Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 13, 2023 12:26 PM

Jan 2021
DarkShame2 said:
AnimePedestrian said:
I don't really take MAL score into consideration when picking a show. So long as it looks interesting then I'll give it a shot.
Pretty much the same here, but I do keep it in mind though. I generally do some research and such before picking up a show if it'll be enjoyably or not.
Yeah I always look into what I am watching - I got real lucky early on with shows like Wolfs Rain, Ergo Proxy, Fate/Zero all being right up my ally. Then I suffered through Witch Hunter Robin. Nowadays I have a little more restraint before jumping in blind - at least look up an opening, or read the synopsis rather than 'oh Re;Zero sounds great'. 
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 13, 2023 1:09 PM

Dec 2015
I'd rather avoid checking my PTW, but yes I do watch quite a bit, will give from 1 to few examples of each completed entry:
10/10:
Bleach: The Sealed Sword Frenzy
Lost Song
Slime Taoshite 300-nen, Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita
IS: Infinite Stratos
9/10:
Uchi no Shishou wa Shippo ga Nai
Ikebukuro West Gate Park
22/7
Koi to Uso
Absolute Duo
Kantai Collection: KanColle
Fate/stay night TV Reproduction
8/10:
Juuni Taisen
Gamers!
Jikan no Shihaisha
Shinmai Maou no Testament Burst
Aki no Kanade
Strike Witches
7/10:
Godzilla: S.P
Akanesasu Shoujo
Ange Vierge
Comet Lucifer
Servamp
Galilei Donna
6/10:
Jouran: The Princess of Snow and Blood
Kyuukyoku Shinka shita Full Dive RPG ga Genjitsu yori mo Kusoge Dattara
Bem
Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hachi Gakari
Genmu Senki Leda
Tokkou
5/10:
.hack//Sign
11eyes
Asu no Yoichi!
Glamorous Heroes - Idk if it still is but it used to be on the last page as the shows of being worst rated in overall at Mal
4/10:
Ai Tenchi Muyou!
Fate/Extra: Last Encore
Toaru Majutsu no Index III
Nanatsu no Bitoku
Cop Craft
3/10:
Aki-Sora
Bikini Warriors
Futsal Boys!!!!!
Platinum End
Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall
2/10:
Bikini Warriors OVA
To LOVE-Ru: Multiplication - Mae kara Ushiro kara
1/10:
Shitcom
Bikini Warriors Special
Battle Athletess Daiundoukai ReSTART!
Estab-Life: Great Escape

Mar 13, 2023 1:25 PM

Jan 2013
So, 85% of people here are fine watching trash, I barely value my time, and I have higher standards than that. lol
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 13, 2023 2:13 PM

Apr 2013
Zettaiken said:
I'd rather avoid checking my PTW, but yes I do watch quite a bit, will give from 1 to few examples of each completed entry:

Seems like your list is similar to mine when it comes to those entries. At least the ones I know are also harem/ecchi or just a movie/ova/special.
And then there's "Slime Taoshite 300-nen, Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita" again, I still don't know why people dislike it.

LostSpectre said:
So, 85% of people here are fine watching trash, I barely value my time, and I have higher standards than that. lol

Well I wouldn't call it trash, most people just don't care about score. But I've never found a good anime below 6/10, so I can see where you're coming from.
Mar 13, 2023 2:13 PM

Jan 2021
LostSpectre said:

I mean some "trash" according to MAL might be good and some "good" things according to MAL might as well be trash too. I do use some of my time watching trash tho, but I don't think low score in MAL means that the series is bad and vice versa.
Mar 13, 2023 2:17 PM

Jan 2013
Ionliosite2 said:
LostSpectre said:

I mean some "trash" according to MAL might be good and some "good" things according to MAL might as well be trash too. I do use some of my time watching trash tho, but I don't think low score in MAL means that the series is bad and vice versa.
I couldn't disagree more, there's going to be a much larger percentage of trash for shows rated 6.5 or lower than there are hidden gems.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 13, 2023 2:19 PM

Jan 2013
Gator said:

LostSpectre said:

Well I wouldn't call it trash, most people just don't care about score. But I've never found a good anime below 6/10, so I can see where you're coming from.
Since MAL scores are already inflated, anything under a 6.5 is quite likely to be bad, or at the very least, an inefficient use of your time.
Mar 13, 2023 2:37 PM

Apr 2013
LostSpectre said:
Gator said:

Since MAL scores are already inflated, anything under a 6.5 is quite likely to be bad, or at the very least, an inefficient use of your time.

