Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 28, 2023 6:42 AM

Jul 2012
Title: Do Anime onlys like it so far?

People who played the game can be biased so I wonder what anime onlys think about it so far (Episode 5)?
Feb 28, 2023 6:43 AM

Jan 2009
i like it but the latest episode said there are cameos of Nier Replicant characters and im curious to know who are they as an Anime Only
Feb 28, 2023 6:56 AM

Apr 2022
I like it! First episode was a bit sketchy with the CGI, but the following episodes were all great
Feb 28, 2023 7:01 AM
Jul 2022
yea i like it fs. def makes me think of getting the game lol. only complaint is those shots where they're in the mechs (idk the name of them) but 2B and 9S look weird as cg when they do those shots. ik thats kinda nitpicky but yea. its a pretty good show overall tho
Feb 28, 2023 7:14 AM
Aug 2022
So far it has been so good, decent animation, decent voice acting and extremely well written story. The scenes made me feel like I'm inside it. The only thing I don't really like about it is the over focus on the machine lifeforms and not the main characters. Also I heard that the story is a combination of 2 similar stories with similar ending in the video game? I'm too lazy to play the game so someone please confirm this.
Feb 28, 2023 7:51 AM
Apr 2022
I think it’s pretty good. The world is interesting and I think the animation is good
Feb 28, 2023 8:19 AM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
I haven't seen the lastest episodes
but I think it's really good.
animation is clean and loving the story so far.
Feb 28, 2023 8:45 AM

Jul 2015
Anime onlys should know, that "1.1a" means that there are some changes from the game, so there is still a reason to play it.

Feb 28, 2023 9:11 AM
Apr 2021
albiam0f said:

People who played the game can be biased so I wonder what anime onlys think about it so far (Episode 5)?

I've seen the game and kinda know what it's about but none of the lore. and I personally love this anime so far.
Feb 28, 2023 10:32 AM
Feb 2022
Its amazing, better than i thought and thus i want to play the game
Feb 28, 2023 11:03 AM
Mar 2021
I've been loving this adaptation, it really tempts me to buy the actual game
Feb 28, 2023 11:31 AM
Jan 2021
(Anime only)

I really like the world, and characters.
The last episode is probably my favorite.
Feb 28, 2023 1:59 PM
May 2022
I've been loving it. Definitely gonna buy the game once the anime is finished.
Feb 28, 2023 2:00 PM
Dec 2017
play the game ya'll its really that good.

Feb 28, 2023 2:46 PM
The Cat Prophet

May 2021
I like it a lot. The story seems elaborate and 2B and 9S are great characters.
Feb 28, 2023 3:13 PM
Apr 2022
deg said:
i like it but the latest episode said there are cameos of Nier Replicant characters and im curious to know who are they as an Anime Only

You don't I promise it's pain
Feb 28, 2023 3:14 PM
Apr 2022
Psycometh said:
So far it has been so good, decent animation, decent voice acting and extremely well written story. The scenes made me feel like I'm inside it. The only thing I don't really like about it is the over focus on the machine lifeforms and not the main characters. Also I heard that the story is a combination of 2 similar stories with similar ending in the video game? I'm too lazy to play the game so someone please confirm this.

The story is just as much for the machines as the YoRHa soldiers
Feb 28, 2023 3:16 PM
May 2022
Horrible cgi, good depth to the story, I like the way they are exploring feeling and this premiss of ai gaining them, 9s is a interesting character and with a lot of potential, some designs are kinda dumb imo, while others are great, there are some probably temporary plot holes, which I’m looking forward to see filled, I would also like some more depth into this humanity backstory
Feb 28, 2023 10:17 PM
Aug 2022
i think its going well, maybe maybe one day i will get the game
Mar 1, 2023 12:46 AM

May 2018
Psycometh said:
Also I heard that the story is a combination of 2 similar stories with similar ending in the video game?

It's a bit different.
The first 2 parts of the game are actually the same story, but seen from the perspectives of 2B and 9S, thus they explore different plot threads when they are separated.

What we have here is an alternative timeline which has some minor deviations (for example Lilly being the leader of the Resistance from the get go and 9S being a bit of a quirky extrovert) with bonus content (for example the bit with the robots and the flower), less action and the combined perspectives of 2B and 9S.
Mar 1, 2023 6:21 AM
Mar 2022
albiam0f said:

It’s pretty good. That cgi gets on my nerves though. Like, I understand it’s from and older game, but they could have modernized the adaptation.
Mar 1, 2023 6:41 AM

Feb 2020
7/10 so far. Pretty good show.
Mar 1, 2023 12:58 PM

Jul 2020
Its been aight. After the horrendous first episode its been pretty consistent ever since. Not anything too impressive but still enjoyable
Mar 1, 2023 4:17 PM
Nov 2016
I never played the game so as an anime-only, this anime is meh so far, I just can't get attached to any of the characters, this anime hasn't done anything to make me love them.

