Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 23, 2023 5:58 PM

Jun 2021
Manaban said:
IridescentJaune said:

Agree!

Maybe the Anime & Manga Clubs section should be revamped. There should be a 'Club Spotlight' or 'Featured Club', like MAL could feature a club for a month or something. 
Lmao. The amount of problems this would cause, ranging from accusations of favoritism given that all clubs are member-ran to non-selected clubs being hostile to the favored club, would wind up making it more trouble than it's worth for the club that's getting selected. I could very easily see this negatively impacting the club's reputation more than helping it.

The other - bigger - issue is that people get settled into clubs like they would any other community so long as it's ran well enough, so it's going to see diminishing returns fast. The first one or two clubs - if we're doing them a month at a time, like you said - will reap 99% of the benefits, most likely. The only exception would be that the club would have to shoot themselves in the foot via harsh mismanagement and cause their own members to go looking for something better, which would also hurt faith in the whole system.

Actually, I got the idea from MAL Interviews. They feature MAL users thru nominations, I guess (I've yet to read the guidelines and nomination process of that club, though)? MAL can do the same for clubs.

Alright, then some randomizer similar to the Interest Stacks main page perhaps?

Well, members of older clubs grew up so some are not as active as before; they've moved on from MAL's club scene or from MAL in general.
Feb 23, 2023 6:02 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
IridescentJaune said:
Manaban said:
Lmao. The amount of problems this would cause, ranging from accusations of favoritism given that all clubs are member-ran to non-selected clubs being hostile to the favored club, would wind up making it more trouble than it's worth for the club that's getting selected. I could very easily see this negatively impacting the club's reputation more than helping it.

The other - bigger - issue is that people get settled into clubs like they would any other community so long as it's ran well enough, so it's going to see diminishing returns fast. The first one or two clubs - if we're doing them a month at a time, like you said - will reap 99% of the benefits, most likely. The only exception would be that the club would have to shoot themselves in the foot via harsh mismanagement and cause their own members to go looking for something better, which would also hurt faith in the whole system.

Actually, I got the idea from MAL Interviews. They feature MAL users thru nominations, I guess (I've yet to read the guidelines and nomination process of that club, though)? MAL can do the same for clubs.

Alright, then some randomizer similar to the Interest Stacks main page perhaps?

Well, members of older clubs grew up so some are not as active as before; they've moved on from MAL's club scene or from MAL in general.
Hello! I've owned MAL Interviews since 2020. It's one of H&E's junior partners. I also worked in it back in 2017 and conducted about 20 interviews. The nomination system is incredibly arbitrary and is mostly decided by a backend discussing which nomination they think will get the most attention/provide the best interview. 

At least, that's how it's always worked when it's active. I don't care if it's alive or dead, frankly, since it benefits H&E either way. It's a win-more scenario, but the amount of resources and time investment it takes to run that club are about as high as clubs 10 times its size so it's had a long history of restarting and dying over and over again.

Also, most of the really active clubs are between 8 - 10 years old. New enough to not be super attached to their MAL activity but old enough to be around when Discord was taking off

The Friends Club is the only exception and I'm honestly still trying to figure that one out. Dunno if they're mass inviting or what. They'd be super effective at it if so
ManabanFeb 23, 2023 6:23 PM

Feb 23, 2023 6:41 PM

Dec 2008
Sure is a nice feature. Too bad I left all the clubs I've been in for the past 10 years, considering they were all dead and inactive.
Feb 23, 2023 7:58 PM

Mar 2008
Manaban said:
traed said:

Ive seen the opposite happen that clubs that created a Discord group killed all activity in the club and they no longer really are a club just a discord group with membership status displayed in a club. The comments I dont think are highlights while users do chat with them that is better read in a club forum thread in that you can more easily quote users and can read more replies at once. The club comments to me are more for introductions and brief updates users give and short chats so they dont need a constant stream of comments for the clubs to be active the clubs need a better window to them.  I think problem with low activity is because you have to go into the clubs to see the club forum posts of clubs you are in. There is no recent club forum posts box in a convenient place outside of the clubs like there is with the forum front page or the club comment update notification when you are on that home page after logging in.

MALgorithim. As things currently are, for desktop and non-app mobile users, the club with the most recent comment is pushed to the top of the visibility line when you first click on the club tab. On app, it's who has the most recent chatapp - which dictates the overwhelming majority of communication activity on the app considering the main forum isn't easily accessible through the app, if at all.

