Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 31, 2022 9:58 AM

Oct 2012
It's over. We're still going to have the extra chapters, but it's over. I couldn't believe it when I turned the pages and there was nothing else to see. Can't wait for the freaking extra chapters AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I can't even begin to describe how I feel. This manga has been present in my life for the past 9 years and it means SO MUCH to me. It is and will always be my favorite, it made me fall in love with karuta, it gave me my favorite character of all time - Taichi -, it made me cry and laugh even in my darkest moments!!!! And now it's over.

I must admit that the leaks got to me and so I wasn't surprised by who Chihaya ended up with, BUT BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. I couldn't believe myself. I woke up yesterday and today feeling like it was all a dream. But it wasn't. The things I believed, the signs I saw and all my suffering and tears all these years made something, because...

I really want A KISS and KIDS in the next chapters. I deserve, WE, deserve after all these years. To my fellow winning couple supporters, I give you all my love. We suffered together all this long and we got what we always trusted would happen (even if it was in the deepest parts of our hearts!!). I sound like a politician, omg. But yeah! And Kana-chan watching everything and celebrating just made everything even more better. She was the #1 shipper after all.

There are many things I would like to say, but I can't put in to words properly atm.

I love Chihayafuru and that's all.
Jul 31, 2022 1:51 PM

Jul 2020
The manga has depicted all the emotions of karuta in the most meaningful symbolic way.
The person Chihaya finally looked at was there from the very beginning. That made the most sense... Chihaya finally putting her feelings into words is proof that she's ready for love now.
She's not just a karuta idiot anymore. She learned a lot from everyone.
She especially learned "love", the secret theme of her poem, from the person who walked this path with her and contributed the most to her growth.

Suetsugu said she chose a different route at first but later changed her mind, her opinion was the same from the beginning.

These three, once children, finally achieved their dream after all.

If you can't see that Taichi gave Chihaya the real love, it's your fault, you can see how true love is in Suetsugu's ancient works and most of them are similar to Chihayafuru's.
Jul 31, 2022 4:27 PM
Jun 2019
Its ending, been a journey. All 3 of them achieve their dream.

But congratulation to Taichi and Chihaya, but still they have to do long distance relationships.
Banadjie27Jul 31, 2022 4:31 PM
Jul 31, 2022 6:09 PM

Feb 2011
It's very sad to see my favorite ship sink down without a proper answer to why Chihaya kept Arata hanging like that if she's going to choose Taichi in the end. As a result, it leaves us Chiharata shippers with a broken heart in a thousand folded: I'm very upset about how it turned out. Saying this won't change the ending: it is what it is, this is how the creator wanted to complete the story, and we have to accept it, I have more say but I'll keep the rest of it to myself: at least one group of fans are happy with the ending: no story is perfect because it can't pleased everyone ( the only part I'm glad is that Arata became Meijin accomplishing his dream together with Chihaya.. so bittersweet*sniff ;_; ) At least now the story already has reached its ending.
Jul 31, 2022 6:24 PM
Jul 2018
When will the extra chapters release?
Jul 31, 2022 6:24 PM
Jun 2019
Can I have the link for final chapter
Jul 31, 2022 7:21 PM

Oct 2018
Ahhhhhhhhh I'm so happy. Finally after all these years!!!

All of those debates about theories and signs ahhhh

From MF up until this forum. Thank you everyone for all those years 🙇🏻‍♀️
Jul 31, 2022 8:23 PM
Jun 2019
sweetangie said:
It's very sad to see my favorite ship sink down without a proper answer to why Chihaya kept Arata hanging like that if she's going to choose Taichi in the end. As a result, it leaves us Chiharata shippers with a broken heart in a thousand folded: I'm very upset about how it turned out. Saying this won't change the ending: it is what it is, this is how the creator wanted to complete the story, and we have to accept it, I have more say but I'll keep the rest of it to myself: at least one group of fans are happy with the ending: no story is perfect because it can't pleased everyone ( the only part I'm glad is that Arata became Meijin accomplishing his dream together with Chihaya.. so bittersweet*sniff ;_; ) At least now the story already has reached its ending.

All that matter is Arata become meijin side to side with Chihaya his dream is achieved already with him studying at Tokyo at the same university with Chihaya. While Chihaya confess to Taichi they have to do long distance relationship, but I have no doubt about these 2 feeling and last there will be extra chapter for spinoff
Jul 31, 2022 8:58 PM
Jul 2022
sweetangie said:

There was no development to it. I was rooting for Taichi the whole time but this felt so out of place for her to just confess after no development. The entire story felt like it was set up for Arata and Chihaya to end up together and it did a 180 at the end. It seems like sensei decided to abandon what she originally planned and went for pleasing the more popular ship. Oh well. Hopefully the side stories that are dropping with volume 50 make it better
Jul 31, 2022 10:11 PM