And here is an example of the issue I'm talking about, the latest episode was actually nice and all but it introduced a couple of past characters in a flashback that I literally don't give a fuck about since I never played the games before, I was supposed to get emotional in that part but I didn't since I don't know those characters, the people that played the games are the ones enjoying this anime the most but as an anime-only, this just isn't cutting it for me.

At least I'm loving the OST though so not everything is bad here.
Mar 2, 2023 5:54 AM

May 2018
xZabuzax said:
it introduced a couple of past characters

If we exclude Devola and Popola who already appeared shortly in the anime (and this was a hint about their past), the rest are characters from a different game.

xZabuzax said:
I was supposed to get emotional

Nope, you were supposed to think "Many many years ago something important related to AI evolution was going on. It is somehow connected to the current events.".

xZabuzax said:
the people that played the games are the ones enjoying this anime

I am unfamiliar with the other game (Nier Replicant), so my reaction to this was "Emil lore?".
alshuMar 2, 2023 5:57 AM
Mar 2, 2023 5:59 AM

Jan 2013
It's great when it keeps the CGI to a minimum, but even that might have improved since the first episode.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 2, 2023 7:45 AM

Mar 2021
2b and 9s are interesting main chara duo while their world of android-robots is looking good so far
Mar 2, 2023 7:48 AM

Sep 2020
It's pretty good. I don't get the increasing need to watch a new episode as it drops which means something to me.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Mar 2, 2023 1:29 PM

May 2021
as someone who knows nothing about the game I’m really into it so far considering it’s just been 5 episodes I’m already feeling immersed in the world/story and I really like 2B, but I also love yui ishikawa’s voice so that was an easy sell in terms of initial character likability for me
the character designs for the soldiers are great and I’m very interested in the machine lifeforms 
Mar 4, 2023 4:31 AM
Jul 2020
Psycometh said:

Its 3 different stories 2 are the same but with different perspectives and a lot of new stuff and 1 that is completely different and is no doubt the best one if they don't adapt that part we're probably gonna see some extreme outrage in the anime community
Mar 4, 2023 12:49 PM
Nov 2019
CGI in first episode was bad everything else was good
Mar 4, 2023 4:08 PM
Jan 2023
Psycometh said:
Also I heard that the story is a combination of 2 similar stories with similar ending in the video game? I'm too lazy to play the game so someone please confirm this.

Simply put; Not at all. Mild spoiler warning to those who DO intent on playing the game: In game's Route A, you play Part-1 of the game as 2B, from her perspective as a battle unit, machines are the enemy to be destroyed, period. You do go through the game's story, but all you care is robots are the enemy to be defeated. Big Robot in ep4 of the anime? Its just a big boss fight. It screams like a maniac, its probably gone haywire, so you slay it with your sword... In Route B you play part-1 as 9S, from his pespective as a scanner unit. From that perspective, and additional cutscenes only available in Route B. Only then you understand their backstories, and you WILL feel pretty sad for that big robot. With a through understanding of who exactly those robots are, you'll also understand they actually represent real life ideals of philosophers or writers, sometimes a little hint, sometimes favoring their ideals, sometimes twisting or opposing them... Only then, you'll start to understand what really game tells you about (beyond the confines of the mere game/anime plot).

In a sense, the way game tells the story plays with YOU.. Route A tells you a story. Route B tells you WHY it tells you that story all the while almost rendering route A meaningless by twisting your own understanding. Now you are "enlightened" about the grand question so you get to play Route C and D, which is like Part-2 of the story. Games real ending is Route E, though hardly I'd call it a "route"...

When most people saying anime merges both routes, what they mean is anime merge cutscenes of unique to both Route A and B, also try to give both perspectives by adding hacking scenes etc. Even without the 1/10th depth of the game, it will probably end up fine I guess..
Mar 4, 2023 7:02 PM
May 2022
It’s fine. I was intrigued by the first 3 or so episodes, but I’m losing interest gradually. The OP is fantastic though.
Mar 4, 2023 8:52 PM
Jul 2021
I love it , not the type of guy to complain about 5 secs of CGI and everything besdies that like story , animations, voice acting, music is top tier so yea
Mar 5, 2023 10:11 AM
Jun 2021
I haven’t seen a single negative review besides the CG and animation but I fail to see the appeal. I haven’t enjoyed a single episode of this and I keep looking for what everyone sees in it but frankly I don’t like this anime and I’m giving up
Mar 5, 2023 1:26 PM

