Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 24, 2023 8:32 AM

Nov 2011
They indeed have all the preparation set up this episode. Their showdown in Kyoto is one for the ages and honestly, I think this buildup is worth the value. Maybe not as well as impactful as executed but still a very important finale.

Oh and we got one final time with the car ride. It's kinda beeing meme worthy since the beginning but a fun segment to see again. Series was alright overall imo, memorable at times but also kinda repetitive at other times.
Dec 24, 2023 8:33 AM

Dec 2021
Finally. It's been way too long since we've seen Ai.

Following the eventful game of tag in the dream, Yayoi's school temporarily shuts down. This break affords Yayoi, Keitaro, and Eiko the opportunity to travel to Kyoto with the intention of visiting Ai and confronting the deity. To ensure they have the upper hand, Yayoi devises a strategic plan dubbed "Operation Tyrannicidal Bellflower."

You know, it looks like that Transitional Period ghost might just be the powerhouse in Yayoi's lineup. She uses it so often that it almost feels like it's earned a promotion. But I've got this uneasy feeling that once it graduates, it might become too strong and uncontrollable. The whole hospital scene with Ai instantly gave me vibes of Silent Hill.

Honestly, when they let them into Yayoi's room, I had this hopeful thought that Ai's god was actually a force for good. Maybe her dying at 20 was a big misunderstanding or someone else's doing, and Ai's god was just trying to help her out. I pictured a situation where she and Keitaro were in a similar boat, and they'd either team up with the god or try to beat it, only to realize they'd messed things up even more. But, nope. Turns out the god's just a jerk, and it seems like a not-so-pleasant fate awaits it if there's ever a season 2.

What an anime! Truly, these past couple of months were something special. Anime like this comes once in a blue moon. I'm gonna miss our little gang.

Recently, I went to my local store and picked up the manga. If you want to start right where we left off, Vol. 9, Ch. 35 will be it.

Dec 24, 2023 8:33 AM

Jul 2017
Ai feeling responsible for the accident that almost cost hers and others' lives, Keitaro reassures her that everything is alright.

Keitaro may have gotten to know where Ai is hospitalized in, and things have been prepared to confront her God, like the army of Graduates to form the onmyouji pentagram all around Kyoto, plus one very vital key: Yayoi's unique symbol to transfer the damage and trap the god, which they absolutely CANNOT cut corners. That said, it's still the adults' decision to choose whether to go to Kyoto or not, and for Eiko, her constant upgrade of the substance to old the Old F Tunnel girl, her closet is the reason: mass-produced 3D-printed boxes that can store their items, which solidifies Eiko's stand alongside her cousin.

Ai elated that Keitaro and the Hozukis are going to see her, and she finds herself from wearing a wedding dress to being in a hospital, showing the sacrifice of her mother and relative and turning her into a miko, her god is really pushing the buttons for her as a sacrifice, as much as this is a warning.

Keitaro also has made his choice, and brought a Graduate kit for the easy release and recovery of the Graduates, while Yayoi visits back some places and makes precautions just in case. Similarly, the body-snatchers are also prepping on their way to Kyoto, as do Keitarou, Eiko and Yayoi, who focuses on dealing with Ai and her god first.

What an absolute riot of a horror, thriller series. Onto the manga now...since there is no Season 2 announcement, which would take quite a while.
KANLen09Dec 24, 2023 9:22 AM
Dec 24, 2023 9:32 AM

Jul 2023
Wonderful! I'm really looking forward to season 2.
Dec 24, 2023 9:35 AM
Jul 2023
It’s been fun and disturbing journey.

Everything is set up for an epic battle, now the torture of waiting fall on us viewers.
Dec 24, 2023 9:40 AM

Feb 2021
2:04 This is the url of DG's official website lol

The eyecatches are awesome!

Aaaahhhh, they really ended it right when things started getting more interesting and overarching

9/10
Really enjoyed this! Totally unexpected. I was actually debating whether to watch this or not before it started, and thankfully, I chose to watch this. Ghosts' backstories and some other elements were actually damn creepy, loved it. Best horror anime! (except this is the only horror anime I've finished but shhhh)
But yeah, the Hidive subs for this were kinda garbage.

