Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 7, 10:39 PM
Mar 2021
Would you ever consider continuing or rewatching an anime if enough time has passed since you have dropped it? And if you had to pick up an anime in your drop list, which one would you give the 2nd chance?

If I had to choose one I would go with My Hero Academia. I initially dropped it about 5 years ago because it because it felt very childish, but I'm more patient and open-minded with anime nowadays, so I would consider giving it another shot. Especially since I like the vibes I've been getting of the posters after Season 4/5 and I've heard it has become darker overall. But I wouldn't prioritize it over some others I'm planning to watch.
Sep 7, 10:40 PM

Feb 2020
I gave Show By Rock!! another chance and it was a good choice. Now it's one of my favorite anime.

I'm not sure about my current dropped list. Not a big fan of those shows.

SerafosSep 7, 10:45 PM
Sep 7, 11:07 PM
Mar 2021
Reply to Serafos
I gave Show By Rock!! another chance and it was a good choice. Now it's one of my favorite anime.

I'm not sure about my current dropped list. Not a big fan of those shows.

@Serafos

Finding a new genre to enjoy amongst your dropped list is very interesting. I think there are a lot of anime that I dropped simply because it was the first in X genre and I learned I didn't like it at the time, so that might happen for me as well. Unfortunately, most of the anime that I 'drop', I just never put on my list or I just deleted them entirely, so my drop list is a bit weak.

I did drop Gekai Elise, since I didn't find the focus on medicine very appealing, but I could see that potentially changing sometime in the future.
Sep 7, 11:08 PM

Jul 2021
Yeah I try again from time to time. There's usually a good reason I pick up a show in the first place, and sometimes I wonder if I was too hasty or just in the wrong headspace when I gave up on it. I'll probably try 86 and Vivy again at some point.

But of course, some of them I never want to look at ever again.
Sep 7, 11:40 PM

Jun 2024
I am a no drop policy once I started I will finish it. Mostly I pick that I enjoy.
Sep 7, 11:43 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I have revisited a number of dropped anime, some just confirmed the mostly negative feelings that I had in the first place, but some came with pleasant surprises. One of those pleasant surprises would be Oregairu, which I had initially dropped because I thought it was super cringe. But after about a year or so later I picked it up again and realized that it was actually pretty good. Funny thing is, I ALMOST dropped My Hero after the first season for similar reasons. Was really childish. But I said f*ck it let's keep going, and ended up actually really really enjoying the following seasons, even 4 and 5 in which people started to grow tired of it all. Like you said, sometimes you just have to be open-minded, and perhaps you just weren't in the right headspace when you picked up an anime that you had dropped.

Got a boatload of dropped anime, most you can easily tell right from the first episode that it's going to be all bad, and will never touch them again. Others, I just didn't care for at the time, but clearly they are something good and deserve to get another chance. Just quickly going through my dropped list, here are some that you might think I was stupid for dropping; and yeah you'd probably be right. At the time, just wasn't feeling it.

Monster
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Bleach
Beastars
Devilman Crybaby
Mushishi

These are the big ones that most likely all will unanimously agree that they should be completed. The rest, the other 289 on my dropped list, I think you can at least have SOME understanding to why I dropped it. Just last season, I dropped Jellyfish Don't Swim in the Night if that's what it's called, because I kept seeing reviews and such saying it fell off. Plus I had just finished Girls Band Cry which was a banger, maybe had a bit of cute girls fatigue, but I genuinely wasn't feeling that first episode of Jellyfish. But if a second season gets announced for that (idk if the story is done or anything like that), then I'd probably try it again. New season announcements for my dropped anime are also kind of a big way to get me back on board.

But yeah from this small list above, if I had to choose one, I think I should at least go back and finish Monster. Gonna guess that most would agree.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 7, 11:56 PM

Oct 2013
I’ve done this multiple times. Very recently too in fact.
Yesterday, 12:07 AM

Feb 2014
I rarely ever do it, but two instances I remember doing were:

1. Overlord: Dropped after one and a half episodes in either 2015 or early-2016 because I found them boring. Gave it another shot in 2018, and yeah, those initial one-and-a-half episodes really sucked. Luckily, the rest of the series was pretty nice, and Overlord II became one of my favorites.
  2. Shingeki no Kyojin: Started around 2013, went for the manga really early on, got pissed that the story just didn't progress in the manga, and if the anime covered less than that, then it was even worse. Since the contents and scenes from "The Final Season" did interest me (It was the plot progression I was looking for), I watched the entire thing in early 2021 (Never finished S1 since I already knew everything that happened there from the manga, which covered most of season 2, but I watched that one to remind myself of the plot). Didn't watch the ones from 2022 forward, though, since after the end of "The Final Season" I just went ahead and read the manga.
Yesterday, 12:20 AM

Dec 2021
I haven't done it yet (I think), but I am always thinking of giving Lovely★Complex a second shot, since do wonder if I was too harsh in dropping it at episode 2 and giving it a 3/10. Also Kamisama Kazoku to a lesser extent, since I didn't even give the second episode a shot, and dropped it with a 4/10.
Daviljoe193Yesterday, 1:04 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Yesterday, 12:24 AM

Sep 2016
Oioioioi1234 said:
if you had to pick up an anime in your drop list, which one would you give the 2nd chance?

