Forum Settings
Forums

'Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Jou-hen' Anime Movie Trilogy Announced

New
Jun 30, 8:18 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The eighth and final episode of the Kimetsu no Yaiba: Hashira Geiko-hen (Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Hashira Training Arc) television anime announced an anime movie trilogy adaptation of the next story arc, Mugen Jou-hen (Infinity Castle Arc), on Sunday. The official website also revealed a teaser visual (pictured) and teaser trailer.

The Hashira Geiko-hen (Hashira Training Arc) anime premiered with a 48-minute first episode on May 12. Crunchyroll simulcast the anime worldwide with subtitles.

The first anime season aired in 26 episodes in Spring 2019. Aniplex of America licensed the anime series and simulcast them on Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Hulu.

The Mugen Ressha-hen (Mugen Train) sequel anime movie opened in Japan in October 2020. A seven-episode television edit of the movie featuring new scenes aired from October to November in 2021.

The Yuukaku-hen (Entertainment District Arc) television anime debuted with a one-hour special in December 2021. The Katanakaji no Sato-hen (Swordsmith Village Arc) television anime also premiered with a one-hour special in April 2023.

Manga author Koyoharu Gotouge received an honorable mention at the 70th Jump Treasure Newcomer Manga Awards for their Kagarigari one-shot in 2013, which became the prototype for Kimetsu no Yaiba. The supernatural action manga began serializing in Weekly Shounen Jump in February 2016 and ended its four-year run in May 2020. Shueisha published the 23rd and final volume in December 2020.

VIZ Media licensed the manga in English in July 2017 and simulpublished it on its Shounen Jump platform. The 23rd and final volume went on sale in August 2021. Shueisha's Manga Plus service also simulpublished the manga in English beginning in January 2019.

Teaser Trailer

Official site: https://kimetsu.com/anime/mugenjyohen_movie/
Official X (Twitter): @kimetsu_off

Source: Oricon News

Kimetsu no Yaiba Movie: Mugen Jou-hen on MAL
VindstotJun 30, 2:08 PM

Jun 30, 8:30 AM

Apr 2012
The reason for this decision were the nuances of adapting the last arc, or purely the desire to get maximum hype from the ending of the popular anime?
Jun 30, 8:35 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Oh dear, movie.

Can't say I'm happy about that since it would take so long until it's available online

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jun 30, 8:48 AM

May 2020
How many years will it even take lol. Fate or Tsukihime adaptations genuinely feel like a pipe dream at this point, given they're working on Mahoyo too.
Jun 30, 8:50 AM

Mar 2019
I already imagined that they would turn the next arc into a movie, well, as long as they adapt the story until the end, that's fine. :3
Jun 30, 8:56 AM

Nov 2019
So, a few questions...

1. How much average length each movies need to be for the manga to be adapted faithfully?

2. Is Ufotable very confident on the BD sales for movies that need earlier content to be watched by audience? To answer that, on this context, how were Fate: Heaven's Feel sales?

3. Is making 3 movies more profitable than say, a 1.5 cour anime series?

4. Will Ufotable start new projects in between, like the Genshin Impact anime?
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jun 30, 8:57 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
The reason for this decision were the nuances of adapting the last arc, or purely the desire to get maximum hype from the ending of the popular anime?
@RobertBobert To make more money*
Jun 30, 9:00 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to Laplace_kun
So, a few questions...

1. How much average length each movies need to be for the manga to be adapted faithfully?

2. Is Ufotable very confident on the BD sales for movies that need earlier content to be watched by audience? To answer that, on this context, how were Fate: Heaven's Feel sales?

3. Is making 3 movies more profitable than say, a 1.5 cour anime series?

4. Will Ufotable start new projects in between, like the Genshin Impact anime?
@Laplace_kun 1.Not sure but should be fine I think for 3×2-2.5hr length movies.

2.Movies make more money from the theatre. They can also sell them afterwards in BD/DVD or heck even decide to broadcast/stream them like mugen train. The mugen train movie broke sales records.

3.Yes they are, specially in recent times.

