Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Shiro Seijo to Kuro Bokushi' Gets TV Anime

New
Jun 15, 2022 8:47 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Publisher Kodansha announced on Thursday that a television anime adaptation of Hazano Kazutake's Shiro Seijo to Kuro Bokushi (Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence) is in production. The main staff and an illustration (pictured) by the mangaka to commemorate the announcement were also revealed.

Staff
Director: Sumie Noro (Maoujou de Oyasumi assistant director, Yesterday wo Uttate episode director)
Series Composition: Yuka Yamada (Koisuru Asteroid, Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon)
Character Design: Hiromi Nakagawa (Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita!, Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi chief animation director)
Studio: Doga Kobo

Kazutake began serializing the romantic comedy manga in Shounen Magazine R in April 2017. Kodansha shipped the tenth volume on June 16. Kodansha USA licensed the manga in English digitally in May last year. The ninth volume is scheduled to release on July 19.

Synopsis
Dwelling in the small outskirts of a peaceful town, Lawrence works as a local pastor for the townsfolk. When in need, he is responsible for guiding people to the church to visit the "Saint"—a symbol of good morals who heeds each parishioner’s struggles and grants them sincere advice. Cecelia, a kind young girl, is tasked to fulfill this role; however, this tiresome job quickly exhausts her. That, paired with her hidden somnolent nature, often causes her to laze around the church. This leaves Lawrence to care for the church all by himself. While Cecelia sleeps in anticipation for her next visitor, Lawrence caters to her needs alongside performing the church's numerous responsibilities.

Slowly but surely, they begin to form a comfortable and trusting friendship with one another. Lawrence accepting Cecelia's lax nature elates her while she grows accustomed to Lawrence's overly-doting nature. However, as the adoring and absent-minded saint's feelings for the dense and overly protective pastor progress past friendship, how will he respond? [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Official Manga Twitter: @shiroseijyo
Official manga site: https://pocket.shonenmagazine.com/episode/10834108156630546365

Source: Comic Natalie

Shiro Seijo to Kuro Bokushi on MAL
DatRandomDudeJun 16, 2022 7:38 AM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 15, 2022 8:51 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Catholic Church Romance: The Animation

I gotta see how this plays out lol
Jun 15, 2022 8:55 AM

Jul 2015
Doga Kobo is getting a lot of projects lately. I hope their employees are allowed to sleep.

Jun 15, 2022 8:57 AM

Jul 2021
It's Doga Kobo again. One of the studio ever.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 15, 2022 9:01 AM

May 2020
Seems like Doga Kobo, LIDENFILMS and Mappa are the only three studios making anime in Japan right now.
Jun 15, 2022 9:08 AM

Apr 2016
Can we get an amen.

Tokoya said:

Dont want to be that guy buuut ... pastors are protestant.
Jun 15, 2022 9:19 AM

Jan 2020
This is a shounen? I assumed it’d be a Shoujo
Jun 15, 2022 9:25 AM

Oct 2015
Animillion said:

Its like Shikimori-san, its Shounen.
Jun 15, 2022 9:27 AM

Jan 2020
Wdtm86 said:
Animillion said:

It’s like Shikimori San in that there’s another useless male mc or just that it’s a shounen?
Jun 15, 2022 9:33 AM

Feb 2020
Oh dang! i was seeing a lot of art from the artist before. Lookin forward to it, especially from Doga Kobo
Jun 15, 2022 9:34 AM

Feb 2020
Swagernator said:
Can we get an amen.

Tokoya said:

Dont want to be that guy buuut ... pastors are protestant.

