Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 29, 2010 9:19 AM

Oct 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Best anime in this season!
Akashi san maji kawaii!!!
honrowApr 29, 2010 9:29 AM
Apr 29, 2010 10:39 AM
Feb 2010
This anime is definitely interesting and has an intriguing art style.

I feel like there is a Higurashi-esque time flow going on... just me?
Apr 29, 2010 3:01 PM

Jul 2009
Excellent. I love how they go into the ending sequence.
Apr 29, 2010 5:37 PM

Aug 2009
Oh good, they slowed down a bit (except for Watashi's narrations)

-Okay, I'm starting to see how this works, this is kinda like Endless Eight but done correctly and inspired by Higurashi/Umineko time loops:P. But in all serious, once he did the 4th wall shattering "Haven't we had this conversation before," I got it together. Also, I really think Akashi-san is my favorite character

-"That'll be 2000 yen."
"Did your prices go up?"

-I love the way they destroyed that pompus jerk. Ozu may be an evil little demon but I think what he brings out in Watashi is even worse.

-Oh my god, they made out at the end...
Apr 29, 2010 7:28 PM

Nov 2007
I was like why different setting as ep.1, and I learned that the time was turned back and the life was different but the basic elements are still there like Akashi, Ozu, "Watashi" and uranai shi.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 29, 2010 8:36 PM

Jul 2007
The timeline is going Groundhog Day on us. I approve.

Ozu is such a little troll, but I never get a malicious feeling from him. Seeing the juxtaposition between Jougasaki on the king's chair and then the reality shot of him drunk hanging off two girls makes me believe there is a big difference between reality and Watashi's interpretation of reality. Ozu's probably the same. I don't think he's a bad guy, but more like someone who has chosen and is proud of the questionable choices he has made in life. In other words, the antithesis of Watashi. I also don't think he wants to bring Watashi down. If anything, I think Watashi is bringing himself down and using Ozu as a scapegoat.

Next episode nao plz.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 29, 2010 9:13 PM

Aug 2008
I got the same feeling from this episode as I did the first... theres just something in there that makes me find this as a 'meh' anime. At least now I know it wasn't the fast talking.

I'm starting to think the main problem is Watashi's voice actor, and his non-interesting tone in general, but I still can't say for sure. Either way, I'm just not feeling this anime. It's not terrible, but its not interesting either.
Apr 29, 2010 10:48 PM

Mar 2009
Kind of boring next to the first episode. It established the storyline, and the protagonist's movies were fun, as well as the little new content on Akashi and Ozu. Hope it picks up soon.
Apr 30, 2010 4:22 AM
Jun 2008
It seems the protagonist always think he is wasting his time....negative thinker??
But it seem he is disapprove the action of the breast hentai guy!!!Guy stalk a Guy.....
"Documentary is a intentional action??"Its seems the demon word really cool ^^
Poor him,He let go the chance again,If only he never trash Jouga,he might have chance to win the heart of Akashi.
"I don't really hate it actually"~Akashi

The fortune-telling old lady increase from 1000yen to 2000yen .I laugh very hard that time
Apr 30, 2010 1:15 PM

Jun 2009
It's interesting how they reseted a second time at the end of an episode now.
The question is wether they want to keep that up or if they want to take 2 or 3 episodes for an arc, too, some later episode. I at least hope so, as it would make characterising some characters a bit more complicated than necessary if it was stretched over different worlds.

Still I liked it very much.
It perfectly kept the right atmosphere, but changed some things from the source material here and there so to not make future events too boring or predictable.
I was suprised that the 'Kidnap Kaori' plan was already foreshadowed, as well as the Proxy-Proxy War.
I assume next episode will deal a bit more with Master Higuchi.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Apr 30, 2010 1:19 PM

Aug 2009
You know, people clamor all the time for a new, original anime that isn't "moe-crap" as it is so eloquently put, but when it does, it only gets 10 posts....
Apr 30, 2010 2:02 PM

Sep 2009
garfield15 said:
You know, people clamor all the time for a new, original anime that isn't "moe-crap" as it is so eloquently put, but when it does, it only gets 10 posts....

