Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
Another episode of Ten causing mischief this season. This feels like clockwork at this point lmao

Lum getting a heart on her head is the most Lum thing ever. Literally a capture the heart segment with a twist of being electrocuted LOL. Another one of those bizarre episode that tosses common sense out the window.
May 23, 9:25 AM

Nov 2007
new visual
new casts
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/574612
tsubasaloverMay 30, 9:26 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 23, 11:40 AM

Jan 2018
Damn. I did not expect Ryunosuke's fight with her dad and Lum getting spanked by her dad would make the cut in the first part. Tho interestingly, the reason for Lum getting spanked was changed from her firing her dad's rifle to frying a microwave. It feels like an inconsistent form of censorship since we've seen baby Lum handling a rocket launcher before.

Lum's Wrath was a good adaptation. The only thing it was really missing was Ataru playing Ten-nis like in the original.

Steal My Heart is a cute chapter. We got more Ran in it which is always a win. And we got to see Lum's "ultimate expression of love" which is nearly electrocuting Ataru to death lol.

I kinda like this adaptation of Catch the Heart/Steal My Heart better. The reason is that the OVA added a bunch of shit that totally went against the characters of Ataru and Lum.

Boy oh boy. I was NOT expecting the post-credits scene to just be a lengthy prologue to the Boy Meets Girl arc. A lot of it was original actually. It's finally happening.

But before that, they actually added the Ultra-Colorful Couple's Look chapter in it and turned it into "Ataru and Lum's usual shenanigans." While that's fine and all, I really wish we got a complete adaptation of that story. The ending of that story is legitimately wholesome and it'd be a shame if they just completely sweep it under the rug.

It's possible that they'll adapt the rest of the chapter in the next episode. But considering I've been blue-balled by the Remake more than a few times I'm keeping my expectations low.

Also, long time no see Benten and Oyuki. At least they tried to give you two a bit more screentime...
0451Jun 8, 12:03 AM
May 23, 11:41 AM

Jan 2018

"Boy Meets Girl

Final chapter visual released

Lum's profile is drawn large, and in her eyes is Ataru in his running uniform... ★★

Witness the conclusion of Ataru and Lum's game of tag."

The final arc is officially here. It still feels like just yesterday when the Remake was first announced. The ending feels too soon.

It feels strange to say goodbye to the same series for the 3rd time. But I'm glad that it happened.
May 23, 12:28 PM
Aug 2022
I've been vocal about how much I despise Catch the heart and I'm gonna go at it again.

There are basically 3 ways Lum can love someone:

A. naturally like she does for Ataru. She doesn't act like completely head over heels for him... She just loves him and is willing to do a lot for his sake but can be pretty toxic

B. naturally + the heart's power, which makes her reach "maximum love" so she zaps him

C. random guy grabs her heart i.e Kosuke or Megane in the og. She gets entirely infatuated, acting all cute and shy. In that state she would probably never be angry or zap them and would always see to their best interests, as long as they hold her heart.

And. It. Just. Sucks. Artistically, narratively, creatively.

How does showing a background character get the most enviable reaction from the main girl help build the romance aspect of this show?

Not sure the attempted kiss and minute-long blushing for Megane in the Catch the Heart OVA is the worst anymore. And not going into the fact she can be "passed along" with her heart and all the implications this has. This story treats her like a stupid puppet.

There is a chapter in the Manga where people are controlled by pears that make them be attracted to each other. Sakura gets a pear on her head and Ataru gets the other one so technically they should be in love. But Sakura wants NONE of this and just repels Ataru anyway. If Sakura under a spell has the willpower to push back Ataru, then... why doesn't Lum have it to do the same to Kosuke? For the sake of her husband who's right next by her? This is so ironic, after all that time she's been going around screaming Darling this and that and what she demands from him.

And it hurts my soul because I love Lum. I don't love her only because she's "adorable". I love her because her loyalty to Ataru is very deterministic. She's an icon wife. She doesn't fall for the hottest guy at the party, all she cares about is her Darling. She can be trusted. She traverses parallel universes for him. There's a chase in Movie 3 to save him that's just epic. In the og series Mendo tries to exploit her amnesia to convince her that they're lovers and she says NO THAT AIN'T WORKING. All of this is made completely insignificant by Catch the heart. Because we've been told twice now that if a random guy on a street targets her with something "supernatural", which this universe has in bags, she loses her integrity and has no mechanism on her own to overcome it.

