Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2010 11:52 PM
Sep 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Glad that they
Goh'Dan
Oct 30, 2010 4:00 PM

Aug 2009
I'm confused.... They didn't give a real reason why the 7 dudes were after him.. Or did I zone out?
Feb 20, 2011 3:48 PM

Dec 2010
Zepwich said:
I'm confused.... They didn't give a real reason why the 7 dudes were after him.. Or did I zone out?

if i remember correctly they implied its because of Melfina and the Outlaw Star, i mean why else would they be after him, but you might be right as I'm just going on memory, I'll have to re-watch the episode to know for sure.
Jul 14, 2012 2:58 PM

Feb 2009
This is starting to go the interesting route... I'm looking forward the next episodes.
Dec 24, 2012 9:26 PM

May 2010
So this so called super assassin just let him go? I don't understand how Suzuka even lost, I thought she was a super top class assassin too?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 10, 2013 10:32 AM

Jan 2012
A really interesting episode. Glad nobody died. The ending really was unexpected.

Apr 21, 2013 9:30 AM

Oct 2008
Really good episode. These duels make this series worthy of being called a "space western".
Confucius said:
So this so called super assassin just let him go? I don't understand how Suzuka even lost, I thought she was a super top class assassin too?

She ate the Ctarl Ctarl food and it gave her a stomach ache, so it's plausible.
Aug 4, 2013 2:37 AM

May 2012
Awesome episode! It's reminding me of Trigun with all the crazy assassins! Everyone worked together to defeat the bad guy (who just faked his death apparently lol)

Oh and hey the bad guy knew Melfina for some reason! What's that about i wonder...
Sep 23, 2013 7:07 PM

Nov 2011
Wow. Poor Shizuka this episode but glad no one died.
Apr 1, 2014 4:11 PM

Jun 2010
When Shimi said he couldn't kill Melfina, I was kind of hoping she'd take advantage of that to win the fight. Maybe throw him off balance by throwing herself in front of his line of attack or even shooting him herself. She's been a bit boring so I was hoping for something interesting from her, but she just does the "worried damsel" bit.

Shimi's grave-marker seems to be a combination of a Celtic cross and a swastika, apparently showing a blending of Christianity and Buddhism. The obvious Chinese cultural influence on the setting with the apparently Western-derived main characters Gene and James already made for an interesting cultural setting, and this just furthers it. I recall that Jim started chanting a Buddhist prayer in the last episode, too.

Confucius said:
I don't understand how Suzuka even lost, I thought she was a super top class assassin too?
They say "there's always someone better".
May 18, 2014 3:45 AM

Oct 2013
Confucius said:

That was the point. As skilled as Suzuka is, Shimi made her look pathetic. That is how good Shimi is. I think that was the point of the ending as well - Shimi is unbeatable.

The duel was good but weird. Everything happened too fast and it made the character development feel weak as a result.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 8, 2015 9:10 PM

Mar 2013
Fronzel said:
When Shimi said he couldn't kill Melfina, I was kind of hoping she'd take advantage of that to win the fight. Maybe throw him off balance by throwing herself in front of his line of attack or even shooting him herself. She's been a bit boring so I was hoping for something interesting from her, but she just does the "worried damsel" bit.

Shimi's grave-marker seems to be a combination of a Celtic cross and a swastika, apparently showing a blending of Christianity and Buddhism. The obvious Chinese cultural influence on the setting with the apparently Western-derived main characters Gene and James already made for an interesting cultural setting, and this just furthers it. I recall that Jim started chanting a Buddhist prayer in the last episode, too.

Confucius said:
I don't understand how Suzuka even lost, I thought she was a super top class assassin too?
They say "there's always someone better".

Nice catch on the Christian-Buddhism thing. And I didn't know what Jim was doing was actually a chant of a Buddhist prayer.
Jul 5, 2015 11:42 AM

Nov 2011
So Outlaw Star finally had a grasp of what to do next.
This whole episode was classic Bebop.

It OUTCLASSES EVERY SINGLE EPISODE so far.

