Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 28, 10:36 PM

Jan 2024
Everything that isn't officially localized / released is fare game.
Mar 28, 10:40 PM
Oct 2019
VIVA LA PIRACY FOREVER! Fuck corporations!!! (Though for manga/anime especially it’s more like a necessary evil cause I’m non-Japanese and broke) BUT FOR THE MOST PART HECK YES PIRATE 🏴‍☠️
Mar 28, 10:45 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to ColourWheel
@DreamWindow

Oh I could have gone on and on about the excuses... I guess leaving out the service excuse was short sighted on my part.

Generally I could give a shit about how Users choose to consume their Anime but if one is resorting to piracy they shouldn't pretend it's not theft and don't pretend they aren't just a bunch of leeching scrubs.

Just because one complains about bad service and demand better doesn't mean someone should get it for free.

Don't give me this old man lecture BS either. I remember when Crunchyroll use to be a platform pirating Anime before they actually licensed it. I simply didn't use it because the quality was subpar at best. I am not going to waste my time to watch unlicensed Anime with horrible sound quality and flooded with artifacts and video stutter anytime there is picture motion. I visited Crunchyroll in the late 2000s once and started to play an Anime series then just stopped it after a few minutes once I saw how bad the quality was. I just went online found the same series for sale on DVD and it got to my door step in less then 48 hours.

Without licensing, no Anime would exist to be distributed. This "better" option Users are choosing because of their "Service" complaint amounts to just stealing it since all modern seasonal Anime is basically ripped off Official sites then simply re-uploaded to the web on Illegal streaming platforms re-encoded to reduced it's size, reducing the quality, and leaving a tacky watermark on the side to remind those Users which illegal sites they are pirating their content from. Not to mention they hardcode subtitles constantly obstructing the picture (something that is completely annoying since I understand Japanese so it's irritating to see subtitles constantly on the screen that don't match what is actually being said).

This service argument is BS too. A friend in Real life is an Anime scrub too. He showed me at his house one day all the illegal sites he uses. They were all complete dogshit. Took him over 5 minutes to get even a single Anime episode to start playing because his screen kept constantly getting popups every time he tried to hit play over dozens and dozens of times. Then when he connected his laptop to his 65" HDTV the picture look like a piles and piles of complete dogshit littered with artifacts. If this is the kind of service and quality Users think so highly of they must be blind or have never actually watched Anime on Blu-ray before. I have never had issues like this using Legal streaming platforms either. Those who specifically complain about Crunchyroll's service these days it seems likely more of a buffer issue which is more of a problem with their internet service provider. Those who complain about platforms that don't offer ALL anime are just idealist where there has never been any platform before that offers every Anime ever released. They simply just don't want to pay to consume Anime. Even illegal sites don't offer everything.

Generally, Users just make up excuses to resort to piracy simply to avoid paying for something. Completely feeling entitled to stuff for free simply because it exists.
@ColourWheel

>I don't care what other people do
>Everyone who pirates is a leech / parasite / evil
>I will respond to everyone who disagrees with me to ensure they know how little I care about how they consume anime

Whatever dude, have your moral superiority. Nobody gives a shit. You were objectivity wrong on so many accounts yet you're such a stubborn mule that it's clear I'm talking to a wall. Any more breath would be wasted on you.

OT:

TO WHOME ELSE IT MAY CONCERN
I'll just post my first quote here fuck it.

Theft, is morally wrong. That is, the forceful acquisition of one's private property for whatever reason. Piracy on the other hand is not an infringement on anyone's private property rights, since, it involves copying, rather than removing from it's original owner. You cannot move me from this position, but you are welcome to try. Is it a "good" thing, though? Yes! For multiple reasons that many people probably pointed out and more. Can it be a bad thing? Sometimes. It can turn someone away from a potential sale, but this could also make the person like it now that they have given it a try, then maybe they will buy it later. That's kind of the worst case scenario, really. And even in that scenario, the producer never had the right to take money from them that they didn't want to pay.

There's nuance, of course. I think you are an idiot if you complain about the quality of a product if you haven't even paid for it. There's no reason why they should listen to you if you're not a customer. And you should pay for things you like and want to see more of. But the reality is that people are going to take the cheaper option if it is handed to them, just like anything else. I vote necessary because it's going to exist no matter what.

YAR HAR FIDDLE DEE DEE
DreamWindowMar 28, 11:10 PM

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Mar 28, 10:45 PM
Feb 2021
The day corporations starting treating me like I am a human, will be the day I stop pirating, until then I am going to ride these waves.

Streaming services started with an idea to bring almost everything movie/show/anime in one place, with ease of access, but now it's anything but that, this show is available on Netflix, this one is on Amazon Prime, oh forgot about Disney+, wait here comes Crunchyroll. It's not just that, they also try all sorts of trickery to make you pay more and follow their set rules because you have no power here.
Mar 28, 11:33 PM

Mar 2021
@DreamWindow

DreamWindow said:
>I will respond to everyone who disagrees with me to ensure they know how little I care about how they consume anime

This is a complete exaggeration.

Let me remind you what you said in a previous post and why I started a debate with you on this topic?

DreamWindow said:
Piracy on the other hand is not an infringement on anyone's private property rights, since, it involves copying, rather than removing from it's original owner. You cannot move me from this position, but you are welcome to try.

You basically invited anyone to try to convenience you otherwise. So you got no one to blame but yourself if you feel so demoralized after this debate.

I tired but I never thought I was going to change your mind after reading all the excuses and mental gymnastics you were going through simply to justify your reasonings.

DreamWindow said:
You stole my idea for a username, so now I'm going to sue you for ownership.

The moment you brought up "Usernames" as intellectual property I knew you were simply full of shit. As well as the whole stupid arguments you were making about online images. You didn't even try to understand my perspective and gave me very little reasons to even accept any of yours.

DreamWindow said:
Whatever dude, have your moral superiority. Nobody gives a shit. You were objectivity wrong on so many accounts yet you're such a stubborn mule that it's clear I'm talking to a wall. Any more breath would be wasted on you.

I don't give a shit about moral superiority. Never claimed to ever have. Obviously you did give a shit Dude, otherwise you wouldn't have wasted almost an entire evening trying to push a bunch of BS on me so hard.

You don't even need to waste anymore of your time and just go fuck off at this point. Enjoy your trashy low quality, half assed, artifact filled, stamped with a tacky watermark, pirated Anime you feel so entitled to consume, and go chillax knowing you stood your ground so hard. You should be proud of yourself! lol

Piracy is theft. If something has been copyrighted and someone copies it without permission that is basically theft. Anime is copywrited intellectual property, doesn't matter if it's physical in nature or not.
ColourWheelMar 28, 11:54 PM
Mar 29, 3:42 AM

Nov 2019
No one cares, To be honest piracy is fine they make more money from piracy as more people watch pirated content, then they buy merch or manga or whatever the anime has, hopefully supporting the creator. Nothing we can do about it I watch piracy, same as alot of people just is what it is.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Mar 29, 3:47 AM

Jul 2014
Reply to ColourWheel
LoveLikeBlood said:
I said this in another thread, but it's basically a necessity at this point for archival purposes. There are so many films and series that are out of print on DVD and Blu Ray and that haven't been picked up by major streaming services. Should they just disappear into the ether because studios and corporate suits don't care about them? Fuck that.

You act like out of print Anime DVDs and Blu-rays are some how inevitably out of reach for anyone to ever obtain. Most films and series released on physical media were never streamed in the past in the 1st place.

Before internet Piracy, consuming media entertainment was a privilege not some perceived right.

I could go shop online now and search for just about any Anime series that got released on physical media in over the past two decades and find it at extremely affordable prices, especially if they are used.

Even if out of print DVDs and Blu-rays started being streamed legally on platforms, one who would resort to piracy wouldn't likely suddenly just get up and subscribe to a service offering the out of print Anime they want to watch in the 1st place. Further more if someone isn't going to pay a small monthly subscription fee to watch a specific Anime, you really think they would spend 20 to sometimes 60USDs to buy a complete Anime series on physical media?

This seems more like just another lame excuse used to justify piracy.