Likely yes, but I have one 8/10 anime below 6.5 and a few 7/10 shows. So there are some good anime there imo, the question is if they are worth going through all the other no-so-good ones. I guess it depends how much time you have ^^
Mar 13, 2023 2:51 PM

Jan 2021
I really liked Fate/Extra (it was Nasu first time) and despite it flaws I liked the story, animation, art and character designs. And that show got a 6.2 so it goes to show their is value in those shows caste into the below seven's. And same goes for Lunar Legend - if I followed MAL score I'd have disregarded it but I gave it a chance and found a pretty decent romance story. 
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 13, 2023 3:35 PM

Sep 2020
I'm numb to ratings, ever since I watched Clannad After story.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Mar 13, 2023 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
Especially short movies, music videos and co. are rated very unfairly by the community, imo. I care even less about the mean score there.
But if we talk about series and movies, below ~ 6.70 I will become suspicious, but I may still look into it.
Mar 13, 2023 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah I will just because if other people didn't enjoy it doesn't mean I won't
Mar 13, 2023 6:07 PM

Feb 2013
Gator said:
romagia said:
i do care and also watch everything.. i feel unrepresented in the poll

5.xx shows tend to be more wild stuff
6.xx tends to be just extremely mid..

also for really obscure shorts and ovas.. 5.xx is kinda the expected rating..
should be treated totally differently from a 2010+ full length seasonal rated 5.xx

I feel like that's contradicting. If you care about scores, but watch the show no matter what score it has, how do you care?
from a purely scientific perspective, of course
caring is a word with too wide meaning...
Mar 13, 2023 6:12 PM

Aug 2009
I don't care about the opinions of other people when it comes to picking out a show to watch. If I read a summary of a show and it sounds interesting to me then I will watch it.
Mar 13, 2023 6:17 PM

Nov 2022
Just cause they like it does not mean I will
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Mar 13, 2023 6:53 PM

Jan 2020
I mean I have watched stuff rated with 4 that I personally liked a lot (Mostly avant-garde shorts but still).
One of my 10s is in fact something rated below 7.

Scores do influece a bit on my expectations though.
eblf2013Mar 13, 2023 7:02 PM
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Mar 13, 2023 7:02 PM

Dec 2015
I could care less about what a shows score is.
This community have a thing against close to everything.
I watch what i watch and normally pick it by the coverpicture.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/49163/Exception
https://myanimelist.net/anime/49164/Make_My_Day

but we have shows like this, it's enough to just watch the trailer to understand you will be experience something freaking horrible.

But I watch like everything and i dont really care about what the meanscore is of the anime i watch.
Normally when it comes especielly to newer seasons a low score show there is bad.
( i watch mostly every tv show and one thing i have learned is that japan loves to release as much garbage as possible and lower the quality of a Anime as much as possible )
^but this is rather new only been going on for the last 10 years or so.

But when it comes to shows from 2010 -> and older.
This shows should not be judged by the score in my view.

Mar 13, 2023 7:03 PM

Mar 2021
LostSpectre said:
Ionliosite2 said:

I couldn't disagree more, there's going to be a much larger percentage of trash for shows rated 6.5 or lower than there are hidden gems.

You must watch cuties that has an almost 0% audience rotten tomatoes score but almost 100% critic score over stuff like black adam, batman v superman, venom, ant man 3.

Mal scores are just turning into rt critic scores.
icefirestone23Mar 13, 2023 7:09 PM
Mar 13, 2023 7:11 PM

Nov 2020
some of my favourite anime or just anime i really enjoyed have relatively shit scores (binchou-tan 6.94, alien9 6.71, kokoro toshokan 6.52, seikimatsu★darling 6.32, malice@doll 6.00, kiki to lala no papa to mama aitai 5.82, rayca 4.67, kitty to mimmy no atarashii kasa N/A, etc) and i have hated shows that have high averages or big fanbases, so they dont matter much at all to me

Mar 13, 2023 7:14 PM

Mar 2021
Mal ratings feel manipulated vs imdb and rotten tomatoes now. Look at the new demon slayer movie