Nov 2013
Certainly interesting, but I'd wait for the end first before deciding on "like/don't like". Some confusing stuff happening and it depends on how well it will be explained.
Mar 8, 2023 4:03 AM
Feb 2018
Dropped the game soon after encountering those robots waving white flags village cause it was a boring hell.
Dropped the anime after 1st ep but seeing how it got apparently improved since then I might finish it.
Mar 8, 2023 4:13 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I'm not an anime-only, but I'd still like to say that I don't think it quite works from a narrative standpoint in how they're portraying the story from the game. Everything feels a bit random. If I were an anime-only, I think I don't think I'd be that invested in this, and I doubt it'd make me interested in playing the game. I like how they're not mirroring the game completely 1:1 and that they're trying some new things, but idk. It feels experimental, not planned.

I don't want to call it an advertisement, I'm sure A-1 had intended for much more than that. I'll call it a love letter for the game, mostly meant for those who have already played the game and look back and say "hey I remember that!" and such. It's not a replacement for the game, which I kind of was hoping to see: something that could standalone on its own two feet as a way for anyone to experience this story without having to play the game. But I'm sure that was never the purpose. That's just where my misguided expectations were.

It's not finished yet of course, and it could still prove me wrong. Right now, however, I'm just feeling rather indifferent to it; which is sad, because I wanted to love this.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 8, 2023 1:56 PM
Nov 2016
BetaMaleUltra said:
I'm not an anime-only, but I'd still like to say that I don't think it quite works from a narrative standpoint in how they're portraying the story from the game. Everything feels a bit random. If I were an anime-only, I think I don't think I'd be that invested in this, and I doubt it'd make me interested in playing the game. I like how they're not mirroring the game completely 1:1 and that they're trying some new things, but idk. It feels experimental, not planned.

I don't want to call it an advertisement, I'm sure A-1 had intended for much more than that. I'll call it a love letter for the game, mostly meant for those who have already played the game and look back and say "hey I remember that!" and such. It's not a replacement for the game, which I kind of was hoping to see: something that could standalone on its own two feet as a way for anyone to experience this story without having to play the game. But I'm sure that was never the purpose. That's just where my misguided expectations were.

It's not finished yet of course, and it could still prove me wrong. Right now, however, I'm just feeling rather indifferent to it; which is sad, because I wanted to love this.

Exactly, I never played the game before, I'm anime only and what I'm feeling is exactly what you described, that being said, I did enjoy the latest episode though, it was the best episode by far in this anime and I hope the remaining episodes are at least equally as good.

It's kind of like Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, I loved that anime but then again, it's because I was a Final Fantasy VII fan, I loved that game on PS1 so I was already familiar with the characters. A bunch of my friends that love animes were not invested in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children because they never played the game.
Mar 10, 2023 3:47 AM

May 2014
As an anime-only it has been pretty ok so far, nothing outstanding but not bad either. It's quite interesting, and I feel this one makes a decent job at trying to tell a proper story that can be perfectly understandable by itself, without creating these plot holes on purpose like a way of saying "if you want to know more about this subplot or want more details about this area then play the game". The anime gives the right information about what you need to know about the story, unlike other videogames adaptations, which is nice.

That being said, these last two episodes felt a little bit rushed so I fear they can't keep up with this tendency for much time.
Rhapsody-Mar 10, 2023 4:16 AM
Mar 11, 2023 12:06 PM
Nov 2016
I did not connect with any of the characters. Too many questions so few answers. We barely get to know what 9S and 2B thinks except for a couple of reactions.
Mar 11, 2023 10:01 PM

Oct 2007
the story is very good

also nice visuals, I have no complaint.
Mar 12, 2023 5:29 AM

May 2021
As an anime only, the show is pretty confusing until now, a lot of ideas thrown in every episode without elaborating enough on them.

I expected to know more about the 2 shirtless android brothers until now. The episode with the backstory of the lead girl of the Resistance team was quite good, but I thought she was human, not android like it is implied in that flashback episode.

The scenes in the pacifist robot village can be interesting, but they are also repetitive.

It makes me think the anime was never made for anime onlys, but more for people who already played the game and love it. The pacing feels too rushed, maybe they should have focused on less plot lines and expand them more so we understand the core of the story better.
luckyowl10Mar 12, 2023 5:37 AM
Mar 12, 2023 7:56 AM

May 2018
luckyowl10 said:
I expected to know more about the 2 shirtless android brothers until now.

