53.7%
No, not really
9.2%
ima gangster yo we not use it
5.3%
lol what?
5.7%
283 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 8, 2008 11:55 AM

Oct 2007
Kuyukly said:
windy said:
Uh, yeah. I am THE grammar nazi. As tr1ggers4d and CanadaAotS know.

I'm probably better at it than windy, even if I don't flaunt my English mastery.

One of my names around the net is Mr. Spellcheck. There is no one better to turn to when you need help with spelling or grammar than me, and I'm damn proud of that fact.

Because I managed to get the last post on the page...DX
You can find me on IRC.
May 8, 2008 12:01 PM

May 2007
^^ [­i][­/­i] goes around "the". Learn to put pressure on the correct word(s).
Sayalol said:
Chavez said:
Oh, this is my find btw:

It's a banner for an online browser based game.

xD..Constomizable..That's amzing
Customizable
May 8, 2008 12:02 PM

Apr 2008
am kool yo.

May 8, 2008 12:17 PM
Nov 2007
^ he's not a liar
May 8, 2008 12:38 PM

Apr 2008
ScrumYummy said:
I would like to think that I do. :D (<----grammatically incorrect sentence)

(In other words: I know how to use proper grammar, I know a lot about the use and rules of English. Do I adhere to these rules all the time? Hell no. XD)

this! haha!
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter!
May 8, 2008 12:51 PM

Mar 2008
I guess that I could call myself a grammar freak, even though I often make mistakes :l.

I usually let small mistakes slip, but it REALLY bugs when people mix up "then" with "than" , "their" with "there" (or even worse; "theyre").
Also, having played WoW in an Italian guild for almost 2 years, I'm amazed they all do the same mistakes, writing out words as "Post here your screenshots" rather than "Post your screenshots here".

I'm also generally annoyed by lazy people who uses numbers instead of letters and shorten down words to one single letter.
May 8, 2008 1:29 PM

Oct 2007
Kirimao said:
^^ [­i][­/­i] goes around "the". Learn to put pressure on the correct word(s).

Whoa whoa whoa, was that to me or someone else? The pressure can be put on either "the" or "last post" based on how I want to express it. What I typed was quite correct.
You can find me on IRC.
May 8, 2008 2:49 PM

Mar 2008
To the best of my ability. Lol. I find that if I use proper grammar when it doesn't matter then I'm less likely to make mistakes when it does matter.
May 8, 2008 3:36 PM

Mar 2008
I completely hate when someone uses incorrect grammar, or tries to use more difficult punctuation marks such as the colon and dash. I also find it annoying when people use abbreviated words such as "can't" or "won't"; just spell out both of the words please. I will admit to using incorrect grammar from time to time, but I hate myself afterwards and wish I had paid more attention when I used it.
May 8, 2008 3:45 PM

Oct 2007
Rebel160 said:
I also find it annoying when people use abbreviated words such as "can't" or "won't"; just spell out both of the words please.

What's wrong with using contractions?
You can find me on IRC.
May 8, 2008 3:50 PM

Apr 2007
Gooder than most.
May 8, 2008 3:51 PM

Apr 2008
Yeah, I find it more convenient to write it that way then without them. It's easy to understand and it most certainly doesn't break any grammar rules.
May 8, 2008 3:55 PM

Nov 2007
Rebel160 said:
I completely hate when someone uses incorrect grammar, or tries to use more difficult punctuation marks such as the colon and dash. I also find it annoying when people use abbreviated words such as "can't" or "won't"; just spell out both of the words please. I will admit to using incorrect grammar from time to time, but I hate myself afterwards and wish I had paid more attention when I used it.

Contractions are a natural part of the English language. They aren't grammatically incorrect, so you're just being conceited if you think they are... or are simply idiotic if they aggravate you for no apparent reason.
May 8, 2008 4:04 PM

Feb 2008
Rebel160 said:

By the way, you used the complicated punctuation semi-colan...shame on you for being a hypocrite.
May 8, 2008 4:14 PM

Feb 2007
Feels too weird when I don't use contractions. But I ain't going to use ain't.

On a totally unrelated note, Anayu, is your avatar supposed to say Anaya?
May 8, 2008 4:16 PM

Feb 2008
Asrialys said:
Feels too weird when I don't use contractions. But I ain't going to use ain't.

On a totally unrelated note, Anayu, is your avatar supposed to say Anaya?

