Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2022 9:28 PM

Jul 2017
Finally, it all comes down to this: Ryo Hazuki's revenge against Lan Di on top of the Yellow Head Building, and Zhu Yuanda giving Lan Di the answer that he most desired: back in Bailu Village. The fight on top of the Yellow Head Building with Dou Niu vs. Ryo, and the latter makes use of the 4 Wude that he learnt to full effect to counter the bold-sized Yellow Head boss.

The plot spread wide open with Zhu's side of the story about Ryo's father and Lan Di's revenge, the phoenix and dragon medallion mirrors made out of Phantom River Stone, and his final destination: Bailu Village in Guilin. So sets the final sequence of events from the super-short final Disc 4 of Shenmue II, and Ryo sets out to Guilin to piece the answers to the unanswered questions, and finally meet Shenhua to put her father, the Shenmue tree and the cave (where both the Dragon and Phoenix mirrors coincide) to rest.

The story goes on...in Shenmue III.

Overall, a faithful adaptation that doesn't cut too many corners of the original games. To see an anime adaptation of Shenmue after more than 2 decades, this was a nice treat to follow for 3 months. Congrats as you've watched both games come to the small screen.
Apr 30, 2022 9:46 PM

Jul 2011
I feel that Lan Di didn't dislocated Ryo arm out of pity, on that first attack.

Shenmue! That's the name of the of the series! Amazing! Wow wow wow.

So....that "Story goes on...". I hope means that will have an anime for Shenmue 3, because Im kinda lazy to play the game.
Apr 30, 2022 9:48 PM

Jul 2017
Giant cuts in Guilin aside, it was a good episode that tried to wrap things up as best they could with one episode left.

The fights were animated really well and there was some nice closure. I really hope this gets a season 2 and we get to see Shenmue 3 have its own 10 episode season, as it'd benefit from some changes and fixes to its story. I still want Shenmue 4 so I'd rather they don't go beyond 3 haha.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2022 9:56 PM
Jul 2008
As an anime only watcher, it's quite interesting but there are boring parts too like Wude of the week section.

This anime reminds me of oldies kungfu movies and manga like Chinmi which made me quite nostalgic as fighting anime nowadays use superpowers a lot.

-----------

I have a question for those who played the game. Did those skills he obtained, are real skills that can be used? Like the kick from above he used to kick the fat man face.
Apr 30, 2022 9:59 PM

Feb 2019
So it’s been over a decade since I played the game, but this would have covered shemnue 1 and 2 right? If so, shenmue 3 would definitely need a full one cour anime to wrap things up.

I think this episode was pretty solid, honestly made me a little sad to see it end with how they closed everyone in Hong King’s arcs out. Felt like I was Ryo leaving friends behind. Nice finale
Apr 30, 2022 10:05 PM

May 2019
One thing i must say, Yu Suzuki-San is a master blueballer, the cliffhanger ending is so perfectly on point and on brand for him. A most faithful adaptation of the the first and second game.

THE STORY GOES ON...

Apr 30, 2022 10:06 PM

Mar 2014
The real Shenmue was the trees we made along the way. /s

I knew Lan Di had an angst scar too! But now the mystery to solve is whether his vengeful murder was justified. Kinda weird they put that final scene at the start of the season though. They really starting to move things fast with the mystical mystery mirror magic mumbo jumbo. "I made this mirror, my purpose is fulfilled, think of this sword as me and entrust yourself to whoever shows up with it" yeah sure ok
May 1, 2022 12:01 AM
Sep 2015
If i remember correctly the ending scene is the opening scene of the first episode? Anyway, I don't want that new woman to get near Ryo when Ren should be with him instead.
May 1, 2022 12:35 AM

Jun 2021
"It's a fucking bullshit forklift simulator for assholes. You people have been fucking fooled. That game was never that good, it was like a bunch of half-assed ideas put together in a way you'd never seen before." - Jeff Gertsmann

I have a confession to make. I never had any Sega consoles growing up (we might have had a Saturn but I can't remember). I was very much a Nintendo child, so I never played any of Sega's big franchises in their heyday. So with that being said, I never played Shenmue. But as time went on, I feel like I didn't really need to, as the general consensus is while the concept of the games was groundbreaking at the time, they have aged horribly and might have not been very good even when they came out. Nevertheless, I never experienced the games and the story which people say, is good.

That all being said, this was a very enjoyable adaptation. The characters don't look like blocky, square-faced dumbasses (which for some reason they kept for Ryo in a game that came out in 2019!), the story feels better paced, and a lot of the faff was taken out in favour of a progression that feels natural and makes a lot more sense. If this was Yu Suzuki's vision from the very beginning (he ditched the whole video game idea and instead decided to write a long-form shonuen anime), we would have been saying "how brilliant". But because of the franchise's legacy, I'm sure it feels very carthatic for long-time fans to have waited 23 years for the story of Shenmue to finally receive justice.