Thankfully I'm one of the only 2-3 people in the world to have this opinion.

Enjoy this guys, personally I had semi dropped the show during the previous Cour and that's it.
Seawolf43Jun 4, 8:21 PM
May 23, 2:40 PM

Feb 2020
Poor Lum 🥺🤏
May 23, 2:41 PM

Jan 2012
Was there any news on new installment in Kimagure Orange ROad series? Cause girl with curly hair who appeared several times here looks like Madoka in early drawings
May 23, 4:26 PM

Sep 2016
That was really funny how everyone fell in love with the teacher and he started skipping class XD
May 23, 5:15 PM

Feb 2019
Solid episode all around as usual, first half with Ten was meh as per his episodes. But the second half’s adaptation of “catch the heart” was good and had a lot of funny moments with the whole school falling in love. We’re entering the endgame for Urusei Yatsura now and that set up for the Boy meets world arc at the end of the episode was great.

I’m both excited to see what David Production cook up for this final arc and extremely sad because there’s only 4 episodes left. I remember when this was first announced and the first episode dropped. Felt like we had so much stuff to look forward to now it’s nearing the end 😭

The last arc looks like it’s gonna be a very serious departure from the lighthearted comedy we’re used to. Will Ataru finally leave the streets alone and realise what he got?
Marinate1016May 23, 5:38 PM
May 23, 6:43 PM

Aug 2017
Two very cool episodes that capture the humorous character of Urusei Yatsura very well.

I'm a bit surprised that "Lum's Wrath" is being adapted again so shortly before the end, because the chapter was already implemented very faithfully in the 80s version. The 80s version is actually 1:1 the same, just with additional original scenes. Given the limited number of episodes, I would have preferred an unadapted chapter or a chapter that was only inadequately adapted from the original series. But so be it. Of course it's also nice to experience the whole story in modern animation - it's easy to compare chapters like this.

“Ten is stupid” I sometimes hear. But I have to say that here - even if the character is of course designed to be annoying - he also shows his likeable side. I also like how different character combinations are played here (the scene with Ten and Mendo, for example, is absolutely hilarious)

"Steal My Heart" is also an absolute classic and especially in the scene at the beginning with Ran in the fantasy forest you realize once again how brilliant DavidProduction's animations are. The rich colors, plus the background music. Ran is always good for a laugh and her reaction here is pure gold.😂

Lum's "ultimate affection" is also very funny.
And then “Ultracolorful Couple” as a hidden track, so to speak. I wouldn't have thought of it since it wasn't announced in that form at all.
0451 said:
I really wish we got a complete adaptation of that story. The ending of that story is legitimately wholesome and it'd be a shame if they just completely sweep it under the rug.
Hopefully we'll get the punch line next week.
Although I found it a bit strange that this chapter was paired with an original prologue to the final arc. Merging two unrelated chapters was more of a feature of the 80s series and here I found myself switching back and forth a bit too much between "Ultracolorful Couple" and "Boy Meets Girl". But it's not bad, it was just unusual.

Next week the start of our last trip. And apparently a pretty faithful one, as a whole 4 episodes are spent on it. Something really big is coming to us.😍
May 23, 6:52 PM

Apr 2022
ataru is a professional instigator lmao bro was trying his best to gaslight lum into getting mad at ten over the scarf. the heart stealing bit was really fun, all the boys in the class lining up fo their teacher lmfaoo i wish that bit was longer. seems they're cooking with the next arc, damn i don't want this to end. btw the visuals looked amazing as usual.
May 23, 7:33 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Yeah, I’m definitely a much bigger fan of both of the bits in this episode in the OG, they were fun here in the remake of course, loved hearing Lum’s new VA say that she super loves Ataru while giving him a shock lol, and some of the great moments from the Ten focused part made it in here, but both of these once again suffered from feeling a bit too short, especially the heart stealing part, it feels like that one ended without any satisfaction at all, not even the satisfaction of everything turning to chaos lol, i remember the OVA going absolutely wild. And they unfortunately didn’t get my favorite part of the Ten bit, and I figured they wouldn’t since it involved Megane and the gang, and the remake being more manga accurate means their amazing scenes weren’t making it in. But once again, these were still a lot of fun, these issues don’t hurt it too much for me.