4. They can be working on other projects as we speak.
Jun 30, 9:01 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to Softhenic03
How many years will it even take lol. Fate or Tsukihime adaptations genuinely feel like a pipe dream at this point, given they're working on Mahoyo too.
@Softhenic03 Tsukihime and Fate will eventually happen.
MegamiRemJun 30, 9:08 AM
Jun 30, 9:06 AM

Nov 2019
@MegamiRem Well the TV version of Mugen Train did raise some eyebrows. Hopefully the three movies won't be condensed versions of some future TV series format. Thanks for your insight!
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jun 30, 9:25 AM
Mar 2022
So we all agree that this is a pure business decision, right? Ain't no way there's a "quality increase". We just saw JJK pull off an arc with the same concept as this one, with better animation, as a regular TV season. They could have made it a season if they wanted to.
Jun 30, 9:26 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to MegamiRem
@RobertBobert To make more money*
@MegamiRem So technically there was nothing stopping them from turning this into another season?
Jun 30, 9:28 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@MegamiRem So technically there was nothing stopping them from turning this into another season?
@RobertBobert Yea it's whatever the production board decides.
Jun 30, 9:31 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to RandomPerson9348
So we all agree that this is a pure business decision, right? Ain't no way there's a "quality increase". We just saw JJK pull off an arc with the same concept as this one, with better animation, as a regular TV season. They could have made it a season if they wanted to.
RandomPerson9348 said:
Movies usually mean better quality since they get more time and budget to work with. Yes they could have made it a normal season if they wanted to but what's wrong with them trying to make more money? If they make more money they'll keep making more seasons.
Jun 30, 9:32 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to MegamiRem
@RobertBobert Yea it's whatever the production board decides.
@MegamiRem Anyway, if they end the adaptation with a movie, will they be able to get more hype out of it than just the final season? I have to admit, I liked the hype surrounding the ending of Gintama and Titans.

I'm interested in this too. I'm not that big of a Fate fan, but I really REALLY want to see the Genshin anime.
Jun 30, 9:34 AM

Jan 2019
I was kind of expecting the anime to end with a movie. But 3 of them ?? Lol why not, but I feel like it's too much for what is left to adapt, there will probably be a lot of filler stuff.
Jun 30, 9:37 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@MegamiRem Anyway, if they end the adaptation with a movie, will they be able to get more hype out of it than just the final season? I have to admit, I liked the hype surrounding the ending of Gintama and Titans.

I'm interested in this too. I'm not that big of a Fate fan, but I really REALLY want to see the Genshin anime.
RobertBobert said:
Anyway, if they end the adaptation with a movie, will they be able to get more hype out of it than just the final season? I have to admit, I liked the hype surrounding the ending of Gintama and Titans.

You forgot to quote the second post XD.
Jun 30, 9:37 AM

Jan 2009
movies have more production time and since the final arc is nonstop action this kinda makes sense if they want to go all sakuga on each fighting scenes

but sucks we gonna wait for years to finish watching this show
Jun 30, 9:52 AM

Jun 2014
I remember joking about this happening as a meme but tbh I'm not surprised this is the route they're going. Doing this arc in movie format will probably hype up the fandom even more than Mugen Train, so if we thought Mugen Train killed it at the box office, oh man this is going to be cold-blooded murder. This arc is 47 chapters so each movie could adapt roughly 15 or 16 chapters, probably with, I imagine, some added scenes to stretch out some fights. Now my only question is, what about the Sunrise Countdown arc? As we can see, they've been adapting this series arc by arc since after S1, so I'm wondering if they'll do a short TV season to adapt the last of it after these movies, since there's no indication that they'll do that arc as part of these movies. Or shit, they might do another movie or two lol 😭

RandomPerson9348 said:

Oh absolutely lol, if it was solely up to ufotable they would probably just do a regular TV season but it's Aniplex and Shueisha calling the shots, so of course they're going to go with the option that brings in the most 🤑🤑🤑🤑 yea it sucks for us as the consumers, but I can't fault companies for doing what any company would do with a profitable IP like Demon Slayer: find any possible way to maximize said profits.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 30, 9:56 AM

Jan 2021
Saw this coming even before the leaks spread last year. This arc is absolute cinema. It literally needs to be released in cinema. Ufotable will surely go all out on this. The hype is looking pretty good for this one.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jun 30, 10:01 AM

May 2021
thoroughly milking it, sasuga demon slayer production committee. they're most likely gonna make insane bank off of these, money hungry executives ftw! genshin and mahoyo productions are probably snoozing rn. seen a leak that they would also be the ones to adapt ORV manhwa... hope its not ufotable fr.
Jun 30, 10:08 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to MegamiRem
RobertBobert said:
Anyway, if they end the adaptation with a movie, will they be able to get more hype out of it than just the final season? I have to admit, I liked the hype surrounding the ending of Gintama and Titans.

