Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 20, 2010 1:33 PM
May 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
this was good but not as funny as the last. It was like that NHK ep about the multi-level marketing schemes.
ozu does look less frightening as a girl, sick
very little akashi...:( also the master not around much, I guess thats why i'm bummed.
May 20, 2010 1:34 PM

Jul 2009
Woah, was that him at the end?

Finally, something happened.
May 20, 2010 5:04 PM

Nov 2007
Softball this time...

tsubasaloverMay 20, 2010 6:29 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 20, 2010 5:37 PM

Dec 2009
not the best episode, but I can't say I didn't like it
May 20, 2010 7:43 PM
Dec 2009
Anyone else realize that when Ozu runs off in woman's clothing, he's heading to the bridge at the end of episode 1? Perhaps in a future episode it'll be revealed why he put them on in the first place.

It seems to me like Ozu has only 1 existence which Watashi has many...
May 20, 2010 9:23 PM

Aug 2008
Best episode so far, but still only 3 out of 5: It was OK...
May 20, 2010 9:49 PM
Jun 2008
Ozu in Yukata ^^ Sexy !!!!
May 21, 2010 6:04 AM

Aug 2009
Ozu in Women's clothing is still creepy as s**t.

That part at the end was weird though but it looks like some plot progression is starting to happen.

Lol, fortune teller's magic hand grabbing him.
May 21, 2010 7:52 AM

Jan 2010
Pretty good episode, but it's a shame Akashi got so little screen time, she's my favorite thing about this show, together wit Ozu.
May 21, 2010 3:12 PM

Aug 2007
Even though it didn't think this episode was as good as the rest so far, I still found it enjoyable. I'm pretty sure this is one of the best shows airing this season.
May 21, 2010 4:59 PM
Dec 2007
Some huge developments in this episode, and it was so stacked with dialogues and new script ideas that I feel like my head will explode. It was a Hell of a ride.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 22, 2010 5:59 AM
May 2010
I can't wait to watch this episode. Although I'm sad there hasn't been much discussion with the previous two episodes, this seems to be a turning point of the show.
May 22, 2010 11:27 AM

May 2008
Nice development at the end~~
May 22, 2010 3:03 PM

Apr 2009
Haha, I was just as freaked out by older Watashi as present day Watashi was. Wasn't expecting it. I thought it was an amusing episode with the Bee company worshippers/sheeps.
May 22, 2010 4:38 PM

Oct 2008
Pallid said:
So we finally get to see some real progress on Watashi's part at the end with his admission that he alone is to blame for his wasted college years (looks like he was trying to barricade the door so his "old" ideas/self wouldn't creep back in right before the credits). Of course, admitting this is only the first step, hence the time rewind.

And with this new realization, it seems as though Watashi's perspective of Ozu may also be changing for the better (Ozu really shined in this episode, and I'm not just talking about that fancy golden wig of his). Better than the last episode, IMO.

Orion1May 22, 2010 4:58 PM
May 22, 2010 5:49 PM
Jun 2008
Orion1 said:
So we finally get to see some real progress on Watashi's part at the end with his admission that he alone is to blame for his wasted college years (looks like he was trying to barricade the door so his "old" ideas/self wouldn't creep back in right before the credits). Of course, admitting this is only the first step, hence the time rewind.

I think next episode will be the same....because he mention "only this time is my fault..."
The only progress i saw is the fortune telling old lady with his ever increasing profit margin....
MorningGloryMay 22, 2010 5:53 PM
May 22, 2010 6:53 PM

Nov 2007
I _thought_ it was him at the end! XD But it happened quickly so I wasn't sure. Also, lolbeard.

I'm glad this is heading somewhere now, it seemed to be floundering a little the last couple of eps.
May 22, 2010 6:54 PM

Jun 2009
This episode came as a surprise for me, because like the cycling club it was almost completely made up off original material, with only some themes reminding me of the novel.
I like it how Ozu's pranks are a little more elaborated upon, but I could see this getting old as this is only episode 5. The ending was cool, especially with '80 days Watashi' entering the apartment at the end.

Well next episode will be interesting as it will center more on Hanuki-san as a character and Watashi's relation to women in general...should be the middle half of chapter 3 from the novel.
It's really interesting how the anime is something new even if you read the novel.
The only thing I'm a little bit undecisive about is wether I like the episodic structure and a new club every episode...it kinda makes you miss out on the quieter parts of the source...but it's interesting.