Maybe https://myanimelist.net/anime/38853/Ex-Arm because I'm curious if it really is that bad aside from the low-budget 3dcgi.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Yesterday, 12:27 AM
Mar 2021
Reply to thewiru
I rarely ever do it, but two instances I remember doing were:

1. Overlord: Dropped after one and a half episodes in either 2015 or early-2016 because I found them boring. Gave it another shot in 2018, and yeah, those initial one-and-a-half episodes really sucked. Luckily, the rest of the series was pretty nice, and Overlord II became one of my favorites.
  2. Shingeki no Kyojin: Started around 2013, went for the manga really early on, got pissed that the story just didn't progress in the manga, and if the anime covered less than that, then it was even worse. Since the contents and scenes from "The Final Season" did interest me (It was the plot progression I was looking for), I watched the entire thing in early 2021 (Never finished S1 since I already knew everything that happened there from the manga, which covered most of season 2, but I watched that one to remind myself of the plot). Didn't watch the ones from 2022 forward, though, since after the end of "The Final Season" I just went ahead and read the manga.
@thewiru

Yeah, sometimes the first couple of episodes aren't at all indicative of the rest of the anime, it is rare though. For me this happened with Kaguya-sama where the atmosphere was so dull and suffocating until ep 4/5 when it started getting a lot better. That's one of the cases where giving the popular series a few extra episodes with "the benefit of the doubt" came in pretty useful.
Yesterday, 1:02 AM

Jul 2024
It’s quite common for me to drop an anime and never return to it. There are several reasons like Loss of Interest.. Sometimes, the story or characters just don’t appeal to me, leading to a lack of motivation to continue..
With so many anime available, i prioritize more interesting anime over the ones I dropped .
If the plot doesn’t meet my expectations and I don't find it to my liking , i decide it’s not worth the time.
Most often an anime might not align with my preferred genres and themes.. This is the most obvious reason for me to drop anime and never return to it..
Specific events or developments in the anime turn me off, such as repetitive tropes or realism, tragic plot, negative psychological twists... I avoid such anime
Yesterday, 1:15 AM

Jan 2023
There are some anime I gave a second chance.
For most of them, my second attempt only confirmed that I was 'right' to have dropped it (really not my cup of tea).
But for a few of them, yeah I didn't regret giving it another go, I enjoyed it a lot more than the first time :)
Yesterday, 1:24 AM

Sep 2018
Rather than forcing myself to watch something I'm not vibing with, it's better to drop and try again from the start in the future. I'm retrying more and more anime from my dropped list and I did change my mind sometimes. Definitely worth it.

Here's my list of anime I dropped and then I tried again or plan to:

worth watching (sorted from masterpiece to barely watchable)

dropped again

plan to retry
Yesterday, 2:14 AM

Jun 2024
I kind of dropped Gintama after the Farewell Arc. I might pick it back up and finish it in the future, I guess, but I'm not sure.
Yesterday, 9:48 AM

Aug 2010
I did that with Steins;Gate and Oregairu. Steins;Gate I grew bored of, but I dropped it right before it get interesting and when I got back to it, I got hooked right away. Oregairu I dropped more than once because I just didn't like the characters. I picked it back up years later, maybe 8-9 years, and while it's really cheesy but it was not bad and I find the MC is actually the strength of the story. I guess I just was able to view it in a different perspective and enjoyed it more after leaving it for years.

From my dropped list, I would pick up Natsume Yuujinchou. I didn't think it was bad but I got tired easily with episodic anime especially when I binge watch it, and that's what I did with Natsume. I am able to appreciate those kind of anime more now by watching slowly so I am open about giving Natsume another chance.
ShirayukinYesterday, 1:37 PM
Yesterday, 10:26 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Better to revisit a dropped anime and watch it till the end, than to live forever in uncertainty if the show "gets good later on" or not.
Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Mar 2021
Reply to Nirinbo
Rather than forcing myself to watch something I'm not vibing with, it's better to drop and try again from the start in the future. I'm retrying more and more anime from my dropped list and I did change my mind sometimes. Definitely worth it.