Club forums have a tool for sharing threads to alert your members of something such as an event or an important notice. You get one a week to prevent spamming notifications for attention. These have no effect on your visibility to potential new members, just the ability to ping all of your existing members who don't have that notification type disabled. They don't help you reach new people, they help you reach existing people by giving you an organization platform for them. That's the main purpose of forums and how they're most often utilized. 

Every 10k+ club ran/runs this structure, with the only real deviation being some clubs offering forum games in their forums on top of using them for event organization - the backbone of it is that club comments as main activity, forums for organized events like GFX cards or character contests or whatever. It's so integral to maintaining activity to the point where it's a fundamental to even succeed.

Hence, by design, clubs live and died for many years by how active their club comments section was. It was the only way to get new blood and new activity. The big member clubs (who didn't mass invite, at least) all had super active club comments sections. So, when Discord came out and provided a much superior option for the types of interactions that used to be found in club comments, clubs adapted or died. The ones who adapted to Discord being the primary area of communication stayed alive by ensuring their club comment section had activity at all times to keep their club visible to potential new members, given people will naturally leave over time. Some clubs - Namine's and E/H come to mind - had explicit staff jobs just for keeping the comments active.

The reason Discord can kill a club is because the people operating the club don't get how the MALgorithim works, so they never get new people by ensuring they have an active comments section. You *have* to get as much out of the comments as you can while still making it seem like a place that people will want to be. If they treated comments as a secondary activity hub and their club dies out, it's purely neglect/ignorance of how club visibility functions on this site, if you want me to be blunt about it. Even pre-Discord, clubs that neglected their comments section tended to die out, and they tended to die out pretty fast. If you treat comments like you're saying to do so here, you're not going to keep activity in your club. You'll either all migrate elsewhere or your people who aren't part of your friends group will go to a club where they can actually meet people after a while.

So, yeah. Comments are not only highlights, they have been - by MAL's own design - the main activity hub for (active) clubs since their inception. New people are important for keeping an online community active. It keeps things from getting stale, and activity functions like a snowball effect - the more you have, the easier it is to get more. These updates seem to be trying to move them away from that, first with the chatapp and now with this furry roleplay thing, rather than fix the frustrating elements of comments that made Discord kill them off (disorganization, lack of basic functions like editing, etc.)

What I meant was more about how users even if they are in a club often forget to check on their club. If no one makes a comment in the club and that happens to be at a time when it’s not pushed behind two other clubs someone is in being commented on the club can go for some time forgotten for a while by it’s members because the inconvenience of having to go into the my clubs page then the specific club then remembering to check the forum posts in the club on top of that which isnt focus because the only reminder currently is club comments. To get to a club’s forum main board is three clicks away.

About the lack of editing on comments Im not sure why it was like that to begin with. I assume there may have been a reason rather than it just being something neglected. It may have been to prevent users completely changing what they say to start users ganging up on another for something they didnt do or that is removed from context but that’s solved by having an edit indicator like in forum posts. I have no idea why it wasn’t implemented at least like how profile comments are at the very least. It’s confusing. Instead they took the comment system that was meant for characters, studios and people where there isnt really a discussion just canned comments.
Feb 23, 2023 11:52 PM

Sep 2010
AnimeMastery said:
traed said:
I wouldnt call that working. It creates massive circle jerks and people creating alts to downvote people they dont like or upvoting themselves.
Reddit brought in $350 million in revenue in 2021, primarily through advertising. Drama, Alt's, etc. Are all engagement. We don't have published numbers for MAL, but its estimated to be between $10-40 Million.

Reddit and MAL are vastly different, but both draw their revenue largely from advertisement. Reddit is 10x more successful than MAL. Businesses adapting successful methods from other businesses is a tried and true method.

Bullshit comparison. Reddit is a general purpose platform for everything, MAL is only about anime. No shit we have less users and revenue Sherlock. Have you ever even used reddit? Good luck having an unpopular opinion getting downvoted into the void. Have fun reading the same circlejerking about the same popular anime in every single thread. No thanks.
Feb 24, 2023 2:31 AM

Oct 2020
^ my gosh why did that guy thought of reddit for a comparison LMFAOO, seriously a ton of clueless people here, reddit is literally america’s discussion website
Feb 25, 2023 3:55 PM
Jan 2021
Interesting feature. 
Feb 26, 2023 2:36 AM

Dec 2015
It's not really April 1st yet. Better to focus on useful things instead of such silly gimmicks. Afaik there exists websites that offer such chats where people could register if they needed such a thing.
Feb 26, 2023 2:40 AM
Sep 2022
Swiggy said:
I'm familiar with how our MAL Bunkasai rooms worked, so it's great that we can have rooms like this that don't require us to download Steam, then another game, and then wobble into the virtual room if one's computer could handle it. Even better, I was able to access the room from both my phone and laptop. I think once it reaches its full potential, it can be seen as a great addition to MAL! I'm already thinking of ways to use these rooms.
Woah....