I will never understand this sense of entitlement fans have with this medium where they feel just because something exists, they should be entitled to it no matter what.
@ColourWheel

First world-ass take. The fact of the matter is that companies are the ones at fault for not allowing their art to be readily accessible. It's not only true for the example of out-of print physical media I used, but also for media that's only available on streaming services unavailable in specific regions. Would I really be wrong for pirating, say, Eminence in Shadow, when it's not legally available at all in my country? HIDIVE isn't available in South Africa, and frankly if people from that country want to watch it, they should be allowed to. It's really stupid to blame anyone but the corporations in situations like these. They created a demand for which they refuse to meaningfully supply.

And the fact of the matter is that the Western anime fandom primarily exists because of piracy. The community was built on fansubs of imported bootlegs, and people tend to forget that the most prominent anime streaming service used to be a piracy site. Frankly, to entirely dismiss or condemn piracy as an anime fan suggests a lack of knowledge about the medium's history and growth. Same applies to film tbh.

I have no idea who is paying you to publicly glaze corporations that earn more money than you'll ever see in your lifetime, but I hope it's worth it.
Take care of yourself

Mar 29, 4:19 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to ColourWheel
@DreamWindow

Oh I could have gone on and on about the excuses... I guess leaving out the service excuse was short sighted on my part.

Generally I could give a shit about how Users choose to consume their Anime but if one is resorting to piracy they shouldn't pretend it's not theft and don't pretend they aren't just a bunch of leeching scrubs.

Just because one complains about bad service and demand better doesn't mean someone should get it for free.

Don't give me this old man lecture BS either. I remember when Crunchyroll use to be a platform pirating Anime before they actually licensed it. I simply didn't use it because the quality was subpar at best. I am not going to waste my time to watch unlicensed Anime with horrible sound quality and flooded with artifacts and video stutter anytime there is picture motion. I visited Crunchyroll in the late 2000s once and started to play an Anime series then just stopped it after a few minutes once I saw how bad the quality was. I just went online found the same series for sale on DVD and it got to my door step in less then 48 hours.

Without licensing, no Anime would exist to be distributed. This "better" option Users are choosing because of their "Service" complaint amounts to just stealing it since all modern seasonal Anime is basically ripped off Official sites then simply re-uploaded to the web on Illegal streaming platforms re-encoded to reduced it's size, reducing the quality, and leaving a tacky watermark on the side to remind those Users which illegal sites they are pirating their content from. Not to mention they hardcode subtitles constantly obstructing the picture (something that is completely annoying since I understand Japanese so it's irritating to see subtitles constantly on the screen that don't match what is actually being said).

This service argument is BS too. A friend in Real life is an Anime scrub too. He showed me at his house one day all the illegal sites he uses. They were all complete dogshit. Took him over 5 minutes to get even a single Anime episode to start playing because his screen kept constantly getting popups every time he tried to hit play over dozens and dozens of times. Then when he connected his laptop to his 65" HDTV the picture look like a piles and piles of complete dogshit littered with artifacts. If this is the kind of service and quality Users think so highly of they must be blind or have never actually watched Anime on Blu-ray before. I have never had issues like this using Legal streaming platforms either. Those who specifically complain about Crunchyroll's service these days it seems likely more of a buffer issue which is more of a problem with their internet service provider. Those who complain about platforms that don't offer ALL anime are just idealist where there has never been any platform before that offers every Anime ever released. They simply just don't want to pay to consume Anime. Even illegal sites don't offer everything.

Generally, Users just make up excuses to resort to piracy simply to avoid paying for something. Completely feeling entitled to stuff for free simply because it exists.
@ColourWheel
ColourWheel said:

Repeating the same lie again and again doesn't make it any more true, you know. Leeches take away blood. Thieves take away stolen goods. Sea-pirates take away stolen goods. Copyrestriction-"pirates" take away nothing.

It always amazes me how people can try to take the moral high ground when they can't even be honest about what they're saying.

Those who specifically complain about Crunchyroll's service these days it seems likely more of a buffer issue which is more of a problem with their internet service provider.

You don't actually need a fast and reliable internet connection to watch anime over the internet in high quality. We have invented hard drives. You can download it over a period of hours, days even, then watch it when it's ready.

But streaming companies don't like this. This is one of several huge problems with them, alongside the fact that you will mostly be paying for vast amounts of crap you don't want to watch and may even be quite offensive, you're supporting a model of television which completely squashes any sort of creativity, and you are likely to be giving money to stinking evil companies like Sony who literally commit crimes, actual crimes, not just pretend-it's-theft.

If you want to support the industry, buy disks or merchandise.
Mar 29, 4:20 AM
Aug 2016
@APolygons2 Like your argument

LSSJ_Gaming said:
To quote Gabe Newel, piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem.
Excellent @LSSJ_Gaming

WesternSiren said:
Piracy is always based I'm not paying for something I can get for free
@WesternSiren All Piracy is the same? Like watching sports illegally or reading books without paying the cost?

@ColourWheel Interesting point! However, what if the cost of letting you watch anime is so high you cant afford it? You stop watching anime? Also we would need to know more about economics in Anime. I will ask how this companies make money, and what % of their revenues come from subscription or pure merchandising? See Gundam! I also think that the model has changed. Look Spotify.

@_gt_ohn Totally agree. When i was younger and didnt have money to pay videogames i just played free video games or got a pirate version. But it happens also in work. If you need Microsoft Office or some applications and you can not afford it, what are u going to do? If i read a book and then like it, i might think buying it. We would need to ask also if its not better for the author or creator of the product to have it "piracy free" so it can be much more known. @ToG25thBaam same!

@Tropisch same as you mate.

There is something that we are not including and its important. We need to difference between: (The Penal Code says)
a) The person who sets up a platform or provides the means of downloading in an attempt to obtain profit or economic benefit.
b) A user who just watches for himself the TV series. Depending on the industry, it can be a huge detriment for the industry and for the people who are the legitimate owners of those rights.

A lot of legislation takes care of a) a lot, with sanctions including prison. But no that much b). @Zettaiken Just like you say.

@APolygons2 totally agree
APolygons2 said:
I am thinking about myself, and to me, my entertainment is more important than some massive company not gaining 10 extra bucks.

@Luchipher-Zen That was a very good post, thanks for the info!
Mar 29, 4:26 AM
Aug 2016
Reply to Luchipher-Zen
@0063873192871 Moreover the prime ideal against piracy is that if users gain access legitimately, the creator will get the benefits. I dunno which capitalistic moron first propounded this utopian fantasy of a thought, but they surely don't understand how the market works. Profits of most creative works are not equally divided to all parties involved, much less with the creators [and it shouldn't get divided equally.. everyone should get their appropriate share]..

If every high sea rider starts subscribing and watching through proper channels, would the companies share the profit with creators? Would the artist get a raise? Hell no.. That will be gobbled up by the company executive and shareholders.. The creator's situation can stay same or worsen, it will never improve.. with or without piracy..
@Luchipher-Zen This post is gold.Totally agree

@ColourWheel It would be interesting for everyone to read bout the legal background to get a more profund vision.

Luchipher-Zen said:
but they surely don't understand how the market works. Profits of most creative works are not equally divided to all parties involved, much less with the creators [and it shouldn't get divided equally.. everyone should get their appropriate share]..

If every high sea rider starts subscribing and watching through proper channels, would the companies share the profit with creators? Would the artist get a raise? Hell no.. That will be gobbled up by the company executive and shareholders.. The creator's situation can stay same or worsen, it will never improve.. with or without piracy..

Mar 29, 4:29 AM
Aug 2016
Reply to DreamWindow
@ColourWheel

So you have never watched anime on a free site? Not even once? Even though you have access to the internet, and the fastest way to find anime is a free site, you just... never thought to do it? I find that hard to believe.

Your whole argument just comes across as a bitter old man who doesn't like it because he didn't have access to it as a kid. You just don't like it because you don't like the "entitled" attitude? Ok, so we can watch anime, and discuss anime, but we can't actually seek out the shows we want to watch when we want to watch them, or else we are entitled? The fuck kind of arbitrary bullshit is this...?

The price is not the issue, the service is. You are making the argument that if you get a bad service, you shouldn't demand better because -tough shit, that's the way you had it growing up. Well that's just bitter, man. Many people just consider it second nature to just look up a show online, and there still has not been a service that can compete with the free sites. Licensing makes it so that the best option is piracy, and so you are arguing that people should not have the best possible option because....? "It would be entitled to do so?!?!" It's entitled to seek out resources that already exists, AND are easier to access? And they should stop because.... just they are entitled? There's not even a logical explanation. You just are mad that people are seeking out easier and better options at consuming their anime. Full stop.

