Forum Settings
Forums

Will AI help reduce "crunch time" in the anime industry?

New
May 23, 12:22 AM

Sep 2022
Crunch time culture in animation, or simply "crunch culture," refers to a work environment where animators are required to work extended hours, often for weeks or even months, to meet tight deadlines and complete projects.

So, if AI is done right & successfully, would it help reduce crunch time in the anime industry?

In my opinion, I don't know.
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
May 23, 12:37 AM

Jun 2016
One area where I can see AI being of massive help is rotoscoping for both animation and live action photography (in fact AI powered tools are already used for rotoscoping/background removal in live action, not sure about animation) It's usually a very tedious process and AI has shown that it can do it fast and effective. A dedicated tool that can be fed with style sheets can be even more effective.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 23, 2:09 AM

Sep 2022
Reply to Theo1899
One area where I can see AI being of massive help is rotoscoping for both animation and live action photography (in fact AI powered tools are already used for rotoscoping/background removal in live action, not sure about animation) It's usually a very tedious process and AI has shown that it can do it fast and effective. A dedicated tool that can be fed with style sheets can be even more effective.
@Theo1899

Another person who sees the potential of AI?

Glad to see that!

Also, you're completely right.

You don't have to answer this, but do you think AI can be more helpful than harmful?
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
May 23, 2:37 AM

Jun 2016
Reply to GoatPieceLuffy
@Theo1899

Another person who sees the potential of AI?

Glad to see that!

Also, you're completely right.

You don't have to answer this, but do you think AI can be more helpful than harmful?
@GoatPieceLuffy I'm torn tbqh because I can see the potential especially in stuff like independent media productions, rotoscoping or the innovative way they used machine learning to drive mocap in the second Avatar movie to account for the differences in anatomy between the human actors and the aliens.
On the other hand, I know it's going to be exploited by people who just want things to be done cheap. You like this guy's pictures but don't want to pay him to draw you one for your fast fashion clothing line? Just feed his stuff into stable diffusion and let it spit out hundreds of pictures in the same style completely bypassing him.
This is why I really don't know how the future is going to play out and if the developnents in AI are going to be positive or negative in the long run. I also don't know if any legislation can help with the more "problematic" aspects of generative AI as you can't effectively ban widely available open source technology. I think we'll probably just have to adapt.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 23, 2:53 AM

Nov 2019
It has a lot of potential but it all depends on whether the production director approves of it. They have their own storyboarding and prefer to keep the plan in place
May 23, 2:56 AM

Jan 2009
only few talented animators that knows how to use ai will remain
May 23, 3:01 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Lol no, all it will do is reduce the number of workers needed. Those who don't get fired will still be required to crunch.
May 23, 3:09 AM

Sep 2022
Reply to BigBoyAdvance
Lol no, all it will do is reduce the number of workers needed. Those who don't get fired will still be required to crunch.
@BigBoyAdvance

Damn, if that's the case, that legitimately sucks.
May 23, 3:14 AM

Dec 2022
It can automate tasks like rotoscoping and background generation already, but there is also a degree of approximation in generative AI that's likely to result in inconsistencies on a frame-by-frame basis, at least in comparison to traditional animation. Though I'm still interested in seeing how AI animation techniques result in more distinctive stylisation on an artistic level.

๏ฝฒไน‡ๅˆ€ไน‡ไนƒๅฐบ๏พ‘ไน‡
ใŠŽ ใŠฐ
โ˜ฝ Shaded Horizon โ˜พ

May 23, 12:35 PM

Jul 2013
AI is just an epic fail. People, thinking that it will "fix" the world's problems, are really, really delusional.
May 23, 1:04 PM

Mar 2013
No. Predictions of a 15 hour work week were made in the presence of numerous technological advances for the last century, that theoretically should have lower the amount of time people spent working. However, this is a limited way of viewing work and technological in general. Work is partially a socially bonded and politicized mechanism, rather than just the result of the free market creating demand for positions and industries.

In short? The 40+ hour work week is partially a result of societal attitudes and existing systems of governance, rather than strictly a necessity across all industries. It is not a technological issue, it is a social one.

I agree that companies will likely just cut down on people working rather than pay people a full wage for what they feel is less deserving of it. If we only need 10 people to spend 10 hours drawing frames, then people, not the hours, going to be cut, Comfort of the worker is a secondary consideration, and work is perceived as something needing to be strenuous to be considered work worthy of pay.
May 23, 2:21 PM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Reply to PeripheralVision
No. Predictions of a 15 hour work week were made in the presence of numerous technological advances for the last century, that theoretically should have lower the amount of time people spent working. However, this is a limited way of viewing work and technological in general. Work is partially a socially bonded and politicized mechanism, rather than just the result of the free market creating demand for positions and industries.

In short? The 40+ hour work week is partially a result of societal attitudes and existing systems of governance, rather than strictly a necessity across all industries. It is not a technological issue, it is a social one.

I agree that companies will likely just cut down on people working rather than pay people a full wage for what they feel is less deserving of it. If we only need 10 people to spend 10 hours drawing frames, then people, not the hours, going to be cut, Comfort of the worker is a secondary consideration, and work is perceived as something needing to be strenuous to be considered work worthy of pay.
@PeripheralVision

A mindless parrot of David Graeber, I see.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
May 23, 2:22 PM

Mar 2008
They might reduce number of people hired or increase the amount produced or cut their wages unless they were just doing this without the studios knowing.

PeripheralVision said:

The average work hours even varied a lot through time rather than a consistent reduction like many would wrongly claim.
https://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/rauch/worktime/hours_workweek.html
May 23, 2:28 PM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Believe it or not, to make a successful product still requires a lot of work, even with AI. AI by itself produces actual fever dreams of incomprehensible nonsense. This was just one guy making stuff, compared to a company, but it should give you a good idea.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
May 23, 2:33 PM

Mar 2013
Reply to DreamWindow
@PeripheralVision

@DreamWindow

I believe there is a quite a bit of truth in what he said and written. I mean, if I had to design a society to transition from one where people worked a certain number of hours and paid based on those hours to where a majority of people are working less while still being what are called living wages, it would be a complete nightmare.

It is no secret that in some industry, employees often fought against automation because the truth of the matter is that people would be laid off, and honestly? It is just much easier to either put off automation or keep the hours the same regardless, but this is just conditional UBI with extra steps. It shows in our rhetoric.

I am offering a simplified version here, but I don't think he is actually wrong to suggest that part of our attitude towards working is societally based. Many parts of our culture are. Is there any significant different between a 17 year old and an 18 year old? Yet so many more people pretend an 18 year old is so much more significantly acceptable than 17 year olds.
May 23, 2:38 PM

Oct 2013
Sure...By completely replacing humans, which is exactly what most big companies would do if given the chance, rather than using it as just another tool.
May 23, 3:00 PM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
@DreamWindow

I believe there is a quite a bit of truth in what he said and written. I mean, if I had to design a society to transition from one where people worked a certain number of hours and paid based on those hours to where a majority of people are working less while still being what are called living wages, it would be a complete nightmare.

It is no secret that in some industry, employees often fought against automation because the truth of the matter is that people would be laid off, and honestly? It is just much easier to either put off automation or keep the hours the same regardless, but this is just conditional UBI with extra steps. It shows in our rhetoric.

I am offering a simplified version here, but I don't think he is actually wrong to suggest that part of our attitude towards working is societally based. Many parts of our culture are. Is there any significant different between a 17 year old and an 18 year old? Yet so many more people pretend an 18 year old is so much more significantly acceptable than 17 year olds.
@PeripheralVision

Well, right, because one does not "design" society. Society is merely a collection of individuals acting in their own self interest. A grand design or planned economy is not necessary - people will seek out employment and wages of their own volition. The assumption with AI is that it will automatically cost people their job, and that UBI is necessary to combat this, which is just not true. While it's true that it will cost some people jobs, the same can be said for literally any technological advancement. People move on, and they find new things to do. No involvement or societal design is needed.

