Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ya Boy Kongming!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 27, 2022 12:41 PM

May 2018
I'm more surprised that Koumei hasn't died of heat stroke yet
May 27, 2022 1:22 PM

Feb 2014
Even the likes of Kongming resorts to using the infamous "hiding in plain sight with two sticks with leaves on it" while looking over Kabe. XD

Aside from that and the him appearing in a mascot costume crying after hearing Eiko singing, this episode was serious and rather realistically depressing, all thanks to Nanami's backstory and how she and her two friends from high school formed Azalea. The girls loved to play the songs they made together, but trying to make it big in Tokyo was proving to be a hurdle that was too difficult for them to clear and it was costing them financially, too.

That was when Karasawa stepped in and told the girls to change the way they did things and do what he wanted to do for them. It showcased the harsher side of the music industry where not everyone can succeed in an industry being who they truly are, so the trio have to resort to following the latest trends, wearing revealing costumes on stage and, at one point in their backstory, lip-syncing in a "live" performance just to make their dancing choreography better, all for the sake of selling more of their songs and gaining more popularity.

Meeting Eiko has been a breath of fresh air for Nanami and both revealing their identities and their true goals here means that while remain friends, they can't stop themselves from being rivals in the goal of getting into Summer Sonia. After hearing Eiko's beautiful vocal performance overlooking the Tokyo sky at night behind her, Nanami departs with a tearful face and her body trembling to hold back her emotions.

I can only hope that Eiko can win this challenge, so that she and Nanami can sing together again. It's the only way to help Nanami in the situation that she's in as of now.
May 27, 2022 3:05 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Man, that singing gave me shivers. This show really knows how to get emotional even with character we haven't know for that much.

Also, Kongming at the end XD
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
May 27, 2022 3:40 PM
Jul 2014
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
TigreDemon said:
Did her voice change lol ?

It seem to be so different now

Eiko's had a separate for singing since the first episode

Yeah I know but, in this one in particular it's way different
May 27, 2022 3:54 PM
Jun 2019
Nanami: And as a result, our fanbase exploded. We sold loads of CDs and merch, and we became able to make a living on music alone.

Me: What did it cost?

Nanami: My purity, my happiness, and my friends. In short, EvEryTHinG.

Graduated High School in May of 2022. Summer vacation has finally arrived. I have once again regained the power of a new anime fan, being able to watch multiple anime episodes in a day. Time to binge-watch every single anime I can into the night until college arrives. SADGE. SUPER SADGE... College has begun as of Monday, August 30, 2022, so you won't be seeing me much around these parks. See you on weekends, I guess... School me is back. Sigh! I'll at least try for one anime a day with all this course load.
May 27, 2022 5:25 PM

Jan 2013
Violet42 said:
MeansToAnEnd said:
So why is Karasawa's head so promintent here, given that he's a minor character introduced so late?

just looks odd

I imagine he's basically going to be the antagonist of the last few episodes, right? Like I dunno if he'll use any dirty tricks against Eiko, but for sure he'll use his money and power as he has been to hyper-promote Azalea. Anyway, the boy band singer and the meathead gymgirl singer are on the poster too, so it's just any character who's remotely significant to the story.
I just noticed that the glasses stalker-ish Eiko fan is in the poster too lol.
May 27, 2022 9:43 PM

Jan 2022
Everyone must have a problem so everyone is trying to find something that can save them. Eiko has music that saves her.This episode is quite touching
“Life is never boring, but some people choose to be bored.”

— Wayne Dyer
May 27, 2022 10:21 PM

Jan 2016
Fantastic episode! Showing the 'dark side' of the music industry and Eiko's growth. It seems she is very close to her own answer, if not already found :P
THANKS SENPIEX
May 27, 2022 10:38 PM

Jan 2020
What an episode. This will go down as one of the greatest music anime in history in my books without a doubt. Very nice flashback and lots of emotion.

Everything about the Azalea flashback was just sooo good. I loved every second of this episode and of course, the performance from Eiko at the end was beautiful

May 27, 2022 10:43 PM
Jul 2018
Amazing episode Nanamin is my favorite character from the show so it's nice to know more about her Eiko and Nanamin's friendship is great the background was beautiful when Eiko was singing
removed-userAug 14, 2022 1:56 AM
May 28, 2022 11:29 AM

Sep 2017
Sell your soul to become a skimpy idol pop group. Yeah pretty feelsbadman. The last few eps I was thinking Nanami could have been a fourth member that quit but at the beginning of this ep I realized she had the same hair color as the front girl... Figured it out just in time for the reveal.
May 28, 2022 11:34 AM
Mar 2021
At first I was like, okay I know the relevancy of the song to Eiko and the words of the lyrics, but why do they keep using this song over and over? Then I listened to the other versions from previous episodes, and I realized she sings it differently everytime. Not the lyrics, just the tone of the songs, each one felt different. Especially this one it's much more emotional, it's like she's actually getting better and better. And you can't highlight that by using different songs.
May 28, 2022 7:34 PM

Oct 2016
Glad to see Eiko finding her own reason for singing.