Reeeally hoping for a season 2! I was reading the manga along with the anime though (reading the chapters adapted after watching the episode), so I'll continue reading it.
EmbientDec 24, 2023 9:49 AM
Dec 24, 2023 9:43 AM
Mar 2022
Great series!! 8/10!!
This episode adapted chapter 34
So if you want to read the manga you can start from chapter 35!
Dec 24, 2023 9:54 AM
Feb 2020
Overall 8/10
Was a couple hiccups during the first cour when its just ghost of the week but its been great everytime after they scaled up the exploration and had a set objective to work towards.
Dec 24, 2023 10:14 AM

Jan 2013
Best Horror anime in ages. Will be a hard one to top.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Dec 24, 2023 10:28 AM
Apr 2022
And its a wrap for the first season.
But the next stop is Kyoto, the place where an all-out war will take place.

Can't wait for the next showdown.

Let's ghoooost!
Dec 24, 2023 10:35 AM

Mar 2021
The ending had "Onto Kyoto..."
So I'm hoping they plan to make a season 2,but not right now. Its very rare to get good horror animes and this is one of those good ones. I just hope we get a season 2. It would be a big shame and a waste if we dont get one!!
Dec 24, 2023 10:45 AM

Oct 2017
Their preparation is done and next up is Kyoto. Time to free Ai. Eiko sure went all out with the substitutes there and she was real enthuastic installing spycams on Keitarou's room, wonder why.

Really loved this one, don't remember when was the last time I watched a good horror anime so much appreciated. Hoping for s2 sometime soon. Also Eiko waifu.
MegamiRemDec 25, 2023 4:19 AM
Dec 24, 2023 10:45 AM

Jul 2011
Yayoi telling the most cursed plan if I ever heard one, while having her poker face. I will miss these Yayoi moments.

I hope for a season 2.
Dec 24, 2023 10:55 AM
Aug 2022
Definitely hoping for a season 2 this show was pretty good. Although I definitely preferred the earlier episodes before it started to take a majorly supernatural turn
Dec 24, 2023 11:04 AM

Sep 2019
I can't barely wait between the episodes to binge read the manga. Now I'm gonna start reading it I can't wait anymore even if there will be season 2.
heisenbergethDec 24, 2023 11:08 AM
Dec 24, 2023 11:05 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to heisenbergeth
I can't barely wait between the episodes to binge read the manga. Now I'm gonna start reading it I can't wait anymore even if there will be season 2.
@heisenbergeth the anime ended at chapter 34
Dec 24, 2023 11:05 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to heisenbergeth
Dec 24, 2023 11:15 AM

Sep 2019
Reply to kisaragi_eki
@kisaragi_eki Thanks, I just saw your comment above so I edited my comment :)
Dec 24, 2023 11:16 AM
Jul 2023
Reply to SHINOBI-03
Best Horror anime in ages. Will be a hard one to top.
@SHINOBI-03 Only one I can see top this is Otogi Matsuri if it becomes an anime. Though we do have dandan dan and mysterious shrine maidens coming the year of 2024.
ShiyodogeDec 24, 2023 11:21 AM
Dec 24, 2023 11:31 AM
May 2021
10/10 man, this anime kept my Sunday Nights hyped up and entertaining. Gonna miss it fr, time to read the manga next!
Dec 24, 2023 11:39 AM
Nov 2015
Such a cliffhanger. Will miss this show. Season 2 when?
Dec 24, 2023 11:42 AM

Dec 2018
What a way to end the season; big fights coming up, and this was kind of a tease but really important setup. Let's GHOOOOO----ST!
Dec 24, 2023 11:42 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to nabi9303
Such a cliffhanger. Will miss this show. Season 2 when?
@nabi9303 Maybe in 3 years. The manga is monthly so it will take time if they want to make another season with 25 episodes.
Dec 24, 2023 11:43 AM

Aug 2019
Eiko switched back to her old hair style, which I preferred

Dialogue seemed to desync towards the end of the ep

Unfortunate that this would likely be dropped by many based on how it started early on, it really picked up in the 2nd cour

Dec 24, 2023 11:46 AM
Jan 2021
ok so got a question for everyone as someone who stopped at episode 5 everyone's been saying this season ends with chapter 34 so it's safe to say that this adaptation adapts the first 34 chapters?. that's good I'll def pick this up now this it's over glad everyone likes it and hope for a season 2.
Dec 24, 2023 11:55 AM
Nov 2022
Authentic art, cinema, etc 🚬.