You forgot to quote the second post XD.
@MegamiRem Wait, these three movies aren't adapting the final arc?
Jun 30, 10:13 AM

Sep 2020
Looks like Demon Slayer will end in 2030.
Jun 30, 10:18 AM
Mar 2022
MegamiRem said:
RandomPerson9348 said:
Movies usually mean better quality since they get more time and budget to work with. Yes they could have made it a normal season if they wanted to but what's wrong with them trying to make more money? If they make more money they'll keep making more seasons.

The money part isn't the major problem for me. I will be watching all three, and it is good that they will earn more.

What concerns/annoys me is the detriment to the pacing and style of the arc. Infinity Castle has a lot of stuff going on simultaneously, which is why I compared it to Shibuya Incident. It would flow beautifully as a season.

But now it gets divided over three years, I assume. We'll have plot threads introduced in the first film that take two years to get resolved. The Zenitsu development teased last week probably won't pay off until the second film. They can circumvent the problem by rearranging the arc and allowing the films to have a closed feeling, but that ruins the original interconnected idea of it.

Also, they went to the effort of calling it "Infinity Castle" and not the "finale". Are we even sure it will include Sunrise Countdown? Cause there's 70-80 chapters left. That is a minimum of 4 well-paced films, not three. There will be more after this.

TL;DR - The issue isn't them earning money. The issue is them ruining the storytelling quality (in terms of which Infinity Castle is the second best arc after Mugen Train, imo), due to it.
Jun 30, 10:22 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@MegamiRem Wait, these three movies aren't adapting the final arc?
@RobertBobert No its not the final arc but the one before that.

Also I was talking about the second part of your quote. Genshin and Fate anime.
Jun 30, 10:25 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to RandomPerson9348
MegamiRem said:
RandomPerson9348 said:

The money part isn't the major problem for me. I will be watching all three, and it is good that they will earn more.

What concerns/annoys me is the detriment to the pacing and style of the arc. Infinity Castle has a lot of stuff going on simultaneously, which is why I compared it to Shibuya Incident. It would flow beautifully as a season.

But now it gets divided over three years, I assume. We'll have plot threads introduced in the first film that take two years to get resolved. The Zenitsu development teased last week probably won't pay off until the second film. They can circumvent the problem by rearranging the arc and allowing the films to have a closed feeling, but that ruins the original interconnected idea of it.

Also, they went to the effort of calling it "Infinity Castle" and not the "finale". Are we even sure it will include Sunrise Countdown? Cause there's 70-80 chapters left. That is a minimum of 4 well-paced films, not three. There will be more after this.

TL;DR - The issue isn't them earning money. The issue is them ruining the storytelling quality (in terms of which Infinity Castle is the second best arc after Mugen Train, imo), due to it.
RandomPerson9348 said:

Well yeah movie trilogy means we'll have wait longer but that takes us back to the better quality point as they'll get more time to work on it compared to a continuous 1/2 cour season. Also no it won't adapt the sunrise arc.
Jun 30, 10:30 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to MegamiRem
@RobertBobert No its not the final arc but the one before that.

Also I was talking about the second part of your quote. Genshin and Fate anime.
@MegamiRem So they'll turn the penultimate arc into movies? Wouldn't it be strange, then, to make the finale a regular season? It will also awkwardly feel like Hibike's final season after the film series.
Jun 30, 10:33 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@MegamiRem So they'll turn the penultimate arc into movies? Wouldn't it be strange, then, to make the finale a regular season? It will also awkwardly feel like Hibike's final season after the film series.
@RobertBobert Idk what they want to do with the sunrise countdown arc. Maybe more movies who knows.
Jun 30, 10:38 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to MegamiRem
@RobertBobert Idk what they want to do with the sunrise countdown arc. Maybe more movies who knows.
@MegamiRem It's just that while discussing the train, I heard that the last two arcs are quite large and bloodthirsty, so they would theoretically need quite a lot of time and effort to adapt the remaining material. However, then no one thought that they would simply compress the training to the 8th episode of the mini-series.
Jun 30, 10:53 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@MegamiRem It's just that while discussing the train, I heard that the last two arcs are quite large and bloodthirsty, so they would theoretically need quite a lot of time and effort to adapt the remaining material. However, then no one thought that they would simply compress the training to the 8th episode of the mini-series.
@RobertBobert Didn't get your last point. You mean adapting the training arc in 8 episodes? If yes then it's actually more than 8 episodes as the first episode was double length and so is the last episode. Epi 7 was extended too by like 10 minutes. So it's roughly 10.5 episode length around a full cour.
Jun 30, 11:05 AM