And I was a bit surprised to see the Final Chapter stuff is starting in this episode, I remember the movie having some very similar stuff at the start with the flashback to Lum as a kid and her dad discovering an old guy in the closet, it may have cut this episode’s bits short but I’m glad this means this final arc will have room to breath, I’m really looking forward to seeing how they do it.
May 23, 8:07 PM

Dec 2022
heheh Lum is scary when she's angry
one does not simply feel Lum's pure expression of love and survive
those were some sweet ass coats
the Sith come for Lum!
May 23, 8:34 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to Seawolf43
I've been vocal about how much I despise Catch the heart and I'm gonna go at it again.

A. naturally like she does for Ataru. She doesn't act like completely head over heels for him... She just loves him and is willing to do a lot for his sake but can be pretty toxic

B. naturally + the heart's power, which makes her reach "maximum love" so she zaps him

C. random guy grabs her heart i.e Kosuke or Megane in the og. She gets entirely infatuated, acting all cute and shy. In that state she would probably never be angry or zap them and would always see to their best interests, as long as they hold her heart.

How does showing a background character get the most enviable reaction from the main girl help build the romance aspect of this show?

Not sure the attempted kiss and minute-long blushing for Megane in the Catch the Heart OVA is the worst anymore. And not going into the fact she can be "passed along" with her heart and all the implications this has. This story treats her like a stupid puppet.

There is a chapter in the Manga where people are controlled by pears that make them be attracted to each other. Sakura gets a pear on her head and Ataru gets the other one so technically they should be in love. But Sakura wants NONE of this and just repels Ataru anyway. If Sakura under a spell has the willpower to push back Ataru, then... why doesn't Lum have it to do the same to Kosuke? For the sake of her husband who's right next by her? This is so ironic, after all that time she's been going around screaming Darling this and that and what she demands from him.

And it hurts my soul because I love Lum. I don't love her only because she's "adorable". I love her because her loyalty to Ataru is very deterministic. She's an icon wife. She doesn't fall for the hottest guy at the party, all she cares about is her Darling. She can be trusted. She traverses parallel universes for him. There's a chase in Movie 3 to save him that's just epic. In the og series Mendo tries to exploit her amnesia to convince her that they're lovers and she says NO THAT AIN'T WORKING. All of this is made completely insignificant by Catch the heart. Because we've been told twice now that if a random guy on a street targets her with something "supernatural", which this universe has in bags, she loses her integrity and has no mechanism on her own to overcome it.

Enjoy this guys, personally I had semi dropped the show during the previous Cour and that's it.
@Seawolf43 Catch the Heart is like that in the manga too (the OAV I agree they kind of overcooked it, it was a little bit too extreme and campy even for my standards), not sure why you are so furious about this specific story - ok it's clearly not Rumiko's best one, also it's been done over and over (through love potions, possession from space foxes or those pear fruits you pointed out, etc.), but still ...
May 23, 8:49 PM

Jun 2019
PEAK IS BACK!!!!!!
May 23, 8:52 PM

May 2015
As Ten learned, you can't go to anyone in Urusei Yatsura for advice. Their all eccentric in their own ways. Sakura might be a rare exception.

The catch the heart second half was another fun romp when mischief meets Ataru's class. You can't trust them with anything supernatural!
May 23, 9:19 PM

May 2019
Can't help but felt very disappointed with the announcement of the final arc for the last 4 episodes. We hardly get specific stories about Atalum's relationship progression maybe except for Lum cow and Dreamaker. There are still so many unadapted chapters that I want to see and yet they pick the one that has already been done. Glad to see Ran is back but I wish they have adapted their reconciliation during Ran being sick because that was really important for their friendship. They adapted Ultra colourful couple chapter but have to cut short the very wholesome ending of Ataru saving Lum for the final arc prologue :( Time flies and here we are reaching the boy meet girl arc. The really good chapters that they have adapted was very few and far between and honestly it sucks that the remake could have picked the better ones in these two cours even then two cours are also not enough.

