Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »
Mar 23, 2013 9:58 PM

May 2012
I was a bit disappointed with this series. The first half was excellent and had a lot of twists and turns. Never expected Mikado was the leader(admin) of the dollars because he had previously come off as so weak willed. The main characters were well developed as were the side characters here. The plot was also new and exciting.

Once the second half started though, things began to get a little ridiculous and predictable. Everyone either had to be some kind of a badass like Anri and Masaomi(who took down like a dozen grown men while bleeding from his forehead) Or faded into the background like Seiji and Mika. Some characters appeared in the opening that were hardly ever developed like the traffic cop and Shizuo's employer.

I strongly preferred Izaya/Shizuo/Celty to Mikado/Masaomi/Anri yet unfortunately, this half focused much more on the later three. Honestly if it wasn't for Izaya, I might have dropped it a couple of episodes into part 2. He's just such an epic troll.

Mikado seemed like he would become much more interesting after the first half but instead he more or less reverts back to how he was earlier. Masaomi's story about how he was harboring all of this grief was actually pretty interesting but him being the leader of the yellow scarves was annoying. If he had been the first leader then that'd be cool but they just automatically let him back in as the leader? Anri's the typical shy girl with the sad past so I don't really like her at all.

What really annoyed me though was all of the unanswered questions. If it was going to have a second season then I would be able to forgive that but it's been close to 3 years now so I doubt we're gonna see it.

7/10 for me.
gettogaaraMar 23, 2013 10:34 PM
May 4, 2013 6:04 PM

Jan 2013
Tyrel said:
Show was good. I found the first half boring, but the second half picked it up. Hope it gets more Seasons later on, as it only adapted like 3 of the Novels out of 11 so far.

I just finished the show and I really liked it! Even though I wouldn't say that it was better than baccano, it was a great show, decent enough to make me want to read the Light novels.
So is the Anime adaption close to the light novels? And would I miss something if I just start with the 4 Volume or should I start at the beginning?

Thanks for the information ^^
Sanity? I can't even remember having a thing like that to start with...

Jun 1, 2013 8:21 AM

Jan 2010
sorta wasnt what i was expecting
i was sorta hoping some one ended up dead, ( izaya)
im sad masaomi left that makes me really uncomfortable imo

9/10 for me
Jun 3, 2013 9:49 PM

Jan 2008
I had high hopes for this anime. I'd heard a lot of positive things about it. But I finished a little disappointed. It was good, solid through and through. But there was never a moment that got me really excited for something. Every plot point and character was just another aspect. They didn't really stand out or feel special. Not bad by any means and I did enjoy it but isn't memorable.

7/10
Jun 6, 2013 5:50 PM

Oct 2009
shulda guessed it was going the route so many good shows end now epic thru 1st half then runs outta eps to wrap the last few plot lines. still liked it as usual just wish it was more like everyone else.

would be nice if a spin off ova with dota's crew or more bout celty's past/future /w shinra would be a great idea IMO.
Jun 7, 2013 2:45 PM
Apr 2013
Nooo! It was too short.

I loved the punch Izaya got. xD
Jun 19, 2013 12:27 AM

Jul 2008
Simon and Shizou stole the episode. Izaya got some due punishment but not enough. I need to see how this one truly ends.
Jun 22, 2013 9:16 AM

Jul 2012
Nice! I liked it. I'd say that it's an 8.8/10 from me, so I'll round it up.

My problems with this series: Not that much. I guess some arcs were kind of boring compared to others. I really liked the Celty arc but not so much for the whole "three gangs" one. Iunno. Also, it ended kind of open and cliffhangery. A couple of plot holes here and there.

My compliments for this series: Really enjoyable. Fierce. Fun. Non-stop action. Hilarious. Great cast of characters. Lovely setting. Nice mystery. Great plot twists.
Jun 26, 2013 4:16 AM
Jun 2013
Ok so i'll keep this short; Durarara got better as it progressed with the tension between the yellow scarfs & the dollars & all the other characters interactions, so up until the last two episodes this anime was sitting on a 8.5/10

But the ending is average. It felt like it was cut too short and there was a bit more that could've been done, i really wanted to see a fight between Izaya and Shizuo; although, him getting punched by Simon was great! I also wanted more of a reaction when each friend got exposed of their secrets and other people's reactions to Mikado being the leader of the dollars'. So yeah the ending was pretty disappointing and so overall the rating dropped by one point. Great anime though.