Jul 2023
Based ufo milking the IP until it's drier than the Sahara.
Jun 30, 11:26 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Reply to Enbu_Kirikaze
Based ufo milking the IP until it's drier than the Sahara.
@Enbu_Kirikaze The joke is that the mangaka didnt follow that route at all, ended it when she wanted and felt the best, and UFO was like, you crazy WOMAN?! SHIT we gotta do something about it.
Filler season and movie trilogy for maximum milking.

I don't mind seeing the movies in the cinema thought, but waiting for each would be a pain, so I might only go see the last one in the cinema, and wait for the first two, to binge them, and then get that ultimate experience with the final movie.
Jun 30, 12:28 PM
Jun 2021
Its so funny seeing some people say that UFO is milking Demon slayer, if this was a different source material, yall would be celebrating. Adding additional scenes to flesh out the characters is not milking at all, and if you think it is then........ your an idiot
Jun 30, 12:38 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to MegamiRem
@RobertBobert Didn't get your last point. You mean adapting the training arc in 8 episodes? If yes then it's actually more than 8 episodes as the first episode was double length and so is the last episode. Epi 7 was extended too by like 10 minutes. So it's roughly 10.5 episode length around a full cour.
@MegamiRem It just caused some debate about how they could adapt the manga after Train, since the arcs seemed too uneven to just make a bunch of seasons.
Jun 30, 12:48 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to Playcool
@Enbu_Kirikaze The joke is that the mangaka didnt follow that route at all, ended it when she wanted and felt the best, and UFO was like, you crazy WOMAN?! SHIT we gotta do something about it.
Filler season and movie trilogy for maximum milking.

I don't mind seeing the movies in the cinema thought, but waiting for each would be a pain, so I might only go see the last one in the cinema, and wait for the first two, to binge them, and then get that ultimate experience with the final movie.
@Playcool The waiting between the movies is what worries me. With the Mugen train arc it was fine since it was a single relatively short arc, but with the Infinite Fortress it's going to be very tedious to wait years for them to come since they're connected. At the very least they will no doubt look spectacularly.
Jun 30, 12:55 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Enbu_Kirikaze
@Playcool The waiting between the movies is what worries me. With the Mugen train arc it was fine since it was a single relatively short arc, but with the Infinite Fortress it's going to be very tedious to wait years for them to come since they're connected. At the very least they will no doubt look spectacularly.
@Enbu_Kirikaze Why I waited till last moment to watch heavens feel trilogy. (Gave in before the third one lol.)
Jun 30, 1:41 PM

Feb 2022
Wow! Incredible news.
Jun 30, 2:12 PM

Apr 2012
I finished watching the season. Don't tell me that they will endlessly fight Muzan in this endless labyrinth castle for all three films.
Jun 30, 2:14 PM
Sep 2023
Will all the three movies release together or one each year?
Jun 30, 3:06 PM

Oct 2013
Brilliant. To be fair, it's the best way to adapt this arc, due to its specific structure. Episodic format could do the work, sure, but dividing certain sub-plots of the Infinity Fortress arc into several movies can not only offer top-notch visuals, audio and flow, but also provide the best possible portrayal of said sub-plots, with everything they have to offer (action and non-action scenes).
Jun 30, 3:13 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to MegamiRem
@Enbu_Kirikaze Why I waited till last moment to watch heavens feel trilogy. (Gave in before the third one lol.)
@MegamiRem Must have been hell for sure. I don't have patience to wait that much lol.
Jun 30, 3:47 PM

May 2021
Reply to thebrentinator24
I remember joking about this happening as a meme but tbh I'm not surprised this is the route they're going. Doing this arc in movie format will probably hype up the fandom even more than Mugen Train, so if we thought Mugen Train killed it at the box office, oh man this is going to be cold-blooded murder. This arc is 47 chapters so each movie could adapt roughly 15 or 16 chapters, probably with, I imagine, some added scenes to stretch out some fights. Now my only question is, what about the Sunrise Countdown arc? As we can see, they've been adapting this series arc by arc since after S1, so I'm wondering if they'll do a short TV season to adapt the last of it after these movies, since there's no indication that they'll do that arc as part of these movies. Or shit, they might do another movie or two lol 😭

