Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 5, 2010 9:56 AM

Oct 2009
I think the point is that the "good guys" aren't supposed to be bad. They got jailed for things they didn't deserve to be jailed for. At least so far that's what I've thought.

Ishihara is one of the best characters in the show! I don't even care if he's super-evil or whatever. He's awesome, and I think they went in a good direction with him.
Jun 10, 2010 1:06 PM

Mar 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
It was, for the first few episodes. I haven't seen the most recent episodes, but the last two episodes I did see were pretty painful, not only for the characters, but for myself as well. At least with K-ON!! I can just sit back and have a good time.

K-ON! is more overrated than Rainbow though.

Edit: I haven't seen any episode of either season (I could watch 'em right now; I have every episode that has been aired), but from the clips from the episodes that I've seen throughout the internet, it doesn't deserve as much praise as it gets. And this is coming from a fanboy of fictional, animated females.
BLSoldierJun 10, 2010 1:16 PM
Jun 10, 2010 1:47 PM

Jun 2008
BlackSoldier said:
Redfoxoffire said:
It was, for the first few episodes. I haven't seen the most recent episodes, but the last two episodes I did see were pretty painful, not only for the characters, but for myself as well. At least with K-ON!! I can just sit back and have a good time.

K-ON! is more overrated than Rainbow though.

Edit: I haven't seen any episode of either season (I could watch 'em right now; I have every episode that has been aired), but from the clips from the episodes that I've seen throughout the internet, it doesn't deserve as much praise as it gets. And this is coming from a fanboy of fictional, animated females.

Do not call something you haven't even seen overrated. Sorry, clips don't cut it.

Also, although it may have looked like it, I wasn't calling Rainbow overrated. I definitely have not been enjoying it as much as its ranking would suggest, but calling things like this overrated is against my own principles.
Jun 10, 2010 7:29 PM

Mar 2009
you want overrated...look at angel beats...
Jun 11, 2010 12:55 AM

Jun 2009
You know, if ranking was the sole factor in determining whether an anime was overrated or not, then anime like Naruto (which is currently ranked 736th with a avg. rating of 7.67), which is widely considered as one of the most overrated anime out there, should not be considered overrated.

Therefore, when determining whether an anime's "overratedness," one has to not just look at its rating but also its overall popularity (i.e. the amount of users on MAL who have seen the anime) and the extent of its fanbase (i.e. the amount of users who have the anime in their favorites). Granted, I am aware that newer anime has less time to amass a fanbase.

That being said, I am rather surprised that Rainbow (or any of this current season's anime, for that matter) has a avg. rating above 8.
Jun 11, 2010 9:25 AM

Oct 2009
It deserves its rate. It's definitely above average, though at some points there were certain elements missing.

ARGH. JUST GET OVER IT.
Jun 11, 2010 3:02 PM

Oct 2007
peroxid said:
Peralisc said:
peroxid said:
Do you guys don't agree?

You don't do english, do you?

Thank you for posting this reply. It was really important for the discussion -.-

For once, stop whining.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2010 6:08 AM

Apr 2010
rainbow is great what are you talking about? the characters are realistic, the animation is great! and the the story is different! what more could you want? k-on on the other hand is just dumb, silly pedophile trash that thinks it's amazing but it's not...
Jun 12, 2010 10:49 AM

Aug 2008
I'm 4 episodes in and I'm really considering dropping it. I liked the first episode, but didn't like the last three. Not a fan of the art or character designs because it reminds me of Wolf's Rain and I didn't like the characters in that either. The setting is different, but in the end, the story is pretty average and takes a lot of common elements from previous series.
Jun 12, 2010 8:35 PM
Apr 2009
brono11 said:
rainbow is great what are you talking about? the characters are realistic, the animation is great! and the the story is different! what more could you want? k-on on the other hand is just dumb, silly pedophile trash that thinks it's amazing but it's not...
Ironic as fuck.
Jun 13, 2010 12:12 AM

Apr 2010
Sunlone said:
brono11 said:
Ironic as fuck.
naturally
Jun 13, 2010 11:16 AM

Jan 2010
What is it with people and having to more or less troll recently? Infact, I might just go to the Ichiban forums and start saying how shit I think it is.

Edit: Actually on second thought I won't, as I'm not a complete dick.
XavierxenonJun 13, 2010 11:24 AM

I am proud to have Clannad as the only thing on my dropped list.
Jun 13, 2010 4:27 PM

May 2009
I think it's overrated too. It's definetely a good show, but not as good as many says. I had high expections, because of its award-winning manga and unique stroy, but I'm slightly disappointed at the moment. The biggest flaw indeed are the characters, just as many said.
Jun 13, 2010 6:08 PM

Mar 2009
Overrated is overrated.
Jun 14, 2010 2:26 AM

Apr 2010
Xavierxenon said:
What is it with people and having to more or less troll recently? Infact, I might just go to the Ichiban forums and start saying how shit I think it is.