Yeah, it's a fact.
I'm really liking this, and thank God they decreased the narrations of Watashi, I was going insane trying to read the subs so fast.
But then, it's worthy. Hoping for more.
Apr 30, 2010 2:13 PM

Jun 2009
garfield15 said:

Yeah...wherever you go around the net, almost nobody's watching a series like this, but still all of them keep complaining how there's nothing new, nothing fancy, nothing besides 'moe', as you said.
And it will be the same for the next season and the one after that...

It's times like these where I actually prefer the people who say out loud that they prefer light-hearted, easy to swallow series like K-On or Angel Beats...at least they are honest about what they want...

私が、探偵だからよ。
Apr 30, 2010 4:36 PM
Jun 2008
seizonsha said:
garfield15 said:

Yeah...wherever you go around the net, almost nobody's watching a series like this, but still all of them keep complaining how there's nothing new, nothing fancy, nothing besides 'moe', as you said.
And it will be the same for the next season and the one after that...

It's times like these where I actually prefer the people who say out loud that they prefer light-hearted, easy to swallow series like K-On or Angel Beats...at least they are honest about what they want...
At least not as much comment like " HOLY QUICK DIALOGUE ".I think the first episode is like a filter to filter out those people who can't take it LOL.This episode monologue reduce alot.
Apr 30, 2010 5:16 PM

Aug 2008
garfield15 said:
I think the problem with only 10 posts here is because there isn't really any fansub/rip release yet. Theres the Funimation stream, and stream sites that have ripped but, but no download-able version.
Apr 30, 2010 5:28 PM

Aug 2009
llamaben said:
garfield15 said:
I think the problem with only 10 posts here is because there isn't really any fansub/rip release yet. Theres the Funimation stream, and stream sites that have ripped but, but no download-able version.

True fact is very true, but then again, let's look at something.

Currently, the amount of posts for the first episode of this is 118. Standard first episode post fare. But let's look at the amount for let's say K-ON!! S2's first episode. 371. "But wait, that doesn't seem very fair. That's a second season and it's riding popularity from the first." Excellent point. That isn't very fair at all. So in that case let's look at the amount for K-ON! S1's first episode when the show was fresh and no one really knew about it.

Look, I like K-ON a lot and watch it every week, so this is nothing against the show itself. This is against the people who consider that nothing is released except "moe-crap." Well no shit there is, you're proving it right now. Don't go blaming an industry for these so called "problems" if you're proving it right there. I'll proudly say "I watch anything that interests me and that includes moe and psychological" and I'll admit maybe there can be a little less pandering but if people are not watching these "original productions" like they want...well, then you get three pages of posts like anime-original Senkou no Night Raid. (Which isn't bad but it's not even 100)
Apr 30, 2010 5:37 PM
Jun 2008
@garfield15
the less post the less popular the Anime
I think this Anime is quite nice depend on the person personality lol

I won't mind spam a few message here to increase the post in this thread
(I bet more post will comes in when the sub comes out just like Rainbow)
Apr 30, 2010 11:19 PM

Jul 2009
garfield15 said:
llamaben said:
garfield15 said:

True fact is very true, but then again, let's look at something.

Currently, the amount of posts for the first episode of this is 118. Standard first episode post fare. But let's look at the amount for let's say K-ON!! S2's first episode. 371. "But wait, that doesn't seem very fair. That's a second season and it's riding popularity from the first." Excellent point. That isn't very fair at all. So in that case let's look at the amount for K-ON! S1's first episode when the show was fresh and no one really knew about it.

