Forum Settings
Forums

Is the word 'simp' fallen out of context in 2024?

New
May 7, 9:11 AM

Jul 2022
Since the word 'rizz' began evolved into earlier this decade, I feel like the word 'simp' is going to be near extinction by the late 2020s or smt like that..

May 7, 9:19 AM

Jul 2014
I haven't really seen it used online since around 2021/22 so I think it's safe to say it's fallen out of fashion.
Take care of yourself

May 7, 9:22 AM

Jan 2009
ye i do not see much usage of that word this days
May 7, 9:27 AM

Feb 2020
Yeah, but a bunch new stupid words are waiting for us in the future. I wonder what will be the next one.
May 7, 9:27 AM

Sep 2016
Don't think so, I saw it dozens of times here in recent months.

After all it's a very efficient word to describe submissive horndogs.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 7, 10:29 AM
Yare Yare Daze

May 2022
It's word from the 1970s that pimps used lol. Y'all were 40 years late in 2020.
May 7, 10:47 AM
Mar 2009
simp,rizz,incel are words that just goes to show how the IQ has dropped over the years. my grammar may be shit my spelling may be shit but at least I use proper English words and speak like a normal human. If you can´t speak with out shortening majority of the words or make up some new stupid word then don´t speak at all.
May 7, 11:10 AM

Aug 2014
LoveLikeBlood said:
I haven't really seen it used online since around 2021/22 so I think it's safe to say it's fallen out of fashion.

deg said:

What? Simp remains commonplace online. It's used in thousands of new posts, videos, etc. every day.

SwordBreaker36 said:
simp,rizz,incel are words that just goes to show how the IQ has dropped over the years. my grammar may be shit my spelling may be shit but at least I use proper English words and speak like a normal human. If you can´t speak with out shortening majority of the words or make up some new stupid word then don´t speak at all.

Would you care to provide suitable synonyms (or simponyms, as it were...hehe) for the term, then?

(In this context, a simp is "someone who shows excessive sympathy and attention toward another person, typically someone who does not reciprocate the same feelings, in pursuit of affection or a sexual relationship.")
May 7, 11:24 AM
Mar 2009
Reply to SmugSatoko
LoveLikeBlood said:

deg said:

What? Simp remains commonplace online. It's used in thousands of new posts, videos, etc. every day.

SwordBreaker36 said:

Would you care to provide suitable synonyms (or simponyms, as it were...hehe) for the term, then?

(In this context, a simp is "someone who shows excessive sympathy and attention toward another person, typically someone who does not reciprocate the same feelings, in pursuit of affection or a sexual relationship.")
@SmugSatoko Say what it is simp = Desperate men who never got laid but I forgot todays people so lazy they would die if they said long meanings.
May 7, 11:27 AM

Aug 2014
SwordBreaker36 said:
Say what it is simp = Desperate men who never got laid but I forgot todays people so lazy they would die if they said long meanings.

I did not ask for an alternate definition (a poor one at that); I asked for synonyms. If you can't even provide an alternate word people can use instead of simp, don't expect everyone to be willing to write an entire sentence to describe a phenomenon when there is already a word to describe it.
May 7, 12:59 PM

May 2019
Seems like we've made it past the peak of simp accusations.

FreshellMay 7, 1:11 PM
May 7, 1:18 PM

Jun 2023
Reply to SwordBreaker36
@SwordBreaker36 All words are made up. Lol. Also, abbreviations and new slang have been created on the 'net for decades. Language evolves over time.
May 7, 2:47 PM

Dec 2022
"Simp" was originally the abbreviated form of "simpleton". Its "new meaning" as a synonym for "beta orbiter" (or perhaps "sycophant" and "suck-up") was used without regard for proper context from its inception, like most instances of modern pejorative internet slang with extremely specific applications. It's difficult for people to throw the latest trendy buzzwords around to denigrate others with if they adhere solely to its niche definition, but it's not so difficult to ignore the definition and just use it as a catch-all insult for anyone you don't like. Just about anyone who has anything nice to say about someone else has been called a "simp" at this point.