Feb 2011
@myboringlife I still don't understand how the creator decided to drop the development she had been working on for years and suddenly drop into nothingness in just one chapter ( the final chapter nonetheless) the ending still doesn't add up, what really disappointed us Chiharata shippers is the lack of concluding the story without a proper answer of this outcome after all those signs of waiting. It made it so easy for Chihaya to forget about giving Arata an honest answer about his love confession after that long wait ( how she feels about him), the creator could have adapted the story a little longer about the romance topic, so Chihaya can have a private talk with Arata about why she can't accept his feelings, he deserves an honest response from Chihaya herself: all those signs we had been seeing between them throughout the entire story, all of it gone just like that without any development of explanation the outcome:( Chihaya could have opened her heart to Arata with an honest answer before she goes and tells Taichi how she felt. Even as we speak, I still feel very awkward about the ending: I truly believed in the creator's storytelling was accurate and true ( staying true to the main story's theme): but a huge waste of meaningful development just gets tossed away like that. Thank you again for replying to my comment, it's good to know we Arata fans aren't alone.

@Banadjie27 That's the only part that's good from the ending of Chihayafuru in my opinion ( Chihaya and Arata achieving their dreams together): Now that would be a good idea for a sequel in their lives in University, but I doubt the creator will adapt it after the ending of the manga: hopefully, the spinoff will ease the pain for us fans.
sweetangieJul 31, 2022 11:09 PM
Jul 31, 2022 10:33 PM
Feb 2016
Guess it's all over. I was chihaya x arata lol. I enjoyed the manga but I stopped reading awhile ago when the romance overshadowed everything else because every chapter that's all people would talk about. Just came back to post because it's over.
Aug 1, 2022 4:10 AM

Oct 2020
Ships apart i didnt like how this last chapter was done, i will reread it for sure and get my feelings sorted. Its a shame i have to mention this but its not about ships or who won
Aug 1, 2022 5:19 AM
Hello World!:))

Oct 2015
To my endless sadness, my ship has sunk:( I can't understand why people like Taichi so much. After the forced kiss I've lost all respect for the guy.

Anyway, a really, really, really good sports' manga. So many memories and so many smiles accompanying them. Something ends, somethings begins, I hope:)
"I'll be done soon. If you wait nicely, I'll buy you some sweetbread." said Lawrence.

- I'll thank you not to treat me like a child.

"Oh, you don't want any?"

- I do.

Aug 1, 2022 5:53 AM
Jun 2019
WanderingRonin said:
To my endless sadness, my ship has sunk:( I can't understand why people like Taichi so much. After the forced kiss I've lost all respect for the guy.

Anyway, a really, really, really good sports' manga. So many memories and so many smiles accompanying them. Something ends, somethings begins, I hope:)

The same reason why some people dont like Arata, they just cant understand like you do about him.
Aug 1, 2022 9:31 AM
Mar 2020
I'm not sure what the general consensus in on this topic, but as the series commenced, I felt like neither ships made any sense. It felt like the author kept the romantic tension for the sake of it, and there's barely any character interactions/ development when it comes to the romance department to make any potential coupling justified. I'm not sure when, but at some point, I stopped caring about "who ends up with who", as it felt like all three of them developed in such a way throughout the course of the series that neither pair made any sense.

SPOILER

+ Not to mention the manner in which Chihaya responded to their initial confessions. Regardless, I'd be interested how the author would handle the relationship of the trio going forward, but too bad this is the last chapter.
Aug 1, 2022 10:20 AM

Oct 2012
Luffyskywa1ker said:
Guess it's all over. I was chihaya x arata lol. I enjoyed the manga but I stopped reading awhile ago when the romance overshadowed everything else because every chapter that's all people would talk about. Just came back to post because it's over.

Getting away from fandoms can be best sometimes (most of the times, really). I stopped making chapter posts here on MAL for a while because whenever I gave my Taichihaya-related interpretations for a chapter, I would be low-key bullied by the Chiharata fans lol So I decided to stay in comfy places for Taichihaya fans and even then I did not went to those that much because I could feel that sometimes the urge for romance was too heavy even when a chapter was just about karuta.

I hope you give this manga another chance! Suetsugu did so much for the karuta world with this manga. She tells a story about finding passion in your life and following your dreams, there's love too ofc, but most of it is friendship and emotional moments.
Aug 1, 2022 10:33 AM

Jul 2020
We love Taichi because we witness his fears that he's like a real person, confronting himself, his self-loathing throughout the manga...Many people hate themselves and cling to past mistakes, Taichi is one of the most relatable character in the series. The only thing you can relate to Arata's character is his relationship with his grandfather, Arata doesn't have any personal issues other than his granpa relationship.