Fucking LOVE IT.
Oct 5, 2015 4:03 AM

Jun 2012
InfiniteDestiny said:
Zepwich said:

if i remember correctly they implied its because of Melfina and the Outlaw Star, i mean why else would they be after him, but you might be right as I'm just going on memory, I'll have to re-watch the episode to know for sure.
It seems obvious, to me, that it's because of past events of his run-ins with "The Guild" pirates". I mean it's the main plot... and they still want the XGP (aka Outlaw Star) back. It was only a matter of time before they showed up again.
Oct 29, 2015 11:59 PM
Jun 2013
wonder what kinda of dating sim aisha was playing. wtf was with gene this episode. he became a emo jerk and rapey all out of left field. Nothing happened in the previous episode to make this behavior happen and dont get how saying yea to a dual makes it happen. Great action scene and set up for the upcoming threat,but genes behavior was head scratching. Hell it wasint even brought up again. Also seems like this assasin dude is proboly one of the "good" one.
Jul 22, 2016 2:10 PM

May 2008
I didn't like this one; easily the weakest so far. Gene felt OOC for no explainable reason and it felt like they had too much to show but only one episode to show it with. The character development was poor and overall pretty weak. Even the joke about Cartl-Cartl food fell flat. The cherry on top was that the pacing was all over the place.

If Shimi was the strongest, why send him out first? Makes sense logically but not for entertainment. The fight was super lame too; if this is the first guy then the rest either have to be really weak or will lose via some deus machina.

I can only hope this episode was an anomaly and not a sign on how the rest the show is going to be.
Apr 15, 2017 2:15 PM

Feb 2012
Aisha playing that dating sim.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 15, 2017 5:43 PM

Feb 2012
These assasins made cameos in previous episodes. I think the dreadlock woman with the goggles was in the crowd.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 4, 2017 3:40 AM

Feb 2016
Man I was cringing when the super assassin kept giving Gene chances for 'fun' and then ended up getting killed. So cliched.

But then I realised they bypassed that, with a pretty uneventful faulty gun (I expected something original and 'believable') even tricking the audience into thinking it went down that path. When in fact the super assassin had used Gene all along to fake his death and free his life from the pirates. "When I was young... I was forced into doing this, to survive." Brilliant.

Guess it comes down to taste, but the episode that most resembled Bebop, Firefly and Trigun ended up being my favourite.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Aug 23, 2017 6:43 AM

Jul 2008
Holy crap that was an awesome fight. But even better was the day spent thinking about it.

I think this was the best episode so far.
Dec 7, 2017 10:02 PM

Jul 2015
Existential Monday
Mar 18, 2020 10:29 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode! I like the plot twist about the pupil and Shimi. Guess he just accepted that the pupil died on the spot.

Also, I feel that Shimi saw something with Gene. Just like he said, he reminds him of his young days. And even more so when he saw the crew. He probably had a similar crew back in the day, but everyone passed away and he is the only one left.

I think what this episode was confusing was this. HOW the hell did Shimi knew about Melfina? He actually called her out her name. Why didn't anyone questioned him and ask how he knew about Melfina?

Pretty sure Gene didn't tell him about Melfina and it seems Melfina does somehow know about him. This is such a missed opportunity, they should have addressed that. I have a feeling that Anten Seven does indeed know about Melfina and may have been part of the group back then.

Anyways, it shows how lucky Gene is and how everyone still has room for improvement in future battles against Anten Seven and more.

On to the next ones!
Apr 1, 2020 1:44 PM

Jul 2017
The Anten Seven remind me of Trigun's Gungho Guns. I wonder if Trigun was inspired by Outlaw Star here? The manga of Outlaw Star predates Trigun by a little bit, but the anime series are basically from the same time. Cowboy Bebop, probably the most famous of these outlaw gunfighter series of the late nineties, is surprisingly from after the other two.

The actual episode was really cool. The big fight seemed kind of silly, but it made sense when all was said and done.
Apr 18, 2021 7:43 PM
Oct 2017
SomaHeir said:
Great episode! I like the plot twist about the pupil and Shimi. Guess he just accepted that the pupil died on the spot.

Also, I feel that Shimi saw something with Gene. Just like he said, he reminds him of his young days. And even more so when he saw the crew. He probably had a similar crew back in the day, but everyone passed away and he is the only one left.