Except that thread has been open for over a year and the episode thread of Yojou-Han Shinwa Taikei has been open for 2 weeks.
May 1, 2010 1:29 AM
Mar 2009
I definitely love this show. I love Ozu. He's the best.
Devil in the details
May 1, 2010 9:13 AM

Oct 2009
I so love this show! it has this certain feel in to it that no other anime has given me before haha. People call me misunderstood when watching this but haha what the hey
May 1, 2010 1:57 PM

Nov 2009
I like this anime a lot.

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
Emo Philips
May 1, 2010 7:18 PM

May 2009
With the principal characters established and with less being thrown at the viewer, the second episode was much easier to follow compared to the first.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the head of the movie circle exposed for the person he really is as he got exactly what he deserved. Still it's hard not to come out it feeling sad for Watashi. It will be interesting to see him slowly realize the real reason why his life went off course.
May 1, 2010 8:00 PM

Sep 2008
I like where this is going. If there will be more different 'interpretation' of Watashi's circumstances on the next episodes, I'll say it with a straight face that this is the best show of the season.
May 1, 2010 8:31 PM

Nov 2009
Well i can see your point the lack of posting, however those people are just missing out on it. Maybe they just couldn't keep up with the pace of Wastashi's talking? If you feel like increasing the popularity then you can find ways to do that.

The thing with the time loop, was like with Higurashi it allowed you to absorb the information a bit better. I know that him going back, on a slightly different path, helped me reconsider what happened in the first episode.

The scene where he was switching the films actually got me sort of restless, after him being thrown into the river last episode, i didn't know what to expect at the end of this. I do have to say the way he produced the movie was funny and did bring justice!
Awesome episode. More!
May 2, 2010 9:48 AM

Jul 2009
Best show this season.
May 2, 2010 2:58 PM
Dec 2007
Hands down the best episode of 2010 for now. The theme of the episode was fantastic and the execution was simply perfect. Brilliant.

Splitter said:
The timeline is going Groundhog Day on us. I approve.

Yep, legendary movie, in an entertaining way ;)

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 2, 2010 8:19 PM

Mar 2009
The Japanese Groundhog Day! :)) Haha LOL However, everyone... I'm a big fan of the Moe stuff, and other things... And I am getting a huge kick out of this! :D Its freaking awesome. He's bringing it on himself and Ozu is just making it more entertaining, and him act even worse. Hope in the next few episodes he wakes the fuck up. Then again, I hope he doesn't because it would make it maybe go too quickly. Oh yeah, Akashi-san RULES!! She is awesome. ---- Randy
May 2, 2010 10:27 PM

Apr 2009
My hypothesis is that the next birdman circle episode will be the last of the repeated plot, because isn't that the group he's escaping from in the first episode?
Ozu was dressed in his 'pure romance film' leading actress costume when he threatened to jump.
And only two guys from the crowd of his pursuers are focused on, one of which we now recognize as Jougasaki.
May 3, 2010 12:35 AM
May 2010
I joined MAL just because I want to discuss this show, and no one has talked about it as much as they've talked about it here.

Here's my take on things for the first two episodes: http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2010/05/yojo-han-shinwa-taikei-the-tatami-galaxy-1-and-2-unconventional-beauty/

@alilya...

That's a good hypothesis, the anime being cyclic. But it hasn't shown the other girls and characters in the OP as yet. Maybe we'll know more about it as the series goes by.

No, we'll know more about it.
May 3, 2010 4:43 AM

Apr 2010
Change the way you think otherwise things just repeat with different circumstances… I actually need to do that myself. xD

Awesome anime.
May 3, 2010 5:21 AM

May 2007
Episode 02 was just really good and now I somewhat understand the whole "Galaxy" part of this series. :rolleyes: I'm not entirely sure if this meant to be a supernatural element of the series or a psychological one, where the main lead is going through episodes of insanity. When, I think of him gradually loosing his grip on reality, I fear the worst........perhaps, the reason why he's going through these "episodes", joining a new and different club in each episode...meeting Akashi-san and falling in love with her but always failing to remember his promise at the right time and not being able to have the courage to ask her out properly. However, what actually happened was the day after he failed to ask her out, she was killed in an accident. Hence, after finding out about it, he experiences these episodes implying that he is steadily going mad. This is mere speculation on my part, I have no real basis but this is a possible scenario that might be the case.