You complain that anime fans are making mountains out of molehills, but after seeing this, I think you are projecting, man. I don't even know what to say, this is just sad. Maybe you want to limit yourself, that's fine, I don't give a shit, but complaining that other people want more and better quality options just because you didn't have it, or don't like them, is just pathetic. The correct amount of anime to watch is more. It's not an issue if people watch more of what they love.
@DreamWindow I agree more or less with you in everything. However, its also true that piracy itself, without any further definition of "piracy", it has some negative effects.

It also depends on the market. Piracy in anime is same than Piracy in academic writing or literature? Also we need to check out how the economics work, for centuries, and still in todays world, creators of content do not get all what they "maybe should deserve", the market is dominated by big companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSstYb-xmTs Just watched this video, gives some info!

BaronLukisMar 29, 4:51 AM
Mar 29, 6:47 AM

Jul 2013
You should pay for your anime if you can afford it, to support the anime industry. Just my two cents.
Mar 29, 7:13 AM

Feb 2021
logopolis said:
you are likely to be giving money to stinking evil companies like Sony who literally commit crimes, actual crimes, not just pretend-it's-theft.
You literally have anime produced by Sony on your favs.
By buying discs and merch, you are giving money to them.

yoslina said:
Fuck corporations!!!
Saying that while having massive corporations on your favs like Toho and Sony is crazy...
Mar 29, 7:24 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to LoveLikeBlood
@ColourWheel

First world-ass take. The fact of the matter is that companies are the ones at fault for not allowing their art to be readily accessible. It's not only true for the example of out-of print physical media I used, but also for media that's only available on streaming services unavailable in specific regions. Would I really be wrong for pirating, say, Eminence in Shadow, when it's not legally available at all in my country? HIDIVE isn't available in South Africa, and frankly if people from that country want to watch it, they should be allowed to. It's really stupid to blame anyone but the corporations in situations like these. They created a demand for which they refuse to meaningfully supply.

And the fact of the matter is that the Western anime fandom primarily exists because of piracy. The community was built on fansubs of imported bootlegs, and people tend to forget that the most prominent anime streaming service used to be a piracy site. Frankly, to entirely dismiss or condemn piracy as an anime fan suggests a lack of knowledge about the medium's history and growth. Same applies to film tbh.

I have no idea who is paying you to publicly glaze corporations that earn more money than you'll ever see in your lifetime, but I hope it's worth it.
LoveLikeBlood said:

Is it really the distributors fault or your own country fault for region locks? I am sure HiDive would love to to be able to stream "Eminence in Shadow" to South Africa. Yet it's easier to blame HiDive or cooperation's for having content region locked in your country to justify piracy than to criticize your own country? That's something HiDive would have no control over. It's really stupid to blame corporations or platforms for something your own government is likely at fault for.

LoveLikeBlood said:

Western anime fandom does not primarily exists because of piracy. This is a repeated fallacy and talking point I hear repeated over and over again without any proof. Back when there was only VHS bootlegs in the west it was beyond a privilege to even have access to such things. A vast majority of Fans were actually buying and consuming Anime that was being legally distributed in the west in contrast to today where it's now the opposite where a vast majority of fans who are simply just relying on piracy in the west.

BaronLukis said:
@ColourWheel Interesting point! However, what if the cost of letting you watch anime is so high you cant afford it? You stop watching anime?

If someone can't afford something you think they should really be entitled to get it for free specifically when you are simply talking about entertainment? If one can't afford to go to major sporting events should they simply just be able to get in for free? If one can't afford to see a movie at the theater should one simply just be able to get to watch that movie for free? One shouldn't simply feel entitled to something simply because it exists no matter how affordable or not it is when you are talking about media entertainment. When I saw the cost to go to the Super Bowl this year I basically laughed and said "Nope". I wasn't expecting to go and if it wasn't for advertisements on TV no one would be able to ever watch the Super Bowl at the prices they are selling at unless they are simply just super wealthy.

@logopolis Simply calling out anything as a lie simply because you do not agree with it is just a cop out. It amazes me how there are so many different excuses User use to justify piracy simply when it's mostly all done for selfish reasons of entitlement. Disregarding the facts that they are taking something that they have no right to have access to in the 1st place when it's literally being illegally distributed without permission. If you feel it's ok to take stuff that doesn't belong to you without permission, copying it or otherwise, just don't pretend it's nothing more than theft.
ColourWheelMar 29, 8:57 AM
Mar 29, 7:28 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to MadanielFL
logopolis said:
you are likely to be giving money to stinking evil companies like Sony who literally commit crimes, actual crimes, not just pretend-it's-theft.

yoslina said:
Fuck corporations!!!
Saying that while having massive corporations on your favs like Toho and Sony is crazy...
@MadanielFL Ay just cause I like what they make doesn't mean I support them >:( /hjk but seriously I never spend money (also I don't have Sony on my favs wdym)
Mar 29, 7:46 AM

May 2023

@BaronLukis
The problem I found lurking in this thread was that proponents of piracy have tried and understood the situation on the other side of the fence, while the resistance has always failed to grasp the problems of this side..

Arguments always thrown at pirates are, "just cuz it's available, want for free, entitled" etc. might be true to quite some extent. But that is not always the case.

I thought of not indulging too much in this thread cuz the analogies that are synonymous are gonna go right atop their head. And the other analogies, would seem too out of place.
A few things I would add:

[1] A user mentioned that pirates complain about access to all anime, and that they did not have access to all anime ever, they were fine with it. Ok, cool. But why should everyone else be fine with that? And there are three facets to what is meant by "access to all anime"

• First meaning of "access to all anime" is access to all anime hosted on the service subscribed to, i.e. if Sub Package 1 costs X amount for a month for access to all titles across that service. If you can't cuz you have to comply with laws and restrict my access, I am not receiving everything I paid for. So the service provider could lower the prices as to match the level of service provided. But no. They still charge the same regardless of restricted access. How is that fair?

• Second meaning of "access to all anime" is on a temporal scale. Say I paid for a subscription of a year. So all anime that were already on the platform provider is hosting and advertising [future releases too], should be on the platform for the said one year of subscription period i.e. access to all anime for the entitled sub period I paid for. They should not be able to remove a title say if they had a dispute with the creator studio [Like in case of Sony PS and Discovery]. That voids the contract, and such removal is actually kind of swindling the user. No matter what the lawyer written EULA says, that's unjust [more so than piracy]. But they did it once, they can do it again. Why would I trust and pay them?

• Third and least important [still significant] meaning is access to all anime in its simplest literal sense. This is just a demand in terms of improvement. While users do want if possible to have all titles at one place, I believe the actual subtext argument is that if everything ain't in one place, lower the prices across the industry to affordable limits so as base can access all of them. This is an argument for improvement. Any and every commodity in an economic market is and should be subject to this.

[2] The same user said, "Piracy has created a culture of unprecedented entitlement". Whereas the actual scenario is that piracy is a workaround utilized by the under-privileged. Piracy of most kinds comes with hidden cost. Software and Games piracy usually have performance or system integration errors. You can’t ever fully trust them, they are likely to be riddled with malware. Access to sites that provide pirated items are always infused with malicious adware. Pirates risk a much higher cost system/device just for fun?
Then why pirated product consumers take this risk? It's [a] cuz their need exceeds the capacity [b] the legitimate service is not worth the price asked. I have never met anyone who can afford a service they think is worth it and not pay for it. The word to be noted is "worth". And justification for ‘need’ is personalized, and beyond argument by third party.
Throwing words into a sentence saying oh pirates just feel they are entitled to everything is just ignorance. Am I gonna get what I am entitled to when I pay? Hell no.. so why shouldn't I choose a more convenient way?

[3] They say, "Simply because something exists, fans feel the need they deserve to have access to it no matter what." The scenario actually is: something exists, I cannot afford or access it. Do I have a workaround? No. Ok Cool. Check again. Do I have a workaround? Yes.. Well all for it. Why not? Free Cash exists? No. Ok.. I find a bill or a penny? should I pick it. Hell yes. It's not my job to keep your penny in your wallet. Should I pick the wallet if I found it. NO. That's equal to selling anime I don't own. One shall not make profit off it. In fact an old saying that surfaced across old torrent giants ["If you are paying for pirated goods you are a moron"] when people started actually selling stuff [still happening]. The pirate lords still make money with ads and stuff, mostly to keep the service going..

