Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 26, 6:05 PM

Feb 2023
I personally don't enjoy piracy, but believe it to be a necessary evil. If there was a website with reliable subtitles that weren't all localized and inaccurate, and without censorship, I would use it. But there isn't.

I also understand that some parts of the world don't have access to anything but pirate websites, so they have no choice but piracy.

However, I do believe that people who are able to should watch anime legally. For example, people in Japan. I also think it is always wrong to pirate dubs because dubs can almost always be watched legally, and if you can, you should watch subs or raws.
ForgotEyeWasHereMar 26, 6:09 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 26, 6:10 PM

Jan 2021
sorry no sorry
but my first time watching anime like an otaku was thru piracy so i can't say that is a bad thing

Mar 26, 6:18 PM

Apr 2016
I don't really care.
I am the kind of person that pirates even free stuff.
I have even pirated games that I already had.
SasbyekMar 26, 6:23 PM
Mar 26, 6:18 PM
Feb 2024
So....... I'm from New Zealand. There is only so much a vpn can get me unfortunately.
Piracy is a necessary evil for me
Please go easy on my soul
Mar 26, 6:20 PM

May 2021
Piracy is a big topic these days on MAL I see. I'm voting neutral on this. The only take I have here is that whoever you are, wherever you are, you should be able to enjoy anime if you want to. If you have to pirate to watch anime in your country then so be it.

As far as dubs go, I actually have a question about this. Are there groups out there making fan-dubs? I don't watch dub and don't plan on watching any dubs but I have seen fan-subbed anime before. Actually kind of curious about that, I would imagine that's not a thing but I do wonder.
Mar 26, 6:23 PM

Oct 2019
Piracy is an issue of convenience, If you can afford your hobby, with a reasonable price, 99% of people will pay. and the remaining 99% of those remaining 1% wouldn't buy the product if they couldn't pirate it.

But the thing is, when you can't even watch a singular show/movies series at times, by having a streaming service, of course you have to pirate.

You would be paying 100+ $ a month for streaming if you're hoping to watch everything or even most things that interests you, and even after that a ton of older shows just aren't licensed anywhere.

add the fact pirate sites have genuinely better service with multiple video players in case one of them is not working and genuinely better UI, and yeah of course I pirate. I have 1 singular streaming site, and I am not willing to buy more.

Specially because sometimes I even pirate the stuff ON THAT STREAMING SITE because it's just easier.

like with disney +, you can't even do a watch along with your friends, cause they have a measure that makes the stream black, how fucked is that? Some sites don't even let you take screen shots!
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Mar 26, 6:25 PM

Aug 2016
All hail piracy, the greatest thing to ever grace the internet!
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Mar 26, 6:38 PM

Oct 2017
I'd say it's kind of necessary as there are so many shows that are just inaccessible due to legal rights issues, shitty distribution from sites like Netflix that hold back content, purposefully making the Japanese version inaccessible, or some shows just never getting picked up. To quote Gabe Newel, piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Mar 26, 6:48 PM

Feb 2021
I just don't like when people who pirate make fun of those that don't.

Like, you are making fun of the people funding the stuff you watch and like.
Literally, if no one paid for anime, and everyone watched it for free, anime wouldn't exist.

And paying is more than just streaming, I'm talking about those that buy the blu-rays, watch anime movies on theaters, and on TV.
Mar 26, 6:51 PM

Feb 2021
I agree with you the people who can watch it legally, should. That's how I do it.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Mar 26, 7:24 PM

Jun 2007
I do not morally shame piracy itself, but at this point, I'd go with "necessary evil" for those in underserved regions and those who're looking for old/obscure titles that aren't readily available. Aside from unavailability, anime piracy is a pricing problem, despite what Lord GabeN said about a different medium 13 years ago.

Anime piracy used to be a service problem in the pre-streaming era, when piracy consisted of downloading/streaming fansubbed anime within days/weeks of the JP broadcasts, while the official releases were physical-media-only, and came out 1-3 years after the shows aired in Japan. "Service problem" rings hollow in the streaming era, when legal releases are available alongside the broadcasts, and when most pirates are watching the same new/popular shows that are (dependent on region) legally available, via straight rips of the legal streams with the exact same translations.

Doesn't "I don't want to pay for multiple subscriptions" boil down to "I should get everything I want for no more than the cost of one subscription" -- a problem with pricing? That said, there's no need to be a perfect angel that subscribes to every single streaming site; there's plenty of middle ground between "pay for everything" and "pay for nothing."