I'm quite intrigued if the cowboy is going to be the mascot of the English conversation club or actually Johnny...considering he's in the opening I'm placing my bet on the first, so I'm really excited to see Watashi 'alone' with Hanuki.
Novel Spoiler:
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
May 23, 2010 6:31 AM

Dec 2007
Crazy episode as usual but not enough Akashi this time.
May 23, 2010 8:41 AM
May 2010
I've written about eight hundred words but this time it's with a lot of pictures to state a point. This is a really good episode; I think only episode three is better. I've used a lot of pictures to interrelate the different episodes with one another: there is certainly more to this than just an ordinary reset.

Episode Five: http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2010/05/a-picture-entry-yojo-han-shinwa-taikei-05-no-ordinary-reset/
May 23, 2010 11:27 AM

Nov 2009
physics223 said:
I've used a lot of pictures to interrelate the different episodes with one another: there is certainly more to this than just an ordinary reset.

Wow i didn't notice the book or the globe. interesting. At first i wasn't sure that the galaxies were that interconnected other than Watashi, but it does indeed look like they are more so then i believed. I have to say the start was good as usual but i wasn't really into anything that happened proceeding it.
May 23, 2010 9:03 PM
May 2010
The most important part of this episode is that Watashi allows the blame to fall squarely on his shoulders. It is most important for his progression as a character, and it only helped that Ozu acted as a true friend in this episode.
May 24, 2010 6:43 AM
May 2010
I've provided an extended explanation on a hypothesis of a forumer as regards the interconnected continuities of the episodes.

http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2010/05/quarkboys-hypothesis-the-tatami-galaxy-reflects-the-four-and-a-half-tatami-mat/

Agree or disagree? Hate or like? Share everything!
May 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
Let's see. I'll throw a few thoughts out here.

We know that there are 5 mats (well, 4.5, but let's count the square as 1). This is also the number of Mochiguman. This suggests a bijection between the mats and the Mochiguman. The colours of the Mochiguman are orange, green, blue, pink and white. Looking at the cover image, it seems reasonable that the colours correspond to each mat. (Assuming that the right mat is white.) We also see that the moths and Ozu don't really come from any mat but the outside.

Sure enough, the first episode has Akashi in a green dress, while in the memory it is white. Indeed, episode 3 has her with a top that has a touch of pink on it and in that episode the cherry blossom takes symbolic importance. Perhaps it may be the case that the colouring of Akashi (or the surrounding) in each episode is an indication of the corresponding mat.

Edit:

Assuming everything I said above isn't nonsense, if we can associate mats with characters, we should study the meaning of the mats, no? If there is any meaning to them, of course. Relevant Wikipedia page. Is where Ozu is the guest entrance?

Lastly, I'm still not sure if we can infer much from the colours in this image. (Note Higuchi changes to pink in the episode.) Indeed, they're the colour of all of the Mochiguman but there's the girl in black... Maybe it's nonsense to associate the colours with mats/characters.
removed-userMay 24, 2010 4:03 PM
May 24, 2010 6:30 PM

Jun 2009
physics223 said:
I've provided an extended explanation on a hypothesis of a forumer as regards the interconnected continuities of the episodes.

http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2010/05/quarkboys-hypothesis-the-tatami-galaxy-reflects-the-four-and-a-half-tatami-mat/

Agree or disagree? Hate or like? Share everything!

It's really interesting to see how much thought can be put into such details even by viewers. I honestly can't say if I agree or disagree with the concept of the idea...I think there are more than 4 (1/2) universes, but that is held up by something not yet discussed in the anime, so it might be different here.

But to compare the general concept of the series with the Yojouhan is, I think quite good. But you shouldn't only think about the number, but also what a Yojouhan represents.
It doesn't only stand for a 4.5 sized room, but also for something crappy, for living without goals, being caught in a prison-like state. Living in a Yojouhan is quite the polar oposite of a rose-coloured life.

The only bigger thing you can cross out in the post is the final point, the big 大 kanji in the background.
This is part of a pretty important festival in Kyôto, called Gozan no Okuribi and marks the end of O-bon where the souls of the dead return back to the netherworld and are led there by those large fires.
It is a big tourist attraction every year and the 大 on Daimonjiyama is actually the first of 5 kanji shaped bonfires to be lit.

AHR said:
Assuming everything I said above isn't nonsense, if we can associate mats with characters, we should study the meaning of the mats, no? If there is any meaning to them, of course. Relevant Wikipedia page. Is where Ozu is the guest entrance?

