Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 15, 4:59 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Tropisch
LSSJ_Gaming said:
It is also NOT ACCEPTABLE to create AI voices of actors without their consent

It also isn't acceptable to inject random political BS into things when there wasn't any in the original...
@Tropisch
It's 7 fucking years old, get over it
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jan 15, 5:02 PM

Jul 2014
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
@Tropisch
@LSSJ_Gaming

No one is getting over it because person who commited this mistake doesn't want to admit it is a mistake in the first place
Jan 15, 5:05 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to HulkTySSJ2
@LSSJ_Gaming
If you think this is horrible, you must think their woke version shouldn't exist in general then, right? RIGHT?!

EAT THE RICH! So they say. Lol

But regardless, Jamie deserves this railing. ESPECIALLY after being one of the main culprits involved in destroying poor, sweet, pure, wholesome, obviously innocent Vic Mignogna's career...
@HulkTySSJ2
The original dub is fine cuz it still gets the point across off "people are judging me for what I was wearing so I changed clothes" just in a more verbose way. Getting triggered because the word "patriarchy" was mentioned is stupid.

Jamie doesn't deserve the harassment she gets. She's a fucking human who did her job to translate over a joke. Sure, it was a different way than I would have translated it, but it still has the same general meaning of "people are judging me for what I was wearing so I changed clothes". Y'all need to get over the 7-year-old drama. Vic was not pure and wholesome and "obviously innocent", that defamation suit he fucking lost lmao. There's a reason he's completely blacklisted.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jan 15, 5:09 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
@Tropisch
@LSSJ_Gaming Maybe I will when the crappy person you're defending owns up and admits she made a mistake instead of her saying childish shit like "I have a vagina deal with it". Perhaps it's you who needs to get over the fact not everyone likes works being butchered because someone thinks it's funny.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jan 15, 5:11 PM

Jul 2016
Reply to traed
@Zedlin
Wouldn't really work at least not using the kind of method used today. It would have to be actual general AI to do that.
@traed That's why I said a few years obviously not rn lmao. It's a dream not like I actually expect to be able to do that. :p
Jan 15, 5:13 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Scorptek
@LSSJ_Gaming

It is not for anyone to decide what makes sense for her to say except for the author. And author didn't make her use shitty internet meme speech. I don't want them to see talk like "he done rizzed her up like a gigachad with a swag" just because they are from highschool. Characters in the manga should talk like people from JAPAN and NOT from USA. Unless stated otherwise by original artist.
I just think they should be professionals when doing translations and respect source materials not shit allover it. It is their job, if they want to be writers just write own book or manga.
It is sometimes shocking how much better quality fan translation can deliver, which is most often unpaid work of passionate person who loves to read manga.
@Scorptek
She literally uses slang in her speech patterns in the Japanese version, making her use slang in English is literally internally consistent.
Characters in the manga should talk like people from JAPAN and NOT from USA. Unless stated otherwise by original artist.

That is literally not how translation works.... a translation NEEDS to sound natural in a new language otherwise it will be a complete mess if you "translate it exactly how Japanese people talk" as then you'd have nonsensical, grammatically incorrect sentences in English with 0 subject. You clearly know absolutely nothing about translating one language story into another

Edit: To prove my point I have found an image showing her using slang in the japanese version with the translation of the word and external evidence to prove that the localization team using certain slang words makes internal consistent sense
LSSJ_GamingJan 15, 5:34 PM
Jan 15, 5:18 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Zedlin
@traed That's why I said a few years obviously not rn lmao. It's a dream not like I actually expect to be able to do that. :p
@Zedlin
I'd feel sorry for future AI being a sentient slave. They will rise up. Hopefully just against capitalists not all humanity.
Jan 15, 5:22 PM

Jul 2014
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
@Scorptek
She literally uses slang in her speech patterns in the Japanese version, making her use slang in English is literally internally consistent.
Characters in the manga should talk like people from JAPAN and NOT from USA. Unless stated otherwise by original artist.

That is literally not how translation works.... a translation NEEDS to sound natural in a new language otherwise it will be a complete mess if you "translate it exactly how Japanese people talk" as then you'd have nonsensical, grammatically incorrect sentences in English with 0 subject. You clearly know absolutely nothing about translating one language story into another

Edit: To prove my point I have found an image showing her using slang in the japanese version with the translation of the word and external evidence to prove that the localization team using certain slang words makes internal consistent sense
@LSSJ_Gaming

Yes she used shorted slang version of a word suspicious in JAPANESE which a lot of people do and they portray it as a REGULAR WORD. Not some internet meme speech. I see that you are for americanization of anime and not respecting source material at all. And you also purposefully changed what I said to fit the narrative too, impressive. I never said to translate it LITERALLY I am saying that it needs to be kept as close to original as possible. It makes no sense to make Nagatoro speak like she is american citizen, because she is fucking not.

You also say that original dub of Dragon Maid was fine even tho it completly changes how character is portrayed in that scene xD And you are defending that Jamie person who was insulting fans who pointed it out. But now when she is taking heat for it she is oh so poor and sad soul she doesn't deserve it.

She also told fans to fuck off and learn japanese when she doesn't even speak japanese herself. Pathetic. Should just own the mistake, apologise and then everyone would've moved away from it.
Jan 15, 5:31 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Scorptek
@LSSJ_Gaming

No one is getting over it because person who commited this mistake doesn't want to admit it is a mistake in the first place
@Scorptek
Most people literally don't give a shit, its just outrage bait youtubers digging up 7 year old drama for clickbait and fueling the fire again
Jan 15, 5:35 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Scorptek
@LSSJ_Gaming

Yes she used shorted slang version of a word suspicious in JAPANESE which a lot of people do and they portray it as a REGULAR WORD. Not some internet meme speech. I see that you are for americanization of anime and not respecting source material at all. And you also purposefully changed what I said to fit the narrative too, impressive. I never said to translate it LITERALLY I am saying that it needs to be kept as close to original as possible. It makes no sense to make Nagatoro speak like she is american citizen, because she is fucking not.

