Forum Settings
Forums

Are you a closet anime fan or an open anime fan?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 1, 2022 4:05 AM

Oct 2020
My friends and family know.
I'm not exactly closeted about it, but i'm not exactly very open about it either
Jun 1, 2022 9:57 AM

May 2022
The town i live in is pretty weeb friendly. we got manga stores and stuff, and they are very active. i think it's no surprise that people here at the very least enjoy manga, and i don't think they're secretive about it. I think people around me know that i enjoy anime, but they don't really know what anime i enjoy. So kind of secretive but not really?
Jun 1, 2022 9:59 AM

Dec 2018
I’m not an anime fan, I’m an Utena fan.
Jun 1, 2022 10:13 AM

Jun 2020
I used to be open about it but then I stopped and now I pretend that I don't like it because I was fed up of people thinking I was weird

I mean don't really like it that much, not like I used to but I do watch it sometimes still
Jun 1, 2022 11:23 AM

Mar 2022
I'm personally pretty open about it. I have no reason to hide it because most of the time nobody really cares, and those who DO care tend to be weebs themselves so I would've just found a new weeb friend.
Jun 1, 2022 11:30 AM
Aug 2020
Nobody understand what anime is. I don't have patience to make them actually understand so I don't talk about anime.
My close friends always knew I watched anime and almost all of my friends started watching anime eventually. Initially they used to scoff whenever I have discussion with some other anime watcher but then they realized they were idiots and become anime lovers.
Anime is really new concept here and only kids from 2010s and up are really into it. I was really amazed when weathering with you, dragon ball brolly and demon slayer actually released in theatres here.
Jun 1, 2022 12:09 PM

Jun 2019
I was more open about it when I was younger, but now I'm not. Being a closet weeb artists sucks since anime art is at least 60% of what I draw and what I enjoy drawing the most. When someone asks me what I draw I normally just say "people" lmao.
Jun 2, 2022 2:18 PM

Apr 2022
I don't tend to talk to a whole lot of people but when it comes to immediate family,Everyone knows that I love anime. Sometimes my family likes to joke about it but it's not meant to be mean;they watch it as well,even my parents occasionally. Personally I never thought being a fan of anime was anything to be embarrassed about or something to hide but that's just me.
Action, Horror, Sci-fi, Fantasy and Pizza
Jun 20, 2022 10:41 PM
Jul 2018
I think a lot of people know what I like, I don't really hide my preferences.
Jun 21, 2022 8:11 AM

Jan 2018
i think i just keep it to myself but i'm not secretive about it either. you can do good deeds in life still will have people calling you out. i enjoy coming here for example even though you guys are probably being immature at times, but what fun would it be without some argument.

someone wrote a signature "if you are friendly then you wouldn't be here on mal" while this is true, it's actually fun to talk to people once i am used to it (bullshit behavior needs patience as usual). though i won't suddenly just disappear because this is one of the only ways i can write english.
Jun 21, 2022 2:04 PM
Dec 2018
Anime doesn't have that huge of a stigma that it used to have in the past. People know that I watch anime (even if it's just assumptions) but I don't talk about it if the atmosphere in the room isn't right

Sometimes it's to avoid being the annoying person, sometimes it's to avoid the annoying person, just like any other thing in life.
i make pluggnb so hmu
Jun 21, 2022 2:13 PM

Aug 2020
Not sure if someone's made it but neither one. I'm a "closed" anime fan. That's why i like Detective Conan.
Jun 21, 2022 3:12 PM

Sep 2018
i'll tell people i do watch anime if it comes up as a discussion but i'm not about to go out there asking everybody if they like anime... get what i mean?
Jun 22, 2022 4:15 AM
Jan 2022
I'm only open to my family and my close friends. Other than that, I pretty much stay silent.
Jun 22, 2022 4:26 AM

Jun 2016
HiddenByDesign said:
I wear loli hentai t shirts on the first date.
Guessing you don't get many seconds. xd

Jun 22, 2022 4:30 AM

Feb 2010
I'm just living my life. Never a reason to hide it, almost never a reason to bring it up either.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 22, 2022 5:37 AM

Mar 2022
friends family, they all know, cuz why not, what's to hide.
Jun 22, 2022 6:02 AM

Aug 2017
I'm very open about it because nowadays anime is much more mainstream, especially if you are a casual watcher

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jun 22, 2022 8:49 AM

Feb 2021
more on the closeted side since i'm still 'new' compared to watchers around me -- there's this rampant stereotype thing here, especially now, where they say females just watch anime for male validation - it gives me the ick, and i hate being judged

i also really don't consider myself an 'anime fan' in the definition of close to being a 'weeb' or someone who makes anime a big part of their personality/character/life -- that's why i also don't prefer being called that. i just watch for entertainment and that's it. i don't dwell on it for too long like most anime fans, or engage in fandoms too much