Here's my list of anime I dropped and then I tried again or plan to:

worth watching (sorted from masterpiece to barely watchable)

dropped again

plan to retry
Nirinbo said:
Rather than forcing myself to watch something I'm not vibing with, it's better to drop and try again from the start in the future

I like this approach because often my enjoyment of an anime is dependent on the current momentum of my emotions towards it. If I'm not vibing with it, even if it starts getting better later on, I'm less likely to pick up on these due to already being dissatisfied, or it's less easy to be swayed by interesting shifts in plot. On the other hand, if I'm vibing with an anime, I usually can give it the benefit of the doubt for a dry few episodes believing that the writing will get good eventually.

Also, just curious, but I wanna know why you dropped Mushishi when you retried it again. I've heard good things about it making me want to watch it sometime soon. Did you think it was outright bad or just not your cup of tea?
Yesterday, 1:01 PM

Jan 2008
Sometimes I drop anime I lost interest in rather then it being bad. I would certainly go back for some of it
Yesterday, 1:03 PM

Sep 2018
Princess Connect was good giving it a 2nd chance, but I usually would never give 2nd chances to any anime.
Yesterday, 1:26 PM

Aug 2008
Show gets dropped for a reason, picking it back up just means revisiting frustration and boredom.
Yesterday, 1:37 PM

Apr 2021
i dropped hxh the first time i saw it, 2 years later i picked it up and watched it and it was very good. Of the ones i have dropped the only one i can see myself picking up is bleach and thats just cuz i made it so far to leave it unfinished, however im waiting for it to be completely over so i can just binge it.
Yesterday, 1:47 PM

Oct 2016
I just picked up Yatagarasu again.

The only other dropped anime I remember doing that with is K-on!
Yesterday, 2:00 PM
Jan 2021
I've gone back a few times and ended up enjoying the show years later. Some on my drop list I even liked when I dropped them. I just either didn't want to commit to the watching the whole series at that time, or wanted to stop on a high note while the show was still good. I may or may not return to those later.
Yesterday, 2:09 PM
Nov 2020
Nah, I won't do that, it's better to just look for the latest or upcoming anime.
Yesterday, 2:12 PM

Oct 2021
Dropping anime is for the weak!!!!!!
Yesterday, 2:27 PM

Jun 2021
Hard chance I'll ever be visiting that list.
Yesterday, 4:17 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to Oioioioi1234
Nirinbo said:
Rather than forcing myself to watch something I'm not vibing with, it's better to drop and try again from the start in the future

I like this approach because often my enjoyment of an anime is dependent on the current momentum of my emotions towards it. If I'm not vibing with it, even if it starts getting better later on, I'm less likely to pick up on these due to already being dissatisfied, or it's less easy to be swayed by interesting shifts in plot. On the other hand, if I'm vibing with an anime, I usually can give it the benefit of the doubt for a dry few episodes believing that the writing will get good eventually.

Also, just curious, but I wanna know why you dropped Mushishi when you retried it again. I've heard good things about it making me want to watch it sometime soon. Did you think it was outright bad or just not your cup of tea?
@Oioioioi1234 There are plenty of anime often accused of being boring that didn't bore me at all, but also many that bored me as well; Mushishi falls into the latter category even after trying it twice.

I still respect it because I'm sure that every real expert considers it a masterpiece, but at the same time I do think that Natsume Yuujinchou has a better adaptation (thanks to the god-tier soundtrack) and a better main character; maybe Mushishi has better episodic plots, but I'd rather read the manga if that's the only thing I care about.
10 hours ago

Dec 2020
Maybe, but only in certain cases. There are animes like Platinum End and Shaman King where I just know that I will never like them. But something like Hell's Paradise could perhaps deserve a 2nd chance in the future depending on the reception that it gets when the next season drops. Either way I don't drop that much shows because I like to finish them even if I'm not liking them too much.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
9 hours ago
Aug 2024
That's a good question. Personally, in my case I don't think I would revisit a dropped anime, but not for the reason you think.

It is extremely rare for me to drop an anime; in fact I can count on one hand the number of titles I have dropped since I really got into anime.