That's interesting that you say they "fight against automation", because depending on who you ask, the corporations benefit greatly from automation. If that's the case, then why are they bothering hiring people in the first place? It's ridiculous to say that they are "putting off" automation, when there is nothing holding back companies from fully implementing it, if they really wanted too. Perhaps automation is not a factor, perhaps they are hiring the workers because their work is valuable to them in some way. In the same way that the worker is seeking out employment because the payment is valuable to them. This is what has always happened, and it's unlikely that there will be such a drastic shift that UBI is necessary.
DreamWindowMay 23, 3:09 PM

May 23, 3:34 PM

Mar 2013
Reply to DreamWindow
@PeripheralVision

Well, right, because one does not "design" society. Society is merely a collection of individuals acting in their own self interest. A grand design or planned economy is not necessary - people will seek out employment and wages of their own volition. The assumption with AI is that it will automatically cost people their job, and that UBI is necessary to combat this, which is just not true. While it's true that it will cost some people jobs, the same can be said for literally any technological advancement. People move on, and they find new things to do. No involvement or societal design is needed.

That's interesting that you say they "fight against automation", because depending on who you ask, the corporations benefit greatly from automation. If that's the case, then why are they bothering hiring people in the first place? It's ridiculous to say that they are "putting off" automation, when there is nothing holding back companies from fully implementing it, if they really wanted too. Perhaps automation is not a factor, perhaps they are hiring the workers because their work is valuable to them in some way. In the same way that the worker is seeking out employment because the payment is valuable to them. This is what has always happened, and it's unlikely that there will be such a drastic shift that UBI is necessary.
DreamWindow said:
Well, right, because one does not "design" society. Society is merely a collection of individuals acting in their own self interest.

This is very much true, so I often found it confusing how people believe a free market would lead to some ideal equilibrium where everyone's needs is taken care of. In fact, much of actual capitalist writing does not pretend inefficiencies do not exist in free-market societies or that there are not losers in a free-market economy, but rather that such an economy are the best (But not perfect) means of allocating limited resources.

This is a bit more difficult to believe since ideal free markets generally have to have among other things a low barrier to entry and perfect knowledge; my current workplace is filled with administrative oversight that quite frankly stifles the work of my peers and myself, and I have to wonder how much do they understand the intricacies of what I need for my position? It is Chinese telephone, something I witness in the private sector.

The ideal free market rarely exists anyway. If I told some of my higher ups I needed something or someone to be hired, far too many of them would accept it unquestionably or scrutinize me for it. Heck, if I were in those positions I'd be the same. Ayn Rand wrote that intellect drove the economy, and I have to say I disagree with that notion for the most part.

The assumption with AI is that it will automatically cost people their job, and that UBI is necessary to combat this, which is just not true.

This is definitely where we differ in our conditions Dream, because if I agreed here we would agree everywhere else. I believe there will come a point where automation and AI will render a substantial part of the population without a job. Perhaps this sounds elitist, but not everyone should go to college and pursue degrees in fields that do not have the job market for it.

You are rational in being skeptical based off of past history, but I think this idea of AI costing people their jobs has intuitive merit; technological advancements have often led to new industries. Horse-drawn carriages replaced by automobile factory workers, train conductors becoming flight attendants.

I think the distinct difference here with AI not seen with other technologies is that while AI and automation will help create jobs, those jobs will be far fewer in number and much more sophisticated. I look at my old workplace and I think "if we replace people with automation, where will all my former coworkers go"? I don't think the union guys I work with are being mistaken or luddites. Like anyone else, they fight for their own survival.

It is in fact, more akin to outsourcing, rather than a mere technological advancement. We have seen how outsourcing devastated various countries.

I mean, I don't know where people who load trucks and drive them will go if they are replaced by machines that are far more efficient and can do those jobs independently. Other industries, perhaps, but what if those industries become automated as well? How is this functionally different than outsourcing to China, which did cost a loss of jobs in America? It might have lead to gains in China, but what if instead of the Chinese, it was robots? Now no humans have gained these loss jobs, and the jobs created as a result of this new industry are not enough to replace what has been loss.

I parrot Graeber on these points because I cannot think of a better answer than to fight against losing work hours. Which is a key part of the Teamsters' platform; those of us who work at these factories or warehouses are guaranteed a certain number of hours in a deal reached with management, because otherwise workers would be paid far less.

From management perspective, more hours are seen as more tolerable than higher per hour wages.

Well, right, because one does not "design" society. Society is merely a collection of individuals acting in their own self interest.

So going back to this, I am not entirely sure how we would restructure society so that people would work less, even if there is less work to be done or if things could be done more efficiently. It is a nightmare to think about, and I can understand, based on my own experiences as a blue-collar boy, why we all want to do the least possible to disturb our status quo.
PeripheralVisionMay 23, 3:40 PM
May 23, 4:07 PM
Jul 2018
I still prefer analog cel animation over digital...

AI will help studios slap together more cookie cutter anime at speeds like never before.

I could probably enjoy AI animation, but I know I won't be able to respect it.
May 23, 5:30 PM

Jul 2016
It'd be nice to be optimistic but I it's just going reduce the people making it and have those people crunch still.
May 23, 6:16 PM

Jul 2021
Even if the use of AI doubles the speed of anime production, the studios will simply take on double the projects and continue to make the animators crunch.

Or, as others have said, they'll fire half the staff and the remaining staff will be asked to continue the crunch.

I'm sure there have been many advances in technology that were supposed to improve the lives of the creatives in entertainment industries, but it's safe to say the business side has always adjusted to ensure that does not happen.
May 23, 6:19 PM

Oct 2014
I think if AI becomes more commonly used in the industry then production committees will just expect studios to make more anime. There's a lot of manga and LNs out there that could be made into anime so if a studio making 2 anime a season could make 3 with the help of AI then they'll probably need to if they want to stay competitive.
May 23, 7:02 PM
Dec 2021
Reply to DreamWindow
@PeripheralVision

@DreamWindow he’s right actually. If the work you do can be done by just about everyone and isn’t at the top of the hierarchy, then you won’t get paid as much as you would when the job is harder. Companies will cut down their employees and pay less to the remaining, or newly employed. If I am a animation company, I’ll go for the most profitable plan possible and hopefully it will be in a time when more people like you exist, when fewer people care
May 23, 7:02 PM
Aug 2018
I don't know about that. Even with AI, they'll probably still be overworked.
May 23, 7:24 PM

Dec 2020
Yes, correctly integrated it could help a lot of industries.

Though it shouldn't be used as a replacement for artists or animators. It may be cheaper and quicker, but (right now at least) generative ai can't create artwork better than a real human can in terms of skill and quality. And companies laying off workers because a computer can do their job quicker and cheaper and the cost of quality will not make anyone happy. Workers or consumers.

And anyone who genuinely cares for, and has a passion for the work their making, would rather choose a real person who can do a better quality job, than an ai who can do it a bit quicker.

Currently, ai works great as a tool to be used by people, not a replacement for them.
May 23, 7:30 PM
Dec 2021
Reply to DreamWindow
@PeripheralVision

@DreamWindow making baseless assumptions is not a good standing in an argument, you questioned and assumed. But I’ll answer some questions with actual facts.

The reason companies can’t replace workers yet is that they will get public backlash on it(check out those that have done so, most dropped off in popularity already) and also those automation won’t work properly without any human interaction from time to time. Many industries already use automation for batch production of products, but an engineer and an operator is needed to make sure it doesn’t worn out or eff up, and it does eff up, they just don’t talk about it. The third reason is because some jobs are just too complicated to be taken by AI, but when I mean complicated, I MEAN THERE’S NOT ENOUGH DATA TO STEAL FOR TRAINING THEIR AI MODELS. This is the most crucial, how can you make an AI model when training data is rare. We don’t have automatic driving trucks around because we don’t have enough driving data for training AI…..

However we do have a lot of pictures and videos and texts and audios on the internet that can be used. Hope you get the point. When data is rare, the AI models are too incompetent to fully replace humans.