8.4/10!
Jul 2, 2013 12:11 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Great job Simon, giving Izaya a nice punch :D I laughed when he went back with a wonderful bruise on his eye. Still though, it does seem like he likes humans a lot. Who can still be in such high spirit and have a huge smile on his face after being punched like that? I'd say no one but Izaya.

Kida and Saki are so cute together. I'm glad he finally stopped running away and decided to be true to his feelings. And despite hating Izaya for all that he's done, seems like they're somewhat getting along, as seen in the chat room. And Dotachin was awesome, gathering all the Dollars to pose as new members of Yellow Scarves, he always comes to save the day. But poor Yumacchi and Erika being left behind because they stood out too much. Best part though had to be Shizuo attacking Horada, so great.

Anyways, this was a fun ride, definitely a very interesting anime. I loved most of the characters and it just very refreshing, the way it integrated supernatural things like urban legends, gangs, and normal life together. I hope that they'll decide to make a second season because I will miss seeing all these fun and quirky characters.
Jul 11, 2013 8:15 AM

Nov 2012
Really sweet ending! I don't think I'll bother watching the special episodes unless I have time but I have a lot to get through on my Plan To Watch list... so yeah...
Jul 20, 2013 7:44 AM

May 2013
good serie 9/10

feels unclimatic though

can some one spoil me.... will shinra and celty have kids? like r they going to have sex or get marry? or shinra jus joking around
Jul 26, 2013 6:08 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A bit of a weak ending I thought. There were some plot points that were introduced but then left hanging like the whole Celty being a Valkyrie thing and the crazy father in the mask. Izaya also was left off far too easily with just a Simon punch to the eye. I suppose there is more covered in the source material and it's being left for a second season or OVA one day?

Good series, but Baccano it was not. The second half of DRRR was not as wild of a ride as the first.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 28, 2013 5:20 PM
Mar 2012
Three things:

1. No, the three kids couldn't "just talk to each other". I see that said a lot and I don't get it. Remember the characters don't know what the audience does. The dudes have to protect each others normal lives, while they don't want to disappoint the girl. The girl is an admitted parasite of both, who wouldn't want to lose them. I mean look what happened in the end when people DID find out that Mikado and Masaomi were acquinted.

2. I'm agnostic on anri x mikado. You don't always HAVE TO have a kiss ending, so I can live with it.

3. The real strange thing was the whole dropping of Celty's head plot. Too be fair it might've been to convoluted doing that and the gang wars at the same time, but would make a good season 2 (yes I know it's not going to happen).
Jul 28, 2013 10:00 PM

Apr 2012
i was seriously upset when kida left with saki. for some reason that couple has no spark, imo.
but it was super adorable seeing kida join the chatroom so he can still talk to everyone.
a bittersweet ending. but i still want more!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2013 1:54 AM

Mar 2013
Awesome series - 10/10

If anyone knows some other girls with personality like Celty's (strong, but timid), please PM me :D
"I believe in panties" ~ Shiina Mashiro
Aug 15, 2013 8:00 PM

Apr 2013
8/10 for me; the beginning was really boring, but the characters made up for it. Like Baccano!, the characters made the show 10x better than what it would normally be. The plot was alright, but there were no romantic development between Mikado/Anri and that pissed me off for some reason.

My biggest disappointment with this show is the whole plot surrounding Celty's head which takes a few episodes to explain and explore but is completely dropped out of the story in the last arc. They even end the show by showing us a glimpse of it.. I mean if you're gonna make her character such a big part of the show and the quest to find her head so important, at least make a few special or a 2 episodes OVA to tie this loose end.
Sep 13, 2013 12:24 PM

Aug 2012
So no war after all. No deaths and no valkyrie. Right, I expected as much.
It was disappointing enough to see that Celty abandoned her head and decided to play family with pervert/stalker/loser Shinra; and that Mikado returned to his old pathetic self after the twist with The Dollars. And then all this build up of conflict between the 3 friends and nothing really happens. Puff !
It's like a different anime after the time skip. At least Shizuo, Simon and Kadota's gang made it bearable to watch...

choyos said:

First half 10/10, last two arcs get 6/10 imo
Sep 21, 2013 12:36 AM

Aug 2013
I need a bit more answers. xD Other then that DONT LEAVE ME....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 21, 2013 4:06 AM