I think it's interesting to compare the room to a tea room, especially with rituals like the yami nabe or the Castella eating takes place there and food is always placed in the center...but I don't actually know if one could argue with seating order within a Yojouhan...
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
May 24, 2010 7:39 PM
Jul 2018
seizonsha said:
I think it's interesting to compare the room to a tea room, especially with rituals like the yami nabe or the Castella eating takes place there and food is always placed in the center...but I don't actually know if one could argue with seating order within a Yojouhan...

Let's see, if the Wikipedia image is anything to go off, we should have something like this for episode 1. (Note that a name on the border of them means it shares colours from both mats.)

This is mostly likely wasted time.
removed-userMay 24, 2010 7:47 PM
May 25, 2010 2:50 AM
May 2010
AHR said:
seizonsha said:

Let's see, if the Wikipedia image is anything to go off, we should have something like this for episode 1. (Note that a name on the border of them means it shares colours from both mats.)

Can you try explaining that? A reply in my blog would also help a lot! :)

This is mostly likely wasted time.
Pallid said:
Perhaps not that important but a small tidbit...

Each time Watashi fails at the end the minute hand of the clock moves on the 4 while the hour hand is situated more or less on the 8. The number 4 is considered an unlucky number in Japan because it has the same pronunciation as "death" (in Watashi's case, failure=death). However, the number 8 is considered lucky due to the shape of its kanji character: the two strokes are wider at the bottom, suggesting a better time or better things to come in the future.

I tried pointing it out that the clock resets at a certain day, at 8:20 in the evening. Four is indeed considered unlucky, whether in Japan or China, because of its similarity in pronunciation to 'death.'

Come to think about it, the 'big' ideogram is formed if you crossed the number eight after extending its lines a little bit. This is really far-fetched, but HEY.
May 25, 2010 5:26 AM
Jul 2018
physics223 said:
Can you try explaining that? A reply in my blog would also help a lot! :)

The number of mats (if we count the middle one as one instead of one half) is the same as the number of Mochiguman, yes? Look at this cover image. They're the same colours as the Mochiguman. It's a bit of a stretch, but possibly each Mochiguman could correspond to a mat? If so, can we associate a character with a mat by the dominant colour they're wearing? So the image I posted above tries to capture the colours they're using in episode 1 and if the name is on the border of two mats then they share two colours.

We have to make some very liberal assumptions here, including the yellow of Watashi in episode 5 being like orange, and the grey in the cover image being like white, so it'll probably turn out to be nonsense. Maybe each episode is merely a change of seating arrangement (or universe) and we find that we need just the right configuration of seating.
May 25, 2010 7:23 AM

Jul 2009
Wow so many theories, well i'll leave the complicated stuff to you guys..let say..not enough Akashi this episode..
May 26, 2010 4:23 AM

Nov 2008
This episode really renewed my faith in the show. Looks like it's really going somewhere after all.
May 29, 2010 9:52 AM

Nov 2009
This ep was hilarious. I think I'm starting to adapt to the dry witty humor of this show, which it pulls off incredibly well.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Jun 10, 2010 3:51 PM

Aug 2009
I think they really tried to force Akashi in at the end of the episode. It kinda threw off the whole episode for me. 3/5
Jun 24, 2010 3:38 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Laevantein said:
Wow so many theories, well i'll leave the complicated stuff to you guys..let say..not enough Akashi this episode..
Lol, seriously. I enjoyed reading all your theories, but really, I'm just in it for the crazy ride :D
p r o f i l e 👀
Jul 6, 2010 12:29 PM

Nov 2008
I really like how they use each new situation to focus on one of the side character and to devellop him. It's used wisely unlike some others anime about time loop where the time loops in question don't contribute to the plot and are just shown for the sake of being shown.
Jul 21, 2010 10:06 PM
Jul 2009
Wow some people have really analyzed this show. I thought he was getting farther away from his goal of being with Akashi since time seems to rewind just after he grabs the so called "opportunity" in front of him. He hasn't been anywhere near close to asking Akashi out on a date since the first episode.

I see that I'm probably wrong though since he has admitted his wrongs near the end.