Oh and the ‘fight against automation’ thing, Same with politics everywhere, people are too busy fighting each other to fight against the the ones with power, the corpos that profits off the whole thing. If a lot of people voice their opinions against such actions when it first started, we would have a different story here… rather than giving up and saying, ‘there’s nothing we could do.’, at least stalling them till we die is an option.
May 23, 7:39 PM

Jan 2022
In the sense that you can edit something in Gimp versus having to visit a literal darkroom.
May 24, 7:12 AM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
DreamWindow said:

This is very much true, so I often found it confusing how people believe a free market would lead to some ideal equilibrium where everyone's needs is taken care of. In fact, much of actual capitalist writing does not pretend inefficiencies do not exist in free-market societies or that there are not losers in a free-market economy, but rather that such an economy are the best (But not perfect) means of allocating limited resources.

This is a bit more difficult to believe since ideal free markets generally have to have among other things a low barrier to entry and perfect knowledge; my current workplace is filled with administrative oversight that quite frankly stifles the work of my peers and myself, and I have to wonder how much do they understand the intricacies of what I need for my position? It is Chinese telephone, something I witness in the private sector.

The ideal free market rarely exists anyway. If I told some of my higher ups I needed something or someone to be hired, far too many of them would accept it unquestionably or scrutinize me for it. Heck, if I were in those positions I'd be the same. Ayn Rand wrote that intellect drove the economy, and I have to say I disagree with that notion for the most part.

The assumption with AI is that it will automatically cost people their job, and that UBI is necessary to combat this, which is just not true.

This is definitely where we differ in our conditions Dream, because if I agreed here we would agree everywhere else. I believe there will come a point where automation and AI will render a substantial part of the population without a job. Perhaps this sounds elitist, but not everyone should go to college and pursue degrees in fields that do not have the job market for it.

You are rational in being skeptical based off of past history, but I think this idea of AI costing people their jobs has intuitive merit; technological advancements have often led to new industries. Horse-drawn carriages replaced by automobile factory workers, train conductors becoming flight attendants.

I think the distinct difference here with AI not seen with other technologies is that while AI and automation will help create jobs, those jobs will be far fewer in number and much more sophisticated. I look at my old workplace and I think "if we replace people with automation, where will all my former coworkers go"? I don't think the union guys I work with are being mistaken or luddites. Like anyone else, they fight for their own survival.

It is in fact, more akin to outsourcing, rather than a mere technological advancement. We have seen how outsourcing devastated various countries.

I mean, I don't know where people who load trucks and drive them will go if they are replaced by machines that are far more efficient and can do those jobs independently. Other industries, perhaps, but what if those industries become automated as well? How is this functionally different than outsourcing to China, which did cost a loss of jobs in America? It might have lead to gains in China, but what if instead of the Chinese, it was robots? Now no humans have gained these loss jobs, and the jobs created as a result of this new industry are not enough to replace what has been loss.

I parrot Graeber on these points because I cannot think of a better answer than to fight against losing work hours. Which is a key part of the Teamsters' platform; those of us who work at these factories or warehouses are guaranteed a certain number of hours in a deal reached with management, because otherwise workers would be paid far less.

From management perspective, more hours are seen as more tolerable than higher per hour wages.

So going back to this, I am not entirely sure how we would restructure society so that people would work less, even if there is less work to be done or if things could be done more efficiently. It is a nightmare to think about, and I can understand, based on my own experiences as a blue-collar boy, why we all want to do the least possible to disturb our status quo.
PeripheralVision said:

I would like to know which capitalist writers you are referring too. You mention Ayn Rand later in this post, but Ayn Rand is considered a hack in free market circles. I would recommend reading the works of Austrian economic writers, such as Murray Rothbard, or Hans-Herman Hoppe. They do a much better job explaining exactly why free markets are a preferable alternative, in my opinion, rather than merely an ambivalent appeal to the status quo.

A low barrier is very important, but "perfect knowledge" is not a requirement to be successful in a free market economy. Simply trying something new can often be enough for a new industry to flourish. It is having the freedom to experiment and try new things, that drives change, and economic development. And also the personal accountability for any losses.

What you are saying here does not have anything to do with the free market... your relationship with your employers / administrators does not have any bearing on what constitutes a "free market", a similar structure exists in state run companies, except that the difference is, the administrators in a state run company are merely the caretakers of capital, rather than the owner. The free market merely means that private ownership determines economic calculation. The reason why the free market is preferable is because the owners of capital can reap the rewards, or losses of their investments, rather than the taxpayer, which creates incentives for the creation of new jobs and wealth.

PeripheralVision said:

Under what pretext would this be any different from, say, the new industries created by the industrial revolution? How can you be so certain that this one, in particular, is the straw that breaks the camel's back, when history has shown that this usually is not the case? You admit that the advent of AI will create jobs, like any other technology, but it remains to be seen exactly what the ratio will be between jobs created and jobs taken. It could very well be the case that AI creates more jobs than it takes.

I understand the skepticism, it sucks to lose your job. But we have also seen what can happen if certain industries actually go past their expiration. This happened in India, with traditional crafts industries. It became a protected industry, and yet it greatly impacted the economic development of the country. The only ones who benefited where the ones who saw immunity status. So while it's also rational to want to protect your own hide, it often takes everyone else down with it if industries become cartelized. It's best to not fear change, but embrace it.

PeripheralVision said:

Is it considered outsourcing, to acquire new capital, and thus, automate certain parts of a job, then? For example, I used to work in a manufacturing plant. Many years before I started, there were not nearly as much machinery as there is now. Many jobs that used to be done by hand, are now done by machines. Of course, we could have all been welding every single part by hand, rather than merely reworking the parts that the robot has welded. But the trade off is that the work would become more strenuous, and we would likely need to work longer hours for less output.

I understand your skepticism, but what I think you are missing is that the industries that exist, and the amount of jobs that can be created are not fixed. It's not merely outsourcing. Moving jobs to China is simply moving jobs to already existing economies, and industries. The reason that they do that, is because the labour is less costly. However, the difference with the advent of new technologies is that it also creates new wealth, which means that there can now exist industries and jobs that had never been even remotely possible before. Simply shuffling jobs around to, you use China as an example, does not.

You might be right, that a management position might want to focus on the work hours, but this is because he wants to protect his position as well. If there were no people to manage, there would be no manager. But from the position of the company, the hours are largely determined by how much labour it would require to meet their quota. If they could cut down on hours because they have the capital to do so, they very well might. At that point, it would be a matter of the worker to decide whether or not he's satisfied with those new hours. I think a cut in hours would rub people the wrong way. It's very possible that they could fully replace us, if they wanted too. But it would appear that they still value labour of the worker. And also, because the worker also wants to protect their position. Which of course, is rational from each individual perspective.

PeripheralVision said:

Let's say all of our current industries become automated. The capital acquired by the companies can do the vast majority of the work that labourers used to do, and the company cuts back on hours, and increases wages to the point where they can now pay the workers a larger wage for less hours. In that instance, R&D could put their efforts into new projects, considering less hours would need to be spent on manufacturing their current project. This can be taken in multiple ways by the workers. I think a large portion of the workers would be dissatisfied with this outcome, despite the fact that it could potentially benefit them. There would likely be resistance, which, is fair enough. But depending on how things go, it could shape the way that the company decides to pursue different projects, as well as the level of automation.

It's interesting that you mention the status quo, as I feel my position to be quite different from the status quo. I cannot relate to some of the older workers I was working with who want things to be done the old way. It seems to run counter to the mindset of creative destruction, and instead favouring a "head down" worker bee mentality. Which, again, is fair enough, from their perspective. It's not in their interest to think about these kinds of things.
DreamWindowMay 24, 8:02 AM

May 24, 7:27 AM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Reply to Lawrencw
@DreamWindow making baseless assumptions is not a good standing in an argument, you questioned and assumed. But I’ll answer some questions with actual facts.

The reason companies can’t replace workers yet is that they will get public backlash on it(check out those that have done so, most dropped off in popularity already) and also those automation won’t work properly without any human interaction from time to time. Many industries already use automation for batch production of products, but an engineer and an operator is needed to make sure it doesn’t worn out or eff up, and it does eff up, they just don’t talk about it. The third reason is because some jobs are just too complicated to be taken by AI, but when I mean complicated, I MEAN THERE’S NOT ENOUGH DATA TO STEAL FOR TRAINING THEIR AI MODELS. This is the most crucial, how can you make an AI model when training data is rare. We don’t have automatic driving trucks around because we don’t have enough driving data for training AI…..