Taichi is depressed throughout the manga and really struggles with his difficulties, impsrfects...but Arata just jumps over the obstacles and he's just so perfect woaaah. That's why we don't like him his char development is just so poor.
I always asked why do you like such a poorly written character so much?
Aug 1, 2022 10:39 AM

Jul 2020
Other than that, I don't see anyone talking about the undermining of Chihaya's character. Even though she was a great character, she could've gotten better with a great development but this love triangle turned into her development into sh**.
Aug 1, 2022 11:28 AM
May 2020
I have never posted a single time in these discussions, but i feel like i have to after this massive disappointment. Chihayafuru has been my favorite manga for some time now and to see it end like this is just :/
I'm not even against Taichi if he has been built up to be endgame since the beginning, but he hasn't. Arata started Chihaya's whole journey of Karuta, Arata gave Chihaya her dream of becoming Queen, and Chihaya kept playing Karuta because as Arata said "As long as we keep playing, we'll meet again". What was the whole Taichi rejection arc for if she's just gonna take back her word?? And when Arata confessed, her reaction was different and Kana even compared it to how her mom looked like when she was pregnant. It just seemed like this isn't what the whole story was building up for. Came completely out of nowhere after the author seemingly already concluded Taichi's arc and you even have him saying he's beginning to move on from Chihaya.

99% of the manga is still a masterpiece though
Aug 1, 2022 12:44 PM
Nov 2017
Finally, it is finished! I can't help but shed a tear! It's been 15 years already! Wow! It's been that long huh? The dedication of the author is just amazing.

I read this, on and off, when I was a freshman in college 14 years ago, now, I'm a 31 year old man and have a family of my own, I still get the chills and butterflies from this. What a masterpiece. It's been a roller coaster of emotions all throughout.

I was hoping for a different ending tho. But, that doesn't matter, what matters is that it ended, with a period. Not many Japanese authors could finish their work, due to many factors, as you all surely know what happens to them. I'm just glad that the anime God protected sensei all those years so that the three of them could get what they wanted the most, and Chihaya won big-time, I'm happy for them honestly.

For my boy Taichi, man, I really do hope for the best for him, I'm not sure if Chihaya is worth it tho, after all those years of suffering, as readers, we all know what Chihaya was like, that at some point some of us started to hate her, ( the author really got us good! She is a really good writer, I give her that.) I guess, now, Chihaya is starting to fully understand what she really wants and I'm glad she's starting to grow maturely and I hope she continues that way, for all our sake!

Boy, my man Taichi, dang, he's just built different, I guess that's what makes him unique and very relatable, it's his charm.

Honestly tho, this whole show/manga wouldn't be a success, without Taichi, because, through his POV, we really felt it all, the rollercoaster of emotions, and even though it was planned that he would just be a secondary character, we obviously cannot deny it, that sometimes we feel he really is the main protagonist of the whole show! Making Arata and Chihaya the supporting actors. It's like this was made for him.

All in all, it was fantastic! I hope author would add some time skips on those last few pages. Thank you so much!
Aug 1, 2022 12:54 PM

Apr 2019
Oh what a wonderful ending. This series will always hold a special place in my heart.

Aug 1, 2022 2:40 PM
Jul 2022
Avie_Alice said:
I have never posted a single time in these discussions, but i feel like i have to after this massive disappointment. Chihayafuru has been my favorite manga for some time now and to see it end like this is just :/
I'm not even against Taichi if he has been built up to be endgame since the beginning, but he hasn't. Arata started Chihaya's whole journey of Karuta, Arata gave Chihaya her dream of becoming Queen, and Chihaya kept playing Karuta because as Arata said "As long as we keep playing, we'll meet again". What was the whole Taichi rejection arc for if she's just gonna take back her word?? And when Arata confessed, her reaction was different and Kana even compared it to how her mom looked like when she was pregnant. It just seemed like this isn't what the whole story was building up for. Came completely out of nowhere after the author seemingly already concluded Taichi's arc and you even have him saying he's beginning to move on from Chihaya.

99% of the manga is still a masterpiece though

DoomSlayer078 said:
I'm not sure what the general consensus in on this topic, but as the series commenced, I felt like neither ships made any sense. It felt like the author kept the romantic tension for the sake of it, and there's barely any character interactions/ development when it comes to the romance department to make any potential coupling justified. I'm not sure when, but at some point, I stopped caring about "who ends up with who", as it felt like all three of them developed in such a way throughout the course of the series that neither pair made any sense.

SPOILER

+ Not to mention the manner in which Chihaya responded to their initial confessions. Regardless, I'd be interested how the author would handle the relationship of the trio going forward, but too bad this is the last chapter.