Horizon248 said:
As far as dubs go, I actually have a question about this. Are there groups out there making fan-dubs? I don't watch dub and don't plan on watching any dubs but I have seen fan-subbed anime before. Actually kind of curious about that, I would imagine that's not a thing but I do wonder.

Fan-dubs are not really a thing, at least not for ongoing/airing anime. See spoiler below for details.

Mar 26, 7:30 PM

Nov 2019
piracy is kind of a double edged sword

on one hand, it keeps older anime (looking at you) afloat so future generations can enjoy it as much as we do

on the other hand, it damages the industry and those "season 2" anime might not get their second season because the interest isn't actively recorded (or so I think)

but on the OTHER hand, some anime don't get releases despite popularity or other reasons, making piracy a requirement to watch these series (unless you like dropping hundreds on a dvd)

Mar 26, 7:33 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to TempestoGod
piracy is kind of a double edged sword

on one hand, it keeps older anime (looking at you) afloat so future generations can enjoy it as much as we do

on the other hand, it damages the industry and those "season 2" anime might not get their second season because the interest isn't actively recorded (or so I think)

but on the OTHER hand, some anime don't get releases despite popularity or other reasons, making piracy a requirement to watch these series (unless you like dropping hundreds on a dvd)

@TempestoGod monster dropped last year on Netflix so as true is argument for before (the 20 years or so) now it can be watched legally.
Mar 26, 7:40 PM

Sep 2015
Back when I was a little kid, I wouldn't have watched anime if it wasn't available to watch for free.

I'm pretty sure the majority of people are the same as me, and many of us did end up spending money on anime-related stuff and it did turn into some sort of profit, be it games/clothes/DVDs, whatever.

So Piracy should stay, but the behavior of buying things should also be encouraged (not enforced).
Mar 26, 7:52 PM

May 2021
Zalis said:
Fan-dubs are not really a thing, at least not for ongoing/airing anime. See spoiler below for details.

@Zalis Thank you for taking the time to answer this random question. Like I mentioned before I'm not one to actually look for this type of content but I was interested in knowing more about it. If anything I'm understanding that the "Music and Effects" portion of recreating an original into a dub is a lot of work. I'm honestly surprised when subs take the time to subtitle the OP and ED lol. It's inspiring to know that people are out there taking it upon themselves to recreate anime at this level.
Mar 26, 8:07 PM

Mar 2021
Piracy is always based I'm not paying for something I can get for free
★・・・・・・★
If you wish to treat this incident as our nation’s scheme, that is fine by me. History is written by the victors. All of your false accusations will soon be erased.
★・・・・・・★

Mar 26, 8:11 PM

Nov 2021
Big fan of it, never gonna stop either hahaha.
Taiga best girl forever.
Mar 26, 8:12 PM
Aug 2016
I believe piracy is fine if there are no other means of experiencing a series legally in your country. If you enjoy said series, however, I think you should at least support it in some way.
Mar 26, 8:29 PM

Mar 2019
If it weren't for piracy I wouldn't have access to most of the anime I watched or manga I read. :3

Mar 26, 8:31 PM

Dec 2021
YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR, YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A HANDBAG....

Haha just joking, yeah it is a bit of a necessary evil. There's just so many anime that isn't available to watch legally. Even a famous anime movie like Perfect Blue is really hard to buy/rent/stream legally in Australia unless you have a VPN or an old DVD copy of it which is rare (although I do know one library in my area that has a really scratched copy of it). I tried to make myself feel less guilty by using a VPN but eventually I decided to cut the middleman and pirate :P
Mar 26, 9:09 PM

Nov 2019
Reply to Otakupervert890
@TempestoGod monster dropped last year on Netflix so as true is argument for before (the 20 years or so) now it can be watched legally.
@Otakupervert890 Wait really? That's awesome, I genuinely didn't hear about Monster dropping on netflix
Mar 26, 9:10 PM
Apr 2022
I fully endorse piracy, all these services can remove and censor things whenever they want and your digital purchases can be taken away from you, you really don’t own any of the media you have. Download as much as you can.
Mar 26, 9:19 PM

Feb 2020
"What do you think of piracy?"

Good thing.

