3It was OK
11.7%
2Disliked it
1.8%
1Hated it
1.6%
Average 4.3
8,658 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 1, 2023 7:30 AM

Nov 2011
I thought this is amazing, seeing characters like Sagiri being adapted from the manga into anime form. OP song also looks good and we got the storytelling going with the main premise. They kept this thrilling with the narrative but also made the episode feel right with the way the story is set up.

Sagiri made quite an impression with her character introduction with her no nonsense attitude. Gabimaru's character introduction in this episode was also interesting. The technical quality, especially the soundtrack imo is well done. Amazing start. Pretty sure they will adapt the entire manga since it has ended awhile ago.

May 2020
Again one of those anticipated seasonal, and once again it's from Mappa. It’s way too often at this point, that it’s hardly a surprise. 

We started with our protag, Gabimaru, on a death row and meanwhile going through a series of execution methods, and when I say series, it literally means a “series”. I mean too much to count the kind and number of methods dude went through just so those people could kill him… but hey he’s a ninja, from stone village and I guess for this particular reason not even one of those methods yielded a result. Dude, fine as hell lol.

It was his stone village itself which betrayed him and sold him off to the officials… reason, to get rid of him, as easy as that. And that too just because he wished to live a simple life with his beloved wife, leaving the bloodshed and killing behind, but as if it was that simple. Though he loves his wife and still wishes to live the way he always wanted to, and that brought us to the main thing… that one chance of venturing through the unknown and bringing the elixir of immortality. Doing that will free him of his crimes.

Now along with Sagiri, the dude Gabimaru will begin his journey to hell's paradise. That title is there for a reason. 

Fine start, though I just wish they don’t censor gore going forward. As there’s plenty of it.

Jun 2019
Here it is... finally. After Idk how long people have waited for this. Jigokuraku has been animated and it looks like it's gonna be one hell of a ride. Gabimaru is such an amazing protagonist. He just loves his wife and wants to go back to her. He doesn't like to show his emotions and the feelings that he has for the person he treasures so much. Sagiri looks beautiful as well. He wonders why he doesn't die but from the inside, he doesn't want to die himself.

The show aesthetically looks amazing and just how I imagined it to be. Kaori Makita sure has her grip over the world and how it should look. This should be very interesting to see how they move forward in the series. The show looks great as expected from MAPPA and the music sounds beautiful, thanks to Yoshiaki Dewa. Both the OP and ED are so beautiful both visually and sonically. Can't wait for more.

Jul 2017
Mangaka Yuji Kaku's series, once helmed as one of Weekly Shonen Jump's juggernauts, has finally come to the small screen, courtesy of MAPPA!

The heartless, immortal killer that is the [font="\"helvetica neue\", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif"]Iwagakure Village's [/font]shinobi/ninja assassin Gabimaru the Hollow, whether would he be executed by the blade or be burnt at the stake, no matter the execution method, NOTHING could kill him. And his records tabulated by an inspector, of a life that was untainted from the beginning, with a marriage in tow with the village's daughter, but with his back being betrayed by the same village when he tried to leave.

Out of options, the magistrate appoints his inspector: sword-tester executioner Yamada-Asaemon Sagiri, of the honorable Yamada Clan ronin to do the job, and she's the real deal, though Gabimaru's instinctive body doesn't want to submit to death because of his wife. Therefore, he is not "Hollow" as Saigiri imposed, as much as his maligned wife embraced everything about him, and he wanted to escape with her to restart a life without killing people, Sagiri's proposition of the official pardon for Gabimaru to go to the Underworld: Shinsenkyo, having been found of a paradise as the legends describe, but the "fairy tale" of people desecrated into flowers in the pursuit to find the Elixir of Life, it's real. This is Sagiri's mission to find people like Gabimaru to complete that dangerous mission, with his wife still alive, to atone for his sins that's still attached to life.

Thus, with ninjutsu that's the breath of life to find the exact Elixir, it's all for his wife and his journey of redemption.

