Forum Settings
Forums

Would you say an anime is your fav if you don't rate it as a 10?

New
Can be an anime your fav if you don't rate it as a 10?
Jan 2, 1:53 PM

Jul 2016
Hello there,

Lately I'm debating if it's fair to consider some animes as favorites if I don't rate them as a 10.
I mean it may be up for myself, but I just think that if I don't give it a perfect score is because I didn't liked something about or felt like it was missing something.

So what do you all think? Would you consider fair to call an anime your favorite even if you know it's not perfect (from your POV of course)?
Jan 2, 2:23 PM

Aug 2019
Aoi bungaku, narutaru, niea7, petshop horror i Love them
And I score 7
Jan 2, 2:32 PM
I love femboys.

Sep 2022
Before, I would say no but as time passes, my mindset about it has completely changed.

Despite rating OG Naruto and Death Note 9's, I would still consider them some of my favorite anime of all time. They will be behind the 10s I've scored in terms of "favorites" obviously, but it won't change how I feel about either series. There are also two to three arcs of Shippuden that got a 10 score from me but as a whole, I don't think I'm going to rate Naruto Shippuden a 10 score either.

As for Death Note, I don't think it's perfect, but the story and its characters are so memorable that it's hard for me to not consider it a top anime for me.

The same goes for Fate/Zero Season 2, Fate UBW (Both Seasons), the JoJo series, and of course, Hunter x Hunter (2011).

Everyone is different though and it just depends on how they rate anime/manga.  
GoatPieceLuffyJan 7, 12:12 PM
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
Jan 2, 2:34 PM

Jan 2021
yea and honestly I don't know why that happens.
Most of my favorites I give 8s. I think my favorites are more about memorability than how much I enjoyed the show while watching it.
Jan 2, 3:15 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah. It can have flaws, but still be somewhat special to me. Special enough to be considered as one of my favorite anime shows.
โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
Jan 2, 3:25 PM

Mar 2023
It depends on what a 10 means to you. Personally, I only rate favorites as a 10, because there's no anime that is perfect in every way, so instead I base it off of enjoyment.

:3
Jan 2, 3:30 PM

Jan 2021
Maybe. I consider my top 10 favorite anime to be a 10. Favorites other than the ones in top 10 are not necessarily a 10.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jan 2, 3:32 PM
Sep 2023
Yes. In fact, I'm capable of loving complete trash (i.e. something I "objectively" see as a 3/10 or so) based on its atmosphere, entertainment value, animation, etc. It helps to not view art as some sort of autistic pseudo-science.
Jan 2, 3:45 PM

Feb 2017
Yeah some 10s aren't favorites for me while some 8 and 9s are. I don't really have that good of an explanation for it though lol. I think favorites just depends on how much I love something and something doesn't have to be perfect for me to love it.
Jan 2, 4:12 PM

Jun 2020
It's ok. Nothing is perfect anyway. You can love a thing and recognize the flaws as well.

I personally maxed out my score for a title to 8, including my favorites. The difference between my favorites and other 8 scored anime is my enjoyment when I watch them and how memorable it is. I don't really care if they're imperfect or something.
Jan 2, 5:01 PM

Jan 2023
For me personally, yeah absolutely. Some of my 9s have left a bigger impact on me and are more special to me than some of my 10s, with Bocchi the Rock and Liz to Aoi Tori filling in two spots. It really depends on how a show will leave long-lasting impact on me and hits me in the feels, and no show is perfect or flawless in the end and that's a-okay.

"You win this round. You doggies."
Jan 2, 5:43 PM

Mar 2019
@ OfficerPoon
I'm kind of the same way; I enjoy lot's of stuff that I would consider 'objectively' bad. Art is a really subjective thing so it comes down to how it connects with you personally.