I think I've only dropped 4 titles since dropping the anime, but I wouldn't say it was because I hated the show outright. Each case was situation specific:

One show I dropped because I realized how stupid the humor was and to be honest, I only picked it up because it was one of those 12 minute anime and thought it would be a good way to kill time in between shows I was interested in. I was wrong, and dropped the show midway through the season

Another show had a premise that I found boring after 3 episodes so I dropped it

Another I got about 2/3 through... then I just lost interest

And the last one... watched the first season, but midway through the second season, I felt like the show had "lost the plot" and was going in directions that felt like it was just... "wasting time" at that point and strayed too far from the plot I thought it was about

Would I revisit any of these? Unlikely, but only because all but maybe the last one I have no real interest in revisiting
8 hours ago
Mar 2021
Reply to Trivia-man-Frank
That's a good question. Personally, in my case I don't think I would revisit a dropped anime, but not for the reason you think.

It is extremely rare for me to drop an anime; in fact I can count on one hand the number of titles I have dropped since I really got into anime.

I think I've only dropped 4 titles since dropping the anime, but I wouldn't say it was because I hated the show outright. Each case was situation specific:

One show I dropped because I realized how stupid the humor was and to be honest, I only picked it up because it was one of those 12 minute anime and thought it would be a good way to kill time in between shows I was interested in. I was wrong, and dropped the show midway through the season

Another show had a premise that I found boring after 3 episodes so I dropped it

Another I got about 2/3 through... then I just lost interest

And the last one... watched the first season, but midway through the second season, I felt like the show had "lost the plot" and was going in directions that felt like it was just... "wasting time" at that point and strayed too far from the plot I thought it was about

Would I revisit any of these? Unlikely, but only because all but maybe the last one I have no real interest in revisiting
@Trivia-man-Frank

I feel you with the last one, I've watched many shows that were appealing in the first season, but the second season either makes it lose its touch or meanders too much with the plot making it feel like a different show. Recently this has happened for me with an isekai called Tsukimichi: Moonlit Fantasy. Suddenly entering a school arc that seemed so random and I couldn't get invested into the new characters at all. I ended up finishing the 2nd season and it had some decent parts towards the end, but that one arc really detracted from my enjoyment of the show overall.
8 hours ago
Aug 2024
Thinking about it, I just realized it was actually five shows; two of them were the second season problem we both experienced.

But as a rule, in general I do try to watch shows through once I’ve started them because I feel it’s not fair to judge a show until you’ve watched it through; think of it as the anime version of “don’t judge a book by its cover”. What gives me the right to call a show “bad” unless I’ve seen it through? Maybe it has redeeming qualities that come later.

Would i call the shows I didn’t finish bad? For me personally, I don’t think it’s fair to do so since I didn’t watch them through so how can I have a properly informed opinion. I have my reasons for not finishing them, and they had their shortcomings, but I won’t specifically refer to them as “bad shows” since it isn’t fair to do so
8 hours ago

Jun 2023
Reply to Kirika_Madeleine
I am a no drop policy once I started I will finish it. Mostly I pick that I enjoy.
@Kirika_Madeleine Yeah I also do that but out of 350+ anime i dropped only on School Days Maybe I don't need to explain the reason
7 hours ago

Jul 2021
Not yet, I might probably give Ninku another chance but I'm not feeling like doing so rn.
5 hours ago

Jul 2016
The anime found in my dropped list all suck.
4 hours ago

Jan 2009
my vote goes to boogiepop and others i drop it because of bad animation
4 hours ago

May 2018
Yes, I give chances where I think there's potential and I may find my right mood for certain show, but there are some perma-dropps (like 86 and Shield Hero) in my list.
4 hours ago
Sep 2017
i dropped jojo after the 1st season because i didnt like how the characters were going to be different the next season. I randomly started season 2 and got hooked. Now ive watched every season and im reading steel ball run. i dropped code geass after 3 episodes because i got bored, but everyone loves it so maybe ill pick it up again.
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
tried it two times with Shield Hero and HOTD and i regretted that decision.
3 hours ago

Jul 2016
Reply to YN_ON
tried it two times with Shield Hero and HOTD and i regretted that decision.
@YN_ON Highschool of the Dead was fine until the final episode. I like it except the shit ending.
2 hours ago
Gaming & Anime

Jan 2024
No, I would rather rewatch something i did like than starting something over i did not like.

More topics from this board

» What's your favorite thing about moe blobs?

Catalano - Yesterday

16 by LenRea »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you think smart anime fans are better than dumb anime fans?

LenRea - Sep 7

45 by LenRea »»
4 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on the Jjk fandom?

Ba-Cii10 - Aug 20

42 by UberBat »»
8 minutes ago

» Dragon Ball Sub Vs Dub Which is Better?

Ahmad_Sahil_ - 7 hours ago

13 by ToG25thBaam »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Backs, Butts, Legs or All of the above? (didn't include boobs because I'm focusing on the rear of characters)

IpreferEcchi - Sep 6

26 by TipraTechnophile »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.