Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 6, 2010 12:42 PM

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another excellent episode. The way they go into the ending is awesome.
May 6, 2010 1:00 PM

Mar 2009
Akashi yay. Great to see what she's been up to on her own while the protagonist is sulking. The Birdman references from the first episode had been confusing me.

Ozu was just the villain this time, but on the other hand we get to see the boob worshiper as a friend and a little more of Fujiwara Keiji's connection to Ozu. How the protagonist ends up 'wasting his college years' is yet again totally different, so creativity doesn't seem to be lacking.

The rewind gimmick is going to start weighing the series down if there isn't some kind of progress next episode, whether it be a milestone for the protagonist or real development for Ozu.
May 6, 2010 3:31 PM

Nov 2007
Cycling club this time.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 6, 2010 3:32 PM

Aug 2009
I was trying to figure out what everyone was talking about with the Birdman thing.

Wow, way to be an epic dick Ozu. You're still a funny character but the way he pinned it on Watshi was just...awful. (Speaking of which "We're in the free-flying competition!")

Return of the boob wall. Guess that's not going away :P
May 6, 2010 5:06 PM
May 2010
It's quite sad that there's no subgroup consistently releasing it except Commie. But such is the price of unique excellence.

I am not happy. :(
May 6, 2010 6:44 PM
Dec 2009
Well, they are posting it on Hulu. It's legal and free.

Anyway, I really like how the protagonist is so relatable because to the nerdy kind of people who would watch this show. If he doesn't succeed at getting the girl and being happy by the end, I thing I'll cry.

It needs to get dubbed though. It's too hard to keep track of the subtitles while also enjoying the visuals.
May 6, 2010 7:08 PM

Jan 2008
I'm in love with Akashi

very good episode once again, but I hope it will not be the "one episode - one club" pattern till the end, I hope he'll find the right one soon and get along with Akashi

this is becoming too repetitive, to be honest.
May 6, 2010 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
Initially, Watashi raced ahead briefly fuelled from his determination, yet he ultimately came to a stop in the race before the others. Indeed, Akashi and Watashi stopped from cycling to view the cherry blossom, while the ever-moving real world continued. Later, after his failure in his endeavours, we see that Watashi isn't content with being led by Akashi. As such, he eventually loses sight of her which is in line with the earlier episodes. Because of this, we find that it is in fact Akashi who has to pedal to catch up with Watashi. Yet he won't get off for her, he still has fleeting dreams, and, consequently, he continues to have his back to her. Ultimately, his misdirected effort is revealed and he must eventually come to another crash.

I am not particularly sure as to why the machines move her heart, perhaps it is an indication that she is very much so a modern girl. I suppose, considering this, and that Watashi needs to be led by Akashi (for him to be with her), that the author is saying that we are in a time where it is acceptable for Akashi to lead Watashi. Then again, this makes a rather big assumption that Watashi needs to be led by Akashi for him to get her. Watashi only asks whether Icarus could have ridden the wind if he didn't try so hard, it says nothing about the nature of the outcome if he had simply gone with the flow. Perhaps what they really need to do is ride together, not behind one another, but simply side-by-side.
removed-userMay 6, 2010 8:14 PM
May 7, 2010 3:15 AM

Mar 2009
AHR said:
Initially, Watashi raced ahead briefly fuelled from his determination, yet he ultimately came to a stop in the race before the others. Indeed, Akashi and Watashi stopped from cycling to view the cherry blossom, while the ever-moving real world continued. Later, after his failure in his endeavours, we see that Watashi isn't content with being led by Akashi. As such, he eventually loses sight of her which is in line with the earlier episodes. Because of this, we find that it is in fact Akashi who has to pedal to catch up with Watashi. Yet he won't get off for her, he still has fleeting dreams, and, consequently, he continues to have his back to her. Ultimately, his misdirected effort is revealed and he must eventually come to another crash.

I am not particularly sure as to why the machines move her heart, perhaps it is an indication that she is very much so a modern girl. I suppose, considering this, and that Watashi needs to be led by Akashi (for him to be with her), that the author is saying that we are in a time where it is acceptable for Akashi to lead Watashi. Then again, this makes a rather big assumption that Watashi needs to be led by Akashi for him to get her. Watashi only asks whether Icarus could have ridden the wind if he didn't try so hard, it says nothing about the nature of the outcome if he had simply gone with the flow. Perhaps what they really need to do is ride together, not behind one another, but simply side-by-side.