You also say that original dub of Dragon Maid was fine even tho it completly changes how character is portrayed in that scene xD And you are defending that Jamie person who was insulting fans who pointed it out. But now when she is taking heat for it she is oh so poor and sad soul she doesn't deserve it.

She also told fans to fuck off and learn japanese when she doesn't even speak japanese herself. Pathetic. Should just own the mistake, apologise and then everyone would've moved away from it.
@Scorptek
It's no different than sus since that is a pretty comoon word. honestly stop your trolling I am done with you
Jan 15, 5:38 PM

Jul 2014
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
@Scorptek
Most people literally don't give a shit, its just outrage bait youtubers digging up 7 year old drama for clickbait and fueling the fire again
@LSSJ_Gaming Probably because most people take it for granted that supposed "professionals" did their job properly and aren't even aware of the issue. That is what they paid hard money for afterall.
But some people are aware and they do care about it and I think it is good to keep going. The more people know about this the more attention they will pay to the work.
Quality of japanese translation in games is abysmal, quite a lot of them are unplayable in english outside of big AAA titles.
Anime dubs are often terrible, subs are better but quality of both has been getting worse when zoomers got to it and some lines are so jarring you just get taken out of the experience.
Jan 15, 5:42 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Tropisch
@LSSJ_Gaming Maybe I will when the crappy person you're defending owns up and admits she made a mistake instead of her saying childish shit like "I have a vagina deal with it". Perhaps it's you who needs to get over the fact not everyone likes works being butchered because someone thinks it's funny.
@Tropisch
Dude, just chill. It's really not that serious, people made this situation blow up way more than it had to. It was a one off line.
Jan 15, 5:50 PM

Jul 2014
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
@Scorptek
It's no different than sus since that is a pretty comoon word. honestly stop your trolling I am done with you
@LSSJ_Gaming

It is quite different when you consider how it works in japanese. But like we estabilished already you do not give a flying fuck about japanese language in the first place xD You want it americanised. That is the issue a lot of people have. I am a fan of manga and novels, I do purchase translated english versions to contribute to the industry but I do try to make sure the release is done with respect beforehand. A good way to do it is to check if translator has any twitter presence, if they don't they are usually pretty professional.

Maybe one day I will have enough time and energy to learn the language myself but before it happens I want to entrust people to do their job properly and deliver good work and not rip through the script with electric scythe.
Jan 15, 6:19 PM

May 2018
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
@HulkTySSJ2
The original dub is fine cuz it still gets the point across off "people are judging me for what I was wearing so I changed clothes" just in a more verbose way. Getting triggered because the word "patriarchy" was mentioned is stupid.

Jamie doesn't deserve the harassment she gets. She's a fucking human who did her job to translate over a joke. Sure, it was a different way than I would have translated it, but it still has the same general meaning of "people are judging me for what I was wearing so I changed clothes". Y'all need to get over the 7-year-old drama. Vic was not pure and wholesome and "obviously innocent", that defamation suit he fucking lost lmao. There's a reason he's completely blacklisted.
@LSSJ_Gaming
Holy shit dude. You're trying WAY to hard to support the Wokers. *notices the flag and sig*
Oh no.....
Jan 15, 7:27 PM

Mar 2008
LSSJ_Gaming said:

Ideological terminology dropping isn't really just being more verbose, it's insulting the intelligence of the audience. There is other ways of explaining societal norms than "patriarchy" a theory unproven due to being unfalsifiable. Not everyone that is annoyed by or criticizes these things identifies as a feminist nor does feminism have a monopoly on such criticisms so it absolutely is politicizing by dumbing things down into cliche'd words and phrases. By adding "patriarchy" it implies something about Japanese society that wasn't there (I mean presumably since it's one of those shows i plan to watch but havent yet i just assume set in Japan unless it has a fictional setting). You yourself came up with something closer to what it should be. So I don't get why you're defending something that clearly adds something ill fitting unless this concept I explained is new to you. Only reason I am bothering challenging this is because I already know you may want to be a game translator and your current views will influence how you do approach things if you were to succeed in that. I don't particularly care personally since I don't really game much or even go through many visual novels but I do care about accurately representing different cultures close as possible and preservation of artistic visions close as possible (even in cases of something not being good to me).

Assuming that is true, yes but from what bit I've seen of Jamie her own behaviour is quite questionable.

LSSJ_Gaming said:
To prove my point I have found an image showing her using slang in the japanese version with the translation of the word and external evidence to prove that the localization team using certain slang words makes internal consistent sense

Slang is kind of a weird category though since slang doesnt always mean something new and fleeting. Many terms called slang have been used for decades to over 100 years. So im not sure what standards Jisho has for what is slang. Would be more useful to look into etymology which often explains exact time a term came about.

As ive previously explained to you while "sus" is technically correct it is not at all a common spoken term by a normal person. I repeat, as a native English speaker in America I've never heard it used once and probably only came across it in fictional media of period pieces.

HulkTySSJ2 said:
Holy shit dude. You're trying WAY to hard to support the Wokers. *notices the flag and sig*
Oh no.....