RandomPerson9348 said:

Oh absolutely lol, if it was solely up to ufotable they would probably just do a regular TV season but it's Aniplex and Shueisha calling the shots, so of course they're going to go with the option that brings in the most 🤑🤑🤑🤑 yea it sucks for us as the consumers, but I can't fault companies for doing what any company would do with a profitable IP like Demon Slayer: find any possible way to maximize said profits.
thebrentinator24 said:
if it was solely up to ufotable they would probably just do a regular TV season but it's Aniplex and Shueisha calling the shots

You are aware that studios are neither charities nor slaves, right? Ufotable is as greedy as both Aniplex and Shueisha since they agreed to this business model aka milk the franchise as much as possible. You people think for some reason that studios are like some small game studios that are mostly driven by passion to create things and not profit. Is this naïve mindset a new trend or something because I have seen it increase lately ... mostly after the attention seeker whiteknights started fighting MAPPA
YubisoftJun 30, 3:53 PM

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jun 30, 3:50 PM

May 2021
Reply to 3inPunisher
Its so funny seeing some people say that UFO is milking Demon slayer, if this was a different source material, yall would be celebrating. Adding additional scenes to flesh out the characters is not milking at all, and if you think it is then........ your an idiot
@3inPunisher In other words you can't counter their comments >you became salty >and then so you started posting nonsense for attention ?

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jun 30, 3:51 PM

Jun 2014
Reply to Yubisoft
thebrentinator24 said:
if it was solely up to ufotable they would probably just do a regular TV season but it's Aniplex and Shueisha calling the shots

You are aware that studios are neither charities nor slaves, right? Ufotable is as greedy as both Aniplex and Shueisha since they agreed to this business model aka milk the franchise as much as possible. You people think for some reason that studios are like some small game studios that are mostly driven by passion to create things and not profit. Is this naïve mindset a new trend or something because I have seen it increase lately ... mostly after the attention seeker whiteknights started fighting MAPPA
@Yubisoft Yes I'm aware ufotable probably has some say in these decisions but most likely not nearly as much as Aniplex or Shueisha.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 30, 5:45 PM
Mar 2022
MegamiRem said:
RandomPerson9348 said:

Well yeah movie trilogy means we'll have wait longer but that takes us back to the better quality point as they'll get more time to work on it compared to a continuous 1/2 cour season. Also no it won't adapt the sunrise arc.

I couldn't care less about waiting. Let them take 10 years to animate it. I'll wait.

To me, it's about the integrity of the art form, which is being destroyed by these greedy producers.

KnY has a really talented team working on it with a lot of potential, but ig who cares about giving the manga the most respectful treatment possible as long as the audience can have 20 extra minutes of sakuga and the producers can get a couple more billion yen in their pockets.

And no, I'm not talking about how much satisfaction the animators get out of it. Of course they will. They're doing a great job. I'm talking about how they're being forced to handle the storytelling because of it.

I understand that most people won't care and will think I'm just ranting. And yes, they'll be right. But as someone who's been an artist for more than a decade now, stuff like this has a different impact on me. I'm actively seeing one of the few good things humanity has left being destroyed by people who understand nothing of it.
Jun 30, 8:56 PM

Jan 2012
I don´t like it cause that means Western fans has to wait almost half a year for the movie to come to them. I hope they eventually make a tv version of these movies like they did with Mugen Train.
How I love a game
Jun 30, 10:03 PM

Aug 2010
I know they're milking it, but at least we know these are going to look amazing.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Yesterday, 4:07 AM

Aug 2020
Kimetsu no Yaiba will surely end in who knows when

Yesterday, 6:26 AM
Dec 2019
I just hope this doesn't turn into AOT final season (dragged out for years to come.)
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
people are mostly being serious here but I just wanna admire how pretti Giyu looks 💕

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Magic Knight Rayearth' Gets New Anime Project

DatRandomDude - 12 hours ago

27 by deg »»
16 minutes ago

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for July

Aiimee - Yesterday

1 by nachomaxo1 »»
19 minutes ago

» Manga 'Clevatess' Gets TV Anime

Nioxys - 2 hours ago

3 by CocoaGalaxy »»
35 minutes ago

» 'Special Kid Factory' Unveils Additional Staff

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

10 by deg »»
55 minutes ago

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Production Staff, Main Cast, First Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Feb 6

9 by davidyodo24 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.