SerafosMar 26, 9:53 PM
Mar 26, 9:22 PM

Nov 2011
Reply to MakimaEnjoyer
I fully endorse piracy, all these services can remove and censor things whenever they want and your digital purchases can be taken away from you, you really don’t own any of the media you have. Download as much as you can.
@PaleHominid these days you can buy drm-free lossless albums from online music stores and once you buy them you actually own them. you can download it, re-download it, and use the music files you bought as you please. so at least for music, drm is not an excuse to pirate. besides, there's always spotify, where you only have to spend maybe 10 seconds on ads, so you literally are not paying anything other than 10 seconds of your time.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Mar 26, 9:26 PM

Jun 2016
It's based. And not just for anime, it's based with any media.

Mar 26, 9:35 PM
May 2018
Reply to Horizon248
Piracy is a big topic these days on MAL I see. I'm voting neutral on this. The only take I have here is that whoever you are, wherever you are, you should be able to enjoy anime if you want to. If you have to pirate to watch anime in your country then so be it.

@Horizon248 the only fandub I've ever encountered was for Happy Sugar Life and iirc they only dubbed the first couple of episodes.
I do watch some dubs (especially if the show isn't worth my undivided attention) and I like some English VAs... But I mostly watch subbed content
Mar 26, 9:44 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to DreamingBeats
@PaleHominid these days you can buy drm-free lossless albums from online music stores and once you buy them you actually own them. you can download it, re-download it, and use the music files you bought as you please. so at least for music, drm is not an excuse to pirate. besides, there's always spotify, where you only have to spend maybe 10 seconds on ads, so you literally are not paying anything other than 10 seconds of your time.
@DreamingBeats I don’t really care about music. Also, I don’t need an excuse to pirate. It’s free and I don’t have to give money to shitty companies. That’s enough for me.
Mar 26, 9:48 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to APolygons2
Piracy is an issue of convenience, If you can afford your hobby, with a reasonable price, 99% of people will pay. and the remaining 99% of those remaining 1% wouldn't buy the product if they couldn't pirate it.

But the thing is, when you can't even watch a singular show/movies series at times, by having a streaming service, of course you have to pirate.

You would be paying 100+ $ a month for streaming if you're hoping to watch everything or even most things that interests you, and even after that a ton of older shows just aren't licensed anywhere.

add the fact pirate sites have genuinely better service with multiple video players in case one of them is not working and genuinely better UI, and yeah of course I pirate. I have 1 singular streaming site, and I am not willing to buy more.

Specially because sometimes I even pirate the stuff ON THAT STREAMING SITE because it's just easier.

like with disney +, you can't even do a watch along with your friends, cause they have a measure that makes the stream black, how fucked is that? Some sites don't even let you take screen shots!
ForgotEyeWasHere said:
What do you think of piracy?

This is my opinion and I know I will likely piss off quite a few Users by saying this...

While some Users might think Piracy is a necessary evil, Piracy has created a culture of unprecedented entitlement.

APolygons2 said:

No one has to do anything. Piracy is a conscious choice. Users who do not have access to something are choosing to resort to piracy because they feel they are entitled to something that isn't officially available to them financially or otherwise.

It's this sense of entitlement I will never understand about Anime fandom. Simply because something exists, fans feel the need they deserve to have access to it no matter what.

I grew up during a time period when most Anime wasn't even officially available outside of Japan and when Anime did reach the West it would take sometimes up to a decade for some franchises to even reach western audiences officially, let alone fans being able to pirate them in the 1st place.

If I can't afford something that would cost money, no matter how financially realistic or unrealistic or even it's official availability, my 1st thought wouldn't be to just try to steal it. That's how I view piracy.

Piracy is theft.
ColourWheelMar 26, 10:31 PM
Mar 26, 9:50 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to TempestoGod
@Otakupervert890 Wait really? That's awesome, I genuinely didn't hear about Monster dropping on netflix
@TempestoGod yeah it's where I watched my next in line (very soon) it's LOGH since it's on Hidive.
Mar 26, 10:05 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to ColourWheel
ForgotEyeWasHere said:
What do you think of piracy?

This is my opinion and I know I will likely piss off quite a few Users by saying this...

While some Users might think Piracy is a necessary evil, Piracy has created a culture of unprecedented entitlement.

APolygons2 said:

No one has to do anything. Piracy is a conscious choice. Users who do not have access to something are choosing to resort to piracy because they feel they are entitled to something that isn't officially available to them financially or otherwise.