Edit: Actually on second thought I won't, as I'm not a complete dick.

topics like this are complete bullshit to begin with so it should be easy to see why people take full advantage of that
Jun 14, 2010 5:14 AM

May 2010
viral_hun said:
I think it's overrated too. It's definetely a good show, but not as good as many says. I had high expections, because of its award-winning manga and unique stroy, but I'm slightly disappointed at the moment. The biggest flaw indeed are the characters, just as many said.

Second that.

By the way too many overrated series this season. Angel Beats and Kaichou wa Maid sama are two of them. *troll mode ON*
Jun 14, 2010 6:04 AM

Jan 2008
Unfortunately, overrated. Too much drama despite good representation of post-war Japan. Also, dull and idealized characters. At least it has some realism and adult, gritty atmosphere which many new anime are lacking.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Jun 14, 2010 8:26 PM

Jul 2009
Trolls remind me of gamers. Lately I have been playing Warcraft again and oh wow, there are a lot of egotistic jerks. Do people think they're on the podium for righteousness, I think many need a reality check or maybe try using that brain of theirs and applying it to something useful. Well who knows, you may even consider this as a troll but, at least my approach is plausible.
Jun 15, 2010 12:51 PM

Jul 2008
I think OP is forgetting that the main characters are just kids with no education whatsoever and what are you talking about the characters being good means they are perfect? How childish, they are developing well and their roles are portrayed good as well . It was not PREDICTABLE because everything was introduced properly at the start so some of the parts are EXPECTED to happen.

I actually think I wasted time putting a comment here, you're a troll. Stop posting shit when you've just watched only watching 6 episodes. Go watch them all and then start bitching about it.

Kurogashi said:
Trolls remind me of gamers. Lately I have been playing Warcraft again and oh wow, there are a lot of egotistic jerks. Do people think they're on the podium for righteousness, I think many need a reality check or maybe try using that brain of theirs and applying it to something useful. Well who knows, you may even consider this as a troll but, at least my approach is plausible.

I agree with this guy.
TomimiJun 15, 2010 11:58 PM
Jun 17, 2010 7:37 PM

Jan 2008
I gotta love this forum, this anime is 10000x better than those lesbian shows that you all watch.
Jun 18, 2010 3:43 AM
Apr 2009
lol what kind of loser doesn't like lesbians?
Jun 18, 2010 8:01 AM

Jan 2008
Sunlone said:
lol what kind of loser doesn't like lesbians?

You mean what kind of nerd doesn't like lesbians in an anime show?
-khriz-Jun 18, 2010 8:06 AM
Jun 22, 2010 7:26 AM
Dec 2009
I think the reason people don't like Rainbow is because they're so used to their laid-back moe shows that they can't handle the hardcore manliness of a good anime. And as for the lack of character development, Madhouse had to cut a 22 volume manga series down to 13 episodes. A few unimportant things (like character development) had to get scrapped for time.
Jun 22, 2010 7:57 AM

Apr 2008
Tuskus said:
And as for the lack of character development, Madhouse had to cut a 22 volume manga series down to 13 episodes. A few unimportant things (like character development) had to get scrapped for time.

Madhouse didn't really cut much. Episode 12 of Rainbow will bring us only to the end of Volume 5 of the manga.
Jun 22, 2010 1:31 PM

Jun 2008
Tuskus said:
I think the reason people don't like Rainbow is because they're so used to their laid-back moe shows that they can't handle the hardcore manliness of a good anime. And as for the lack of character development, Madhouse had to cut a 22 volume manga series down to 13 episodes. A few unimportant things (like character development) had to get scrapped for time.

FUNimation licensed 26 episodes of this series, so yeah...And the reason I didn't like it at first (it's gotten good in recent episodes) is because of how cheesy and emotional it was getting, which really didn't work for me in the given setting. If it actually had been a hardcore manly show as you claim, I wouldn't have had any problems. It was more Brotherhood than FMA has ever been, that's for sure.
FloreteJun 22, 2010 1:57 PM
Jun 22, 2010 1:48 PM

Apr 2008
I think it's overrated as well. It relies to much on the gore and the pacing annoys me. So I'm currently on break from this...
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
Jun 22, 2010 3:25 PM

Aug 2009
I really hate the word overrated. People are gonna like what they like despite the reasons
Jun 22, 2010 4:38 PM

Nov 2007
Ummm, episode 12 marks the start of the real show, i dare people calling it overrated after there onwards, because the story gets just better and better.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 23, 2010 1:10 AM

Jul 2008
Remus_Lupa said:
I think it's overrated as well. It relies to much on the gore and the pacing annoys me. So I'm currently on break from this...