Is this how blind western Anime fans are? I feel sorry for the devs that made the MAL Bunkasai worlds.
Feb 26, 2023 5:35 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
r-sheru said:
Swiggy said:
I'm familiar with how our MAL Bunkasai rooms worked, so it's great that we can have rooms like this that don't require us to download Steam, then another game, and then wobble into the virtual room if one's computer could handle it. Even better, I was able to access the room from both my phone and laptop. I think once it reaches its full potential, it can be seen as a great addition to MAL! I'm already thinking of ways to use these rooms.
Woah....

Is this how blind western Anime fans are? I feel sorry for the devs that made the MAL Bunkasai worlds.
Hi, Sheru! If you remember me, I was one of the folks you graciously gave a VR Chat tour to after Bunkasai. I'm not exactly sure which part you're referring to, but a lot of people really struggled with VR Chat. Some couldn't even run it.

I don't mean to dump on the worlds the devs created nor on VR Chat in general. You showed me yourself how many amazing things one can do with VR Chat and I enjoyed the Bunkasai worlds very much. However, I think having little, easily accessible rooms like these would really help with those who were struggling while also allowing potential event hosts to think of ways they can utilize these spaces. Mainly, my concern is ease of access, so something like this does seem helpful in that regard.

However, that's not to say I think the MAL Bunkasai worlds in VR Chat can't serve their own purpose and I'm sorry it sounded like I wanted these clubrooms to fully replace VR Chat or something. I think there are still many things that would be better in VR Chat, and I've been thinking of things that would work well there since your tour, but for a lot of the type of events we had going on in VR Chat, we really would only need something like these 3D clubrooms (for some maybe with some additions) so participants don't have to jump through so many hoops in order to play anime alphabet or something. 

Apologies if that's not what you were talking about.;;

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Feb 26, 2023 7:53 AM

Aug 2008
Man, what a worthless feature. How about you try to have DB up to date (especially when it comes to manga), create a separate lists for LN and doujinshi or allow more UI customization (every new change in UI makes it worse for years already).
Ii tenki desu ne...
Feb 26, 2023 8:04 AM

Oct 2015
That actually made me laugh a little bit. Sounds interesting. I suppose I will have to try it out if and when it becomes a full feature.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Feb 27, 2023 12:06 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
The best Bunkasai events were the server events to be fair :> We were regularly pulling 40+ people in our server events at H&E, and the one we didn't was my personal favorite for quality of interaction. If that was a testing ground for this feature then ye idk.

Feb 27, 2023 8:00 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Manaban said:
The best Bunkasai events were the server events to be fair :> We were regularly pulling 40+ people in our server events at H&E, and the one we didn't was my personal favorite for quality of interaction. If that was a testing ground for this feature then ye idk.
The server was essential in making the event feel more like a festival. On a practical note, many events really were just better suited for the server. We tried really hard to get some events to work in VR Chat and it just was not working out in comparison to how well they ran in the server, so I imagine they'd work out even less in these clubrooms as they are now. Smaller games or join-when-you-want-to games would be perfect for these clubrooms though or even things like a maid cafe that might be able to accept users in different waves... but VR Chat would be much better for a maid cafe.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Feb 27, 2023 8:42 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Swiggy said:
Manaban said:
The server was essential in making the event feel more like a festival. On a practical note, many events really were just better suited for the server. We tried really hard to get some events to work in VR Chat and it just was not working out in comparison to how well they ran in the server, so I imagine they'd work out even less in these clubrooms as they are now. Smaller games or join-when-you-want-to games would be perfect for these clubrooms though or even things like a maid cafe that might be able to accept users in different waves... but VR Chat would be much better for a maid cafe.
Considering we booked and ran 4 of the server events and 3 of the ones that drew 40+ members, what I'm getting out of this is that H&E is an unstoppable monster to be feared by all :>

Mar 3, 2023 7:47 AM

Jun 2019
hahah this is awesome and the pics are kinda hilarious
Mar 4, 2023 10:54 PM

Jul 2017
Just give us a dark mode please it's not hard to do, i'm starting to think that yall don't use the website at all. because if you did you would've made it happen.

P.S: i don't want your fan made dark themes so don't bother
pickyotakuMar 4, 2023 11:00 PM
Mar 5, 2023 2:00 AM

Nov 2018
Just because MAL doesn't prioritize things properly, I made a meme.