Now that our boy Ryo has arrived in Bailu Village and met up with Shenhua, this show comes to an end. Now, if Crunchyroll and Adult Swim do decide to make a second season adapting Shenmue III, I think it'd be in their best interests to write a somewhat original narrative.

If they don't decide to adapt Shenmue III, I know a certain OTHER open world Sega franchise with a scowling Japanese guy who beats people up they can have some fun with...

8 out of 10. The reverse Danganronpa in a lot of ways, in that they took a shit game and made a good anime out of it.
May 1, 2022 1:08 AM

Aug 2016
Nice rooftop fight, glad they used the same finisher.

They managed to fit Bailu Village and Shenhua in, though it was rushed.

And the show ends as did the games, stuck in a cave, hopefully not for as long.

Finger crossed for Season 2, they could probably fit the entire story of Shenmue 3 into two episodes easily and have lots of time to continue the tale.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
May 1, 2022 3:14 AM
Jan 2020
Just announce a sequel, I'm too lazy to play the game
May 1, 2022 4:00 AM

Nov 2016
Anime only here. This was a surpsingly fun and cohesive game adaptation. They should more often stick to games that are simple to adapt + I digged the 80s/90s martial arts movie flair.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 1, 2022 4:47 AM

Nov 2020
Great adaptation! In the end they managed to put the last disc of Shenmue 2.

I recommend the games to all because are awesome in all aspects and have many things different. Waiting for Season 2!

LeonLanford said:

I have a question for those who played the game. Did those skills he obtained, are real skills that can be used? Like the kick from above he used to kick the fat man face.

Yes, the games have many more skills to learn.
-Hyunckel-May 1, 2022 5:38 AM
May 1, 2022 4:51 AM

Feb 2021
KANLen09 said:
Finally, it all comes down to this: Ryo Hazuki's revenge against Lan Di on top of the Yellow Head Building, and Zhu Yuanda giving Lan Di the answer that he most desired: back in Bailu Village. The fight on top of the Yellow Head Building with Dou Niu vs. Ryo, and the latter makes use of the 4 Wude that he learnt to full effect to counter the bold-sized Yellow Head boss.

The plot spread wide open with Zhu's side of the story about Ryo's father and Lan Di's revenge, the phoenix and dragon medallion mirrors made out of Phantom River Stone, and his final destination: Bailu Village in Guilin. So sets the final sequence of events from the super-short final Disc 4 of Shenmue II, and Ryo sets out to Guilin to piece the answers to the unanswered questions, and finally meet Shenhua to put her father, the Shenmue tree and the cave (where both the Dragon and Phoenix mirrors coincide) to rest.

The story goes on...in Shenmue III.

Overall, a faithful adaptation that doesn't cut too many corners of the original games. To see an anime adaptation of Shenmue after more than 2 decades, this was a nice treat to follow for 3 months. Congrats as you've watched both games come to the small screen.

BlichoBoy said:
I feel that Lan Di didn't dislocated Ryo arm out of pity, on that first attack.

Shenmue! That's the name of the of the series! Amazing! Wow wow wow.

So....that "Story goes on...". I hope means that will have an anime for Shenmue 3, because Im kinda lazy to play the game.

RetroLord120 said:
Giant cuts in Guilin aside, it was a good episode that tried to wrap things up as best they could with one episode left.

The fights were animated really well and there was some nice closure. I really hope this gets a season 2 and we get to see Shenmue 3 have its own 10 episode season, as it'd benefit from some changes and fixes to its story. I still want Shenmue 4 so I'd rather they don't go beyond 3 haha.

Marinate1016 said:
So it’s been over a decade since I played the game, but this would have covered shemnue 1 and 2 right? If so, shenmue 3 would definitely need a full one cour anime to wrap things up.

I think this episode was pretty solid, honestly made me a little sad to see it end with how they closed everyone in Hong King’s arcs out. Felt like I was Ryo leaving friends behind. Nice finale

GAMEOVERLOSER said:
"It's a fucking bullshit forklift simulator for assholes. You people have been fucking fooled. That game was never that good, it was like a bunch of half-assed ideas put together in a way you'd never seen before." - Jeff Gertsmann

I have a confession to make. I never had any Sega consoles growing up (we might have had a Saturn but I can't remember). I was very much a Nintendo child, so I never played any of Sega's big franchises in their heyday. So with that being said, I never played Shenmue. But as time went on, I feel like I didn't really need to, as the general consensus is while the concept of the games was groundbreaking at the time, they have aged horribly and might have not been very good even when they came out. Nevertheless, I never experienced the games and the story which people say, is good.