However we do have a lot of pictures and videos and texts and audios on the internet that can be used. Hope you get the point. When data is rare, the AI models are too incompetent to fully replace humans.

Oh and the ‘fight against automation’ thing, Same with politics everywhere, people are too busy fighting each other to fight against the the ones with power, the corpos that profits off the whole thing. If a lot of people voice their opinions against such actions when it first started, we would have a different story here… rather than giving up and saying, ‘there’s nothing we could do.’, at least stalling them till we die is an option.
Lawrencw said:

That's strange because the person I actually responded too didn't seem to have any problem with that. You are the one poisoning the well, here.

Lawrencw said:

Really? So, what you are saying is that they value human labour, because automation does not work properly without human involvement? That's interesting, because that just shows that there is still value in human labour. Making the claim that AI is a threat to the jobs rather moot. It sounds like this is not an issue.

Lawrencw said:

Yes, I perfectly understand. What you are saying is that human labour has a quality too it that is valuable to the employers. Which is why they are hiring them in the first place. That's kind of my point, in that, I feel the AI fear is overblown.

Your rhetoric contradicts what you are actually saying. If the corpos are the ones with all the power, they shouldn't have any reason to value human labour. But it's clear that they do value the labour of the worker, even by your own admission. The quarrels of the workers themselves is largely irrelevant, since most of them are only interested in doing the job they were assigned.
DreamWindowMay 24, 7:36 AM

May 24, 9:25 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to DreamWindow
PeripheralVision said:

I would like to know which capitalist writers you are referring too. You mention Ayn Rand later in this post, but Ayn Rand is considered a hack in free market circles. I would recommend reading the works of Austrian economic writers, such as Murray Rothbard, or Hans-Herman Hoppe. They do a much better job explaining exactly why free markets are a preferable alternative, in my opinion, rather than merely an ambivalent appeal to the status quo.

A low barrier is very important, but "perfect knowledge" is not a requirement to be successful in a free market economy. Simply trying something new can often be enough for a new industry to flourish. It is having the freedom to experiment and try new things, that drives change, and economic development. And also the personal accountability for any losses.

What you are saying here does not have anything to do with the free market... your relationship with your employers / administrators does not have any bearing on what constitutes a "free market", a similar structure exists in state run companies, except that the difference is, the administrators in a state run company are merely the caretakers of capital, rather than the owner. The free market merely means that private ownership determines economic calculation. The reason why the free market is preferable is because the owners of capital can reap the rewards, or losses of their investments, rather than the taxpayer, which creates incentives for the creation of new jobs and wealth.

PeripheralVision said:

Under what pretext would this be any different from, say, the new industries created by the industrial revolution? How can you be so certain that this one, in particular, is the straw that breaks the camel's back, when history has shown that this usually is not the case? You admit that the advent of AI will create jobs, like any other technology, but it remains to be seen exactly what the ratio will be between jobs created and jobs taken. It could very well be the case that AI creates more jobs than it takes.

I understand the skepticism, it sucks to lose your job. But we have also seen what can happen if certain industries actually go past their expiration. This happened in India, with traditional crafts industries. It became a protected industry, and yet it greatly impacted the economic development of the country. The only ones who benefited where the ones who saw immunity status. So while it's also rational to want to protect your own hide, it often takes everyone else down with it if industries become cartelized. It's best to not fear change, but embrace it.

PeripheralVision said:

Is it considered outsourcing, to acquire new capital, and thus, automate certain parts of a job, then? For example, I used to work in a manufacturing plant. Many years before I started, there were not nearly as much machinery as there is now. Many jobs that used to be done by hand, are now done by machines. Of course, we could have all been welding every single part by hand, rather than merely reworking the parts that the robot has welded. But the trade off is that the work would become more strenuous, and we would likely need to work longer hours for less output.

I understand your skepticism, but what I think you are missing is that the industries that exist, and the amount of jobs that can be created are not fixed. It's not merely outsourcing. Moving jobs to China is simply moving jobs to already existing economies, and industries. The reason that they do that, is because the labour is less costly. However, the difference with the advent of new technologies is that it also creates new wealth, which means that there can now exist industries and jobs that had never been even remotely possible before. Simply shuffling jobs around to, you use China as an example, does not.

You might be right, that a management position might want to focus on the work hours, but this is because he wants to protect his position as well. If there were no people to manage, there would be no manager. But from the position of the company, the hours are largely determined by how much labour it would require to meet their quota. If they could cut down on hours because they have the capital to do so, they very well might. At that point, it would be a matter of the worker to decide whether or not he's satisfied with those new hours. I think a cut in hours would rub people the wrong way. It's very possible that they could fully replace us, if they wanted too. But it would appear that they still value labour of the worker. And also, because the worker also wants to protect their position. Which of course, is rational from each individual perspective.

PeripheralVision said:

Let's say all of our current industries become automated. The capital acquired by the companies can do the vast majority of the work that labourers used to do, and the company cuts back on hours, and increases wages to the point where they can now pay the workers a larger wage for less hours. In that instance, R&D could put their efforts into new projects, considering less hours would need to be spent on manufacturing their current project. This can be taken in multiple ways by the workers. I think a large portion of the workers would be dissatisfied with this outcome, despite the fact that it could potentially benefit them. There would likely be resistance, which, is fair enough. But depending on how things go, it could shape the way that the company decides to pursue different projects, as well as the level of automation.

It's interesting that you mention the status quo, as I feel my position to be quite different from the status quo. I cannot relate to some of the older workers I was working with who want things to be done the old way. It seems to run counter to the mindset of creative destruction, and instead favouring a "head down" worker bee mentality. Which, again, is fair enough, from their perspective. It's not in their interest to think about these kinds of things.
Edit: Also thank you for your response. I was honestly not nearly as criticism about Graeber as I should have been. There are fact many things in the book that deserve criticism, such as his categorization of jobs, his data, as well as the limited scope of his book (Namely, what is a bullshit job). Honestly? It is a simplistic book that I still like but on a very complex topic.

Overall point? This was a fun diversion, but my main three ideas are that.

1. Automation and AI will make overall jobs scarcer.
  2. This requires a solution. Either UBI or pay people using existing work structures to pretend to work.
  3. The latter of the above already exists in some forms due to inefficiencies, both intentional and out of ignorance.

I would like to know which capitalist writers you are referring too. You mention Ayn Rand later in this post, but Ayn Rand is considered a hack in free market circles. I would recommend reading the works of Austrian economic writers, such as Murray Rothbard, or Hans-Herman Hoppe.

I will add them to the list (I am not well-read in this topic), but this is just economics 101. Most economists, like Gregory Mankiw, does not pretend that things such as externalities do not exist, or that resources are perfectly allocated, or that government has absolutely no role in mediating the economy. Yet too many people hyped up on AnCap-lite thinking, and think that all issues can be resolved with the free market, and are caused by a government that does not limit itself to copyright protection. (I am not accusing you of that, btw)

I will make my position clear. I think capitalism IS generally the best means of allocating resources, and the free-market is preferable to any command economy outside of very niche cases. Part of this is due to my belief that no governing body can perfectly understand such a complex system, and that allowing people to pursue their own self-interest (Rather, creating a system that accepts this axiom as true) is practical. I do not think it is perfect in the same way democracy is not perfect. I don't pretend democracy is perfect, but it is the best.

What has to be considered then is what the new technology intends to replace. Cars replacing buggies merely introduced one product for the next, or service. What does AI and automation hope to replace? Humans, it is in the name, "artificial". It is not meant to be merely a tool, but to "replace" humans, artificial intelligence.

It may create more jobs, but I am doubtful this would be the case when the point of such technology is in increasing efficiency by cutting down on human labor and error. What not requires batteries and months of experiments if not years requires only weeks, regarding a project on in-situ analysis of pharmaceutical production that I may actually work on in my current research.

Would it create more wealth? In a way I believe that, but what of the wealth distribution? People are not going to be paid to do "nothing". Yet the foundations of our society rests on people earning their keep. So it seems fairly likely that due to a number of reasons, jobs will be created, unintentionally or otherwise, that ultimately contribute little to their employer, and automation will contribute to the rise of this pseudo-work or to some form of UBI. Whatever the case, people will not remain unemployed and be happy.

