
Apr 4, 2017 9:22 AM

Sep 2016
damn the last few episodes were amazing. they really hit their stride with those episodic stories, i was pretty bored from lik ep 5 to 10 with this anime.
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

May 7, 2017 9:18 AM

Oct 2012
But.. how? I thought she cut him down

That guy just reap what he sow
She spared his life, but he's too busy with his "pride"
I guess he'll never recover ever again
"Signature removed"
Aug 18, 2017 1:02 PM
Nov 2010
"I vowed to save the same number of lives as I'd taken. But by the time I fought you, I'd come to realize that all lives are equal. That's why... I got sick and tired of killing insignificant men like you every time I saved someone."

I thought that her vow was to be save eight people by being their bodyguard, the same number that Jiguro killed to save her. She also killed more people at the start, from what I remember Tanda saying, so the first sentence kind of confused me. From what I hear, it's not a translation mistake, so what she said doesn't quite make sense to me. Maybe it'll be clearer once more is shown about her past.

And yeah, the tiger stuff was a bit overdone and I hope Balsa doesn't have some amnesia-inducing powers, but that the old enemy guy just realized that he was never in her sight and decided not to have anything to do with her anymore.
Sep 25, 2018 3:50 PM

Sep 2011
Great narrative, I loved it! That teacher trying to understand Balsa told her the fable of the warrior that became a tiger, and it left such a strong impression on her that by the end, when she saw herself forced to kill again, she saw herself was a tiger too.

Now, I don't know if she unconsciously held back, and didn't kill him by mistake, but I think this is what happened, since there was no other way at hand she steeled her resolve. But in one way or another, she killed that warrior, he was devastated after being called insignificant, and being defeated, so she bought some time, but since it seems some big truth is about to come to light, things are bound to get rowdy again.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 15 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 24, 2007

46 by WIIXAnd »»
Feb 26, 2:35 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 12 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jun 30, 2007

45 by Safrichh »»
Feb 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mild_even - Jun 18, 2007

55 by Safrichh »»
Jan 6, 7:54 PM

» Why does balsa leave for kambal in the end (her hometown)

Kitsune_089 - Dec 13, 2023

9 by KitsuFrost »»
Jan 5, 10:11 AM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mild_even - Jun 17, 2007

66 by Safrichh »»
Nov 28, 2023 8:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.