It's this sense of entitlement I will never understand about Anime fandom. Simply because something exists, fans feel the need they deserve to have access to it no matter what.

I grew up during a time period when most Anime wasn't even officially available outside of Japan and when Anime did reach the West it would take sometimes up to a decade for some franchises to even reach western audiences officially, let alone fans being able to pirate them in the 1st place.

If I can't afford something that would cost money, no matter how financially realistic or unrealistic or even it's official availability, my 1st thought wouldn't be to just try to steal it. That's how I view piracy.

Piracy is theft.
ColourWheel said:
No one has to do anything. Piracy is a conscious choice.

You have to pirate, IF you want to realistically watch most or all the things that interest you.

That is what I said.

ColourWheel said:
If I can't afford to consume something that would cost money, no matter how financially realistic or unrealistic, my 1st thought wouldn't be to just try to steal it. That's how I view piracy.

Piracy is theft.

You are just objectively wrong. Piracy is NOT theft by definition of what stealing even is.

you can't "steal" something, without the person who owns the thing loosing it. it's not stealing, it's copyright infringement.

ColourWheel said:

Right, but there is a difference between lack of availability, and the availability being locked behind an extremely inconvenient paywall that in so many ways has has worse service than pirate sites.

I own 95% of the games that I have played. but the ratio is the exact opposite for anime. because unlike anime, gaming is a hobby that you can reasonably afford to have.

ColourWheel said:

Entertainment is for the consumer.

If the consumer isn't happy, they aren't going to feel bad about """stealing"""" from the massive companies.

I am not entitled to the entertainment, but I am also under no obligation to play fair and be a good little boy who watches everything legally, when the other option is right there.

I'm not going to pretend like I am such a morally good angle that the thought of doing something as bad as not giving money for a shit service, is out of the question.

Piracy isn't good. But it is far more the fault of the provider. If the service was good, I wouldn't pirate. It's as simple as that.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Mar 26, 10:21 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to APolygons2
ColourWheel said:
No one has to do anything. Piracy is a conscious choice.

You have to pirate, IF you want to realistically watch most or all the things that interest you.

That is what I said.

ColourWheel said:
If I can't afford to consume something that would cost money, no matter how financially realistic or unrealistic, my 1st thought wouldn't be to just try to steal it. That's how I view piracy.

Piracy is theft.

You are just objectively wrong. Piracy is NOT theft by definition of what stealing even is.

you can't "steal" something, without the person who owns the thing loosing it. it's not stealing, it's copyright infringement.

ColourWheel said:

Right, but there is a difference between lack of availability, and the availability being locked behind an extremely inconvenient paywall that in so many ways has has worse service than pirate sites.

I own 95% of the games that I have played. but the ratio is the exact opposite for anime. because unlike anime, gaming is a hobby that you can reasonably afford to have.

ColourWheel said:

If the consumer isn't happy, they aren't going to feel bad about """stealing"""" from the massive companies.

I am not entitled to the entertainment, but I am also under no obligation to play fair and be a good little boy who watches everything legally, when the other option is right there.

I'm not going to pretend like I am such a morally good angle that the thought of doing something as bad as not giving money for a shit service, is out of the question.

Piracy isn't good. But it is far more the fault of the provider. If the service was good, I wouldn't pirate. It's as simple as that.
APolygons2 said:

You might not like this but Piracy is theft. You can even google the question, "Is piracy theft?" just to find out yourself.

APolygons2 said:

Feelings are irrelevant. The thing is if one is not paying for something that normally cost money, one is not truly a consumer to begin with when dealing with Piracy because they aren't paying for anything to begin with. Doesn't matter if it's not fair if something is unrealistically out of reach for them. It's still theft.

This goes back to the whole thing of entitlement. One is simply just making up excuses for their piracy because they feel entitled to something just because it exists.

You might not like my opinion, but that's how I feel about it.

APolygons2 said:

No I don't need to resort to piracy. I can afford to pay for multiple subscriptions to streaming sites and watch most of the things that interest me. If something is not Officially available to me I simply just wait till I can get my hands on an Official physical copy of it (I have done this countless of times before). If something ceases to ever be available to me (extremely rare instance), tough for those distributors to lose out on my business as a consumer and I just move onto something else...
ColourWheelMar 26, 11:28 PM
Mar 26, 10:27 PM

Apr 2010
I wouldn't even call it "evil", just necessary when it comes to anime and manga, for multiple reasons others have already outlined.

