Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 4, 10:55 AM

Jan 2012
I pretty much know that it´s common knowledge that Japan is a country that is still pretty conservative when it comes to gender norms and Woman´s position in their society. Often being not allowed to have a director´s job and just being secretary. And if you start a family, you often become a housewife.

Anime very often potray this positions for women, sometime encourage it and sometime actually critize it. Yet sometime I do watch a quite a few animes that actually defied these gender role nomes within Japan´s society which are they kind of work I really like as long as its executed well within it´s story.

Can you name any anime series that defies these gender norms that I talk about to a certain degree?
How I love a game
Jan 4, 11:03 AM

May 2022
uhm idk it it counts but shirou often does house chores in fate series while Saber is freeloading.
Jan 4, 11:08 AM

Oct 2019
Bro there is literally a show this season about woman getting the upper hand in the world and the main character being the main girl's slave.

There is also many other popular works that reverse gender norms like the way of the house husband, and steins;gate.

not to mention the sheer number of bad ass woman characters you can find in anime.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jan 4, 11:24 AM

Aug 2020
Shokugeki no Souma has male characters that make food.

Jan 4, 11:28 AM

Jan 2012
Reply to KitsuFrost
@KitsuFrost Only because they aim to become chefs as a profession. It´s not the same thing as cooking at home or whatnot.
How I love a game
Jan 4, 11:43 AM

Oct 2018
https://myanimelist.net/anime/440/Shoujo_Kakumei_Utena

But I'm not sure if I got what you meant
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 4, 11:44 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to KitsuFrost
@KitsuFrost Men tend to be better chefs anyway.

The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Jan 4, 11:53 AM

Jan 2008
Ooku the Inner Chambers is a recent one.
Jan 4, 11:59 AM

Jun 2015
in japan? no.

fantasy europe with white blonde women? yes claymore
Jan 4, 12:32 PM

Mar 2008
I think that's overly simplifying the cultural views of Japan since it isn't necessarily because of gender norms or at least not them alone because these things don't exist in a vacuum.

Just because there is less women directors doesn't mean they are not allowed. In fact the companies with women directors actually have been performing better in the stock market.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/business/2023/10/26/companies/japan-female-directors/

A large portion of Japanese men would be fine being househusbands
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2009/01/18/editorials/househusbands-on-the-rise/

There is tons of anime like this in part because Japanese culture doesnt have same norms as Western culture and where it is similar is actually because influence of Western culture. That is why there is so much gender bender anime for example because traditionally that was more normal in society.

Kawaii dake ja nai Shikimori-san the main male is timid and the main female is basically the one who leads the relationship and protects him.
Jan 4, 12:57 PM

May 2019
Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but I just started watching Kino no Tabi: Beautiful World and the main character is very much androgynous. Quite an old anime as well (2003) so if you don't mind some graininess, it could be worth checking out!
Just a mere Senku & Sukuna simp enjoying life & slice of life!

Jan 4, 1:18 PM

Oct 2017
Way of the Househusband comes to mind, although I hear the manga is much better.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jan 4, 2:43 PM

Feb 2016
Ranma 1/2 is a high profile title with characters who defy every norm except heterosexuality. If you're looking to see that norm defied, we have entire genres of gay manga.

There is also a long history of anime girls disguising themselves as boys, dating back to Princess Knight.
その目だれの目?
Jan 4, 3:06 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to trinitroglycerin
uhm idk it it counts but shirou often does house chores in fate series while Saber is freeloading.
@Rocknblock lmao house wife shirou

Migi... Handle the defence.
Jan 4, 3:10 PM
Nov 2017
May I recommend disney? And twitter. Lots if twitter
Jan 4, 3:16 PM
Jun 2021
Literally anything that has ikemen-onna ("handsome women") in it. There are a couple stacks with anime that feature such characters.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jan 4, 3:40 PM

Aug 2020
Reply to UberBat
Ooku the Inner Chambers is a recent one.
@UberBat Yes Oooku. And probably the most extreme example from this medium.
Jan 4, 3:43 PM

Apr 2012
Have you never heard of Utena, half of yuri, or even shows that parody it like the original Fate?
Jan 4, 3:56 PM

Mar 2021
Zack312 said:
Any animes that defies gender norms?