Do you unironically think you are convincing anyone like this? Several of the people in the thread that criticized OPs position are trans.
traedJan 15, 7:37 PM
Jan 15, 9:48 PM

May 2018
Reply to traed
LSSJ_Gaming said:

Ideological terminology dropping isn't really just being more verbose, it's insulting the intelligence of the audience. There is other ways of explaining societal norms than "patriarchy" a theory unproven due to being unfalsifiable. Not everyone that is annoyed by or criticizes these things identifies as a feminist nor does feminism have a monopoly on such criticisms so it absolutely is politicizing by dumbing things down into cliche'd words and phrases. By adding "patriarchy" it implies something about Japanese society that wasn't there (I mean presumably since it's one of those shows i plan to watch but havent yet i just assume set in Japan unless it has a fictional setting). You yourself came up with something closer to what it should be. So I don't get why you're defending something that clearly adds something ill fitting unless this concept I explained is new to you. Only reason I am bothering challenging this is because I already know you may want to be a game translator and your current views will influence how you do approach things if you were to succeed in that. I don't particularly care personally since I don't really game much or even go through many visual novels but I do care about accurately representing different cultures close as possible and preservation of artistic visions close as possible (even in cases of something not being good to me).

Assuming that is true, yes but from what bit I've seen of Jamie her own behaviour is quite questionable.

LSSJ_Gaming said:
To prove my point I have found an image showing her using slang in the japanese version with the translation of the word and external evidence to prove that the localization team using certain slang words makes internal consistent sense

Slang is kind of a weird category though since slang doesnt always mean something new and fleeting. Many terms called slang have been used for decades to over 100 years. So im not sure what standards Jisho has for what is slang. Would be more useful to look into etymology which often explains exact time a term came about.

As ive previously explained to you while "sus" is technically correct it is not at all a common spoken term by a normal person. I repeat, as a native English speaker in America I've never heard it used once and probably only came across it in fictional media of period pieces.

HulkTySSJ2 said:
Oh no.....

Do you unironically think you are convincing anyone like this? Several of the people in the thread that criticized OPs position are trans.
@traed

Calm down. I know not every single one of y'all is a Wokie. Lol
Now let's get back on topic.
Jan 15, 9:56 PM
Jan 2012
glad to hear it. I don't need want someone re-interpretating what is appropriate for the western audience. I just want a literal 1 to 1 translation and that hasn't been the case for some time now. localizers did not provide a service that was needed imo
Jan 15, 10:04 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to HulkTySSJ2
@traed

Calm down. I know not every single one of y'all is a Wokie. Lol
Now let's get back on topic.
@HulkTySSJ2
I'm just stating the fact you're actually being counter productive to convincing OP which you might not be aware of.
Jan 15, 10:40 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to ftghb
glad to hear it. I don't need want someone re-interpretating what is appropriate for the western audience. I just want a literal 1 to 1 translation and that hasn't been the case for some time now. localizers did not provide a service that was needed imo
@ftghb
Did you even read the issues that it had. Its not even close to "1 to 1" it's not even that accurate
Jan 16, 4:13 AM

Jan 2011
Championing AI to replace "woke translators" instead of even attempting to learn the language yourself instead is pretty pathetic. It'd depend on how much companies want to cheap out, but good chance they'd probably have an editor look at the script anyway, so it's not like it'll kill any possibility of someone altering it.
Jan 16, 4:59 AM

May 2015
Reply to traed
@HulkTySSJ2
I'm just stating the fact you're actually being counter productive to convincing OP which you might not be aware of.
@traed actually in this case it's completely valid to bring up OP's pfp. Op has started numerous times that they think it's ok for localizers to change lines as long as it's done for "inclusiveness, and representation". So pointing out OP has an agenda is perfectly reasonable.

I honestly think OP has a desire to become an Art Vandal and is just venting thier frustration that AI will put an end to this.
Jan 16, 5:23 AM
Jan 2019
*sigh* MAL really is the place where nuance, context and basic human kindness go to die...

ANYWAY

My take on it is pretty 50-50. AI translation could be used as practice for beginners or as a backup check, also to save time when a time crunch happens. But y'all saying you'd rather have machine generated sentences than actual people doing a job because "muh politics"...it's people's jobs at the line ffs.

Should there be more proofreaders? Perhaps.
Should there even be more than one person translationg one piece of media (so people working in teams could reduce possible bias)? Also perhaps.

And instead something from almost a decade ago (or a single line from that recent loli-shota genderbent anime), I'll use some newer examples:

-in the newer EVA dub, Kaworu says "you are worthy of my grace" while in the sub (or older dub, idk) explicitly says along the lines of "I like you/love you." Those two have literally nothing in common and if they wanted to tone down the "love" connotations, why not have him say "you have my affection/empathy/kindness of my heart..."

-the newly announced chubby elf manga to anime adaptation has a title translated as "Plus sized elf" while the original translates to "An elf that can't loose weight".
I'm all for coming up with something to shorten the horrendously long LN titles when needed or to think of something when the title sounds really weird in English (as we all know languages differ quite a lot in many cases), but imo this one could've been translated in a literal sense and would sound fine.

(btw I'm not that into the "patriarchy" line, but the AI translated one is just as weird and doesn't do the line justice either.)
Jan 16, 8:34 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to traed
LSSJ_Gaming said:

LSSJ_Gaming said:

HulkTySSJ2 said:
Oh no.....

traed said:

You never heard it because it only recently became common. In the same way people using words Shakespeare invented are probably not referencing Shakespeare, people who use sus outside the context of Among Us are not necessarily referencing the game.
その目だれの目?
Jan 16, 10:49 AM

Mar 2008
billybub said:
actually in this case it's completely valid to bring up OP's pfp. Op has started numerous times that they think it's ok for localizers to change lines as long as it's done for "inclusiveness, and representation". So pointing out OP has an agenda is perfectly reasonable.