Dec 3, 2022 3:51 PM

Jun 2020
I think this is my second time posting on this forum by my answer has changed since then lol.
I used to be an open anime fan because most people I knew watched anime, so barely anybody really judged me for it, but I'm a closeted anime fan now. Most of my friends have strayed away from anime and so did I for a while, however I'm back but I don't talk about it anymore.
Dec 3, 2022 4:09 PM

Feb 2020
I tell people about how im learning japanese and watching anime quite a bit
mm more people should watch anime aswell

Dec 3, 2022 4:15 PM

Aug 2018
I don't go around bragging about my love for anime about cute girls and stuff. I live in the USA where everyone is ultra judgmental and always looking for a way to destroy someone's life by insulting your moral character or insulting your social standing so they can feel better about themselves.
Dec 3, 2022 4:39 PM

Nov 2020
Open except kinda closeted to one friend. They know I like anime but they don't let me watch anime anymore so they would get mad at me if they knew I was watching anime anyway. (I don't know if that counts as closeted or not.)
"If we live happily, we win." Uno, Nanbaka
"Shit happens man" Jyugo, Nanbaka (English dub)
Dec 4, 2022 3:21 AM

Sep 2021
mostly a closet anime fan
most of the time people ask me if i watch anime or not I lie unless its a friend or someone else who watches anime
Dec 4, 2022 3:36 AM

Jan 2020
Most of my friends know that anime is part of my medium since most of them watch anime too, but I'm trying to be secretive about it lately because I got my classmates weirded out of me (fuck them) and end being a loner in the class, so promise to myself that I'm hiding the fact that I love watching anime so bad. I going to college next year so I thought it might be necessary to be secretive about it.
Dec 4, 2022 3:41 AM

Oct 2022
With my friends, sure why not. I don't really speak to them about it though?
But with anyone else... haha.. no way

Dec 4, 2022 3:41 AM
Apr 2022
i'm the only one who is closet and i don't have any irl friends
Dec 4, 2022 4:19 AM

Aug 2018
back then i used to be really enthusiast everytime i find out my friend watch anime or see them talking about anime and trying to share it as much as i can with them, but now its pretty much everyone watching atleast 1 or 2 or 3 series out there, and talk about them here and there
hizaqw_1Dec 4, 2022 4:27 AM
still having great time with my stuff
Dec 4, 2022 4:50 AM
Jan 2022
Anime is basically mainstream now so theres no reason for me to be not open about it. Also idgfac about what others say about me.
Dec 4, 2022 4:55 AM

Jan 2019
My siblings and girlfriend know it, my parents have seen me watching some animes such as Kenshin or Dragon Ball (I can even add Doraemon because it is aired on TV and sometime my father an I whacth it xD, he really likes Doraemon) but I think they think its just cartoon, as Rick and Morty, Gumball or Adventure Time.

My friends dont know I watch anime but I have talked about One Punch Man or another anime with some of them in random conversations, but they dont know I watch anime everyday.
Dec 4, 2022 5:05 AM

Jan 2019
Both I Think? My relatives and some friends knows that I'm an Anime Fan but I want to keep it a secret
Dec 4, 2022 5:07 AM

Oct 2018
Back in highschool, I used to be an open-fan since anime was niche and I thought I'd get along with someone if we both watched anime. (which I've since decided is wrong, because there's so many different genres, opinions, etc)
But now it became mainstream and I don't really wanna make friends anymore (especially with extroverts *shudder*) so I hide it. I've been surprised by so many "normie"-looking people who were chatting about anime.
- ratings literally don't matter. (especially the top 10 or whatever)
- anime characters aren't real people.
- why do you have signatures on. lol
Dec 4, 2022 5:24 AM

Apr 2019
I am completely open about my liking of anime. Everybody in my family and my friends knows that. In my country their is no stigma against liking anime so no one judges me for my hobbies.
Dec 4, 2022 5:50 AM

Sep 2019
I guess open about it, since I literally wear anime pins on my bag (so it's too late to deny it, if anything).
When talking with my friend about it, I completely forget the unsual reactions you can get from other people.

But sometimes I'm thrown back to reality when people start making it my whole personality or think I'm obsessed with it, like. I'm not denying I like anime, but I start to feel very embarrassed about it, when this happens, and almost want to deny that "no, it's not as bad as you make it sound".