I agree with this 100% and I'm a taichihaya fan. I was convinced we were getting a friendship ending, the romance has never been the focus of the story and this felt out of place. This is an unpopular opinion, but Taichi deserves better than Chihaya she never expressed interest in him other than a friend the whole series until she does a 180 in this chapter. The love triangle should have never existed tbh it made Chihaya's character development not the best and it made me hate her at times. With Taichi going to Kyoto and Arata/Chihaya going to Tokyo why even bother paring them up. Long distance is hard enough in the real world with older adults and these characters are young, I don't think it would last regardless if it was Taichi/Arata who was picked. Youth is about exploring the world and she's just starting that journey, it would have made sense for Chihaya to be single and free during this time not tied to a long-distance relationship that realistically won't work out.
Aug 1, 2022 4:18 PM

Oct 2017
I'm crying man, I'm fucking crying. Taichi x Chihaya, so happy.
Aug 1, 2022 7:34 PM

Jul 2021
Can't believe it's over now, I will now just
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Aug 1, 2022 8:20 PM
Aug 2018
It's like dream come true moment
Thank you so much for this wonderful manga ❤
Aug 1, 2022 11:38 PM

Jul 2014
Can anyone hit me up on the DMs where y’all be reading this?

Will delete this post later.
Aug 2, 2022 3:41 AM

Jan 2021
Finished a few hours ago and it left me with happiness, I'm very glad some more spin off chapters are coming as well but this ending was everything and a massive 10 OUT OF 10
because of TaichiHaya becoming canon, that was all I wanted but I do feel so bad for Kanade, she is my favourite character for being so supportive despite her own feelings and I really do hope sensei gives her a path to happiness because she is best girl.

Aug 2, 2022 5:24 AM
Jun 2019
TheBasedMaki said:
Can anyone hit me up on the DMs where y’all be reading this?

Will delete this post later.

Bought it as a support for sensei
Aug 2, 2022 5:59 AM
Oct 2021
I love both Arata and Taichi and hope they can both be happy, though I think this ending is the best result I could imagine for them...

I'm very happy for Taichi that he can finally stop suffering all through the years for his mistake hiding Arata's glasses when they were 12 (I think that's the main reason of why he couldn't reveal his feelings to Chihaya much earlier- he felt himself 'lesser' than Arata and left behind by the two) While Arata still has Karuta, as long as he keeps playing Karuta he can always have a deep connection with Chihaya.

Anyway as Arata said, even though Chihaya stays with Taichi when they are 18, that doesn't mean she wouldn't possibly stay with Arata when they are 28. So the future is still unknown for me.
No matter what, I wish them all happiness.

P.S. I had tears in my eyes when seeing Chihaya's sister waiting at the station for witnessing her baby sister to win the title of 'World's best'. Feeling of déjà vu for chapter 1, Chihaya waiting in the early morning in rain for getting the newspaper with a photo that her sister appears in the background. Beautiful.
iliaoiAug 5, 2022 1:09 AM
Aug 2, 2022 8:08 AM

Jul 2019
Ok but where have y'all read the final chapter? Where? I need to know!

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 2, 2022 8:36 AM

Dec 2020
The confession scene came a little too abruptly I think. It would have been great if there are a few more chapters more to build this up but it is what it is.

Hopefully the extra chapters will fill the remaining gaps in the story.

Nonetheless, thank you Suetsugu sensei, thank you Chihayafuru for such a wonderful story :")
firemint149Aug 2, 2022 8:40 AM
Aug 2, 2022 10:20 AM

Mar 2013
I only follow anime but I was very engaged with the shipping. So getting to know this outcome, I feel terribly sad my ship sunk.
Must feel better to be on the side of the winning guy, eh? *Sigh* I wish author didn't drag the conclusion on romance till the end, keeping both sides of shipping parties on the edge lol. Welp, I hope I get over it soon. Don't feel like watching anime if it'll get sequel tho, heh.
Aug 2, 2022 11:27 AM
Jul 2021
sweetangie said:

In my heart, Wataya Araya will always reign as King, and he deserves more than Chihaya, who disregarded his real love.
Aug 2, 2022 11:40 AM
Jul 2021
kakeguruitwinxx said:
Chihayafuru isn't about who she dates. Her dating Taichi doesn't "drop the development" of the story. I'm pretty sure the extra chapters would include Chihaya and Taichi/Arata, and Chihaya and Mizusawa, and probably last chapter Chihaya and Shinobu. At least the way I see it, her dating someone isn't the conclusion of the story but rather, the epilogue. And what she said when she answered Arata: "this is my answer to your confession, or rather, how I feel right now. I want to be Queen.". As long as she's concerned that's already an answer in itself. And Chihaya canonically forgot Arata's confession for a good half a year. It's not like she excessively thinks of Arata during the break either. Even when she "rejected" Taichi, she said "sorry", but didn't specify what sorry. Taichi took it as a rejection, but she apparently didn't see it as a rejection. Anyways, it's not like the only way she could reject Arata is: "I'm sorry I don't like you", straightforwardly. At least to me, Suetsugu wasn't trying to please "one group of fans". Someone trying to please one group of fans won't go all the way to have a countdown for the last week, trying to prevent raws and all, asking people not to give spoilers for two weeks so people have time to read. Please don't disrespect her 15 years writing Chihaya's journey to be Queen just because Chihaya dates someone in the end. Though I'd say it would've been nice if she included how Chihaya came to think about liking Taichi (and not liking Arata romantically). Well, the poem monologue too. And about Shinobu too.