Interesting take. If that kind of give-take/equality in relationships theme existed in the previous episodes, I didn't see it, so I didn't think about his fantasy of being led by Akashi too much beyond a personal affection for usage of reverse gender roles. Will definitely be interesting if this kind of idea comes up in future episodes.
May 7, 2010 5:33 AM

Nov 2009
This episode was considerably better than the last one. Although it had less comedic elements, I think it gave more to the main storyline by giving insights into Watashi and Akashi's relationship.

Ozu didn't have much influence on Watashi in this ep, now I can be certain that Watashi's self destructive attributes are his own personal characteristics, not something brought on by ozu. Also, was Ozu a fish at the beginning? Wtf?

I felt so bad for Watashi when he hugged his cheap-ass basket-bike "Manamii~". It just shows how hopeless he is lol.

Looking forward to epi 2.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
May 7, 2010 6:00 AM
Jun 2008
(From the moment of despair of hope.Theres a half merman crawl out from the floor!!!)
HAHAHAHAHAH I can't belive they directly rip the expression directly from the Novel,And the Anime is fantastic LOL

I laugh every time when he predict some stupid future.
Can't believe God win the race !!!
1st episdoe 1000yen
2nd episode2000yen
3rd episode 3000yen
It seem the fortune telling is getting more and more expensive but why does he still going to it but this is totally nonsenses since that he doesn't even heed to the fortune telling 's wise word.But in the believing in such nonsense is truly nonsenses.I the end he just follow by his Merman friend as it is a fate rather than a fortune telling.

It seems After repeating 3 episode of his failure.I think he should just listen to his girlfriend.Always when he fail because he doesn't listen to his girlfriend Akashi..
He always work hard in the end because he is desperate during the beginning.But during the beginning he is desperate but not working hard, he strive to aim for the goal yet he doesn't have the able body to reach it.Then why struggle??Shouldn't he just train more, I think he is just not ready for any situation,but when the situation arrive,he just panic and desperately struggle in the eleventh hour.....but i guess his girlfriend Akashi are the reason of his failure because he like her very much..Hmmmm,,,,does that mean that in order to be successful in his life,He should love his merman friend?? I think i gonna vomit!!! LOL..but its very true the his merman friend are the first contact and also the first who give him advise.
His friend always repeat the same sentence " We are friend no matter what,This is our fate "
( I get a feeling the his friend Ozu is jealous of him having girlfriend )
Ok...This maybe be abit odd saying which one to listen or who to heed the advise from?...but actually the god is very kind to him.The god actually gave him 2 chance.At first he took advise from himself and second he took advise from his friend but not Akashi.....
Anyway....I can't wait to see the last episode!!!
And again another failure but this time is much more funnier than the tennis circle.
MorningGloryMay 7, 2010 6:06 AM
May 7, 2010 9:00 AM
May 2010
I watched the episode and here's my take on things. This was after rewatching it:

http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2010/05/the-tatami-galaxy-03-the-theory-of-relativity/

Hope you could read there and comment! Thanks.
May 7, 2010 10:47 AM

Apr 2009
"We are in the free-flying category!"

Best punch line ever!
It was definitely painful final blow. XD

"There's no such thing as a coma. He is surly previewing the afterlife." by
May 7, 2010 2:16 PM
May 2010
teanut said:
This episode was considerably better than the last one. Although it had less comedic elements, I think it gave more to the main storyline by giving insights into Watashi and Akashi's relationship.

Ozu didn't have much influence on Watashi in this ep, now I can be certain that Watashi's self destructive attributes are his own personal characteristics, not something brought on by ozu. Also, was Ozu a fish at the beginning? Wtf?

I felt so bad for Watashi when he hugged his cheap-ass basket-bike "Manamii~". It just shows how hopeless he is lol.

Looking forward to epi 2.

It is something that comes from within but I think, more than self-destruction, that the tragedy of misguided persistence is a better term. Because we would probably note anyone who is afflicted with such bad luck as he is as unfortunate, and anyone akin to him a noble failure.

I'm not saying he did everything right. What I'm saying is that, this time, it was both the failure of his foresight and a series of unfortunate events that did him in. I do understand people's suggestion that he should have ridden with Akashi, that what he should really have done was go with the flow.