It depends... Catholics also refer to priests as pastors. Tho yeah pastor is prob a less used term
Jun 15, 2022 10:30 AM

May 2021
that's the doga kobo i know, cute moe animes..
Jun 15, 2022 10:39 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
sounds cute, i'll give this a try.
Jun 15, 2022 10:43 AM
Jan 2021
This cool and all but I’m tired of these type of shows similar to nagatoro, komi San , etc
Jun 15, 2022 11:06 AM

Aug 2018
Looks like a fun Romance Anime, I'll give it a try since i am sucker for Romance Anime's
"When There Is Evil In This World That Justice Cannot Defeat, Would You Taint Your Hands With Evil To Defeat Evil? Or Would You Remain Steadfast And Righteous Even If It Means Surrendering To Evil?"
Jun 15, 2022 11:11 AM
Jul 2018
I thought this would be shoujo when I looked at it. Kinda disappointed it's not, but I'll still give it a try.
Jun 15, 2022 1:27 PM

Sep 2020
Softhenic03 said:
Seems like Doga Kobo, LIDENFILMS and Mappa are the only three studios making anime in Japan right now.
On average Mappa and Dogo Kobo release 3-4 anime per year unlike Lidenflims which is 10+ per year. Currently Cloverworks and Wit are makeing more anime then Mappa and Dogo Kobo.
Jun 15, 2022 3:22 PM

Jul 2017
SAINT MUST PROTECCCCCCCCCC

but like.......why an adaptation for this? Same with Shikimori-san there just isn't much to go off to warrant an adaptation imo
Jun 15, 2022 3:57 PM

Aug 2018
Another light shounen romance, seems we will get more of this type anime
Jun 15, 2022 5:08 PM

Oct 2015
Animillion said:
Wdtm86 said:

It’s like Shikimori San in that there’s another useless male mc or just that it’s a shounen?

Eh , idk if he useless or not. Better read it by yourself.
Jun 15, 2022 5:11 PM
Aug 2021
Doga Koba is goat.
Jun 15, 2022 9:01 PM
Jul 2018
Interesting.. I'll check the manga and im looking forward to the anime adaptation.
Jun 16, 2022 12:35 AM
Apr 2019
booooored the romcoms are the new "isekai" in terms of not contributing nothing, it's always the same

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Jun 16, 2022 3:40 AM
Mar 2019
When this manga get anime adaptation, stairway to heaven :

Now playing: Ave Maria by Rebecca Luker

What the heck Otonari no Tenshi anime adaptation produce by project 9 not Doga Kobo.
I wish my favourite light novel want get animated by same studio...

Sorry English
Jun 16, 2022 2:45 PM

Mar 2014
"This is a christian anime board" will no longer be a meme.

Wonder how many shades of "Anime Christianity" this will have. "Nuns are mikos"? "Christian Dragon Jesus"? "Holy Hand Grenade"?

Rosary_Diva said:
booooored the romcoms are the new "isekai" in terms of not contributing nothing, it's always the same

Then don't watch them anymore. They are easily recognizable, so you can't easily be baited into watching one.
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Jun 16, 2022 10:27 PM
Apr 2019
Fabris said:

Wonder how many shades of "Anime Christianity" this will have. "Nuns are mikos"? "Christian Dragon Jesus"? "Holy Hand Grenade"?

Rosary_Diva said:

Then don't watch them anymore. They are easily recognizable, so you can't easily be baited into watching one.

those stories don't get enough hate they deserve

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Jun 16, 2022 11:05 PM
Mar 2022
Tokoya said:

As someone that has read the manga, the religion in question has nothing in common with Christianity. There's not even that much info about the religion the pastor serves. All I remember is that there are spirits and that the saint FMC can sense and communicate with them.
Jeje2020Jun 16, 2022 11:12 PM
Jun 16, 2022 11:08 PM
Mar 2022
Animillion said:
Wdtm86 said:

It's like Shikimori in the sense that it's another wholesome fluffy romcom. Also, Izumi ain't useless. I suggest you watch the series instead of just relying on the first few episodes. If I judged every anime like you, I would never have watched all of Evangelion just because Shinji was a whiny MC.
Jun 16, 2022 11:09 PM
Mar 2022
Rosary_Diva said:
Fabris said:

Why should romcoms get hate? They're good and enjoyable to watch. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they have to stop pumping them out. Go watch something else if you don't like them.
Jun 16, 2022 11:14 PM
Mar 2022
Short_Circut said:
SAINT MUST PROTECCCCCCCCCC

but like.......why an adaptation for this? Same with Shikimori-san there just isn't much to go off to warrant an adaptation imo