Considering how conservative Japan is just about every Anime defies gender norms as female characters are extremely predominant in all their entertainment media and not just Anime. You got Anime from school girl superheroes to actual teenage girls running successful businesses. This has been a pretty well known hallmark in Japans media entertainment since the late 70s. Where in reality most women in Japan never go beyond certain roles in their society and just about any woman who gets married ends up becoming a fulltime house wife as a career where they basically become the mob boss of the house hold holding a tight grip on all finances that are made.

A perfect example of an Anime that defies gender norms would be something like "Girls und Panzer". Where you literally have an alternative universe that exists where males are extremely absent from roles where it would seem males don't even get primary educations (like there are no schools for males at all and it would seem education is strictly for females in this universe since they don't dive into the existence of anything but education for females revolving around female high schools built on aircraft carriers) and females seem to have predominance in almost every aspect of society with the exception of the higher boards that are always just old crusty men calling the shots to try to shutdown their school as a reoccurring theme.

Most males in the "Girls und Panzer" universe seem to either serve as male attendance to some characters mothers or some random store operators. The absence of males in this Anime is actually astonishing since in real life there never has been much of a presence of female tank operators let alone a full on female tank squad with only a few exceptions in history that actually date back to WWII.
ColourWheelJan 4, 5:04 PM
Jan 4, 4:20 PM

Aug 2021
There are a lot of anime and manga that defy gender stereotypes, but in real life women and men in Japan are probably still being forced into these stereotypes.

Jan 4, 4:24 PM

Aug 2021
Reply to BirdyTheMighty
May I recommend disney? And twitter. Lots if twitter
@BirdyTheMighty

Anime defies gender stereotypes before Twitter existed or Disney thought about representation and produced terrible films in the name of it.

Jan 4, 4:30 PM

May 2021
Reply to KitsuFrost
@KitsuFrost
ok this one got me laughing lmao
Jan 4, 4:48 PM
Jul 2018
Revolutionary Girl Utena would be it.
Jan 4, 4:49 PM
Nov 2017
Reply to Absurdo_N
@BirdyTheMighty

Anime defies gender stereotypes before Twitter existed or Disney thought about representation and produced terrible films in the name of it.
@Absurdo_N M8t I know. I just didn't read the OP before commenting, like at all.

A secret makes a woman - woman
Jan 4, 4:56 PM

Aug 2021
Reply to BirdyTheMighty
@Absurdo_N M8t I know. I just didn't read the OP before commenting, like at all.

A secret makes a woman - woman
@BirdyTheMighty

I think the woman herself is a secret.

Jan 4, 5:02 PM

Feb 2021
@Rocknblock Should count. I mean he takes care of that huge house mostly by himself.

So he's a full time student, full time master and a full time househusband.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jan 4, 5:03 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to traed
I think that's overly simplifying the cultural views of Japan since it isn't necessarily because of gender norms or at least not them alone because these things don't exist in a vacuum.

Just because there is less women directors doesn't mean they are not allowed. In fact the companies with women directors actually have been performing better in the stock market.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/business/2023/10/26/companies/japan-female-directors/

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2009/01/18/editorials/househusbands-on-the-rise/

There is tons of anime like this in part because Japanese culture doesnt have same norms as Western culture and where it is similar is actually because influence of Western culture. That is why there is so much gender bender anime for example because traditionally that was more normal in society.

Kawaii dake ja nai Shikimori-san the main male is timid and the main female is basically the one who leads the relationship and protects him.
@traed I'm not Japanese but gee I would love to be a househusband. I might offend some or a lot of people but just by having the option to stay at home full time doing chores is kinda of a cop out.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jan 4, 5:11 PM
Nov 2017
Reply to Absurdo_N
@BirdyTheMighty

I think the woman herself is a secret.
@Absurdo_N Exactly, mi amigo. We shan't disclose the mysteries
Jan 4, 7:57 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
@Rocknblock saber is free loading lolllll
But NGL being house husband always increase its chance to make ur own harem like these lmaoooo

Jan 4, 8:16 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
I suppose Gokushufudou would count; a manly, scary mafia boss is the... househusband...