But really, in our world today, don't most people persist like Watashi, especially in something they love? They want to bring everything possible for the people they like so that they would have no regrets. Taoism is quite a nice philosophy but it is not a philosophy that must be followed one's entire life.

Talent is what you have; effort is what you give. The creation of success relies in the existence of a lucky combination of both: sadly, it wasn't meant to be in Watashi's case. I just can't get myself to agree with people saying it's self-destructiveness, as it's a very logical response to a problem encountered by people who are more resourceful. Oftentimes it's the self-destructive who stop and just go with the flow: that is what Akashi duly noted - he wasn't a failure, he just did his best and that was precisely why he failed once more.
May 7, 2010 3:50 PM
Dec 2007
I'll never get tired of this concept. Awesome episode that really made the series grew this time, as the usual scenes and characters evolve into something fundamentally different but still equally coherent. I also smell some evolutions in Yuasa's style but I'll probably need to watch the full series to spot exactly what has changed in his direction and writing.

physics223 said:
I watched the episode and here's my take on things. This was after rewatching it:

http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2010/05/the-tatami-galaxy-03-the-theory-of-relativity/

Hope you could read there and comment! Thanks.

Your blog post was really informative, well written (much better than I can write in English at least) and well thought out overall. Keep up the good work and I'll definitely read your next episode analysis of YST at least :)

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 7, 2010 8:49 PM

Jul 2009
Good episode..8 episodes to go, hmm Watashi didn't made a promised with Akashi this time didn't he?
May 8, 2010 12:20 AM

Dec 2009
...the threads for this show make me feel like I'm in a lit class, except I forgot to do the homework... oh well.

One thing that stands out in my mind is how after Watashi bulked up and disqualified himself to pilot Akashi's machine, she told him that he had surpassed her expecations. (I think that's what she said, the dialogue is such a blur...) He got to that point by not listening to Ozu and not listening to her - and I think she respected that.... So maybe he is learning something.
May 8, 2010 1:01 AM
Jun 2008
ilikeyouevenmore said:
she told him that he had surpassed her expecations. (I think that's what she said, the dialogue is such a blur...) He got to that point by not listening to Ozu and not listening to her - and I think she respected that.... So maybe he is learning something.
He Over surpassed her expectation.Its very hard to meet the exact expectation of a girl >.<
May 8, 2010 1:15 AM
May 2010
ilikeyouevenmore said:
...the threads for this show make me feel like I'm in a lit class, except I forgot to do the homework... oh well.

One thing that stands out in my mind is how after Watashi bulked up and disqualified himself to pilot Akashi's machine, she told him that he had surpassed her expecations. (I think that's what she said, the dialogue is such a blur...) He got to that point by not listening to Ozu and not listening to her - and I think she respected that.... So maybe he is learning something.

It was only right that he did not listen to Ozu. What was particularly troubling was that he listened to her too much that it obscured her message. What he did, he did for Akashi. He expected that he was bound to fail with his frail and lanky frame, and so he sought to better himself, and in that sense transcended what Akashi expected of him.

He has indeed learned a lot, valuing effort despite the plethora of difficulties that surrounded him. A little bit of luck, and a more introspective understanding would perhaps made things a lot better for him.
May 8, 2010 6:39 AM

Oct 2008
physics223 said:
It's quite sad that there's no subgroup consistently releasing it except Commie. But such is the price of unique excellence.

I am not happy. :(

The subbing group in this case happens to be the professionals at FUNimation.

As for this episode, I thought that episode two was much funnier and flowed much better than this episode. However I can see how others took to a lot of the symbolism. I've been waiting for this aspect of Yuasa's direction to come through. It appears that metaphors and symbolism will begin to play bigger roles in this series as the time warp continues and Watashi continues to struggle to find happiness during this college life loop. I'm thinking that Watashi will probably figure out that Akashi is interested in him in at least one episode. Maybe this series is a take on Groundhogs Day, and when he finally gets Akashi, he will be able to escape his college experience and move on with his life.