[4]"The thing is if one is not paying for something that normally cost money, one is not truly a consumer to begin with".. they moved out of anime realm so shall I. A medical service at a place costs me, the same at another doesn't. And just how freaking true this is. Covid vaccines and cancer drugs showed this to the world. Just cuz something costs money, I am not obliged to pay for it and not look for alternatives, to hell being a true customer [it sounds like same BS as "true diamond Vs LabDiamond" of DeBeers]. What corporations label as piracy are options to me. As long as options are available, I should have the free will to choose amongst them. Don't like it, they damage your business, remove the options if you can, or else make your option more viable, feasible, accessible and affordable.

[5]And they keep throwing the "culture of entitlement" tripe.. well look at the world currently. The international level organizations are doing exactly same thing as pirate lords. African nations don't have resources, well we could let them die. Why breed "culture of entitlement" by providing free rations and resources? Let that aside, the World bank and IMF coerced a grain producing nation to provide rice to west cuz of deficit, when cited quantity probs, that nation was met with sanction threats. One is labeled piracy other is not. Piracy is just a very convenient label by the MNC’s to climb the ladder of greed.
It’s quite arrogant to say along the lines that if I can afford it you should be able to too, if not, you don't deserve it. Your affordability gives you a choice, the one without has a choice too, and you are not gonna make it for him.

[6]I agree with them piracy causes harm, on multiple levels. But what is to change if piracy were to cease. Who is gonna benefit from it? Piracy on Internet started with two objectives, one very unrealistic and in-economical, everything should be free, second is to lessen the gap of disparity of resources to the best of its ability. Stopping piracy ain't gonna improve anything significant for the ones in need, creators or users alike. Some peeps think if everyone pays, producers would just go around sharing profits will every grass root level worker who worked on it.

[7]I myself am a creator. Not of artistic work, but scientific articles. I have one publication till date on Elsevier. Till date I have earned zero from it [Elsevier doesn’t pay authors/researchers]. That article is also featured in a place where I visit for pirated articles. Was I to get anything if it got removed from pirate site? Nupe. So I am fine with it. [Note: Elsevier is not too concerned with it either cuz they earn their need from University Libraries across the globe]. Though not all forms of piracy are the same. But in case of anime piracy it is not so different either. Pirate proponents paying up won’t benefit the animator working like a mule in the studio.
Well, I wanted to continue but this is very annoyingly long enough and maybe those privileged with affordability would understand the reasons of those who are devoid of it.

Mar 29, 7:58 AM

May 2016
Reply to FanthyLord
sorry no sorry
but my first time watching anime like an otaku was thru piracy so i can't say that is a bad thing
@FanthyLord Only OGs lived through those times. Without Piracy, anime would not be as massive as it is globally
Mar 29, 8:06 AM
May 2017
Piracy is heinous.

Copyright infringement is bad, in the sense the copyright holder is not receiving the payment for its work, which is not fair. Copyright holders must sustain themselves too...

Both piracy and copyright infringement are criminal in most countries.

In the case of copyright infringement, there is a known gray zone.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Mar 29, 9:04 AM
Aug 2016
Reply to Luchipher-Zen

@BaronLukis
The problem I found lurking in this thread was that proponents of piracy have tried and understood the situation on the other side of the fence, while the resistance has always failed to grasp the problems of this side..

Arguments always thrown at pirates are, "just cuz it's available, want for free, entitled" etc. might be true to quite some extent. But that is not always the case.

I thought of not indulging too much in this thread cuz the analogies that are synonymous are gonna go right atop their head. And the other analogies, would seem too out of place.
A few things I would add:

[1] A user mentioned that pirates complain about access to all anime, and that they did not have access to all anime ever, they were fine with it. Ok, cool. But why should everyone else be fine with that? And there are three facets to what is meant by "access to all anime"

• First meaning of "access to all anime" is access to all anime hosted on the service subscribed to, i.e. if Sub Package 1 costs X amount for a month for access to all titles across that service. If you can't cuz you have to comply with laws and restrict my access, I am not receiving everything I paid for. So the service provider could lower the prices as to match the level of service provided. But no. They still charge the same regardless of restricted access. How is that fair?

• Second meaning of "access to all anime" is on a temporal scale. Say I paid for a subscription of a year. So all anime that were already on the platform provider is hosting and advertising [future releases too], should be on the platform for the said one year of subscription period i.e. access to all anime for the entitled sub period I paid for. They should not be able to remove a title say if they had a dispute with the creator studio [Like in case of Sony PS and Discovery]. That voids the contract, and such removal is actually kind of swindling the user. No matter what the lawyer written EULA says, that's unjust [more so than piracy]. But they did it once, they can do it again. Why would I trust and pay them?

• Third and least important [still significant] meaning is access to all anime in its simplest literal sense. This is just a demand in terms of improvement. While users do want if possible to have all titles at one place, I believe the actual subtext argument is that if everything ain't in one place, lower the prices across the industry to affordable limits so as base can access all of them. This is an argument for improvement. Any and every commodity in an economic market is and should be subject to this.

[2] The same user said, "Piracy has created a culture of unprecedented entitlement". Whereas the actual scenario is that piracy is a workaround utilized by the under-privileged. Piracy of most kinds comes with hidden cost. Software and Games piracy usually have performance or system integration errors. You can’t ever fully trust them, they are likely to be riddled with malware. Access to sites that provide pirated items are always infused with malicious adware. Pirates risk a much higher cost system/device just for fun?
Then why pirated product consumers take this risk? It's [a] cuz their need exceeds the capacity [b] the legitimate service is not worth the price asked. I have never met anyone who can afford a service they think is worth it and not pay for it. The word to be noted is "worth". And justification for ‘need’ is personalized, and beyond argument by third party.
Throwing words into a sentence saying oh pirates just feel they are entitled to everything is just ignorance. Am I gonna get what I am entitled to when I pay? Hell no.. so why shouldn't I choose a more convenient way?

[3] They say, "Simply because something exists, fans feel the need they deserve to have access to it no matter what." The scenario actually is: something exists, I cannot afford or access it. Do I have a workaround? No. Ok Cool. Check again. Do I have a workaround? Yes.. Well all for it. Why not? Free Cash exists? No. Ok.. I find a bill or a penny? should I pick it. Hell yes. It's not my job to keep your penny in your wallet. Should I pick the wallet if I found it. NO. That's equal to selling anime I don't own. One shall not make profit off it. In fact an old saying that surfaced across old torrent giants ["If you are paying for pirated goods you are a moron"] when people started actually selling stuff [still happening]. The pirate lords still make money with ads and stuff, mostly to keep the service going..

[4]"The thing is if one is not paying for something that normally cost money, one is not truly a consumer to begin with".. they moved out of anime realm so shall I. A medical service at a place costs me, the same at another doesn't. And just how freaking true this is. Covid vaccines and cancer drugs showed this to the world. Just cuz something costs money, I am not obliged to pay for it and not look for alternatives, to hell being a true customer [it sounds like same BS as "true diamond Vs LabDiamond" of DeBeers]. What corporations label as piracy are options to me. As long as options are available, I should have the free will to choose amongst them. Don't like it, they damage your business, remove the options if you can, or else make your option more viable, feasible, accessible and affordable.

[5]And they keep throwing the "culture of entitlement" tripe.. well look at the world currently. The international level organizations are doing exactly same thing as pirate lords. African nations don't have resources, well we could let them die. Why breed "culture of entitlement" by providing free rations and resources? Let that aside, the World bank and IMF coerced a grain producing nation to provide rice to west cuz of deficit, when cited quantity probs, that nation was met with sanction threats. One is labeled piracy other is not. Piracy is just a very convenient label by the MNC’s to climb the ladder of greed.
It’s quite arrogant to say along the lines that if I can afford it you should be able to too, if not, you don't deserve it. Your affordability gives you a choice, the one without has a choice too, and you are not gonna make it for him.