This happens a ton in Japanese companies, and this is due to social attitudes regarding firing senior workers. Being given a fake position to be paid; often the worker is expected to retire, but firing or letting them go is out of the question. Such an attitude can persist in industries in different parts of the world.

My 4th belief then is the following.

• It takes considerably far less effort in some way to use existing systems of accomplishing something than having a newer system.

Historically, society has been iterations with slight variations between generations. So I believe in the scenario that if less "actual" work needs to be done overall, that our current system would be incentivized to create jobs rather than Friedman's negative tax rate, without really asking what those jobs even are or do. Workers are incentivized to do so because we cannot imagine anything better and we need to be fed, among other considerations. Employers are incentivized to do so for similar enough reasons related to cultural and societal values on work and prestige. Both have the general belief that unnecessary jobs are impossible to create.

It is a requirement for the "ideal" free market. If people could not compare prices, then proprietors of goods and services would have less reason to price their goods and services with the "true" market value. A similar sentiment applies to workplace structures, the consumer being the employer and the employee offering their services; a large enough one will introduce inefficiencies, such as unnecessary positions, partially due to the fact that no one is perfectly aware of what those under them and above needs (Though alternatively, this can be intentional, in the same way people on LinkedIn brag about being CEOs). Alternatively, corporate "accounting" can often neglect workers' comfort or long-term health, which are hard to account for.

Ex. If one is able to hire someone to do their job for them, two things need to remain.

1. Ability to do so for their position.
2. Ignorance of those above them.

In many positions, this is stupidly easy to do. Graeber has a point here. We assume jobs are created out of necessity, and therefore no unnecessary jobs exists. This is a circular logic. Administrative positions have exploded at private universities, after all, yet faculty hiring has not kept up. Paperwork is largely bullshit that keeps me from doing my actual current job. In the end, I see no functional difference in government bureaucracy and private corporate bureaucracy. Office Space is a great film.

The exact opposite has also occurred of "under hiring", though this is more worker externalities.

I worked in a warehouse by the Teamsters at UPS, which is older than Fedex and Amazon. This basically meant that unions were a largely integrated part of the company proper. The apprehension is there. No one should expect a company, a private entity, to bankroll us for doing nothing. So we largely resisted automation that is more commonplace in Amazon. We can do this because obviously, the immediate cost of a long-term strike and retrofitting warehouses would prevent the company being able to automate it in the first place.

Wealth does not simply come into existence, it is further consolidated in these examples. I mentioned Ayn Rand to bring up this point, because endeavor nor creativity are the drivers of the free market, but possession of wealth itself (Among others). What happens to the workers who are not getting paid? That wealth does not certainly go to them automatically, and all the more concerning for local and regional economies.

How could I argue a more prosperous future to the citizens of Detroit, Michigan, or Gary, Indiana? The same through line applies to automation that applies to outsourcing, the movement to labor less costly. There is more reason to understand AI as different than any other technology by its nature. It remains to be seen if all industries can be automated, but I certainly see many, such as my former position, as being susceptible to it.

It is a bit funny, how optimistic you are. In fact, I have heard many people, especially those who agree with Graeber or the idea of UBI, push forth this sentiment of yours regarding new industries; if we free ourselves from working long hours, can you imagine what we can do? A man gotta eat though, so what will feed him if the jobs runs out? My pessimism is based on the fact that many people in positions of power are more willing to cut costs than to take risks, and I have no faith that new industries will come into the fold that won't themselves be automated.

*Insert rant about how anyone can cut costs, and only geniuses can actually innovate*

We have seen this in anime, we have seen this in video games, this attitude of cutting costs instead of hiring sufficient workers. It is hard to account for worker well-being, mentally or otherwise.

You might be right, that a management position might want to focus on the work hours, but this is because he wants to protect his position as well. If there were no people to manage, there would be no manager. But from the position of the company, the hours are largely determined by how much labour it would require to meet their quota. If they could cut down on hours because they have the capital to do so, they very well might. At that point, it would be a matter of the worker to decide whether or not he's satisfied with those new hours. I think a cut in hours would rub people the wrong way. It's very possible that they could fully replace us, if they wanted too. But it would appear that they still value labour of the worker.

It's hard to say.

It is hard to say. Based on my experiences..."More hours" and "Higher wages" are two different arguments, even if logically they should result in the same overall wages. It is easier to convince someone that I need to be here than to pay me more. Couple of reasons for this, including the aforementioned management/administrative ignorance, would be our social attitudes towards working, the perceived price of labor, among others. The last point is true; if employers wanted workers, they should be willing to spend for them, but too often have I heard positions go unfilled, both in government (Paying teachers more might attract more people in becoming teachers) and in the private sector.

I myself would argue for my necessity to the company, rather than my own needs. Robert Heinlen's Lazarus Long has said it is far better to appeal to someone's self-interest than their better nature. That to me indicates many things about how we approach work and our employers. Regardless, I don't expect a handout from any of my employers. I have to bring value or I have to make them think I bring value.

Let's say that we are in a fully (or largely) automated economy. The capital acquired by the companies can do the vast majority of the work that labourers used to do, and the company cuts back on hours, and increases wages to the point where they can now pay the workers a larger wage for less hours.

In that instance, R&D could put their efforts into new projects, considering less hours would need to be spent on manufacturing their current project. This can be taken in multiple ways by the workers. It's interesting that you mention the status quo, as I feel my position to be quite different from the status quo. I cannot relate to some of the older workers I was working with who want things to be done the old way.

I see it as an extension of the status quo, because it relies on private enterprises to pay individuals the same overall wages for less work, existing systems in order to make sure people are fed. But...why would anyone pay me if work was so automated I was not needed?

Less work to be done generally equals less positions needing to be filled. It seems far more likelier that pressing social issues would make job creation a priority, even if those jobs were pointless or unnecessary, because we live in a society where jobs are necessary to live and thrive. After all, presidents pat themselves on the back of job growth and creation. Maybe we are viewing the same outcome through two different lenses. It is this very conundrum that stifles innovation.

You are correct in saying many projects die before leaving the cutting room floor, but not every can work in R&D on R&D.

Final note: I think Bullshit Jobs is worth a read, more than the summary given on r/antiwork. There are problems regarding how Graeber supports his beliefs, namely a lack of empirical data. It in fact lacks so much data. I read this after reading about the Foster-Industrial complex of Torn Apart by Upenn Professor Dorothy Roberts, which is a number of case studies and historical research on how companies have profited on separating children from their parents in the US due to social attitudes as well as financial incentives, and is definitely heavier on the citations. So I got more out of it than I might have otherwise.
PeripheralVisionMay 24, 1:01 PM
May 24, 1:57 PM
Dec 2021
Reply to DreamWindow
Lawrencw said:

That's strange because the person I actually responded too didn't seem to have any problem with that. You are the one poisoning the well, here.

Lawrencw said:

Really? So, what you are saying is that they value human labour, because automation does not work properly without human involvement? That's interesting, because that just shows that there is still value in human labour. Making the claim that AI is a threat to the jobs rather moot. It sounds like this is not an issue.

Lawrencw said:

Yes, I perfectly understand. What you are saying is that human labour has a quality too it that is valuable to the employers. Which is why they are hiring them in the first place. That's kind of my point, in that, I feel the AI fear is overblown.

Your rhetoric contradicts what you are actually saying. If the corpos are the ones with all the power, they shouldn't have any reason to value human labour. But it's clear that they do value the labour of the worker, even by your own admission. The quarrels of the workers themselves is largely irrelevant, since most of them are only interested in doing the job they were assigned.
@DreamWindow answering your questions again because you didn’t bother understanding what I wrote.
AI is indeed overblown, by corporations to make investors buy more of their stocks, so they can further make more research on their systems, which I’m turns creates fear of AI improving enough to take jobs.

About human labor being viewed as important by most companies… it’s not, they just can’t do without it yet, if human labor truly is valued they’ll pay their workers adequately(which is becoming a rare case). And about the corpos being powerful… just look at your politicians and how they make laws, that should help you understand why they don’t try to solve societal issues or care what AI does to the job market at the moment… because mostly they are the investors. They can’t just pull out when they can make even more money. If they’re to slap a ban on use of AI, they won’t have much of a new sure fire grift to invest on(the market becomes unpredictable).