So far episode two was the only episode I've really enjoyed though. I'm gonna ride this one out though to see what Yuasa is planning. It will become annoying if you have to watch each episode frame by frame attempting to decipher the subtitles and their relevance to overall plot. The endless eight loop might also start to get really annoying, as others have mentioned, if they aren't able to keep it fresh like they did in episode 2. Adding the boob wall really seemed out of place in episode three, stuff like that isn't really cohesive, just unnecessary fan service. Hope that isn't a theme they try to tie throughout the rest of this series.
May 8, 2010 9:11 AM
May 2010
Pallid said:
Orion1 said:
Maybe this series is a take on Groundhogs Day, and when he finally gets Akashi, he will be able to escape his college experience and move on with his life.

Well, just supposing Tatami Galaxy were to go in the direction of Groundhog Day, keep in mind that in that movie Phil did seemingly manage to successfully have a romantic day with Rita. Yet the next day repeated again. It was only when Phil made a genuine effort in bettering the lives of everyone around him, rather than working solely towards his own benefit, that he escaped the time loop.

Similarly, I don't think simply "winning" Akashi will solve Watashi's problems. And really, “winning” isn’t even the right word, because that implies Watashi must do something to gain her affections, when in reality she already likes him, warts and all.

Part of the problem is that Watashi seems to have a rigid definition of what “success” and “failure” is. For example, in episode 2, Watashi counts his brief foray into filmmaking a complete loss because his movies are not enthusiastically received by the majority. Never mind that that is how many successful creative minds start out in their careers or that the one person whose opinion should mean the most to him, Akashi, enjoyed the fruit of his effort, however misshapen in form it may have been.

He has a difficult time wrapping his head around the idea that someone like Akashi could possibly accept him just the way he is. Akashi, unlike Watashi, seems to excel in whatever she does, and yet she seems to care little about “success.” This makes Watashi’s efforts to impress her all the more frustrating because they are completely unnecessary.

This is epitomized in the third episode (wonderful commentary, by the way): all Akashi wanted was to see him in the plane despite himself and his failures. What did he do? He continued to chase after success in a misguided effort to please her - he could not accept that she accepts him for who he really is despite himself. And this is his tragedy - effort, no matter how noble, no matter how admirable, when misguided, is still effort ultimately wasted.
May 8, 2010 9:14 AM

Apr 2010
The show is looking great! I have a feeling Watashi is going to keep joining different clubs for the next few episodes until he finds one where he keeps his promise to Akashi and they get closer. That's when we'll learn more about Ozu as he will look for ways to prevent the relationship from escalating and win Akashi over. I have high hopes for the ending.
May 8, 2010 9:30 AM
Jun 2008
ZangetsugaTensho said:
The show is looking great! I have a feeling Watashi is going to keep joining different clubs for the next few episodes until he finds one where he keeps his promise to Akashi and they get closer. That's when we'll learn more about Ozu as he will look for ways to prevent the relationship from escalating and win Akashi over. I have high hopes for the ending.
Ozu is a good friend no matter how Watashi denial it.Since this Anime point of view is from Watashi,Watashi seems to hate Ozu in every turn of event,He even metaphor him as a merman.....I bet Ozu is more handsome than a demon or fox or merman.....
( when I watching this Anime,I felt like I am in Watashi's mind )
May 8, 2010 9:34 AM
May 2010
I seem to think Ozu is the antagonist in this series because he is precisely what Watashi does not desire to become. Watashi does not want to revel in evil and infamy: he simply wants to have a rose-colored college life with a few good women. Ozu is the direct obstacle to his achievement of this, whether he recognizes Ozu's presence (ep 1-2) or not (ep 3).
May 8, 2010 10:05 AM
Jun 2008
Direct Obstacle.....
Well at first I also think that way but if when I think positively,Ozu actually trying to help Watashi.

In this episode Ozu ask people to stole his bicycle,I think it for his own good..but still Watashi still doesn't seems to agree that cycling is not suitable for him.He still struggle against his own fate,and lastly Ozu even stole the plane for Watashi to show that the Plane doesn't need to cycle at all.For the beginning,He warn Watashi not to struggle against his fate .

Actually is very hard to defend for Ozu because of his EVERYTHING,but still I am with Ozu's side ......hope other people may feel the same way. >.>
( I bet all people think Ozu is bad guy anyway.....and even Ozu profile written "Ozu is mischief.
" )
May 8, 2010 11:28 AM

Jun 2009
Well I'll try not to spoil any fun that might still be coming and will not tell anything that happens later in the novel...even though I don't know how far the anime will follow the novel's plot or if it plans to only use it as a basis.