Here's a highlight of something you missed during the start of EVERY FUKIN show.

Learn how to read~ retard. If you didn't like gore at all, this message should have kept you away from it. trolls are overrated
TomimiJun 23, 2010 1:14 AM
Jun 23, 2010 4:01 AM

Jun 2009
peroxid said:
Blackiris said:

Nope, I cannot agree with your statement... To start with - this show is a far cry from being overrated... story, art, music - they're above average. About characters: for now they're shallow and not really well-developed, but these are the only flaws, imho saying that something is overrated just because of explicit contrast between bad and good guys is... somewhat strange. If we were to compare this show to the rest of this moeshit that airs in a great number every season... I'd rather watch the 'anime with a great story but not-so-great characters' than the later one. I think that 8 is a perfect score for this show. At least for now.

story, art and music above the average? Really? Story is something original, but until now there wasn't plenty of story development right? Sure, every character has it's background story (some to be still unfolded I guess), but again what about the rest, what happens in this 6 episodes?

The Art is completely average imo, with the exception of the most brutal scenes, and about the music, It's good. My favorite aspect in this series so far.

Still comparing this show to the so-called "moeshit" is insulting to the very show itself. Stating that this show is better than moe shows isn't an praise imo...

As for the best show of the season, personally I think it's Tatami Galaxy by far. There is a great story/stories with intriguing characters an original art. But the again, everyone has different tastes, so I understand everyone who considers this to be the best one.

Peralisc said:
peroxid said:
Do you guys don't agree?

You don't do english, do you?

Thank you for posting this reply. It was really important for the discussion -.-

you have honestly shocked me.
TATAMI..FUCKING..GALAXY...best show of the season.
k, now theres the problem....i couldnt stand that piece of shit for more than 5 minutes, the only time the characters shut up was when theyre mouths couldnt keep up to theyre thoughts.
fuwa-fuwaJun 23, 2010 4:08 AM
Albert Einstein said:
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

Neil deGrasse Tyson said:
For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.

Jun 23, 2010 6:59 AM
Jun 2008
Whats wrong with the art?? 0.0
Jun 23, 2010 2:48 PM

Sep 2007
yeah, overrated for me too. The point is that I found the post-war settings to be extremely interesting as it could jump on some post-war social\society analysis... but it doesn't go to Any reflections at all.

The story is just made to create some drama with some quite unrealistic characters. Most of the dramatic scenes looks, I don't know, just made to impress. There is never any symbolism of any kind and everything looks quite flat to me, sadly.

A bit disappointing :( .
Jun 23, 2010 3:27 PM

Jun 2008
johnkx said:
Remus_Lupa said:

Here's a highlight of something you missed during the start of EVERY FUKIN show.

Learn how to read~ retard. If you didn't like gore at all, this message should have kept you away from it. trolls are overrated

What the hell do you think you're trying to prove? He didn't say anything about whether or not he likes gore, he said the show relied too much on it (Note: telling us it's gory (which is ironic in itself because it's not even that gory) doesn't get it off the hook). I think you need to learn to read.
Jun 24, 2010 4:08 AM

Apr 2009
overrated? my ass. the only people i hear talking about this show are the ones in these forums. i hear of this show nowhere else. maybe because nobody seems to care? but overrated it is not. why go by the rating system on here anyway? its just like someones opinion man.
Jun 24, 2010 8:18 AM

May 2009
fuwa-fuwa said:
peroxid said:
As for the best show of the season, personally I think it's Tatami Galaxy by far. There is a great story/stories with intriguing characters an original art. But the again, everyone has different tastes, so I understand everyone who considers this to be the best one.

k, now theres the problem....i couldnt stand that piece of shit for more than 5 minutes, the only time the characters shut up was when theyre mouths couldnt keep up to theyre thoughts.

Now, that's why I hate fanboys more than trolls. Fanboys can be sooo stupid sometimes (see this example). I think Tatami Galaxy is one of the bests of the season too, while Rainbow is a pretty avarage show.
Jun 26, 2010 4:49 PM

Jun 2009
viral_hun said:
fuwa-fuwa said:
peroxid said:

Now, that's why I hate fanboys more than trolls. Fanboys can be sooo stupid sometimes (see this example). I think Tatami Galaxy is one of the bests of the season too, while Rainbow is a pretty avarage show.

why am i a fanboy.. because i like rainbow more than tatami galaxy?
by your logic youre also a fanboy.

the only thing tatami galaxy has going for it is the original art, which doesnt even look nice its just incredibly simple.
fuwa-fuwaJun 28, 2010 3:32 PM
Albert Einstein said:
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

Neil deGrasse Tyson said:
For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.