That all being said, this was a very enjoyable adaptation. The characters don't look like blocky, square-faced dumbasses (which for some reason they kept for Ryo in a game that came out in 2019!), the story feels better paced, and a lot of the faff was taken out in favour of a progression that feels natural and makes a lot more sense. If this was Yu Suzuki's vision from the very beginning (he ditched the whole video game idea and instead decided to write a long-form shonuen anime), we would have been saying "how brilliant". But because of the franchise's legacy, I'm sure it feels very carthatic for long-time fans to have waited 23 years for the story of Shenmue to finally receive justice.

Now that our boy Ryo has arrived in Bailu Village and met up with Shenhua, this show comes to an end. Now, if Crunchyroll and Adult Swim do decide to make a second season adapting Shenmue III, I think it'd be in their best interests to write a somewhat original narrative.

If they don't decide to adapt Shenmue III, I know a certain OTHER open world Sega franchise with a scowling Japanese guy who beats people up they can have some fun with...

8 out of 10. The reverse Danganronpa in a lot of ways, in that they took a shit game and made a good anime out of it.

JokerVentura said:
Nice rooftop fight, glad they used the same finisher.

They managed to fit Bailu Village and Shenhua in, though it was rushed.

And the show ends as did the games, stuck in a cave, hopefully not for as long.

Finger crossed for Season 2, they could probably fit the entire story of Shenmue 3 into two episodes easily and have lots of time to continue the tale.

Ronninn said:
Just announce a sequel, I'm too lazy to play the game

-Hyunckel- said:
Great adaptation! In the end they managed to put the last disc of Shenmue 2.

I recommend the games to all because are awesome in all aspects and have many things different. Waiting for Season 2!

LeonLanford said:

Yes, the games have many more skills to learn.

Yes!! Really amazing game adaptation! Because the creator of the game itself supervised all the production!! I really hope for more seasons of Shenmue!!
phantomfandom said:
If i remember correctly the ending scene is the opening scene of the first episode? Anyway, I don't want that new woman to get near Ryo when Ren should be with him instead.

Yes, exactly!!
May 1, 2022 10:19 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So the series ends just like how it started with Ryo and Shenhua in the cave with the Phoenix mirror. I really like this adaptation of the Shenmue games which I never got into because I was a PlayStation guy growing up. The anime managed to take out negative and boring aspects of the game and streamlined the game's story so that everyone can understand. I would really like another season that would not only adapt Shenmue III's story, but give the series a proper conclusion since its unlikely that we would see another Shenmue game in the future.

7/10
May 1, 2022 3:26 PM

Sep 2011
5/10 the Shenmue 1 part was fun to watch but the Shenmue 2 part was a boring, repetitive slog with a rushed cliffhanger ending
May 1, 2022 3:49 PM

Jun 2015
Speechless.

As a long-time Shenmue fan, I'm so grateful that this anime is a thing. Reportedly, it did well, so it's up to us fans to let Adult Swim know that we want more :D

As for the episode itself, it was pretty much perfect. The fight against Dou Niu, Ryo saying his goodbyes in Hong Kong, it was all done incredibly well. I just wish we got at least some forest chatter with Shenhua and/or the cave scene, but I still really really liked the second half of the episode. That last scene will probably continue to give me goosebumps forever <3
May 1, 2022 4:35 PM

Dec 2016
This was a fun ride and I'll give a 7/10 for this :D I never would have guessed the word Shenmue was the name of a tree. And a beautiful one too! This needs a sequel cuz I don't think this should have ended without Ryo beat up Lan Di's ass (if he did in later game that is).

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
May 1, 2022 10:44 PM

Apr 2015
So it is over. I never played the games, but just knowing this actually was the story of Shenmue 1 and 2. I am surprised that this series didn't feel that rushed. (Except of course the very end)

I also just watch a fast summary of Shenmue 3 and now i think i get it why so many people got angry. But anyway i hope Shenmue 4 happens.

Really enjoyed the series and might play the games in a near future, i like how corny a lot of the dialogues are, it has charm and remembers that old fight anime like Street fighter. Solid 7/10 we need shirtless Ryo fight.
ScarRufusMay 1, 2022 10:49 PM
May 2, 2022 3:21 PM

Feb 2021
AddaeAkono said:
So the series ends just like how it started with Ryo and Shenhua in the cave with the Phoenix mirror. I really like this adaptation of the Shenmue games which I never got into because I was a PlayStation guy growing up. The anime managed to take out negative and boring aspects of the game and streamlined the game's story so that everyone can understand. I would really like another season that would not only adapt Shenmue III's story, but give the series a proper conclusion since its unlikely that we would see another Shenmue game in the future.

7/10

I hope for the announce soon!
PurpleGirl203 said:
This was a fun ride and I'll give a 7/10 for this :D I never would have guessed the word Shenmue was the name of a tree. And a beautiful one too! This needs a sequel cuz I don't think this should have ended without Ryo beat up Lan Di's ass (if he did in later game that is).