Dec 2010
Mimiko said:
Okay, this episode had what I wanted it should be.
I couldn't express my feelings about it better.
Oct 4, 2013 8:51 PM

Nov 2012
HOLY SHIT AWESOME EPISODE SERIOUSLY! XD AWESOME FINAL EPISODE! XD I REALLY REALLY LOVE IT! XD

Dollars vs Yellow Scarf yey yeah! XD
awesome awesome.. kida is really the hero.. really feel sad for his head :/
honora isn't -_- really stupid guy -_- he is part of blue gang? -_- i know it!

about the ending.. when izaya get beated by simon it was awesome :3 and when simon talking with russian language is awesome too.. he is completely different guy..
and Kamiya as izaya really doing his joing perfectly! XD lol he really talk russian! XD

and about the end.. God.. why kida go? :/
kinda feel sad about the end.. seriously.. I.. no We WANT MORE! XD

(10.9/10) GONNA MISS THE SHOW FOREVER.. 1 ONE MY FAVORITE JUST GONE~
Oct 14, 2013 3:10 AM

Jun 2012
love this show..more like baccano 2 :S
Oct 29, 2013 11:27 PM

Oct 2008
I feel like this anime spread itself too thin with so many characters. I really wanted more resolution with the Celty and Anri story lines and that never happened. Overall it's pretty solid, just not as thrilling or interesting as many other animes. I really had to force myself to keep watching at times. The three main characters aren't all that interesting and you end up hoping for all the side characters to make an appearance because they're drastically more entertaining. It's a pretty fun journey though, just not a particularly memorable or climatic destination.

7/10
Nov 7, 2013 2:01 AM

Jan 2010
So, I haven't watched the special yet. But I wanted to write before it possibly changed my opinion in retrospect.

Overall, I liked this series, some parts were slow, but I liked how there were so many characters and the story weaved together. The fact that they needed to introduce all the characters, and show them doing things, explains the slowness in the plot. Overall though, it was worth it.

When the Celty's head/abduction arc started coming together, I was amazed. The conclusion of that arc was pretty amazing. I had been dragging through the first several episodes, which I didn't find that great, but decided to stick with it. I'm glad I did.

The saika arc was good, but didn't have that same coming-together amazing feel to it. I think the yellow scarves/gang fight arc conclusion didn't live up to the conclusion of the celty's head arc. It was still pretty good, but I think I that first arc being so good spoiled me. There was also a lot of dramatic friends not talking to each other stuff that is understandable, but also somewhat annoying. The friends coming together and sorting things out didn't have the same sense of things being woven together, or the same exciting revelations, that the first arc did.

I loved seeing more development and happiness with celty though.

As for Anri x Mikado, I'm somewhat disappointed. We got a confession (to Celty) by Mikado that he loves Anri, but we didn't really get anything similar from Anri. A kiss between the two would have made their relationship apparent quickly and easily, but wasn't necessary.

I'm disappointed that what sort of relationship they have was pretty much ignored, and it was portrayed as being "just friends". There just isn't a way to say, even the dialog was bereft of clues as to whether or not they are in a relationship. The most we got was that Anri is capable of loving people. Having them hold hands, or even something that makes it clear that they AREN'T dating, would be better. A confession would have been okay. It's a pretty big issue to leave unsolved, especially since the relationship was hinted at throughout the series.

As for Celty's head... it's a bit annoying that it wasn't resolved, and also annoying that Izuya basically gets to continue doing his crap. I know that's a limitation of working from the novels, and the amount of time available to conclude things.

Overall, 8/10

but it was close, it could have been 9, with just a few things, such as a better conclusion to anri x mikado, or better conclusions with the last 2 arcs. This series was the best in the celty arc.
Nov 30, 2013 1:24 AM
Mar 2013
Amphetamine said:
The only good thing about this episode was Celty's smokin' hot body.

The finale was kinda weak, anti-climatic, and Izaya's character is as boring as ever. I wonder why doesn't he just get wiped off clean from the planet? I guess it's because he's popular with the female fans, and you don't want to lose fans which would result in a loss of money, amirite?

Gets a 6/10 from me anyway.

I don't really hate the guy but he gets kind of annoying after a while. I kept hoping Shizuo would finally get to punch him in the final episode, but sadly not.