[6]I agree with them piracy causes harm, on multiple levels. But what is to change if piracy were to cease. Who is gonna benefit from it? Piracy on Internet started with two objectives, one very unrealistic and in-economical, everything should be free, second is to lessen the gap of disparity of resources to the best of its ability. Stopping piracy ain't gonna improve anything significant for the ones in need, creators or users alike. Some peeps think if everyone pays, producers would just go around sharing profits will every grass root level worker who worked on it.

[7]I myself am a creator. Not of artistic work, but scientific articles. I have one publication till date on Elsevier. Till date I have earned zero from it [Elsevier doesn’t pay authors/researchers]. That article is also featured in a place where I visit for pirated articles. Was I to get anything if it got removed from pirate site? Nupe. So I am fine with it. [Note: Elsevier is not too concerned with it either cuz they earn their need from University Libraries across the globe]. Though not all forms of piracy are the same. But in case of anime piracy it is not so different either. Pirate proponents paying up won’t benefit the animator working like a mule in the studio.
Well, I wanted to continue but this is very annoyingly long enough and maybe those privileged with affordability would understand the reasons of those who are devoid of it.

@Luchipher-Zen Mostly agree with everything u say.

Interesting to know ur opinion on PIRACY over other themes/topics (not anime), like science, art or music. Will u stand by your arguments still?

Luchipher-Zen said:
wanted to continue but this is very annoyingly long enough and maybe those privileged with affordability would understand the reasons of those who are devoid of it.

Man ur writting is pretty good & awesome.
Mar 29, 9:07 AM

Feb 2021
yoslina said:
Ay just cause I like what they make doesn't mean I support them >:( /hjk but seriously I never spend money (also I don't have Sony on my favs wdym)
You literally have Aniplex on your favs

And what's so bad about them? Sony has been present in the anime industry for decades now, in fact, they are the biggest anime company in the world.
And many famous directors, producers, and animators work for Sony, so I really don't understand what's so bad about them...
Mar 29, 9:09 AM

Apr 2012
MadanielFL said:

Existing within capitalism always involves compromises. But you shouldn't let the impossibility of doing something perfectly prevent you from doing it at all.

ColourWheel said:
Simply calling out anything as a lie simply because you do not agree with it is just a cop out.

That's why I clearly demonstrated it was untrue. But you have to pretend otherwise, as part of making up an alternate reality to justify your position.
Mar 29, 9:11 AM

Jan 2009
you will own nothing and be happy

subscriptions are renting and not owning

if buying is not owning then piracy is not stealing as some people say
Mar 29, 9:15 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to MadanielFL
yoslina said:
Ay just cause I like what they make doesn't mean I support them >:( /hjk but seriously I never spend money (also I don't have Sony on my favs wdym)
You literally have Aniplex on your favs

And what's so bad about them? Sony has been present in the anime industry for decades now, in fact, they are the biggest anime company in the world.
And many famous directors, producers, and animators work for Sony, so I really don't understand what's so bad about them...
@MadanielFL It’s not really about the people, if the money was actually going to the animators/artists/directors, I wouldn’t really see the problem. But I’m pretty sure most people know that it’s just going into the top of the company pockets instead. Either way it doesn’t matter cause I can’t afford to pay for anime all the time even if I wanted to 😅
Mar 29, 9:16 AM

Feb 2021
logopolis said:
Existing within capitalism always involves compromises. But you shouldn't let the impossibility of doing something perfectly prevent you from doing it at all.
Yeah, I just don't understand why all the hate they get.
Considering some of the most popular anime of all time were produced by them (including the current no. 1 on MAL)
Mar 29, 9:20 AM

Feb 2021
yoslina said:
It’s not really about the people, if the money was actually going to the animators/artists/directors, I wouldn’t really see the problem. But I’m pretty sure most people know that it’s just going into the top of the company pockets instead. Either way it doesn’t matter cause I can’t afford to pay for anime all the time even if I wanted to 😅
"Most people know" ok then prove it with sources.
I could literally link you interviews were animators tell people not to pirate.

And by supporting Sony, you are supporting the people who work there, which includes the famous directors and producers, as well as all the artists they have signed, like LiSA for example.
Just because the top executives get some profits, doesn't mean that they get everything I think that should be pretty obvious...
Mar 29, 9:20 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to MadanielFL
logopolis said:
Yeah, I just don't understand why all the hate they get.
Considering some of the most popular anime of all time were produced by them (including the current no. 1 on MAL)
@MadanielFL I think I hate them for a different reason to the alt-right. It's stuff like selling music CDs with malware which auto-installed itself onto Windows machines and even ruined some of them, and the lack of any subsequent prosecution under the computer misuse or criminal damage acts (and whatever the equivalents are where you live) which I have against them.
Mar 29, 9:27 AM

Oct 2017
I just use whatever is most convenient for me. I used Crunchyroll for a while, but it doesn't always have the shows I'm looking for. I recently stopped paying for Crunchyroll because pirating is just as easy and allows me to download episodes so that I can watch them even with shitty wifi. I think Crunchyroll lets you download episodes if you upgrade your plan or something... but I was already nice enough to pay them at all. Now I'm not paying them and I'm able to download episodes for free anyway. Maybe I'm entitled. Who cares? If I had to choose one of the 4 options provided, I'd say it's probably a "bad thing", but that doesn't mean that I care about doing it. If it ever became difficult to do, I would probably just pay, because I'm lazy.
Mar 29, 9:39 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to MadanielFL
yoslina said:
It’s not really about the people, if the money was actually going to the animators/artists/directors, I wouldn’t really see the problem. But I’m pretty sure most people know that it’s just going into the top of the company pockets instead. Either way it doesn’t matter cause I can’t afford to pay for anime all the time even if I wanted to 😅
"Most people know" ok then prove it with sources.
I could literally link you interviews were animators tell people not to pirate.

And by supporting Sony, you are supporting the people who work there, which includes the famous directors and producers, as well as all the artists they have signed, like LiSA for example.
Just because the top executives get some profits, doesn't mean that they get everything I think that should be pretty obvious...
@MadanielFL there is animator shortage crisis going on if you google the news for it because of low pay and overwork conditions so not many new blood wants to be part of the anime industry today sadly
Mar 29, 9:54 AM

Mar 2021
This is regards to everyone on this topic that is simply gaslighting...

To Users who are simply defending piracy as a content delivery problem sometimes have real concerns, though it's overstated to justify the choices Users are simply making to pirate Anime. Yes there are huge profits in Anime, but this is no justification to get it for free. Too many Users ignore the fact that piracy does do lots and lots of damage to the industry despite it's growth in popularity. It's likely the primary reason why we see season after season of degrading quality in production, endless seasonal throwaways with generic themes, and overly re-used ideas.

I also disagree that piracy is somehow standing up for consumers for those who advocate such practices due to service problem complaints. This does not justify limitless entitlement to all and any Anime that exists. The reality is, most of the time Users who resort to Anime piracy for convenience, conveniently disguise their grievances in language to pretend they are somehow fighting against an unfair system all the while denying they are taking and consuming shit without permission that doesn't belong to them. If Users really want to fight the system stop consuming Anime and boycott it. Don't keep advocating against an industry all the while keep consuming the products.

deg said:
there is animator shortage crisis going on if you google the news for it because of low pay and overwork conditions so not many new blood wants to be part of the anime industry today sadly

Of course Anime piracy couldn't be partly to blame for this? Before internet piracy these issues weren't a real problem before and the industry was doing quite fine regardless how wide spread it's popularity was globally, at least not a problem to the degree it is today.
ColourWheelMar 29, 10:20 AM
Mar 29, 9:54 AM

Oct 2018
I think that piracy is cool and based.
Mar 29, 10:06 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to ColourWheel
This is regards to everyone on this topic that is simply gaslighting...

To Users who are simply defending piracy as a content delivery problem sometimes have real concerns, though it's overstated to justify the choices Users are simply making to pirate Anime. Yes there are huge profits in Anime, but this is no justification to get it for free. Too many Users ignore the fact that piracy does do lots and lots of damage to the industry despite it's growth in popularity. It's likely the primary reason why we see season after season of degrading quality in production, endless seasonal throwaways with generic themes, and overly re-used ideas.

