Forum Settings
Forums

We could just create our own anime in the near-future through artificial intelligence.

New
Feb 20, 2023 5:13 AM
Oct 2022
Here's the source for this: ai-animation-is-coming/

Basically, in less than 5 years, the animation industry is going to go through a process where artists will no longer be required as artificial intelligence is already to the point where it can create images through a bunch of button prompts automatically without a human drawing pictures. Anybody who's used those Tiktok anime AI generators will know what I'm talking about.

The author is basically warning people to avoid making a career out of this and thinks there will be an explosion of stories as it'll become a thousand times cheaper to create animation. 

He thinks voice acting is the only think that will cost anymore but we have already got technology that can voice act almost any sound and any word in any tone. Look at THIS mod for Skyrim that automatically generates voices, thus eliminating the need for voice acting.

So if we combine the two, I don't see why anybody with a tech mind using their computer couldn't do it singlehandedly. 

And I would also make the argument that we could do live action soon as well (we have already got photorealistic deepfakes impossible to tell from the real person) but since, this is an anime website, I won't divulge into that.
Dannyr22Feb 20, 2023 6:52 AM
Feb 20, 2023 5:34 AM

Jul 2015
Oh nice, can't wait for the Fate doujins to become animated
Feb 20, 2023 5:36 AM

May 2018
"own anime"

Even if true, that would be one especially dumb, woodenly written anime and woodenly dubbed anime, with generic royalty free music and incomprehensible editing.

Feb 20, 2023 5:38 AM
Apr 2022
this AI AI thing is really infuriating............
Feb 20, 2023 5:48 AM
Oct 2022
alshu said:
"own anime"

Even if true, that would be one especially dumb, woodenly written anime and woodenly dubbed anime, with generic royalty free music and incomprehensible editing.

I'm not disagreeing, the same thing happened with self-published books when the market for that exploded and anybody was able to write and publish books. But then you also get the incredibly creative stuff that never would have otherwise been created. 

The ability for any imagination in our heads to become a visual medium is insane and really excitens me up. Otherwise, most of these imaginations would otherwise remain in our heads until we die. I would say the most creative stories in the world are in people's heads and once we break the barrier of actually making it, the 'sky is the limit'. Actually, there is no limit.  
Feb 20, 2023 5:53 AM

May 2019
My perfect anime would have a lot of breasts and butts and bikini armors.
Better get the AI trained on those.
Feb 20, 2023 5:55 AM

Apr 2015
>look at all these jobs people will lose
i wholeheartedly (is that how you spell it?) welcome the collapse of humanity ai is about to bring
with that being said sneed ai enthusiasts
Feb 20, 2023 5:57 AM

May 2018
Dannyr22 said:
Actually, there is no limit.

If some professionals can come up with stuff like Ex-Arm and Tesla Note, chances are amateurs would come up with the animated counterpart of Manos: The Hands of Fate - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manos:_The_Hands_of_Fate

It gave material for one of the best MST3K episodes...that counts for something.
Feb 20, 2023 6:22 AM

Oct 2014
I think AI will cause some interesting changes in the industry. Smaller emerging studios that otherwise wouldn't be able to produce their own shows without a lot of external investment will suddenly have a large portion of their manpower requirements alleviated. This will mean there will be more good shows as the barrier to entry is lowered, but there will also be more bad shows as studios who never should have existed are allowed to enter the market. I'd imagine the big boys will also start pumping out more anime than ever with their new more powerful tools and new competition, and studios like JC Staff and A-1 Pictures might be making 5 anime a season just because they can.

I don't think there's any reason to automate the initial writing process considering the vast amounts of manga, light novels, as well as Western novels out there that could be adapted, although you probably could get an AI to look at a source material and spit out an adequate script based on it. If AI takes over too much of the process I could see MAL rejecting some AI generated anime in the future, similar to how they allow Naria Girls on MAL but vtuber streams are not considered anime. A line has to be drawn somewhere.
Feb 20, 2023 6:29 AM

Jun 2022
It is certainly worrying, although it is also worth noting that this technology has been coming for a while now too. When I was studying journalism in college about 10 years ago, already then even our professor was telling us that it wasn't the best field to be in as AI could write the majority of stories that humans could based on only a few simple prompts. Hopefully those involved in animation now who will lose their jobs can transition to other careers. 