It's like that in the game too. Their existence and other mysteries are explained later gradually through a series of hints, twists and reveals.

luckyowl10 said:
but I thought she was human

Early on in the anime, the leader of YoRHa declared that all the humans are in cryosleep on the moon.
You guys just missed that.

luckyowl10 said:
the core of the story better

Similarly in the game the first two parts (same events but through POVs pf 2B and 9S) are establishing the characters and the world. The core of the story comes in the third part...which I guess we will have in the second core.
To put it simply the game is confusing in a very similar way - you collect the puzzle bit by bit. Not to mention Yoko Taro just loves to troll and mislead you.
Tho the game had tons and tons more action.
alshuMar 12, 2023 8:40 AM
Mar 12, 2023 8:33 AM

May 2021
alshu said:

It's like that in the game too. Their existence and other mysteries are explained later gradually through a series of hints, twists and reveals.

luckyowl10 said:
but I thought she was human

Early on in the anime, the leader of YoRHa declared that all the humans are in cryosleep on the moon.
You guys just missed that.

luckyowl10 said:
the core of the story better

Similarly in the game the first two parts (same events but through POVs pf 2B and 9S) are establishing the characters and the world. The core of the story comes in the third part...which I guess we will have in the second core.
To put it simply the game is confusing in a very similar way - you collect the puzzle bit by bit. Not to Yoko Taro just loves to troll and mislead you.
Tho the game had tons and tons more action.
Oh, the game was made to be a mystery, which you understand bit by bit. It's made to be confusing.

I remember the leader of YoRHa declaring that some humans are on the moon until the robots are killed on Earth. But I thought that she was talking about some humans YoRHa saved, like an independent organization, not that all humans are there and just androids are on Earth fighting the robots.

Thanks for the explanations, now it makes more sense.
Mar 12, 2023 11:14 AM

Oct 2008
As an "Anime only" I can tell that people that played the game (or know about the game) are really biased, you can see that in the top 3 revs that are on the main page as well.

Now about my opinion on the show... If I would count the 7 eps so far, I can tell this is actually a good anime with a good story, no surprise for anyone here. The art and style are good and they are doing a great job in the storytelling part. BUT if you asked me in ep 3, that's when they arrived at the resistance camp, where all the preliminary revs were made, I can positively say that my opinion was completely different, the story was a mess, with no background what's so ever, and you realized that there were actually humans on earth that are ignored by the guys that have the sole purpose to protect the humankind (yep, it was that messy). You could, however, see there was a deeper part in it but was still a mess, if it wasn't the "name" aggregated to the anime many ppl could have dropped the anime at that point.

As for now, as I said earlier, it's an ok-good show. You can see that things fishy are going on, that another big plot is unrevealed yet, and that those 2 weren't the first ones questioning things. Not only that but earth did evolve in an unpredictable way and everything will be as unpredictable as that, the old war is over in the old sense, a new type of war where robots and androids aren't forcefully from the opposite faction but something between them (funny thing, as it seems there are no real humans anymore, all of them seem to be a type of android, since the leader of the resistance is an android with more than 100s yo). 
Also, that small filler ep (ep 6) where they explained that resistance and the command post have an old history behind them, with previous characters/mission(s), enlighten a lot of things (at least for me), and it made more clear the time skip of this war and their evolution until the present moment. If it will continue as that? I don't know... Everything points in that direction (and I also don't want spoilers), so let's hope for it xD
For the ones that like to bother others (like me) with "you should read the manga/LN", please stop. I don't read mangas, I will NOT read mangas, I will not listen to what manga readers complain in adaptation to the anime counterpart, I only watch anime except in very few and specific situations.
Mar 13, 2023 4:35 AM
Mar 2023
deg said:
this Anime is a garbage directed to simps🤡
ERENsupremacy88Mar 13, 2023 4:39 AM
Mar 13, 2023 4:39 AM
Mar 2023
mrbull3tproof said:
Dropped the game soon after encountering those robots waving white flags village cause it was a boring hell.
Dropped the anime after 1st ep but seeing how it got apparently improved since then I might finish it.
this shit Soo ass and pathetic

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you an Anime-only or Player of the game?

Rob7 - Apr 27

16 by Kirito_Sama_ »»
May 4, 1:10 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2023

105 by Rob7 »»
Apr 26, 9:05 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Embient - Jul 23, 2023

111 by Maffy »»
Apr 3, 1:39 PM

» Why It got hate?

Otaku_guru - Mar 5

17 by Rayane-47 »»
Mar 11, 6:25 AM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2023

467 by GustavoMizobu »»
Feb 20, 3:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.