It's rather unfortunate that she's competing against Nanami though, and that the Azalea girls aren't playing the music they love anymore. As a fan of rock music, I'd like to hear their normal songs.
May 28, 2022 9:01 PM

Jan 2011
i know Eiko is the protagonist of the show but still, the last couple of eps needed a bit more Kongming
May 28, 2022 10:31 PM

Oct 2008
nice episode!
we've seen the harsh struggles of Nanamin! but Eiko's there for her and looks like they're gonna be rivals huh...
i wonder what's kongming's next move...?
5/5.

May 29, 2022 2:08 AM
Feb 2019
I don't really give a shit about nanami's drama story tbh.
Anime's been sucking more recently. Only watched for kongming and i dont think showing him every 10 minutes and having him go "according to plan" and then sidelining him again doesn't make it better.
May 30, 2022 7:06 AM

Apr 2018
Always sad to see innocence shattered by reality.
May 30, 2022 7:50 PM
Mar 2019
That is what you call being in a manufactured band.
The song Eiko sings is awful, it's really not good enough to be sung in nearly every episode, i hate it.
May 31, 2022 7:16 PM

Dec 2016
Nine episodes out of twelve and we're still having long infodumps in flashback mode with sad sob stories of characters out of a cheesy telenovela. Morally ambiguous big shots that allegedly knows what brings in the dough, but he also pulls out a similar predicament such as the blue pill vs red pill for shock and awe of the 14 year old kind of audience. I feel this show is losing it's path on what should be the path of stardom for Eiko (not to mention the over used anime cliche of a star looking for her identity thru a rite of passage just to reach the same spot she's been since day one).

Hope next episodes finally wraps up this slog arc of Nanamin (shame, I had big expectations for her since she was showcased in the OP).

Edit: there is one piece of the puzzle that just doesn't fit or it doesn't sell me the idea that Karasawa knows what the audience wants. Allegedly these goth fetish scanty outfits are very easy to sell to the audience, but not a single moment was it depicted that this is what the audience wants, the audience were legit just cardboard cutouts. Not a single moment any of the static guys portrayed any emotion about being lured in by the band's scantly outfits. Karasawa also states that they should just do playback performances focusing on just the gimmick choreographies, but even the cheapest audiences tend to call out cheap artists doing lip sync. At least in Perfect Blue there was that part that it's quite visual to denote a horny audience dehumanizing Mima. In here I can' tell if the cardboard audience are there for the music, the skimpy outfits or just the beer.

syedzohair said:
They are butchering that song but singing it again and again. It is loosing it’s value

Totally agree. Sadly looks like Eiko has become a one hit wonder kind of artist.
KimurahMay 31, 2022 8:15 PM
Jun 1, 2022 10:03 AM
Jul 2020
Azalea got a blimp and can't get a 100k likes?
kekw, like the series though
Jun 1, 2022 11:48 PM

Feb 2021
syedzohair said:
They are butchering that song but singing it again and again. It is loosing it’s value

Here.
I put this comment on the forum for the site I use to watch it because there was a bunch of comments with something similar.
"You guys aren't very bright... All this waaa waa she sings an english song as a Japanese voice actor.
The song she sings is the song she heard from the American Singer when she first got brought to the BB lounge after she tried to kill herself.
It means a lot to her, and she and the other chick were singing it cause they both knew it and had never performed together. Also new song will be coming soon. The whole thing is to get her new song recorded at studio. But she couldn't exactly just sing her new song out in public if she wanted to use it for the competition post.
Really pisses me off how fired up ya'll get but if you just used your heads you could appreciate the show more."
But at least you are more reasonable then those comment sections, their english isn't great but , there is a reason they are using the same song over and over and I don't think its for budget purposes. Anyhow,..
reeeeeeeeee
Jun 3, 2022 3:49 PM

Mar 2008
This was a really good episode. Pretty realistic depiction of the music industry being predatory and oppressive to musicians. The relationship between Eiko and Nanami is nice and Eiko singing to her trying to heal her heart was touching.

MeansToAnEnd said:
So why is Karasawa's head so prominent here, given that he's a minor character introduced so late?

just looks odd

To show he’s a big headed jerk lol
traedJun 3, 2022 3:54 PM
Jun 3, 2022 5:55 PM

Jan 2020
Well, this episode solidified the show as a 10/10 for me. The only downside is we haven't had enough Kongming lately. WE NEED MORE OF HIM
Jun 5, 2022 10:04 AM

Feb 2019
That was quite a beautiful episode. Tragic, what happened to Nanami. But I can't blame her. Seeing her and her friends suffer like that, even more so her friends for her, since she seems to be their "leader".

A deal with the devil was what I could think about. I hope Nanami too finds her own salvation here, and with the rest of Azalea. Their awkward conversations were a sign that they're pushing their real selves deep inside.