There was a video YouTube CGP Grey did a while ago called "Humans need not apply" which detailed how technology could have the capacity to replace just about every human profession in the future, and while some of his predictions did not come true, it still is a concerning scenario. 
Feb 20, 2023 6:42 AM

Jul 2021
i really hope that never happens. there will just be a surplus of trashy animes everywhere and animators would be payed even lesser.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Feb 20, 2023 7:18 AM
Oct 2022
zombie_pegasus said:
I think AI will cause some interesting changes in the industry. Smaller emerging studios that otherwise wouldn't be able to produce their own shows without a lot of external investment will suddenly have a large portion of their manpower requirements alleviated. This will mean there will be more good shows as the barrier to entry is lowered, but there will also be more bad shows as studios who never should have existed are allowed to enter the market. I'd imagine the big boys will also start pumping out more anime than ever with their new more powerful tools and new competition, and studios like JC Staff and A-1 Pictures might be making 5 anime a season just because they can.

I don't think there's any reason to automate the initial writing process considering the vast amounts of manga, light novels, as well as Western novels out there that could be adapted, although you probably could get an AI to look at a source material and spit out an adequate script based on it. If AI takes over too much of the process I could see MAL rejecting some AI generated anime in the future, similar to how they allow Naria Girls on MAL but vtuber streams are not considered anime. A line has to be drawn somewhere.
Do note the stories of these anime will still be made by human beings for the time being (so only the animation is generated). It simply would make it possible for one person to create an anime, which hasn't really been possible in a visual medium before. I'm excited to see the creativity that would bring as, for now, we only have self-published books to tell the stories in our heads by ourselves. 

Thank you for the answer though. Naria girls is an interesting experiment.
Feb 20, 2023 7:30 AM
Dec 2021
pretty sure it would suck 

I'm fluent in Java and JavaScript and can tell you the press is just clickbaiting hard on the AI hype lol
Feb 20, 2023 8:05 AM

Aug 2022
It's not going to happen. Japan is a purist country, sth like this simply won't be accepted by anyone with influence in the industry.
Feb 20, 2023 10:08 AM

Jan 2021
It would look like actual shit, worse than Ex-Arm.
Feb 20, 2023 3:02 PM
Oct 2019
In the next 5 years? Even a 50 would be questionable, you won't just create 24x12 mins of high quality animation from a button, unless someone decides to make a Sentient AI which in itself is a pipe dream, sure AI will enter the industry as a "tool" but it isn't taking over the entire industry, only repetitive tasks will be easier to handle and probably lesser jobs but dishing out entire anime from a few prompts? yeh no.

Also I am pretty sure half the stuff these headlines mention is clickbait, this is just like the "Metaverse and NFT" hype lol, give it 2 years and it will go away.
Feb 20, 2023 3:21 PM

Dec 2019
Gonna get ready for the most stale age in "anime" history, then.
Feb 20, 2023 3:24 PM
Oct 2022
Ager_ said:
In the next 5 years? Even a 50 would be questionable, you won't just create 24x12 mins of high quality animation from a button, unless someone decides to make a Sentient AI which in itself is a pipe dream, sure AI will enter the industry as a "tool" but it isn't taking over the entire industry, only repetitive tasks will be easier to handle and probably lesser jobs but dishing out entire anime from a few prompts? yeh no.

Also I am pretty sure half the stuff these headlines mention is clickbait, this is just like the "Metaverse and NFT" hype lol, give it 2 years and it will go away.
It can already be done, technically, just requires a lot of effort. You have to create a story and characters yourself, then generate 3000 pictures using DALL-E 2, use the mod to generate voice lines and thus one episode can be generated without requiring a team. 

The author is more interested in when main anime studios, such as Toei Animation, realize that they can massively cut overhead expenses by firing all animators (sad but inevitable, they're experimenting with it), and the cost reduction would inevitably lead to a massive explosion of anime being produced since the cost of animation will decline by 1000x. 
Feb 20, 2023 3:31 PM
Oct 2019
Dannyr22 said:
Ager_ said:

It can already be done, technically, just requires a lot of effort. You have to create a story and characters yourself, then generate 3000 pictures using DALL-E 2, use the mod to generate voice lines and thus one episode can be generated without requiring a team. 