The fire OP & Uru's soothing-yet-beautiful ED is great, and what a flawless adaptation of Chapter 1. Easily MAPPA's newest showstopper.
KANLen09Apr 1, 2023 11:17 AM
Apr 1, 2023 7:37 AM

Nov 2010
Beautiful character design and a silly immortal setting. It's a waste of drawing skill.
Apr 1, 2023 8:18 AM
Aug 2022
MAPPA did a wonderful job again!
Apr 1, 2023 8:39 AM
May 2020
BRO THE OP😭😭😭TOO GOOD MAN
Apr 1, 2023 8:59 AM

Jul 2021
I wasn't the biggest manga fan, but I believe the anime will do the story justice. Good episode 1!
Apr 1, 2023 8:59 AM
Nov 2022
voice acting was great, animation was solid, obviously it lacked the aesthetic depth/texture of the manga but that's to be expected when the mangaka uses such heavy black work.

It was pretty much 1:1 with the manga so no complaints due to weird changes.

it's not a 5/5 but a solid start so I gave it 4/5. If MAPPA treat it with the same respect as they did CSM I think we're in for a treat.
Apr 1, 2023 9:00 AM

May 2020
been waiting to watch this since it was announced around 2 years ago
It feels like forever ago
finally all of the dark trio have been adapted now and all of them by mappa

the wait was worth it 
the animation, voice acting and osts are perfect
this ep was amazing and probably one of the best 1st ep for an anime
can't wait for the next ep
the story is god tier
Homura24Apr 1, 2023 11:40 AM

Apr 1, 2023 9:02 AM

Feb 2021
Ohhh a true Mappa masterpiece this time. 
They might even surpass Idaten Deities...

Mappa even has their own little intro now, though that engine that we see was probably representing the producer "Twin Engine" 
Apr 1, 2023 9:05 AM
Mar 2017
amazing!! an incredible manga and i expect a really good anime.
Apr 1, 2023 9:05 AM

Dec 2020
Sagiri is really a fascinating character and gabimaru emptiness was also a really good point to start this first episode.
Gabimaru his wife is really a good person.
Amazing first episode.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Apr 1, 2023 9:06 AM

Mar 2020
Hmm, not sure if I'm particularly fond of this setup, but it is what it is. Definitely a thrilling narrative. I'm not sure if I like Gabimaru, but his character introduction is quite interesting, but it felt a bit edgy? Don't know how to describe it. As for the animation, it's not bad, but it felt like it could be more polished, but with MAPPA taking on so many projects, it makes sense that it's not perfect. Don't have any particular excitement for this setup, but hopefully it gets better with time.
Apr 1, 2023 9:08 AM
Oct 2016
The first big premiere of Spring is here! Hells Paradise a very well respected manga turned highly anticipated anime. I have been waiting on this one for a while and the first episode did a good job. There's a lot of setup and exposition explaining the hook for this story. Gabimaru the man who can't die, or simply won't. Highly trained super ninja using his arts to avoid death even in seeming impossible circumstances. There's some other supernatural elements to him as well maybe his clan takes something to make them invincible maybe not. The ninjustsu he does it definitely mystical and supernatural. I love Gabimaru as a main character, he tries to put on the tough guy act but Sagiri sees through it. Actually loving his wife instead of like he said , just trying to be at peace with death but his heart won't give up. The scenes with Gabimaru and his wife were very sweet and showed how she cared for him like no one else did. Gabimaru wanting to stay alive to return to his wife is a very wholesome motivation inside a very dark and brutal story. I think the ascetic and atmosphere was carried over from the manga well. Gabimaru is set on his mission and ready to find this elixir.
Apr 1, 2023 9:09 AM

Nov 2011
Knowing nothing about the source material of HP I thought the first episode was kinda meh. Thought the first 18 minutes were boring even though it developed Gabimaru and his reason to Live The final 4 were kinda lit so I expect the rest of the series to be like that.

I definitely went into this expecting more but I feel story line wise these are very cliché plot points to start this story.
With that said I love these sort of shows so im looking forward to more.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 1, 2023 9:12 AM
Jan 2023
truly a master piece!
Apr 1, 2023 9:12 AM

Jan 2009
welp this has very limited animation for a first episode especially the first half of it and usually first episode is one of the best animated episode too

anyway im gonna watch this still since the story seems cool

Sagiri is sexy hot
Apr 1, 2023 9:15 AM

Oct 2017
Gabimaru's wife is such a sweet girl. Is she really alive though? I have a feeling she's dead and they are lying to him to make him work but I hope that's not true and she's alive but even then I highly doubt they'll have their happy end in this type of series.