It was hilarious for Koumei to show up when he did though lol
Jun 7, 2022 6:58 AM

Mar 2016
Stunningly beautiful episode!

My blog about about games and stories of any kind. Recent posts: Captain Tsubasa Rewatch Season 1 & Season 2.
Jun 9, 2022 4:07 AM
Jan 2018
The song has a significance for the character so it’s understandable that it would still be sang , besides she’s pretty much sings it differently each time.

Besides it’s not the only song she’s sang it’s just the one she sings more
Jun 9, 2022 6:29 AM
Jun 2016
People were predicting that Nanami is part of Azalea. Yeah, I didn't believe at first. Seems a little too much for a chill anime. But here we are.

Kongming has been surprisingly absent lately despite the anime being named after him, lol.
Jun 9, 2022 10:51 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well that's sad for Nanami but she should have been aware before that the show business is rotten to the core, it's not surprising at all to get a manager like that of course they have to wear sexual outfits otherwise it will not work, that's why you better just be interested in money and not music when you want to enter this industry.
Jun 18, 2022 10:32 AM
Aug 2021
another beautiful special ending song
Jun 19, 2022 9:47 AM

Mar 2010
Back story was at least better than Eikos and that anxiety emo kids one lolz.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 22, 2022 10:52 AM

Sep 2015
Nice singing, but Kongming appearing out of nowwhere was funny xD
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Jul 2, 2022 4:59 PM
Jan 2022
The reality of the industry has officially been reveal. Unfortunately I wish this was just plot device but stuff like this happens way too often in the music industry. For the most part, if you want to get famous you got to do what the producers want not what you want.

I love the fact Kongming was shown throughout the episode watching behind the scenes.

Also whoever is singing the English song, every time I hear it brings me to tears. They're so good at singing in English!!!
Jul 20, 2022 11:42 AM

Jul 2015
Well I'm glad they went with Azalea as band name because the first option was way too cool.

I can't wait for Kongming and Eiko to prove Karasawa wrong.

Aug 12, 2022 12:35 PM

Dec 2019
The K-On alternate timeline took me out of the story a bit. I couldn't take the producer seriously. He sees a rock band and demands them to play completely different music and lip sync everything. What did see in them? I'm guessing that they are attractive and desperate, but if he's solely taking advantage of that, why isn't there a contract? They would've mentioned it if there was. The singer is staying there just because she would feel guilty if she left.
Sep 15, 2022 2:17 PM
Jan 2022
It was an ok episode mu guys lets be honest this is very cliche
Sep 26, 2022 9:31 AM
Dec 2020
amazing love and increatable
Oct 5, 2022 10:44 AM
Apr 2021
I really loved the singing
Jan 24, 2023 10:39 AM

Jan 2021
Man, that was not what I was excepting
Oct 1, 2023 10:31 AM
Jul 2021
It’s interesting to see commenters have split reactions to the “fanservice” of Nanami in this episode. Some people call it out as a negative depiction which I agree with while others just regard it like normal fanservice and enjoy it.

Nanami walks around in a sweater and joggers. She obviously doesn’t want to parade around a stage in the outfit Stage Key forced on her and the camera’s emphasis on her hips and breast’s afterward really hit on how she’s basically sold as a sex object now and isn’t living anything remotely close to her dream.

I was really caught off guard by how moving her backstory is. This has been a thrill to watch but Nanami’s story is the most compelling struggle so far for me in this watch.
Mar 14, 9:53 AM

Feb 2019
This episode hit deep, to follow your passion or not.

Figuratively, Nanami and co. sold their souls to that guy Karasawa (Satan) to become famous, not through their talents in music anymore but just being eyecandy on stage, wearing those lewd skimpy clothes to show their body.

They have success in a sense, but at what costs? Their souls.

Needless to say, Nanamin in nu-Azalea has killed billions.
Based_DepartmentMar 14, 10:00 AM
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Mar 28, 2:00 AM

Oct 2010
Reply to zoh4ir
@zoh4ir LOL preach
May 3, 1:10 PM

Aug 2014
I liked this idea with 3 numbered sacks. At the end of this episode she should have sung her own song the new one or the old best one.. would have greater impact. I think this was too exaggerated that she moved Nanami to tears with that song..
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Paripi Koumei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2022

186 by Efemey »»
May 9, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Have you consummed media based on the Wars of the Three Kingdoms period of Imperial China before watching Ya Boy Kongming! ?

KingSunWukong - May 3

22 by Kurasaki_Kenji »»
May 5, 4:47 AM

» Kongming being too perfect kinda ruins the show

RejectedApples - Mar 28, 2023

18 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
May 3, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Kabe and Rap completely ruined this solid 9/10 anime ( 1 2 3 )

GangsterCat - Jun 2, 2022

121 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
May 3, 4:27 PM

Poll: » Paripi Koumei Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2022

225 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
May 3, 4:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.