Maybe the reason why there's an adaptation for this is because this has enough of a following to warrant an adaptation? Or maybe they just wanted to boost manga sales thru anime? Also, I don't get why Shikimori shouldn't warrant an adaptation. That has more material than this.
Jun 16, 2022 11:24 PM
Mar 2022
Nice. I've been reading the manga of this and it's so sweet and wholesome. If you liked slice of life romance like Shikimori-san, My Senpai is Annoying, or Tonikaku Kawaii, you might like this.
Jun 17, 2022 2:30 AM

Oct 2017
New anime by Doga Kobo, must watch.
Jun 17, 2022 5:30 AM
Apr 2019
Rosary_Diva said:

Why should romcoms get hate? They're good and enjoyable to watch. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they have to stop pumping them out. Go watch something else if you don't like them.

the romcom they are also fantasies for otakus, where a boring and bland guy gets an amazing and extrovert girl as a girlfriend or several girls fall in love with him despite being a beta character with nothing remarkable. The isekai are not usually different because having several girls who fall in love with the protagonist is usually the most important thing, especially now that lately the isekais tend to focus more on the slice of life, the harem and pretend to be a comedy/parody.

Jun 17, 2022 6:03 AM

Feb 2019
Jeje2020 said:
Rosary_Diva said:

You've got it backwards. Just because you think they're good and enjoyable doesn't mean they are.

They're not, and they take resources away from what could be more interesting projects. There are, after all, only a finite amount of animators. So, no, "watching something else" doesn't solve the problem. Instigating a lack of demand, that is, hate, will.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Jun 17, 2022 6:56 AM
Jul 2009
O_T_T said:
Jeje2020 said:

You've got it backwards. Just because you think they're good and enjoyable doesn't mean they are.

They're not, and they take resources away from what could be more interesting projects. There are, after all, only a finite amount of animators. So, no, "watching something else" doesn't solve the problem. Instigating a lack of demand, that is, hate, will.

Good thing nobody cares what you think, LOL
Jun 17, 2022 7:32 AM

Feb 2019
Koshi_Inaba said:
O_T_T said:

That is genuinely the most meaningless, pathetic response I have ever heard anyone muster. Not only is that provably false, nothing I just said even has anything to do with what I alone think. That subject was never brought up, I'm discussing the inarguable facts of human resources.

If you're going to make a nuisance of yourself, at the very least argue against that which I said, not that which you made up.
Jun 17, 2022 9:09 AM

Jan 2020
Jeje2020 said:
Animillion said:

It's like Shikimori in the sense that it's another wholesome fluffy romcom. Also, Izumi ain't useless. I suggest you watch the series instead of just relying on the first few episodes. If I judged every anime like you, I would never have watched all of Evangelion just because Shinji was a whiny MC.

I’m actually caught up with the anime. Although he wasn’t necessarily annoying in the previous episode, he’s still bland and boring. Also, what do you mean by “if you judged every anime like me”. The season is almost done. How much more do I need to watch to have a reasonable opinion?

Anyway, someone mentioned that if you like ToniKawa then you might like this, so that’s good enough for me to give it a watch.
AnimillionJun 17, 2022 9:14 AM
Jun 17, 2022 1:16 PM

Mar 2019
@Animillion It is curious, you remind me that shoujo romance exists since basically romcoms like these have completely extinguished them despite the fact that they are not a good replacement, if you like shoujo romances I would recommend staying away from these works since many really are fantasies for hikikomoris where the girl is only the prize for a loser male character, while a shoujo this does not happen but both feel like a true couple for example fruits basket
Jun 17, 2022 1:21 PM

Jan 2020
G0ldStark said:
@Animillion It is curious, you remind me that shoujo romance exists since basically romcoms like these have completely extinguished them despite the fact that they are not a good replacement, if you like shoujo romances I would recommend staying away from these works since many really are fantasies for hikikomoris where the girl is only the prize for a loser male character, while a shoujo this does not happen but both feel like a true couple for example fruits basket