No, I realized just yesterday that I messed up and I'll be fixing it tonight...didn't have time to fix it last night =(
May 8, 2008 4:36 PM

Mar 2008
I try my best to use proper grammar, but no one is perfect. I find using Internet shorthand less often minimizes stupid mistakes at work and school.

While not a Grammar Nazi, I will get irritated when I see co-workers make obvious mistakes.
Alliance: In international politics, the union of two thieves who have their hands so deeply inserted in each other's pocket that they cannot separately plunder a third.
-Ambrose Bierce
May 8, 2008 9:28 PM

Dec 2007
I use decent grammar when i feel like it. I more of a spelling freak than grammar freak.
May 8, 2008 9:55 PM

Sep 2007
i cnanot spaek the english

May 9, 2008 5:12 AM
May 2008
It always must be perfect. I didn't get an A in English class all the time for nothing. But sometimes. especially in spam threads, I use 133t speak. xD
May 9, 2008 6:04 AM

Mar 2008
mu-chan said:
It always must be perfect. I didn't get an A in English class all the time for nothing. But sometimes. especially in spam threads, I use 133t speak. xD

L3375P34|< 15 Ph0R L4/\/\3R5, 5R5L'/
May 9, 2008 6:06 AM

Sep 2007
UserZero said:
ima gangster yo we not use it

I believe that's spelled gangsta. Oh... I see. Never mind then.

This poll doesn't surprise me. Most of the posts I've seen around here seem to do well using proper grammar. I like good grammar, but if it's readable, it's acceptable imo.

Yeah, if it's understandable and readable, it is ok, even though they mix up words like "their" "there" "they're" and such. But somehow I encounter people who uses non-understandable grammar.

Thea said:
I guess that I could call myself a grammar freak, even though I often make mistakes :l.

I usually let small mistakes slip, but it REALLY bugs when people mix up "then" with "than" , "their" with "there" (or even worse; "theyre").
Also, having played WoW in an Italian guild for almost 2 years, I'm amazed they all do the same mistakes, writing out words as "Post here your screenshots" rather than "Post your screenshots here".

I'm also generally annoyed by lazy people who uses numbers instead of letters and shorten down words to one single letter.

Yeah, I agree with you, totally! I can relate to the things you've said... ^^
May 9, 2008 8:55 AM

Feb 2008
Thea said:

Well, I understand wherer your going. I correct people who use "then" instead of "than" etc...but it's not really a "big" mistake, exspecialy to someone that's primary language is not English. Though, I was in an Aussie guild for alot of my time in WoW(I'm in a US now..xD)) and most of them spoke rather well. They did the whole "r u fine?" thing, which annoyed me to know end, but that's basic internet stuff that alot of people do, so I let it go...xD

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
May 9, 2008 1:08 PM

May 2008
Seriously,i need to practice on "How to use proper grammer".I have to even learn new words and stuff.

Love is filled with mystery
May 9, 2008 1:43 PM

May 2008
I find that I have to correct people who use poor grammar. Though I only do it to people if their first language is English, unless, of course it is constructive - not just "laaaaaaaawlz, u used the wrong 'there/their/they're', nub!".
May 9, 2008 2:56 PM

Mar 2008
To Kuyukly and Asako.
I know that they are part of the English language, but I find it bothersome when they are used in papers. Personal papers and notes is fine, but in formal or professional documents, it seems out of place and undermines the paper. I just try and stay away from them. Nothing is physically wrong with using them (and nothing in my post led to saying that they are grammatically incorrect), I just refrain from using them.

To Anayu.
I had stated "tries to use" in the context. I way inferring that they would try and use one, but fail miserably and just make it look like they are clueless to the English language and its principals.
May 9, 2008 4:47 PM

Oct 2007
Rebel160 said:
To Kuyukly and Asako.
I know that they are part of the English language, but I find it bothersome when they are used in papers. Personal papers and notes is fine, but in formal or professional documents, it seems out of place and undermines the paper. I just try and stay away from them. Nothing is physically wrong with using them (and nothing in my post led to saying that they are grammatically incorrect), I just refrain from using them.

...See, you didn't specify that you only hated them in professional works. By not specifying, you left us with the impression that you thought they were incorrect in all cases. :/
You can find me on IRC.
May 9, 2008 5:00 PM

Nov 2007
Rebel160 said:
To Kuyukly and Asako.
I just refrain from using them.

