Forum Settings
Forums

Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

New
Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?
Apr 16, 3:19 PM
Oct 2017
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 16, 3:26 PM

Sep 2018
Tipping culture supports corpos underpayment of employees. You know the top brass would hog most of your donations. I never tip. Bad to incentivize sloth.
Apr 16, 3:27 PM

Jul 2021
Why will I do that?
They don't even let me screenshot
Apr 16, 3:37 PM

Dec 2021
Sure, once I'm done tipping the US president for every day he's in office, Kim Jong Un for every day he's sparing the world from WW3, the sun for every minute it's lighting up the sky, the- oh, and I'm outta money.

Daviljoe193Apr 16, 4:20 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 16, 3:37 PM

May 2021
rohan121 said:
Tipping culture supports corpos underpayment of employees.

Hopefully one day we can just strike this tipping thing down once and for all. Sony is absolutely massive, do we need to tip them to pay their employees proper wages? No, no we don't. Pay them for the work and stop stashing all of the dollars into the pockets of a few.

There was a similar discussion recently about tipping game developers for playing their video games... Crazy idea, let's pay the creators money for making something successful. I'm all for tipping an indie developer or 3rd party support for a small creator. Crunchyroll is not that, sorry they can get my monthly subscription and be happy with that. They just recently upped their prices too.
Apr 16, 3:54 PM

Mar 2021
Dije said:

Literally you have a bunch of dead beat western fans that pirate countless of Anime series that get ripped directly off CR everyday. You really think any of these Users who pirate would specifically tip much less subscribe to their services? These scrubs feel so entitled to Anime like it's a given gift they should all be entitled to be able to consume that if Blowjobs could be pirated they would expect to get several each and every day. lol

You might ask would I be in favor of tipping for completing a series directly off CR? I would say no. Tipping is for human resources specifically related to direct personal customer service. Especially if tipping directly effects and is account for as part of a persons wages. There is no need to tip in this regard when it comes to Anime. I look at the fact most the time if I truly enjoy anything I have watched streaming on any Official platform, I will usually eventually end up buying it on Official physical copies if they release them later on just to collect. That's the further support I contribute to this industry when it comes to the Anime I consume.
ColourWheelApr 16, 4:04 PM
Apr 16, 4:00 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
I don't even want to watch their platform, let alone tipping.
Apr 16, 4:01 PM

Apr 2015
Give the greedy Corpo even MORE money? Is this a joke or troll post?
@billybub Nah, this doesn't come anywhere close to the people who unironically make paragraphs defending CR lol.
TropischApr 16, 4:09 PM
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 16, 4:05 PM

May 2015
Well I didn't think it was possible, but I think this wins for dumbest post I've seen on this site...Well until tomorrow that is.
Apr 16, 4:14 PM
May 2021
Why would anyone want to do that?
We all know where that money would go
ASOIAF is the best piece of fiction

Apr 16, 4:14 PM

Jan 2023
Yeah no I'm good. I already have a subscription for them, I don't wanna tip to add more.
Apr 16, 4:17 PM

Oct 2017
Since that money sure as fuck wouldn't be going to their underpaid translators, hell no. Crunchy execs prolly'd just pocket that shit
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 16, 4:18 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to rohan121
Tipping culture supports corpos underpayment of employees. You know the top brass would hog most of your donations. I never tip. Bad to incentivize sloth.
@rohan121

Crunchyroll already underpays their employees and has engaged in unionbusting practices so this is even more so true. They'd just take all the money for the execs
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 16, 4:26 PM

May 2018
Crunchyroll is never worth it.

I'll just watch it on Japanese TV live.
Apr 16, 4:31 PM

Mar 2008
Only if I can tip in negative values so they lose dominance if not go bankrupt.
Apr 16, 4:31 PM

Aug 2018
They should tip me for using their platform.
Apr 16, 4:32 PM

Oct 2013
Putting aside all shortcomings of using Crunchyroll in my region (a lot of anime are simply region locked) or as a whole (I can't even take a screenshot), nope. You pay for the service, so why would you want to tip said service for delivering you what you paid for? It sounds ridiculous.
Apr 16, 4:36 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Jaytaro10
Why would anyone want to do that?
We all know where that money would go
@Jaytaro10 After reading the original post, I wasn't sure whether it was a bait thread or just a description of ultimate consoomerism ("pay for something, and willingfuglly pay again if it works well").
Apr 16, 4:44 PM

Apr 2024
How hard I pronounce the F in F NO:

Also the F in F Crunchyroll
Apr 16, 5:16 PM

Dec 2021
Nobody
Not one person
Not a singular soul on this mortal plane

Three Four Five Six Seven Eight Nine Ten Eleven Twelve random people on MAL: Who wouldn't?