Much like "weeb" and "incel", the actual frequency of people out there that "simp" refers to is proportionately infinitesimal compared to the excessive use of the term itself; this renders the term essentially valueless once it circulates across the internet, as its use far exceeds its applicability, like a linguistic form of a market crash.

Shaded Horizon

May 7, 3:10 PM

Aug 2018
Ditch the word "simp" and start normalising the use of the word "worship".
May 7, 3:28 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Simpleton is a word I will use when the occasion demands it.
May 7, 3:48 PM

Mar 2008
I hate both 'simp' and 'rizz'. Why would anyone take a cool sounding word like 'charisma' and make it sound braindead? Thankfully 'fam' seems to be going away but it's being replaced with excessive use of 'bro' worse than ever by some people because seemingly it became non gender specific so girls are called 'bro' now but im less sure on that. 'Cuck' also stopped being a thing so much after literally everyone was calling everyone else a 'cuck'.

Meanwhile I almost miss 'trill' a bit even though it was a bit awkward sounding.

SmugSatoko said:
I did not ask for an alternate definition (a poor one at that); I asked for synonyms. If you can't even provide an alternate word people can use instead of simp, don't expect everyone to be willing to write an entire sentence to describe a phenomenon when there is already a word to describe it.

Alternate words dont always need provided for word usage frequency to change. There is a sort mindset behind simp, suggesting being sympathetic is a bad thing but anyone even moderately well adjusted knows it isn't so if this mindset fades the word fades with it. And this attention is no different than in the past with any kind of fan of a celebrity, it only became a term with so many things tagged onto it out of envy and misogyny for average girls making money in a way seen as not holding value to the people talking shit about it and lumping as many things onto the word as possible even when it is just another word for 'fan' or in some cases 'cult follower' with added stereotypes. Even fan from fanatic had earlier terms like 'admirer' or 'devotee'.
May 7, 4:08 PM

Aug 2014
traed said:
Thankfully 'fam' seems to be going away but it's being replaced with excessive use of 'bro' worse than ever by some people because seemingly it became non gender specific so girls are called 'bro' now but im less sure on that.

Still not nearly as bad as "bruh"...which is often used by itself, making the person saying it look like a simpleton. (Pun intended.)

'Cuck' also stopped being a thing so much after literally everyone was calling everyone else a 'cuck'.

That's one of the words I try to avoid simply because you can more easily get in trouble on forums for calling someone that.

Alternate words dont always need provided for word usage frequency to change. There is a sort mindset behind simp, suggesting being sympathetic is a bad thing but anyone even moderately well adjusted knows it isn't so if this mindset fades the word fades with it. And this attention is no different than in the past with any kind of fan of a celebrity, it only became a term with so many things tagged onto it out of envy and misogyny for average girls making money in a way seen as not holding value to the people talking shit about it and lumping as many things onto the word as possible even when it is just another word for 'fan' or in some cases 'cult follower' with added stereotypes. Even fan from fanatic had earlier terms like 'admirer' or 'devotee'.

I provided a definition for context. None of the words you mentioned fit that. The seeking affection part is what makes someone a simp, whereas you can be a fan of someone or something while not necessarily trying to get their attention.
May 7, 4:14 PM

May 2018
I silently judge anyone who uses both those words irl, I can't help it
DRINK SOME WATER! FOOL!!!
May 7, 5:26 PM

Oct 2013
It's been used frequently as a buzzword. Mostly in the context that ain't even close to be connected anyhow to its real meaning. Still, the situation with the usage of a word "simp" is better than with "incel". After all, calling a person liking someone as a simp, even if it's dumb, is not as bad as assuming that most of wording dedicated to negative stuff can be described with just one "incel" word.
May 7, 5:39 PM