I think what this episode was confusing was this. HOW the hell did Shimi knew about Melfina? He actually called her out her name. Why didn't anyone questioned him and ask how he knew about Melfina?

Pretty sure Gene didn't tell him about Melfina and it seems Melfina does somehow know about him. This is such a missed opportunity, they should have addressed that. I have a feeling that Anten Seven does indeed know about Melfina and may have been part of the group back then.

Anyways, it shows how lucky Gene is and how everyone still has room for improvement in future battles against Anten Seven and more.

On to the next ones!

Yes exactly that's the only reason I came on here to read the forum to see what I missed about him knowing Melfina.. I guess Gene was apparently in so much shock that he just was not able to focus or remember anything from what happened. I mean he was already acting very OOC like someone has already said here.

Fortress_Maximus said:
Aisha playing that dating sim.

I died reading this XD
Jun 1, 2022 11:26 AM

Jan 2020
So, it looks like things are finally going to pick up. Though, it still isn't entirely clear why Gene is such a promising target?

A single duel to the death and Gene is starting to fall apart emotionally? Disappointing. He didn't particularly show any significant skill or talent either, even himself chalking it up to "luck." It even looks like the first assassin went so far to take pity on him and fake his death. So what's the point of it all then?

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 28, 2022 4:02 PM
Oct 2016
I don't think Gene being such an ass is out of character in this episode honestly, there have been plenty of moments so far where he's a real jerkass, such as refusing to help the others out and preferring to sleep all day and not even understanding why he should be helping out. I was thinking in this episode when he tried to force himself on Melfina and ended up insulting her to her face I thought this would be a turning point for his character to change but then all his friends saved him at the end and even the assassin simply let him go because he had one chat with the dude in a bar and I guess the guy thought his team was likeable, so at the end Gene didn't even have to apologise to Melfina or win his duel for real, maybe something will happen next time but hopefully they don't just end up pretending nothing happened.

I think the thing I dislike the most about Gene is that he's surrounded by far more capable people who are willing to put the work in, especially Jim and Suzuka. Mel does her best to help out (wish she didn't have to spend most of this series just cleaning and cooking or being an extension of the ships computer, when her introduction was so intriguing it feels like they just put her on hold.) and Aisha, as rude and overbearing as she is, contributes more to the team than Gene. Also when it comes to skill and capability, Gene relies on luck way too much and frustratingly it works for him somehow, this episode being a huge offender of that, with him once again not having to admit that he was wrong because it worked out in the end. I feel like Frank Grimes writing this so I'll just say that I don't have a hateboner for the guy but would love to see him maybe start to deal with the consequences of his actions soon.
Jan 15, 2023 6:01 AM

May 2021
The last episodes...weird.
I thought the show didn't have a plot ending But these episodes give the impression that this is not the case. We are rushing to the end too fast, too crumpled, too superficial.
It would be better if it was just a collection of stories without a main plot :(
Apr 2, 2023 12:07 PM
Sep 2007
Looks like main villains finally appeared.
Apr 27, 2023 1:56 AM
May 2017
Great episode. I do think they should drop the kick jump between serious and comedy tone. They also have a pacing problem. Some portion of the story is slow while other seem fast.
Jul 14, 2023 11:07 AM

Jan 2013
haha attempted ræp goes brrr!
Sep 16, 2023 11:34 PM

Jun 2021
Pretty cool scene the first encounter between gene and fake shimi, it's stucked in my mind i don't know why that was so cool for me.
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Jan 26, 8:53 AM
Jun 2022
Between the last episode and this one, I feel we are hitting peak anime.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Outlaw Star Episode 20 Discussion

gohdan - May 25, 2010

21 by Loccon_Stratos »»
Apr 15, 3:37 PM

Poll: » Outlaw Star Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

gohdan - May 24, 2010

51 by Seabury »»
Mar 12, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Outlaw Star Episode 8 Discussion

gohdan - May 10, 2010

27 by Seabury »»
Feb 21, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Outlaw Star Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

datsunvic - Jan 31, 2009

57 by Inner_Dragon »»
Jan 19, 3:46 PM

Poll: » Outlaw Star Episode 7 Discussion

gohdan - May 9, 2010

23 by Syntax_69 »»
Dec 14, 2023 2:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.