Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 21, 2022 2:54 AM

Jul 2017
Hana hitting back at Nozomi's remarks about Aoi, but seeing that he coincidentally eavesdropped on their conversation, all he ever cared for is her lunch box made specially for Fukuda, and the support given from her to his mom. Hana's reason? Aoi resembles a lot like a certain player whom she adores and is of utmost importance to her, but Aoi is just munching on her lunch unknowingly all the way.

The 7-vs-7 intrasquad where Coach "Stone Face" Nozomi will be overlooking the 30-minute new player match, this is everyone's time to shine for appeal and earn a spot in the A Team, and Aoi's doing the same to prove Nozomi wrong. For a defender to trace his paths to walk and score a goal, that was a technique that no one could've ever anticipated of Aoi.

Everyone has their game faces on, and Aoi is not having it easy either from the rest of his own selection teammates, playing by different rules. Asari always breaks Aoi's counter when he knows it, and that might've shown his fatal flaw: playing by individual tactics, the theory supported by Anri Kaido, the daughter of the president of Tokyo Esperion's sponsor Kaido Electric. The Red vs. Black team of defender Aoi vs. forwarder Asari, the game of instinct vs. tactics have the latter completely taken over, and Aoi is subsequently ignored by his own teammates for not knowing what's going on on the pitch: situational awareness at the most immediate.

I think it's easy to pin the blame on Nozomi Date because he just didn't understand Aoi's line of fire when it comes to instinct play, as opposed to the multiple generations of players being the easiest to grow exponentially for both physical and intellect.

In a word, Haikyuu!'s Tooru Oikawa's most famous quite sums this best: “Talent is something you make bloom, instinct is something you polish.”
KANLen09May 21, 2022 5:35 AM
May 21, 2022 5:45 AM
Sep 2015
I hope Aoi lose properly and learn his lesson instead of pulling another miracle move out of nowhere. He should also change his goal from a first division of J-league to a second division. Second division is still make a lot of money, even if it's not a crazy unlimited money like a first division.
May 21, 2022 5:47 AM

May 2021
"I wasn't eavesdropping, just listening to y'all talking without your knowledge." - Aoi

Understandable why he would lack situational awareness. He has been playing in a team where his teammates nearly always pass the ball to him and allow him to score. Their play completely revolved around Aoi. It doesn't help that the opponents he came across weren't on the same level as those he finds in this club.
RioFSMay 21, 2022 7:06 AM

May 21, 2022 6:29 AM
Sep 2021
i like the show but it pisses me off how dumb he is sometimes. that goal he scored was pretty epic tho.
May 21, 2022 6:35 AM

Jun 2021
Damn, Ashito got exposed.
May 21, 2022 6:42 AM
Apr 2022
it's frustrating but i can understand why aoi can't keep up w the youth players; he didnt have a proper training before let alone players he could practice w who are on his level, no field education whatsoever the only reason he played football was bc he liked it; it's only the beginning of his journey in tokyo I won't judge his outgoing personality neither his play atm I'll wait for him to grow as a player under professional guidance. my only complaint is coach date announcing verdict on aoi's future when the poor boy hasn't even spent a week in club, teach him first then be the judge of how much he can nurture his talent pftt
May 21, 2022 7:06 AM

Apr 2014
I liked the episode. I liked that they showcased something like situational awareness, adjusting their style of play and the impact of having or not having that ability. This is awesome. And it was somewhat nice to see Aoi constantly failing because he has no clue about it. It does justify a bit that he was particularly stupid and arrogant in this episode.

But I still think the story needs polishing. Like how strange the sponsor's daughter was introduced and so on.
May 21, 2022 7:26 AM

Feb 2021
The look on Hana's face was precious when she realised that Aoi had been listening in on their conversation and when he asked for the bento lol

Another episode where Hana-chan reminds us why she's the best girl of this show

Everyone (at least everyone on Aoi's team) was being somewhat rash and selfish which is expected when you wanna get into the A-Team. But it's disrupting the main aspect of soccer i.e. 'team sport'

What does Togashi have against the junior youth guys like Kuroda? The promoted players are more well versed in the tactics and techniques than in having the raw potential to become a good player. Aoi surely is behind in comparison to a lot of players since he never really had any formal training that a lot of the other players had.