I try to rate shows in at least a semi-objective way, which obviously isn't a perfect system.
Jan 2, 5:45 PM

Mar 2008
Some of my favs are only an 8 or 7. I do need to adjust my scoring though because i have way too few 10s from being overly reserved with it.
Jan 2, 5:52 PM

Dec 2022
No chance. For an anime to immerse me enough to the point where I consider it a favourite, it has to have the necessary qualities and advantageous traits that would beget the entertainment value in the first place. If it does have these attributes in spades, then why would I arbitrarily burden it with a lower rating? I like things for a reason.

๏ฝฒไน‡ๅˆ€ไน‡ไนƒๅฐบ๏พ‘ไน‡
ใŠŽ ใŠฐ
โ˜ฝ Shaded Horizon โ˜พ

Jan 2, 6:03 PM
Apr 2022
Anime u watch is not perfect. But the question is whether or not you’re perfect for each other
Jan 2, 10:39 PM
Jan 2012
Honestly, I can't score more animes that high. I think if there's some aspect of the anime that I can fixate on, then it's probably a favorite. Everything isn't perfect, but hey, it's something I wake up every day and enjoy nonetheless.
Jan 2, 10:40 PM

Feb 2020
9/10 of my favorite anime are 10/10, so only one 9/10.
Jan 3, 12:17 AM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Yeah, I think it's possible to like something that's flawed in some way. I think if something was purely "perfect" it would become sterile, and lose it's appeal. So I don't mind the rough edges at all so long as it resonates with me in some way.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Jan 3, 12:55 PM

May 2021
Even if an anime isn't your favorite, it doesn't mean you can't appreciate it. I gave Death Note a 10 based on my personal system, but it's not one of my favorites.

Jan 3, 4:32 PM

Mar 2022
It really depends on the series, if it holds a special place in my heart now and I get more into the series or bought the manga, I give a 10. I don't really mind writing obviously theres stuff I want differently but I try not to overthink that.
Jan 4, 4:15 AM

Sep 2021
my favourites mostly depend on my enjoyment but since this a platform that's being taking as reference when it comes to ratings of animes (people might base their viewings depending on the ratings), i try to be as neutral as possible so one of my all time favourites has an 8 for example
Jan 6, 7:20 PM

Mar 2016
What an utterly autistic mindset. This ALL or NOTHING crap, I detest it.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jan 6, 7:28 PM

Aug 2021
Thats seriously impossible because my favourites all need to have a 10 to be different
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 5:47 PM

Mar 2020
If we're talking about my "#1 favorite," then no, because I rate based on emotion. If we're talking about "my favorites," well, that's everything 8 and up.
Jan 23, 8:06 AM

Aug 2020
The greatest of all time in my concept will always hold a 10, but not all of my favorites are a 10. Most are an 8.

Jan 24, 10:47 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
A lot of my favorite animes are 7s, 8s and 9s. I can hold a show rated 7 dear to my heart, even though it may have many flaws that prevent it from being an 8 or a 9.
I don't use 10s since I don't believe the medium has peaked yet. It's always possible to demand more from an animation. It's always possible to find 1 major flaw in any anime. I reserve my 10s to a future show that breaks my beliefs in half.
Jan 25, 12:38 PM

Mar 2017
No, I think that is usually a sign of insecurity (fear of not being able to defend their taste from criticism) or ego (thinking it makes them look smart to be privy to some standard that lets them selerate what they like from what is good) when pressed to define the difference between their favourites and what is "good" their answers are almost always lacking. Cultural standards of what is good animation, writing, etc are subject to change, remember truth comes from a what not a who.

It's also worth mentioning that a flaw doesn't necessarily harm what a show is trying to communicate meaningfully, in the same way it would be ridiculous to disqualify your wedding as a special day because of a minor inconvenience, I think it's ridiculous to disqualify a show from being a 10 for a relative nitpick compared to what it meant to you. We could sit here a day arguing about hypothetical versions of shows where certain aspects are improved but it really gets us nowhere.