LOL and that was him jumping through his own window?
Nov 14, 2010 8:39 AM

Jun 2009
I'm not really sure where this is going. But, I will say say that if all that is required to solve this "ground hog day" like situation is for him to give the doll to Akashi, that would be kind of lame.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 5, 2011 2:01 AM

Aug 2010
Meh, I tried giving this a chance but this episode bore me to death.
Dropped.
Mar 5, 2011 2:01 AM

Aug 2010
Meh, I tried giving this a chance but this episode bore me to death.
Dropped.
Apr 9, 2011 7:25 PM

Dec 2008
Herbalife comes to mind...
Awesome episode as always. And I really can't get enough of that ending <3
Oct 11, 2011 9:55 AM

May 2010
Not as funny as the others but still had its moments.

The last scene = O_o

And another interesting thing in this ep is that Watashi narrated things about Akashi which happened in the earlier episodes.

And the bees thingy is somewhat a metaphor for marketing these days. :D
Jan 11, 2012 1:25 PM

Apr 2009
What was that at the end? A bearded version of him?
Jun 28, 2012 9:03 PM

May 2010
teanut said:
This ep was hilarious. I think I'm starting to adapt to the dry witty humor of this show, which it pulls off incredibly well.

That scene where they were handing out those candies and it panned around to what they were all telling the customers pretty much had me in stitches. The best jokes are the ones that don't beat you over the head IMO
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 6, 2012 8:22 PM

Apr 2012
Interesting to hear Watashi take responsibility for the fact that his college years have been wasted rather than ask who was to blame or try to pin it all on Ozu.

Also, that ending - I wonder what a bearded version of him showing up there means. I guess we will get to see that having time rewind all these different times has had some unforeseen consequences.
Sep 20, 2012 11:28 AM

Sep 2008
This episode was actually much funnier than the previous one, almost as funny as the first three.

I liked the caption: 'You would think that I lived healthy while eating healthy food, but in reality I was living more and more unhealthy' xD

Also, the scene with the old fortune-teller was different this time. Loved the bee suit LOL

The brain-washing scenes were really well thought-up. Laughed at the 2012 accent.
utsukuruSep 20, 2012 11:38 AM
Oct 23, 2012 7:50 PM
Jan 2012
This episode was a bit boring, but I am not dropping the series yet, mainly because I am love with the art style.
Jan 10, 2013 5:07 PM

Apr 2012
What a completely fantastic,clever, funny, interesting and uniquely brilliant episode. One of the best so far.
Also, who was that bearded man at the end...? I wonder if they'll explain him a bit later one...
Jul 6, 2013 2:35 PM

May 2012
Was that an older him in the end? Well pretty fucked up episode... lets see what's next!
Jul 8, 2013 10:27 PM

Oct 2012
Cults are popular in anime, aren't they?
Jul 19, 2013 11:26 AM

Jul 2009
the episode is really well done :)

i kinda got confused in some parts, like why the hell does he keep wasting his time on this club if he already knows it's not the impression he had the first time he saw it?

though it would be cool to have those girls play ball with you :)

and why buy those pills? seriously are you THAT desperate to meet that woman?

i'm glad they showed that taking these so called "healthy" supplements can lead you to harmful effects.

i'm taking dietician as a major and you only take supplements for those people who can't produce in their system(old people, sick people)

you can use this daily, but only if you eat it with the proper meal.

if you rely solely on this, your pretty much putting yourself at risk for various health problems.

enough of that lecturing back on the show.

i laugh when they showed her only 2 seconds after the speech XD

shame we didn't get to see Akashi other than last minute appearance :(

and i was surprised it was actually him at the end? O__O

i thought it was the honey bee workers searching for him

after seeing some of these theories, i guess i really need to pay more attention in the series.

never knew the series had some extensive symbolism figures ^^

and this is why i love the show :)
Jan 29, 2014 3:07 PM

Jan 2014
This was easily my favourite episode so far. Felt like a parody of Scientology to me, really well done, but tied together a load of plot threads.
It's exciting to see different bits from different episodes linking together, like the crowd chasing Ozu on the bridge being referred to here ( I'm assuming that's the event that breaks his leg?). There's some kind of mad twisting plotline being pieced together between all the timelines and this episode really hammered that home for me.

Really love the cat ramen guy, as soon as I recognised him from Episode 4 I paused and yelled at the screen. I hope we see more of him, it seems he's more involved with the plot (and in cahoots with the Master?) than I guessed.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 10, 2010

92 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Apr 12, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

controlmajortom - May 6, 2010

127 by blinddig »»
Apr 10, 2:32 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 27, 2010

151 by MalcomHater »»
Mar 23, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

born2badored - May 13, 2010

91 by haydnwright »»
Feb 1, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

dbaranyi - Jun 24, 2010

133 by DgenxZ »»
Oct 21, 2023 5:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.