The amount of people voting for anything other than the middle option is starting to concern me, like these are the sort of people who'd also wish to tip Amazon (Not the sellers, not the brands, but Amazon itself) for every delivered purchase.
Daviljoe193May 4, 12:59 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 16, 5:25 PM

Nov 2014
Can't people tip the creators/artists/animators directly, instead of the money going through the filter of some companies? Although even if I can, I still won't. But I know some people would and that's a good thing.
Apr 16, 5:42 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to mizukasa
Can't people tip the creators/artists/animators directly, instead of the money going through the filter of some companies? Although even if I can, I still won't. But I know some people would and that's a good thing.
@mizukasa Iirc some animation companies have a patron.

Edit: I can only find info about studio Trigger having patron so it doesn't look like it's too common.
Netik765Apr 16, 5:45 PM
Apr 16, 5:51 PM

Jun 2007
Contrary to what some might anticipate me saying, I'm on "No." I pay the subscription fees, I watch as much or as little as I want to per month from there. That's the deal.

And frankly, tip creep has gotten out of control in recent years in the US. I worked in fast food off and on for 10 years in the late 90s through the mid 00s, and we were not allowed to take tips, much less ask for or encourage them. So I'm not about to start adding 20% for the act of making a sandwich and handing it out the drive-thru window, especially when I'm doing the "shadow labor" of entering my order from my car via the outdoor kiosk.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Apr 16, 9:13 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to Daviljoe193
Nobody
Not one person
Not a singular soul on this mortal plane

Three Four Five Six Seven Eight Nine Ten Eleven Twelve random people on MAL: Who wouldn't?

The amount of people voting for anything other than the middle option is starting to concern me, like these are the sort of people who'd also wish to tip Amazon (Not the sellers, not the brands, but Amazon itself) for every delivered purchase.
Thats Colorwheel's shtick. One of the resident elitists lmao.
Apr 16, 9:32 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to Adnash
@Jaytaro10 After reading the original post, I wasn't sure whether it was a bait thread or just a description of ultimate consoomerism ("pay for something, and willingfuglly pay again if it works well").
Will Crunchyroll give me a refund for time lost watching bad shows? Until they do I would never consider tipping.

@Adnash an ex-Blizzard executive just said people who enjoy their games should tip the developers (or something to that general effect). I think that's where the OP's idea came from.
Apr 16, 9:50 PM

Sep 2018
No, CR is a shitty platform and I don't tip. Companies should pay their workers a living wage. This is just a thing to let companies use slave wages. Thankfully it is not really a thing in most countries and is in fact embarrassing in places like Japan.
Apr 16, 10:09 PM

Feb 2020
"Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?"

No, thank you.
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

Jul 2017
Nope, I will not. I only tip if there is a good reason for me to do so. Tipping for every anime that I complete is just not a good reason, so therefore I won't be tipping.
Apr 17, 12:39 AM

Apr 2012
No. Fuck streaming. Also fuck Sony.

Now, if you could somehow only pay the translator, that would be of interest.
Apr 17, 12:45 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to DGemu
DGemu said:

Are you seriously talking about me? If so you could at least take the time to spell my User name correctly.

Also if you actually took the time to read my post on here this is what I said....

ColourWheel said:
Literally you have a bunch of dead beat western fans that pirate countless of Anime series that get ripped directly off CR everyday. You really think any of these Users who pirate would specifically tip much less subscribe to their services? These scrubs feel so entitled to Anime like it's a given gift they should all be entitled to be able to consume that if Blowjobs could be pirated they would expect to get several each and every day. lol

You might ask would I be in favor of tipping for completing a series directly off CR? I would say no. Tipping is for human resources specifically related to direct personal customer service. Especially if tipping directly effects and is account for as part of a persons wages. There is no need to tip in this regard when it comes to Anime. I look at the fact most the time if I truly enjoy anything I have watched streaming on any Official platform, I will usually eventually end up buying it on Official physical copies if they release them later on just to collect. That's the further support I contribute to this industry when it comes to the Anime I consume.

No, I wouldn't tip for a service I am already paying to subscribe to, there is no need for that.

If you want to call me an elitists simply because I am actually paying for the Anime I consume that's pretty rich.

This would actually be the kind of elitism I could actually get behind and would encourage others to do the same.