I also disagree that piracy is somehow standing up for consumers for those who advocate such practices due to service problem complaints. This does not justify limitless entitlement to all and any Anime that exists. The reality is, most of the time Users who resort to Anime piracy for convenience, conveniently disguise their grievances in language to pretend they are somehow fighting against an unfair system all the while denying they are taking and consuming shit without permission that doesn't belong to them. If Users really want to fight the system stop consuming Anime and boycott it. Don't keep advocating against an industry all the while keep consuming the products.

deg said:
there is animator shortage crisis going on if you google the news for it because of low pay and overwork conditions so not many new blood wants to be part of the anime industry today sadly

Of course Anime piracy couldn't be partly to blame for this? Before internet piracy these issues weren't a real problem before and the industry was doing quite fine regardless how wide spread it's popularity was globally, at least not a problem to the degree it is today.
@ColourWheel nope the anime industry is doing fine profit wise there is record breaking profit every year base on AJA yearly report

you cannot simply hire more animators because they need talented animators that are rare plus the law of diminishing returns applies

the anime industry is suffering from success
Mar 29, 10:07 AM

May 2021
Why would I pay for something when I can get it for free, and better. Besides people who argue that piracy hurts the industry are paying for it anyway so I'm just riding the Anime industry on their money so it's all fine plus it's like being a feudal lord who exploits the labor of the peasant which is a good feeling tbh. And finally I have a permit for piracy.

Permit: I can do whatever I want and there's nothing you can do about it so fuck you
Mar 29, 10:12 AM

Feb 2021
deg said:
That's an industry problem.
The industry continues to grow, and more anime is being made, but to solve the shortage problem, pretty much every single new anime will have overseas people working on them, be Korean studios like DR Movie, or Vietnamese animators doing background art.

Piracy isn't gonna make things better.
Mar 29, 10:16 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to MadanielFL
deg said:
That's an industry problem.
The industry continues to grow, and more anime is being made, but to solve the shortage problem, pretty much every single new anime will have overseas people working on them, be Korean studios like DR Movie, or Vietnamese animators doing background art.

Piracy isn't gonna make things better.
@MadanielFL not saying piracy will make things better im just simply answering that like many capitalists the anime industry wants to maximize profit while minimizing costs like with cheap wages

plus piracy is not a big problem this days considering the record breaking profit of the anime industry for years now
Mar 29, 10:27 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to deg
@ColourWheel nope the anime industry is doing fine profit wise there is record breaking profit every year base on AJA yearly report

you cannot simply hire more animators because they need talented animators that are rare plus the law of diminishing returns applies

deg said:

Despite profits, the industry is obviously not doing fine if there is animator shortage crisis going on. This is not a recipe for success when you will eventually not have enough people to keep things running.
Mar 29, 10:31 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to ColourWheel
deg said:

Despite profits, the industry is obviously not doing fine if there is animator shortage crisis going on. This is not a recipe for success when you will eventually not have enough people to keep things running.
@ColourWheel i know and the anime industry knows it too but they refuse to take action rather than do more 3DCG animations

or they need to abandon infinite growth of profit and focus on maintaining current yearly profits or even decrease it to lessen overproduction of anime and to train enough new talented animators that way because with overproduction you cannot simply expect veteran animators to train new animators anyway
Mar 29, 10:44 AM

Oct 2017
As a current university student, I cannot afford the multiple subscriptions often needed to watch the anime I want to watch, whilst I can use my parent's Netflix and Disney+ account if it's not there, I will pirate it. Once, I have a job that pays well enough, I will most likely start paying subscriptions to watch anime legally but until then piracy still allows me to enjoy the anime I want to watch without worrying about the financial issues it could bring from paying for it.
Mar 29, 10:57 AM

May 2023
Reply to BaronLukis
@Luchipher-Zen Mostly agree with everything u say.

Interesting to know ur opinion on PIRACY over other themes/topics (not anime), like science, art or music. Will u stand by your arguments still?

Luchipher-Zen said:
wanted to continue but this is very annoyingly long enough and maybe those privileged with affordability would understand the reasons of those who are devoid of it.

Man ur writting is pretty good & awesome.
@BaronLukis My views on piracy outside streaming media are not homogeneous overall. I'll try explaining.

1. For software piracy, if one doesn't profiteer of the work done on pirated software, it's fine. But if one puts them to commercial use then, if they can they should have some obligation to return some profit earnings to the developer. If not immediately then when able to. One important change in this industry over recent years is the new cringe : Subscription model. For any software that prefers this leech method I choose high sea version. Incidentally, most of most subscription model proprietary software are from cyber giants. Whereas the ones providing standalone versions, I would encourage people to buy.

For example, I have high sea version of many Adobe suite products, I don't use them commercially, so I don't yet feel the obligation to pay up. While, Affinity Suite, one similar to Adobe is standalone i.e. one time pay, unlimited use, I bought it. Why?

Affinity Suite gets me 3 software for ~$132. One time purchase. Lifetime use. No expiration. Have been using for past 4 years.
    Adobe's counterparts for those 3 software in the subscription model would cost me ~$66 per month, that's ~$792 yearly.

Not too hard to pick is it.. Sure I am missing some updates etc. but those are not relevant or important enough to pay that much, that too over something I am not gonna have monetary gain from since not using commercially.

Of the softwares I use professionally, few are under GNU license, others proprietary. There are hybrid ones too, that have free+PRO versions. There are a couple of softwares that are priced so as only institutions can buy them, not individuals. For these I have to use pirated ones. I have solace in the fact that my research does pay up some of what I used. Also I occasionally donate for GNU or hybrid model software, it helps them keep it free. Not too much, but enough per my pay-grade. I also pay for softwares that are affordable and awesome hence worth it, such as Malwarebytes.

2. As for piracy of published material [eBook, Audio-Book, Academic Journal, comic books etc.] my views are divided. Firstly, for the category I am a consumer as well as a contributor, i.e. Scientific Journals/Articles/Research Papers, I believe access to these should be free across the world. The cost of hosting these should taken by intergovernmental academic agencies. If a pirate site can do this, so can they, and more legitimately. I personally won't ever monetize my research publications.

As for eBooks and Audio-Books, both buy and pirate. I have physical copies of most books I need, also paid up for Audible sub. cuz I could afford to. Then why pirate? For eBooks prime reason is editions. I can't buy each edition of NatGeo Atlas, they are huge and costly, I buy one every 10 years, I have 2 now, one a gift one self bought. Also when I am tutoring online, instead of showing a book on cam its better to open a PDF.

As for audio-books I have only ever pirated 5, Harry Potter Series [both Jim Dale and Stephen Fry], Lord of The Rings, Sherlock Holmes, Game of Thrones and The Martian. I could listen to these on Audible sub I pay for. But I sometimes have to travel for survey and connectivity is extremely poor. These 5 are worth 760 hours of story telling.. more than enough.

3. As for music, I don't pirate music. I guess that is cuz Spotify has a free option too. Also my cellular services provider has a similar service I get as add on. It has its creeks at hinges, but it's free so I dun complain. If its free with ad, I would say free consumers should watch it, pay time in place of money and pay by ad.

4. Lastly, art. Well if this art constitutes to photography, painting, digital art etc. I am against pirating these. Here mostly, there are no companies, or if are there, they are in sidelines. Here piracy directly hurts the creator. If you want to use someone's work, ask them, if they want payment pay them, they ask for attribution, give them. They refuse, respect their wishes and try luck with other choices. A perfect example is a brilliant animator my the name Miena A.R. [goes by mienar]. Lovely art she creates, mini GIF animations, perfect for MAL About me. I asked her if I can use. She said not free. That's it. Hey, I grabbed the pics, I have them in my folders, but never use them anywhere expect for ideas and inspiration.

Ultimately, piracy is a forced choice in most scenarios, the force invisible to those privileged not to face it. No one says it's justified through and through, but on the scale of justice, piracy is outweighed by poor greedy service and treatment of consumers by the providers.
Mar 29, 11:37 AM

Mar 2021
@Luchipher-Zen

Luchipher-Zen said:
Ultimately, piracy is a forced choice in most scenarios, the force invisible to those privileged not to face it. No one says it's justified through and through, but on the scale of justice, piracy is outweighed by poor greedy service and treatment of consumers by the providers.