Concerning Ozu, he really is a little pest from Watashi's point of view and therefore from ours. I think the first person perspective from the novel works out quite well for the anime.
When I first read about him in the novel, I actually imagined him to be like the goblin from this episode, even more hideous than his usual appearance in the anime. But I actually liked him from the first moment...he's like this best friend you got, who always get's you into trouble but you just can't part ways with because there's something beyond a 'rosy life' that connects you.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
May 8, 2010 12:54 PM

Apr 2010
MorningGlory said:
ZangetsugaTensho said:
Ozu is a good friend no matter how Watashi denial it.Since this Anime point of view is from Watashi,Watashi seems to hate Ozu in every turn of event,He even metaphor him as a merman.....I bet Ozu is more handsome than a demon or fox or merman.....
( when I watching this Anime,I felt like I am in Watashi's mind )
When I said that Ozu would try to win Akashi over, I wasn't saying that Ozu was Watashi's enemy. Ozu is put here to test Watashi and his values. I believe that Ozu's main job in the show is to try and point Watashi towards the thing he was looking for. He does this by doing things Watashi finds annoying or non beneficial (outside Watashi's sense of normalcy to get him to think differently about things). And since we are watching this through the mind of Watashi, it makes Ozu look much more evil of a person than what reality would otherwise say.
May 8, 2010 6:03 PM
Jun 2008
@ZangetsugaTensho
Does that mean Ozu is like An Angel sent from heaven to give trial to Watashi!!! I think I should change the sentence to "Ozu is sent from Hell as a trial to test Watashi"
Actually I didn't disagree you....the reply is actually an agreement with further detail only....
@Pallid
The "mischief" of Ozu can be see as "Good doing" in another way.But I think I feel like as if I am forcefully squeezing the goodness out of the Ozu in this episode....
At least the result of the moral is similar to Ozu's advise.
"There is no point denial you fate,since you are not suitable to cycle "
May 8, 2010 7:09 PM
May 2010
I have a friend like that. We parted ways, not because we fought, but because I moved.

Anyway, it was only in the third episode that Ozu was totally a hindrance to Watashi, and I agree that he was actually trying to help Watashi in the first episode, and also to some extent in the second. I think there's credence in the idea that Ozu is truly an antagonist to Watashi, not because of his actions, but because he is the opposite of Watashi: he becomes the opposition of Watashi precisely because he is Watashi's opposite, as while what he does is wicked, he also seems to enjoy it for no reason at all.
May 8, 2010 9:38 PM

Oct 2008
@Pallid: You make some very good points and I am a little embarrassed to have forgotten about Phils true accomplishment in making himself a better person. He got the girl, because he himself had changed. Now I'm thinking that Watashi is a little different than that scenario, considering Phil was deeply flawed with conceit, while Watashi is flawed with self loathing and defeatism. In that since, Watashi and Phil are polar opposites. Watashi is basically good but lacks the self confidence and positive outlook to be able to capture his apparent objective. We discover his nature in many of his long narratives and ultimately we see that while he is pointing out problems with society, by focusing on the negative he is himself creating negative energy around himself which continues to lead him to pessimistic failures. I guess the similar elements to Groundhogs Day end with the time looping and moralistic overtones...

physics223 said:
I have a friend like that. We parted ways, not because we fought, but because I moved.

Anyway, it was only in the third episode that Ozu was totally a hindrance to Watashi, and I agree that he was actually trying to help Watashi in the first episode, and also to some extent in the second. I think there's credence in the idea that Ozu is truly an antagonist to Watashi, not because of his actions, but because he is the opposite of Watashi: he becomes the opposition of Watashi precisely because he is Watashi's opposite, as while what he does is wicked, he also seems to enjoy it for no reason at all.