In a perfect world with universal availability, and without malicious anti-customer practices and garbage quality official releases, there would be no justification for pirating anime and manga, but we're not exactly in that kind of scenario are we.
Mar 26, 10:40 PM

Apr 2015
I'm always going to say this, but so long as official sites have half-assed players that don't work half the time time, have very few older shows and when the blu-ray of the anime I'd love to have cost $40-80 for 12 episodes (or that same amount for 2-episode volumes of some anime) I'll forever use the free alternative. And for the shills, stop tagging me, idgaf.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 26, 10:43 PM

Jan 2009
i chose necessary evil considering not everything is available on legal ways

also im poor living in a poor country that only has enough money for cheap internet
Mar 26, 10:44 PM

Sep 2018
I think it is great for your average poor person, or anyone looking to play games. People can even pirate to avoid drm or getoverpriced dlc for free which is a great thing imo.
Mar 26, 10:44 PM

Sep 2022
There are two reasons why I pirate: I love free things. That's all there is to it. I'm not gonna justify my reason, and if there are people that think we're thieves for it, so be it.

The second reason: sometimes, if I pirate something and really love it, I'll try to buy the real thing if possible. In the anime space, there isn't really a lot of ways to directly support studios especially when you're not within Asia. You can subscribe to streaming services, but I believe they don't receive much profit from that.

However, when it comes to video games, you can easily go to Steam and support the developer directly by buying their game. Some games I pirated and then eventually bought later on was Stardew Valley and Terraria.

In general however, I don't feel bad for pirating.
Gremlin Eris be like:
Mar 26, 11:09 PM

Jun 2011
It's a necessary evil, it helps you reach a broader, wider audience, and in turn makes people want to go watch the new big thing that everybody is talking about.

The people that won't pay for legal service will not pay for one even without piracy, and a lot of them do not have the means to.
The people that love the platform / medium will pay for the legal service just to support the cause, even if some of them still do pirate their stuffs.

There are also the type of people that will only spend money on the shows they really like, especially manga volumes, and how do they get introduced to said manga? Piracy.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 26, 11:24 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to ColourWheel
APolygons2 said:

You might not like this but Piracy is theft. You can even google the question, "Is piracy theft?" just to find out yourself.

APolygons2 said:

Feelings are irrelevant. The thing is if one is not paying for something that normally cost money, one is not truly a consumer to begin with when dealing with Piracy because they aren't paying for anything to begin with. Doesn't matter if it's not fair if something is unrealistically out of reach for them. It's still theft.

This goes back to the whole thing of entitlement. One is simply just making up excuses for their piracy because they feel entitled to something just because it exists.

You might not like my opinion, but that's how I feel about it.

APolygons2 said:

No I don't need to resort to piracy. I can afford to pay for multiple subscriptions to streaming sites and watch most of the things that interest me. If something is not Officially available to me I simply just wait till I can get my hands on an Official physical copy of it (I have done this countless of times before). If something ceases to ever be available to me (extremely rare instance), tough for those distributors to lose out on my business as a consumer and I just move onto something else...
ColourWheel said:
You might not like this but Piracy is theft.

I will say this for your own good.

This isn't even just about this one argument. asking google leading questions like this is how people become flat earthers.

Also, this tells me you have very little understanding of what "context" is. I said it is objectively not stealing, but by the fact that I called it copyright infringement instead, I thought it was obvious that I was talking about "theft" in law.

Piracy does not fall under theft, it falls under copyright infringement, that is not my opinion. it is literally true.

ColourWheel said:
No I don't need to resort to piracy. I can afford to pay for multiple subscriptions to streaming sites and watch most of the things that interest me.

Well, I'm 19, living with my parents, and studying, my only income right now is a casual job at mcdonald that I have besides my classes.
most streaming sites, are about 10$ month nowadays.

Even if I get 3-4 which are still not enough to watch all the things that interest me, that is still 30-40 dollars a month, and 360-480$ a year. Now considering how I have other interests besides watching anime, is it really realistic for me to pay that amount of money just to get a worse service than the pirate sites?

I could of course, just NOT WATCH what I want to watch....

but I am not selfless enough to neglect my own interest, for the sake of a random massive company. I simply do not hold such a high morals to see that as such a bad act that I would have to avoid. most people are the same.
Also available at:

Mar 27, 12:02 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to APolygons2
ColourWheel said:
You might not like this but Piracy is theft.