Using piracy as a forced choice is just an excuse and nothing more. Privileged or not, piracy is mainly used to simply take and consume shit without permission simply for free. People can live fine without Anime, it's not like it's a vital necessity to keep consuming to stay alive. If Users can't afford to buy the Anime they consume they are simply trying to live beyond their needs by resorting to piracy.

If Consumers feel services are poor and they are being treated badly due to greed, Boycott Anime because Anime is an industry whether Users like it or not. No excuses justify limitless entitlement to all and any Anime that exists.
ColourWheelMar 29, 11:50 AM
Mar 29, 1:57 PM

Jan 2022
Aside from the 1% or so that does it for the lulz or because they want free stuff, piracy is indicative of an unserved/underserved market.
Mar 29, 2:02 PM
Mar 2019
Without it watching Donghua would be impossible.
Mar 29, 2:22 PM

Jul 2013
A necessary evil. I agree with the OP.
Mar 29, 2:34 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
THE FUCKING PAGE SHIFTED WHEN I WAS TRYING TO VOTE "NECESSARY EVIL" AND I CLICKED "BAD THING"
Mar 29, 4:24 PM

May 2023
Reply to ColourWheel
@Luchipher-Zen

Luchipher-Zen said:

Using piracy as a forced choice is just an excuse and nothing more. Privileged or not, piracy is mainly used to simply take and consume shit without permission simply for free. People can live fine without Anime, it's not like it's a vital necessity to keep consuming to stay alive. If Users can't afford to buy the Anime they consume they are simply trying to live beyond their needs by resorting to piracy.

If Consumers feel services are poor and they are being treated badly due to greed, Boycott Anime because Anime is an industry whether Users like it or not. No excuses justify limitless entitlement to all and any Anime that exists.
@ColourWheel
ColourWheel said:
consume shit without permission simply for free.

Well, if the company can remove shows without my consent, that too purchased content, they can do shit load of stuff without permission and against law, then yes consume shit without permission simply for free is also gonna be fine.
And you think anything that's a vital necessity is Ok to be pirated? Medicine? Food? Water? Shelter? Well, entertainment is vital for sustenance of a healthy cerebral system. And to sustain it one is free to choose his options from the market. If those options harm you, it's your job to keep them off the market. A user comes to the market with a "get best" mindset. If a bunch of people feel pirated goods are worth it, then they are for them.

ColourWheel said:
If Users can't afford to buy the Anime they consume they are simply trying to live beyond their needs by resorting to piracy.

Of course they are doing that. It's one thing humans always strive for and should strive for, betterment of their condition in all and every way possible. If a company can strive for what's best in their interests without giving thought of the impact of decisions on user base, the user base can do the same. Don't go beyond your ability and needs is such a 19th century colonialist mindset. If nutritious food if beyond their need and ability they shouldn't vie for it? If better medical treatment is beyond their ability and need, they shouldn't look for it? Education? House? Vying for alternatives and improvements is a right. Companies don't like it they are welcome to try and keep pirated material off the market. Or provide services at a level that resorting to pirated goods feels like a hassle.

ColourWheel said:
If Consumers feel services are poor and they are being treated badly due to greed, Boycott Anime because Anime is an industry

Again why should user's resort to your idealistic choice of boycotting? If consumer's are treated unfairly, they'd choose the medium of protest. Why should they choose your provided option/medium of resistance? Piracy works better than boycott.

Base fact is stealing from consumers, and providing shitty service is just as much a conscious decision on companies part as piracy is on the user's. If the companies feel their greed is justified, so are the user's needs. If they can snivel out of law using EULA, user's can snivel around the pirated market.
If piracy is an excuse, so is the companies' shitty treatment, both of greed. One want to earn more, one save more.
Mar 29, 5:26 PM

Mar 2021
Luchipher-Zen said:
ColourWheel said:
Privileged or not, piracy is mainly used to simply take and consume shit without permission simply for free.

Well, if the company can remove shows without my consent, that too purchased content, they can do shit load of stuff without permission and against law, then yes consume shit without permission simply for free is also gonna be fine.

A company doesn't need User consent to remove shows off their platforms. I have seen other Users make this kind of complaint before where a company will change their User agreement while Users will not recognizing that they originally agreed to said agreements when they signed up where it's specifically stated almost all the time they are always "subject to change" over time. It's been this way even before internet piracy.

If Users want to maintain the security of actually owning media content, you have no sympathy from me, when physical media exists. You really think someone is going to really be able to constantly keep accessing a large library of media online once said company ever closes down? Think again... That's just Idealism.

Luchipher-Zen said:
And you think anything that's a vital necessity is Ok to be pirated? Medicine? Food? Water? Shelter? Well, entertainment is vital for sustenance of a healthy cerebral system. And to sustain it one is free to choose his options from the market. If those options harm you, it's your job to keep them off the market. A user comes to the market with a "get best" mindset. If a bunch of people feel pirated goods are worth it, then they are for them.

This is just an absurd line of argument you are going down here. Even if I agreed with you on the merits of entertainment being a vital for sustenance of a healthy cerebral system, Anime is not the only form of entertainment that exists let alone even a good excuse to simply resort to piracy. There are a multitude of ways for one to be entertained which don't rely on internet piracy.

Luchipher-Zen said:
If nutritious food if beyond their need and ability they shouldn't vie for it? If better medical treatment is beyond their ability and need, they shouldn't look for it? Education? House? Vying for alternatives and improvements is a right. Companies don't like it they are welcome to try and keep pirated material off the market. Or provide services at a level that resorting to pirated goods feels like a hassle.

How is any legitimate business model realistically suppose to compete with an illegitimate one that takes their products and simply just gives them away for free? They can't. That would be like you opening up a business then when you weren't looking I was just taking everything you sold and giving everything you offered away from free. This is not the same as looking for competitive alternatives, they are simply contributing to the continuation of theft.

Luchipher-Zen said:
ColourWheel said:

Again why should user's resort to your idealistic choice of boycotting? If consumer's are treated unfairly, they'd choose the medium of protest. Why should they choose your provided option/medium of resistance? Piracy works better than boycott.

Resorting to piracy as a way to send a message of protest is only displaying that one cares more about consuming Anime than actually trying to make any kind of statement. It would be like someone trying to boycott a company but still end up constantly using their products every day. It's having your cake and eating it too. Even so, resorting to piracy is not the best alternative for a protest. You want to talk about idealism, consumers can use services that don't treat them unfairly (not like there is simply only one legit streaming service that exists) or simply go back to consuming Anime the way a lot of people use to which was on physical media and carefully make sure one doesn't consume anything coming directly from the company they are trying to boycott.
ColourWheelMar 29, 5:34 PM
Mar 29, 5:34 PM

Jul 2013
Sometimes I pay for anime. Other times I pirate it. Why can't we have both piracy and official copies?
Mar 29, 5:38 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to ColourWheel
Luchipher-Zen said:
ColourWheel said:
Privileged or not, piracy is mainly used to simply take and consume shit without permission simply for free.

A company doesn't need User consent to remove shows off their platforms. I have seen other Users make this kind of complaint before where a company will change their User agreement while Users will not recognizing that they originally agreed to said agreements when they signed up where it's specifically stated almost all the time they are always "subject to change" over time. It's been this way even before internet piracy.

If Users want to maintain the security of actually owning media content, you have no sympathy from me, when physical media exists. You really think someone is going to really be able to constantly keep accessing a large library of media online once said company ever closes down? Think again... That's just Idealism.

Luchipher-Zen said:

This is just an absurd line of argument you are going down here. Even if I agreed with you on the merits of entertainment being a vital for sustenance of a healthy cerebral system, Anime is not the only form of entertainment that exists let alone even a good excuse to simply resort to piracy. There are a multitude of ways for one to be entertained which don't rely on internet piracy.

Luchipher-Zen said:
If nutritious food if beyond their need and ability they shouldn't vie for it? If better medical treatment is beyond their ability and need, they shouldn't look for it? Education? House? Vying for alternatives and improvements is a right. Companies don't like it they are welcome to try and keep pirated material off the market. Or provide services at a level that resorting to pirated goods feels like a hassle.

How is any legitimate business model realistically suppose to compete with an illegitimate one that takes their products and simply just gives them away for free? They can't. That would be like you opening up a business then when you weren't looking I was just taking everything you sold and giving everything you offered away from free. This is not the same as looking for competitive alternatives, they are simply contributing to the continuation of theft.