I haven't finished watching Buddy Daddies but similar concept. Two assassins have to raise a toddler whilst also juggling their lives as deadly killers.

Hinamatsuri is about a yakuza who has to raise an ESP girl.

Is this what you mean?

Jan 4, 8:32 PM

Jan 2021
You're Under Arrest!, I think.

The first episode (after the 4 episode prequel) has a guy who cross dresses, and has spent years perfecting how to portray himself as a woman in order to do his/her best in the police force. The main female leads also kind of subvert gender norms, as they are both good police officers, one of them knows her way around anything with two wheels, and the other is a very good mechanic.

Jan 4, 11:02 PM

Jan 2012
Reply to traed

@traed That´s some interesting facts. I guess progression does exist to a certain degree in Japan. I`m not saying its bad to stick to old traditional values, but its bad if everyone sticks to the same way of life. That pretty much kills individuality and that everyone has to have the same family and job positions.
How I love a game
Jan 4, 11:36 PM

Oct 2021
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is about a masculine dude writing a shoujo manga.
Jan 4, 11:49 PM

Apr 2016
Claymore and Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran
Jan 5, 12:22 AM

Apr 2017
Asobi Asobase shows that teenage girls can be just as weird and gross as guys.

Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World shows a woman traveling around and generally being self-sufficient. The fact that she's even a woman doesn't influence most of the stories that much.

Ore Monogatari!! shows teenage boys being soft and loving, without being considered unmanly. The main character's mother is also a housewife IIRC, but she isn't meek or helpless.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou shows two girls in a survival situation, who only depend on each other and fix their vehicle, build things, fix things etc.

The manga Kuragehime shows characters that go against the gender norms by crossdressing and generally not fitting into the mold that's expected of an adult of their gender (e.g. Kuranosuke likes feminine clothing and doesn't want to be a politician like the rest of the men in his family, and Tsukimi's anxiety and low self esteem prevent her from having a job, dating, making friends, styling herself in a way that's expected of a young woman etc.).
I haven't seen the anime, which only adapts part of the manga, but I've heard it's a pretty faithful adaptation.
Pande91Jan 5, 12:29 AM
Jan 5, 2:18 AM

Jun 2020
Gintama often makes fun of stereotypes and overall sends a nice message that a person's soul is more important than what's between their legs.

Also in a lot of harem anime the main character is the one doing the cooking while the girls fight and stuff
Jan 5, 3:34 AM

Sep 2016
  • Usagi Drop (30 year old nephew raising his 6 year old aunt)
  • Hinamatsuri (adult yakuza gangster raising a schoolgirl with superpowers)
  • Shinsekai yori (features a highly emancipated society that defies plenty of gender norms, but not all of them)
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 5, 3:38 AM
Walpurgis

May 2023
Revolutionary Girl Utena and Boogiepop (both Phantom and 2019's)
Jan 5, 7:05 AM

Jun 2020
Reply to Yuu_Kanzaki
@traed I'm not Japanese but gee I would love to be a househusband. I might offend some or a lot of people but just by having the option to stay at home full time doing chores is kinda of a cop out.
@Yuu_Kanzaki I guess Gokushufudou defies some traditional gender norms for men by having the man (and a yakuza no less) be a stay at home spouse.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Jan 5, 7:45 AM

Feb 2018

I Once counted, Wholeheartedly, upon Japan to Always Ever Be There to remind the world of the Wonderful Angels of Love and Mercy
that Women, at their Level Best, can Actually Be.

Lately, However... Uncle Japan has been inching ever closer towards the current Western attitudes upon this matter...
and making me begin to seriously worry about what may very well become of my Anime Angels by 2025 or so.

Thank the Lord that Japan has already long since given me so many Peerlessly Luminous Ladies to Love and to Cherish...