Jan 2022
Some random guy is still gonna use the word "simp" in the year 203X.
May 7, 6:07 PM
Mar 2009
Reply to pludel2
@SwordBreaker36 All words are made up. Lol. Also, abbreviations and new slang have been created on the 'net for decades. Language evolves over time.
@pludel2 in this case it´s devolving in to incoherent rambling of muppets soon every one will be speaking in 1 letter meanings or not at all. But I guess I grew up in a time where we had time to speak plainly and not in abbreviations. Im bloody glad im dead soon anyway.
May 7, 6:23 PM

Jun 2023
Reply to SwordBreaker36
@pludel2 in this case it´s devolving in to incoherent rambling of muppets soon every one will be speaking in 1 letter meanings or not at all. But I guess I grew up in a time where we had time to speak plainly and not in abbreviations. Im bloody glad im dead soon anyway.
@SwordBreaker36 I actually partially agree with you; over-abbreviating can be quite the eyesore, and sometimes does come off as lazy. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with one's intelligence, though.
May 7, 6:25 PM

Mar 2008
SmugSatoko said:
Still not nearly as bad as "bruh"...which is often used by itself, making the person saying it look like a simpleton. (Pun intended.)

Im not sure how many variations in pronunciation are currently in circulation. I only in past it was "bro", "bruh", and "brawh".

SmugSatoko said:
That's one of the words I try to avoid simply because you can more easily get in trouble on forums for calling someone that.

Even on barely moderated image boards I havent seen it so much anymore so more broadly I dont think that is only thing that brought it down. As for me I just find it a dumb thing thing to use as an insult since people can do what they like. Calling someone something like a "pushover" at least has more validity while conveying a similar intent without the prudishness and sexist implications. Other cases "enabler" would be used and some others "boot licker" which is just too fun sounding with a specific image to go away.

SmugSatoko said:
I provided a definition for context. None of the words you mentioned fit that. The seeking affection part is what makes someone a simp, whereas you can be a fan of someone or something while not necessarily trying to get their attention.

Then I return to what i said. There is nothing inherently weird about someone seeking attention and is just an expression of not just a misogyny against females but sexism toward males for having such needs. While it isnt exclusively used on males with females by males it seems to be the most widely used which hints the intent and the attitudes of people who use such words so freely. If those views change, who's going to use it that way? It would fall out of favour. Well sure there can be a certain point it becomes abnormal for someone to try to get attention from someone if it does some kind of harm to them in doing so but that goes back to stigma against people for being troubled or otherwise acting different from some others in society. Since words like this are describing phantasms, things that would not exist without people giving labels to them, unlike say an apple would still exist as a definite object without being called an apple or anything else. Abstract concepts and judgments on values of too much or too little are not definite givens.
May 7, 6:41 PM
Mar 2009
Reply to pludel2
@SwordBreaker36 I actually partially agree with you; over-abbreviating can be quite the eyesore, and sometimes does come off as lazy. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with one's intelligence, though.
@pludel2 well Im wrong and I mean to say when the talk in abbreviating allot they sound rather stupid if you know what I mean like they have not learned how to speak properly or that they are to lazy to speak.

So to me personally people who use allot of abbreviating just sound stupid but does not mean they are.
May 7, 10:16 PM

Mar 2021
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen it around much lately.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

May 8, 7:12 AM

Aug 2014
traed said:
Then I return to what i said. There is nothing inherently weird about someone seeking attention and is just an expression of not just a misogyny against females but sexism toward males for having such needs. While it isnt exclusively used on males with females by males it seems to be the most widely used which hints the intent and the attitudes of people who use such words so freely. If those views change, who's going to use it that way? It would fall out of favour. Well sure there can be a certain point it becomes abnormal for someone to try to get attention from someone if it does some kind of harm to them in doing so but that goes back to stigma against people for being troubled or otherwise acting different from some others in society. Since words like this are describing phantasms, things that would not exist without people giving labels to them, unlike say an apple would still exist as a definite object without being called an apple or anything else. Abstract concepts and judgments on values of too much or too little are not definite givens.