I will say this for your own good.

This isn't even just about this one argument. asking google leading questions like this is how people become flat earthers.

Also, this tells me you have very little understanding of what "context" is. I said it is objectively not stealing, but by the fact that I called it copyright infringement instead, I thought it was obvious that I was talking about "theft" in law.

Piracy does not fall under theft, it falls under copyright infringement, that is not my opinion. it is literally true.

ColourWheel said:
No I don't need to resort to piracy. I can afford to pay for multiple subscriptions to streaming sites and watch most of the things that interest me.

Well, I'm 19, living with my parents, and studying, my only income right now is a casual job at mcdonald that I have besides my classes.

Even if I get 3-4 which are still not enough to watch all the things that interest me, that is still 30-40 dollars a month, and 360-480$ a year. Now considering how I have other interests besides watching anime, is it really realistic for me to pay that amount of money just to get a worse service than the pirate sites?

but I am not selfless enough to neglect my own interest, for the sake of a random massive company. I simply do not hold such a high morals to see that as such a bad act that I would have to avoid. most people are the same.
APolygons2 said:
asking google leading questions like this is how people become flat earthers.

A bit Ironic because if you ask Google if the earth is flat they would say it's a sphere. Which is nothing close to being flat.

You could do all the mental gymnastics you want to somehow justify piracy and claim it's not theft but you are only fooling yourself.

APolygons2 said:

There you have it, you are simply just making up selfish excuses to justify Anime piracy. It goes back to this culture of entitlement, where people expect to have access to something just because it simply exists.
Mar 27, 12:05 AM

Aug 2012
I'll go with neutral.

Back in the day, it was basically the only way to watch anime in the West. Especially places that weren't the US. Heck, we didn't even get the Big Three over here.
Without piracy, anime never would've gotten this big outside of Japan.

There's no service that has all anime. They're divided over every single streaming service there is, a lot of anime are geolocked and even then a ton of older stuff isn't even on any streaming service.

If a pirate really likes an anime, there's a fair chance they'll buy the manga/merch of said anime so in the end they still earn money from those.
Mar 27, 12:12 AM

Jul 2020
everything on the internet should be free, that of course includes anime too
Mar 27, 12:21 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to ColourWheel
APolygons2 said:

A bit Ironic because if you ask Google if the earth is flat they would say it's a sphere. Which is nothing close to being flat.

You could do all the mental gymnastics you want to somehow justify piracy and claim it's not theft but you are only fooling yourself.

APolygons2 said:

There you have it, you are simply just making up selfish excuses to justify Anime piracy. It goes back to this culture of entitlement, where people expect to have access to something just because it simply exists.
ColourWheel said:

I expect to have access to it, with a price that is reasonable to pay, and a service that isn't worse than pirate sites.

It is selfish.

I am thinking about myself, and to me, my entertainment is more important than some massive company not gaining 10 extra bucks.

I will say it again, I am NOT morally upstanding enough to make that sacrifice for a shitty service.

But most people are like that, you have to be either ignorant or an idiot to think most people don't care more about themselves than some stupid company. specially those companies often cancel shows for tax purposes, and so many other shitty things.

If your entire argument is that "piracy is not something that a morally perfect person would do"

then yeah you're right.

But the reason piracy exists, is lack of convenience. Again, I basically never pirate games, and regularly watch movies in cinema. If I wasn't willing to pay a reasonable price, streaming wouldn't be the only area where I pirate often.

and again, I do pay for 1 streaming site.
Also available at:

Mar 27, 12:27 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to ColourWheel
APolygons2 said:

APolygons2 said:

ColourWheel said:

also for the record, yes fucking obviously. you need far more specific questions to get google to say earth is flat.

come dude, I know you aren't stupid, don't just make a point for the sake of making it. actually think before typing stuff like this.
Also available at:

Mar 27, 12:49 AM

Mar 2021
@APolygons2

To be clear, I generally could care less how Users choose to consume Anime. Just don't pretend Piracy isn't theft.