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/demon_slayer_kimetsu_no_yaiba_to_the_swordsmith_village
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt26537229/ratings/?ref_=tt_ov_rt
Vs
https://myanimelist.net/anime/54591/Kimetsu_no_Yaiba__Jougen_Shuuketsu_Soshite_Katanakaji_no_Sato_e

Mal seems to remove a ton of 1 star ratings for popular anime
Mar 13, 2023 7:22 PM

Jul 2020
I've seen plenty of anime with a MAL score of lower than 7/10...because sometimes the world lies to you.
Mar 13, 2023 7:35 PM
May 2017
Some animes deserve a higher score.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Mar 13, 2023 7:46 PM
Feb 2022
Some of my 9's are shows rated below 7.  Tenkuu Shinpan i think it's great, and i was surprise when i saw it was rated 6.72
Same with slime taoshite 300-nen. Great isekai i rated 9, but the rest didn't tough the same with his 6.95 rating
Mar 13, 2023 8:02 PM
May 2022
I just finished watching Talentless Nana, which was a 7.18. That is a terribly inaccurate average score for that show since it is better than most of the 8.0+ anime I have seen. I gave Talentless Nana a 10/10. I could easily convince you why it is better than your average 8.0+
Twilight https://myanimelist.net/anime/34972 was really good as well and I favorited the studio for doing lighting things.
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
Mar 13, 2023 8:10 PM

Dec 2020
i tend to look at the score for a basic idea of how people enjoyed it but it wont stop me from watching it just because its below a 7. or even a 6
Mar 13, 2023 8:42 PM

Apr 2016
Objectively, most shows don't deserve anything above a 7. Scores are subjective though so realistically people will watch what they like, not because it has a high score and that goes for me as well. Though a high score does help incentivize me to prioritize watching it over a show with say a 7. 
Mar 13, 2023 8:55 PM

Dec 2018
MAL users are some of the most generous scorers on earth, so an anime has to be a different level of terrible for even them to not be able to rate it a 7
Mar 13, 2023 8:58 PM

Aug 2012
Anything rated below a 6 on MAL tends to be trash, but some things rated at 6 are fairly decent so I do watch stuff rated below a 7, but not rated below a 6 (if I can help it. I do have several that were rated below a 6 in my list. That's why I know below that is trash. From my first hand experience. There's only been maybe two exceptions to that. Maybe).
Mar 13, 2023 9:03 PM

Aug 2016
Yes, I don't trust MAL scores at all.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Mar 13, 2023 11:18 PM

Dec 2021
Most of the anime rated around 6 I watch are just ecchi
Mar 13, 2023 11:33 PM

Aug 2020
I wouldn't say I don't care about MAL score at all, since I do think it's useful to get a general grasp of how the show was percieved by the majority of viewers. That said, I know my own tastes often differ a lot from said majority, so that alone is not a deterrent from watching for me :)
Mar 14, 2023 1:05 AM
Sep 2013
I care but only loosely.  Same with anywhere really. It's a (very) rough guideline. 
I'm generally unsold on anything below a 6. Which incidentally is my own threshold for being worth watching. 
In general, people tend to rate things highly. So it's very telling when you see  something below the norm.

And as mentioned before, score needs to be interpreted. There's plenty of reasons why a show might be rated high or low. 
Mar 14, 2023 1:20 AM

Jan 2021
I watch everything what somehow sounds interesting. But thats sometimes a big flop too xD

𝕳𝖔𝖜 𝖉𝖔𝖊𝖘 𝖎𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖊𝖑 𝖙𝖔 𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖊𝖝𝖎𝖘𝖙?

Mei Misaki
Mar 14, 2023 1:35 AM

Aug 2021
Yes I do, I've watched several animes with a note around five and I liked it.

Mar 14, 2023 3:42 AM

Apr 2020
Wait...aren't Threads discussing MaL-Ratings beein closed, usually?

What's going on?
Mar 14, 2023 4:08 AM

Apr 2013
Merve2Love said:
Wait...aren't Threads discussing MaL-Ratings beein closed, usually?

What's going on?

You mean this rule?
Rule #2 Expanded. We are seeing an increase in threads intentionally or accidentally designed to fuel wars around community scores and/or audience reception of titles. These threads do not encourage civil discussion and so have been added as examples to avoid their continuous creation.