Because something doesn’t function properly doesn’t mean it can’t be used. If an AI system is capable of about 60% of human efficiency, there will be a lot of companies that will gladly reduce their employees numbers and pay just so they can make more profit. The reason why human labor is still in use is because of fear of losing backing from their consumers, investors(politicians and other tech bros) and the politicians. Because once the consumers catch on and go for an alternative, the value of the company plummets, and the investors starts selling their stocks. AND SO SOME COMPANIES REPLACE THEIR WORKERS LITTLE BY LITTLE, A LOT OF LAY OFFS ARE HAPPENING AT THE MOMENT IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY, a lot of gamers don’t care as long as the game is good.
May 24, 3:11 PM

Oct 2022
Mmmmm... i dont know if AI, but maybe they could rely more on technology to help artist work faster and make less mistakes. Maybe use models as references so they can just draw on top but with a clear guide so it is faster.

My problem with "AI" art, is that it is just taking a bunch of images and styles from the internet and then use parts and iterations of it to build something. As a result, it lacks a proper personality, an style. Thats why people recognize AI art sometimes: is just as generic as it can be, the mistakes and limitations are the style of the artists, and AI wont do it, it will just mix whatever it can find and then output a result.
May 24, 3:23 PM

Jul 2013
"Anime was a mistake" as one famous person once said. Anime was/is an epic failure to begin with. And no amount of technological innovation will fix an epic failure tbh.
May 24, 4:08 PM

Dec 2021
No it will not. As others have already noted, more AI will just result in layoffs, while the remaining workers will continue to be crunched to heck. If animators/workers don't have power now, they certainly won't gain it from AI. The only people who will benefit from AI in the anime industry are the producers (who, ironically, don't produce anything).
May 24, 5:28 PM

Jan 2022
I don't know i just think animators and vfx "artists" are too lazy
May 26, 1:14 PM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Edit: Also thank you for your response. I was honestly not nearly as criticism about Graeber as I should have been. There are fact many things in the book that deserve criticism, such as his categorization of jobs, his data, as well as the limited scope of his book (Namely, what is a bullshit job). Honestly? It is a simplistic book that I still like but on a very complex topic.

Overall point? This was a fun diversion, but my main three ideas are that.

1. Automation and AI will make overall jobs scarcer.
  2. This requires a solution. Either UBI or pay people using existing work structures to pretend to work.
  3. The latter of the above already exists in some forms due to inefficiencies, both intentional and out of ignorance.

I would like to know which capitalist writers you are referring too. You mention Ayn Rand later in this post, but Ayn Rand is considered a hack in free market circles. I would recommend reading the works of Austrian economic writers, such as Murray Rothbard, or Hans-Herman Hoppe.

I will add them to the list (I am not well-read in this topic), but this is just economics 101. Most economists, like Gregory Mankiw, does not pretend that things such as externalities do not exist, or that resources are perfectly allocated, or that government has absolutely no role in mediating the economy. Yet too many people hyped up on AnCap-lite thinking, and think that all issues can be resolved with the free market, and are caused by a government that does not limit itself to copyright protection. (I am not accusing you of that, btw)

I will make my position clear. I think capitalism IS generally the best means of allocating resources, and the free-market is preferable to any command economy outside of very niche cases. Part of this is due to my belief that no governing body can perfectly understand such a complex system, and that allowing people to pursue their own self-interest (Rather, creating a system that accepts this axiom as true) is practical. I do not think it is perfect in the same way democracy is not perfect. I don't pretend democracy is perfect, but it is the best.

What has to be considered then is what the new technology intends to replace. Cars replacing buggies merely introduced one product for the next, or service. What does AI and automation hope to replace? Humans, it is in the name, "artificial". It is not meant to be merely a tool, but to "replace" humans, artificial intelligence.

It may create more jobs, but I am doubtful this would be the case when the point of such technology is in increasing efficiency by cutting down on human labor and error. What not requires batteries and months of experiments if not years requires only weeks, regarding a project on in-situ analysis of pharmaceutical production that I may actually work on in my current research.

Would it create more wealth? In a way I believe that, but what of the wealth distribution? People are not going to be paid to do "nothing". Yet the foundations of our society rests on people earning their keep. So it seems fairly likely that due to a number of reasons, jobs will be created, unintentionally or otherwise, that ultimately contribute little to their employer, and automation will contribute to the rise of this pseudo-work or to some form of UBI. Whatever the case, people will not remain unemployed and be happy.

This happens a ton in Japanese companies, and this is due to social attitudes regarding firing senior workers. Being given a fake position to be paid; often the worker is expected to retire, but firing or letting them go is out of the question. Such an attitude can persist in industries in different parts of the world.

• It takes considerably far less effort in some way to use existing systems of accomplishing something than having a newer system.

Historically, society has been iterations with slight variations between generations. So I believe in the scenario that if less "actual" work needs to be done overall, that our current system would be incentivized to create jobs rather than Friedman's negative tax rate, without really asking what those jobs even are or do. Workers are incentivized to do so because we cannot imagine anything better and we need to be fed, among other considerations. Employers are incentivized to do so for similar enough reasons related to cultural and societal values on work and prestige. Both have the general belief that unnecessary jobs are impossible to create.

It is a requirement for the "ideal" free market. If people could not compare prices, then proprietors of goods and services would have less reason to price their goods and services with the "true" market value. A similar sentiment applies to workplace structures, the consumer being the employer and the employee offering their services; a large enough one will introduce inefficiencies, such as unnecessary positions, partially due to the fact that no one is perfectly aware of what those under them and above needs (Though alternatively, this can be intentional, in the same way people on LinkedIn brag about being CEOs). Alternatively, corporate "accounting" can often neglect workers' comfort or long-term health, which are hard to account for.

Ex. If one is able to hire someone to do their job for them, two things need to remain.

In many positions, this is stupidly easy to do. Graeber has a point here. We assume jobs are created out of necessity, and therefore no unnecessary jobs exists. This is a circular logic. Administrative positions have exploded at private universities, after all, yet faculty hiring has not kept up. Paperwork is largely bullshit that keeps me from doing my actual current job. In the end, I see no functional difference in government bureaucracy and private corporate bureaucracy. Office Space is a great film.

The exact opposite has also occurred of "under hiring", though this is more worker externalities.

I worked in a warehouse by the Teamsters at UPS, which is older than Fedex and Amazon. This basically meant that unions were a largely integrated part of the company proper. The apprehension is there. No one should expect a company, a private entity, to bankroll us for doing nothing. So we largely resisted automation that is more commonplace in Amazon. We can do this because obviously, the immediate cost of a long-term strike and retrofitting warehouses would prevent the company being able to automate it in the first place.

Wealth does not simply come into existence, it is further consolidated in these examples. I mentioned Ayn Rand to bring up this point, because endeavor nor creativity are the drivers of the free market, but possession of wealth itself (Among others). What happens to the workers who are not getting paid? That wealth does not certainly go to them automatically, and all the more concerning for local and regional economies.

How could I argue a more prosperous future to the citizens of Detroit, Michigan, or Gary, Indiana? The same through line applies to automation that applies to outsourcing, the movement to labor less costly. There is more reason to understand AI as different than any other technology by its nature. It remains to be seen if all industries can be automated, but I certainly see many, such as my former position, as being susceptible to it.

It is a bit funny, how optimistic you are. In fact, I have heard many people, especially those who agree with Graeber or the idea of UBI, push forth this sentiment of yours regarding new industries; if we free ourselves from working long hours, can you imagine what we can do? A man gotta eat though, so what will feed him if the jobs runs out? My pessimism is based on the fact that many people in positions of power are more willing to cut costs than to take risks, and I have no faith that new industries will come into the fold that won't themselves be automated.

*Insert rant about how anyone can cut costs, and only geniuses can actually innovate*

We have seen this in anime, we have seen this in video games, this attitude of cutting costs instead of hiring sufficient workers. It is hard to account for worker well-being, mentally or otherwise.