There is no shame in actually paying for the stuff one enjoys. I would rather be known as this type of elitist than some Anime consuming bum.
ColourWheelApr 17, 1:02 AM
Apr 17, 12:58 AM

Oct 2013
I'd rather tip my garbage man for handling literal shit. Also, fuck tipping as a concept. Just pay your workers more. "But we'd have to up the prices", fuck you because prices are already going up. I'll pay more for the actual product if it means I don't have to feel like a dick for not tipping or not tipping "enough".
Apr 17, 1:29 AM

May 2021
Why would I tip for something Im already paying for? And why would I tip the streaming platform instead of the animators or the studio that actually makes the anime?
Apr 17, 5:13 PM

Apr 2015
And like clockwork, the usual paid Corpo shill arrives.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 17, 5:48 PM

Feb 2021
Nope. I don't tip at my local restaurant and they provide real service.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 17, 7:07 PM

Feb 2021
Tropisch said:
And like clockwork, the usual paid Corpo shill arrives.
And like clockwork the usual user ignores what I said...
Apr 17, 9:13 PM

Jul 2021
Tipping on a streaming platform is a pretty novel idea to me, and I would like to know where this question is coming from.

Have there been rumors? Has it been suggested by Crunchyroll themselves? Are there other streaming platforms that have this system?

I don't like the tipping idea, but I wouldn't mind paying a higher subscription fee if it becomes necessary. Or even pay-per-view...
Apr 17, 9:40 PM

Jul 2021
why on earth would someone do that??

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 17, 9:56 PM

Jan 2021
First they'd have to convince me to come back to using their platform. However, I still wouldn't tip Crunchyroll, not only because they, and Sony, already have enough money, but also because their products are poor. Besides, they already occasionally get some of my money if they have a BD sale and I can jump through all of my mental hoops to hit the "pay now" button.

If they allowed me to walk into wherever their main office is and tip the janitor, maybe I'd think about it. But no way would I tip anyone involved with their anime processes, much less the executives at the top who are renowned for not paying employees enough.

Apr 18, 1:55 AM

Aug 2018
Yes, a 100 dollar tip for every episode.
Apr 18, 5:22 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to KittenCuddler
Will Crunchyroll give me a refund for time lost watching bad shows? Until they do I would never consider tipping.

@Adnash an ex-Blizzard executive just said people who enjoy their games should tip the developers (or something to that general effect). I think that's where the OP's idea came from.
KittenCuddler said:
Haha, good idea. It would be the most fair way of implementing the tipping system, if it ever would be implemented into streaming services. In fact, I can't see any other pro-consumer alternative.

KittenCuddler said:
Oh, yeah, I read an article about it on IGN (here: https://www.ign.com/articles/ex-blizzard-boss-suggests-players-should-be-able-to-tip-the-devs-of-special-games). Many gamers might rage today, but I can see them being hyped about tipping in the future and even defend the whole idea. Expensive DLCs offering small amount of content were hated at first, but nowadays they are something normal in the industry.

The target audience of streaming services is different than gamers. I'm not saying it's better or worse. I feel many folks subscribing to the streaming services are more conscious about the offer they are paying for, and are not afraid of "talking with their wallets" if the service is underwhelming or if its provider does wacky stuff to the offer. It's a generalization, of course. You can also find shills and people addicted to subscribing their favorite services. However, I've noticed that customers of the streaming services are in general lesa forgiving than gamers.
Apr 18, 5:23 AM

Jan 2009
lol no and in fact tipping culture should go away
Apr 18, 8:09 AM

Sep 2014
I refuse. They might use this money to create dubs which I'm completely against.
Apr 18, 8:38 AM

Jan 2008
At that point just buy DVD's???????
Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes...just be an illusion...
Apr 18, 8:47 AM

Feb 2016
I'd be willing if the service were otherwise free.
その目だれの目?
Apr 18, 9:49 AM

Feb 2021
Lucifrost said:
Would you tip Muse Asia then? Or Ani-one?
Apr 18, 10:26 AM

Sep 2008
no, they don't even provide me with obscure pre2000 anime which I'm most interested in. and they don't allow me to download.
I'm completely okay with tipping fansubbers, they do it for free anyway.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Apr 18, 10:36 AM

Jul 2014
Sure I would, but I also don't use CR whatsoever so that would mean I wouldn't pay either way. Real shit though, why would you ever want to tip a business that sucks as much as they do?
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Apr 18, 10:39 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to MadanielFL
Lucifrost said:
Would you tip Muse Asia then? Or Ani-one?
@MadanielFL
Never heard of them, but I have no reason to believe I'd hold them to a different standard.
その目だれの目?
Apr 18, 10:53 AM

Jul 2013
I would much rather tip the actual animators who see little to none of the money crunchyroll pays to license the anime
Apr 18, 10:54 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to ColourWheel
Dije said:

@ColourWheel I just want you to know you aren't actually contributing to the industry anymore than by havingba CR subscription. Your money still doesn't make it to the animators, and therefore doesn't matter
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 6 hours ago

25 by Lucifrost »»
3 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - Today

40 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
16 minutes ago

» Ever thought an anime was a MASTERPIECE, then changed your mind? Or vice versa?

Rhae - 19 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
16 minutes ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime?

The-Wombat - 47 minutes ago

3 by shyam_patel »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 9

73 by LoveYourSmile »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.