I'm not discussing the scores of any shows, I'm talking about scores as a tool to help you decide what to watch.
Mar 14, 2023 6:38 AM

Feb 2022
I usually don't finish shows which I would rank 5 or below (give them 4 episodes or so), or shows that are tedious or simply didn't pique my interest. MAL scores I see as a recommendation, wouldn't dismiss a show outright just because of a low rank, but usually very low ranked shows aren't interesting to me either.
Mar 14, 2023 6:46 AM

Apr 2015
LostSpectre said:
Wow, look at you only watching shows that other people gave high scores too, very cool. 
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 14, 2023 7:11 AM

Dec 2013
Scores matter a lot to me. At times maybe to much. But it's not the INTERNET's scores that I care about, it's the score I give an anime after completing it.
Mar 14, 2023 7:25 AM

Aug 2016
LostSpectre said:
As long as we have Samurai Flamenco with a 6 and Erased with an 8, I have no reason to trust MAL scores.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Mar 14, 2023 7:26 AM

Aug 2018
yes back then when i still didnt know mal exist, and because mostly i dont like them now i almost never give it a try except for the cute gir slice of life anime cause i watch every single one of them
still having great time with my stuff
Mar 14, 2023 7:30 AM

Feb 2013
Gator said:
romagia said:
i do care and also watch everything.. i feel unrepresented in the poll

5.xx shows tend to be more wild stuff
6.xx tends to be just extremely mid..

also for really obscure shorts and ovas.. 5.xx is kinda the expected rating..
should be treated totally differently from a 2010+ full length seasonal rated 5.xx

I feel like that's contradicting. If you care about scores, but watch the show no matter what score it has, how do you care?
also i did actually not watch a lot of seasonals because of low score.. particularly 6.xx ones heh heh
Mar 14, 2023 7:40 AM

Apr 2013
romagia said:
Gator said:

also i did actually not watch a lot of seasonals because of low score.. particularly 6.xx ones heh heh

Haha so you don't watch everything after all then. Why did you not watch them, because of reviews? Or because you don't have time to? Were there too many other seasonals you wanted to watch?
Mar 14, 2023 7:46 AM

Oct 2018
I watch any Anime I want regardless of their score however since I always download and watch Anime I always download 1080P or higher quality if the anime has 8 or above score. Other than that the MAL score never stopped me from watching a Anime.
Mar 14, 2023 7:48 AM

Sep 2017
Not really, no

I enjoyed some anime rated under 7 but they were seasonals and they never exceeded 7/10 in my list, that's not high enough to push me to watch more anime rated under 7
Mar 14, 2023 7:52 AM

Feb 2013
Gator said:
romagia said:

Haha so you don't watch everything after all then. Why did you not watch them, because of reviews? Or because you don't have time to? Were there too many other seasonals you wanted to watch?
everything as in, every bucket of mal rating
but arent there always too many seasonals to watch )) there has to be ways to trim them down

also no i dont have patience to read reviews especially before watching.. just the mal rating alone if you can call that reviews

time i have infinite but that is not the same as infinite patience to watch seasonals
Mar 14, 2023 8:16 AM

Jan 2013
-Ryu said:
LostSpectre said:
As long as we have Samurai Flamenco with a 6 and Erased with an 8, I have no reason to trust MAL scores.
That Samurai thing has an abysmal rating on AniDB as well, so while I hated the ending of Erased, I'm not so sure about this one...
Mar 14, 2023 8:16 AM

Jan 2013
Tropisch said:
LostSpectre said:
Wow, look at you only watching shows that other people gave high scores too, very cool. 
Thanks. I hope you feel fucking special now. 
Mar 14, 2023 8:20 AM

Jan 2013
icefirestone23 said:
LostSpectre said:

You must watch cuties that has an almost 0% audience rotten tomatoes score but almost 100% critic score over stuff like black adam, batman v superman, venom, ant man 3.

Mal scores are just turning into rt critic scores.
I don't give a shit about your opinion. Don't quote me in the future. 
Mar 14, 2023 8:53 AM

Jan 2014
Anything below an 8 doesn't land on my radar, because even things >8 can't be trusted to be good. Three out of every four shows above 8 is usually either meh or crap the masses lapped up. I'm looking at you Steins; Gate 0.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

23 by rohan121 »»
3 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

14 by Merve2Love »»
3 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 54 minutes ago

4 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
10 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

44 by -YaoiBoy- »»
13 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

32 by mentalmondai »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.