Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2023 9:12 AM

Aug 2022
Do you see CGDCT becoming the new Isekai of anime? Maybe in a few more years it'll become the new trash to look out for every season. Your thoughts on this glorious upheaval?

Edit: Maybe Bocchi can be the pioneer of a new wave of CGDCT. It's certainly attracting a lot of interest in Japan. More than most isekai at least.
StaleNutFeb 7, 2023 10:19 AM
Feb 7, 2023 9:19 AM

Sep 2014
I'm pretty sure the opposite has already happened.
Feb 7, 2023 9:31 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
Huh? There are fewer CGDCT shows than there used to be.
Feb 7, 2023 9:34 AM

Feb 2020
Ehh, not really. This is not 2010-2018 anymore. Nowadays we get maybe 1-2 CGDCT per season.
Feb 7, 2023 9:58 AM

May 2019
i would prefer if neither were popular, long live traditional fantasy ecchi and bikini armors.
Feb 7, 2023 10:01 AM

May 2018
In terms of becoming as generic, low-valued and bait-oriented as isekai, yes.
StaleNut said:
Maybe in a few more years it'll become the new trash to look out for every season. 
Uhm, it's already been trash for some period of time.
Nemo_NiemandFeb 7, 2023 10:06 AM

Feb 7, 2023 10:09 AM

Jan 2021
The moe revolution has come and gone. I would welcome a revival, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Feb 7, 2023 10:12 AM
Oct 2020
Isn't CGDCT less lucrative than isekai in terms of number of shows
Feb 7, 2023 10:58 AM

Jul 2021
I'd be happy if there was a rise in the number of CGDCT shows each season, but I don't think that's going to happen soon as we aren't getting many CGDCT shows and that number doesn't seem to be increasing either.
Feb 7, 2023 11:07 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Wdym by that? There's dozen of generic isekai with the same skeleton each season
Feb 7, 2023 11:08 AM

Jan 2021
Japan literally decided CGDCT is not enough for escapism 😭
Feb 7, 2023 11:17 PM

Apr 2015
Are you ok OP? Have you looked at the current and past seasons? We barely get many, if at all a single CGDCT anime these days, heck, the only two we have this season are a short episode anime, and the other is a gender-bender. 
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 7, 2023 11:37 PM

Mar 2021
This is delusional CGDCT has come and gone now go back and watch your 20th shitty isekai of the season
★・・・・・・★
If you wish to treat this incident as our nation’s scheme, that is fine by me. History is written by the victors. All of your false accusations will soon be erased.
★・・・・・・★

Feb 8, 2023 3:50 AM
Jun 2021
KryzakamiHrybami said:
I'm pretty sure the opposite has already happened.

/thread
There was this huge moe wave that pushed a lot of the older and more established genres like mecha, sci-fi and fantasy out of the limelight from around 2009 to 2013 after which isekai took over thanks to SAO being one of the biggest money-printing presses in the history of modern anime.
CGDCT has seen some bounce back thanks to shows like Bocchi but I don't think we're moving past the "generic harem isekai" just yet given it's still making huge bank even in the rest of the world.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Feb 8, 2023 1:12 PM
Jul 2018
I would say we are still in peak Isekai trend (just see how many Isekais there are these season). While there are still CGDCT anime their number seems to be extremely smaller than few years ago(similar to how there were a lot of mecha back in the day but now there are almost none). I would suspect Isekai will be thrown out by some new genre in future. But for new Isekai is here to stay and be mid.
Feb 8, 2023 1:29 PM

May 2021
wish i liked isekai the way i did when i was a youngin lol there’s so much isekai content to consume 
incidentally it’s now my least favourite kind of anime (along with mecha and harem shows) so if cute girls doing cute things replaces it in terms of available shows each season trash or peak i would welcome the shift
here’s hoping! (but i think isekai is here to stay for a good while)
Feb 8, 2023 1:31 PM
Dec 2017
bottle fairy is such a slept on one and it defo deserves its love.

Feb 8, 2023 1:45 PM

Nov 2008
Crow_Black said:
It's an early 2000's anime, anything that isn't Toradora, Sister Princess, Negima, Love Hina, etc. is most likely forgotten by now.

Feb 8, 2023 1:46 PM
Dec 2017
Hoppy said:
Crow_Black said:
It's an early 2000's anime, anything that isn't Toradora, Sister Princess, Negima, Love Hina, etc. is most likely forgotten by now.
Yeah anyhting from the 90s and 2000s are often forgotten sadly these days. And if its from that era its going to be cancelled by the wokies soon enough.