May 23, 11:13 PM

Jan 2018
Reply to Seawolf43

@Seawolf43 I understand why you and many others hate this chapter but dropping the show right before its ending just because of one episode is a bit extreme, don't you think?
May 23, 11:23 PM
Aug 2022
Reply to Helstar
@Seawolf43 Catch the Heart is like that in the manga too (the OAV I agree they kind of overcooked it, it was a little bit too extreme and campy even for my standards), not sure why you are so furious about this specific story - ok it's clearly not Rumiko's best one, also it's been done over and over (through love potions, possession from space foxes or those pear fruits you pointed out, etc.), but still ...
@Helstar I don't interpret those manga panels in the same say. I see a girl who's shy and embarrassed, but she doesn't lose all composure doing noises that sound like she'd fit in a cheap ecchi show. That's just not Lum to me. And the letter in the manga is presented with a "TA-DA!" which doesn't give those sort of vibes at all.
May 23, 11:28 PM
Aug 2022
Reply to 0451
@Seawolf43 I understand why you and many others hate this chapter but dropping the show right before its ending just because of one episode is a bit extreme, don't you think?
@0451 Yeah, I was only following Cour 4 from the content online but hadn't watched most of the episodes yet. Even Cour 3 I skipped some non AtaLum eps. It doesn't hook me quite as much as the original but glad it has its fans.
May 24, 1:14 AM
Oct 2019
Ten should know better you can't just ask random people for advise, maybe except from Sakura sensei.

Steal my heart shenanigans.
Poor Teacher just watch to teach in his class.

But oh boy that long post credit scene was a prologue to the Final "Boy Meet Girl" Arc??
Is this really the end of Urusei Yatsura??
I feel like it's gonna be emotional just looking from the new Key Visual.
May 24, 8:35 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Kinda cruel of Ataru using the destroyed scarf as an excuse. Still it would do Ten chan good to know how to apologize to someone. Having the apology on the shirt that Ataru was wearing though was fun. The sweet that would cause you to fall for the one that has the heart was a pretty neat idea. Nice to see Oyuki again after so long. Curious at what the dark universe would bring to the story.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 9:51 AM
Jan 2024
I found the first part of the episode very boring and the second improved but they don't even show us how it ended.
May 24, 10:30 AM
Mar 2015
Too many unscrupulous people out there
May 24, 11:14 AM
Sep 2018
Love how all the boys went after the teacher and Ten trying to make a proper apology to Ataru 😆

Btw damn after the ending credits, the whole thing went totally dark like it seems Lum is going to be forced into an arranged marriage!
May 24, 12:43 PM
May 2023
After the credits there's about 7 and a half minutes leading into an adaptation of the 5th Urusei Yatsura movie, Urusei Yatsura The Final Chapter which was teased in the 2nd OP of this season. Since the movie is supposed to bring closure to the series I reckon there won't be a 3rd season after the remake adapting the 5th movie.
May 24, 7:03 PM

Jul 2016
Wow, one dude in this forum section just imploded because Lum spend 10 seconds making eyes to an NPC while being under a spell. Man, waifu culture is crazy.

So, we're gonna enter the final arc despite the main couple's dynamic not having changed one bit? Uhm... okay. Let's see.
May 24, 7:30 PM
Oct 2019
Cute episode, I hope they finish the end part with Ataru, Lum, and the matching jackets. That has a really sweet ending in the manga!
May 25, 1:26 AM

Dec 2021
Ten's focus story? Boo. Mostly about him suffering? Yay.

But yeah, it's really the beginning of the end, huh? It's going to be sad to have to say goodbye for the third time now, but oh well.

May 25, 1:38 PM

Oct 2017
The candy part had me rolling, big F for sensei lmao. Lum and Ataru with their usual routine but looks like the main villains are here. With just 4 episodes left it's time for the final arc of the remake to begin.
May 26, 9:03 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
I almost fell for the ending sequence consdering that I had been quite satisfied with the episode. Ten's apology was cute but the students falling for Onsen and him not being able to catch a break was pretty funny. Now it seems like from the darkness will come the final arc of separation according to the ending card. We're on the last stretch.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
May 26, 12:38 PM

Jun 2019
Baby Ten trying to apologize to Lum was the cutest thing ever. I adore him so much. Lum also has such a nice heart. She can never get angry except for Ataru. LOL. The heart segment was funny as well.

