Forum Settings
Forums

thoughts on users that have a mean score of below 5?

New
May 3, 12:06 PM

Jan 2009
should they find another hobby or entertainment? are they masochist? or what thoughts do you have with them?
May 3, 12:07 PM

Feb 2020
Some people just score differently. That's it. And I don't care too much about other people's scores anyway.

SerafosMay 3, 12:14 PM
May 3, 12:18 PM

Sep 2016
I would say they are just hard to please.

Edit: I want to add that the ratings of users with mean score below 5 are much more meaningful than the ratings of those with mean score above 8.
If there were more users like this, then MAL scores would be more reliable than they are now.
ZarutakuMay 4, 8:20 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 3, 12:21 PM

Sep 2018
The lower your mean score, the more you love anime as a medium because it means you care about distinguishing as many different levels of good as possible.

Conversely, casual anime watchers will slap a 8/10 to anything that doesn't make them fall asleep midway and call it a day, without thinking too much about it.
May 3, 12:24 PM

Nov 2019
thoughts on users that have a mean score of below 5?

Bro.. Read my thing thing below, they dont deserve it mfs on this app are just bugging.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
May 3, 12:25 PM

Apr 2018
I don't care, it's their list, not mine, but I do think lists that have mostly 1's are worse than mostly 10's.
rho34May 3, 12:31 PM
May 3, 12:33 PM
Dec 2021
I feel like those are the people who actually engage with what their watching. Someone said it already but not everything is a 7 or 8 out of ten. 5 is average and when you’re watching a lot of anime especially the seasonal ones you’ll stumble across a lot of horrible ones. Trust me.

May 3, 1:15 PM

Jun 2017
Those people must be giving enough scores below 5 (that is, 1, 2, 3 or 4) to outweight their scores above 5 (that is, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10). Only possible explanation.

May 3, 1:18 PM

Oct 2017
I think unless its someone trying to actively see as much weird stuff as possible, they should probably reevaluate the priorities in their viewing habits. What is really the point of watching something you don't like unless its like "so bad its good" or something. Life is too short to be wasting time with stuff that doesn't engage you
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
May 3, 1:20 PM

Aug 2018
Maybe they love the anime medium and are willing to suffer through the mediocrity.
May 3, 1:26 PM

Dec 2021
People like that kinda scare me a bit, not gonna lie. Though the thing that really scares me is when I see an affinity score like this.

It's only once in a blue moon I see someone I have THIS big of an affinity gap with, and so far, the only people I see with scores like this are people I find so disagreeable opinion-wise (Outside of just anime opinions) that I just don't want to interact with them, ever.
Daviljoe193May 3, 1:33 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 3, 1:41 PM

Oct 2009
To me a 4 is mediocre. So if one were to score anime as 4 or less on average then I would consider that to mean they think anime is at best, mediocre. Now, if anime is not their primary hobby then the scoring that low is more understandable as that poster may pursue other avenues to get their fix of entertainment but if anime is their numero uno then that makes me head scratch a bit more. Now this is the subjective part but to me I am off the general belief that people do not continually engage in activities they don't enjoy so if someone has an average scoring of 4 or less then this is an indication they like anime more than they let on. People, on the most part, do not engage in activities they don't really like so I take those low scoring people as individuals who like to portray their attitude of anime being more negative than the reality.
May 3, 3:17 PM

Jan 2021
why do they watch so much anime they don't like or don't enjoy?

why are you putting yourself through misery?

I met a few of these people and they usually just like watching stuff and saying it's trash, that's what gets them going

Shitty existence imoe
May 3, 3:27 PM

May 2018
" thoughts on users that have a mean score of below 5?"

Maybe they are using the scoring system in a different way?
May 4, 12:30 AM

Feb 2014
Reply to alshu

@alshu
alshu said:

Indeed I remember once seeing the profile of a guy that scored everything from 1-5.
At first this irked me a bit because this affects average scores (Though, so does the average MALer that treats 7/10 as being "average" instead of 5/10, but I digress) and made me think as to why he couldn't simply double everything... but I myself give certain anime I find good a 7 or an 8 even if this will, in the end, get it's average score lower, so who am I to complain?

A way, similar to AniList, where someone could opt for different scoring systems (1-10, 1-10 with .5s, 1-5, smiling faces, etc) that get converted to a "standard" one wouldn't be very hard to implement.
May 4, 12:39 AM

Oct 2019
Context matters.

I know a lot of people who have an average of below 5 because theu go out of their way to watch SUPER bad shows to make fun of.

The people i don't take seriously are the ones that talk about 90% of the anime they watch as if they hated every second of it.

Like at that point, why even bother?

Also, this is rare, but some people just scale their scores extremely weirdly, to the point where a 3 or 4 ends up being an ok show to them.

which i don't understand why anyone would scale their scores like that.

but that is also another exception.
APolygons2May 4, 12:43 AM
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 4, 12:56 AM

Jul 2017
I don't really have much of an opinion on people with mean scores lower than 5 lol. If they completed 1,000 anime or so, then I'm sure that they still enjoy watching anime. Real masochist anime watchers I'm guessing are very few and far between. All in all, I think the only big takeaway that I get from people with mean scores below a 5 is that they rate harsher than the average person does.
May 4, 1:08 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Either they enjoy being a mock strict critics or just suck at picking anime to watch or both...

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 4, 1:10 AM

Dec 2018
i really couldn't care less. i totally believe that it's subjective, people score differently and base their scoring on different things.

their reason for a 7 could been a 10 for you. some people base it more analytically rather than emotionally, some are just watching for a good time, while some are here to critique everything that goes into a show. we all look for and feel differently, so bottom line is who cares really.
*burps*  [font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
May 4, 1:13 AM

Dec 2021
No, in fact they are Kings and Queens

How will peasants understand their supreme taste?
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
May 4, 1:26 AM
Sep 2013
They have different standards and/or rating systems.

Of course, if they truly think everything is bad or mediocre, then that begs the question of why they're even here.
May 4, 3:20 AM

May 2021
I've got the whole ten point scale I'm gonna use the whole ten point scale.

When you look at a 10 point rating system, where would you put average? 5/10? Maybe 6/10? How about 8.3 Do you not see the problem? - Crinacle
May 4, 6:54 AM

Nov 2017
I see some profiles and It doesnt make sense to me, If the person thinks most of the animes that bad why the person keep watching them? Masochist?
May 4, 7:05 AM

Jun 2019
Wouldn't be surprised if they have a substantially large list. Like over 1,000 completed. Achieving those numbers is more possible if you add lots of shorts or specials that would only really deflate your mean score if rated.

SoapMay 4, 10:16 AM

More topics from this board

» name a non-anime you think is better than 80% of anime

Kenzolo-folk - 5 hours ago

34 by Kenzolo-folk »»
1 minute ago

» Who are your allies in the anime industry/community?

Catalano - May 1

36 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago

» Disney Anime Chief: More "Acceptable" Expressions Are Necessary for the Wider Market

deg - 3 hours ago

21 by TheMechaManiac »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime awoken something in you or made you fascinated with a particular genre?

Reshiram_IX - Yesterday

21 by TheMechaManiac »»
10 minutes ago

» Gurren Lagann & KlK creator said "Fanservice in anime is necessary, else humanity will disappear"

Dije - 9 hours ago

42 by -Ryu »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.