The author is more interested in when main anime studios, such as Toei Animation, realize that they can massively cut overhead expenses by firing all animators (sad but inevitable, they're experimenting with it), and the cost reduction would inevitably lead to a massive explosion of anime being produced since the cost of animation will decline by 1000x. 

It cannot be done lol, Toei never "just" used AI without any animators behind it, the animators were still there, second the AI will not be able to create expressions like in anime completely on its own, it just cannot do that unless of course it's sentient, the author who wrote the content in the site clearly is a just a "massive overhyped kid" about AI, third AI won't be doing character animations solely on its own unless its some still shots or a shot of hair waving in the breeze lmao.
The source you shared is simply a clickbait blog without any solid proof backing it up.
Feb 20, 2023 4:46 PM

Oct 2011
Great, so we have to sift through millions of crap AI made stories and anime just to find a good one?
Feb 20, 2023 4:47 PM
Dec 2017
lol i think an ai is behind the isekai oversaturation honestly.

Feb 20, 2023 5:05 PM

Nov 2019
We've already got handful of copy-pasted shit as seasons come and go, so what's the deal with AI again? 
SgtBateManFeb 21, 2023 4:08 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Feb 20, 2023 5:09 PM
May 2021
Its obvious youre joking, but the reason why there is so many isekais is due to how commonplace they are on sites like pixiv and other sites. Its like how oever in the west, we have out system webnovels, so japan just has their isekai novels instead. Very much trying to appeal into a self insert sort of thing
Crow_Black said:
lol i think an ai is behind the isekai oversaturation honestly.
Feb 20, 2023 5:15 PM

Apr 2015
The day AI anime overtakes human made anime is the day I stop watching anime. Have you all seen the abominations the AI image generators make?
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 20, 2023 7:14 PM
Oct 2019
There'd be no point if the art/animation doesn't look good, and the voices aren't able to properly portray emotion. AI technology will never be able to make good art, it'll just become an excuse for greedy corporations to stop paying real artists, making it even harder to survive in this shitty capitalist hellscape by taking away the one field we never thought automation could take over.
Feb 20, 2023 11:00 PM

Aug 2022
And that will be the day I say hasta LA Vista to the world
Feb 26, 2023 3:13 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
That would be swell but it would cost an arm and a leg.. So the general anime neets won't be able to afford it..

Mar 11, 2023 4:28 PM

May 2018
Surprisingly enough (well, for me) we already have AI generated anime - https://www.twitch.tv/alwaysbreaktime
It's strong point is...is being totally nonsensical.
Mar 11, 2023 5:34 PM

Aug 2016
negative points aside, It would be interesting to see some passion proyects from competent animators using those AI to adapt manga  that will never get an anime series because they are too obscure or the industry is simply not giving them a chance. 
MichaelJacksonMar 13, 2023 8:22 PM
:v
Mar 11, 2023 5:45 PM

Jun 2019
I wonder if there will be elitism over AI anime. Like if you made something and constantly jerk it off saying that it's better than other fiction.
SoapMar 11, 2023 5:56 PM
Mar 11, 2023 5:51 PM
Feb 2021
Nobody will watch the shows like nobody views AI art. The industry would die. Fortunately, this would be an instance where Japan's borderline fanatical conservatism would be an advantage. Animation is a proud art among the Japanese, a cornerstone of their cultural identity and their country's post-WWII survival story. No matter how corporatized it may become, it will never run out of people who love genuine animation.

Now, America, on the other hand . . . I refer you to the 2022 Oscars.
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎

More topics from this board

» Do you see there being another Ecchi Anime as critically acclaimed as Mushoku Tensei in the future?

Dragevard - May 7

34 by LeonhartAugust »»
4 minutes ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 3 )

rohan121 - May 9

136 by KayKimii »»
17 minutes ago

» ⌛ How many of your top-10 fiction is anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - Mar 27, 2022

107 by Jackof-allspades »»
26 minutes ago

» Happy Mother's Day, Who Are Anime's Best Moms ?

tchitchouan - Today

10 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
30 minutes ago

» Do you think Berserk will ever get the adaptation it truly deserves?

Gashadokur0 - May 9

35 by Kurt_Irving »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.