Excellent season finale, although I can't believe they left us with such a brutal cliffhanger xd.

Just when the peak was coming, it ended ._.

Please, I hope there is a continuation, whether it is a movie or series, whatever it is, this anime is GOOOOOD.

PS: I curse you Hidive, I curse you for condemning this magnificent work and limiting its legal distribution on the American continent, damn it.
Dec 24, 2023 11:57 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to Pokemon2021
ok so got a question for everyone as someone who stopped at episode 5 everyone's been saying this season ends with chapter 34 so it's safe to say that this adaptation adapts the first 34 chapters?. that's good I'll def pick this up now this it's over glad everyone likes it and hope for a season 2.
@Pokemon2021 Yeah, the anime adapted 34 chapters of the manga, there's currently 55 chapters.
Dec 24, 2023 12:59 PM

Nov 2013
Exceeded expectations. Gonna switch to manga now.
Dec 24, 2023 1:38 PM

Aug 2013
For a horror (well more of a gore-esque theme) it was surprisingly good!

It doesn't feel concluded at all currently, kinda needs a second season.
Dec 24, 2023 2:07 PM

Oct 2017
If Yayoi is the villain, she can easily curse the whole Japan with her graduates XD
Way more dangerous than all those S rank spirits, given that she's the mastermind of those spirits.
Gotta be glad she's on the good side.

Also that God possoess Ai can easily wipe Japan out of Earth too if he wishes , but fortunately he only cares about loli.
Dec 24, 2023 3:03 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
A good final episode, I had a feeling it would just be setting up what’s to come and man it hurts knowing it could be a while before we ever get another season. For now tho, we’re left the gang’s plan to defeat the god that’s tormenting Ai, along with the upgrades to their equipment by Eiko and Keitaro, they’re armed to the teeth now, only thing they’re missing is a Mystery Machine style vehicle lol. And we also saw a bit of what the villains are up to, no good as always but it’s interesting that they won’t go as far as messing with a god, so perhaps once the god is dealt with these guys will seem like fodder lol, but maybe that’s what the giant baby ghost is for. And we end on one last “let’s gho…st!” as the gang rides off into the night, and that’s a good stopping point to me.

And that’s the end of this amazing horror anime that we’ve had around since July all the way to December, it’s gonna feel wrong not having Yayoi and the spooky boys on my Sundays but it had to end someday lol. And man this was such a good show, early on I was skeptical on whether or not this would be scary, and I’m very happy to say this was some prime spookage, not a lot of “BOO!” jumpscares but the stories and situations were all very unsettling and straight up terrifying, I’m really glad this wasn’t just a 2-cour horror anime, but a great horror as well.

Of course I loved the story as well, it’s one of the reasons it hurts so much to see this end now because even after all that’s happened it kinda feels like we’re just getting started and I really want to see what happens next. Yayoi, Keitaro and Eiko were great leads too, I know Yayoi has had some criticism for not really emoting much but I personally like her stone cold personality, she’s also a silly little character other times which I also enjoy lol. And I’m glad the studio knew the first OP was an absolute banger and kept it for both cours of the show, for that reason this show had one of the best OPs of both the summer and fall seasons this year lol, of course I liked both the EDs a lot too but I think I prefer the first one slightly more, 2nd one grew on me a lot by the end tho. And I guess now I either await a Season 2 announcement or check out the manga, if we don’t get one somewhat soon I will definitely check this manga out because I really do love this series.

Here’s to hoping for more great horror anime to come in the future!
Dec 24, 2023 3:20 PM
Aug 2020
end of the prepation

it was a good episode even i wanted more...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Dec 24, 2023 5:00 PM

Mar 2008
It may not have been the scariest horror anime, but there were definitely some very disturbing moments. A very underrated series that pleasantly surprised me.

Dec 24, 2023 5:34 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Damn that Ai nightmare tho, God do be enjoying high schooler scream, eh? Oswald also ready to meet in Kyoto battlefield. Same with Namiko exorcism army. Very good episode.