Other than that I enjoyed the ending, loved that Kiba got included in the chat as well.
Dec 1, 2013 10:30 AM
Feb 2013
Uhh ohh. I don't like it. The whole.

Two close teenage friends running two huge social groups on the off-school time + mental-zombie breeder in the middle of them?
Nope.

Plus I find the end extremely pointless.
Almost everyone wants to kill somebody else and suddenly it's fucking happiness ever after.
Screw the head, screw this whole medical facility, screw Mikado's feelings, screw Izaya wanting to kill Shizuo, screw Shizuo seeking revenge on Kida. You need to guess what happened.

The headless dullahan idea, and so, was cool. Also characters were mostly cool (Shizuo and Simon ftw). But the story and all of this coincidental bullshit is just horrible for me.
kcuf
Dec 2, 2013 1:17 AM
Dec 2013
I really expect a second season :(
Dec 6, 2013 9:45 PM

Oct 2012
just finished it ! great ending
My biggest regret is using my real name as my user name.

The continuous pursuit of finding that genuine thing.
Dec 13, 2013 11:50 AM
Mar 2012
FalKKonE said:
Uhh ohh. I don't like it. The whole.

Two close teenage friends running two huge social groups on the off-school time + mental-zombie breeder in the middle of them?
Nope.

Plus I find the end extremely pointless.
Almost everyone wants to kill somebody else and suddenly it's fucking happiness ever after.
Screw the head, screw this whole medical facility, screw Mikado's feelings, screw Izaya wanting to kill Shizuo, screw Shizuo seeking revenge on Kida. You need to guess what happened.

The headless dullahan idea, and so, was cool. Also characters were mostly cool (Shizuo and Simon ftw). But the story and all of this coincidental bullshit is just horrible for me.

Well, just like Baccano!, yes, pretty much it's pointless. But for me it was less about the plot, and more about style and the eccentric large cast of characters.

However, it wasn't pointless to the point of inchoerence (Lain experiments) or being just annoying (FLCL).
Dec 14, 2013 8:51 PM

Sep 2013
Simon FTW!

"I actually am trying to provoke you" :3

Such a great ending :D

That end song was unique I don't think I've ever heard accordion before :O
Jan 8, 2014 12:05 PM

Aug 2013
So yeah, as I though, I really did saw Dotachin during Horada shitty speech.

I found this episode weaker than the other, thing seem to have arranged themself too easily and I still can't really understand what was Izaya plan in the end, it was just so random.

There is also too much question left :

- Did Anri and Mikado got together?

- Did Izaya war declaration to Saika continued?

- Does Celty doesn't give a shit about her head now?

- Shizuo said that he wanted to kill Mikado, but I never saw anyone tell him that it was Horada that asked that in the end.

- What the hell happened to Namie? She was so much attached to her brother in the first half and in the second half, she was acting as a useless assistant.

Anyway, maybe the OVA will answer some of these question, but I fear not. It doesn't seem like an epilogue. In any case, it was a good serie, better than Baccano! in my opinion.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 31, 2014 11:11 PM

Dec 2008
as the 130,000th person to rate this show...now that its over..I am kinda miffed with how things turned out.....the show never really elevated its plot to a point I would have been more psyked about in the end. It was far too plain and obvious to discern what the outcomes would be....but alas, it was still ok. 6.8/10
Feb 6, 2014 12:11 AM
Oct 2013
I didnt really like this anime. i only kept watching it cuze i really liked celty and shizuo and they ended the anime with out telling me why that creep has her head or what hes planning on doing with it.
Fear is freedom!
Subjugation is liberation!
Contradiction is truth!
These are the truths of this world!
Surrender to those truths,
you pigs in human in human clothing!

-Satsuki Kiryuin
Feb 8, 2014 11:08 PM
May 2013
I wish they showed more izaya, that guy is really mysterious and his reason behind all this manipulation is just bizarre to me, makes me feel like he is not a human. In the ending, there isnt that much fighting going on, little anti-climatic, overall pretty awesome
Mar 4, 2014 9:18 AM

Aug 2013
andrew8535 said:
I didnt really like this anime. i only kept watching it cuze i really liked celty and shizuo and they ended the anime with out telling me why that creep has her head or what hes planning on doing with it.

Same here. Too much threds without being developed or explained, so I'm lowering my vote like 2 points.