Enjoy.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Mar 5, 2023 2:40 AM

Jun 2021
_cjessop19_ said:
Just because MAL doesn't prioritize things properly, I made a meme.

Enjoy.

Good one. 😆

There should also be a meme of them discussing or having a meeting in their 3D Clubroom. Hehe.
Mar 5, 2023 3:09 AM

Nov 2018
IridescentJaune said:
There should also be a meme of them discussing or having a meeting in their 3D Clubroom. Hehe.

If anyone's able to find a good template video, I shall try.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Mar 5, 2023 3:49 AM

Oct 2020
LOL nice one, aintnoway smn actually made a meme
SethisprMar 5, 2023 3:56 AM
Mar 5, 2023 11:07 AM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
me when mal mods add the absolutely most useless feature ever but refuse to add dark mode
is it really worf to put things in here like nobody reads these

discord ~ ganjimex

Mar 6, 2023 12:32 AM

Aug 2021
Just... why? Who asked for this?
Mar 7, 2023 1:40 AM

Sep 2010
Kineta said:
I don't know what I think about it... I guess it could make the site more user friendly, in a way, but I can't see it being a benefit for the majority. Meaning, I don't think it's something to focus on anytime in the near future, when many more useful features could be added...

That didn't age well.
Mar 7, 2023 7:09 AM

Feb 2010
^

Trying to use something she said FIFTEEN YEARS AGO to criticize her, wtf 😬

Mar 7, 2023 8:32 AM
May 2021
Wow
A new development of MAL.
Mar 7, 2023 5:13 PM

Jun 2011
Shishio-kun said:
^

Well it's not like any useful features have been added in 15 years so it's fair.
Mar 9, 2023 8:39 AM

Oct 2022
LMAO this shouldn't be so funny!
opin·ion
[əˈpɪnjən]

NOUN

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge:"that, in my opinion, is right" ·

Mar 10, 2023 9:53 PM

Feb 2019
If you google "tone deaf", this thread should be the first search result.
Mar 11, 2023 1:04 AM

Nov 2018
Shishio-kun said:
^

If this was Twitter, she would've been instantly cancelled.

Mar 11, 2023 1:18 AM

Sep 2010
Shishio-kun said:
^

But that also means they had 15 years time. Where are the many useful features that are a "benefit for the majority"?
Mar 20, 2023 1:13 AM

Aug 2021
like others said, a dark mode feature will be really good. kineta san

@kimota and @gas4078 what do you think?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2023 1:22 PM
Oct 2022
use a chrome extension for dark mode
Mar 26, 2023 5:45 AM
Jan 2021
Catalano said:
dark mode when? my eyes are hurting because of this white
who the hell will even use that shit 3d when clubs are dead?

Mine works in dark mode. Try turning your phone theme to dark mode. My MAL works in Dark mode so it would work for you too ig
Mar 26, 2023 5:57 AM

Oct 2010
ateks said:
Kineta said:
I don't know what I think about it... I guess it could make the site more user friendly, in a way, but I can't see it being a benefit for the majority.  Meaning, I don't think it's something to focus on anytime in the near future, when many more useful features could be added...

That didn't age well.
this is absolutely amazing, goes to show how lost the admin team is

literally mal admins theme song
Mar 26, 2023 6:25 PM
May 2016
I made a request to access the "3d rooms" and got no response
Apr 19, 2023 11:39 AM
Apr 2023
so wtf is this 💀
Apr 20, 2023 1:22 AM
May 2020
Eh,is this good?
Aug 11, 2023 8:34 AM

Sep 2010
Did anyone ever use this? I can't even find it anywhere anymore. Was it secretly removed?
Aug 11, 2023 6:09 PM

Jun 2021
ateks said:
Did anyone ever use this? I can't even find it anywhere anymore. Was it secretly removed?

I can't find it anymore as well. There used to be a red cube icon next to the club name in the app for clubs that applied and enabled the 3D Clubroom. I never really got to try it as I couldn't enter whenever I tried for some reason (or perhaps I was able to access for a brief moment but no one was around so I didn't bother exploring). Plus, most of my clubs didn't have that enabled.

Edit:
Link still works and admins can still apply, though.

Application Form: Apply for Beta Testing ۹( •̀ᴗ•́ )۶.

Inside clubs:
3D Clubroom
Explore your space and voice/text chat with other club members in real time!
Apply for beta testing.

Maybe they just removed it in the app? I'm not sure.
IridescentJauneAug 11, 2023 6:26 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

208 by hawkpelt5 »»
4 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.