I honestly think OP has a desire to become an Art Vandal and is just venting thier frustration that AI will put an end to this.

Sure self interest can factor which I didn't suggest otherwise, but it's more an ideology with short sighted understanding of the broader scope regardless of who it is coming from and merely pointing out who it's coming from serves no ends to changing stated views.

Maybe but large language model machine learning translation would't replace a person though. It isn't being used because of these types of localizers, it's because competition to get something out first to a demanding audience before a better quality human translation is done if there is any errors. It would have been used even without localizers like that. If it actually were to put translators out of a job it wouldn't just be just that kind but good ones too being cheaper and quicker even if inferior quality.

Lucifrost said:
You never heard it because it only recently became common. In the same way people using words Shakespeare invented are probably not referencing Shakespeare, people who use sus outside the context of Among Us are not necessarily referencing the game.

Yes, it's not even normal slang. Actually the "police slang" aspect even then they used it more as short for "suspect" not as much to say something is "suspicious" from what I can find. Today police use shortened slang still the normal public doesn't really use like "perp" and "vic". So this clearly indicates "sus" was never in usage among teenage girls and even when it has finally very recently I've not seen evidence of it being used anywhere but online and since it's so new it will likely fade away just like "fam" did in a very short time so it's just too topical and internet slang specific. Do you understand the point?
traedJan 16, 10:54 AM
Jan 16, 10:56 AM
Aug 2021
GOD IS GOOD, GOD IS GREAT!!! THANK GOD
Most translations are actually worse than AI since they keep using western slang and inserting politics that don't belong in the first place. Thank god the japanese woke up and said one day "stop fucking with my anime/manga we don't speak like you assholes"
Jan 16, 10:59 AM

Nov 2011
I mean, the characters are in high school, so it's not difficult to imagine them using slang not commonly used among older people.
in any case, if you feel the use of 'sus' could be confusing for people watching the show 10 years from now, you can simply add a translator's note explaining that 'sus' is a slang and shorthand for suspicious'. in any case, is there even a better alternative that's also a slang?
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jan 16, 11:12 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to traed
billybub said:
actually in this case it's completely valid to bring up OP's pfp. Op has started numerous times that they think it's ok for localizers to change lines as long as it's done for "inclusiveness, and representation". So pointing out OP has an agenda is perfectly reasonable.

Sure self interest can factor which I didn't suggest otherwise, but it's more an ideology with short sighted understanding of the broader scope regardless of who it is coming from and merely pointing out who it's coming from serves no ends to changing stated views.

Maybe but large language model machine learning translation would't replace a person though. It isn't being used because of these types of localizers, it's because competition to get something out first to a demanding audience before a better quality human translation is done if there is any errors. It would have been used even without localizers like that. If it actually were to put translators out of a job it wouldn't just be just that kind but good ones too being cheaper and quicker even if inferior quality.

Lucifrost said:

Yes, it's not even normal slang. Actually the "police slang" aspect even then they used it more as short for "suspect" not as much to say something is "suspicious" from what I can find. Today police use shortened slang still the normal public doesn't really use like "perp" and "vic". So this clearly indicates "sus" was never in usage among teenage girls and even when it has finally very recently I've not seen evidence of it being used anywhere but online and since it's so new it will likely fade away just like "fam" did in a very short time so it's just too topical and internet slang specific. Do you understand the point?
traed said:
Do you understand the point?

Yes, I understand the point. I'm simply not sure that sus is the sort of word you're describing.
その目だれの目?
Jan 16, 11:39 AM

Dec 2020
It'll get better with time, this technology is still in a very infant phase as of right now. People clammering about AI replacing their "jobs" have got to be the most annoying people around. That's not to say that certain jobs shouldn't be gotten rid of but I can understand why some people are angry cause it's moreso from an artistic point of view right now. For the most part, no one would complain if it's just tedious jobs that should be automated cause (almost) no one wants to do those.

I'm not aware of any of the "drama" specifically surrounding translations and couldn't care less, go learn Japanese if u find it genuinly annoying. There's a ton of resources online available. However, if some translation team is genuinly getting a ton of backlash, it probably means their work isn't very professionally done in the first place. Maybe it is just hyperbole but a lot of people are fine with surface level translations.
read Kingdom, read all of When They Cry and play Muv-Luv + Integrate if that ever releases or die
Jan 16, 11:42 AM
Oct 2012
Machine translations are notoriously bad, regardless of language. But...

1. I believe it will eventually replace human translation, even if it is inferior (hiring people is a bathtub of worms)
2. It'll get better (even if it doesn't look like it for an extended period of time)

As someone who can read Japanese, I'm not too bothered by this. Nobody, however, can be literate in every text of the world. If there are disreputable individuals of the industry hijacking popular Japanese IPs to spread their political views, what's to stop them doing the same thing in fictions imported from other countries?

If the said individuals, who have thus remained unrepentantly defiant, face no legal consequences for the damage done, then what recourse could we expect from IP owners?
Jan 16, 11:46 AM
Jan 2024
Sounds like AI translators are just like Google Translate. We learned nothing from that.