Yes, I also didn't know that! It needs a sequel to properly adapt the remaning game!
ScarRufus said:
So it is over. I never played the games, but just knowing this actually was the story of Shenmue 1 and 2. I am surprised that this series didn't feel that rushed. (Except of course the very end)

I also just watch a fast summary of Shenmue 3 and now i think i get it why so many people got angry. But anyway i hope Shenmue 4 happens.

Really enjoyed the series and might play the games in a near future, i like how corny a lot of the dialogues are, it has charm and remembers that old fight anime like Street fighter. Solid 7/10 we need shirtless Ryo fight.

Two of the games were cancelled. Only 3 games are in total. I really hope for the next season to cover the remaining game! I also haven'played the games.
May 3, 2022 10:26 AM

Jul 2015
While Ryou has learned a lot so far, he certainly has ways to go before beating Dan Li up.

Haven't played the games so I don't know how this adaptation measures up but I quite enjoyed it for its old-school vibes and the feel of the story playing out like an actual videogame.

May 4, 2022 8:42 AM

Nov 2009
Now, let's see season 2. Pretty please.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
May 4, 2022 4:35 PM

Sep 2011
This was a really solid adaptation all things considered for how video game adaptions typically go, the problem with it simply is shenmue as a whole is kind of more interesting because of how the video games told it (ie you are the detective going around figuring out where to go yourself and getting immersed in the envirement) but the actual core story while not bad, just isnt all that eventful when only highlighting the plot largely cause the series was cut short before it ever really had much pay off.

I appreciate that this existed at all though, there was a novelty to it though it just feels like kicking me while im down for reliving the cliffhanger knowing its probably not gonna get continued. Granted we got 3 but I'll believe seeing a 4 when i see it, this feels like a done deal with all the negativity surrounding the game and I think most people wouldnt even bother giving this anime a chance cause of it let alone the games.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 13, 2022 12:30 PM

Jun 2015
Sweet baby gods you praiy to did the episode bring it home. I've technically not finished it as the intro started mid way through, but I need another season. I did like how main bad guy hovered about in his helicopter to witness his nemesis fight. But its paradoxical, as a wise person once said, violence begets violence!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
May 26, 2022 10:34 AM

Feb 2015
Ryo defeated Dou Niu quite quickly. In the game, this was a pretty tough fight. Probably took me around 10 tries until I finally beat him. ^^

Overall I'm very pleased with this adaptation. Very faithful to the games, even though I think the mysterious vibe, that you got while exploring the world, was mostly lost.
Sep 12, 2022 11:54 AM

Apr 2020
I tried the first game when it came out on PC and got bored terribly. The game didn't age well at all.
Now with the anime I got bored again lol. Ryo is still the same bland MC I remember from the game and the side characters aren't that much better.
I do like that Joy is pretty much Nami's lost sister. Sadly she is way less interesting.
4/10. I'll never understand the hype of Shenmue.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Jan 3, 2023 7:48 AM

Jun 2013
I thought it was an okay series. I haven't played the games but I read up on the story a little bit and had the basic idea. I honestly liked the characters and the setting but it did feel boring from time to time. The story is still continuing but I hope we don't have to wait a lot for a season 2 like the games.
Apr 5, 2023 5:16 PM

Aug 2014
I enjoyed it overall. There were some parts that felt rushed due to it being translated from segments of the game.
I hope the story does conclude because the games has not aged well. Not sure I want to play those games to get the story
Feb 9, 3:45 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
I liked the series overall. I would not recommend it to anyone who hasn't played the games though. My sentiment is seemingly echoed throughout this thread and people who played the games tend to get more enjoyment out of it.

With that being said, the journey of the games felt so much grander than a small series could replicate. For example, the moment when Ryo meets Shenhua and you are finally introduced to the Shenmue tree is a super emotional moment in the games. Just an inevitable shortcoming that everything was going to seem rushed in comparison to a long game.

Side Note: The games have aged fine it's just a matter of what you as an individual prefer. The remastered versions are 100% playable on PC along with the added benefit of being able to play in Japanese with subs. This isn't coming from a place of nostalgia for me as I only 100% completed them around five years ago.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shenmue the Animation Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 12, 2022

21 by divlyfein »»
Feb 1, 12:33 PM

Poll: » Shenmue the Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Vysarine - Feb 5, 2022

75 by divlyfein »»
Feb 1, 12:21 PM

» Second season as been canceled

Katzu_kun - Sep 30, 2022

29 by TarikKabir »»
Nov 19, 2023 1:44 PM

» Why is this rated R-17 when the games are teen?

AkihitoZero1224 - Nov 30, 2022

3 by TheRealRouges »»
Dec 1, 2022 12:04 AM

Poll: » Shenmue the Animation Episode 3 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 19, 2022

15 by TarikKabir »»
Nov 24, 2022 7:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.