I’ve watched some Shoujo anime, but tbh many of them are the same except the genders are reversed. I haven’t watch Fruits Basket, but I’ve heard that’s actually an anamoly among the abundance of lacklustre Shoujo. I loved shoujos like My Love Story and Snow White with the Red Hair tho, so I’d welcome some straight good romance shoujos with great male and female leads
Jun 17, 2022 2:04 PM

Mar 2019
Animillion said:
G0ldStark said:

I’ve watched some Shoujo anime, but tbh many of them are the same except the genders are reversed. I haven’t watch Fruits Basket, but I’ve heard that’s actually an anamoly among the abundance of lacklustre Shoujo. I loved shoujos like My Love Story and Snow White with the Red Hair tho, so I’d welcome some straight good romance shoujos with great male and female leads

a great list of recommendations so that people do not forget that there is an entire demographic where shows them that girls are people who have thoughts and feelings of their own and aren't prizes to be won.
Jun 17, 2022 6:04 PM

Mar 2014
G0ldStark said:
Animillion said:

a great list of recommendations so that people do not forget that there is an entire demographic where shows them that girls are people who have thoughts and feelings of their own and aren't prizes to be won.

I would put a big BUT ANIME ONLY on Bunny Drop...because, you know, the manga went into weird, disturbing places, later on.

FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Jun 18, 2022 4:16 AM

Mar 2019
Fabris said:
G0ldStark said:

I would put a big BUT ANIME ONLY on Bunny Drop...because, you know, the manga went into weird, disturbing places, later on.

manga? this is only a list of anime
Jun 18, 2022 2:37 PM

Feb 2019
O_T_T said:

I'm sorry sir, but I do care that opinion and I must back this point up as truth. They use and waste the talent of many animators on really boring projects lacking in substance and the best example I could give you is Spy x Family and their incessant folish of ignoring their plot, of not using the potential it has... no, instead we have filler, repeat the same visual gag of the girl meme and other idiosyncratic nonsense.
Jun 19, 2022 3:28 AM
Mar 2022
Rosary_Diva said:

the romcom they are also fantasies for otakus, where a boring and bland guy gets an amazing and extrovert girl as a girlfriend or several girls fall in love with him despite being a beta character with nothing remarkable. The isekai are not usually different because having several girls who fall in love with the protagonist is usually the most important thing, especially now that lately the isekais tend to focus more on the slice of life, the harem and pretend to be a comedy/parody.

Then you obviously haven't watched that many romcoms then if you just lumped them all as "otaku pandering". And even if they are, what's wrong with that? People like them for the same reasons why they like power fantasies. If people find something fun and enjoyable to watch, leave them be. And besides, most of your romcoms are simple, inoffensive affairs. There are far more problematic anime out there that deserves people's hatred.
In any case, don't like it? Go find something else to watch.
Jun 19, 2022 3:32 AM
Mar 2022
RayReynolds said:

I'm sorry sir, but I do care that opinion and I must back this point up as truth. They use and waste the talent of many animators on really boring projects lacking in substance and the best example I could give you is Spy x Family and their incessant folish of ignoring their plot, of not using the potential it has... no, instead we have filler, repeat the same visual gag of the girl meme and other idiosyncratic nonsense.

I'm glad that the production committees in Japan responsible for the anime that we watch don't rely on the opinions of people like you.

And as for SxF, you must really have shit taste if you're complaining about a MASTERPIECE that pretty much everyone and their mother loves. And you know what? I'm glad SxF is focusing more on the gag aspect of the show. It's one of the most entertaining aspects of SxF.
Jun 19, 2022 3:37 AM
Mar 2022
O_T_T said:
Jeje2020 said:

Yeah, I think they're good and I know for a fact that plenty of people do too. Hence, why Japan will keep pumping out romcoms because they have a market and they have a market because people like me and many others find them fun and enjoyable.

How about you be the one to demonstrate to me and everyone else here why romcoms shouldn't be produced. Better yet, why don't you get off your fucking high horse and make anime on your own if you want to keep complaining about the finite resources of the anime industry and some such BS.