Coach Date might be strict and all but he sure spits some facts. All of his thoughts on Aoi are actually spot on and show his flaws and problems pretty well.

Togashi sure plays rough. Also, Asari is one hell of a defender and Kuroda sure has some skills.

Great episode!
DeonXMay 21, 2022 8:13 AM

May 21, 2022 7:43 AM
Nov 2019
Aoi Ashito's strongest point is "individualised temporary bird's eye view instinct"
Meaning he reflexively uses bird's eye view for a short period of time when it's convenient for him without ever realising it and that exact strongest point creates his strongest weakness which is "lack of tactical situational awareness"
Meaning because of his individualised bird's eye view instinct he lacks the tactical aspect of adapting with the changes in the rhythm of play. It's evident for all the players selected through "tryouts" and "scouting"
But Aoi Ashito's extreme strong point makes it difficult for him overcome the weakness. The "character narrative" just got interesting.
May 21, 2022 7:48 AM
May 2022
Just bear with Ashito guys. He's still learning and basically a kid but he'll gonna surprise you with his major character development (development of all of them actually) in the future. Trust the process. Anyway, good episode.
May 21, 2022 7:50 AM
Oct 2016
Aoi doing well at first but naturally can't sustain it. As a player you can't rely on instinct to get you by. One must know how to formulate plans and tactics to help yourself succeed. Its not plausible to go by the seat of your pants the whole time you're on the field. We could see the negative effects of Aoi not really coordinating with his team. He knows basic tactics for the team but not really any for himself. Scoring that early goal can be chalked up to Aoi taking Asari the other team by surprise. Afterwards things tighten up on defense and Aoi falters a lot. He needs to work on his teamwork, its easy in a game like this with a promotion on the line to think selfishly but Aoi has to sharpen his tactics and work better with his teammates.
May 21, 2022 7:55 AM

Apr 2018
Seems like we're more into drama than sport in the serie, should have noticed it sooner. Anyway, Aoi's unable to keep up with the rest of the players which is understandable. He only knows how to play for himself, curious on how he'll develop this kind of skill.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
May 21, 2022 7:57 AM

Jul 2021
Another great episode, yup I think the coach and the president's daughter are correct, Aoi should devise a strategy similar to what he did when he first met Tatsuya Fukada when Aoi took the wallet and spread the coins and explained that it was all part of his plan and how he remembered the entire field and position. I believe he let his pride get in the way, and he can't only rely on his talents while zoning out; he also has to focus and plan a strategy.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

May 21, 2022 9:03 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Ah yes another splendid interaction coming up from Hana and Aoi. Its a bit sad though, with Hana flat reaction when he called her cute. I thought there's some cute blushing face again from her, but she's so serious back then. Though, what a minute, what's your dream is about, Hana? You'll do what? Marry him? Lol xd...

Alright, the match has began, and Aoi already showed his pen ultimate move surprising all the people already. Unfortunately it's too fast to make everyone proud of him. Since the time still kicking, the opponent finally manage to shut him down, and the own team suddenly changed the play style without Aoi even realizing that and get alienated. Poor boy lack of awareness...

But don't worry, there's a training time for you in a next episode later. So, yeah, get an experience you need from those match and learn to be a better, boy!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 21, 2022 10:31 AM

Jul 2014
Aoi has to step up his game, you can't go with the brainless football
May 21, 2022 11:32 AM

May 2020
When you realize you're the only scorer of the game and still your teammates ghosting you...

Though getting down here will only result in rejection, hope Aoi gets himself up from the rut.
May 21, 2022 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
we going to ignore the goal was offside?
May 21, 2022 1:55 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
It didn't take long for Aoi to get exposed in his first youth match. Sure he scored that opening goal, but Aoi got shut down completely when Asari started guarding him. Now Aoi has become more of a liability and his team has adjusted their game plan by not giving the ball to him. It seems that Coach Nozomi's was right on the money about Aoi's ability and I agree with him that Aoi at his current level doesn't know the fundamentals of the game and his lack of situational awareness make him look like a deer in the headlights and out of sync with the rest of the players who are just as good or better than him.