Jul 1, 2010 9:52 PM
Mar 2009
Overrated!???!? This show is underrated if you ask me.
Jul 1, 2010 10:57 PM

May 2010
way underrated. .unique anime.. best of the season.
Jul 3, 2010 12:12 PM

Aug 2008
Rainbow... mmm... underrated. This is a post-war show and in Japan there was TWO atomics bombs. A powerful reason to watch these characters, they have nothing in this world.

Think about it.

But I hope more of Rainbow ( I watch first 8 episodes...)

This is my humble opinion
See ya!
cabemaruJul 3, 2010 12:18 PM
Jul 13, 2010 7:25 PM
Apr 2009
I have currently seen 6 eps. I do agree that this anime may seem extreme with the really GOOD guys and the really BAD guys, but i guess im just a sucker for this kind of stuff. i love love love those nakama speeches, and seeing friendship bloom in the most unlikely places. the story is kinda unrealistic, but hey its a fiction, so that's alright isn't it??
personally, i prefer this over the current moemoe stuff because i think this anime has more DEPTH. yea it's cheesy, but it'll definitely make more of an impact on me than..the moe stuff i see right now.
I have to say it's interesting to see everyone's opinions!
Jul 13, 2010 9:34 PM

Jul 2008
I don't think its bad, but I do think it is overrated.
Jul 14, 2010 4:59 AM

Oct 2007
Overrated. Seriously. Too much hype about it. :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2010 9:46 AM

Jul 2008
Hype? Hype? This show has no hype! Angel Beats took all the hype this show could have had.
Jul 14, 2010 12:44 PM
Jan 2009
This series is definitely not overrated. In fact, it's underrated. So much character development and amazing animation, regardless of the dark mood in this series.
Jul 14, 2010 1:09 PM
May 2010
I don't think this show is overrated at all :\

Great story, art, music, and i love the dark mood in it .
Jul 14, 2010 3:01 PM

Aug 2007
ArtRodriguez said:
Hype? Hype? This show has no hype! Angel Beats took all the hype this show could have had.

I second that. XD

If this anime deserves a 7 or an 8 is your very own decision, but it was clearly never hyped. XD
Jul 15, 2010 2:54 AM
Apr 2009
7 or 8? lol that's way too high.
Jul 17, 2010 5:35 PM

Nov 2008
It's funny how a huge amount of the people complaining about it being overrated rated moe-fanservice shows higher, have moemoedesu icons or signatures. Just sayin'.

I think Rainbow is well rated. It's not a perfect series, but the animation and art are incredible, the music is pretty good in comparison to a lot of this season's shows, and in comparison to Angel Beats, Durarara, Kuroshitsuji II, and Highschool of the Dead I reckon Rainbow is actually a little underrated (emphasis on 'a little'). I'm not saying Rainbow is better than they are, but in comparison I've heard a lot less hype for Rainbow despite it being definitely on par or above most of those series, quality wise.

In the end, it all comes down to personal taste and how people rate. I rate depending on overall enjoyments and rewatch value, rather than quality. Why? Because when I rate something it's for myself, so I can look back on my list later and easily find a series to rewatch, not for other people to gauge whether or not it's actually any good. Whereas some people rate on quality rather than overall enjoyment, so might rate it lower than something with better art and animation. Not to mention, a lot of people's rating are effected by their mood. If you're in a shitty mood one day and K-ON really cheers you up then you're more likely to rate K-ON high once you finish it. If you put it off til the next day and went in to K-ON wanting to distract yourself with a deep, meaningful story, then you'd probably rate it lower than you would have the day before.

TL;DR, never trust MAL ratings (or anything calculated similarly). Whether or not it's overrated or underrated all comes down to what you compare it to.
Jul 21, 2010 11:30 PM

Dec 2007
this anime is not even close to being overrated
this anime is way UNDERRATED!!
Aug 10, 2010 6:41 PM

Apr 2007
peroxid said:
Personally I don't like to give scores before a series ends, but if I had to give one now it would be 6.

Thats what they all say.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jakeki - May 11, 2010

132 by phantom346 »»
Apr 24, 9:46 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - May 5, 2010

151 by phantom346 »»
Apr 24, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DrRoboto - Jul 20, 2010

79 by Gabi15 »»
Apr 19, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

shanimebib - Jun 22, 2010

182 by AnimeDownUnder »»
Mar 22, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Florete - Sep 28, 2010

220 by prozyne »»
Mar 6, 9:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.