Forum Settings
Forums

One Piece could be short if they wanted to...

New
Jul 9, 2:10 AM
Nov 2023
Hey everyone,I’ve been thinking a lot about the length of One Piece and whether it could have been a shorter series if Oda, the creator, had wanted it to be. While I love the epic journey and all the adventures, it seems like there are many arcs and subplots that, while enjoyable, aren’t always essential to the main storyline.Here are a few points to consider:Focus on Main Plot Points: If Oda had cut down on some of the filler arcs and less critical subplots, we could have a more streamlined story focusing on Luffy’s journey to find the One Piece and become the Pirate King.Character Introductions: One Piece has a massive cast of characters, many of whom get their own backstories and development. While this adds depth to the world, it also extends the story. Cutting down on secondary character arcs might have sped things up.World-Building: The detailed world-building is one of One Piece's strengths, but it also contributes to its length. A less detailed world might have led to a shorter series.Battles and Fights: The battles in One Piece are often drawn out over many chapters. Shortening these could also have reduced the overall length of the series.What do you all think? Could One Piece have been a much shorter series, or do you think the length is part of what makes it special? Would a shorter series have lost some of its charm and depth?Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!Cheers,
Jul 9, 3:13 AM
Apr 2024
I only watched east blue and while one piece isn't for me, every fan I met (and since I play the one piece TCG I know quite a few) love the length, for the kind of show one piece is length might make it so some people won't watch but it makes fans more invested and Oda clearly loves to write so it's a win win and there isn't a true downside
Jul 9, 3:22 AM

Sep 2016
Seems OP doesn't know that One Pace exists.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 9, 3:26 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to Zarutaku
@Zarutaku thats not the purpose of the post tho...
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

Jul 9, 3:29 AM

Jan 2009
those side quests or subplots are common storytelling just to milk the cash cow so i doubt it will be lessen
Jul 9, 3:54 AM

May 2014
Of course it could. It was only gonna last about 5 years at first. That's why a lot of the recent developments are tying in with stuff from early One Piece more. Big chunks in the middle were just created as the series got more popular. Not that I'm complaining, One Piece is one of the few manga where its length isn't a bad thing. The world wouldn't feel as massive if they weren't travelling to so many islands along the way.
Jul 9, 5:38 AM

May 2018
"One Piece could be short if they wanted to..."

But they don't.
Jul 9, 5:48 AM

Jul 2013
It is not really worth watching all of the episodes, no offense. There are much better anime shows to be watching IMO. I don't criticize those, who enjoy watching One Piece, however.
Jul 9, 5:56 AM

May 2021
Its about momentum. I binged 1008 episodes 2 years ago in half a year. I even wanted it to be longer back then. However I stopped watching for over a year due to studies, and now I came back and realized I just don't have the patience I had 2 years ago. Im having trouble watching 20 episodes of wano because the pacing is terribly slow. Idk about the manga, but Id be happy if OP anime can adapt 2 chapters per episode which is obviously unrealistic but still...
Jul 9, 5:56 AM

Jan 2018
it takes talent to write that far and still have people cheering for him. it's instantly better if the power levels are consistent throughout the show where you would not see a weak villain dominating and only lose during last 5 minutes before filler is over as they continue on main arc. filler felt like like ultraman or flashback jutsu for them to intentionally recap recent event.
Jul 9, 6:02 AM

Jan 2021
One Piece is that long cause it need to be that long. Oda is a creative genius who created a masterclass worldbuilding which warrants many unique differing characters, who need and deserve the time spent on them. This aspects contribute to the greatness of One Piece, removing them will remove that greatness.

Even after One Piece will end and will have hundred's of spin offs and side stories, i doubt it will do justice to the world and characters Oda created.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jul 10, 12:54 PM

Jul 2013
It is probably not worth your time and effort watching every 1,000+ episodes of One Piece. Just saying.
Jul 10, 1:14 PM

Aug 2020
One Piece isn't short because Jump didn't want to. I agree with you though.