You might be right, that a management position might want to focus on the work hours, but this is because he wants to protect his position as well. If there were no people to manage, there would be no manager. But from the position of the company, the hours are largely determined by how much labour it would require to meet their quota. If they could cut down on hours because they have the capital to do so, they very well might. At that point, it would be a matter of the worker to decide whether or not he's satisfied with those new hours. I think a cut in hours would rub people the wrong way. It's very possible that they could fully replace us, if they wanted too. But it would appear that they still value labour of the worker.

It's hard to say.

It is hard to say. Based on my experiences..."More hours" and "Higher wages" are two different arguments, even if logically they should result in the same overall wages. It is easier to convince someone that I need to be here than to pay me more. Couple of reasons for this, including the aforementioned management/administrative ignorance, would be our social attitudes towards working, the perceived price of labor, among others. The last point is true; if employers wanted workers, they should be willing to spend for them, but too often have I heard positions go unfilled, both in government (Paying teachers more might attract more people in becoming teachers) and in the private sector.

I myself would argue for my necessity to the company, rather than my own needs. Robert Heinlen's Lazarus Long has said it is far better to appeal to someone's self-interest than their better nature. That to me indicates many things about how we approach work and our employers. Regardless, I don't expect a handout from any of my employers. I have to bring value or I have to make them think I bring value.

Let's say that we are in a fully (or largely) automated economy. The capital acquired by the companies can do the vast majority of the work that labourers used to do, and the company cuts back on hours, and increases wages to the point where they can now pay the workers a larger wage for less hours.

In that instance, R&D could put their efforts into new projects, considering less hours would need to be spent on manufacturing their current project. This can be taken in multiple ways by the workers. It's interesting that you mention the status quo, as I feel my position to be quite different from the status quo. I cannot relate to some of the older workers I was working with who want things to be done the old way.

I see it as an extension of the status quo, because it relies on private enterprises to pay individuals the same overall wages for less work, existing systems in order to make sure people are fed. But...why would anyone pay me if work was so automated I was not needed?

Less work to be done generally equals less positions needing to be filled. It seems far more likelier that pressing social issues would make job creation a priority, even if those jobs were pointless or unnecessary, because we live in a society where jobs are necessary to live and thrive. After all, presidents pat themselves on the back of job growth and creation. Maybe we are viewing the same outcome through two different lenses. It is this very conundrum that stifles innovation.

You are correct in saying many projects die before leaving the cutting room floor, but not every can work in R&D on R&D.

Final note: I think Bullshit Jobs is worth a read, more than the summary given on r/antiwork. There are problems regarding how Graeber supports his beliefs, namely a lack of empirical data. It in fact lacks so much data. I read this after reading about the Foster-Industrial complex of Torn Apart by Upenn Professor Dorothy Roberts, which is a number of case studies and historical research on how companies have profited on separating children from their parents in the US due to social attitudes as well as financial incentives, and is definitely heavier on the citations. So I got more out of it than I might have otherwise.
PeripheralVision said:

Well, of course Neo-Keynesian economists do not have any faith in the free market. But it's important to note just how terrible, and destructive Keynesian policies have been. When there is an economic recession, the Keynsian position is to keep injecting money into the economy, which prolongs the recession, and creates inflation. When the correct solution is to get it over with as soon as possible. Many economists are hypnotized by this school of thinking which is the cause of most of our problems today.

The twentieth century has taught us that planned economies don't work, so at least you are sensible in this regard. I don't intend to frame you in any sort of way, as it seems you are actually interested in discussing the issue. I would disagree with your position on democracy but that is for another time, perhaps.

I think "artificial" means what it means. Artificial meats are not necessarily a replacement for meat, but rather an imitation of some kind of meat to serve a different purpose. In the same sense, I think the human mind cannot be fully replicated. Only imitated. Though, I'm not a neuroscientist.

Right, but pretty much all technology is about cutting down on human labour and error. The invention of a shovel means less digging by hand. The invention of computers for, well, several different things. There is a flip side to this, in that, the efficiency increased by this also benefits the labourer because they have more time to devote to other things, since, more is handled by the tools.

The introduction of new wealth also means that efforts can be put elsewhere. Going back to computers as an example, the advent of computing, and the increased efficiency that comes along with it (i.e. the wealth that it created), benefits more and more people. Everyone now has a device in their pocket that can compute more efficiently than supercomputers once did. So, the "distribution" as it has always been greatly benefits the economy in general. Efforts to try and force such distribution often fail, but if you compare our standard of living to that of even a hundred years ago, it's plain to see how the advent of technology has greatly improved most people's lives. Although there could be the occasional Kaczynski-esque interpretation that some people have, which is also not entirely unfounded. *

I don't know much about Japanese company culture, but retirement is usually the way to go in that situation.

It takes considerably far less effort in some way to use existing systems of accomplishing something than having a newer system.

Well, Friedman's position was more so about replacing the current welfare state, rather than trying to accommodate for certain jobs, but I think you might be right about that. It's interesting to note how government bureaucracies, unions, HR departments etc. do simply try to kick the can down the road. It's actually quite limiting the things that the market is able to achieve under such heavy restrictions. I think in the absence of such restrictions, there would be less need for such efforts. Our current system is still quite far removed from a free market, even if it's closer than some other places.

PeripheralVision said:

There is no "true" market value, though. It's all up the the subjective judgment of each individual for what they are willing to pay for it that determines the price of an item. And the price in of itself conveys information. I don't need to know anything about Warhammer 40K to know that a lot of items are in heavy demand simply by looking at their price. It's impossible for me to know exactly what everyone wants. It's actually the free market and pricing structure that communicates that information, where, in the absence of it, economic calculation would be impossible. In the terms of the labour market, it's similar. If someone doesn't like the wage being offered by one employer, they can go elsewhere. Of course, there is stagnation of wages, but the principle is still the same.

I am not saying that every job is necessary. But then there's the definition of what is "necessary" and who decides what is necessary. It's not "necessary" that I have access to all of the luxury items that I do now, but I still have every right to enjoy those things. There is a great teardown of the way that universities allocate their resources in "Economic Facts and Fallacies" by Thomas Sowell that goes into that topic in greater detail. A lot of it has to do with their investors. A large portion of it has to do with subsidies granted by the government, and other sources, that make them put the money into more frivolous things, rather than actually improving the curriculum.

PeripheralVision said:

"For doing nothing" runs contrary to the existence of "bullshit jobs" though. If a union is protecting a position where people are "doing nothing", wouldn't the more productive one would be preferable?

PeripheralVision said:

It is not the possession but rather the creation of wealth that determines the market economy. Wealth can be possessed by any means, such as theft (the political means af acquiring wealth) but only through voluntary cooperation can wealth actually be created. I mentioned above how this does influence the every man. *

PeripheralVision said:

To do so would have to go into the detail of the economic situation in those areas. For example, what regulations there are, what the crime rate is like, and several other factors that would disincentive businesses from wanting to hire from there. Once again, I do not blame you, or anyone, for being wary of the development, I simply wish to over some condolences, by showing that history has been proven to overcome such challenges, so long as the market is allowed to function. And it is something I do believe to be true.

PeripheralVision said:

It's funny that you mention that, because I am quite pessimistic about the state of the economic policies we have been employing. We actually have the same goal, but we have different means of achieving said goal. You are correct in that risk taking is frowned upon, but we have to ask why that is. And from my view, it's because the losses are shielded by government protection, and that the resistance of change, and trying new things, is what will hold us back from achieving those goals.

PeripheralVision said:

We are, however, seeing the advent of individually made products becoming more successful. More and more creative types are losing touch with the restrictive corporate model, and I think that is a good thing.

PeripheralVision said:

You are correct, longer hours is not a prerequisite for higher wages. Higher risk jobs are often shorter hours, but with higher wages, because that's the only rate they can get people to work those jobs. I don't believe that there is any definitive happy medium for amount of hours worked. It could be a four day week, three day week, so long as the desired output is achieved, it doesn't really matter. Paying teachers more might be an incentive for teachers to work more, but from my view, with the amount of strikes that happen every couple of years, there's no way of discerning when anyone will be satisfied. Tax payers have very deep pockets, after all. But I'm sure a portion of those tax payers would prefer to spend their funds on teachers' they personally find adequate. The teacher's union is actually a good example of a cartelized industry, since it's largely a state-backed monopoly.