My Wife foremost among them~

Jan 5, 10:06 AM

Aug 2010
I feel like there is a solid sub section of anime like Freezing and Witchcraft Works where the guys are weak and puny and the women are much stronger and more capable in general.
That being said, these also seem to be fetichistic in nature, probably written by dudes.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jan 5, 11:12 AM

May 2021
Zack312 said:
I pretty much know that it´s common knowledge that Japan is a country that is still pretty conservative when it comes to gender norms and Woman´s position in their society. Often being not allowed to have a director´s job and just being secretary. And if you start a family, you often become a housewife.

Anime very often potray this positions for women, sometime encourage it and sometime actually critize it. Yet sometime I do watch a quite a few animes that actually defied these gender role nomes within Japan´s society which are they kind of work I really like as long as its executed well within it´s story.

Can you name any anime series that defies these gender norms that I talk about to a certain degree?

You want anime set in japan with women characters that are adults with families but not housewives or that have top positions at their jobs

Note that the anime i'm gonna mention aren't nesasserily about the working women, a lot of the working women are the moms of the main characters, i'll spicify role (supporting or main) and job

Clannad - Nagisa's mom - runs a bakery with her husband
Summertime Render - Hizuru (supporting) - successful writer
Chainsaw Man - Makima (main) - director of tokyo branch of devil hunters
Cat's Eye - Hitomi, Rui and Ai (main) - own Cat's Eye café
Cool Doji Danshi - Asami (supporting) - runs Mawarimichi Cafe
Digimon Adventure - Yamato & Takeru's mom - journalist, Taichi & Hikari's mom - unnamed job
Digimon Adventure 02 - Miyako's mom - runs a kombini with her husband
Digimon Tamers - Takato's mom - runs a bakery with her husband, Ruki's mom - model
Futari wa Precure - Honoka's mom - unnamed job
Precure Splash Star - Saki's mom - runs a bakery with her husband
Precure Full Bloom - all Precures are working women chasing their dreams, including Saki who's both chasing her dream and about to get married
Josee to Tora to Sakana-tachi - Josee (main) - childrens book illustrator
Kagami no Kojou - Akiko (main) - continues working as a special needs teacher after getting married
Kamonohashi Ron's Forbidden Deductions - Amamiya (supporting) - leader of the First Investigative Division of the Metropolitan Police Department
Detective Conan - Eri (Ran's mom) - lawyer, Yukiko (Shinichi's mom) - actress, and many more sucessful working women married and not

This is only including anime set in japan, there's many more anime with different setting that have women characters who continue working after marriege and/or have high positions in their jobs, it's not a rarity
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Jan 5, 12:57 PM
Nov 2019
Revolutionary Girl Utena is literally all about this
Jan 5, 4:42 PM

Feb 2022
what a stupid thread. you actually trying to find "manly" girl characters? bruh those are the worst...
Jan 5, 5:05 PM

Dec 2012
Ooku: The Inner Palace (Gender roles are reversed when a plague arises that kills only men.)
The Way of the Househusband
Police in a Pod (a show about policewomen)
You're Under Arrest! (aame as above)
Bubblegum Crisis (kick ass female vigilantes)
Cat's Eye (a group of sisters who are art thieves)
The Rose of Versailles (A daughter raised as a son)
Heaven Official's Blessing (the gods can be genderless)
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom or any other reverse harems
Pretty much any of the battle harem series like Sekirei where the guy is mainly protected by strong women fighters
KruszerJan 5, 5:14 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

More topics from this board

» Do you pick new anime to watch thinking you probably will like it? Or just picking whatever is popular?

Rinrinka - 46 minutes ago

6 by Longnines »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"? ( 1 2 )

Clovis - Apr 29

56 by Lhundrup »»
4 minutes ago

» What is the most memorable first episode of an anime you've watched?

mahrjose - Today

28 by Daviljoe193 »»
19 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems?

NoelleIsSleepy - 4 hours ago

40 by mshfqtny »»
31 minutes ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 28

40 by AdityaRizkiS »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.