Waiting for something to happen?
Dec 4, 2022 5:57 AM

Feb 2018
i grew up around a very conventional, highly-Bigoted 20th-century American extended family,
so... i pretty much learned to stop paying much heed to what people might happen to think about my OTAKUdom, like... Forever Ago...
Dec 4, 2022 5:58 AM

Aug 2016
I'm open about every single thing I like, anime included
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Dec 4, 2022 6:09 AM

May 2019
i'm an open closet anime ceiling fan.
Dec 4, 2022 6:17 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
don't spaz it into people face. But people know that it's my main hobby.
Dec 4, 2022 7:44 AM
Nov 2022
I wouldn't say I'm that open about it.
Dec 4, 2022 11:02 AM

Feb 2022
Only my sisters know that i watch anime and no-one else knows about it, not my friends and no in my social media circle
[/url]
Dec 4, 2022 11:09 AM

Jan 2022
Been pretty open about my Japanimation / Anime fandom since 1991. No sense in denying it.
Dec 4, 2022 12:47 PM

Jul 2019
I'm open. I just casually bring it up whenever at dinner tables and conversations.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Dec 4, 2022 12:50 PM
Oct 2016
i`m a bit too open about my love for anime.
Dec 4, 2022 1:13 PM

Feb 2021
I'm a closet weeb:) No one knows I watch anime.
Dec 4, 2022 2:57 PM

Aug 2008
I am so open about it. I never had a reason to hide it from almost everyone I know. There's not stigma about Anime or watching it in my vicinity.
Dec 4, 2022 6:17 PM
Mar 2017
When I got into Anime I never talked about it publicly. I'd only look at anime related spaces online from the shadows, updating my word doc/MAL. These days I only bring it up if necessary/only family are the times I talk about Anime (when JRPGs or anime games are involved) or Manga when it comes to 'reading material' on my shelves besides MAL. 99% of the time it's MAL not out and about.

So I'd say more so closet still.
Dec 4, 2022 10:52 PM

May 2020
I really don't know. I am closet weeb with my family except for my sister and cousins.

But in public or school,i can just confidenly say "yes I'm a weeb" if asked. Having another weebs in my class has really helped me be more open about it. When I think I'm not the only one, the worry goes away.
┏────────┓
WHY
Is HoneyComeBear so Underrated?

─────────
┗─────────┛
Dec 5, 2022 9:28 AM

Aug 2017
Open to the club at my university I'm a part of and on social media, closet to everyone else I know in real life
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Dec 5, 2022 9:54 PM

Oct 2016
Closet weeb for sure. I've always envisioned the weeb as really cringe, so didn't want to get associated with it. But the reality is, it's just cringe in general. Like now a lot of people watch anime, that still won't make me wanna talk about anime in public. I have a really big interest in learning Japanese but I feel like sometimes anime ruins it for me, like most things...."oh you learning anime language?" like the amount of people that just can't separate anime and a whole country and its culture, it's unbelievable. Everything from Japan is a Naruto reference...Then there's also the whole, I feel embarrassed to pronounce japanese words like the title or their names so there's no way I can talk about anime.

But yeah, a couple of bad apples ruin the bunch, anime has a bad name, so I don't feel publicly being an anime fan. Of course it's just like TV Shows, and you want to talk about them...but it's complicated. I have some online friends with which I love talking about anime. Then my real friends who I hang out with? They now watch some anime and I might say the stuff they are watching is cool, but that's it, I will not proceed and analyze it any further than that, even if I want to; I just don't feel the need to publicly show my passion for anime, I know if you like it you shouldn't be embarrassed about it, but I'm a superficial person, so I want to look like an obnoxious weeb, some of them are really annoying, they just don't stop, and I'm sure I could also not stop if I get carried away.

Ffs, I have 2 discords just so I can use an anime pfp in one of them, and hide it from the discord I use for the rest of my stuff. I like the art and fanart of anime, but I just don't want to be the "anime pfp whose opinion is discarded for having that" So yeah, I wouldn't go to an anime convention, wouldn't get anime shirts, and would def not buy an anime figurine. I constantly hide anime from netflix, and I'm sure I'm not that good at hiding it, but I will still try to hide it as much as I can.

Some people don't wear pink shirts, I think they are just another color. But what I wouldn't wear ever is an ahegao shirt... I wouldn't judge someone from having it, but I'll definitely play dumb if I see one
Dec 5, 2022 10:13 PM
Jun 2020
I used to be really into to telling everyone how great anime was, would wear anime shirts and say cringe anime crap. But then I realized every one hates anime. Luckily I moved to a new state and nobody knows I'm a weebs.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 2 hours ago

23 by Strayfe »»
24 seconds ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by Piromysl »»
2 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

58 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - 28 minutes ago

3 by KittenCuddler »»
14 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 8 hours ago

27 by Shizuna »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.