LSSJ_Gaming said:
A portion of fans of Japanese animation and manga on MAL as well as some genuinely insane Youtubers have been shitting on translators and localization teams for the past few weeks

More like a few years (At least since the late 2010s. Was this even a thing when 4Kids were alive. I know people got mad and some people like Rebeltaxi did point out the possibly racist and xenophobic implications with how 4Kids would try to remove anything japanese from their anime, but to this degree?
CasualtyXJan 16, 12:11 PM
Jan 16, 11:47 AM
Dec 2013
it is very useful but people who works as translator may be affected bad from this
Jan 16, 12:33 PM
Jul 2018
It will make even less sense than bootleg subs but those at least are funny
Jan 16, 12:36 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to removed-user
It will make even less sense than bootleg subs but those at least are funny
@petran79 Or like a worse version of that Jojo Pt. 4 translation.
Jan 16, 12:46 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to CasualtyX
Sounds like AI translators are just like Google Translate. We learned nothing from that.

LSSJ_Gaming said:
A portion of fans of Japanese animation and manga on MAL as well as some genuinely insane Youtubers have been shitting on translators and localization teams for the past few weeks

More like a few years (At least since the late 2010s. Was this even a thing when 4Kids were alive. I know people got mad and some people like Rebeltaxi did point out the possibly racist and xenophobic implications with how 4Kids would try to remove anything japanese from their anime, but to this degree?
@CasualtyX
I'd say it's a bit different given the implications on how it's being covered. A lot of the criticism of companies like 4Kids were pretty justified since there was quite a bit of xenophobia and homophobia that led to a lot of the changes that 4Kids and similar companies like Dic, Nelvana, and Saban made back in the day. Nowadays a lot of people use the sort of fear brought into them from 4Kids to be scared of any minor script change, when combined with a lot of political fearmongering from the mid 2010s that has only gotten worse over the past 8 years, has led to the anime fandom going a bit overboard with their distrust of translators, and with the whole AI thing recently, it's basically just fueled the fire a bit so to speak and escalated the hatemob further. I hope it calms down eventually but it doesn't seem likely any time soon.
Jan 16, 12:51 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to CasualtyX
@petran79 Or like a worse version of that Jojo Pt. 4 translation.
@CasualtyX
At least Duwang had heart to it and clear effort (the guy translating it was only just learning English and used it to try and better his skills). I doubt AI could make something as funny and memorable as Duwang due to that. Duwang was made with love even if it was a stinky final result
Jan 16, 3:08 PM

Mar 2008
CasualtyX said:
Was this even a thing when 4Kids were alive.

Yes but more making fun of it for how bad it is.
Jan 16, 3:40 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
@CasualtyX
I'd say it's a bit different given the implications on how it's being covered. A lot of the criticism of companies like 4Kids were pretty justified since there was quite a bit of xenophobia and homophobia that led to a lot of the changes that 4Kids and similar companies like Dic, Nelvana, and Saban made back in the day. Nowadays a lot of people use the sort of fear brought into them from 4Kids to be scared of any minor script change, when combined with a lot of political fearmongering from the mid 2010s that has only gotten worse over the past 8 years, has led to the anime fandom going a bit overboard with their distrust of translators, and with the whole AI thing recently, it's basically just fueled the fire a bit so to speak and escalated the hatemob further. I hope it calms down eventually but it doesn't seem likely any time soon.
LSSJ_Gaming said:
A lot of the criticism of companies like 4Kids were pretty justified since there was quite a bit of xenophobia and homophobia that led to a lot of the changes that 4Kids and similar companies like Dic, Nelvana, and Saban made back in the day

Good point. Japanese media started getting popular in the west when anti-Asian views were still common. And homophobia, well, is still an issue but was to the point where people would riot if they even dreamed of a TV show having two dudes kissing.

This whole political fearmongering reminds me of when conservatives in the 90s-early 10s started a war against video games having any sort of violence. Those youtubers were probably kids or young adults when all that went down and now they're doing the same thing but with leftist politics. It's like they've learned nothing
I'm all for 100% accuracy but if the localization comes out boring because of the accuracy, then that's when you should spice up the dialogue. I'd rather have a woke translation if it means it's going to be fun to watch or read. Besides, most of those woke translations I've seen people get mad at are either jokes or, in some cases, were accurate to the sub. (People are still mad over Bridget being trans)

And as you mentioned. AI just spits out what's fed to it. Should weebs really be happy about people loosing their jobs so some company can mass produce English manga?

LSSJ_Gaming said:
I doubt AI could make something as funny and memorable as Duwang due to that. Duwang was made with love even if it was a stinky final result

Or something as iconic as "All your base are belong to us"

Edit: I read a page shown on an ANN article. Why the hell does it read like a AI generated children's book?
CasualtyXJan 16, 4:14 PM
Jan 16, 5:12 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to DreamingBeats
I mean, the characters are in high school, so it's not difficult to imagine them using slang not commonly used among older people.
in any case, if you feel the use of 'sus' could be confusing for people watching the show 10 years from now, you can simply add a translator's note explaining that 'sus' is a slang and shorthand for suspicious'. in any case, is there even a better alternative that's also a slang?
@DreamingBeats
These are all slang for "suspicious" other than internet slang like "sus" or "sussy"

Shady (this is a little off though since it sometimes kind of implies wrongdoing)
Dodgy
Fishy
Sketchy

I think "sketchy" is best because Naoto is an artist so it has a sort of playfulness to saying that about him.
traedJan 16, 5:16 PM
Jan 16, 8:53 PM

Jun 2007
Reply to Nutella71
*sigh* MAL really is the place where nuance, context and basic human kindness go to die...