Might add: everytime a media ends there're always people saying things like "The ending was to please xxx fans" "the author was pressured by international fans" "The domestic fans did not like the other route". There are actual cases like this, and mostly they are very popular media, and in shounen manga especially because they're mostly weekly. Naruto is an example. Supposed to end at Chuunin Exams, then Akatsuki, then Madara... and suddenly Kaguya. If I remember correctly Kishimoto said in an interview that he was surprised Sakura wasn't liked by many, because he wrote her thinking it's the type of characters people like. Jump staffs actually asked for Kishimoto to continue and write Boruto himself, but Kishimoto recommended his assistant instead. It's different with One Piece: the series in itself is long but not dragging. It was made to be a long series, and not a short series trying to be long. Chihayafuru ended at a good length, probably +- 5 chapters would be acceptable but still at a decent length. There are other series: Shokugeki no Soma's last arc was made to make Souma realize his feelings, but in the end Souma and Erina dating did not fit the storyboard so they did not explicitly show how they dated in the end. If in the next extra chapter Taichi and Chihaya were to break up due to LDR, and Chihaya going back to Arata, would it make the people who say the ending is dropping the plot say that the series re-peak? Actually, scratch that. I think Chihaya's romance isn't an epilogue, but a side afterstory. To me it really doesn't matter who she dates in the end. Well it adds some cute fluff, but it doesn't drop the whole series meaning. What would actually drop the development is if Chihaya didn't win the Queen title, which she didn't. So yeah, you're free to dislike, as long as it's not straight up entitled. In the end it's Suetsugu's works she presented in her way. Taking away her credits because a ship didn't sail and say it's due to pressure or to cater leaves a bad taste on my mouth, at least that's what I think.

The author, Yuki Suetsugu, is to fault for the abrupt finale since she has showed no consideration for the opposite half of the fanbase, which has stood behind Wataya Arata from the beginning.
Most of you will find my viewpoint offensive, but the truth cannot be disputed since, if you watched the program carefully, you all know that Taichi was always envious of Wataya Arata and that Arata always took care of Taichi's feelings for Chihaya. No matter who Chihaya ends up with, Wataya Arata will always be the King of this show. Even though he is a fictitious character, I have the utmost respect for him.
Aug 2, 2022 12:04 PM
Oct 2021
Animexcode said:
In my heart, Wataya Araya will always reign as King, and he deserves more than Chihaya, who disregarded his real love.

I agree that Suetsugu sensei dealt with the relationship between Chihaya and Arata too roughly in the end. They didn't even have a decent talk. Chihaya shouldn't have been a person being so inconsiderate to one of her most important friends... Such a shame :(
Aug 2, 2022 12:25 PM
Jul 2021
kakeguruitwinxx said:
Well, you're free to like Arata. It's not like Suetsugu wrote the finale because she hates Arata. "Showed no consideration for the opposite half of the fanbase". But your entitlement is certainly not in your place. It is not your craft. It is Suetsugu's piece of craft, it wasn't specifically made for you, or for me, or for anyone.

My entitlement is definitely in its proper position, and btw, who is she writing the manga for? Each fan has the right to criticize if she is only writing for her own amusement or for the other side of the fanbase, and without a doubt, I have the utmost admiration for the effort she has put out over the past 15 years, but the success of a masterpiece is determined by its conclusion rather than by how much time and effort was invested in it.
Aug 2, 2022 2:22 PM
Apr 2019
It is finally over.
Karuta is a wonderful game and I am grateful to Suetsugu sensei for introducing it to me.
I love Arata and I'm sure he will find a woman equal to him, who will make him happy and who will cultivate his passion for Karuta.
I wish Chihaya a lot of fun at dinners in the Japanese high society that Taichi's family attends; that is the world that she has chosen and that is made especially for her...
I hope the spin off aren't about Arata; he has not been chosen and it is good that he goes his own way without thinking about Chihaya anymore.
For me this romantic choice is unnatural and senseless, but that's okay. In Italy, Chihaya is called "the useless beauty". Exactly.
Sorry my english.
Ciao.
Aug 2, 2022 5:19 PM

Feb 2011
Animexcode said:
sweetangie said:

I really wish Arata would of be treated with more respect: at least for Chihaya to give him an honest response coming from her heart after his long wait for her answer: he deserves that much, not the way how it turned out: it's inhuman on Chihaya's part just to talk about her dating Taichi without a single word from her behave: not even " I'm sorry nor a thank you" for his genuine feelings he has for her. We all know Chihaya has the right to choose any guy she wants to date but what she did to Arata giving him that awful way of rejection without an answer is the worst thing I ever saw throughout this entire story: waiting until the final chapter yet the last pages of the very last chapter to see this outcome: Suetsugu-sensei really give Arata the "too bad, the end" treatment which she didn't show any respect nor sympathy for our fans. I wished Chihaya would have been more open to Arata and told him her honest feelings directly from her heart: just like what Arata did for her. I guess we will never get to see that: this is the end of Chihayafuru: no more.