Ah yes the Metaphors are a plenty. I had similar thoughts about Ozu actually representing the little evil angel on one side of his shoulder and the deity of Matrimony character (god of the Shimogamo Shrine, Kamotaketsunuminokami) on the other. However, considering that this is Japanese culture we are dealing with, in this case we have to take into account polytheistic Shinto beliefs. Ozu most likely does represent an evil god of loathing and self despair, while Kamotaketsunuminokami represents happiness through his matchmaking position. Still further if we are to dig deeper into Watashi's psychology then Ozu and Kamotaketsunuminokami, really are probably just examples of Watashi's subconscious and conscious mind conflicting with his inability to make up his mind about which path will make his life more fulfilling. It is a problem that I and probably most people deal with all the time when making decisions. Depending on which decisions we make in life, different outcomes will occur, especially in pivotal moments like college. Ozu definitely seems to represent Watashi's dark side if you will and is always egging him on towards self destructive behavior. The fact that he continues to say that they are tied the same string of fate is another idea that could point towards Watashi's dependency towards his self destructive side. But at the heart of this story in my opinion is Watashi's journey to find himself and his true path to happiness. A journey that all humans must walk, but few actually comprehend. The mystic reader is one of the most fascinating aspects of the series. Here predictions remain constant, while taking on different meanings based upon which choices Watashi makes. Very fascinating show and pretty much what I expected from Yuasa.

That fact that we are having this conversation is enough to make this series worth continuing. However, it still doesn't mean that Yuasa will succeed with this gimmick. It could still ultimately fail to be entertaining and become repetitiously annoying with it's true meaning being left to people like us who have to watch each episode twice, once for entertainment value, twice frame by frame to decipher it's true meaning and then possibly even three times to finally gain some real entertainment value. Or well that's been my regiment for this series thus far. It is a bit tiresome.
Orion1Nov 17, 2010 3:17 AM
May 8, 2010 10:06 PM
May 2010
@Orion1

For the purposes of not having an extremely lengthy post, I have avoided quoting your post. I wrote something new that somewhat mirrors your reply: http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2010/05/from-the-lavender-water-of-an-obsolete-sports-drink/. It's decently convoluted, but it's ultimately related to the series. I think Mr. Yuasa is smart enough not to drown us with boredom, and there's certainly something novel he brings to the table with every series he helms. The series is only eleven episodes, after all, and while intellectually draining (at the same time stimulating) I doubt it will wear out its welcome.

Like you, I actually re-watch each episode at least twice, and it's not becoming a bore to me because it's only 20 minutes, after all. An anime episode is much unlike a novel that re-reading is much more of a chore than re-watching something, no matter how seemingly impenetrable or metaphorical it is. With this mindset I take every re-watch as a challenge to decipher the messages that Mr. Yuasa offers every episode.

I also actually have a relatively lengthy analysis on the episode in contrast to my focused replies in this forum - basically it's the summation of my opinion after a re-watch of the episode: http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2010/05/the-tatami-galaxy-03-the-theory-of-relativity/.

I know I'm often linking my blog but I'd rather have a wall of text there than here, since this is a forum. People thrive on short paragraphs, but it's something to be proud of that the posts in this forum are well-thought of. I have plans of addressing pertinent issues episode-by-episode starting on episode four, where I address concerns through forum posts by people who treasure the metaphors and symbols that pepper this series. The plan is plausible because the lens that we perceive the anime is through a narrator that is highly unreliable: while it is true that there are other palpable existences in the show, it is up for the diligent viewer to decipher what the episodes mean in the context of the show, despite the limited information we possess.
May 9, 2010 12:25 AM

Oct 2008
@physics223
Orion1May 9, 2010 12:31 AM
May 12, 2010 5:38 AM

May 2007
I watched episode 03 just now and it truly is a wonderful experience but is shrouded with way too many questions that I want answered but that will only happen with small revelations in each episode as it reaches its conclusive end in 8 more epsiodes.

Ozu is nothing but someone who brings misfortune to our dear male protagonist and it seems he lost his chance yet again in this episode. Episode 03 was set differently compared to episode 1 and 2, with the iconic moth-on-Akashi's face scene being not present but instead the moth settling on the lightbulb in his room, a reference to Icarus getting too close to the sun and also stating the fact that moths like light and fire. In a sense the moth-on-Akashi's face scene is quite symbolic in that it could mean Akashi-san is the light who could bring happiness and hope to the main character, as well as, being the firey sun that burns him. Hence, why the moth always seems to settle on her forehead.

I do like this series very much but I seriously want more revelation and development in the main character and Akashi-san's growing relationship. I thought the series would become predictable with the first 2 episodes but it changed the formula in episode 03 and judging by episode 04's title, "Disciples Wanted", it might change the formula again.