Pretty nice start, Gabimaru's ninjutsu flame was so pretty. Artstyle looks good and like the setting. Looking forward to upcoming episodes.
Apr 1, 2023 9:15 AM
Sep 2021
Great lore, great characters so far, animation is good, I am ready for this awesome journey.
Apr 1, 2023 9:16 AM

Jul 2012
That was interesting so far. Wonder what other criminals will join this group and what we'll see on the island that's turning people into flowers. OP & ED were both great.
Apr 1, 2023 9:21 AM
Dec 2022
Great first episode very exited for the next.
Apr 1, 2023 9:21 AM
Apr 2023
dayum mappa seems very promising the animation is so good also the dealings are looking good can't wait for new episodes 😀
Apr 1, 2023 9:22 AM
Apr 2023
MegamiRem said:
Gabimaru's wife is such a sweet girl. Is she really alive though? I have a feeling she's dead and they are lying to him to make him work but I hope that's not true and she's alive but even then I highly doubt they'll have their happy end in this type of series.

Pretty nice start, Gabimaru's ninjutsu flame was so pretty. Artstyle looks good and like the setting. Looking forward to upcoming episodes.

bro the next episodes are going to blow your mind the manga is on another crazy level 😳
Apr 1, 2023 9:23 AM
Jan 2023
HOLY SHIT THIS ANIME IS BEAUTIFUL.... THE OP (if this doesn't win best opening sequence next year we riot) THE COLORS, THE ANIMATION, THE MUSIC OMG...i just hope the story holds up
Apr 1, 2023 9:30 AM

Oct 2022
The open is stunning and amazing. I read the manga so i know what i expected from the Mappa’s adaptation. In the first episode we know two Amin characters and what will be their mission. A good start.

Apr 1, 2023 9:30 AM

Aug 2019
Pretty good start imo! The first half felt kinda slow to me, but things definitely felt like they picked up in the second half of the episode. Really excited to see where this goes! It looks like a really cool idea, the animation is great, love the OP, and I'm really interested now!

I'll be honest I wasn't too excited for this at first but it's definitely moved up on my list! Keeping hype in check though
Apr 1, 2023 9:32 AM

Jun 2014
Kicking off Spring with one of the most highly anticipated adaptations of the season, Hells Paradise is finally here! 

It faithfully adapted the first chapter and is off to a great start so far. I'm 43 chapters into the manga and I'm so excited to see the fights that I've witnessed so far animated. I fully expect people who are going into this blind to throw around the word "edgy" after this episode because of Gabimaru wanting to die and also because anime fans love beating buzzwords that they just learned into the ground whenever there's a lot of violence, exaggerated facial expressions, or characters like Gabimaru who think their life has no purpose, but this was a good first episode and will go up from here. Also, I liked the way they animated Gabimaru's fire technique, that was nice touch with the purple mixed in.

The OP song is a banger, man I'm excited to see the rest of this. Spring already starting off strong.
thebrentinator24Apr 1, 2023 9:40 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 1, 2023 9:33 AM
May 2021
Omg the opening sounds like it’s gonna grow on me!! 🔥 shit then Jigokuraku is full-effect now!!
Apr 1, 2023 9:33 AM
Jul 2018
Not sure what the complaints are about for Hell’s Paradise. Stayed pretty true to the manga’s first chapter. I’m not expecting a ton of sakuga in the fights but if there is going to be, it wouldn’t have been in this episode. The first chapter is mostly setting up Gabimaru and his ambition
Apr 1, 2023 9:37 AM
Sep 2015
Gathering a group of good looking death-penalty criminal in an shogunate era like Bucchigire! but with more blood and driven by the love for his wife like Revenger.
Apr 1, 2023 9:38 AM
Nov 2021
Marvelous, excited for the next episode next week. 😁
Apr 1, 2023 9:41 AM
Oct 2020
I'm so happy to see this animatedd!
Apr 1, 2023 9:41 AM
Jan 2023
Very good first episode, and it did a great job of introducing/developing the characters, as well as introducing us to the world, but the animation was quite a bit more limited than MAPPA is generally known for - although that isn't all that surprising, considering that the trailer they released a couple of weeks was pre-animated.

Anyways, very promising so far, and I'm looking forwards to seeing where this goes.
Apr 1, 2023 9:42 AM

Feb 2019
Yea I ain’t gon lie I ain’t really get any of the story other than a battle royale on the island for a chance to be pardoned, but the girl is fine as hell so we will be watching. MAPPA did what MAPPA does with the animation, URU ED is fire. MAPPA continue collecting the meathead infinity stones.
Apr 1, 2023 9:43 AM

Oct 2022
Manga Readers were hyping this show and it actually seemed pretty interesting

Just hope this is not like other shounen - adventure anime.