Now we must part ways with our abandoned ship that sink without warning: but I'll always remember how much I love this ship that I wish it would reach its destination and hold the cherished memories I felt while reading the story that is now bittersweet.
Aug 2, 2022 6:58 PM

Mar 2011
I'm honestly rooting for Taichi but after the first confession I pretty much gave up with the pairing and just wanted all of em to stay single so I was surprised with how the two ended up together I mean its so obvious Chihaya likes Arata....the girl pursue karuta because of him and she always wanted to see him then this happen? lol author definitely got forced to do that ending

Guessed we can just think of it that long distance relationship will never win XD
ricardo241Aug 2, 2022 7:03 PM

Aug 2, 2022 9:12 PM
Aug 2022
Hello, pleaseeee does anyone have a link of this chapter? I am gonna die hereee
Aug 2, 2022 11:23 PM
Sep 2020
I wonder why many people deliberately ignore her longing for taichi after chapter 138? Where was there any hint after that chapter that she was playing karuta JUST because of arata? there were quite a few scenes where she thought more about taichi than about arata. many interpreted the parallel scenes in their favor, her tears for his win against arata were simply ignored, although it was a big signal that the girl wasn't rooting for the guy she "loves". her reaction to taichi's fading feelings, her wins dedicated to him, her longing. the first thing she remembered when she saw him at the match was his words about fading feelings. if sensei was forced to make such an ending, then she would have chosen a friendship one. we saw taichi lose by 18 cards and that didn't stop Sensei from giving him such a big loss, so there is no question of a forced ending. the girl just has grown up.
AdoraLinnAug 2, 2022 11:30 PM
Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.
Aug 3, 2022 1:56 AM
Apr 2019
Respect for Suetsugu sensei: "Chihayafuru" is her own creation and it is okay for her to write what she wants.
I have always experienced "Chihayafuru" as a story immersed in real life; it is not "Saint Seiya" nor "Vanitas" but rather the story of a girl who goes to high school and loves Karuta. Well, anyone who has some experience with anime and manga about Japanese real life knows that Taichi's family - and Taichi himself - has a lifestyle that is out of Chihaya's character range. Chihaya does not know how to behave, is unfeminine, loud, and loves Karuta in a powerful and aggressive way.
Taichi's future is to pursue a medical career, with all that that entails. I just can't imagine Chihaya dressed up doing the honors for her husband's high-ranking acquaintances and attending parties and gala dinners; no, no... I just can't imagine her. Sumire would have been the best choice for Taichi.
Rather, after meeting the professional Karuta player who goes around to tournaments taking her husband and children with her, nursing her own child between breaks, I was "enlightened": perfect, that's what Arata and Chihaya's life will be like: out playing Karuta with family in tow.
That was Chihaya's life: a life for Karuta next to the man who most understands and loves her.
But instead, no! Why? It was just a strange ending, with a romantic choice that made absolutely no sense.
Taichi will go far away, to Kyoto - surely to Kyodai - and Chiahaya and Arata to Tokyo. I at least hope that Arata never meets Chihaya again because that would be really sad and insulting to him and I also hope that between parties and "and lunches at the sporting club" (Chihaya cannot think that she will be able to go play in Karuta leaving her doctor husband at the mercy of dinners and high parties) Chihaya never meets Arata again. I wish for Chihaya to totally disappear from Arata's life.
This is what I think: real-life story with real-life implications. And that's because the ending doesn't make sense: it's not applicable for what the characters of the main characters are. But hey, that's okay!
I'm looking forward to reading the spin offs that I hope set 10 years from now: Arata still a Meijin with a happy family beside him, and Chihaya untamed to be a good doctor's wife.
Excuse my English.
Ciao.