Not very well.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=23438&show=80#msg1003884 said:

<snip>
Wouldn't the...
<snip>
...doesn't...

It's actually rather difficult to not use them, given we're generally taught to use them in school, and they're commonplace throughout the entire language. I went about not using them on a forum a few years back, and it took a concentrated effort. It made my posts stand out though; people would often note I sounded "cold" or "too proper" which amused me greatly.
May 9, 2008 5:14 PM

Feb 2007
lol The NeoPets guild filters, for some inexplicable reason, block apostrophes and quotation marks. Fortunately, this only happens once in a while now (when it happened last year, it happened 100% of the time). So when a post does get blocked, I have to go through the whole message and turn each contraction into its full word.
May 9, 2008 5:33 PM

Feb 2008
In-game I need to be able to type fast, so I only use abbreviated words.
But when I see people mixing up words like there/their/they're it makes me wanna kick them in the face >.<

May 9, 2008 5:53 PM

Sep 2007
No i don't use good grammar. If you don't like it then learn how to use context clues.
May 9, 2008 5:55 PM

May 2008
Im not a freak but I do like to write proper grammar :)

-------------------
nyhusern.net
May 9, 2008 6:09 PM

Sep 2007
I make a few mistakes here and there, but I do try to type in proper grammar.
May 9, 2008 6:46 PM
Aug 2007
I like to think I do. But it really bugs me when people don't...
May 9, 2008 7:03 PM

Mar 2008
I try to use correct grammar, thus I went with the second choice listed.
I used to correct people every once in a while...I stopped eventually after people were getting annoyed by it. But I'll still correct people whenever I think they're being annoying.

As for people who don't use correct or at least semi-correct grammar, I usually think they are probably adolescent children and I try to empathize to some extent....

May 9, 2008 7:16 PM

Oct 2007
I'm so bad at grammar -_-
I try my very best at grammar.
@ MAL Claim an Anime Character v.2
May 9, 2008 9:45 PM

Oct 2007
Rebel160 said:
Asako said:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=23438&show=80#msg1003884 said:

<snip>
Wouldn't the...
<snip>
...doesn't...

Crap... I messed up there didn't I?

*whistles*
You can find me on IRC.
May 10, 2008 12:04 AM
May 2008
I use decent grammer when talking online with people.
May 10, 2008 10:23 AM

May 2008
I try to use decent and proper gammer.

Music is from the soul~ ♥
Mar 9, 2009 4:42 PM

Dec 2008
nope and never
::: (\(\
*: (=' :') :*
•.. (,('')('')¤°﹒‧°‧° ☆.(¯`•.•´¯)
.°☆ ‧°‧°☆∴° ☆ ¤º… `•.¸.•´ ☆™
Mar 9, 2009 5:14 PM

Oct 2008
Yes.
Mar 9, 2009 5:16 PM

Jul 2008
I try, homie.

If only there was a way that we could join these people that can't spell correctly into one concentrated mass and kill them all one by one. What's that called?
Mar 10, 2009 5:02 AM

Jun 2008
I won't say I'm a grammar nazi, but I do try my damnedest to spew out proper grammatical shit, so that even if it gets shot down, at least it looks good^^

Mar 10, 2009 8:11 AM

Oct 2008
Don't be a grammar nazi like spider-man... as long as what you say/type is somewhat legible, who cares, not the end of the world amgawsh

Mar 10, 2009 9:53 AM

Jul 2008
Complete grammar freak. But if english is not your mother language, a mistake can appear >.< Although non-capitalized "I", that's what always pisses me off, too.
Mar 10, 2009 10:01 AM
Mar 2009
I try but I make many mistakes since I'm not a native speaker
Mar 10, 2009 10:09 AM

Apr 2008
I can only express something in English when typing/writing. I'm bad with the speech since I don't speak English so to catch up I try to be in good grammar as much as possible.

Mar 10, 2009 10:12 AM

Feb 2009
Yes, I do. I'm a grammar nazi. :/
Cross my heart and hope to die
I promise that I will never lie
and if my promise ever does go
I give to you my eternal soul!
Mar 11, 2009 2:14 AM

Jan 2008
Thread fixed
Mar 11, 2009 4:04 AM

Dec 2008
pfft i couldnt really care, i didnt pass english so i dont plan to bother.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.