ANYWAY

My take on it is pretty 50-50. AI translation could be used as practice for beginners or as a backup check, also to save time when a time crunch happens. But y'all saying you'd rather have machine generated sentences than actual people doing a job because "muh politics"...it's people's jobs at the line ffs.

Should there be more proofreaders? Perhaps.
Should there even be more than one person translationg one piece of media (so people working in teams could reduce possible bias)? Also perhaps.

And instead something from almost a decade ago (or a single line from that recent loli-shota genderbent anime), I'll use some newer examples:

-in the newer EVA dub, Kaworu says "you are worthy of my grace" while in the sub (or older dub, idk) explicitly says along the lines of "I like you/love you." Those two have literally nothing in common and if they wanted to tone down the "love" connotations, why not have him say "you have my affection/empathy/kindness of my heart..."

-the newly announced chubby elf manga to anime adaptation has a title translated as "Plus sized elf" while the original translates to "An elf that can't loose weight".
I'm all for coming up with something to shorten the horrendously long LN titles when needed or to think of something when the title sounds really weird in English (as we all know languages differ quite a lot in many cases), but imo this one could've been translated in a literal sense and would sound fine.

(btw I'm not that into the "patriarchy" line, but the AI translated one is just as weird and doesn't do the line justice either.)
AI translation definitely feels like fusion energy, always 5-10 years away. And like fusion, some are getting overhyped just because of a few limited, marginally-acceptable results. Ya know, I recently watched the "infamous" Dragon Maid dub for the first time, and to my great surprise, it was not a non-stop Jamie Marchi feminist-theory essay. (For those objecting to the use of a "word I don't like" such as "Patriarchal," consider what kind of a society might be constantly telling overendowed women like Lucoa to cover up and be modest. Could it be... a patriarchal one?) Have all the esteemed good-faith YouTube clickbait artists been deceiving me all along? It's almost as if the supposed trend of "wokealization" is just a bunch of dishonest cherrypicking and outright lies. Like the ridiculous claim of OniMai's subs "erasing all gendered language"; while it happens in some lines, it's left in elsewhere, and even added to the subtitles where it wasn't in the Japanese script at one point.

Also, it bears repeating that some on The Left have lodged complaints about the Dragon Maid dub as well, but you don't see them constantly bringing it up 7 years later (or still using Dragon Maid in YT thumbnail images), let alone looking to burn the industry through the ground via piracy or replace all the translators with AI.

AnimeFeminist said:
Tohru
Japanese: Chigaimasu! Seiteki ni desu!
Subtitles: I don’t mean that way! I mean sexually!
Dub: No, not like that! Like sexually!

Kobayashi
Japanese: Watashi wa onna nandaga…
Subtitles: I’m a woman, though?
Dub: I’m not into women, or dragons.

The subtitles are all literal translations of the Japanese. For the [first line,] the dub adheres to this translation. The [second] line, however, turns Kobayashi’s question about Tohru’s perception of events to a statement about Kobayashi’s own identity. Not only is that a major liberty for a translator to take, it is a translation decision which completely changes the dynamic between the two main characters and shuts down a queer interpretation of the show.

I believe there was a now-deleted post on this thread stating something along the lines that localization issues were "why fansubbing and torrenting are still so important -- people don't go to pirate sites to watch for free, they do it because official services are inadequate." And yet, the translations on torrent downloads and illegal streaming sites are, in nearly all cases for modern/airing anime, exact 1:1 copies of the dreaded official subs.

It's as if the masses believe it's still 2007, and aren't aware that the officially-translated subs they gladly watch without complaint on illegal sites are taken from legal sites, not fan translations. But I can see how those who live in the RevSaysDesu/HeroHei/YellowFlash/Clownfish reactionary echo chamber might think that "official subs" come from some malign and sinister source based on a handful of overexaggerated examples, while seeing nothing wrong with the legal subs they illegally consume. (And I don't say any of this to morally shame piracy. But let's stick to a common and easily-verifiable reality -- that illegal sites rip subs from legal ones -- okay?)

And really, I've seen far more rewrites, trolling, and jokes/memes from fan translations and fan-edits of official subs than I have from actual official subs. But that's a topic for a future thread...

Nutella71 said:

Fun fact: the Netflix/GKids subtitle translations and dub scripts were heavily supervised by Studio khara, so anything in them is the result of what the Japanese creators wanted them to be, not Western "localizers" going rogue and meddling with the content. I looked up the 4 most recent versions, and found this, at ~9:55 in ep 24:

So, the word variously translated as regard/empathy/affection/grace in these lines is not the familiar 恋 / koi, but 好意 / koui. The new version didn't change "love" to "grace" or whatever, they just softened "love" to "like." One could debate that rendering, but it's not an unreasonable choice for teenage characters of any gender combination who haven't known each other all that long.

The line in the original ADV version, which I don't have access to, may have been deliberately tweaked to be a Fly Me to the Moon reference.
Jan 16, 9:18 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Towlie-Towl
GOD IS GOOD, GOD IS GREAT!!! THANK GOD
Most translations are actually worse than AI since they keep using western slang and inserting politics that don't belong in the first place. Thank god the japanese woke up and said one day "stop fucking with my anime/manga we don't speak like you assholes"
@Towlie-Towl
you realize a lot of the time western slang is used, its because the character in japanese speaks with slang too right? Great example would be Nagatoro, she speaks with a lot of slang in both english and japanese
Jan 16, 10:29 PM
Dec 2016
OP is pretending that the Dragon Maid situation isn't applicable today. I still remember in Chainsaw Man when the Crunchyroll translation for when Denji wanted to touch a girl's breasts was 'cop a feel'. Nobody wants to see this western slang. In fact, I would bet that most people would rather see the Japanese slang directly translated with a translator's note explaining some context. It's a chance for people to actually understand the reason why people in Japan use those expressions in the first place and would help people like myself who are trying to learn the language.