Again, don't like the anime? GO WATCH SOMETHING ELSE.
Jun 19, 2022 3:45 AM
Mar 2022
Animillion said:
Jeje2020 said:

I’m actually caught up with the anime. Although he wasn’t necessarily annoying in the previous episode, he’s still bland and boring. Also, what do you mean by “if you judged every anime like me”. The season is almost done. How much more do I need to watch to have a reasonable opinion?

Anyway, someone mentioned that if you like ToniKawa then you might like this, so that’s good enough for me to give it a watch.

Well, I don't have a problem with Izumi's character. People like you might want characters that are interesting but I'm not the type to demand that every MC be memorable, especially if the anime in question is a simple slice of life romcom.

And with regards to your remarks regarding this and Tonikawa being similar, just a heads up, unlike Tonikawa, the MC and FMC here aren't together yet. The similarities this has with Tonikawa is that this is a sweet wholesome slice of life. This is the type of romcom that shows like Tonikawa and Shikimori is not just a cutie falls into. The sweet "diabetes inducing" type of romcom as I'd like to call it. What makes it unique though is that the MC is a pastor of a church belonging to religion that somewhat resembles Christianity in an organizational manner and the FMC is a "saint" who can communicate with spirits in the fantasy world they inhabit.
Jun 19, 2022 9:42 AM

Feb 2019
RayReynolds said:

I'm glad that the production committees in Japan responsible for the anime that we watch don't rely on the opinions of people like you.

And as for SxF, you must really have shit taste if you're complaining about a MASTERPIECE that pretty much everyone and their mother loves. And you know what? I'm glad SxF is focusing more on the gag aspect of the show. It's one of the most entertaining aspects of SxF.

if I have a shit taste? So I can also say that you have a shitty opinion
yes, sir those are strong arguments
Jun 19, 2022 11:01 AM

Feb 2019
Jeje2020 said:
Yeah, I think they're good and I know for a fact that plenty of people do too.

Are you under the impression that there being "plenty of people" sharing your opinion somehow makes it more reliable? I do not find it at all an unlikely scenario that "plenty of people" simply fail to understand what makes a show worth producing, as you have.

Hence, why Japan will keep pumping out romcoms because they have a market and they have a market because people like me and many others find them fun and enjoyable.

That's true. But there being a market for something, there being customers for something, does not mean that something is automatically good. To make an extreme example, there's a market for heroin.

How about you be the one to demonstrate to me and everyone else here why romcoms shouldn't be produced.

I already did? They take away resources that could be better used elsewhere. What exactly doesn't make sense to you there?

Better yet, why don't you get off your fucking high horse and make anime on your own if you want to keep complaining about the finite resources of the anime industry and some such BS.

A - I don't have to participate in something to be able to point out its systematic issues, and B - that still wouldn't deal with said issues. Even if I suddenly had the necessary funds and connections to set up my own anime studio tomorrow, the pumping out of shallow romance anime would still continue to take away from other, more valuable projects that I alone would not be able to quell.

Again, don't like the anime? GO WATCH SOMETHING ELSE.

Again, doesn't deal with the problem at hand, see my previous comment.
Jun 19, 2022 11:22 AM

Jan 2020
Jeje2020 said:
Animillion said:

Well, I don't have a problem with Izumi's character. People like you might want characters that are interesting but I'm not the type to demand that every MC be memorable, especially if the anime in question is a simple slice of life romcom.

And with regards to your remarks regarding this and Tonikawa being similar, just a heads up, unlike Tonikawa, the MC and FMC here aren't together yet. The similarities this has with Tonikawa is that this is a sweet wholesome slice of life. This is the type of romcom that shows like Tonikawa and Shikimori is not just a cutie falls into. The sweet "diabetes inducing" type of romcom as I'd like to call it. What makes it unique though is that the MC is a pastor of a church belonging to religion that somewhat resembles Christianity in an organizational manner and the FMC is a "saint" who can communicate with spirits in the fantasy world they inhabit.

My only problem with your comment was calling me out for having a legitimate opinion of Izumi. We can agree to disagree on that. I have no clue what this series is like, so I’ll give it a shot and judge it after
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
8 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Today

4 by Memore »»
10 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
11 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Today

1 by RobertBobert »»
12 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
Today, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.