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is everyone should think about why they like something until they've got a satisfying reason, if they want to express that publicly they should put effort into making sure that reason is valid and communicable. All of that would be far more productive than appealing to arbitrary bullshit you yourself can't define.

Jan 25, 12:46 PM
Jan 2022
Call it whatever you want to call it. Rate it however you want to rate it.
Jan 25, 4:15 PM

Apr 2012
Yes, because there are only two shows on my list of favorites that make me so wet that I still keep a 10 as my rating for them.
Jan 27, 6:06 PM

Oct 2022
I don't get why people think 10 means the show is "perfect". Where did that idea come from? 10 means it's the highest score, you love it and think it's great and rate it higher than most others. What does "perfection" have to do with it. Probably another one gonna say 'nothing can be' haha okay.
Jan 27, 8:53 PM
May 2012
My votes are an overall evaluation of my level of satisfaction so they reflect my personal scale and not a metric that does not concern me so my favorites has to be 10.
Jan 27, 11:00 PM
CD enthusiast

Jan 2024
Sure, why not? For me, a 10 is absolutely flawless. That's a pretty rare thing, but there are other things which are also incredible and dear to me, but I couldn't call them flawless.
Jan 28, 4:26 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Reply to SuperAdventure
I don't get why people think 10 means the show is "perfect". Where did that idea come from? 10 means it's the highest score, you love it and think it's great and rate it higher than most others. What does "perfection" have to do with it. Probably another one gonna say 'nothing can be' haha okay.
What if in the future an anime comes out that is on another level compared to all your current 10s, are you gonna go back and downgrade every anime you watched by 1 point down? Since it would be unfair for the new godly show to be just a 10 like all the other "bad" 10s in the list.
Jan 28, 6:19 AM

Feb 2021
yeah, I even have some 7s and 8s that I consider favorites
Jan 28, 6:23 AM

Jan 2009
my 10s are my favorites but for anime adaptations i tend to give higher scores to the source material like manga so my anime scores on adaptations can be misleading
Jan 28, 7:16 AM

Jan 2024
10s are reserved for my favorites however there are shows I absolutely love that I can't in good consciousness rate 10. Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi is a prime example - animation quality and visuals are so bad it's borderline offensive. So my answer is: it depends.
Jan 28, 2:10 PM
Dec 2023
You can call yourself a fan of something and still admit that it has flaws that affects your ratings of it. Naruto and Naruto Shippuden are two of my favorite animes but they're far from perfect and I don't agree with every decision that the creator made, so I don't rate them as 10's

I only give out 10's to shows that exceeded my every expectation and that I consider the best of the very bests.
Feb 19, 1:16 AM

Oct 2021
I try to rate animes as they wouldn't be one of my favorites. My favorite animes are the ones I emotionally feel attached to them in a good way and they don't have to be 10/10s.
Ricchan__Apr 19, 1:11 AM
Feb 19, 2:09 AM

Jun 2016
Favorites don't necessarily have to be the best of the best. I love High Score Girl because it reminds me of my arcade nostalgia, and it's far from perfect. I think everything I have rated as a 10 is there for some reason other than its quality. Nothing is truly a 10.
Mar 28, 9:38 PM
โ˜†RetroRiceโ˜†

Oct 2023
My favorite anime I only gave a 9/10 ¯\_(ใƒ„)_/¯
Gee, it sure is boring around here
Mar 29, 10:19 AM

May 2022
Yeah my favourites are just the anime I watched and liked the most. They don't have to be complete masterpieces to be my favourite.
Mar 29, 12:04 PM

Jul 2013
I don't take anime very seriously. It is fun to occassionally watch. Nothing to be obssessed with, however.
Mar 29, 12:09 PM

Mar 2023
I have never given scores to any anime. So none of my favorites has gotten a 10 from me yet. I have a different rating system.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 7 hours ago

14 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ยฅ1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

26 by JaniSIr »»
43 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

73 by 707supremacist »»
54 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

19 by Deyuko »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

65 by Animeistaken »»
1 hour ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.