When I think about piracy as theft, I think back to the mid 2000s when I was invited to go see Dr. Dre perform live with a few friends with backstage passes my friend won from a local radio contest. One of his acquaintances automatically got his backstage pass revoked when we finally had the privilege to meet Dr. Dre in person. The thing that got him kicked out was when he told Dr. Dre, without thinking about what he was saying, telling him he basically pirated all of his music. Dr. Dre started loudly yelling, "Get this Motherfucker out of my sight!". 6 security guards instantly escorted him out and took away his backstage pass. Before that happened everything was cool and we all even got Dr. Dre to sign our concert t-shirts. After that it was pretty awkward staying backstage because suddenly we all felt not welcome anymore, even though no one else in our group did anything wrong.

ColourWheelMar 27, 3:09 AM
Mar 27, 12:58 AM

Nov 2017
if we think legal point, it is a bad thing
if we think moral point; it could be bad, neutral or good thing
Not everything in the world is black

Anyway there are so many piracy topics in this site
RinenkaMar 27, 4:55 AM
Mar 27, 12:59 AM
Mar 2017
In my case ( and definitely almost 85-90% of people)
If there was a legal site licensing all animes and accessible everywhere , then I’ll certainly stop piracy….

But in my country even a vpn can’t do much
and take crunchyroll for an example …. Almost half of the animes I want to watch aren’t licensed there and I can’t even take screen shots even with premium..

Like really ? No I’m definitely not paying when I can have a better service and FOR FREE …
Mar 27, 2:10 AM

May 2023
Piracy is the necessary evil. I have been on these high seas for a long time. I have reasons that are very justifiable to any reasonable person [even proponents of stringent capitalism]..
Reasoning(s), though are similar in periphery, they are different in root. I thought of giving them here [especially software and published material piracy], but won't be unnecessary. So I would stick to anime piracy.

1. Unavailability of all titles in any of the services due to laws of the state. I won't pay for the entire service and have access to a few. Here, the slog is the state law which bans stuff. And by stuff I mean digital media on both online platforms and physical mediums.

2. Company vs User terminology and meaning ascertained of the word "ownership". If I pay for something to own, I demand complete control over it. This is not the case in reality. Providers can at any time change terms of use. They can remove titles, titles you paid for. Say I pay for a yearly subscription on a platform. Then midway though the year, they remove the prime shows I paid the sub for from their platform. What are you gonna do? NOTHING. You cant fight their EULA. You cant fight their lobby. You cant fight their lawyers.

And since the prime monopolizer of the current anime market is Crunchyroll, this is more than likely to happen and keep happening. For those who don't know, Crunchyroll LLC is owned by Sony Group Corporation. And there can't be a better example of what I say above than the instance of
SONY removing 1,317 shows from Playstation overnight [they revoked the removal after ~two months, uproar and about +1k court cases].

What SONY said:

"
Discovery Entitlements Affected Titles

As of 31 December 2023, due to our content licensing arrangements with content providers, you will no longer be able to watch any of your previously purchased Discovery content and the content will be removed from your video library.

We sincerely thank you for your continued support.

Thank you,

PlayStation Store

"

See what I mean. They removed items you "purchased". Without your consent. You have no say in this. And remember, this is for item "Purchased", not "Stream" or "Rent".
You own a laptop made by X company that has Y company's CPU. They have a dispute, goons of X come and take away your laptop. Fit any analogy in this scenario.

Piracy from this side seems just.
Mar 27, 2:27 AM

Mar 2023
Piracy is necessary if you are trying to watch a obscure anime with no offical release outside of Japan.

Mar 27, 2:42 AM

Apr 2012
I think we should abolish all capital, including copyright.

Oh, and anyone who thinks "piracy is theft" is a complete ignoramus. Unless you mean actually attacking ships, threatening the sailors with weapons and taking their cargo. Imagine trying to explain that intellectual garbage to a member of a pre-capitalist or post-capitalist society.
Mar 27, 3:39 AM

Dec 2015
Piracy is different in terms of Polish law - You are prohibited from uploading/sharing it. But you can watch/listen/read or even download only for yourself without being punished as it is not considered pirating in Polish law.

In Polish there's only x anime in Netflix nothing more, so 99% of anime is not available here in my national language, so pirating is not only allowed but the only possible way to watch anime without english subs.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Which MAL User Would You Like to Meet in Real Life? (Useless Thread #54) ( 1 2 3 )

Erebus_Akeldama - Nov 20, 2021

114 by ErenYeager_69 »»
3 seconds ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

18 by Ratris_Decision »»
6 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

34 by Ratris_Decision »»
3 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

19 by maya2003s »»
4 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

7 by maya2003s »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.