Jougasaki-senpai, is a pervert but his boob wall was hilarious and the way he was rubbing his face against one of the many "boobs". ROFL However, it seems he has a girlfriend or is it a sex doll ? I think she's alive and I think he called her Kaori. ;)

Akashi-chan is soooo cute and I hope the series ends with him finally keeping his promise(s) and having the courage to finally asking her out.

Ozu and the male lead sharing a kiss at the end of the episode was really creepy. =O

Next week, the lead joins the Cycling Club.

I just read this short blog of the first 2 episodes of this series and I have to say it was a very good read imo.

http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2010/05/yojo-han-shinwa-taikei-the-tatami-galaxy-1-and-2-unconventional-beauty/comment-page-1/#comment-108610

As you guys already know the series is based on a novel by Morimi Tomihiko, who also wrote a 5-volume rom-com manga series, called Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome that hasn't got scanlated yet.;)

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=24196
JCDRANZERMay 3, 2010 5:51 AM
May 3, 2010 5:45 AM
May 2010
I
JCDRANZER said:
Episode 02 was just really good and now I somewhat understand the whole "Galaxy" part of this series. :rolleyes: I'm not entirely sure if this meant to be a supernatural element of the series or a psychological one, where the main lead is going through episodes of insanity. When, I think of him gradually loosing his grip on reality, I fear the worst........perhaps, the reason why he's going through these "episodes", joining a new and different club in each episode...meeting Akashi-san and falling in love with her but always failing to remember his promise at the right time and not being able to have the courage to ask her out properly. However, what actually happened was the day after he failed to ask her out, she was killed in an accident. Hence, after finding out about it, he experiences these episodes implying that he is steadily going mad. This is mere speculation on my part, I have no real basis but this is a possible scenario that might be the case.

Jougasaki-senpai, is a pervert but his boob wall was hilarious and the way he was rubbing his face against one of the many "boobs". ROFL However, it seems he has a girlfriend or is it a sex doll ? I think she's alive and I think he called her Kaori. ;)

Akashi-chan is soooo cute and I hope the series ends with him finally keeping his promise(s) and having the courage to finally asking her out.

Ozu and the male lead sharing a kiss at the end of the episode was really creepy. =O

Next week, the lead joins the Cycling Club.

It's a plausible theory but that's too bleak. I doubt this show is going City of Angels on us, because while it's still probably going to be good and quite heartbreaking I just don't really feel it going that path.
May 3, 2010 5:57 AM

May 2007
physics223 said:
It's a plausible theory but that's too bleak. I doubt this show is going City of Angels on us, because while it's still probably going to be good and quite heartbreaking I just don't really feel it going that path.

Yeah, after writing that, I don't really see the series going down that road....was having too much fun. =P

It will most likely end with the male lead understanding who he must blame (himself) and deal with self-destructive attitude and behaviour. Culminating to the point where he keeps his promise(s) with Akashi-san, whilst using the courage he gains from his experiences to break the walls that cave him in his 4.5 tatami room and finally asking her out....and her reply "You're late and Yes!"......Happy Ending. Well, that it was I'm hoping to get at the end of the series. =)
JCDRANZERMay 3, 2010 7:02 AM
May 3, 2010 6:53 AM

Dec 2007
a hilarious episode. despair and frustration rumbling under the thin cover of flashy art almost made me shiver. I hope that Japanese version of Groundhog Day won't last for long and we'll witness not only a character but a plot developments as well.

and I seriously hope that JCDRANZER's won't become true and a theory about endless circle of repeating until he confesses to Akashi-san won't be the one as well, because both of them seems to be too predictable.
though we shouldn't forget a Massaki's love to happy endings =)
May 3, 2010 7:07 AM

May 2007
Lol....I guess I made a couple of you guys slightly anxious but your right about the director and I so hope that it will be a happy ending as I mentioned above.....like Kemonozume and perhaps with a chilling twist like that series as well. Plus, the original creator's manga he started in 2007 (but has already finished) was a fairly happy rom-com series...only 5 volumes. ;)
May 3, 2010 7:40 AM
May 2010
@JCDRANZER

Thanks for the comment. I'll get back to you in a little while.