This one of the many learning curves that Aoi has to overcome which will be addressed by additional training in the next couple of episodes.

I'm writing this while I'm wearing a soccer t-shirt representing Jamaica.
May 21, 2022 2:41 PM

Oct 2016
I'll never get tired of Ashito's weird expressions xD

Glad that they're pointing out his flaws early though. The sooner they acknowledge the problem, the sooner they can start working on it.
May 21, 2022 3:02 PM
Apr 2019
MickDH said:

I don't think so. It was stated that Masako broke the defense line by moving forward , so the last defender is Asari, not Masako
nabewryMay 22, 2022 12:41 AM
May 21, 2022 3:06 PM
Sep 2020
GingZ said:
Aoi has to step up his game, you can't go with the brainless football
in the manga both Takeshima and Asari were playing him onside. Basically the defensive line got penetrated.
May 21, 2022 3:10 PM
Apr 2019
Peepsqueeker said:
I know it's part of his personality but he sounds waaaaaay too arrogant, the way he blurts out things that he's going to do makes him look even worse when he doesn't pull it off.

People like this would never be included in their plays if he keeps trying to go at it alone, heck if I were his teammate I would rather play the ball back or wide than give him the ball in an attacking position. He wants to go pro but he's going at it like it's a bunch of friends playing on a random field in the summer.

He was still conflicted by the family and economic weight he bear now. He acknowledged that he's being selfish, but atm, he thought he need to show off to be recruited by team A fast. That's also why last eps he tryna find some times alone to focus instead of being over energetic on the field like he usually does. This training match is a huge thing for him. Too bad, for now he still not able to handle this well. But this is part of his learning journey, this kinda failure is needed for him to be stronger.
May 21, 2022 4:18 PM

Sep 2015
MickDH said:

He came from behind and broke the defensive line. Maybe the choice of camera angles wasn't the best to show the play properly, but it is a common goal: the centre back lose him in just one second.
May 21, 2022 7:40 PM

Apr 2008
I'm finding the terminology confusing. Apparently Aoi is good at team tactics and intuition but not at individual tactics. By which they mean adapting to the team and quickly understanding what they're doing. You know, I probably would have called that team tactics and intuition if anything...

The words aren't the point, though. The silliest bit of this is the teacher instantly asserting that because the new guys don't have the same teamwork skills as the ones that have been learning together for years they can't have them. Seems like a real bad attitude for a teacher.
May 21, 2022 8:10 PM

Jun 2019
Aoi and Hana have good chemistry together and their relationship isn’t too generic. Aoi’s first goal was clever. Animation still in’t great but it gets the job done. Might be the best episode so far.
May 21, 2022 8:56 PM

Nov 2013
Bio said:
I'm finding the terminology confusing. Apparently Aoi is good at team tactics and intuition but not at individual tactics. By which they mean adapting to the team and quickly understanding what they're doing. You know, I probably would have called that team tactics and intuition if anything...

The words aren't the point, though. The silliest bit of this is the teacher instantly asserting that because the new guys don't have the same teamwork skills as the ones that have been learning together for years they can't have them. Seems like a real bad attitude for a teacher.

The teacher comparing Aoi to the other new recruits who were quickly adapted to the change of tactics. Aoi barely keep up with that. It's pretty reasonable for me. I think it's necessary to give a harsh remark like that in education, especially in pro football, to speed up their development.
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
May 21, 2022 9:02 PM

Nov 2013
Peepsqueeker said:
I know it's part of his personality but he sounds waaaaaay too arrogant, the way he blurts out things that he's going to do makes him look even worse when he doesn't pull it off.

People like this would never be included in their plays if he keeps trying to go at it alone, heck if I were his teammate I would rather play the ball back or wide than give him the ball in an attacking position. He wants to go pro but he's going at it like it's a bunch of friends playing on a random field in the summer.