Feb 8, 2023 2:05 PM

Jul 2019
Bocchi was an exception, CGDCT is dead and won't be revived soon
Feb 8, 2023 2:53 PM
Mar 2017
The thing is instead of shows around it we have characters that fit that kind of already in romcoms or other genres anyway so I guess why bother. Or an era has happened and few are being made/are as popular but it doesn't mean it doesn't still exist many always come around. I mean when is the office lady boom? I mean tons there. XD Jokes aside.

Well Do It Yourself came out last season so if people forget that was a CGDCT show then well there you go. Sure we don't see as many but still does 100s existing have to mean that's it does 1 mean it's dead no.

It's easy to avoid isekai and ignore them. I hate them and how badly they are handled their so pathetic of writing (Forspoken made me remember how Alice/Narnia are in comparison of not introducing a character before the world just jump in who cares I hate the 180 intro it's lazy and just bad and most gimmicks suck, most isekai are trash without many good ideas/handling), I get the appeal but I can get into anything and most pandering of it I find laughable they don't convince me if they do other people Japanese or westerners well they must be easy to influence/suck into their world because I don't get sucked into anything (yes funny how getting sucked into anime and getting out aside XD exploring the medium you got to do that of course but I don't buy everything of merch only what I care about the DVDs and games and books that's it or just watch and move on) they are so dumb even if CGDCT shows are also dull many are good if they have enough going on.

New Game has arcs of per game, the mentor, the in-between segments, the interview with Aoba's friend and testing her or her programming journey after being a QA tester, the job day to day stuff is funny and on point it's my favourite example of a slice of life/only female cast show. It has things going on in it that I liked seeing and the manga expands to making a secret game in the company, moving to other dev studios in other countries so different expectations. There is so many layers and situations it never gets boring it's just hard to keep up with 4 koma style reading that's all is why I stopped reading it.

I prefer it handling video game development better than western ones of Mystic Quest (office or other style comedies that sucks, well it covers an MMO/live service game so it's on point but even still the dialogue and more is just eh. I mean it may be part old Atari having fun but eh) or the movie Grandma's Boy with the cancelled Xbox game even.

CGDCT can have something going for it if dynamics are used well. Many just take the shallow approach.
Suntanned_Duck2Feb 8, 2023 2:57 PM
Feb 8, 2023 3:22 PM

Oct 2022
The Isekai Ship-of-fools cannot sink fast enough. But no it just keeps going and going and going...
Feb 8, 2023 3:23 PM

Mar 2021
Like Lycoris Recoil and Bocchi the rock are going to become bigger than Re Zero and Overlord. LMAO. Just search on ami ami and the bubble will burst.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FodrCcEX0AAb-l1?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
Feb 8, 2023 4:15 PM

Aug 2018
CGDCT isnt a real genre anyway. There are still plenty of shows carried entirely by the female portion of it's cast and that includes most isekai. As if the power of cute anime girls will ever diminish.
Feb 8, 2023 5:36 PM

Mar 2018
I hope there’s a CGDCT comeback, but I hope it’s more of the k-on or yuru camp variety than bocchi. More iyashikei and SoL style and more of the CG actually doing CT
Feb 8, 2023 5:46 PM

Apr 2015
epidemia78 said:
CGDCT isnt a real genre anyway. There are still plenty of shows carried entirely by the female portion of it's cast and that includes most isekai. As if the power of cute anime girls will ever diminish.
But not everyone likes the isekai stuff, I'd be fine if these cute female characters were still in a fantasy setting, but not an isekai one. 
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 8, 2023 6:27 PM

Oct 2014
The popularity of CGDCT predates the rise of isekai and while there are still plenty of them, their rate of release hasn't increased relative to other genres in the last 5 years. There are far more isekai per season currently than CGDCT per season.
Feb 8, 2023 7:28 PM

Nov 2019
They've produced some CGDCT dead-ends recently, such as Akebi's Sailor Uniform, Do It Yourself, etc And Non Non Biyori died in such a distasteful way.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 7 hours ago

32 by Dauphine »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 9 hours ago

20 by Dauphine »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

28 by Dauphine »»
8 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

63 by GreatestSaltboy »»
9 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

115 by Voila_ »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.