Luchipher-Zen said:
ColourWheel said:

Resorting to piracy as a way to send a message of protest is only displaying that one cares more about consuming Anime than actually trying to make any kind of statement. It would be like someone trying to boycott a company but still end up constantly using their products every day. It's having your cake and eating it too. Even so, resorting to piracy is not the best alternative for a protest. You want to talk about idealism, consumers can use services that don't treat them unfairly (not like there is simply only one legit streaming service that exists) or simply go back to consuming Anime the way a lot of people use to which was on physical media and carefully make sure one doesn't consume anything coming directly from the company they are trying to boycott.
not like there is simply only one legit streaming service that exists

In practice, there is the bright (sarcasm, and yes, profitable) idea that many shows are exclusive to one streaming platform.
Mar 29, 6:57 PM

May 2023
@ColourWheel
ColourWheel said:
A company doesn't need User consent to remove shows off their platforms. I have seen other Users make this kind of complaint before where a company will change their User agreement while Users will not recognizing that they originally agree to said agreements when they signed up where it's specifically stated almost all the time they are always "subject to change" over time. It's been this way even before internet piracy.

This by itself shows how little you know. I have already written about this in the first post [about SONY-Discovery debacle]. Yes, if the commodity is "purchased" a company needs to have user consent to remove it. This is what forced SONY to revert to putting shows back there, despite removal being legal under EULA. And your argument in support of rubbish "subject to change" loophole in EULA shows what your understanding is. Well, laws are always subject to change. And it depends on perspective slavery ones was legal, now illegal, someday forms of piracy would be legal against ill-meant providers. One must fight and show resistance for it. Piracy is that resistance.

[And the change of EULA whenever they please is one of the major drivers of piracy btw. This is what has driven even people who never thought of piracy as an option (those who valued quality over price convenience due to commercial use) to opt and promote piracy. Search youtube, you'd find many prominent figures in their diaspora, have videos why they finally had to opt for pirated software and such, and in most you'd find that one single issue arises, change of services without notice and without option of debate and contemplation with the users. ]

ColourWheel said:
If Users want to maintain the security of actually owning media content, you have no sympathy from me, when physical media exists.

Similarly, companies that don't want stuff pirated yet treat consumers poorly have no sympathy from me. If companies want to maintain security over their licensed products, they should be the ones to find ways to plug the piracy leak holes. I am free to choose what I purchase, where I purchase and how much I purchase it for, when I am in the market. You say user's should opt for physical media? Well, I say companies should try and see if they can keep pirated material out of market. Nobody would use them if it's not accessible. Law is on their side, why can't they try and keep material out of market, if they can.

ColourWheel said:
This is just an absurd line of argument you are going down here.

Well, you'd find every counter as absurd only, same feeling I have for your arguments.

ColourWheel said:
Anime is not the only form of entertainment that exists let alone even a good excuse to simply resort to piracy. There are a multitude of ways for one to be entertained which don't rely on internet piracy.

Again, so you would choose what I have for entertainment, you'd decide where I should get it from, you'd determine till what time I have access to it, you'd be the overseer of everything and I am to pay for that? You don't get to choose my options for me. It's plain and simple, I want anime, I go to the web, and find the best product available to me. Not my liability to ensure free stuff is not on market. I would choose whatever is best for me [same as the company does] and you get no say in it [same as the company says]. Just as you say "There are a multitude of ways for one to be entertained which don't rely on internet piracy. " There are multitude of ways to increase revenue without being a crappy service provider to the end user.

ColourWheel said:
How is any legitimate business model realistically suppose to compete with an illegitimate one that takes their products and simply just gives them away for free? They can't.

Yes, they can. By listening to the user base, their problems and demands. If not meet them entirely, meet them halfway, If can't, explain to the users in a non-corporate bullshit way. Solve user problems in a humane way and not treat them as a cash cow or a subscription number. If the service is worth it people will choose legitimate access over piracy. Everyone hates adware and malware, the popups. If the service provided is worth it, I would pay gladly to avoid those. But in reality they are not. Which is why the free service with annoying ads and risk are more tolerable than paid poor service.

Legitimate business model do compete with an illegitimate ones and have won. Steam gaming service is preferred by gamers. They ensured multiple things to vie customers to their legal side of business- good service, all major titles at one place [they literally fought for this], elasticity in affordability wherever they could. Microsoft improved their services. Now majority of the OS user base prefers legitimate copy over pirated Windows, or say Office suite. YouTube had survived for years over other competitors by ad model. There were ad-free versions all over market, hardly anyone used those. Even with current scenario of YouTube enforcing ads, and using underhand methods such as crappy service on browsers other than Chrome, still majority prefers to use the legitimate service, and deal with the ads. On the other end of spectrum are NETFLIX, SONY, Adobe, Reason Studios, Pantone and so on.. They either had service issues, or altered it to get extra bucks, or in some cases stopped it completely. What did users so? Commercial users choose alternatives, f2u went with piracy.

ColourWheel said:
This is not the same as looking for competitive alternatives they are simply resorting to the continuation of theft.

Being a crappy service is not synonymous with being a competitive alternative. And the companies continue their side of thievery, whenever they please. And moreover their act is protected by law. The same law that was overturned when majority protested against it. Taking away a purchased content from a user before their due time is just as much a loot as piracy. One is justified other is not?
I will repeat, in the instance I mentioned, SONY decided to remove 1.3k "purchased" titles. Not "stream" or "rent". Which by service rules was supposed to be accessible to the user in their library till they continued to pay for the service. They literally were supposed to have a digital alternative to physically owning the media on a medium. Well, the user's were still paying, how can they remove it? Their dispute with creator is their issue, they are liable to keep the shows till end of subscription period for all users. How and why am I to trust they will not do this with their other services?

ColourWheel said:
Resorting to piracy as a way to send a message of protest is only displaying that one cares more about consuming Anime than actually trying to make any kind of statement.

Providing crappy service with disparity across the user base, is only displaying they care only about money and not the quality of service they are providing in lieu of it. Boycotting is better when I have problem with the content, pirates don't have problem over content, they love anime. They have problem with the service, and piracy of content, send the message, we are interested in the goods, but your service model ain't fit to serve it.

ColourWheel said:
Even so, resorting to illegal streaming is not the best alternative for a protest.

I am not saying it is. but it's the most easily enforced form of protest for masses. Ask any pirateer, they don't like ads, they don't like redirects to third-party websites, nobody wishes for their system to be infected with malware. It's not the best alternative, but it is the most effective one. Boycotting anime has far severe impact on the end creator than piracy, which has less impact on end creator and more on the actual culprit, gobble-giant mediator, i.e. the steaming service company.

ColourWheel said:
You want to talk about idealism, consumers can use services that don't treat them unfairly

That's what they are doing, those who have moralism + idealism purchase physical media which is on high in Japan and Europe.. Those who have shed the moralism prefer the free for ad service availability, just cuz it's labled piracy cuz it hurts someone's greed and moralism doesn't mean the service is not an option to be considered and used.

ColourWheel said:
not like there is simply only one legit steaming service that exists

Well, unfortunately, there ain't a law that there can be one bad pea in a pod. The lobby of top companies all behave similarly..
Mar 29, 7:02 PM

Jun 2017
It's necessary for preservation. If you can't afford Crunchyroll etc you're not a lost sale.
Back in the day I would download episodes unto an USB drive to watch on my TV. What a time. Crunchyroll is just convenient in every way. It's like Netflix in the beginning.
Mar 29, 8:11 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to yoslina
@MadanielFL Ay just cause I like what they make doesn't mean I support them >:( /hjk but seriously I never spend money (also I don't have Sony on my favs wdym)
@yoslina you have aniplex which is owned by Sony so it's literally the same.

"Aniplex, Inc. (株式会社アニプレックス, Kabushiki-gaisha Anipurekkusu) is a Japanese entertainment and media company that is part of the Sony Group as a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment Japan. The company is mainly engaged in the planning, production, and distribution of anime series with a focus on multimedia deployment of its own and licensed intellectual properties (IPs)."
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

24 by Krlenir »»
8 seconds ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

14 by MogKnight »»
34 seconds ago

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 4 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu) ( 1 2 )

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

51 by MasterTasuke »»
5 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

42 by KitsuFrost »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.