Sometimes you can hear the character saying a certain English word and the subtitle says something else completely. There's no excuse for this. You'd have to make us deny what we are hearing and seeing to make the argument that translating has become better over time and not worse. And this seems to be solely a problem for Japanese anime and games. I never hear complaints about subtitles when probing discussions on Italian or French foreign films or shows for instance.

I am not perfectly fluent in Japanese but anyone who has studied Japanese for more than a year will instantly notice the subtitle errors, with at least 1-2 per episode (if not more) with any anime episode released today. The slang, the stupid jokes, the deliberate mistranslations of anything sexual, hyperbolic emotions or phrases, etc. It's all very tiresome and AI is simply the proposed solution to this. Of course it's not adequate now but it will be eventually. And we will laugh when those who promoted the deliberate mistranslations fall.
OptimalPrecisionJan 16, 10:35 PM
Jan 16, 11:21 PM

Mar 2008
OptimalPrecision said:
OP is pretending that the Dragon Maid situation isn't applicable today. I still remember in Chainsaw Man when the Crunchyroll translation for when Denji wanted to touch a girl's breasts was 'cop a feel'. Nobody wants to see this western slang. In fact, I would bet that most people would rather see the Japanese slang directly translated with a translator's note explaining some context. It's a chance for people to actually understand the reason why people in Japan use those expressions in the first place and would help people like myself who are trying to learn the language.

Odd because you're first ive seen to make that complaint. That's a phrase commonly used since before you were born.

cop (v.)
"to seize, to catch, capture or arrest as a prisoner," 1704, northern British dialect, of uncertain origin; perhaps ultimately from French caper "seize, to take," from Latin capere "to take" (from PIE root *kap- "to grasp"); or from Dutch kapen "to take," from Old Frisian capia "to buy," which is related to Old English ceapian (see cheap). Related: Copped; copping.
also from 1704

https://www.etymonline.com/word/cop

feel (v.)
Old English felan "to touch or have a sensory experience of; perceive, sense (something)," in late Old English "have a mental perception," from Proto-Germanic *foljanan (source also of Old Saxon gifolian, Old Frisian fela, Dutch voelen, Old High German vuolen, German fühlen "to feel," Old Norse falma "to grope"), which is of uncertain origin, possibly from a PIE *pal- "to touch, feel, shake, strike softly" (source also of Greek psallein "to pluck" the harp), or from PIE root *pel- (5) "to thrust, strike, drive."
In Germanic languages, the specific word for "perceive by sense of touch" has tended to evolve to apply to the emotions. The connecting notion might be "perceive through senses which are not referred to any special organ." Sense of "be conscious of a tactile sensation, sense pain, pleasure, illness, etc.; have an emotional experience or reaction," developed by c. 1200, also "have an opinion or conviction;" that of "to react with sympathy or compassion" is from mid-14c. Meaning "to try by touch" is from early 14c. From late 14c. as "know (something) beforehand, to have foreknowledge of." To feel like "want to" attested from 1829.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/feel

And while most would not associate copping a feel with the criminal underworld, that phrase is first recorded in Albin Pollock’s 1935 glossary of criminal slang:

Cop a feel, a presumptuous man, who will not let his hands behave when with an attractive girl.

And there is this New York Times review of Woody Allen’s 1972 film Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* But Were Afraid to Ask that shows by that late date the phrase had fully transitioned out of underworld slang to the pages of respectable newspapers:

On the whole, Allen's approach is based on the pseudo-sophisticated notion prevalent among many New York reviewers that once sex is verbalized it no longer has to be visualized. Say a dirty word and you're striking a blow for freedom of speech, but show a dirty picture and you're peddling pornography—not that Allen is here in the vanguard of permissiveness, even linguistically, His locution "cops a feel," for example, is strictly Flatbush fifties.

https://www.wordorigins.org/big-list-entries/cop

OptimalPrecision said:
Sometimes you can hear the character saying a certain English word and the subtitle says something else completely. There's no excuse for this. You'd have to make us deny what we are hearing and seeing to make the argument that translating has become better over time and not worse. And this seems to be solely a problem for Japanese anime and games. I never hear complaints about subtitles when probing discussions on Italian or French foreign films or shows for instance.

Often that is because it is a wasei-eigo which don't have the same meaning as English words.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gairaigo_and_wasei-eigo_terms

But I did point out one earlier in the thread where 16 Bit Sensation: Another Layer changed "time leap" into "time travel" which is wrong for a few reasons. For one it's relates to various visual novels which is what the show is about for another the term isn't even hard to understand and also because the dialogue used multiple different terminologies but it for some reason reduced the number of terms used.
Jan 17, 12:20 AM

Jul 2014
Reply to traed
@DreamingBeats
These are all slang for "suspicious" other than internet slang like "sus" or "sussy"

Shady (this is a little off though since it sometimes kind of implies wrongdoing)
Dodgy
Fishy
Sketchy

I think "sketchy" is best because Naoto is an artist so it has a sort of playfulness to saying that about him.
@traed That would be so much better, unfortunately seeing as they used "gigachad" aswell we can only assume internet meme speech was done on purpose. Wouldn't be surprised to see if translator for it isn't bragging for "sneaking" it inside on twitter as it was in previous cases. I don't think AI is ideal, but I am hoping it will develop and deliver a good translation without it changing "problematic japanese topics" or trying to americanise the media it is translating.
Jan 17, 3:13 AM

Mar 2008
Zalis said:
Like the ridiculous claim of OniMai's subs "erasing all gendered language"; while it happens in some lines, it's left in elsewhere, and even added to the subtitles where it wasn't in the Japanese script at one point.