It's a real phenomenon, though, and there's more to it than what you alluded. Read the definition carefully. Emphasis on excessive and unreciprocated.

"someone who shows excessive sympathy and attention toward another person, typically someone who does not reciprocate the same feelings, in pursuit of affection or a sexual relationship."
May 8, 7:56 AM

Mar 2023
The words Simp and Cuck lost all it's meaning when people started calling everyone they disagree with that.
May 8, 12:18 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to SmugSatoko
traed said:

It's a real phenomenon, though, and there's more to it than what you alluded. Read the definition carefully. Emphasis on excessive and unreciprocated.

"someone who shows excessive sympathy and attention toward another person, typically someone who does not reciprocate the same feelings, in pursuit of affection or a sexual relationship."
@SmugSatoko
Who has the authority to determine what is excessive? Random MGTOW incels on the internet? I think not. Under what basis is it assumed unreciprocated? You dont really know the private connections people make or their real thoughts and feelings unless you personally know those people and even then you never really know for sure. So how is something real when it is mere conjecture ?
May 8, 12:24 PM

Aug 2014
traed said:
Who has the authority to determine what is excessive? Random MGTOW incels on the internet? I think not. Under what basis is it assumed unreciprocated? You dont really know the private connections people make or their real thoughts and feelings unless you personally know those people and even then you never really know for sure. So how is something real when it is mere conjecture ?

Don't play dumb. Oftentimes it's obvious when someone's behavior is excessive or that their affection or attention is not reciprocated. Sure, many people have been called a simp without really deserving the label, but the term was invented for a reason.
May 8, 2:49 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Spunkert
The words Simp and Cuck lost all it's meaning when people started calling everyone they disagree with that.
@Spunkert Sad truth. These days they are just nothing more than buzzwords without any specific meaning at all. Well, other than serving as more refined "no u" equivalent.

Even some posts in this thread prove it. Simps this, incels that. Appearing out of nowhere, only to demean the opponent or a group of people that someone doesn't like.

Soon we will learn that incels made dinosaurs go extinct, because they were simping for climate before the incel asteroid fell from the sky.
May 9, 7:46 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
I mean the words simp and rizz are not really comparable. Rizz is used in a more casual context, while simp is more specific as a response to someone.

Simp still has a place, since there isn't really an adequate replacement for it. There are some people who need to hear that they are simps.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
May 9, 9:52 PM

Jun 2022
look i still use mfw and le feelio wen le growing old
May 9, 10:44 PM

Jul 2013
As far as I know, it's still practical. The ERB Godzilla vs King Kong video used simp not too long ago.

I'll be laughing at the word simpanzee for many years to come. That's what I would call Will Smith. Formerly known as Big Willie who isn't so big now.

In layman terms, the word simp still has its purpose. As long as some men have shit taste in women and are unable to hit one like Tom Dubois.

I don't remember having bad taste in women myself.

I would never marry a woman that smears her own crap in the women's room that janitors complain about every other day.

I would have to ask a janitor if bibliophiles gave him that hard of a time cleaning the library ladies' room at night. How hard was it to clean it up?

That gross secret of theirs is something a simp would never take into account.

Just like A Pimp Named Slickback, I also put a lot of things over what he would call a bitch.
Kurt_IrvingMay 9, 10:54 PM
May 10, 1:13 PM

Nov 2017
Every word which becomes a 2020s internet trend (and even earlier) basically loses its meaning quickly after. The worst example I got in mind still is "meme", I hate how this word is used nowadays

More topics from this board

» Do you collect trading cards?

Malkshake - Apr 30

42 by YungStairwell »»
3 minutes ago

» self hatred is something that unites us?

EmiliaHoarfrost - Yesterday

19 by Lambofgenesis »»
6 minutes ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again?

KiraraFan - May 7

34 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you use the little pocket on your jeans?

traed - Oct 22, 2022

40 by DesuMaiden »»
7 minutes ago

» Sustainable cities: the future or a naive dream?

effy_ - Yesterday

25 by LoveYourSmile »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.