Still excited for new episode next week.
Apr 1, 2023 9:45 AM
Mar 2023
Peak fiction arrived

Let's gooo!!

Sagiri best girl 😍
Apr 1, 2023 9:45 AM
Aug 2022
ONE OF THE BEST STARTS TO ANY ANIME EVER. THIS WILL BECOME THE BEST NEW GEN ANIME.
Apr 1, 2023 9:46 AM
May 2019
HOLY SHIT!
HOLY SHIT!
future classic.....guaranteed.
Apr 1, 2023 9:47 AM
May 2020
Very good start, I love the build up.
Apr 1, 2023 9:48 AM

Jun 2016
What an excellent start to the anime, and I already like both our main characters, Sagiri and Gabimaru. Both interesting characters in their own right already, leaving a great first impression. I have a good feeling about this anime.
And MAPPA knocking this one out of the park too. They are acquiring everything and giving quality everywhere. Such domination.
Gift by Mimurona

Apr 1, 2023 9:51 AM
Mar 2023
As a manga reader i loved every second
Music was beautiful
Sakuga was peak
Op and ed are bangers
Va’s are awesome
Apr 1, 2023 9:52 AM
Nov 2017
Unironically worst episode of the season (never really liked first chapter)
So can you imagine how good its going to be?

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags.
Koito91Apr 4, 2023 4:03 AM

Jul 2016
Something new for me, a death row inmate MC recruited to explore a dangerous and mysterious island alongside other heinous criminals. \(>o<)/

The OP is so well animated, good job to Mappa staffs. I can't say the same for the actual episode, though we get a fair animated fight between Gabimaru and Sagiri. Also, Gabimaru burning scenes look cool? or should I call it hot xD. The flowers in the corpses look pretty and creepy, I wonder if its like the Last of Us like Fungus infecting people.\(º □ º l|l)/

Exploring anime really interests me, like the other one airing, funny cause it has an opposite name Heavenly Delusion and this anime is Hell's Paradise. Looking forward to nex episode.ヾ(*'▽'*)

Feb 2021
I don't know anything about this except that I watched the trailers and I think this episode was cool. It appears that this has a historical Edo period setting but with added supernatural stuff. Definitely left me curious about what happens next. The animation was beautiful as expected, but I'm really worried about how Mappa is making so much good looking anime recently. I won't be upset if the animation gets worse as more episodes are released. The OP and ED are a fire too.
Apr 1, 2023 9:53 AM
Nov 2020
First episode I really enjoyed the visuals of the opening and the colorful imagery of what I believe is the Underworld? I haven't read the manga so I'm anime only. The first episode seems to serve as a prologue, setting up the main contention on the story. I feel like it did a good enough of a job to make me interested to see what this Underworld is all about. I'm holding my hopes up high for future episodes. I'm definitely a sucker for romance and hearing that Gabimaru is holding onto life because of his wife is enough to make me hooked now haha. Hopefully we get more flashbacks of them together because their relationship seems so innocent and pure, plus I'm worried about her safety while Gabimaru is gone. How will she cope with him not coming back, if ever???
Apr 1, 2023 9:56 AM
Jun 2022
Cool, interesting, but I'm left wondering why they wouldn't just throw the guy into a volcano or drown him in the sea
Apr 1, 2023 9:58 AM
Dec 2020
Everything Mappa does is perfect, this first episode was amazing, I'm already looking forward to next Saturday
Apr 1, 2023 10:02 AM

Jan 2022
Eh, this anime comes off as middle school edge. I'm not really sold on it, but I'll stick around for now.

I will say I'm kinda glad they didn't make the MC have an autistic personality (being emotionless and "hollow"). Then there is the daughter of the cheif that burn mark looks too phallic if you ask me... As for the Samuria women, does she have a scar on her right eye. or is it just hair?
Apr 1, 2023 10:13 AM
Mar 2023
first episode was great, really enjoyed it!
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2023

321 by Angel_crush1 »»
May 1, 10:17 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 20, 2023

332 by NovaVxid »»
Apr 30, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2023

240 by teraphIl1000 »»
Apr 29, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2023

309 by teraphIl1000 »»
Apr 28, 7:20 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2023

353 by teraphIl1000 »»
Apr 28, 6:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.