At some points it looked like the show was going nowhere.
Mar 6, 2014 10:21 PM
Jul 2018

What was the name of the song in the ending used? OMG, I love it.
So it ended. Gonna watch the Specials soon. :3
9/10
Mar 16, 2014 9:30 PM
Oct 2013
trillo69 said:

Same here. Too much threds without being developed or explained, so I'm lowering my vote like 2 points.

At some points it looked like the show was going nowhere.

i just read that they're making a second season. hopefully its a lot better and actually answers the questions we were left with from the first season
Fear is freedom!
Subjugation is liberation!
Contradiction is truth!
These are the truths of this world!
Surrender to those truths,
you pigs in human in human clothing!

-Satsuki Kiryuin
Mar 18, 2014 4:41 AM

Feb 2014
Well it's always fun to see Izaya being devious, and it's even better to see him get punched in the face by Simon. This episode concluded the series so well, apart from Celty trying to get her head back I don't know what else they could do with the second season.
Mar 29, 2014 12:57 AM
Feb 2014
I love the way Simon spoke to Izaya in russian. Japanese voice actor talking in russian made it sound more like polish. I'd love to see the cirilyc subtitles to what he said in russian.
Mar 29, 2014 6:39 PM

Oct 2013
so good!

super keenin on the next season
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Apr 2, 2014 7:20 PM

Mar 2013
Best show I've seen in a long time. I'm not sad that it's over because the second season is coming.
Izaya and Shizuo were far the best characters. Oh and I can't forget about Celty.
Amazing show, definitely I regret nothing. 9/10
Apr 4, 2014 5:33 AM

Sep 2012
Turned out fine. Rather glad that I didn't give up on this series despite dropping it thrice.

Celty is my favourite character of the show.
Apr 5, 2014 1:26 PM

May 2013
Love it. so happy a new season has been announced. gets a 10 from me.
Apr 7, 2014 4:29 AM
Dec 2013
So does Anri like Kida? or did she mean it as a different kind of like? confused because they often used suki and aishiteru..... If so, I feel bad for mikado haha

overall great series, can't wait til season 2
Apr 7, 2014 7:10 AM
Mar 2012
mylesperhour said:
So does Anri like Kida? or did she mean it as a different kind of like? confused because they often used suki and aishiteru..... If so, I feel bad for mikado haha

In REAL LIFE in a situation like that the girl is sometimes in like an "anything goes", if Kida tried to hook up with her she probably would, but if he doesn't, then she's fine with platonic too.

I like that they actually left that kind of ambigous at the end, I like variety, not EVERY anime has to have the guy and the girl get together in the end, so this was a good touch.

Boosted for Season 2, that's awesome news.
Apr 21, 2014 10:36 AM

May 2012
That was amazing! 10/10

I wasn't expecting very much from it, but i don't regret it that i finally watched it. It was sooo good. Characters were great and that's probably the best thing about this show.

Can't wait for season 2 this summer.
May 12, 2014 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
Thank you Simon!
May 12, 2014 3:59 PM
Apr 2012
this series had so much promise but the ending was very anti-climatical...a lot of people should have been brutally murdered but got out scott free....so i dunno i was kinda disappointed in the series...hopefully season 2 will deliver the goods
May 18, 2014 7:53 AM

Oct 2013
Great anime 8/0 from me.

May 24, 2014 6:21 PM

Jun 2013
Way too lighthearted for me. I should have stopped watching much earlier on, but I kept thinking "this will pick up and get deep, it's got to."

Sadly, it didn't. The clownish gang that couldn't even shoot a gun without crying like children, the other "gang" that are more like a youth group, the main bad guy that doesn't even do anything but stir up fights between children.

And in the end, the slut who just uses the MC says "I think I liked the other guy, I'm lonely now without him." Still the MC is too much of a pussy to do anything about it, still hanging around her as a friend hoping that one day she will magically do a 180 and start loving him.

Far, far too lighthearted.
Pages (12) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

francismeunier - Apr 22, 2010

234 by Karva1 »»
Apr 20, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usami-Haru - Mar 18, 2010

456 by Karva1 »»
Apr 20, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Proselyt - Jan 14, 2010

331 by Karva1 »»
Apr 19, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Feb 18, 2010

299 by Kurkitos »»
Feb 5, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kirika- - May 27, 2010

205 by dr_hydrangea »»
Jan 31, 4:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.