This preparation finale really solid. I like how they did everything they can to upgrade all their way of battle against those dangerous spirits they've been done before. They all learn very well. Firstly there's Yayoi and her shocking strategy that puts city of Kyoto onto the high stakes. Eiko and her insane thousand of self-healing substitutes, making a great way to fight along the absurd power of God that even manage to put a loss to the Spectre of the Death. Keitarou and his decent plan to control the Graduate onto the better way with that automatic sealing cages. Then all the sevens Graduate that seems ready to rock and rolls as well, especially with that pretty waterfall spirit.

All in all, i am satisfied. Perhaps i need to read the manga. Hopefully at least two or three years Dark Gathering can be return. So don't let me down olm.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 24, 2023 5:34 PM

Dec 2022
I am happy we are back to having longer anime, this is really interesting and leaves you excited for the battle that will happen in Kyoto.

Dec 24, 2023 5:42 PM

Oct 2022
I'm so glad that Eiko created a bunch of self sustaining substitutes for Yayoi and Keitaro, finally. Now they should have no problem with taking on dangerous missions.

Not many horrors that I've watched, but this one was something I really enjoyed. Overall it's 8/10 to me.
Dec 24, 2023 6:59 PM
Dec 2021
great anime, enjoyed it a lot. hope for a second season.
Dec 24, 2023 7:21 PM
Dec 2022
I Enjoy This Anime I Thought I Wasn't Going To Like This Anime But I Was Wrong
Dec 24, 2023 7:26 PM

May 2015
This is certainly one of the creepiest anime I've seen, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, despite horror not really being my genre. Apart from horror stuff, it had some vibes of mid-00s anime, in a good and sort of nostalgic way. I'm interested to see what happens next, hope this will have another season. Although, at the same time I'd probably be reluctant to watch, because it will surely get only more messed up and genuinely creepy.
Dec 24, 2023 8:13 PM

Oct 2022
That is messed up…apparently Ai’s aunt was also taken by the God and is that main body we’ve been seeing behind it, I assume after Ai takes her place that she’ll become part of that cluster of souls and the cycle restarts. That might mean that this has been going on in her family for a while. Ai doesn’t deserve this sh*t, man…they better kill that God. Too bad I might never see it because idk if this will get a s2.
Dec 24, 2023 8:31 PM

Dec 2022
What a blast of an anime. Shit was bussin had me like OwO.
Dec 24, 2023 9:07 PM
Mar 2015
The battle lines are drawn On to Kyoto Go Ghost
Dec 24, 2023 10:37 PM

Oct 2022
Eiko seem to have larger mammary than usual in this episode. Looks like the stage is set for season 2. Ready for the battle royale. Let's Ghooost!

Dec 24, 2023 10:40 PM

Dec 2022
It stayed with us for half a year, really sad seeing it coming to an end,
it was a really good story, and great execution, and it takes a really novel way of looking at the supernatural. I really hope we get another season.
Dec 24, 2023 10:58 PM

Jul 2012
Reply to Tsinelas
Eiko seem to have larger mammary than usual in this episode. Looks like the stage is set for season 2. Ready for the battle royale. Let's Ghooost!
@Tsinelas Yeah her booba seemed wildly out of control at times. It was distracting.
Dec 24, 2023 11:12 PM

Oct 2022
Amazing season 9/10! Though I still think the ending is major forshadowing that Eiko is possessed and has been a spirit this whole time.
UndefeatedBahamut
Dec 24, 2023 11:16 PM

Dec 2022
Just set-up for the next part.

This is a very well-done story, can't wait for season 2.
Dec 24, 2023 11:48 PM

May 2019
Man, there better be a 2nd season because it's a bit of a bummer that it ended with a set up to what sounded like a big finale...

Nonetheless this was a fun and, at times, a little scary ride. I haven't watched much horror-based anime but this one was very good. 8/10
Dec 25, 2023 12:15 AM
Sep 2021
Nice end to the season, hope it gets a S2 & the story is getting interesting now we are off to fight Ai's god & the other body snatching spirits are after the spectre.
Dec 25, 2023 1:02 AM

Dec 2022
Loved all the characters and horrific monstrosities. Good story creativity and creature design. Loved every minute. Hopefully it gets a season 2.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2023

66 by Magicmist »»
May 19, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2023

94 by Magicmist »»
May 12, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2023

63 by Magicmist »»
May 5, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2023

76 by Magicmist »»
Apr 28, 5:50 PM

» It's Like junji ito scary

Kreshre - Apr 5

6 by Lufyy_234 »»
Apr 27, 12:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.