Aug 3, 2022 2:34 AM

Dec 2020
beyan said:
Respect for Suetsugu sensei: "Chihayafuru" is her own creation and it is okay for her to write what she wants.
I have always experienced "Chihayafuru" as a story immersed in real life; it is not "Saint Seiya" nor "Vanitas" but rather the story of a girl who goes to high school and loves Karuta. Well, anyone who has some experience with anime and manga about Japanese real life knows that Taichi's family - and Taichi himself - has a lifestyle that is out of Chihaya's character range. Chihaya does not know how to behave, is unfeminine, loud, and loves Karuta in a powerful and aggressive way.
Taichi's future is to pursue a medical career, with all that that entails. I just can't imagine Chihaya dressed up doing the honors for her husband's high-ranking acquaintances and attending parties and gala dinners; no, no... I just can't imagine her. Sumire would have been the best choice for Taichi.
Rather, after meeting the professional Karuta player who goes around to tournaments taking her husband and children with her, nursing her own child between breaks, I was "enlightened": perfect, that's what Arata and Chihaya's life will be like: out playing Karuta with family in tow.
That was Chihaya's life: a life for Karuta next to the man who most understands and loves her.
But instead, no! Why? It was just a strange ending, with a romantic choice that made absolutely no sense.
Taichi will go far away, to Kyoto - surely to Kyodai - and Chiahaya and Arata to Tokyo. I at least hope that Arata never meets Chihaya again because that would be really sad and insulting to him and I also hope that between parties and "and lunches at the sporting club" (Chihaya cannot think that she will be able to go play in Karuta leaving her doctor husband at the mercy of dinners and high parties) Chihaya never meets Arata again. I wish for Chihaya to totally disappear from Arata's life.
This is what I think: real-life story with real-life implications. And that's because the ending doesn't make sense: it's not applicable for what the characters of the main characters are. But hey, that's okay!
I'm looking forward to reading the spin offs that I hope set 10 years from now: Arata still a Meijin with a happy family beside him, and Chihaya untamed to be a good doctor's wife.
Excuse my English.
Ciao.

I think you have to realise that they are 18 and it may be tough for them to see so far into the future. The publication ends here but their love triangle relationship is just at the starting phase which we will not see more of unfortunately as the main part of Chihayafuru was always about Chihaya's road to becoming the queen. And we have already reached the end of that goal.
Aug 3, 2022 4:55 AM

Mar 2012
That was a beautiful ending to a fantastic manga. Chihaya's confession and Kana's reaction were very satisfying moments. I had sensed that Chihaya was realizing feelings for Taichi for quite some time and always felt that her admiration for Arata was primarily idolization, so this was a natural ending imo. Suetsugu achieved a remarkably long run with a graceful and rewarding conclusion, which is all too rare and definitely praiseworthy. I can't wait for the extra chapters.

While I've seen several comments suggest that this is only the beginning of the romantic entanglements between Taichi, Chihaya, and Arata now that there's some temporary distance between Taichi and Chihaya, that isn't intimated by the ending at all. If Suetsugu wanted an ending that implied some romantic hope for Arata, she would have written an open ending or an Arata one. With the definitive Taichi ending chosen, it's a guarantee that if ever there's a five or ten year time-skip special, Taichi and Chihaya will be engaged or married, possibly with children in tow. Creating an ending that solidifies a relationship after a very long story, only to then pull the rug out and switch to someone else in the future, is simply bad writing and would never be entertained by Suetsugu.
Aug 3, 2022 5:28 AM
Jul 2021
sweetangie said:
Animexcode said:

I really wish Arata would of be treated with more respect: at least for Chihaya to give him an honest response coming from her heart after his long wait for her answer: he deserves that much, not the way how it turned out: it's inhuman on Chihaya's part just to talk about her dating Taichi without a single word from her behave: not even " I'm sorry nor a thank you" for his genuine feelings he has for her. We all know Chihaya has the right to choose any guy she wants to date but what she did to Arata giving him that awful way of rejection without an answer is the worst thing I ever saw throughout this entire story: waiting until the final chapter yet the last pages of the very last chapter to see this outcome: Suetsugu-sensei really give Arata the "too bad, the end" treatment which she didn't show any respect nor sympathy for our fans. I wished Chihaya would have been more open to Arata and told him her honest feelings directly from her heart: just like what Arata did for her. I guess we will never get to see that: this is the end of Chihayafuru: no more.

Now we must part ways with our abandoned ship that sink without warning: but I'll always remember how much I love this ship that I wish it would reach its destination and hold the cherished memories I felt while reading the story that is now bittersweet.

Your words have warmed my heart even more, and I still can't believe what transpired in front of Wataya Arata's entire fan base, who was rooting for him. However, one thing is clear to me now: no matter how kind and humble you are, you will be the one to be duped, as this cruel and cursed world has always ruined and damaged the heart of the pure.
In the end, all you have to do to keep your heart healthy is work toward freedom and solidarity and carry on.
Aug 3, 2022 7:31 AM
Dec 2020
WanderingRonin said:

do you remember chihaya won taichi's birthday competition and it had an reward
Aug 3, 2022 8:01 AM
Mar 2015
Not a bad end for Taichi whom Suetsugu originally saw as a side character
Aug 3, 2022 8:41 AM

Oct 2012
@landofthekwt, Land kun, we both know Taichi never was a side character. That was a big feint on Suetsugu san's part.