PeripheralVision said:

I get what you mean, but again, there's no fixed amount of jobs in the economy. I don't personally view the situation as being dependant on corporations, but rather different people with different interests meeting different demands and needs. We just value corporate positions higher because that's what is viewed as legitimate. But self employment is also something to be exonerated, and is a large portion of economic activity. It has never been the case that we are entirely dependant on a single entity.

Adam Smith said:
It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.
PeripheralVision said:

Even if there are no "jobs" there will still be production of goods. It creeps into largely hypothetical territory when we are considering everything becoming fully automated, and I think it's better to approach it from a more grounder, economic approach.

Right, but the ones we have been discussing likely can. The self employed, and the smaller companies are likely not the positions we need to be concerned about in the first place, regarding automation.

I wouldn't be surprised if many on r/antiwork have read his book. In some sense, I understand the appeal, it feels good to read something that is validating to how you feel. Most people dislike their jobs. But as far as economic issues go, I think it's better to focus on the schools of economic thought, rather than random jobs.

I'm not familiar with Roberts. I find it interesting, that you seemingly tend to seek out a lot of work that is very anti-corporate, though.
DreamWindowMay 26, 2:55 PM

May 26, 1:57 PM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Reply to Lawrencw
@DreamWindow answering your questions again because you didn’t bother understanding what I wrote.
AI is indeed overblown, by corporations to make investors buy more of their stocks, so they can further make more research on their systems, which I’m turns creates fear of AI improving enough to take jobs.

About human labor being viewed as important by most companies… it’s not, they just can’t do without it yet, if human labor truly is valued they’ll pay their workers adequately(which is becoming a rare case). And about the corpos being powerful… just look at your politicians and how they make laws, that should help you understand why they don’t try to solve societal issues or care what AI does to the job market at the moment… because mostly they are the investors. They can’t just pull out when they can make even more money. If they’re to slap a ban on use of AI, they won’t have much of a new sure fire grift to invest on(the market becomes unpredictable).

Because something doesn’t function properly doesn’t mean it can’t be used. If an AI system is capable of about 60% of human efficiency, there will be a lot of companies that will gladly reduce their employees numbers and pay just so they can make more profit. The reason why human labor is still in use is because of fear of losing backing from their consumers, investors(politicians and other tech bros) and the politicians. Because once the consumers catch on and go for an alternative, the value of the company plummets, and the investors starts selling their stocks. AND SO SOME COMPANIES REPLACE THEIR WORKERS LITTLE BY LITTLE, A LOT OF LAY OFFS ARE HAPPENING AT THE MOMENT IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY, a lot of gamers don’t care as long as the game is good.
@Lawrencw
Lawrencw said:

I said the fear of AI being a threat to jobs is overblown, not that AI itself is overblown. If you want to accuse me of not "bothering to understand" what you are saying, you could at least have the courtesy to do it yourself.

Lawrencw said:

The very notion that they cannot do away with human labour suggests that there is value in human labour. In the instance where there is the potential for jobs to get replaced in the future, doesn't mean that they don't value that labour right now. You're right that politicians don't give a shit about societal issues. This doesn't disprove what I said, since I hold the same view. But what you were saying, is that the corporation is this powerful entity that can get rid of the employees, yet by your same rhetoric, you claim that the stake of the worker is what is holding them back. So if the corporation has more power than the worker, it would reason that the worker wouldn't be able to hold off this development at all. It's obvious that this is a mutually beneficial exchange.

Lawrencw said:
Because something doesn’t function properly doesn’t mean it can’t be used. If an AI system is capable of about 60% of human efficiency, there will be a lot of companies that will gladly reduce their employees numbers and pay just so they can make more profit. The reason why human labor is still in use is because of fear of losing backing from their consumers, investors(politicians and other tech bros) and the politicians.

In your last sentance, you just said that politicians and investors is what is allowing AI to develop (or at least not be banned), and now you are saying that they are the reason why it cannot be implemented. This doesn't make any sense. If the politicians and corporations are in bed with each other, there is no fear of losing their backing because they have the same goal.

Because once the consumers catch on and go for an alternative, the value of the company plummets, and the investors starts selling their stocks. AND SO SOME COMPANIES REPLACE THEIR WORKERS LITTLE BY LITTLE, A LOT OF LAY OFFS ARE HAPPENING AT THE MOMENT IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY, a lot of gamers don’t care as long as the game is good.

By your logic, then, it's the consumers that have all the power in this scenario. Not the corporation. The corporation can only get away with what the customer is willing to put up with. Am I correct?

May 26, 2:49 PM

Oct 2017
No, corporations tend to in fact historically tend use new technology to further overwork employees as now theyre expected to put out significanty more work for less pay
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
May 27, 6:18 AM

Oct 2022
Crunch time could be reduced by simply making fewer shows per season. Or fewer episodes per show. Or by extending the season by two or three weeks or whatever, to extend the deadlines (a couple weeks where episodes aren't aired). You could reduce crunch time by making slightly shorter episodes, by even just 1 minute. You could reduce it by taking out quality, like animating tits at 4 fps instead of 30...

Or alternately you could just miss the deadline and keep the quality and episode length, but release it late.... so many ways to go easier on your workforce without saying "let's keep everything exactly the same, we'll change nothing but give your job to a computer"

With the AI solution you're telling the employee their job is easier- because they don't have it anymore. Brilliant?
May 27, 6:39 AM
Jul 2018
Don't want to be a downer but I seriously doubt it. The switch from cell to digital did nothing.
May 27, 6:43 AM

Oct 2022
Reply to KenaiPhoenix
Mmmmm... i dont know if AI, but maybe they could rely more on technology to help artist work faster and make less mistakes. Maybe use models as references so they can just draw on top but with a clear guide so it is faster.

My problem with "AI" art, is that it is just taking a bunch of images and styles from the internet and then use parts and iterations of it to build something. As a result, it lacks a proper personality, an style. Thats why people recognize AI art sometimes: is just as generic as it can be, the mistakes and limitations are the style of the artists, and AI wont do it, it will just mix whatever it can find and then output a result.
@KenaiPhoenix

Not sure what you say about AI Art lacking style- technically they do have style: it's the styles of all the other artists it rips imagery off of to build its fake images. I have seen plenty of AI cgi art and let's be honest.... it looks exactly as generic and has the same style and concepts as pretty much ALL OTHER computer art, at least to me.

So in a way, I am kind of delighted AI now exists, it's killing a genre of art made by people who are too lazy to paint by hand or don't know how to draw by hand on a paper or canvas; and flooding it with fakes that look exactly the same as what they were making in their computer programs.

That's because it is all the same, and the subject of the art is no more inspired; because CGI art never was inspired to begin with.
it was always a dick-waving contest of who could make the most brilliantly sparkling vector image or using templates or whatever. Even manga I noticed is full of comp-art, the backgrounds no way a person is drawing all those lines in perspective that clean, it's all done in computer. Now people wanna whine the computer no longer needs a human to make a few mouse clicks. Fuck them all. Personally I think humanity has fucked itself long before AI came along.
May 27, 6:53 AM

Oct 2019
No, because studios are just fucking evil.

If an anime episode needs 5 weeks to be made, they give them 5 days.

If AI makes it so that same episode takes 5 days to make, they will give them 10 hours.

Companies will push their profit to the max no matter what. Anime takes less time to make compared to the 90s, but I don't think anyone would say the conditions have "improved" because of that.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Animeใ€ŒAMVใ€: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942

More topics from this board

» Would you watch gender swapped Mushoku Tensei? ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Jun 17

57 by TransferUser »»
4 minutes ago

» did your anime watching habits change over time gradually ?

ame - Jun 17

47 by Toooooooooohru »»
7 minutes ago

» If ONE Piece is this long, imagine if this was 100 piece

jhzs0029 - Jun 15

47 by Toooooooooohru »»
11 minutes ago

» Is it just me or is the Shoujo anime category pathetically small?

AngelicSuccubus - Yesterday

33 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you got a favorite combination of eyes & hair colors?

Zowabo - Jun 18

38 by Spunkert »»
14 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.