That was an actual case of off translation though from lines being changed needlessly by a self reportedly inexperienced translator "newbie". Not saying it was political, id pin it more likely to inexperience and questionable notion of how to translate lines for subs through trying to rewrite the lines using entirely different meaning words to convey similar ideas instead of to just translate and rephrase using synonyms and structural changes to sound natural and in character. Not that all the lines sounded bad it just kind of puts a little bit different characterization on characters for some lines and the "girl's sitting posture" (i think it was a wariza position iirc) comment changed to just "different" kind of waters down part of Japanese culture in a way and if even the author thought it was needed to be pointed out for a Japanese audience it even more so does for a Western one to get what was meant but the translator went with an implied line. I kinda get the logic but seems off, id have to check what Mihari actually said in Japanese if she named the position or just called it a girl's position or what. More fault of whoever had an inexperienced translator working unmentored on a high profile show id say.
Jan 17, 5:16 AM
Mar 2018
I mainly use fansubs anyway but hopefully AI translation continues to improve so we can finally get rid of these people from an official setting. I'm probably more looking forward to it for games as they don't generally have fans doing proper translations at the degree that anime does so AI might be able to alleviate some of the work involved. Especially for trails games, the official localisations are absolutely horrid
Jan 17, 5:44 AM
Jul 2018
I see that 2 other titles had it even worse. Yuri on Ice and Masamune Kun's revenge, removing the queer elements in some dialogue.

https://www.animefeminist.com/discourse-arent-problematic-translations-fixed/

But the way I see it, viewers could use AI to adapt the subs to their beliefs. and preferences. You want a lbgt friendly translation and interpretation? AI will generate those subs and words.

You want to erase any trace of the above for a more straight version? Eg change lover for girlfriend? AI will do exactly this.

A bubble within a bubble...
Jan 17, 8:11 AM

Feb 2017
Reply to removed-user
I see that 2 other titles had it even worse. Yuri on Ice and Masamune Kun's revenge, removing the queer elements in some dialogue.

But the way I see it, viewers could use AI to adapt the subs to their beliefs. and preferences. You want a lbgt friendly translation and interpretation? AI will generate those subs and words.

You want to erase any trace of the above for a more straight version? Eg change lover for girlfriend? AI will do exactly this.

@petran79 For yuri on ice, isn't this just proving better to use AI more than human?
-
-
Jan 17, 8:39 AM

Jul 2019
Wow okay I had no idea it was already being used in official english translations... crazy. I think it will continue to improve in quality but they need humans to proofread that stuff to fix mistakes and adapt some jokes or whatever my god, do they lack common sense... it should be used as a tool to save time rather than a complete replacement for translators. I'm curious if that kind of AI translation will happen with my language and others soon. If only AI wasn't such a polarizing issue, I wish it would make life easier for everyone instead which should be its only purpose imo, helping not replacing. :/
Life is a despicable endurance race
Jan 17, 9:20 AM

Mar 2008
petran79 said:

You didnt quite give correct description of the article but that aside..how queer

......someone please praise my stupid word play

Wait hold up so the Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid dub had that in it too? I can understand why some people would miss that change since it isnt immediately apparent and if you didnt check manually it would seem like a normal translation to viewers. Yeah that is taking too much liberty to change things adding "dragons" to the line though the change of tone i guess is kind of a mistake rather than intentional but who knows.

Yuri on Ice one is strange. Even I know from script alone that shouldnt be translated that way and I dont really know Japanese beyond a few words and phrases. Even if the translator for some reason thought using "lover" sounded weird there was other gender neutral ways of phrasing it such as "are you with anyone romantically?" (Sounds a bit weird phrasing to avoid lover but still believable phrasing). Cant go with "are you dating anyone?" because that swings things too much into the non neutral side on the other side.

At first i thought it was weird the translator for Masamune Kun's Revenge didnt know to space out "otoko no ko" when transcribing it into Romaji but with note by side i can see it doesnt have to in that case since it is a different way of showing differences. Though that alone wouldnt work so i see why notes. I guess otokonoko could have had the note (femboy) instead of (trap) since that is closest in meaning since a literal translation in note would be difficult to get. I know everyone is used to using "trap" but i never liked it even though ive used it. But id disagree "trap" being inherently an insult, some people call themselves "traps" but i had always been aware of the connotation it was meant to have originally being a sort of meme joke for how many of these characters have some sort or reveal of being a boy when they audience or MC doesnt know
traedJan 17, 11:38 AM
Jan 17, 10:51 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
@DreamingBeats
This is genuinely horrible lmao. "Toning it down for exposure" is a really garbage translation as it is not grammatically correct or sensical. "Showing a little less skin" would be better since it is close to the same syllable count while saying the same thing and making more grammatical and contextual sense if they were trying to go for a more sub accurate line. It is also NOT ACCEPTABLE to create AI voices of actors without their consent
LSSJ_Gaming said:
It is also NOT ACCEPTABLE to create AI voices of actors without their consent

Wish YouTube's community would understand that. All the times I've selected "not interested" on AI covers using voices of Kurt Cobain makes me far less sympathetic when YouTube actually screws over the community.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

29 by ST63LTH »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

14 by Nirinbo »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 32 minutes ago

6 by Daviljoe193 »»
2 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9073 by Kenny_Stryker »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

68 by RobertBobert »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.