Jul 10, 1:15 PM

Aug 2013
"Shorter? You want us to stop making money? What's wrong with you?", thought the One Piece creator after reading your post that should have been either shorter and/or spaced out.
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ELDEN RING SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE wOOt!! F YEAH LET'S F GOOOOOO!!!
Jul 10, 1:18 PM

Dec 2020
No offense, but literally everything you listed would make One Piece such a worse show. Shorter doesn't equal better.
Jul 10, 1:38 PM

Jun 2015
How is making it worse making it better? Who told you that a show with less episodes is better???
Jul 10, 1:39 PM

Jul 2013
There is nothing better to produce/air. Hence One Piece has such an incredibly large number of episodes.
Jul 10, 1:48 PM

Sep 2022
Reply to Zarutaku
@Zarutaku

That version is for fake fans, no cap.

One Piece > One Pace by a long shot.
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
Jul 10, 1:48 PM

Apr 2020
once u get caught up with one piece u get upset because there isnt ENOUGH episodes. the pacing in dressrosa and wano was horrible tho.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 1:53 PM

Jul 2013
1,000+ episodes is too much to watch, no offense. I prefer 12 to 24 episodes long anime series btw.
Jul 10, 9:33 PM

Sep 2022
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
once u get caught up with one piece u get upset because there isnt ENOUGH episodes. the pacing in dressrosa and wano was horrible tho.
@Kenzolo-folk

pacing in Wano wasn't horrible but go off my friend.
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
Jul 10, 9:42 PM

Apr 2022
that's how you ruin it. only valid way to make it shorter is to do what one pace does, i guess. not that i use it.
Jul 10, 9:49 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to GoatPieceLuffy
@Kenzolo-folk

pacing in Wano wasn't horrible but go off my friend.
@GoatPieceLuffy

get oda or toei's cock outta your mouth brother that shit was horrible

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 10:10 PM

Apr 2024
short for what?
One piece anime is like an Indian tv show but animated.
you can read manga but if you can dig into this type of anime and watch for over a thousand episodes, I dont even know what to say
kkk
Jul 10, 10:34 PM

Sep 2022
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@GoatPieceLuffy

get oda or toei's cock outta your mouth brother that shit was horrible

@Kenzolo-folk

Imagine using a shitty youtube video to "prove a point".

Hilarious.

One Pace still trash.
Jul 10, 10:38 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to GoatPieceLuffy
@Kenzolo-folk

Imagine using a shitty youtube video to "prove a point".

Hilarious.

One Pace still trash.
@GoatPieceLuffy

stay delusional. i hope oda let you hit bruh.
Jul 10, 11:36 PM

Sep 2022
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@GoatPieceLuffy

stay delusional. i hope oda let you hit bruh.
@Kenzolo-folk

https://x.com/LordLimeJuice/status/1798039194159427671

This alone proves how trash One Pace is.
Jul 11, 12:12 AM

Apr 2016
Ishow_suii said:
If Oda had cut down on some of the filler arcs and less critical subplots, we could have a more streamlined story focusing on Luffy’s journey to find the One Piece and become the Pirate King.

Everything that's in the manga is not filler, so none of that should be cut.
Jul 11, 1:07 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to GoatPieceLuffy
@Zarutaku

That version is for fake fans, no cap.

One Piece > One Pace by a long shot.
@GoatPieceLuffy I never watched it so I don't know, but it's better if people watch One Pace instead of quitting the franchise entirely.
When I watched WCI arc I got so annoyed by Toei's botch pacing, that I quit watching for about 2 years.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.

More topics from this board

» Do you use MAL-like sites for other kinds of media? Books, Games, Movies etc

TheDoodle - 4 hours ago

30 by SushiSuperLover »»
3 minutes ago

» Terrifying characters ( 1 2 )

SimplyBrazen - Yesterday

72 by Adnash »»
5 minutes ago

» Dub vs. Sub: The Story Behind Your Preference ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Feb 8

95 by EvilGrin »»
7 minutes ago

» โŽโ โโ โŽ When did you watch the last anime you added to your favorites? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jul 14, 2023

97 by Oofmastre9000 »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you actually prefer having a Bland MC?

Dragevard - Jul 13

31 by Oofmastre9000 »»
19 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.