But, it looks like the final arc is starting and it could be potentially dark. Can't wait for more. Hopefully, it's not too dark or sad.
May 27, 7:04 AM
Jul 2023
The 19th episode of the remake includes a film adaptation of chapter 166 (88 series of the original) in the anime and 354 (OVA "Catch the Heart" 1989), as well as a teaser for the long-running arch "Boy Meets Girl" to chapters 356 to 366 in general, this is the canonical finale of the entire "Urusei Yatsura".
It is still a pity that the remake is purely based on the manga, because there were many original ideas in the anime, which could rightfully be an excellent addition to the author's vision.
May 27, 11:16 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice episode!
The second shhort about the hearts and how ended was hilarious!!!
After the endind a new short that seems the starts of a new arc!!!
kekeke
May 27, 3:55 PM

Feb 2012
Classic misunderstanding as the source of comedy. Ataru wanting Ten to face repercussions, Lum thinks her Darling has finally started to open up, caring so much about the scarf she made being ruined. Later, Ten is absolutely at terrified at Lum practicing scolding him in private.
Ran's so impulsive to buy anything that can convince Rei to love her back. I thought Rei would turn narcissistic or something after consuming his own heart. It is only Ataru that Lum shocks. So even if she could romantically love anyone else, her ultimate expression of love to him is unique.

What are those ominous mushroom aliens up to, apparently Lum was tangled up in an unwanted engagement of her own. Right from her childhood.
Fortress_MaximusMay 27, 4:00 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 7, 11:09 AM

May 2015
The love candy party was hilarious, it killed me xD
Jun 8, 4:18 AM

May 2020
If anything, at least Ten has grown enough to think apologizing someone is a must after making a mistake.

Not even sure what that heart thing was even doing, but anyway, after 42 episodes of no progression, I'd love to see how they'll convince us about the main pair actually making a "good" pair.
Jun 9, 11:53 AM
Nov 2022
Pretty funny, I liked the sweet love part xd
Jun 13, 10:58 AM

Jul 2017
Lum making a scarf fo Ataru, to only have it burned by Ten due to his mischief, it may gain Ataru relationship points and give him reason to retaliate at Ten...but is it really worth the effort?

Ten wanting to seek advice from people for apologies, Cherry is just so into food, and Mendo tries all he can...to be funny as per usual. Forget Ryunosuke and her eccentric father, Lum doesn't even know how to be a parent, and try as much as she could rant on him, Ten understood her anger the most. Ultimately, Nurse Sakura has to tell Ten how to do so...and scribbling on Ataru's shirt shall do the trick,

Ran is once again being tricked into buying dubious candy to steal Rei's heart, though that sure...doesn't work in his tiger form. And when Ataru knows the secret of that when the candy is passed to Lum, the heart wearing on her head does respond quite differently, though one common denominator is stealing the hearts of whoever consumes the candies. Ataru literally making a prank out of it, and Onsen only makes the matter worse with the whole class etching after him.

The post-credits set up for the final arc of the All-Stars series, Ataru is just up to his tricks again courting ladies, though Lum's parents finding a capsule withholding an emissary from the Dark Dominion, as well as both her and Ran's past, it's all coming to a head.

Jul 1, 9:29 PM
Oct 2017
Idc what anybody says, I have always found Ten adorable. He's literally a little kid, comparable to little Lum in flashbacks. His relationship with Sakura is so cute too (big sis Sakura). I also like how Lum appreciated his sneaky apology 😁. I wish they would have done more with the heart candy because that's actually a pretty interesting concept, but oh well. Looks like we're moving into the endgame with that lengthy prolog leading into a big confrontation.
Sep 12, 10:34 PM
Aug 2022
Reply to SouthRzVa
Wow, one dude in this forum section just imploded because Lum spend 10 seconds making eyes to an NPC while being under a spell. Man, waifu culture is crazy.

So, we're gonna enter the final arc despite the main couple's dynamic not having changed one bit? Uhm... okay. Let's see.
@SouthRzVa Imploded, I love it! But to me it's the same as if Saitama started beating people up with two punches. Spell or not the character dies. I would actually prefer if it was taken seriously with a full story arc ending with the character's redemption rather than treated like a 10 second joke.

At least the manga doesn't bastardize Lum's behavior by making her do horny sounds for Kosuke... in my interpretation. Or try to kiss other dudes like in the OVA or the pachinko.

That said I know everyone loves this chapter but the little canon the series can pretend to have is negated by it imo. Urusei Yatsura has potions and candies in its trash. If that makes the main girl react more in seconds than she did in 40 eps of "romance", Idk why I'm watching this. And I can't imagine all the guys in town who want Lum not going after this for the rest of their lives until they succeed.
Seawolf43Sep 12, 10:42 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 15

54 by ArctiKFox »»
Sep 20, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 8

53 by ArctiKFox »»
Sep 19, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 1

38 by ArctiKFox »»
Sep 13, 12:15 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 20

93 by SouthRzVa »»
Sep 10, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 25

40 by ArctiKFox »»
Sep 6, 2:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.