No, that arrogantness is necessary for attacker. It's not uncommon to see a team rely on one player to beat their opponent 1 on 1. The problem with Aoi is his ball skills are still pretty poor and he can't beat Asari 1 on 1. His teammates realize that and stop giving Aoi the ball.
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
May 21, 2022 9:59 PM

Jul 2016
So basically Ashito is too "dumb" and self-centered to understand simple game tactics and also seems to struggle a lot when it comes to sudden changes in play-styles and stuff. Understandable given his humble origins but man was it frustrating to see. Still a pretty solid episode tho.

Now on a side note, it seemed to me that Ashito was offside when he scored that goal. I mean, the camera angle they chose was horrible and Yuuma's pass looked like it occurred way too late.
May 22, 2022 12:17 AM
Jun 2021
Yikes, not looking good for Aoi. He thinks he improved his ball skills but his friends are not very good players so it's understandable why there is no improvement in that area. I wouldve also struggled with concepts at his age like 'reading the pass' but he should at least know to not hog the ball. He keeps trying (and failing) to beat Asari which I like his tenacity but it's been shown before that his ball hoarding has led to losses.
May 22, 2022 12:23 AM
Sep 2018
I know aoi is just amateur, never have professional training, but at least know ur limit, pass to other if u can't cross the defender, just too dumb episode..
May 22, 2022 12:46 AM
Apr 2019
dylelouch said:
MickDH said:

He came from behind and broke the defensive line. Maybe the choice of camera angles wasn't the best to show the play properly, but it is a common goal: the centre back lose him in just one second.

yeah, the camera was bad in the anime. In the manga, they used a birds eye view so it's more clear it's not offside.

Here's the manga pic for that
Red is Masako
Blue is Aoi movement
Green is previous offside line from Asari

Masako just broke th defense line so bad, he moves forward the other defender.
May 22, 2022 8:22 AM

Aug 2021
Well, this is much better than the last. Wouldn't take back the fact that the coach was wrong for spilling like that. There's always a chance of improving. If he put it this way in the last episode I'd not be half as mad as I was.

It's manga/anime and Aoi is the main character so obviously, he's going to beat this obstacle somehow just wish we could see it immediately. Definitely getting on with the manga once this season ends.
May 22, 2022 10:00 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I don't care if he is tactically more clueless than ole at the wheel, I'll make Ao the captain of FC Tokyo if it means a date with his mom.... I'll sell out my team for a date.

May 22, 2022 2:54 PM
Oct 2019
guy at 17:06 is like 60yo what he is doing there?
May 22, 2022 3:01 PM
Dec 2017
I disagree with the coach that "individual tactics" is the problem for Aoi. He is an instinctive player with a natural feel for the game. That is totally fine. His biggest problem is his lack of trust in his team. He never passes the ball and always tries to do everything himself. That type of selfish play is not going to work at the high level of competition they are playing at.
May 23, 2022 2:14 AM

Oct 2008
main phrase of this episode: "A player who can't think for himself will never advance."
It doesn't matter how good are you individually when attacking/scoring if without teamwork strategy, you lose.
5/5.

May 23, 2022 1:03 PM
Jun 2017
She is rooting for him just because he reminds him of certain someone(her brother probably)......already feeling disappointed with her reasons. How i am gonna know in future that she is supporting him not because he gives her nostalgia of "certain Someone" but actually him being himself.????--__--
Shubs251May 23, 2022 10:01 PM
May 23, 2022 9:58 PM
Jun 2017
natsu0398 said:
it's frustrating but i can understand why aoi can't keep up w the youth players; he didnt have a proper training before let alone players he could practice w who are on his level, no field education whatsoever the only reason he played football was bc he liked it; it's only the beginning of his journey in tokyo I won't judge his outgoing personality neither his play atm I'll wait for him to grow as a player under professional guidance. my only complaint is coach date announcing verdict on aoi's future when the poor boy hasn't even spent a week in club, teach him first then be the judge of how much he can nurture his talent pftt