If you really think about it, the term 'Tatami Galaxy' is an oxymoron. Assuming that one pertains to the regular Japanese room, 4.5 tatami mats correspond to nine square feet. That's how big the room is. Yet, incongruous with the tatami is term 'galaxy,' something vast and nigh-infinite. As a description of the titular character we are presented with this incongruity: he believes he can do big things, and yet is an insignificant person in reality, respected and treated as a normal human being by only Akashi-san and Ozu. Yet just as the limited space of the 4.5 tatami mat is creatively expanded and utilized by most Japanese, so can his wicked and jealous person be transformed into something good and humane.

As I've said in my post, Ozu is merely Watashi's scapegoat yet he himself fails to see that the shortcomings are coming from within. I believe that as the story develops we shall see him evolve to become the person who can speak his mind and cherish love as well as improve upon himself: perhaps he'll finally confess to Akashi-san.

I really like this anime because I am Watashi to some extent: I sometimes wonder whether I should still pine for the possibility of a beautiful lady to know, or content myself with the people who care for me. I don't mean this in merely romantic terms: should I stay content with the people who love me? Should I not look further? Or should I dream?

Although I'm not as vitriolic or vituperative as Watashi is, the questions that he posits in the anime are very relevant to me, and to everyone who calls himself human.

Iahel:

The problem I see with that theory is that the fortune-teller increased her fees. Were the first episode the ending I don't think it would have been so. The hypothesis is quite plausible, but I personally see it as just a focal point and not the series's focal point.
May 3, 2010 9:32 AM

Dec 2007
Gentlemen, this anime is simply
May 3, 2010 9:51 AM

May 2008
rarri said:

QFT
May 3, 2010 11:51 AM

Jun 2009
JCDRANZER said:

As you guys already know the series is based on a novel by Morimi Tomihiko, who also wrote a 5-volume rom-com manga series, called Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome that hasn't got scanlated yet.;)

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=24196

Yoru-Otome has a manga adaption?! Now I'm actually suprised.
Originally it was a sort of follow-up novel to Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei, being set in the same place and approximately the same time. It also features some familiar characters from Yojouhan, but seems to be much less fantastic than that one.
While Yojouhan is a novel following the principles of magical realism (with strong comedy elements), Yoru-Otome seems to really be more of a normal romantic comedy.

I think I'm gonna read the manga if I have time...even though I planned to get the novel soon.

If you really think about it, the term 'Tatami Galaxy' is an oxymoron.

While that is true, and I suppose that person must have read the novel, I think the title was an invention by a foreign fan.
The original title 四畳半神話大系 means something like The 4.5 Tatami Myth Compendium...but the interpretation of the sub-title is interesting.

If someone's interested, I actually wrote some of my thoughts on the original novel a while back.
My blog
(*sigh* I really need to write new reviews...books are piling up again)

私が、探偵だからよ。
May 3, 2010 1:19 PM

Nov 2009
rarri said:

AbsoFuckiN'lutely! 8D
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
Emo Philips
May 3, 2010 2:49 PM

Jun 2009
not your normal anime I can say that, normal i get what there going on about even in hard core mind fucks yet this show leaves me some what confused
May 3, 2010 5:00 PM

Sep 2008
I have to say, this anime does not let me down on the entertainment department. I have no idea what's going on, but the hopeless romance just drags me in and the antics are quite amusing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2010 6:54 PM

Jul 2009
loved it~