I understand some fans are disappointed cause if I had been in their shoes, I would have been too. The love triangle was played very tight.
P

From the challengers on there were more and more very serious hints to were Chihaya's heart lay: rooting for Taichi, the Chiha take, being upset about his fading feelings, seeing him at the shrine, a sacred place and being upset of not getting a message from him, the Mi call calling up Taichi, Taichi's shrine vision, the Tare(Taichi) take that made her win her first match, chap 234 when he arrives...the *he has always been here*....win on a beautiful crazy poem like Tsuku (13) with Taichi right behind her (if you know more about this poem you will understand the Tsuku, stick together, the two paired peaks, anyway, read and understand) the love that accumulated!

Then chap 246 the paired cards, Chihaya's inner declaration....really the lead to this all was very carefully built up...even details like Chihaya hiding behind the little window looking at the boys: the clock !!! 13:40, the Tsuku poem and Shinobederu poem of hiding ones love.. the Tare scene with Taichi dropping his phone with the Shinkasen names: hope and light....there are tons of these plus the poems.

She magestically used the Su poem for Taichi and Chihaya starting when Kana is explaining the poem to Chihaya with Taichi and Komano listening and Chihaya saying it's romantic, lol....being used by Taichi to push Chihaya for her dream...Su = dream... Meeting in one's dream.... Sensei even wrote something about Su and how meeting in one's dream is the most romantic thing ever, and then they get mutual visions of eachother.....

There is so much building up to this....I'm just randomly spilling some of the stuff. Chihaya had to learn, study, mature to come to this point and that is exactly what happened.

I'll come back with a comment when the scan comes out because it seems it's beautiful and there are many emotional moments, not only Chihaya's confession....there is so much more to this story than the romance...

Arata got a great ending. He had tons of panel time this last year and he won the title and made peace with the mourning for his grandfather, he found friends, teammates and that last panel with them all playing as a team is a dream come true for him.

Yes, well Chihaya didn't choose him as her closest person. But she will always love him as a dear friend nonetheless.

When Taichi lost the challenger, they became two and one

Two and one in Karuta

But something happened there

They also became two and one in Chihaya's heart. I think this is where her heart was definitely sure which boy was *the closest*. Seen how serious Sensei takes the Hyankunin Isshu and the references to Taichi and Chihaya's poems in chap 246 and in this last chapter, they definitely were destined to be and stay together, like the paired poems side by side for a 1000 years. It's a mind blow cause she probably had it all planned out from the start.

I think Sensei deserves congrats for this final. It's not an easy shoujo story, you have to look deeper and find the connections.

Waiting for the scan!!!
chiakimagotoOct 2, 2022 12:41 AM
Aug 3, 2022 9:23 AM
Mar 2015
chiaki I believe what Sensiei said since Rumiko Takahashi wrote something similar after finishing Inuyasha Takahashi wrote that Sesshoumaru refused to allow her to make him a side character and forced his way into main character status. This is exactly what Tachi did He refused to put into side character mode and forced her to treat him as a main character
Aug 3, 2022 10:05 AM
Jun 2019
Lmao so many people hating sensei due to their own negligence reading the story properly.
Arata's dream in the first place is to become meijin and achieved that while Taichi wanted to be the closest one to Chihaya. Both boys fulfilled what they wished for.
This is the perfect ending.

And to reader whose said the story is forced etc, sensei has laid romance development for both boys till the end, theres no such thing as forced romance in this manga it just some fanbase chose to ignore it and kept with their own dillusional view of their romance then later blame sensei because it didnt goes as what they wanted or expecting it.

And lastly Chihaya is not a prize, she is free to chose the boy she loves

And lastly no, its not an open ending romance lmao.

If you read the raw you could see that Chihaya seek to study in the same university with Taichi (Tokyo U) but really disappointed when she realize Taichi choose Kyoto U instead.

I have my opinion regarding why Chihaya didnt reject Arata before confessing to Taichi. After the meijin and queen match, it seems the three of them quite busy with graduation and univeristy exam, and Chihaya did not have the right time to tell Arata.
But given how Chihaya reacts towards Taichi, she probably already put her mind to reject Arata confession.

During highshcool graduation when she found out Taichi will study in Kyoto and his remarks (he needed a new environment and has no interest in Tokyo anymore), probably Chihaya is really afraid he will really move on this time (remember during the queen match, she remembered Taichi feeling is gradually fading for her). So with a lil bit push from Kana and Dekstomu, she finally confess to Taichi at that time.

You could see that Taichi is also feeling guilty regarding Arata confession to Chihaya, thats why both of them face Arata to inform him. Probably Taichi and Chihaya had a talk regarding Arata confession and decided to face together and told him as soon as possible.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

» How does the manga compare to the anime? (NO SPOILERS)

TsutanaiFuun - Jul 21, 2023

2 by Nirinbo »»
Jul 21, 2023 10:09 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.