Exactly.....he is coach just for NAME i guess, he was spittin' immaturity.
May 24, 2022 10:19 AM

Jun 2016
aoi is just a dumb wild monkey with a bit talent ..
May 25, 2022 11:27 AM

Nov 2012
decent ep, not crazy about the junior youth guys or the scouted guy yet, but I like the other two from his try outs.

we've seen Aoi's work ethic already so seems stupid to write him off for any short comings, he's obviously gonna train like hell. I guess at least the main manager guy sees that.
JVskunkapeMay 25, 2022 11:31 AM
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
May 25, 2022 2:10 PM
Jul 2020
Asari Jun is really a good defender, also Kuroda is a midfielder who can quite understand the state of the game.

May 26, 2022 2:27 PM

Jun 2013
anime started strong but gradually becomes worse and worse
May 27, 2022 12:43 AM
Apr 2022
ThEoNePugNA said:
anime started strong but gradually becomes worse and worse
pacing Ao Ashi is slow if u can't just drop and go wait, watch Blue Lock
May 30, 2022 10:44 AM

Oct 2017
He can overcome this, he's the protagonist after all.
Jun 18, 2022 6:29 AM

Jul 2019
In real life player like Aoi wouldnt get anywhere near a youth team he just dont know how to play in a team lol
Sep 2, 2022 12:42 AM

Jan 2022
Once again our MC's selfish playing style rears its ugly head. I cannot stress how much defenders love to go up against these kinds of players, those who try to take the opposition on head first, refuse to pass, and fail to listen to their team mates. These forwards are easy pickings and same with our boy here. They also happen to be a nightmare to deal with when they're on your team. I can't blame his team mate for giving him the cold shoulder...I ain't proud to admit that I have yelled at fellow players during games for doing such things too.

At least he got Hana rootin for him tho!
-insert NGE meme here-
Oct 3, 2022 9:51 AM

Jan 2014
Well this was where i dropped the show, personally for me at least the way they go about the various football aspects of this show it just comes of as stupid, ridicules and rather laughable over the top with common sense clearly thrown hard out the window and into another galaxy. I really tried liking this show but it's just so frustrating to watch because it makes so little sense, to the point it gets annoying. Need to take with a truck load of salt to enjoy, to much for me.. 4/10 dropped
Oct 15, 2022 11:28 PM
Jun 2021
ClickNot said:
Well this was where i dropped the show, personally for me at least the way they go about the various football aspects of this show it just comes of as stupid, ridicules and rather laughable over the top with common sense clearly thrown hard out the window and into another galaxy. I really tried liking this show but it's just so frustrating to watch because it makes so little sense, to the point it gets annoying. Need to take with a truck load of salt to enjoy, to much for me.. 4/10 dropped

I agree, why he wants tactical sense with 14~15 years boys, a lot of PRO ADULTS dont have. The author mess up in this episode
Oct 19, 2022 1:54 AM

Aug 2019
It was hilarious to see Togashi casually eavesdropping on Aoi and Hana. I'm still getting used to Aoi's constant yelling, like dude is always yelling. Wearing headphones while watching this anime is excruciating because of Aoi lmao.

And I don't like how Aoi is talking to Toogashi or how he isn't passing the ball to his teammates much, he's being selfish and self-centred there. Of course, this episode is a wake-up call for Aoi. It's his first match, so I'll give him some slack, I'm sure he'll learn from it.
Nov 29, 2022 4:57 AM

Feb 2021
I don't know why but He's the same as me when playing soccer ball. I don't understand all that tactics on soccer ball :(
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Ashi Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Sep 24, 2022

225 by Shantanubarman »»
Apr 17, 11:36 PM

» Second season announcement

Ale054 - Nov 7, 2022

11 by bsiebert25 »»
Apr 13, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Ao Ashi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - May 28, 2022

56 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 1, 1:41 AM

Poll: » Ao Ashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - May 7, 2022

148 by _sporsho_ »»
Mar 12, 4:25 AM

Poll: » Ao Ashi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 30, 2022

73 by Cansancio_ »»
Jan 7, 6:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.