In 2 days time, I hope to see a subbed episode 04 on TT for me to grab.
May 12, 2010 6:48 AM
Jun 2008
The reason why I said Ozu is a good guy because If you pluck out Ozu from the episode,Do you think the male protagonist will get any better?
( take sometime think and imagine )
I think he won't even meet his girlfriend in the end.
( I think my statement ain't that influential anyway...too lazy to write long explanation >.< ...but I maybe wrong in the end )
MorningGloryMay 12, 2010 7:23 AM
May 12, 2010 1:00 PM

Aug 2008
I feel like I'm liking this show less than I did by the end of episode one and during episode two because everything is just so obvious, and it isn't progressing as fast as I would like for it to. The variation was welcome, but a little confusing, ultimately leading me to believe that all relationships besides Akashi-Watashi-Ozu don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
May 13, 2010 9:49 AM

Dec 2007
I loved this episode.
Show keeps getting better and better.

I will never look at bicycles the same again.
May 13, 2010 12:13 PM

Feb 2009
I felt this episode took a step back, but it was still worthwhile.

As someone who has had their bike stolen, I know Watashi's pain. :(
May 15, 2010 8:15 AM

Nov 2009
ilikeyouevenmore said:

Same feeling here. =) When we compare this to last episode, it was most definitely not as comical. However last episode had high standards. What i fear is that, like others said, there will be no actual change in the episodic nature at all.
May 15, 2010 11:08 AM
Mar 2010
Every ep is pretty much the same? :S
May 16, 2010 3:33 AM

Apr 2008
AT LAST he thought about giving her the toy back. btw - paranoia agent anyone?
i like how watashi is making progress. i don't like such repetitive series usually, but this one makes it. really. one ep one club is good so far. also, are the beginnings (watashi joining the club) shorter and the rest "longer" in the episode time - or is it just me?
...::never knows best::...
May 18, 2010 2:14 AM

May 2008
Another great episode, but I still don't know which side Ozu really belong. I'm looking forward to actually know it~~
May 19, 2010 1:30 AM

Sep 2008
Akashi really has this charm that makes you fall in love with her each episode... well at least for me. I adore how she's so awfully blunt about things; it's quite cute.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2010 1:22 PM

Apr 2008
I'm really glad I picked this show up (dl-ing episode 4 atm) some people would complain about it being episodic but I really don't care if it goes on rewinding itself, each episode is distinct in its own regard and personally they've all given me lots of things to ponder over.
This ep is my favourite so far.
Another thing that needs mentioning is the ED theme .. its simply hypnotic!!!
May 21, 2010 12:22 PM

Jan 2010
Pallid said:

Oh, and the boob wall returns. Win.

wow, ozu is an a**hole, =___= i liked him in the last 2 episodes. oh well, akashi is so cute <3
May 24, 2010 2:36 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
The second half was once again brilliant.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 3, 2010 1:37 PM

Aug 2009
Ha I love the boob wall! Another great episode! I love the structuring for each episode!
Jun 21, 2010 5:48 AM

Oct 2008
I can't see how unlucky his college days were so far but I'm enjoying.
Sums up the bumpy road of success very well. The boundrais created by both the government and people, friends who turn out to be users and enemies.
Jun 22, 2010 2:05 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
This is great! Each episode gets closer and closer to him realizing what he needs to do. Reminds me of Endless Eight >:)
p r o f i l e 👀
Jun 24, 2010 10:44 PM
May 2008
Loving the humor in this series, the most subtle jokes are always the best!
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jun 29, 2010 12:00 PM

Feb 2010
He's definitely making some kind of progress, but it's hard to tell in which direction it'll lead him. Ozu's "I put a lot of effort into enjoying wasting my college years. And you have no right to criticize me on that front." seems important. Watashi will need to learn this lesson ^^.
I probably regret this post by now.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Jun 3, 2010

98 by haydnwright »»
Apr 21, 1:05 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 10, 2010

92 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Apr 12, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 27, 2010

151 by MalcomHater »»
Mar 23, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

born2badored - May 13, 2010

91 by haydnwright »»
Feb 1, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

dbaranyi - Jun 24, 2010

133 by DgenxZ »»
Oct 21, 2023 5:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.